Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

My Linux Rig posted:

I dunno I think I still have a 50/50 chance with these two doors

plane takes off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
mlr was dead the whole time

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
2nd floor

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:bsdsnype:

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
I love butts

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
also

quote:

1) Furry fandom is a community of incredibly artistic people, full of painters, writers, musicians, and entertainers, who organize, put together huge international conventions, and raise hundreds of thousands for charity while contributing tens of millions of dollars to local economies of the cities hosting those conventions. The only thing SA contributed is to make fun of them.

quote:

1) Furry fandom is a community of incredibly artistic people, full of painters, writers, musicians, and entertainers, who organize, put together huge international conventions, and raise hundreds of thousands for charity while contributing tens of millions of dollars to local economies of the cities hosting those conventions. The only thing SA contributed is to make fun of them.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
laff

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

finally we see the heroes of the revolution.

study these faces and remember them well, for they are your saviours.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

My grandmother recently died, and as you can imagine it was a pretty tough time for the family. In all honesty though, it was a bit of a mercy. She was extremely elderly, in pain a lot of the time, and her mind was starting to go. She had a good life, and she was the kind of woman who would have wanted us to celebrate her life at her funeral. To say we were in high spirits at the wake is misleading, it was, after all, a funeral. But she died peacefully rather than tragically, and the atmosphere was warm and friendly. Perhaps it is a consequence of our Irish heritage.

We live in a fairly small community, and we've been using the same undertakers for generations. Of course we're never pleased to see them, but they are nice people and a trusted help in tough times. We invited them to join us for a drink at the wake, and a few of them accepted. I was chatting away to one of them, and in the course of the conversation it transpired that we share an interest in libertarian politics. I'm a Bitcoin evangelist, and although it might seem like an inappropriate occasion I couldn't resist spreading at least a few words of the Bitcoin gospel to someone I thought might be receptive. I knew Grammy wouldn't have minded, although she never could get her head around Bitcoin. Especially towards the end.

To my great surprise he'd not only heard of Bitcoin, but he was an active proponent. He and his son had even set up a mining rig at the funeral parlor. We chatted for a bit about Bitcoin, and I jokingly suggested that I'd settle the bill for the funeral in Bitcoins. I never for a minute thought he'd accept.

A few days later we'd hammered it all out, and I'd transferred several thousand dollars worth of Bitcoin to his address. He's done pretty well out of the deal so far, because this was just over a week ago and we all know what has happened since then.

This was the first real world service that I'd ever paid for in Bitcoins, and although I wish it was a happier occasion, I can't help feel like it is a fitting tribute to my grandmother's life.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
The heat from the mining rigs at the funeral parlor is recycled to help the cremation furnace

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Crust First posted:

it's more like

you choose a door at random, behind that door is a gox. you are goxxed. you choose another door. behind that door is a gox. you are goxxed. do you choose another door? yes, you are a savvy investor. how many doors could possibly have a gox anyway?

all of them. all of the doors.

QuarkJets posted:

You choose a door at random. The gameshow host opens one of the other doors, revealing a butt. The door that you chose has either another butt or a butt. If you switch doors, what's the probability that you'll be goxxed?
hey gently caress you

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
lol your bitcoin thread wasn't nearly as good as my bitcoin thread

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

OldAlias posted:

I'm a Bitcoin evangelist, and although it might seem like an inappropriate occasion I couldn't resist spreading at least a few words of the Bitcoin gospel

they're not even pretending it isn't a cult at this point

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

stoutfish posted:

through no fault of my own

i am a martyr for the buttlaff cause :emo:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

stoutfish posted:

yeah but your thread gave us this ghost infestation

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

idgi why so angry?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

maniacdevnull posted:

idgi why so angry?
being angry on the internet is remarkably undemanding

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Programmer Humor posted:

i'm not really a professional joke-maker, but i do have some nonetheless. check this out

"buttcoin" -me, 2014
not bad. could use a little further development. maybe some workshopping.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Sham bam bamina! posted:

being angry on the internet is remarkably undemanding

maybe you should chill and listen to that band that jim morrison was in, forget the name but they're pretty good

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

maniacdevnull posted:

idgi why so angry?

he asked to switch then monty hall gave him a sex change

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
monty hall offers you to exchange all your dirty fiat for glorious bitcoins. is it statistically beneficial to swap? the answer may surprise you

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
couldn't even go for a full page without making GBS threads up the new thread congrats you've reached byob attention span levels yospos

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

soon

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

god forbid we post some dumb bullshit in The Very Serious Bitcoin Thread

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
on topic

there's this anime that just finished up, directed by the guy who did cowboy bebop and other non-shameful stuff, it's called "terror in resonance" and it's basically about blowing up tokyo. the first couple of episodes featured stuff like tor and other tech security bits

then this happens in the fourth episode when the computer security section of the tokyo police are doing a presentation:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

flyboi posted:

couldn't even go for a full page without making GBS threads up the new thread congrats you've reached byob attention span levels yospos

bring back DPPH

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lets not do this again op

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

gas

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

bring back Monty Hall

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Sham bam bamina! posted:

through no fault of my own

i am a martyr for the buttlaff cause :emo:

u died 4 our sins :rip:

stay safe thread ghost

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I'm going to probate everyone who has posted in this thread up until now. God will know his own.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
I don't actually believe in the monty hall problem there's no proof out there that shows that switching makes your odds better

you have two doors and choose one, that's 50/50

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

OldAlias posted:

What bothers me is the SA culture in general. I've thought about it at length yesterday, and realized that SA are essentially a bunch of jealous ludites. Here are some examples why that is true:

2) SecondLife allowed for unprecedented communication, collaboration, and creativity. Players there got a chance to explore design, fashion, and architecture skills they never even knew they had. They used their creative skills to make new games, experiment with fashion in virtual space, and practice things like investment and business/real estate management before building real life businesses using those skills. People there earned from thousands to millions of dollars using nothing other than their brains and creativity. The only thing SA contributed is to make fun of them by making random penises fly around, and when told that they are causing serious damage and costing actual money, their only reply was, "don't take it so seriously."

3) Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent. We are only scratching the surface of what is possible with it. The only reason it has any value (and the thing SA seems to focus most on) is that it is impossible to duplicate, and has a guaranteed limit on quantity, which is extremely unusual in the copy/paste digital world. But besides inflation resistance, it can do awesome things like, for the first time ever, allow software to own valuable property. This was never possible before, w/ closest thing being that a program could control bank accounts or own contracts in someone else's name. Now, for the first time, it's possible for a program or a "virus" to own money, decide on its own how to spend it, and actually take it with it as it travels around the web. The possibilities for AI, concept of property, and ownership/copyright law are mind boggling. This is just one example of many that Bitcoin allows for, and those that realize such possibilities are working hard to make them come true, earning real money in the process (as much as $6,000 a day, or $2.3mil a year). The only thing SA has contributed was to willfully stay ignorant of basic finance and economics and make fun of those involved with bitcoinOther than that, all they are able to do is stare at the system without understanding it, or being able to figure out how to make anything out of it. As they have with SecondLife, or any other fandom or technology.

All this makes me think that SA goons have absolutely no imagination or drive. On the contrary, the group seems to be based around making fun of anyone who shows any sort of imagination, or attempts something out of the ordinary. They are like a pot of crabs, grabbing and dragging anyone who dares try to escape and achieve something back down with them. The group has no accomplishments to its name, other than being a nuisance to everyone else, and providing a circle-jerk of entertainment to its members in the style of bullying people they don't even want to understand. Any discovery of scammers or bad people in other communities is at most a purely accidental result of them being so eager to try to attack anything and anyone. This of course suggests that the SA group consists primarily of losers, who lack any initiative, imagination, or drive, and who's actions only suggest that they are jealous of those who do (which is perfectly exemplified by their whining about how Bitcoin is unfair, benefits early adopters, and their insistence on the belief that everyone involved with it is a selfish idiot who's only philosophy is "F*** you, got mine."). And judging by the few people I know in that group, including even my ex, that seems to be completely true.

My biggest pet peeve is ignorance; especially willful ignorance. Racists, religious extremists, jingoists, and ludites who believe they are right, and everyone else is an idiot, who are afraid of anything they don't understand, and actively try to avoid understanding or learning new ideas. SA is in that group, and that's why I hate them.

bullshit

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

goddamm awful.app needs mod buttons so bad

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I meant everyone except the op

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.