Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
theres also that the average american can travel 1000 miles and still be in the us, or in canada which is the us with broken measurements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

also the part where americans dont get any vacation time (i think this is the part that trips europeans up the most)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

"You Americans are so politically correct. You do not understand our European ways"

*throws banana at black football players*

bananas are better than bullets

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
As someone currently on permavacation I agree Americans are overworked. And then I see Frenchies protest because they have to work 3 hours a day instead of 2 and it's like "hmm"

let's all meet in the middle and agree not to be Japan

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alan Smithee posted:

As someone currently on permavacation I agree Americans are overworked. And then I see Frenchies protest because they have to work 3 hours a day instead of 2 and it's like "hmm"

let's all meet in the middle and agree not to be Japan

what we would even get of worth if the french worked more. i mean honestly.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i will say that in my limited time in europe i was shocked by how openly racist they are and i live in the american south

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

bananas are better than bullets

less honest, though.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

ANAmal.net posted:

i spent a couple days in zurich and it was good times but goddamn if i didnt end up spending twenty francs every time i wanted a loving sandwich

i did run into this butt vending machine while i was there, to make this somewhat butt-relevant

operative anamal.net i hope you did the needful given that you were obv visiting the 219 hq in zurich (as in, the gnomes of) for your annual reindoctrination

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

what we would even get of worth if the french worked more. i mean honestly.

Le Cheese

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

LastInLine posted:

i will say that in my limited time in europe i was shocked by how openly racist they are and i live in the american south

in the 90s it was the time to blame the balkans, then the roma came and now they get the blame, even though it's probably still the balkan people at fault.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
boy howdy the buttcoin thread in the "youre operating system is a piece of poo poo" forum truely is the place for a loving racism discussion

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
buttcoin

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
^^^^ there someone said it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

hey friend don't get mad, have fun talking about buttcoins generally

quote:

My Russian friend sent me this joke (i.imgur.com)

submitted 2 hours ago by moon_drone

[–]Langley1 25 points an hour ago

You mean in fascist, communist America.

[–]BS_Filter 7 points an hour ago

exactly, capitalism is achieved through voluntary exchange, not theft.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
:nignog:

a smilie for every occasion

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pocket posted:

there are many business links, it's hard to explain how geneva is fills up with wealthy arabs during the summer, some will even fly over their favourite car, so it's common to see plates from the emirates on mclaren mercedes or custom lambos. the city courts this clientele because they often have their family offices based in geneva and happen to spend a lot of money during their stay, along with the chinese they are big spending tourists. the swiss like money, they don't ever let race or ethics get in the way of that.

Yeah, it's like I said: the country is awesome if you're wealthy, regardless of race. But if you're just a working class shmuck and you don't have the right racial profile then good luck to you. And I'll grant you that Geneva was considerably more pleasant and less racist than Bern or Zurich, but that's probably because of the large expat population. And I'll also admit that I haven't lived anywhere in Europe outside of Switzerland (or extremely close to the Swiss border in some cases), so the racism that I saw there may have just been normal by European standards

Remember when someone proposed that we ban the construction of new mosques, and that passed by overwhelming majority? Yeah that totally wasn't racist or just a generally lovely thing to do.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 15, 2014

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

They offered an extra 15% off for bitcoin black friday and were called a merchant with "notable volume" (lol) by bitpay this year

too many hodlers, not enough spenders: the bitcoin economy

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

don't forget their analysis of that graph:

Adafruit posted:

Was it worth it? Heck yes!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

it's grate that the bitcoin gave adafruit a whole 10.5 units of value in november 2013

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Next stop, the moon

Alternatively bankers are just driving the price down, somehow, so that they can buy more bitcoins at lower prices, for some reason

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

QuarkJets posted:

Next stop, the moon

Alternatively bankers are just driving the price down, somehow, so that they can buy more bitcoins at lower prices, for some reason
weak hands! that means you have virtue on your side to stick by this horrible, horrible decision

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

i'm not sure if this guy is a scammer or just super deluded

bonus reddit thread

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

an electric plug?! :lsd:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Mido posted:

also lol "people will do what profits them the most"

you know what's really profitable?? stealing poo poo and not getting caught
taxing the rich to pay for my social safety net is in my rational self interest :smug:

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

quote:

[–]jercosPretty cool guy 1 point 2 days ago

If "everything can be hacked" then your ePlug can be broken into, which would give a malicious individual access to those environmental sensors, which would then allow them to invade your privacy. Risk profile.

quote:

[–]kenCode[S] 1 point 1 day ago

Now you see why I'm so anal about the security of it. Existing IoT devices have proven themselves to be even more hackable, they don't use any blockchain technology whatsoever, nevermind MindSafe or Ethereum tech. Banks, CDN's and ISP's hate those guys I'm sure.

they dont even use the blockchain!?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

crusader_complex posted:

Banks, CDN's and ISP's hate those guys I'm sure.

internet autist teaches you one simple trick!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

LastInLine posted:

i love it when i tell people which suburb i'm from and they strain not to go "NIGGERNIGGERNIG!" when talking about it.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

in the us the blacks who are in jail are the 1%, makes you think about bicoins really

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

pro-est loving click

quote:

[–]kenCode[S] 0 points 4 days ago
I totally agree. We put two 90 degree motion sensors in there along with the temp and light sensor. Combine that with the rt clock and timer and I just couldn't find a way to make it any more customizable than that. We'll be uploading all of the code to gitchain too so it can be hacked and forked. I want the ePlugs to be as open as possible so if frign google or somebody comes in and tries to close them up and implement control structures again that we could just fork it and never have to use their closed systems again. Believe me I have thought long and hard about what they will try to do to me when this thing gets picked up by the mainstream. I have a family ya know so disrupting has its ugly side too.

[–]kenCode[S] -3 points 4 days ago
Agreed, I think the mining side of the ePlug is probably it's weakest point right now because of the limitations that we have with cpu horsepower. It's a nice addon if the ePlug isn't doing anything else at the moment, but the real coin will come from farming out it's unused resources, I mean like how much hard drive space do you have available right now? I'd say I have like 40% of my hard drive space is totally free, so why not farm out the excess for it and get paid in crypto. I want to get crypto into the mainstream masses too, not just meshnet. If we all start using crypto currencies, what will happen to the euro, dollar, yen and such? Exactly. The people can rule once again. Man, I'm with ya. It's only vaporware if nobody wants something like this. I'm just a guy who works at home, loves his little girls and wants to change the world and with something like this I really think we can do it. Get both crypto and meshnet out there. The banks, google, isp's, i'm sure they all hate my idea too.

[–]kenCode[S] 0 points 4 days ago
thank you so much, its good to feel appreciated. this thing has been fun and a frign nightmare at the same time. google wants to kill me and the investors are afraid because of it. just spread the word, please. if i can get even one mainstream media outlet to air meshnet in a good light then the ePlugs can really take off. peace

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dex posted:

I'm just a guy who works at home, loves his little girls

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

quote:

What is the StartJOIN money going to be used for?

The electronics are currently in the 8cm range and we just can't personally see anything smaller so now it's time for a robot to get them down to a hidden size. Something that the trusty soldering iron just can't do. The manufacturers have already been selected. Also, we found some more efficient led's, radio technology and sensors that are virtually invisible.

80 cm transistors.

quote:

What does 1 ePlug cost?

After the Series B capital is secured, the retail cost should be under 40 Euros each (that's .2BTC, making them accessible to every home on Earth). The 14nm class asic is not cheap!

every household can afford to spend ~$70 on bespoke light switches.

frign 5

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
blockchains are not good, they are actually stupid and bad

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hammerite posted:

blockchains are not good, they are actually stupid and bad

Like seriously sometimes people say "bitcoin is dumb but blockchains are an interesting technology", but they really aren't since the whole "distributed mining will keep them safe" thing has been tried and failed and multiple times a single actor got majority control and the only reason it's not like that now is friendly agreement/posting some blocks under a different pool name.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

LastInLine posted:

First thing someone said to me in a hostel years ago "oh you're from the south, then you hate blacks right?" "uhm. . . no, anywho i'm thirsty i'm gonna pop down to that corner store and get a coke or something" "no, don't goto that one, it's owned by a goddamned paki"

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

CampingCarl posted:

I just went and checked the paper again. Perhaps "running total" was a poor choice of words because the total could be spread over more than one block, but you still only need those blocks where the address is involved. Say there is a transaction that spends all of A to B in a block, then later in a second block there is a transaction from B to C. For the wallet software to find the value of C it doesn't require the first block, only the second. If that first block contains only that one transaction you could delete it entirely.

It does make me curious exactly how many blocks are completely spent and just take up space.

the problem with pruning the blockchain by just discarding blocks is that you now have no way to verify some malicious node hasn't given you faulty blocks. as it currently stands, by keeping every block since the dawn of time, you can verify all interim blocks are "the real blockchain" by comparing them to the previous block. if you start stripping out "useless" blocks lol all of them right you have a blockchain full of holes, unlike a real chain which is, well, okay, it's like a blockrope, and

seriously the implementation of the blockchain is at best a horrible tech demo, just like everything else in bitcoin, and it's fixed by mentioning how it could be fixed on the wiki, just like everything else in bitcoin.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

has anyone said butt plug yet?

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Dr. Honked posted:

i've not been to switzerland but i have been to sweden. i was taken aback somewhat by the racism and homophobia of this otherwise gentle peoples

next time take a light afternoon stroll through Rosengård or some other, er, "culturally enriched" suburb. maybe that will somewhat explain why Swedes are adopting harsher attitudes towards immigration (and, by extension and stupidity, immigrants themselves). Idgi the homophobia though, word on the street here in Finland is that all swedes are gay.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

crusader_complex posted:

they dont even use the blockchain!?

Not whatsoever!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

computer toucher posted:

next time take a light afternoon stroll through Rosengård or some other, er, "culturally enriched" suburb. maybe that will somewhat explain why Swedes are adopting harsher attitudes towards immigration (and, by extension and stupidity, immigrants themselves).
am i crazy or did you just post "racism against immigrants is OK because the local immigrants are really bad"?

• Locked thread