Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Also I was just looking at the Litecoin charts and on Christmas Eve last year the price peaked at $48

Today it's trading just under $3 :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Mido posted:

I'm out -- *fumbles with the mic stand, puts mic back into slot* -- have a good night yall :)

Buttheads are neckbeard slam poets who don't realize they are in a rap battle

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

rap is slam poetry with beats inside

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

[–]TheAmericommies 1 point 21 minutes ago

If they have an American bank account: changetip. Changetip? YES, changetip! You didn't even know you could buy Bitcoins on changetip. Oh but you can, if you have an American bank account. You just enter your online banking password and it instabuys like $5 at a time. The fees are high because they cap your buys and you have to keep withdrawing over and over again, but it's way faster and less invasive than Coinbase or Circle. As for the online banking password thing, reset it afterwards and you'll be fine.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Buttcoin: As for the online banking password thing, reset it afterwards and you'll be fine.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Robawesome posted:

If they have an American bank account: changetip. Changetip? YES, changetip! You didn't even know you could buy Bitcoins on changetip. Oh but you can, if you have an American bank account. You just enter your online banking password and it instabuys like $5 at a time. The fees are high because they cap your buys and you have to keep withdrawing over and over again, but it's way faster and less invasive than Coinbase or Circle. As for the online banking password thing, reset it afterwards and you'll be fine.

:eyepop:

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Alan Smithee posted:

Spergtime at the Apollo

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

guys im having a MAJOR problem. my trezor is sending to a address I HAVE NOT AUTHORIZED (self.Bitcoin)

submitted just now by joeysupra

something very weird has happend. i added some bitcoins to my wallet on my trezor. and i sent out a dollar to test. it sends 1 dollar to the account i created. and it SENT 1 BITCOIN TO A NEW BITCOIN ADDRESS I HAVE NO CONTROL over? my bitcoin balance on trezor still shows the actual amount but on blockchain it shows $320 less. what is going on? I only authorized 1 payment to ONE adress, and its sending to TWO?!?!?!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Also I was just looking at the Litecoin charts and on Christmas Eve last year the price peaked at $48

Who would have guessed people who got out of bitcoin into litecoin to get in on a new ground floor would ditch litecoin for the next new thing to get in on an even newer ground floor.

all the way down.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Robawesome posted:

guys im having a MAJOR problem. my trezor is sending to a address I HAVE NOT AUTHORIZED (self.Bitcoin)

something very weird has happend. i added some bitcoins to my wallet on my trezor. and i sent out a dollar to test. it sends 1 dollar to the account i created. and it SENT 1 BITCOIN TO A NEW BITCOIN ADDRESS I HAVE NO CONTROL over? my bitcoin balance on trezor still shows the actual amount but on blockchain it shows $320 less. what is going on? I only authorized 1 payment to ONE adress, and its sending to TWO?!?!?!

"oh you got hacked? buy a Trezor!"

*Trezor steals your butts like even other btc app/service*

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
if you search "blockchain" on google the current sponsored result is a phishing site
how does this happen constantly

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
"bad luck fist gently caress" -- treznor

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Robawesome posted:

ah yes, change addresses, the most intuitive part of bitcoin!

want to be pseudoanonymous with bitcoin? never send the change from an address back to the original address! instead, send it to a new random address and hide that info from the user, because it would just be confusing to keep changing the address they think they have.

what's that, have a backup, or exported your key, before you sent your money to the change address, and now you need to restore from that key or backup? your bitcoins are gone forever! i guess trezor might be deterministic so they aren't gone forever if you can recover you wallet somehow, but still

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
First they laugh at you, then they laugh at you, then they laugh at you, then they laugh at you.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

Robawesome posted:

no fees low fees high fees

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

if you search "blockchain" on google the current sponsored result is a phishing site
how does this happen constantly

nobody cares to check and the places offering real blockchain services are too cheap to advertise

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

As a Millennial I posted:

I mean even in some hypothetical universe where mining bitcoins is supposedly a good idea, the hypothetical universe which bitcoiners believe they inhabit. if the cloud mining is profitable then why would the cloud mining company even be selling cloud mining instead of just mining all the bitcoins themselves.

this is easy to unironically answer is this universe.

making USD off of the Bitcoin bubble is safer than making BTC off the Bitcoin bubble. because when BTC changes value, your profits are safe.

anything you can sell to bitcoiners for actual real grown-up money is awesome.

who can say how many cloud-mined BTC have been successfully turned into USD? and did they sell at the BTC exchange rate that the mining time was priced at?

say a cloud mining place with 10k GPUs or ASICs pivots and just mines for themselves. they get 1000 coins but after cashing out 50 their bank freezes their account. then the markets crash. then 450 get stolen when a market vaporizes.

accepting cash for GPU time, or any other good or service benefitting from the BTC hysteria, is much better than actually touching the poop.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

RECAP FROM 2006 TO DATE AND THE DIGITAL TRAINING SCHOOL OF ITS KIND WITH BITCOINS IN KENYA (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 8 minutes ago by Bitshara

Happy December, Christmas mood is already in, I hope you all ready for 2015. Bitcoin is my thing, this what I do daily, right now am preparing a course for educating on Bitcoin next year. Am loving what the Bitcoins are doing, don’t you forget to support this education initiative. At least by now my friends and a few people have literally good knowledge on Bitcoin though they are demanding for Bitcoin jobs, am glad at least I can offer some education. Here home, the experience of M-pesa has really be useful and transformative in this country and region, so to I believe Crypto currency is joining the journey to transforming Africa more and in new ways especially touching and uplifting the unbanked and boosting the potential of the people. Having been online as early as of 2006 to date; it has been out of passion for computers and internet. I have earned more money online than in my local currency, unlike many around me who get paid with local currency only and it has not been easy. First Poor Internet and Power Blackouts makes one mad,(Source of power, Internet access and a Laptop) are my most powerful daily tools. Paypal never used to work in Kenya few years ago, No Visa cards, No MasterCard’s at least the savior was western union but very expensive, I remember at some point in 2010, I incurred a total cost of 35% to do a transaction through a friend from United states where I was transferring $500 from my paypal account to her account then to Western Union and after receiving the money I loaded it Into an M-pesa account so that I could send that money to a Hotel where I was doing my graduation party. The complete transfer process took me around 4days. However times and things have changed, nowdays the fastest way to receive money from Paypal to my M-pesa will cost me atleast between 9.5% to 12% depending on the amount and the transfer process takes between 30 Mins to 2 Hours, it’s a bit reliable and fast, but still expensive. There is a local bank that offers a paypal service at a better rate but to receive the money it will take 5days to 8days, it took me 12days to receive money from my paypal account through the bank and Finally to my M-pesa. Bitcoin now is the secret, seems more of a miracle, currently for me to receive my Bitcoin in My Mpesa today is about 3% and very fast indeed. I have over years diversified my online experience ranging from Ebay, Amazon, Paypal, Youtube, Google, Facebook, Skype, Forex trading, Websites, Blogging, Affiliate Programs, Advertising, Social Media Marketing, SEO e.t.c. I have rich experience and knowledge in Computers, Smart Phones, Internet Connectivity and e-commerce. It is with these tools that the Bitcoin opportunity fully presented itself to me second time early this year when doing forex trading and I took it immediately and it lead me deep into crypto currency world. I have seen what M-pesa has done for me, my country and neighbouring countries, cryptocurrency is a whole transformative revolution of the computer generation. After deep reading and researching, few months’ a go I decided to started a Bitcoin education initiative, 3 Months down the line am speaking Bitcoin to an audience of 75 on my FB page and so many more interested in knowing more. Actually I have a joint work station where we meet with my team of marketer’s who are switching to Bitcoin and we discuss and talk everything about Bitcoin, I just realized it can turn to consultancy. On monthly basis no missing the Nairobi Bitcoin Meet-up at Nairobi (i-hub) and off course networking on Bitcoin on social media and also meeting one on one with guys around my home area who what to hear about Bitcoins. Many are the times when I meet new guys, I like asking them if they have heard of Bitcoin, most say no, some claim yes they have heard but don’t know anything about it. This is where I come in with my Bitcoin education Initiative, I love answering those questions and explaining on Blockchain and Bitcoin. The children and the youths can play a vital role as the drivers to the future, they need to be empowered and be equipped with relevant technological tools to transform and make an impact especially in My Continent Africa, and this can so easily been achieved through education. To me I see Blockchain and crypto currencies and particularly Bitcoin as the futuristic players in the digital world full of endless opportunities. My team and I are committed to taking this Bitcoin education initiative to another level higher. It is with support by Bitcoin Community that the dream of a physical Digital Training School of its kind “Crypto Tech Hub” will come to exist in Kenya. The school will offer Training and education to the young people of my country and Expand to other African nations targeting students of age group (14-24 years) from high schools, Colleges, Universities and Entrepreneurs. The goal is to equip them with necessary skills and Training in the following areas. 1. Internet Technology and Technological Revolution 2. Blockchain, Crypto currency and Bitcoin 3. 3D Printing/Addictive manufacturing 4. Globalization and E-commerce 5. Green Entrepreneurship
The Digital Training School Start up support is highly welcomed; every raised Bitcoin will go towards: 1. Course work Development 2. Computers/Laptops and Internet
3. 3D Printer and 3D Scanner 4. Infrastructure Acquisition and Development (The School) 5. Logistics and Operations 6. Innovation and Development
7. Salary/Remuneration At the end of the training period which will take 6 Months, the students will graduate with a certificate indicating having fully satisfied that one has undergone training in Digital Technology and has acquired necessary skills ready to enter into the Technological Revolution of our time in various disciplines. Donate Bitcoin to support this initiative: 1NxNSD5R1JuWmPvQXgohcfyrqHVHvj3nZV

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

C'mon, you can do it....

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

seiken posted:

First they laugh at you, then they laugh at you, then they laugh at you, then they laugh at you.

then you whine

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

crashin lol

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

seiken posted:

First they laugh at you, then they laugh at you, then they realise that you're serious, then they sort of get sad and leave.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
maybe nws https://i.imgur.com/JxKx2I3.jpg
i don't think this is an effective ad

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

i'm the shipping cost that has to be paid in dirty fiat

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

good mornings

quote:

Feeling like a foolish and helpless person. I ruined Christmas for my family this year. Not looking for pity just a place to vent. (self.Buttcoin)
submitted 6 hours ago * by nightwatch4

I'm posting here because my r/bitcoin post was instantly deleted.

Using an obvious throwaway.

Some background.
I began buying bitcoin since about $30, unfortunately my largest buys have been in 2014. During that time frame it became an obsession for me, where the only thing I looked forward too when waking up was checking the price.

Middle of 2013 I began realizing that almost everything I read regarding bitcoin was lies. The CONmunity was the modern day equivalent of a den of thieves and vipers. The numbers were stat-padded, stories made up, no integrity. Questionable characters coming out of nowhere with no track records.

The game-changer for me was when Roger Ver vouched for Mt. Gox in 2013 and then just shrugged off the damage he caused a few months later. However when the price was manipulated to over 1k, I started buying back in. I lied to myself from greed.

I'm completely spent, no more fiat to throw at this thing. This Christmas will be difficult as I was counting on some type of a pop to get my kids presents.

I'm beginning to think, I've been had by a group of computer tech geeks. Then again I can only blame my own greed. Why was I so deluded?

I never asked the question who was selling me the bitcoins. I was handing wealth I worked hard for over to the scam leaders and mining bots. In exchange I got nothing. Useless digits that I hoped someone else would give me more for.

I wouldn't say this ruined my life, but it did ruin the year.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

FCKGW posted:

Is this to do with bitcoiners who put their hashing power into destroying altcoins, or is it just the natural course for cheap imitations every cryptocurrency?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Posts on /r/Bitcoin are claiming/collecting evidence that two or more of the high-voume Chinese exchanges are actually faking most of their trades

Another Christmas Goxxing! It's a miracle

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

text editor posted:

Posts on /r/Bitcoin are claiming/collecting evidence that two or more of the high-voume Chinese exchanges are actually faking most of their trades

I'm the ghost of prices past

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

text editor posted:

and why not? no regulation, bitch!

StudlyCaps
Oct 4, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm the ghost of prices past

i thought that was mlr?

also, santa, please bring me a bitpay bankruptcy for christmas.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Buttcoin purse posted:

Is this to do with bitcoiners who put their hashing power into destroying altcoins, or is it just the natural course for cheap imitations every cryptocurrency?

no, litecoin was the one alternate currency that they tolerated, and it runs off of a proof of stake system with scrypt, so the graphics cards/asics can't be turned against it as easy as other altcoins

text editor posted:

this poo poo has been on the wiki for at least a year

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
ayn rand i know you've had that custom title for ages but god drat it sucks

i hope its ironic or otherwise someone inflicted it upon you

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

StudlyCaps posted:

i thought that was mlr?

also, santa, please bring me a bitpay bankruptcy for christmas.

the father (satoshi), the son (andreas antonopoplops), and the holy ghost (mlr)

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
since my house is being searched right now, small reminder: be careful buying on purse.io

quote:

So i just got called that police, police are searching my place with a warrant, I've ordered an AppleTV in July, which turned out to be fraud. Had 8 transactions there, which resulted in 2 charges, one for fraud and the other for computer fraud, both purse transactions.

I've had quite some hassle for a saving of 28€, my lawyer fees up until now are more than 10 times this.

gonna drive home for christmas now and check back (6hrs).

Be careful when using purse, only use items shipped by amazon!

stay safe

quote:

[–]creationlayer 1 point 43 minutes ago

Purse.io is not a merchant. Are you saying the person who bought and shipped the item used stolen information, and now you are having to defend yourself, because you received the items you're at fault?

what a cruel, unfair world

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

5.txt

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

This is some statist bullshit, I did not commit the fraud directly I just facilitated it.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

this was completely unforeseeable

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola