Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

whatever happened to him, wasn't he writing some kind of piece about coinbase like a week ago

he sent me an email saying that people were telling him he's an embarrassment to Buttcoin and that he should quit so he probably just gave up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
hey if anyone lives out by st. petersburg and happens to see bitcoin bowl merchandise on clearance after the game, let me know, i wanna pick some of that poo poo up

i can pay you with this anonymous online currency that's instantaneous, has no transaction fees, and no chance of chargebacks

e: I'm actually serious about the first part, I really do wanna pick up some clearance bitcoin bowl stuff

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

FCKGW posted:

he sent me an email saying that people were telling him he's an embarrassment to Buttcoin and that he should quit so he probably just gave up

those people were sorta right

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Proteus4994 posted:

hey if anyone lives out by st. petersburg and happens to see bitcoin bowl merchandise on clearance after the game, let me know, i wanna pick some of that poo poo up

i can pay you with this anonymous online currency that's instantaneous, has no transaction fees, and no chance of chargebacks

e: I'm actually serious about the first part, I really do wanna pick up some clearance bitcoin bowl stuff

just get one of those model dogecars imo

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

first they laugh at you

then you quit

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

has anyone thought of having pedestrian crossings with bitcoin?

want to cross the road pleb?
better pay up, also make sure you pay enough to get all the way across before the motorists outbid your offer.

i think this will disrupt the crossing the road sector.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
it will certainly disrupt some bones and internal organs

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

theflyingexecutive posted:

first they laugh at you

then you quit

theflyingorc posted:

those people were sorta right

what do you mean sorta

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

FCKGW posted:

pitch him a final farewell op-ed

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

FCKGW posted:

a promising start for his journalism career

"YOU SUCK, GIVE UP human being!"
"...I guess I suck and should give up. Also I'm gay? OK..."

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i thought criticism meant he finally made it

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

nicsho might not have been good enough for buttcoinfoundation.org, but he's definitely above average for a Gawker writer, so don't give up nic!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

computer toucher posted:

the basic problem with Pascal's wager is that man thinks of himself so mightily that even his own god will succumb to this one simple trick invented by a philosopher, gods hate him!

i always like pratchett's response to that:

quote:

Ventre was the Quirmian philosopher (mentioned in Hogfather) who expounded the Discworld equivalent of Pascal's Wager. He said, "Possibly the gods exist, and possibly they do not. So why not believe in them in any case? If it's all true you'll go to a lovely place when you die, and if it isn't then you've lost nothing, right?" When he died he woke up in a circle of gods holding nasty-looking sticks and one of them said, "We're going to show you what we think of Mr Clever Dick in these parts..."

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Proteus4994 posted:

nicsho might not have been good enough for buttcoinfoundation.org, but he's definitely above average for a Gawker writer, so don't give up nic!

hes not that bad, he just needs a good editor. sadly, there are no editors whatsoever in digital journalism.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Is bitcoin dead yet? people at work keep flashing cash at me and saying "bitcoin" under their breath at me.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
it was stable for a while but dropped a bit today.

agora has picked up all sr 2.0 dealers and customers so i guess it has a use again, until the next bust

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

newreply.php posted:

agora has picked up all sr 2.0 dealers and customers so i guess it has a use again, until the next bust

at some point in it will just be the feds running sting operations on the feds

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

newreply.php posted:

it's cool they made all their admins pinky swear that they weren't fbi agents this time will be different

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Magrov posted:

hes not that bad, he just needs a good editor. sadly, there are no editors whatsoever in digital journalism.
that was me actually.

i volunteered earlier in the thread and fckgw gave me a wordpress account like the same day. i cut a ton of crap out of those articles (i posted a "joke" not too many pages ago about how much longer the rough drafts were, i was actually dead serious) but i always figured that it wasn't really my place to outright tell the guy how to write, i just stuck to basic stuff like grammar and organization and tried to get him to maybe cut down on "funny" cruft while focusing more on making his actual points. after the "guess i've made it" tweets i flat-out told him "hey quit shoving in every single quip that you can think of and quit addressing the reader directly and quit generally writing like buzzfeed" (obviously much less bluntly than that in the actual email) but i guess i was too late. should have gotten that out of the way at the beginning, maybe things would have gone differently.

sorry guys, i was really hoping that i could make nicsho's writing work for buttcoin and i didn't. maybe he'll have learned from this though, i wish him well in whatever he ends up doing.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 10, 2014

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

ayn rand hand job posted:

at some point in it will just be the feds running sting operations on the feds

online drug stores will inevitably get busted again and again, and new ones will keep popping up with the same certainty. if hidden services can net literal millions of dollars ppl will keep making them and the smart ones will shutdown/transfer theirs as soon as they made some good money

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Nicolas Schweitzer posted:

CORRECTION: I’m a loving idiot. According to commenter Curt Shaffer, the date linked to above was for their preliminary injunction, not post-trial briefings. Sorry about that. We’ll have more updates on the case later, promise.

sure, it's a website with butt in the name that publishes presumably humorous articles, this is still bad

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MGN001 posted:

The answer is to kick Monty Hall in the teeth and ride the goat out of the studio.
Ah, the Freemason answer

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

newreply.php posted:

online drug stores will inevitably get busted again and again, and new ones will keep popping up with the same certainty. if hidden services can net literal millions of dollars ppl will keep making them and the smart ones will shutdown/transfer theirs as soon as they made some good money

ie exactly like drug dealing in the real world

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

e: Other domains for sale
COSBYCOINS.COM
:vince:

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

what's the goat for?!?!?!?!
it's toygoat.org

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

ie exactly like drug dealing in the real world

Spacecraft 2k-2.1k is awesome and so is your av

In other news, NPR was talking about bitlocker on Monday. Lol.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

infernal machines posted:

sure, it's a website with butt in the name that publishes presumably humorous articles, this is still bad

and it's right at the bottom too which seems wrong

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Boxturret posted:

and it's right at the bottom too which seems wrong

since it's fairly key to the entire content of the article, yes

tbf i don't think people would be quite so hard on nicsho if he didn't go around calling himself a "journalist", at least on buttcoin

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I don't say this often but maybe nicsho should try reddit instead

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
PEORIA — A Normal man has been sentenced to four years in federal prison for running an unlicensed, multimillion-dollar bitcoin exchange on the Internet.
Chief U.S. District Judge James E. Shadid sentenced John D. Powell 55, to 48 months in federal prison and to serve three years of supervised release following his incarceration.
On July 31, Powell entered an open plea of guilty to two counts of operating an unlicensed money service business. He was sentenced last week.
It was the first such case prosecuted by the U.S. attorney for the Central District of Illinois, said that office.
Bitcoin is a cybercurrency that allows individuals to conduct transactions anonymously. According to court documents, Powell’s exchange business allowed individuals increased anonymity by exchanging cash anonymously for bitcoin.
Investigators found that Powell received more than $3 million from individuals during an 18-month period ending in February 2014, according to the U.S. attorney's office.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

PEORIA — A Normal man has been sentenced to four years

is Normal the name of the town, or was this guy just super loving average?

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
those traffic numbers made me go look for comedy at bitcointalk

it's a complete wasteland now and not in the funny way, seems like all of the crazy has all shifted over to reddit

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

PEORIA — A Normal man has been sentenced to four years in federal prison for running an unlicensed, multimillion-dollar bitcoin exchange on the Internet.

normal is not the word i'd use

and what exchange was that

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

that was me actually.

i volunteered earlier in the thread and fckgw gave me a wordpress account like the same day. i cut a ton of crap out of those articles (i posted a "joke" not too many pages ago about how much longer the rough drafts were, i was actually dead serious) but i always figured that it wasn't really my place to outright tell the guy how to write, i just stuck to basic stuff like grammar and organization and tried to get him to maybe cut down on "funny" cruft while focusing more on making his actual points. after the "guess i've made it" tweets i flat-out told him "hey quit shoving in every single quip that you can think of and quit addressing the reader directly and quit generally writing like buzzfeed" (obviously much less bluntly than that in the actual email) but i guess i was too late. should have gotten that out of the way at the beginning, maybe things would have gone differently.

sorry guys, i was really hoping that i could make nicsho's writing work for buttcoin and i didn't. maybe he'll have learned from this though, i wish him well in whatever he ends up doing.

welp, that's what you get for trying to help someone

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

those buttcoin articles were post editing?

lmbo

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

theflyingexecutive posted:

those buttcoin articles were post editing?

lmbo
the ones from november at any rate, i started right after the article on the winklevoss presentation went up

there were two that i vetoed as well, be thankful that you didn't have to read about stephen merchant's twitter or the thousand-dollar bitcoin debate

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 10, 2014

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

post them

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
no

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

TVarmy posted:

markov karpeles

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i will say that i think the guy has potential as a writer. he's like 20, i think the odds are good that he'll grow out of this stuff especially given how it ended for him at buttcoin.

i mean he's not actually incompetent, he's just completely undisciplined. he doesn't do that lifeless oatmeal writing that people who have no ability with words put out, the problem is that he has no self-control. if he had reined himself in i think that he might actually have had a positive reception here.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 10, 2014

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Well, yeah, if his writing was less lovely we'd like it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

AlbieQuirky posted:

Well, yeah, if his writing was less lovely we'd like it more.
touché

• Locked thread