Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

oh this is beautyful

so i had a look at that conference agenda and the winklevoss presentation was a keynote, no other presentations were given at the time and the expo was closed

which means people would rather go to take a poo poo and stand around awkwardly instead of further listening to the twins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

i want video of the winklevi

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Greyhawk posted:

which means people would rather go to take a poo poo and stand around awkwardly instead of further listening to the twins

you misspelled hiding in the bathroom crying as their world crumbles around them

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So, today's fellate Andreas thread is not that great but there are a few decent quotes.

Wikipedia page for Andreas Antonopoulos nominated for deletion. (en.wikipedia.org)

quote:

[–]andreasma 226 points 4 hours ago

I agree with Wikipedia. I objected to the original idea to write an article about me, as I don't think I am "notable" in any sense of the word. All the article does is give trolls a public place to play out their petty battles and vandalism. I'd rather it was deleted.

[–]shadearg 17 points an hour ago

You are like the Neil deGrasse Tyson of Bitcoin. People want to hear your explanation of how the technology works, how it's evolving, and to address their concerns and misconceptions. You will be a footnote in the early history of Bitcoin at the very least, and future generations will want to know about that guy. It's only a matter of time.

[–]bruce_fenton 68 points 3 hours ago

I'd most respectfully disagree - you are notable because you have a gift for speaking about this technology and a voice that reaches people like no other. You've written an important book and are a great teacher, your Canadian Senate testimony was outstanding. There are people far less notable on Wikipedia -but I completely respect your opinion of course.
etc, etc.

quote:

[–]ztsmart 42 points 3 hours ago

His personal opinion is completely irrelevant here. Whether an article should stand or not is absolutely independent of the opinion of the person that is the subject of the article.

[–]goocy 4 points 3 hours ago

The article's relevance comes from public interest. Andreas is part of the public. Hence, his opinion is at least infinitesimally relevant here.
:goonsay:

quote:

x403 1 point 2 hours ago

Hey look, it's the reason I don't donate to Wikipedia. I love their site, and use it all the time, but the leadership is always on such a power trip, and the way they play politics with article deletion is despicable
Libertarian.txt

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

trucutru posted:

[–]ztsmart 42 points 3 hours ago

His personal opinion is completely irrelevant here. Whether an article should stand or not is absolutely independent of the opinion of the person that is the subject of the article.

i wonder how this person feels about tip4commit

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
A preview of the wink twins oratorial prowess

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/winklevoss-twins-bitcoin-trust-is-alive-and-well-SracRWQuQ~GqLdGsFEU84w.html

I really, really want to listen to their money2020 presentation.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

trucutru posted:

I agree with Wikipedia. I objected to the original idea to write an article about me, as I don't think I am "notable" in any sense of the word. All the article does is give trolls a public place to play out their petty battles and vandalism. I'd rather it was deleted.

andreas sempai is so humble :swoon:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

trucutru posted:

Libertarian.txt

that guy should just start a competing wikipedia

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

surebet posted:

nnngh pet peeve

you got that poo poo beaten out of you during freshman year over here, please don't tell me that at no point during a harvard+oxford education no one threatens to flay you alive if you keep that up
lol if u think trust fund athletes learn anything even at harvard

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

haveblue posted:

that guy should just start a competing wikipedia

they already have metapedia

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

trucutru posted:

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/winklevoss-twins-bitcoin-trust-is-alive-and-well-SracRWQuQ~GqLdGsFEU84w.html

when asked what their biggest homerun investment so far is they said bitcoin

someone repost the price chart

i like to think that zuckerberg is watching this winklevii bitcoin thing and laughing his rear end off, maybe he is even here in this thread :tinfoil:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

jony ive aces posted:

lol if u think trust fund athletes learn anything even at harvard

You can easily get a degree at Harvard by taking only giant lecture classes. Papers and exams only, no need to ever give a presentation or even participate in class discussions.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Greyhawk posted:

i really don't understand why people complained about the presentation being difficult when there were simple and compelling slides like this

wouldn't you want to invest your life savings in the obviously superior money? i know i do

Tell me Ashton Kucher jumped in from stage left at the end and everyone just missed it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Midjack posted:

Tell me Ashton Kucher jumped in from stage left at the end and everyone just missed it.

Ashton Kutcher is thought to be for-serious be a huge supporter of Bitcoin.

Some goon even has a theory that he buys all of Bitpay's coins and that's how they aren't immediately out of business

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2l6s7j/warning_do_not_put_the_word_bitcoin_in_your/
bitcoiner hears that google doesn't like it if you mention bitcoin in a google wallet transaction, tests it, confirms that google does not like it

quote:

xygo 214 очков 23 hours ago
Next time put "hookers and blow".

gwallet-notes [S] 160 очков 22 hours ago
It's funny you mention that. Someone around here put exactly that in a coinbase transaction note and Coinbase closed their account.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
очков

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Heresiarch posted:

очков

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Heresiarch posted:

очков
i've been enjoying watching reddit's "russian translation" gradually become more and more english

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

In bitcoin, .99 == $1

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

you shouldn't be here. let me help you. apollo has been notified about this intrusion. come with me, please.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

surebet posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_Antonopoulos

faaaaaaaaart

Keep According to the Canadian Senate, Andreas Antonopoulos is one of the most notable experts on what looks to be a multibillion dollar economy. From a quick glance I was able to find articles about him and mentions of him from publications outside the Bitcoin community, such as this article from PandoDaily, a general technology website. Andreas Antonopoulos. I searched Bloomberg and found dozens of mentions of and quotes by Antonopoulos.Redpointist (talk) 14:51, 4 November 2014 (UTC)

i find it :allears: when americans think our senate is the same as your senate, in the sense that ours is literally a decorative instance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll08ktN6Y24

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

RZA Encryption posted:

In bitcoin, .99 == $1

No, it's just that bitcoin lost value between the time of the tip and the collection.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

surebet posted:

that whole tinfoil theory also proves that people are ridiculously terrible with large numbers, there's this dissonance between gov't is printing infinimoney, gov't sees bitcoin as valuable but is doing these tiny ninja buys to keep the price low, and why doesn't the gov't just plop it's balls on the table menacingly and print infinimoney to buy out everyone?

the us gov't could swallow the entire bitcoin economy in one gulp aka the price of like a jet fighter if they put up 1000$ buys all around, a couple bil is literally fun money in the correct context
it's even easier than that. they just have to seize all the asic farms. since banksters control everything, China would obviously be on board. or poo poo, all they'd really need to do is secretly take control of a few big pools. nobody would even know, and they'd control 75% of the network with very little effort.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

trucutru posted:

Aren't they adorable? They look like stunned rabbits, caught in the headlights of an approaching block-train.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

bucketmouse posted:

already pictured the one-eyed cat; too late

is there anything like that 'don't loving buy bitcoin' writeup that someone made a few threads ago with the basics of why the protocol is unscalable etc. that's vaguely up to date

I've gotten the 'what's bitcoin' question a few times (thanks cryptolocker) and want to give a real professional answer on why it's hella dumb

speaking of, there was this book bitcoiners were raging about, has anybody read it?
http://www.amazon.com/BitCon-Naked-Truth-About-Bitcoin-ebook/dp/B00NUIUQ3A

i thought i might recommend it to people who ask about bitcoin, if it's reasonably well researched and presented

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

quote:

I view Madoka as a very anti-(right)libertarian, Marxist piece, where Kyubey is Capital and the magical girls are Labor, with the Soul Gem being the exploitative, unfair exchange of labor for wages.
:allears:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

suffix posted:

speaking of, there was this book bitcoiners were raging about, has anybody read it?
http://www.amazon.com/BitCon-Naked-Truth-About-Bitcoin-ebook/dp/B00NUIUQ3A

i thought i might recommend it to people who ask about bitcoin, if it's reasonably well researched and presented

This is not an informed look at Bitcoin. Rather it is an anecdotal collection of opinions about Bitcoin which have been gathered into a narrative. Jeffrey Robinson seems to have done a lot of research, and has interviewed people involved in Bitcoin from Roger Ver to Marc Andreessen to Tim Swanson. Also included are the opinions of some fairly well known people like James Dimon, Paul Krugman, Robert Schiller, and Warren Buffet.

The problem with approaching something like Bitcoin through opinions is unfortunately that the subject is extremely polarizing. Few people are knowledgeable enough about both the technology and the economics involved. As a result, of the people I listed in my intro, the only two who are qualified to give an opinion are Marc Andreesen and Tim Swanson. The others, even the Nobel laureates, are rank amateurs on this subject.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

i mean why do you even need 2 different wii avatars, you're twins, just make one and flip it.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
the manbearpigwhale was actually killed by nobel laureate malala yousafzai who was trying to convert 8,000,000 swedish kroner into bitcoin so she could fund women's education, but with bitcoin

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
w-women?? #coinergate

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

duTrieux. posted:

This is not an informed look at Bitcoin. Rather it is an anecdotal collection of opinions about Bitcoin which have been gathered into a narrative. Jeffrey Robinson seems to have done a lot of research, and has interviewed people involved in Bitcoin from Roger Ver to Marc Andreessen to Tim Swanson. Also included are the opinions of some fairly well known people like James Dimon, Paul Krugman, Robert Schiller, and Warren Buffet.

The problem with approaching something like Bitcoin through opinions is unfortunately that the subject is extremely polarizing. Few people are knowledgeable enough about both the technology and the economics involved. As a result, of the people I listed in my intro, the only two who are qualified to give an opinion are Marc Andreesen and Tim Swanson. The others, even the Nobel laureates, are rank amateurs on this subject.

when krugman wrote a column dismissing bitcoin, a bunch of bitcoiners demanded andreas challenge the economist with a nobel-flavored prize to a debate.

this was his response:

https://twitter.com/aantonop/status/434438152405544962

he's also making some edgy tweets about how he didn't vote because he's a libertarian and wants change.

https://twitter.com/aantonop/status/529771015971143680

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Did people ever figure out what price Tweedledee and Tweedledum bought in at?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

Did people ever figure out what price Tweedledee and Tweedledum bought in at?

i think they bought in quite low, like two years ago

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

it was a little before the second bubble, around the $125-$150 range I believe.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

TVarmy posted:

he's also making some edgy tweets about how he didn't vote because he's a libertarian and wants change.

https://twitter.com/aantonop/status/529771015971143680

ever notice how people who claim that there's no point in voting are almost always white?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

FCKGW posted:

it was a little before the second bubble, around the $125-$150 range I believe.

Let us hope for a new milestone in laughs

duTrieux. posted:

ever notice how people who claim that there's no point in voting are almost always white?

voter turnout amongst Hispanicans tends to be pretty low

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
i went to a substantial amount of effort this morning to fight my way past a severe psychological episode so that i could go vote, because i knew i would feel even worse later if i didn't

gently caress these people

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Alan Smithee posted:

voter turnout amongst Hispanicans tends to be pretty low

imagine how hosed the the goddamn neolibs would be if that ever changed

Heresiarch posted:

i went to a substantial amount of effort this morning to fight my way past a severe psychological episode so that i could go vote, because i knew i would feel even worse later if i didn't

It's the most pungent kind of libertarian intellectual masturbation. Disguising their lazyness and unwillingness to actually fight for the change in the status quo (because for all their bitching they always have cushy lives and fygm, poors and minorities) as their 'moral objection' to a 'corrupt system', and all the worthless delusions of grand conspiracies and the coming revolution etc. etc.

It's really just like a whole bunch of college communists, except usually a little shittier because of the naked contempt for the less fortunate. Same bullshit utopianism and nebulous revolution crap though.

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Heresiarch posted:

look at it this way, at least you didn't have to fight traffic

• Locked thread