Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
i'm the gusto and glee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rai_stones

quote:

The physical location of the stone may not matter—though the ownership of a particular stone changes, the stone itself is rarely moved due to its weight and risk of damage. The names of previous owners are passed down to the new one. In one instance, a large rai being transported by canoe and outrigger was accidentally dropped and sank to the sea floor. Although it was never seen again, everyone agreed that the rai must still be there, so it continued to be transacted as genuine currency.[5]

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
"we can't use testnet because it would make testnet unusable for everyone else! we had to use the live bitcoin network because there hasn't been a way to setup your own private testnet since at least 2011!"

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
the way they phrase the refrigerator bank account part makes it sound like there are refrigerators that are trying but our tyrannical nanny state hitler 1984 overlords are stopping them

t:mad:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Skipped like 160 posts in a couple hours or so what did I miss

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Thesoro posted:

as others have said it's not the dumbest thing until the end

i think it's fair to say the twins have gone native
at first i'm sure they just wanted to exploit the idiots but then the abyss gazed back :rip:

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

triple sulk posted:

Skipped like 160 posts in a couple hours or so what did I miss

you wouldn't believe, best poo poo ever.

Boxturrent loving REVOLUTIONIZED the mad smiley

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

why did they spend 20 slides on gold anyway and then like the last 5 on bitcoins. is it because they heard a show about gold as currency on NPR and had their minds blown by it?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
they spent all of those slides explaining what money is to a conference of money professionals

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PleasureKevin posted:

why did they spend 20 slides on gold anyway and then like the last 5 on bitcoins. is it because they heard a show about gold as currency on NPR and had their minds blown by it?
To build an association between bitcoins and gold

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

trucutru posted:

Ok, It's not the video but the twins posted their presentation. You know, the one that they gave to big-shot money managers?

I haven't even read all of it (quickposting before any of you assholes beats me to the glory) but I'm sure that it is going to be really, really dumb.

https://winklevosscapital.com/money-is-broken-but-its-future-is-not/

I'm all the radioactive elements marked with a biohazard symbol on slide 10.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ursine Asylum posted:

isn't that last statement literally provably false with the buttcoin thing

or are they trying to do some sort of semantic loophole with the word "profitable"

their defense is that they never promised that these things would make money. independent blogs, news sites and magazine formed that conclusion wholly on their own.

except all this stuff posted on their website

quote:

" Having said this, it's also important to point out that current generation products enjoy strong relative hashing power today and that will continue to make them profitable up to and through the point of ASIC market penetration when they can be traded in."

and all over the bitcointalk forums

quote:

Quote from: BFL_Josh on September 11, 2012, 06:40:56 AM

Kano, I don't want to badmouth Tom or his accomplishments but honestly, his offering is not really competitive to our products. Our price and performance are far superior in every category so it's not really an issue. I'm glad he's putting out his offering to give people a choice though, but in the end, it all comes down to money and profit for the majority of miners, not ideology. Do you really think $230 is worth losing over 30% of your hashing power and consuming an enormous amount of power in the process? You might think so, but most people won't. Heck, you'd probably make up that $230 in the first few months in power savings alone.

quote:

Quote from: Inaba on September 14, 2013, 11:09:26 PM
BCP, you are harshing the FUD and misinformation mellow that people like Loredo like to comfort themselves with.

For anyone with half a brain and second grade math skills, though, all BFL products are profitable to 900+ million difficulty at .15c KW/h @ $120/BTC. If the price of BTC is above $120, it's profitable even higher. Yes, at 900 million difficulty, profit margins would be ridiculously thin, but it's still within the profitability threshold that Loredo is trying to convince people is happening at 1/9th of the actual difficulty level (and remember, that's at $120/BTC).

also jeff ownby from BFL bought the bitcoinx.com profitability calculator late october 2012 and added links to BFL and fudged the profitability numbers on his units

http://web.archive.org/web/20121217004154/http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit

Company: JEFFREY SCOTT OWNBY
Address: 130 N. PARK RD. GRANGE LA US
Phone: +17.086014170
Fax: +49 0000 00000
Most popular domain of this owner:
bitcoinx.com - Bitcoin and crypto currencies news, prices, charts, guides & analysis

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I hope the FTC has their legal team read this thread for all the free research

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
why are you quoting that inaba guy? he has nothing to do with bfl:confused:

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
misread the chart, my bad, ignore this post

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

PleasureKevin posted:

imagine money was a gas and stored in a balloon. and you just release enough to pay for what you want. and it has a really distinctive smell so it can't be duplicated.

in this scenario I can freely exchange worthless, unusable money for fart noises on demand with no additional tools

i see no problem here

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

The Management posted:

they spent all of those slides explaining what money is to a conference of money professionals

look, if the attendees knew how money worked, they wouldn't be wasting their time making tools to shuffle around worthless fiat. it's like shoveling elephant crap and thinking you work in a chocolate factory. come to think of it, they probably think those worthless quarters are foil-wrapped chocolate. the fact is if your not that smart and are bound to hurt yourself if you hear a complicated and novel idea too quickly.

back in the olden days when the government knew to leave at&t the gently caress alone, a pair of scientists invented the transistor, and at&t freaked out and called them witches and tried to burn them at the stake because they didn't slowly introduce the phone company to the idea of a very small component that provides switching and amplification efficiently. but because a young scientist gave a talk about the power of the inevitable singularity (he was albert einstein) at&t let the scientists invent a transistor radio instead of murdering them, and expected it to fail. but then the public discovered the power of the transistor radio and transistors went hyperbolic and now a single transistor costs $10,000. if only you bought back when you had the chance.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

holylemon posted:

my favorite part is that they submitted declarations from three customers who were happy with their products, as though that proves anything

at least one of them reads just like a bfl josh sockpuppet: surly, stupid, arrogant

makes u think!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I hope the FTC deposes inaba

Hilbert Spaceship
Mar 15, 2007

If I was dyslexic I'd even hate dog too.

Same Great Paste posted:

is this all a rally based around the 1-year-loss day? or are there other happenings happening?

nah, it probably has a lot more to do with the loss of at least 8 million dollars per month of bitcoins being cashed out through sites like sr2.

basically the worst thing for bitcoin is people using bitcoin

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!
honey why is our car turning left, this isn't our street

ah hell, bob must have made our car a better offer. don't worry we can probably wrangle up some roadcoin. in fact i see a blood drone hovering right over there, lets hail it and let it harvest some of our plasma

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Bitcoin stu likes logarhythms

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Alan Smithee posted:

cosine

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ben Grahams Ghost posted:

i'm going to lose my apartment because my refrigerator won't loan me a few ApplianceCoins to pay the rent this month

gently caress youcoin got mycoin

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The Management posted:

I can't get over the fact that these Harvard blue blood geniuses who are the real brains behind Facebook basically gave a high school PowerPoint presentation to some big kids

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Alan Smithee posted:

"Your bitcoins are trapped."

"I know, I... lost the private key."

Linguica fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 13, 2014

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

I can't get over the fact that these Harvard blue blood geniuses who are the real brains behind Facebook basically gave a high school PowerPoint presentation to some big kids

Surprise surprise, rich people are often not smart

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Nov 13, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Linguica posted:

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

vOv posted:

theyre disqualifying 'radiactive' elements like uranium so i guess they understand nuclear chemistry about as well as they understand anything else
someone tell them that a radioactive currency would be extra deflationary

Can someone point me to the slide where they explain why hard money must be a pure element or was that covered in a different presentation

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Thesoro posted:

as others have said it's not the dumbest thing until the end

why can't this libertardian nightmare paradise work with dollars? why create a bloated and inefficient new decentralized currency for every loving activity one can think of? do i pay my window blinds in suncoins to pull them up in the morning? my toilet in shitcoins to take a dump? where will all this data be stored? will every toilet on the planet have a copy of the shitchain? are there even enough atoms in the universe to do it?

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

discosine?

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Linguica posted:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

quote:

Money cannot be radioactive, otherwise, it would radiate away or eventually kill you (yikes!).

Biohazard symbols already mentioned, but they don't understand what radioactivity entails. They apparently think that uranium flies out the window given enough time ("radiates away")

also I'm the beta money, version 1.0

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Hammerite posted:

Biohazard symbols already mentioned, but they don't understand what radioactivity entails. They apparently think that uranium flies out the window given enough time ("radiates away")

also I'm the beta money, version 1.0

to be utterly pedantic (yospos bitch), if you start with a quantity of radioactive material, after a period of time, you will have less of that material.

in uranium's case, one of its decay products is a gas (radon) which will literally fly out of the window

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

DNova posted:

to be utterly pedantic (yospos bitch), if you start with a quantity of radioactive material, after a period of time, you will have less of that material.

in uranium's case, one of its decay products is a gas (radon) which will literally fly out of the window

you know that's not what they meant though

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

A Pinball Wizard posted:

you know that's not what they meant though

the best part is that by its nature, radioactive money would be deflationary, something bitcoiners think is great but now it's suddenly bad???? e: captain cool already pointed this out

health concerns are somewhat legit though

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

DNova posted:

Way to be technically correct (the best kind of correct)

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
so can Butterfly Labs not just go "these are for mining crypto not BTC specifically, people could have made money on any of these things at any date with any cryptocurrency"

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

RubberJohnny posted:

so can Butterfly Labs not just go "these are for mining crypto not BTC specifically, people could have made money on any of these things at any date with any cryptocurrency"

maybe if their advertising had emphasised cryptocurrencies in general rather than bitcoin in particular. but they didn't, they advertised them as bitcoin miners. Besides, not all altcoins use the same algorithms as bitcoin, so their devices might not be compatible with other cryptocurrencies. For example Litecoin I think uses an algorithm that's more memory intensive, which doesn't mean you can't make an asic for it but does mean that an asic designed for Bitcoin won't be compatible.

• Locked thread