Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
text editor
Jan 8, 2007

disruptive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Plank Walker posted:

yeah that's the best part, the insane assumption that if every single currency failed, everyone would come grovelling to a bunch of dorks in control of like 50% of all the money that will ever exist instead of doing literally anything else

like, even if some stupid cryptocurrency was the answer, why would the global economy settle on the one that's being held onto in mass quantities instead of idk creating a new one?

you know how i can tell u havent read the whitepaper?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
lol @ the Gyft complaints

quote:

[–]Plesk8 2 points 2 hours ago

I find it likely ApplePay and Google Wallet would offer 0% transaction fees for a limited time - exactly like Coinbase offers 0% fees for your firs $1M USD in transactions)

Since they are companies, you're right they could even PAY them extra!

A few determined companies bent on competition.

Capitalism giveth, and Capitalism taketh away.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
im in tears

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

also what the hell is firecoin

it's coinfire, with a .cf domain, probably named so to make it looks like he chose a .cf domain to go w/ the name of his site and not because he wanted to divert attention from the fact that he is a cheapskate who used a free cctld

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

TRAINS TRAINS UNGH UNGH UNGH MY PRECIOUS TRAINS *cums all over a picture of a train*

Trains are an integral part of bitcoin.

Read the whitepaper sometime

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Heres the plan- we dangle a puppy over a cliff and say if the us gov doesnt switch back to the gold standard in 24 hours we will drop the puppy. Then when the fed doesnt change back we drop the puppy and everyone will be mad at them fot msking us drop the puppy

babies first act of terrorism

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Mulatto Butts posted:

my favourite part is if someone steals your private key they can steal your car too

No the car wouldnt even be stolen, it would just be theirs as well until they transfer ownership

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Karpeles loaned himself and his companies tons of money out of mtgox funds

All values are JPY

Mark Karpeles owns

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Verdafolio posted:

can I ask where you found those documents?

via /r/Buttcoin

idk any Japanese but parts of it are in english

https://www.mtgox.com/img/pdf/20141126_document.pdf

$780K to Violin for a toy that a PHP-based exchanged totally needed

text editor fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 26, 2014

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

lol, he can't possibly have read this situation right

"oh sure, let's just buy up this company that is millions in debt and agree to service that debt for no reason"

He didn't, Krakena shell organization/"self-regulatory Bitcoin body for Japan" run by the Kraken/Ripple dude payed 30m JPY for that ~120m JPY in computer hardware I linked earlier, and is "assisting" with handling the disbursement of leftover USD and BTC to creditors which almost certainly means they will liquidate the BTC (to themselves at sub-market prices) and payout the resulting fiat to creditors

Sir Naruto T. Goku there won't see a drat Bitcoin after all is said and done, /r/Bitcoin thinks Kraken is stepping in to save the day all for the sake of "good publicity" but it's pretty clear they are the first scavenger to stake claim to the corpse

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
PYF Bitcoin Black Friday deals

Someone who has done market research:

Someone who hasn't:

Copyright infringement and fashion via Grandma_Bitcoin:

Take a loving guess what this actually is:

Speak for themselves:

Good to see Bitcoin Black Friday really taking off with retailers

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
More Bitcoin Black Friday:

(Fake IDs)

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

what am i missing here

"The Australian Spinal Research Foundation, now referred to as Spinal Research, was born out of a desire - a desire to see chiropractic care play a major role in health care."

Whole lotta Doctors* without degrees...hmmm

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Mido posted:

lol that person slips in a "this is just like not being accepted for being gay" at the end

Some parents take it poorly when they realize theyll never have grandbabies, geez

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
:psyduck: isnt paypal even an fdic member now

Edit: it has fdic pass-through

text editor fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 1, 2014

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

DaTroof posted:

the reception collapsed because everyone was using a different fork

GOD drat

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

nicsho is a tryhard hamfatting caregiver

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Powershift posted:

twitter supports 2 factor authentication, considering that's a bitcoin wallet company, hack or not this should be the end of the company and anybody involved.

if theres any one community with no tolerance for racism, it's internet libertarians

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

suffix posted:

we talked about this effect in the last thread, but i'm a bit surprised that even a tiny text link could be this significant

accepting bitcoin: financially toxic

lmao

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

lol jesus christ weren't we only originally aware of 2 attempted orders for hits?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

They offered an extra 15% off for bitcoin black friday and were called a merchant with "notable volume" (lol) by bitpay this year

too many hodlers, not enough spenders: the bitcoin economy

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Well the /r/bitcoin data point to gloat over is bitcoin's recent short-term stability over the ruble....

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Robawesome posted:

guys im having a MAJOR problem. my trezor is sending to a address I HAVE NOT AUTHORIZED (self.Bitcoin)

submitted just now by joeysupra

something very weird has happend. i added some bitcoins to my wallet on my trezor. and i sent out a dollar to test. it sends 1 dollar to the account i created. and it SENT 1 BITCOIN TO A NEW BITCOIN ADDRESS I HAVE NO CONTROL over? my bitcoin balance on trezor still shows the actual amount but on blockchain it shows $320 less. what is going on? I only authorized 1 payment to ONE adress, and its sending to TWO?!?!?!

"oh you got hacked? buy a Trezor!"

*Trezor steals your butts like even other btc app/service*

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Posts on /r/Bitcoin are claiming/collecting evidence that two or more of the high-voume Chinese exchanges are actually faking most of their trades

Another Christmas Goxxing! It's a miracle

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
since my house is being searched right now, small reminder: be careful buying on purse.io

quote:

So i just got called that police, police are searching my place with a warrant, I've ordered an AppleTV in July, which turned out to be fraud. Had 8 transactions there, which resulted in 2 charges, one for fraud and the other for computer fraud, both purse transactions.

I've had quite some hassle for a saving of 28€, my lawyer fees up until now are more than 10 times this.

gonna drive home for christmas now and check back (6hrs).

Be careful when using purse, only use items shipped by amazon!

stay safe

quote:

[–]creationlayer 1 point 43 minutes ago

Purse.io is not a merchant. Are you saying the person who bought and shipped the item used stolen information, and now you are having to defend yourself, because you received the items you're at fault?

what a cruel, unfair world

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
http://www.redditblog.com/2014/12/announcing-reddit-notes.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/redditnotes

:getin:

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Because if bitcoin and the original blockchain isnt somehow included, all their investing will be for nothing and they will never realize their rightful position as the new wealthy elite

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
http://www.dailydot.com/crime/silk-road-ross-ulbricht-evidence-list/

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Shrem's sentence was a slap on the wrist, I'm sure they'll go easy on him when he inevitably violates his probation post-jail too

text editor fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 21, 2014

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Pumpy Dumper posted:

he probably won't serve the full two years. he'll do a few months with the rest being probation where if he breaks the terms of probation he goes back for a full two years

Supposedly two years is the term he has to do before a 3-year probation, I guess?

also what Sweevo said, he's white (and his family is well-off) which is why the justice system was and will continue to be soft on him

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
same 'artist'

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
lol @ /r/bitcoin's front page

Another thread about how terrible Paypal is posted:

PayPal has reported hundreds of Scottish customers to the US authorities for allegedly violating US embargoes on trade with Cuba after they bought small amounts of Cuban coffee from a Perth-based bean roaster.

The sooner everyone moves away from Paypal to Bitcoin, the better!

Coinbase thread 1 posted:

Coinbase cancelled my BTC purchase after transferring from bank, when price went up $23!

Coinbase thread 2 posted:

I have been a long time coinbase customer, buying 1-3 times per month, I got an e-mail today saying they are banning me from using their services because of a ToS violation. I e-mailed them back to ask what the violations was and they told me that they have evidence that I used some of the BTC I bought for cannabis/cannabis seeds. They gave me a specific BTC transaction and said it was for drugs and wouldn't listen to anything I had to say.

This should be rather alarming, first of all, they are monitoring how you use and spend BTC which kind of defeats the entire purpose of BTC. Secondly, I never ever once even thought about buying drugs, let alone online, so that's pretty messed up.

Coinbase thread 3 posted:

Coinbase bumped me today from their services because I invested in a Dice Game, i.e. gambling / funding the house

:getin:

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
When in the course of cosmic evolution,
new insight and development enable sentience
to interact with the universe in more meaningful ways,
It becomes necessary for that same sentience to reconsider
the ultimate purpose of its existence, and to refocus its
efforts towards fulfilling the same.

Here, at the dawn of recorded history, we exist as a scattered,
violent, and unorganized intelligence. The same biological
processes that have gradually bestowed self awareness have
also instilled a fierce competition for resources within us.
As well, we harbor a ferocious ego that demands to be validated,
and this ego will damage or consume the prosperity of others
in the pursuit of this goal. These traits that once helped
shape our species into a more noble version of itself are
rapidly growing incompatible with our rising sphere of influence.

Let these facts be submitted to a candid universe:

An existence that consists of a constant state, whether it
be an arbitrary value or nil, is not an existence worth salvaging or
preserving.

The universe that we reside in exists somewhere in between these
two extremes, and has been growing into an increasingly complex
value ever since its moment of genesis.

The ability of the universe to regard itself rests solely in this
complexity, otherwise the sentience that created this message,
this technology, and the one that observes it are not possible.

Therefore, in lieu of any other assigned purpose, we must pursue
the advancement of what has brought us to our current precipice
in our climb towards greater understanding.

We must pursue complexity.

This is the alpha, the current goal of sentience in the universe.
All things that we know that are worth preserving arise from it,
and the existence of this message and the one who observes it
are both proof of the same.

With increased complexity of universe,
and the the shifting value it translates to, greater sentience will
give rise to greater methods by which we can understand and
manipulate our reality. This will ultimately allow us to accomplish
our implied duty to prevent our own destruction.

It is clear that when a civilization reaches a certain point
in its development, it must cross a critical threshold. That
threshhold is whether it can overcome the destructive variables
and competitive values that drove it to its current level of
advancement to begin with.

If it does not overcome its own nature, it is doomed to either
consume itself in competition or stagnate until a greater process
annihilates it.

We hold true to the belief that this instance of sentience is
one that shall endure. We will take whatever steps necessary to
ensure the survival and continued growth of our strand of awareness,
with the ultimate goal of joining and contributing to the grand
awareness of the universe itself.

To this end, we hold the following principals true:

The blockchain offers our civilization an unprecented opportunity
to both decentralize power among competing entities and also to
store, in perpetuity, the knowledge and history of our ascention.

Due to the crucial importance of this protocol, it is of a vital
nature that access to the blockchain remain unobstructed and
available to any member of civilization sentient enough to seek
access to it.

We, therefore, the users and participants of the blockchain,
do solemly publish and declare that this shared record and the methods
that grant access to it are, and of right ought to be free and
independant. They are absolved from ownership or control
by any entity or entities. None shall restrict or hinder access to them.
No government, corporation, or persons shall have governance or power
over it, unless granted by the internal consensus of the network itself.
Whatever value or significance the blockchain represents shall be
determined by the users alone, and no entity shall obstruct that
freedom.

And for the support of this declaration, with a firm reliance on the
belief that sentient complexity shall endure and succeed, we mutually
pledge our Faith, Fortunes, and sacred Honor.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

quote:

[–]twotribes 6 points 1 day ago

How is this different from throwaway-o's 'Bitcoin declaration of independence'? Or dusty's? There have been no less than ten of these 'declarations' signed by crazy libertarians, such that I feel I can't even hand out the usual title of "Dork heard 'round the world" or "First Conspiratorial Continental Congress" as I usually do. You're just too late.

quote:

[–]americanpegasus[S] 0 points 1 day ago

This one has a higher and grander scope.

quote:

[–]NotHyplon 3 points 5 hours ago

It is definitely written by someone higher. /u/changetip 1 bit go buy your anti-psychotic meds

quote:

[–]changetip 0 points 5 hours ago

The Bitcoin tip for 1 bit has been collected by americanpegasus.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Bitcoin Bowl weekend begins posted:

Arriving in Mad beach for the Bitcoin bowl festivities....

I arrive to see this

EDIT: first stop had no luck with their iPad, had to pay with cash.

EDIT 2: not a great experience thus far but getting better. There's a small surf shop that accepts Bitcoin and the young surfer guy behind the counter is into Bitcoin and had a nice conversation.

Several businesses have had success with individuals paying in Bitcoin though its been sparse, few and far between.

Edit 3: The bitpay app doesn't reveal an address, just a qr code. When I went to the first shop and the iPad wasn't functioning I asked for their address and I'd send it manually, they had no idea what I was talking about. He said our street address? Then looked at a paper provided by bit pay with step by step instructions "look, there's no address here man". Felt like elderly cancer patients being given 3d projected keyboards in order to type their last will and testament.

quote:

[–]ultimatenerd 2 points 11 hours ago

Are you finding a lot of places accepting bitcoin? I read an article mentioning they were going to to turn Madeira Beach into a bitcoin town. I was going to make the drive just to show my support since I'm only a couple hours away. I find it ironic though that I couldn't purchase tickets to the game with bitcoin directly.

quote:

[–]justanothershibehere[S] 1 point 11 hours ago*

Some of the businesses at Johns pass here at the boardwalk have the Bitcoin accepted here (bit pay) sign posted, similar to the ones posted above, but not a lot of them.

quote:

[–]justanothershibehere[S] 12 points 14 hours ago

First stop was a pizza shop. Their tablet was malfunctioning. Three employees are looking at me like they hate this. One guy said "oh, this nightmare", when I said I'd like to pay with Bitcoin. Not a great start to the weekend.

quote:

[–]CafeCusips 12 points 14 hours ago

Yeah, the sporting goods store in Tampa is doing bitcoin for the event. Huge mess. We're using CoinBase point-of-sale and the drat thing just doesn't work or we're all too dumb to use it.

Boss is basically really close to calling the whole thing off. drat you for sucking so much, Coinbase! You're ruining bitcoin for everyone!

text editor fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

quote:

[–]gary_sadman 13 points 13 hours ago

I bought a burger from Vera's burger shack in Vancouver. The merchant just used blockchain.info wallet and didn't wait for any confirmations. I sat down ate my burger and then he yelled from the back 10 minutes later "1 confirmation!"

• Locked thread