Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

i'm just a shithead lurker/occasional badposter and I've been marathoning this thread and obviously doing a poo poo job of it since this is from about 20 pages back but

FMguru posted:

i was thinking "what could possibly make this week even better on the buttcoin thread than it already is?"

and the answer turned out to be "heresiarch coming back to join us"

welcome back h

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

infernal machines posted:

start by reading this thread from beginning to end, then read the previous six or so incarnations going back to 2010 or so.

can you link these? this thread has been some of the best reading on this forum in years and i need something else to marathon now that im caught up

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

you are a king among men

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Erenthal posted:

free software, free love baby

rms's love is a lot like the hurd

they both take forever to finish and are far inferior to already-existing options

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I believe that's the Hammerlick defense

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

ayn rand hand job posted:

TIL Citibank worked on an e-cash system in the 90's, had 28 patents, had top MIT, Berkeley and Stanford talent involved, including Ron Rivest. The U.S. Treasury transacted $350 million over it. Then project was nixed by Sandy Weill. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 17 hours ago by solled

This was a digitized cash that could be exchanged for physical dollars. It did have some interesting properties--it would expire after a certain period, requiring it to be exchanged for fresh e-cash, to prevent money laundering.

This all shows how hard it is to actually launch a digital currency. It's a miracle bitcoin is where it is today.

[–]Throwahoymatie 38 points 16 hours ago

Yep, but it was centralized and therefore not neutral. Bitcoin is neutral money, like gold. Only it has the advantage of also being digital.

[–]CanaryInTheMine 8 points 15 hours ago

it's slightly different then gold. gold can be taken away by force or seized. -edit. and gold can be fractionalized as it has been done so.

[–]damnshiok 2 points 11 hours ago

So bitcoin can't be taken away by force? http://xkcd.com/538/

come on mention the guns, ive almost got a bingo

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

As a Millennial I posted:

never read anything written by weev for any reason, ever.

wrong this is actually p funny and a welcome splash of cold water in the bitcoin laff desert that is February 2015

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

every time one of these guys says "fiat currency" i remember that arrested development line where tobias brags about his upcoming night of "heterosexual intercourse"

cant find a vid anywhere online though sorry

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

found in the grey thread

im the (likely freudian) misuse of the word "excepts" in the sentence right after the use of "accepts"

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Soricidus posted:

well yes, a lot of the technical details of bitcoin are quite interesting. as a technical experiment in applied cryptography it's pretty nifty. it's just hilariously unsuitable for the real-world usages libertarians think it fits.

somebody post that flyingorc post about the pigeon cannon

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Tipps posted:

70 bucks for a nexus 7 is an ok deal. They're pretty solid tablets.

Also you'd be owning a piece of history, knowing that it came to be from some redditors' life savings.

for the 2013 model sure but from the photos they look like the 2012 models

which turned into piss garbage for idiots about six months into their lifespan due to 1) using an nvidia soc and 2) asus cheaping out on the nand

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

the only surprising thing about adobe employees being involved in dogecoin is that the dogecoin software isn't riddled with security holes

note that i did no research before saying this so if it turns out that it is in fact riddled with security holes then lol

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

prefect posted:

the adobe guy just tweeted the name; the ibm guy did the software

still surprised that tweet didn't contain some kind of 0-day exploit

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

i think it's more of a "hey people are trying to get into this wallet which is now known, move your poo poo"

and thanks to the miracle of blockchain technology people can easily and effortlessly follow the money wherever it goes

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

iirc confirmation is like megabaptism and communion all rolled into one, like a get out of hell free card until you sin again

which given how sin is defined is probably about thirty seconds on average

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

im the german restaurant named after a famous austrian

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

AlbieQuirky posted:

nah, you're actually the austrian restaurant owned by an austrian and named after an austrian that has delicious-looking food

unless you're the idiot Bitcoiner who got it wrong

jesus I guess I should have known to not trust a bitcoiner to get even the most inconsequential details right even by accident

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

lotta hatin in the 'pos lately

i blame the apple watch

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

any promotional card worth having goes on a keyring just fine

ok smart guy and then what pocket does your keyring go into huh???

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

trucutru posted:

I F5vd until I rubbed the top of the 5 and the bottom of the % sign to a faded, dark color. 

didn't read this long-rear end poo poo but what the gently caress kind of keyboard is he using

also im the fivevd

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Midjack posted:

you should, it's worth it

ok

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Midjack posted:

you should, it's worth it

holy poo poo you werent kidding

thank you

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Gum posted:

Genuinely cant tell what is bitcoiner bullshit and what is a justified criticism of the American retail banking system. Sort your poo poo out America.

these arent necessarily mutually exclusive

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a claw hammer is a good guy with a claw hammer

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

anthonypants posted:

haikus are the best form of poetry for bitcoins because they also go from 5 to 7 to 5

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

ayn rand hand job posted:

why does everyone forget the dried blueberries

because they were strawberries

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

Bitcoin is all of us patting each other on the back until we find the other guy's wallet pocket

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

i always say "carl mark force four"

never "the fourth"

that's because i live my life CORRECTLY

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Gilok posted:

are you in a situation where you have had occasion to say CARL MARK FORCE IV out loud in real life?

are you saying you arent

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

didn't they misunderstand something about hungarian law in a way that made them think (very incorrectly) that it was 12 there?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Magrov posted:

So after getting bit by the bitcoin bug (no pun intended)

what the gently caress pun is he even imagining

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Casey Infinafox posted:

You should look up Karl Lentz and Common Law. A "child" is the property of the state, if you call your child a "Child" it is under the states jurisdiction. If you call your child "property", the state is not able to interfere unless there is harm to the young being. Once you learn to hold common law court you can easily get your property (Child) back, it is true law. Check your facts, do your research. If you truly are good folks, you can get your children back with some effort. Unlearn what you think you know about the court system..... Learn Common Law!!!!!

12 likes as of this post

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

wow the comments are a pro read

im not sure whether my favorite so far is the woman saying " what do they mean no clean water, the water in that jug looks pretty clear to me" or the legion of people attacking the testimony of the estranged (sexually abused) son

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

oh wait I found a new favorite

Tiffany Ann posted:

For living off the grid, they sure do like Facebook lol

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

launch octopus is weak to boomer kuwanger

the real pro move is to use enough boomerangs to remove his arms, then finish the job with rolling shield

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

how is alcohol anything other than a product designed to inhibit decision making processes? your language, not mine.

yah right on man!! and if I can own a handgun then why cant I own a nuclear warhead huh??

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

yah right on man!! and if I can own a handgun then why cant I own a nuclear warhead huh??

not exactly the best example since handguns should also be illegal but whatevs it's friday

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Dr. Honked posted:

thursdays don't count

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Fiat currency is a centuries old economic term dog. Bitcoiners didn't invent it

so is "heterosexual intercourse" but it still says something about someone who chooses to use the term

have you not even seen arrested development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

it says that the dudes writing about the bitcoiners don't spend 5 years readign everything bitcoiners do, and as such have no issue using a common financial term

now answer the question about arrested development

• Locked thread