Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Its own concenter'd recompense

Fun Shoe

the affidavit also mentions that a btc exchange immediately handed over all his account info when the feds came knocking with a transaction they were interested in

which is completely inevitable but, y'know, anonymous currency of the future NO BANKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol george iii was mentally ill and his government's fiscal policies almost bankrupted the country

and would have easily bankrupted any country not completely ascendant as a world power

as it was he probably held back British dominance by 20-30 years

although i'm not sure what exactly they would have done with an extra twenty years of dominance that they didn't do anyway. mayyybe hold on to the u.s., although i think a successful colonial revolt was inevitable anyway, and it was probably destined to be us

actually in one of those weird twists it is possible that being richer longer would just have meant that all of the american colonies would have revolted together

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

no, that'd be awful unless you're a republican

the proposal is dumb, but it is less politically slanted than you think. california is really really blue, and most of those states would still be heavily democratic. turning 0/2 senate seats into 4/12 does not work out well for republicans

thought experiment: what if every two ca congressional districts (38/53 democratic, or 71.7%) were their own state, and sent senators at the same proportion? so instead of 53 republicans and 45+2 democrats, the senate would be 68 republicans and 80+2 democrats, and that's after conservatively taking a seat away from the democrats

i really don't even know how you could ever gerrymander california enough to actually make it work out in favor of republicans. even the inland empire isn't that republican. you'd have to make calaveras county its own state or something while leaving the entire bay area together

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

it depends. the census estimates say that normal is 85.1% "white alone" while portland is 85.0% white alone. but if you instead consider the "white alone, not hispanic or latino" number, it's 82.5% vs. 83.6%

that's assuming you're applying standard fishmech rules of portland being the minor city in maine. the city in oregon is 76.1% / 72.2% white alone, which is an amazing 12.5% less white than a random college town in central illinois

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

mine is the linear representation of a logarithmic function in a chart with a logarithmic y-axis

i said in this in the grey thread, but i'm pretty sure it's a log fit on log-adjusted data, i.e. it's a V(t)=atb fit. so in real terms it's still pretty close to a cubic progression. which is at least sub-exponential, so progress?

i love this kind of random, completely unjustified regression model, it gives me fond memories of futilely arguing with humanities professors in college

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

so? both of those ultimately result in broader wealth distributions than tim draper just stashing twenty million dollars in his mattress, much less actually investing it wisely

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

look, it's simple. you have a Happy Burger brand fast food establishment, and sometimes kids come in and want their Happy Burger brand Happy Kiddy Burger, which according to the Happy Burger brand franchise operating instructions is supposed to be 4oz of usda utility grade hamburger lightly grilled and pressed into a poppy seed bun with two slices of mild pickle and a slice of tomato and a piece of iceberg lettuce and the name of the kid written on the top in half an ounce of Happy Burger brand special sauce about which the less said the better

so naturally what you do is, you post an ad saying, cooks wanted, please bring your own grill and meat and bun and pickle and tomato and lettuce, we'll supply the sauce

and you get an applicant, and you send him down to the Hall of Cooks, which is a featureless infinite plane that you keep in the unlit basement of your Happy Burger brand fast food establishment. and you tell him to just keep making burgers and handing them up, and if he hands up a burger that satisfies your standards, you'll pay him a bonus, which is $100,000, plus the price of the burger, which is $.50

now the cook can't see too good down there, and he keeps handing up burgers that are more like pickly meatballs with a swastika painted on the side in tomato sauce, but as long as the meat's cooked the health department won't shut you down, so you keep taking them and dutifully handing down briefcases of cash with a few quarters tossed in. and the cook's pretty happy, even after you summarily declare one day that you're only going to pay $50,000 per burger in the future

so the cook calls in a friend, and she sets up in the Hall of Cooks and starts handing up burgers, and now you're getting acceptable burgers faster than you can sell them. so you raise your standards a bit, and you insist that burgers have to be on a bun, and that cuts production back down to a manageable rate. but the cooks are still pretty happy, even after you cut the burger bonus again to $25,000

this goes on for a while, and now you've got a hundred cooks down there, and you've started demanding that they spell out the kid's name correctly, and that's not easy. so now they're not just making burgers to your increasingly exact specifications, they're racing each other to be the first to get the kid's name right. but you're still paying $5,000 a burger, and apparently the cooks are still happy, because more and more keep showing up

you get curious one day while you're squeezing into your franchise past the giant mountain of rotting discarded hamburgers, and you head down to the Hall of Cooks. the last time you came down here, there were only six cooks, and they were just standing around in a disorganized circle; but now they're organized into these large groups. in one of them, you find your first cook, and he shakes your hand. "remember when we'd just started out and i was lumping up store meat by hand and cooking it on that tiny old george foreman?", he laughs. "that was before figured out cookie cutters and rolling pins." he's standing at a huge professional-grade charbroiler with twenty-four different patties arranged on it; suddenly, in a single efficient flash of movement, he flips them all over. of course, the dull glow of the grill isn't enough in the utter blackness of the Hall, and most of the patties end up on the ground, which you suddenly realize is a lot spongier than it's supposed to be. also, doesn't the ceiling seem lower? you shake it off and head back upstairs to start taking orders, wondering when it'll be the right time to cut the bonus to $1,000

it's been another year. there are tens of thousands of cooks in your basement. you're rejecting burgers for sloppy handwriting. you're rejecting burgers for having too thick a slice of tomato. you're rejecting burgers for excessively clustered poppy seeds. seven months ago, the cooks started building floor-to-ceiling ovens with internal robotics custom-designed for making Happy Kiddy Burgers; now there are whole fields of them, each making ten thousand burgers a second. of course, it's still pitch-dark down there, and the cooks aren't exactly susan calvin, so almost all of those burgers get added straight to the end of the Great Greasy Mountains, but it's amazing how quick they come now. you overhear a few of the cooks talking excitedly about the orders they just placed for massive new ovens from Barbecue Labs. you don't know how any of them can afford this when the burger bonus is only $100

three months ago, you politely asked whether they could start making the adult Happy Burgers, too

for an entire day, all the burgers had your name written on top in poison

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

oh good, i wasted a lot of time on that post, i'm glad it's still relevant

yaaaaay fever

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

sweet, a published author at last

minor typo (from the original), "before figured out" should be "before we figured out", thanks

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

Robawesome posted:

I think i'll have put off having a family until i recover from this.

at last, a bitcoin success story

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

Do all exchanges do this? How can you be trustless if you're trusting people with more bitcoin then they paid for? (haha this question proves I never got what margin call was I'm a dummy)

exchanges aren't trustless, they require extensive proofs of identity. all the major contact points of bitcoin are centralized and non-anonymous

offering margin on bitcoin when the health of your business is intimately tied to the price of bitcoin is a special kind of stupidity, though

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

people buy energy-saving appliances all the time, it is a significant selling point

the problems are that
  • using the same amount of electricity at off-peak hours is completely meaningless unless consumers are getting charged differently; afaik, that's really uncommon over the course of a day (as opposed to, say, seasonal differences),
  • even then you're at best talking about saving a buck on the monthly bill,
  • the empirical evidence is that people will take advantage of cheaper prices to increase consumption but necessarily decrease consumption at higher prices, probably because electricity is still really loving cheap for most people, and
  • most appliance uses are sensitive to time-shifting; e.g. i want my toast now, i don't want my noisy dishwasher to run at 3am, and i want the clothes i washed at 7pm to be dried sometime in the next few hours instead of sitting around wet while people gradually turn off their tvs and go to bed

there is a tipping point at some level of automation where these things become more acceptable, like if i can just tell my household robot to make sure my exosuit is clean for tomorrow's crab-train commute, but that may or may not be a level of automation that assumes away power costs anyway

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

This is a big problem when you sleep in your kitche

— someone whose dishwasher does not have a grinder

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

CapnAndy posted:

Did his defense team know about that journal? Every time they throw up a hail mary it's right there going HAHA NOPE.

defense isn't doing this, these should still be witnesses for the prosecution

prosecution wants the friend to testify because it ties ulbricht to both the creation of SR and the events in the chat logs. a random hacker wouldn't know about ulbricht's conversation with his friend. also provides context for that chat log, which casts a lot of doubt on the argument that ulbricht sold SR. nothing conclusive if there were no other connection between ulbricht and the laptop / chat logs, but...

proving that ulbricht created SR is unnecessary because the defense apparently stipulated it in their opening arguments, but the prosecution wouldn't have been able to plan their case around that

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

surebet posted:

on the other hand there's essentially no legal use case for heroin

it's a very commonly-prescribed drug in the uk. they inject it into women after caesarians. ofc they use very low dosages, but yes, it is the world's most powerful painkiller. it's essentially just a faster-acting and more potent morphine

this is why they don't casually give you morphine anymore

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

flyboi posted:

and no they don't use heroin in hospitals they use fentanyl as it requires smaller doses and is much better as an analgesic

i dunno man, i'm just fishmeching here, but wikipedia says they use diamorphine a lot in the uk

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

anathem has a lot of really interesting ideas and is totally worth reading as hard sci-fi, although it does have a galt speech moment (not randian, i just mean a long and self-indulgent passage talking about something the author thinks is really important. you can skip it)

the baroque cycle is a pretty good adventure story, it is very long but actually reads surprisingly quickly because it is pretty much just a silly adventure with a lot of interesting historical details tossed in about 17th century science / politics. also a duel with miniature cannons

cryptonomicon has two really good ww2 stories wrapped up with a modern bit that mostly just pales in comparison, it also does not actually celebrate the techno libertarianism as much as people here are saying. the modern ending is a little weak

diamond age has a lot of great setting potential but really under-delivers and the ending sucks

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

Now keep in mind Mike can't control
Where the value begins or ends (la-la-la)
Because he used those AMD parts
To make his libertarian friends.

(Bitcoin Roll Call)
Mt. Gox! (I'm dead)
Satoshi (I'm hiding)
Ross Ulbricht! (I'm in jail)
Maaaaaaaaaaaark

If you're wondering how he pays for food
and other economic facts
Just repeat to yourself it's decentralized
I should really just relax

For Mystery Bitcoin Tipping 3000

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

Herman Merman posted:

I. THE BURIAL OF THE THREAD

FEBRUARY is the cruellest month, flogging
jokes out of the dead horse, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull posts with fleeting hope.
Reddit kept us warm, covering
Earth in ignorant chaff, feeding
A little laffs with dried berries.
The Feds surprised us, coming over the Darknet
With a handful of warrants; we stopped at Starbucks,
And went on in the drizzle, into Shibuya,

And drank coffee, and chatted for an hour.
Je ne suis pas un Japonais, originaire d'Bourgogne, vrai français.
And when we were in business, hosted at Ross's,
My first mate's, they found us out,
And he was frightened. He said, Mark,
Mark, I want out. But down he went.
In the Orient, there you feel free.
I shitpost, much of the night, and troll Twitter in the winter.

Where are the posts that dazzle, what fives grow
Out of this tired rubbish? Son of man,

You cannot say, or guess, for you know only
A heap of broken links, where the drollery fails,
And the old scams give us no mirth, the undead no relief,
And the mods no promise of future. Only
There is a shadow under this thread,
(Come in under the shadow of this thread),
And I will show you something different from either
A bitcoiner at morning buying eagerly
Or a bitcoiner at evening hodling stubbornly;

I will show you fear in a handful of bits.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

surebet posted:

i wonder if we could convince bitcoiners to run raid 0 ramdisks for blockchain storage if we don't mention that they'd pass through the same single controller though

private keys are precious data

gotta use raid 6 ramdisks

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

Not if Tim Draper buys them for over the current asking price again.

hasn't he confirmed that he's been buying on the open market in the last few months? if buying this tranche cut down on that for awhile, it could still have an effect

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

i don't remember this if it was posted

soon all bitcoins will be owned by tim draper

http://upstart.bizjournals.com/entr...0.html?page=all

he did say something about needing to buy on the open market, but i can't find confirmation he's actually done so

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

weev's kindof got a point that they basically forced him to move to new jersey for a couple of months just because (i assume) somebody started an investigation there, found out that the servers weren't actually in new jersey, and then went ahead and prosecuted him anyway so that they wouldn't have been wasting their time. he probably should get compensated for that. probably won't, though

and he definitely won't get tens of millions of dollars' worth of bitcoins

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

you can obfuscate your transactions by basically generating a whole bunch of fake transactions that shuffle coins together, preferably with coins from other sources, and happen to eventually drop the right amount in the right addresses. it's usually called tumbling or mixing or shuffling or something like that

in theory it creates plausible deniability: even if someone manages to tie you to the originating address(es), you can claim that your involvement ended there, because you bought something from someone else and it was them who did the rest, honestly officer

i don't think this has ever been seriously tested, though

and ross supposedly didn't do it when transferring from the sr wallet to the wallet on his laptop, so welp

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

OB_Juan posted:

Currency of the future.

also, in the brave future of miners ignoring transactions that lack significant tips (no fees!), tumbled transactions will be vastly more expensive than non-anonymous ones, and services like bitcoin fog will probably have a daily service charge

so yeah,

OB_Juan posted:

Currency of the future.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

duTrieux. posted:

[CommunityDiscussion] Product Request: Long chats with popular female vendors

omg

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

why would any government adopt a currency it doesn't control?

fake edit: yes there are pegged currencies but they can be adjusted

why indeed

let's ask kostas simitis

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

did Bitcoin actually ever sold for 1250 or whatever all time high? I thought that was a fake number from gox and you couldn't actually withdraw anything since they made things up

the fake mt gox number drew the rest of the market up with it, some people were able to sell on other exchanges

they're bitcoin speculators, so most of them probably reinvested and lost on the downside, but i'm sure somebody out there made out like a bandit

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

But wasn't the gox price always way higher than the other exchanges, which is why bitcoiners kept using and pumping money into it even when people had gone like 6 months without being able to remove funds? Some people certainly sold some bitcoins for 1250, on the Mt Gox ledger, but they never received that money.

went and grabbed the old transaction history and ran it through perl. bitstamp peaked on november 29th, 2013 at $1163.00 with a transaction worth $57,527.89. there were half-a-dozen other transactions at that price worth about the same in total, plus a fair number more at slightly lower prices. so yeah, it was all a massive speculative bubble, but that doesn't mean there wasn't real money involved

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

isn't infant baptism mostly a Catholic thing? seems kinda odd that that would make it onto the list

no, it's common in most traditions, there are just prominent exceptions

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

Boxturret posted:

i gave a robot money and told it to buy stuff off the place primarily for buying illegal stuff and it bought all this illegal stuff and now the police are here what is the world coming to

ITS ART

also unless dark net markets use some sort of unified web api this robot very likely only knows how to scrape and automatically submit forms on specific sites whose individual illegality would have been known in advance to the programmer

ART

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

the cmu cs department had one like twenty years ago, maybe earlier

ofc it broke down when somebody left and nobody else gave a poo poo

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

Paycoin stuff

Ahahaha, Mike, welcome to the world of crypto!

this is loving literature

put this in the canon and teach it next to jd salinger

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

ok, so, the judge knew about this and blocked it from trial

presumably the argument is that it was a different investigation into silk road? i can kindof see that; it doesn't really impact the actual evidence presented and it's really prejudicial

but i wouldn't be too surprised if dpr did get another trial out of this

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

i was happier thinking that this was just some neckbeard's obsessive hatred of one particular card

but apparently they have some pre-existing reason to think the price should go up? that they now think is being foiled by excess inventory? so they are literally paying over a thousand dollars to destroy some of that inventory in a particular location in order to validate their previous theory?

mtg fans still earning their place on the bottom rung of the geek hierarchy, i see

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

TVarmy posted:

* the boring explanation: the statement in question assumed that >>= (right-shift assignment operator) would store zero after you put in more right shifts than there are bits in the variable, but that's not actually defined behavior in the specifications. i'd be surprised to see the rationale for introducing a 1 in there after 64 right shifts, but what do i know, im just some rear end in a top hat and not a compiler maker guy.

e: turns out one of the links explained that it's a matter of hardware-level behavior:

to extend this boring explanation, if you did 64 right shifts by 1 on an 64-bit unsigned integer you would be guaranteed to get 0. it's just that on an individual operation the shift is required to be in [0,width) because C is designed to prefer producing optimal code on valid inputs (with the user being responsible for validity) over producing portable results on corner cases. if C did the mathematically correct thing, it would almost always have to wrap dynamic shifts with additional processing

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

I mean, there are dumber things you could do while drunk/high than sell yourself into slavery for more drugs

you could sell yourself into slavery and then kill your new master

actually that is probably not very dumb in libertopia, you have an indisputed claim on a certain amount of their drugs but could probably weasel your way out of any actual responsibility for their murder

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

actually the offense was being impolite to a police officer

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

low-level judges are a lot like most programmers: their actual work duties are really dull and repetitive, so they frequently search out ways to make things more interesting

unlike most programmers, at any given time there are at least three people who have to put up with their poo poo

higher-level judges have such varied work duties that nobody could ever possibly keep up with all the relevant law, so instead they just make new poo poo up all the time that the (more knowledgeable but less authoritative) lower-level judges are then required to follow, to their eternal frustration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

yospos, bitč

• Locked thread
«2 »