Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

OldAlias posted:

What bothers me is the SA culture in general. I've thought about it at length yesterday, and realized that SA are essentially a bunch of jealous ludites. Here are some examples why that is true:

1) Furry fandom is a community of incredibly artistic people, full of painters, writers, musicians, and entertainers, who organize, put together huge international conventions, and raise hundreds of thousands for charity while contributing tens of millions of dollars to local economies of the cities hosting those conventions. The only thing SA contributed is to make fun of them.

2) SecondLife allowed for unprecedented communication, collaboration, and creativity. Players there got a chance to explore design, fashion, and architecture skills they never even knew they had. They used their creative skills to make new games, experiment with fashion in virtual space, and practice things like investment and business/real estate management before building real life businesses using those skills. People there earned from thousands to millions of dollars using nothing other than their brains and creativity. The only thing SA contributed is to make fun of them by making random penises fly around, and when told that they are causing serious damage and costing actual money, their only reply was, "don't take it so seriously."

3) Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent. We are only scratching the surface of what is possible with it. The only reason it has any value (and the thing SA seems to focus most on) is that it is impossible to duplicate, and has a guaranteed limit on quantity, which is extremely unusual in the copy/paste digital world. But besides inflation resistance, it can do awesome things like, for the first time ever, allow software to own valuable property. This was never possible before, w/ closest thing being that a program could control bank accounts or own contracts in someone else's name. Now, for the first time, it's possible for a program or a "virus" to own money, decide on its own how to spend it, and actually take it with it as it travels around the web. The possibilities for AI, concept of property, and ownership/copyright law are mind boggling. This is just one example of many that Bitcoin allows for, and those that realize such possibilities are working hard to make them come true, earning real money in the process (as much as $6,000 a day, or $2.3mil a year). The only thing SA has contributed was to willfully stay ignorant of basic finance and economics and make fun of those involved with bitcoinOther than that, all they are able to do is stare at the system without understanding it, or being able to figure out how to make anything out of it. As they have with SecondLife, or any other fandom or technology.

All this makes me think that SA goons have absolutely no imagination or drive. On the contrary, the group seems to be based around making fun of anyone who shows any sort of imagination, or attempts something out of the ordinary. They are like a pot of crabs, grabbing and dragging anyone who dares try to escape and achieve something back down with them. The group has no accomplishments to its name, other than being a nuisance to everyone else, and providing a circle-jerk of entertainment to its members in the style of bullying people they don't even want to understand. Any discovery of scammers or bad people in other communities is at most a purely accidental result of them being so eager to try to attack anything and anyone. This of course suggests that the SA group consists primarily of losers, who lack any initiative, imagination, or drive, and who's actions only suggest that they are jealous of those who do (which is perfectly exemplified by their whining about how Bitcoin is unfair, benefits early adopters, and their insistence on the belief that everyone involved with it is a selfish idiot who's only philosophy is "F*** you, got mine."). And judging by the few people I know in that group, including even my ex, that seems to be completely true.

My biggest pet peeve is ignorance; especially willful ignorance. Racists, religious extremists, jingoists, and ludites who believe they are right, and everyone else is an idiot, who are afraid of anything they don't understand, and actively try to avoid understanding or learning new ideas. SA is in that group, and that's why I hate them.

secondlife still exists?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

AlsoD posted:

I'm the soldiers reaching to help their fellow who fell in rather than saying "free market, bitch" and ignoring him

i'm the greeks inexplicably using a viking boat

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

and enough stupidity to think asking "are you a cop?" will protect him from undercover agents

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Lowtax, 2001 posted:

eCash and Micro Commerce - Ordinary cash and credit cards are too mundane for the Internet. What people really want is the ability to pay .0000003 cents to view a page and pay for it via virtual eCash which is easily stolen, manipulated, and conveniently "lost" by unscrupulous eBankers.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

indigi posted:

I think the real problem with self driving cars is that either everyone will have to use them or nobody will use them, cause a computer isn't gonna be able to anticipate and improvise around the behavior of a bunch of idiot humans

which will never happen. there are still idiots who won't drive cars with fuel injection because of "that drat computer!"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

well, this was a good bitcoin thread while it lasted

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

thermos is going to spend 5 million dollars on that forum, and then it's going to a) choke as soon as more than 25 people try to use it and b) get cosby'd on release day

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Chris Knight posted:

I did but it was taken over by fiat

:golfclap:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

reminder that if theymos isnt lying hes paying $100k/month to someone to write 'more secure forums' because the original forums were 'hacked' because he gave some randomer on the internet read write access to his forum software

and he still thinks it was an exploit in the user avatar system

in a perfect world one of the people being paid $100k would be bob

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

replace the random cozpops with wozpops

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

turns 16, gets first job, scrubs dishes for 4 hours on friday and saturday afternoons, gets first pay slip

WHATS THIS TAX BULLSHIT THATS SO UNFAIR WHY ARE THEY STEALING MY MONEY BUY BITCOINS SMASH THE SYSTEM gently caress YOU DAD!

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

is Hoobie's Hotdog Hovel still furnished entirely with the free swag Coke gave him?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

libertarians have no coherent worldview beyond WAH WAH MY MONEY!

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

vOv posted:

for some reason legal documents tend to be kinda repetitive: 'cease and desist', 'terms and conditions', 'true and correct', 'breaking and entering', etc.

A legal doublet is a standardized phrase used frequently in English legal language which consists of two or more words which are near synonyms. The origin of the doubling — and sometimes even tripling — often lies in the transition of legal language from Latin to French. Certain words were simply given in their Latin, French and/or English forms, often pairing an English word (or a more archaic Anglo-Saxon word) with a Latin or French synonym, so as to ensure understanding. Such phrases can often be pleonasms.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_doublet

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

websites having content is soooooo 2008. write three sentences max and then put loads of social media links

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

uranus posted:

how many bitcoiners does it take to screw in a lightbulb

none. a true libertarian just holds the bulb up and expects the world to revolve around them

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

uranus posted:

why did the bitcoiner cross the road

because a girl was walking towards him

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

only clip i ever remember is the time-lapse of the loaf of bread decomposing

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

theflyingorc posted:

the biggest thing we lost from the 90s was calling everything "cyber"

the second biggest was magazines about the internet, every single one of which had cover art featuring someone surfing on a keyboard

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

surebet posted:

welp, i had the awesome idea of looking up cock vore, mlp fan art featuring hermaphroditic ponies jamming each other up their dongs, with the obligatory layer of baby fur and scat on top

that's enough internet for today...

no inflation or foot fetishism?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

this is bitcoiners we're talking about. they're probably selling broken/fake stuff and thinking it's the buyers fault because caveat emptor

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

no fees
fast
simple
scalable
anonymous

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

i'll just make sure all my transactions are for $29,999. that way it won't raise any red flags to begin with

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Krinkle posted:

More like Your father has died taking his private keys with him, collect no inheritance. Needs a sister card saying Your father trusted your inheritance to an intermediary to mail you his keys after his death, got goxed in advance, collect no inheritance.

I know yours was about obscene internet tips so that can be a third card.

poo poo now it needs a fourth card Your father shared his private keys with you in advance. Collect inheritance now and kick him into an illegal nursing home that utilizes olds for slave labor.

and a fifth:

Your father died. As his only heir you are now responsible for paying his crippling debts. Forfeit all money and leave the game.

(this was an actual argument bitcoiners made)

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

what's the goat for?!?!?!?!

the god probably wants you to sacrifice it or something

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

hobbesmaster posted:

was it roger ver that was convicted for sending explosives through the us mail and literally does not understand why that is a crime?

these people literally think the law is a genie who can be tricked into defeating himself if you describe things using the right magic words.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

AlbieQuirky posted:

It was supposed to encourage lateral thinking or something. It was a communications consulting thingy.

I already took seven years of Latin, so I didn't see how it would encourage anything but boredom in me. The Second Life business was the real dealbreaker.

Quod culus tibi purior salillo est, nec toto decies cacas in anno; atque id durius est faba et lapillis. Quod tu si manibus teras fricesque, non umquam digitum inquinare posses.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Tiny Bug Child posted:

i think my favorite bitcoiner delusion is bitcoins

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Dren posted:

what is star citizen

zybourne clock 2

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

hobbesmaster posted:

I really just don't "get" doobie or whatever the hotdog stand guy is named. someone wrote a post that got people in gbs to fund the guy's kickstarter. pretty sure this was peak classic gbs. I don't see anything else involved with it being anywhere near as funny as star citizen

someone made an image with :frog: on it and GBS being GBS thought that was the most amazing thing ever here doobie have my kids xmas money!

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

a guy who lives in Shithole, AL - pop: 314 turns out to be a retarded hick you say! :monocle:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

only 1 now

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

0 now.

they literally sold $45,000 worth of pretend spaceships in the last 25 minutes :psyduck:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

permanently destroying the ships someone spent $15,000 on is going to take griefing to a whole new level

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

of course he's not going to do the full two years. he's white

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

still going for that "people had to be talked into using the internet" thing i see

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

so have they tried throwing bitcoins out of helicopters yet?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

it's like a $15 giftcard for a shop you've never heard of, and when you look them up they have nothing you'd ever want to buy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Arschmünze?

• Locked thread