Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

vOv posted:

they're completely unusable

Not really seeing what's different here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Heresiarch posted:

all you really need to know is that currentc uses qr codes

Well then it can easily be adapted to Bitcoin, right?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Someone said shitcoins!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Has anyone said dick hodling yet?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Greyhawk posted:

i really don't understand why people complained about the presentation being difficult when there were simple and compelling slides like this

wouldn't you want to invest your life savings in the obviously superior money? i know i do

Tell me Ashton Kucher jumped in from stage left at the end and everyone just missed it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Quote from: seriouscoin on November 05, 2014, 09:37:34 PM
SP-T, did the owner contact you regarding this? :

What is the source of fire? All 5MW miners burned down. I believe he said they're all SP30

Looks like an amateurish setup for one just a few things i see :

-horrible cabling work - i would not be surprised if the cables didnt catch fire first and all that stacked rubber just fed the fire.
-machines are stacked on top of each other generating even more heat : for that many machines you should use real racks with the proper spacing btw units
-where the Fk is the fire suppression units or at least sprinklers up top, i see no evidence of the duct work you would need to have for a proper halon or water
suppression system
-looking at the floor all i can say is no no no.
-if you look some of the units are facing the opposite direction from the others which indicates they were not doing any kind of venting of all the heat those units generate via some sort of turbine system.

these units generate a ton of heat bra heck my dryer went and out i don't miss it my SP30 drys all my cloths faster than my dryer lol.

No way anyone would insure that much equipment with a setup like they better start begging for SP30 coupons from SP TECH or call it a total loss.

I would have paid money to see all that BTC flare up though I just hope no one died

three-phase alt spotted

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

This day. This fukkin day.

I wonder what hilarity awaits us tomorrow.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

infernal machines posted:

it was after while it was imaged. i guess if you count the fbi admin, then yes.

basically sr2.0 was hosed before it even launched.

i'm still wondering why the gently caress this guy had supplier lists on his laptop, let alone in plaintext.

So if he was ever caught he could bargain with the feds, so much for that plan!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Angela Merkle Tree posted:

poison the well with 1 satoshi tips everywhere, to everyone, until you/the bot are banned from as many reddits as possible

This is really the only sensible option.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

i found one of the proposals

Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox for January 25, 1998:
The Case For Micropayments
Ultimately, those who pay for something control it. Currently, most websites that don't sell things are funded by advertising. Thus, they will be controlled by advertisers and will become less and less useful to the users. A veritable arms race has already started with more and more annoying advertisements that intrude on the user's attention in an attempt to survive ever-declining click-through rates.

Annoying ads are ultimately self-defeating since people will avoid sites that do not give them a positive user experience. The Web is a user-driven phenomenon, where people go online for a purpose. Quite often, that purpose will be to buy something, so there is a great future for commercial sites that sell or support products and services. Traditional products can be charged to credit cards, but many Internet services will require incremental payments rather than large one-time payments.

I predict that most sites that are not financed through traditional product sales will move to micropayments in less than two years. Users should be willing to pay, say, one cent per Web page in return for getting quality content and an optimal user experience with less intrusive ads. Once users pay for the pages, then they get to be the site's customers, and the site will design to satisfy the users' needs and not the advertisers' needs.

Some analysts say that users don't want to be "nickeled and dimed" while they are online. In fact, the problem is being dimed; not being nickeled. Unfortunately, some sites that currently charge for content do so at a level of a dollar or more per page. Such pricing is obviously unpleasant and will only be acceptable for highly value-added content that users can predict in advance that they will benefit significantly from buying. Regular articles (like this column) cannot be that expensive.

Long-distance telephone calls and electricity are both metered services. Many people do feel a tension while they are on the phone, at least while making an international or other expensive call. At the same time, very few people worry about powering a lightbulb, even though doing so costs a few cents per hour. Electricity charges mainly serve to make people turn off the lights when they go to bed. The difference is clearly in the level of pricing:

less than a cent per minute and people use as much as they need (electricity)
10 cents per minute, and people ration their usage a little (long distance phone calls)
40 cents per minute, and people ration their usage a lot (international calls)

On the Web, users should not worry about a cent per page. If a page is not worth a cent, then you should not download it in the first place. Even as the Web grows in importance in the future, most people will probably access less than 100 non-free pages per day (in June 1998, heavy users visited an average of 46 pages per day). Most users will have $10-$30 in monthly service charges for Web content.

During working hours, it is easy to calculate the value of a user's time. If we assume that various overhead costs are about the same as a person's salary, then somebody making $35,000 per year costs their company a cent per second. In other words, every time you access a Web page, it costs your company ten cents just for having you sit and wait while it downloads (assuming that the page design obeys the 10-second response time limit). Add time to actually read the page, and we are looking at a cost of 25 cents to a dollar every time an employee accesses a Web page (with proportionally larger costs for highly-paid staff). In this context, paying a cent (or a few cents) for the content is nothing if it ensures higher-quality pages.

Simply waiting for a typical banner ad to download costs about 3 cents in lost employee time, so that could be a possible value of ad-free pages. Of course, much Web access occurs during off-duty hours where people's time is harder to value. But if people value their free time at a third of their working time, then even leisure browsers should be willing to pay a cent to avoid an ad.
Subscription Fees Fence You In
Acknowledging that Web advertising is not a sufficient business model, several famous websites have announced that they will start charging subscription fees later in 1998. Unfortunately, subscriptions are not a good idea on the Web.

The main problem with subscription fees is that they provide a single choice: between paying nothing (thus getting nothing) and paying a large fee (thus getting everything). Faced with this decision, most users will chose to pay nothing and will go to other sites. It is rare that you will know in advance that you will use a site enough to justify a large fee and the time to register. Thus, most people will only subscribe to very few sites: the Web will be split up into disconnected "docu-islands" and users will be prevented from roaming over the full docuverse.

Micropayments lower the threshold and do not require a big decision before users get their initial benefits: thus users will be encouraged to view more pages and spend more. Of course, there will almost certainly be discount schemes for frequent users of a site such that nobody would end up paying more than they would under a subscription plan. It would also be reasonable to make repeat viewing of the same page by the same user virtually free since doing so would discourage pirate copying.

Subscriptions work in the physical world because people can sample single issues of publications through newsstand purchases before they have to decide on a subscription. Also, limitations on the physical distribution of printed materials make the magazine or newspaper a reasonable unit of packaging: it would be too difficult to assemble a daily reading list of twenty articles from ten different magazines and ten newspapers. On the Web, it is no problem at all to browse the best pages from many different sites, following recommendations, search engine hits, and cross-references.

Subscriptions break the basic principles of the Web: the linking of information and user-controlled navigation. Charging subscriptions is like building a city wall: you keep people out. Authors who want to link to other sites for background information will rarely chose to link to subscription sites because they will know that the majority of their users will not be able to follow the links. Similarly, search engines will not be able to index subscription sites, so users will not find pages that relate to their interests on such sites.

Even if authors and search engines do link to a subscription site, users will never go there because the cost of signing up for a subscription and the time needed to do so cannot be justified for the sake of a single desired page. Thus, the site never gets visited by the user; it also never gets the chance to prove its value to that user and convert him or her into a loyal, repeat visitor.

In contrast, charging a micro-fee will not prevent links. Presumably, there will be a way for reputable search engines to spider a micro-charging site for free since most sites want to be found. A human author would not be deterred from linking to a fee-based page: if you don't think that a page would be worth a few cents to your readers, then you should not recommend it in the first place.

When deciding on what pages to recommend, an author would certainly consider the pricing: cheaper sites would have an advantage, though somebody who had really great content could get away with charging more. A site need not charge the same for all its pages. An opinion piece or a news story might carry lower fees than a thorough review of an entire product category.

It is likely that there will be mechanisms for pre-paid links. If, for example, a movie site wanted to refer users to a particularly favorable review on a certain newspaper's site, then it could use a special, digitally signed, link that would authorize the newspaper to charge the micro-fee to the movie site and not to the user. Users would thus be encouraged to follow the link and read the favorable review.

In general, it will be necessary to develop a spectrum of user interfaces for micro-payments such that users can follow cheap links with no overhead and without having to register, and yet still be protected from being hit with a large charge without knowing it.

a time capsule from 16 years ago

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Welp, galtse has some competition now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

infernal machines posted:

lol.

so they encrypted shipping addresses but not tracking numbers? because there's no possible way you could derive the source and destination of a package from the tracking number, right?

jfc. how is it possible to be this stupid but still manage to use a fairly complicated piece of technology?

Buttcoin: I feel reasonably smart

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Werthog 95 posted:

why does EVERY loving "biohacker" have this stupid loving facial hair

Dumb moustaches are scrub level biohacking.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

trucutru posted:

Ok, It's not the video but the twins posted their presentation. You know, the one that they gave to big-shot money managers?

I haven't even read all of it (quickposting before any of you assholes beats me to the glory) but I'm sure that it is going to be really, really dumb.

https://winklevosscapital.com/money-is-broken-but-its-future-is-not/

I'm all the radioactive elements marked with a biohazard symbol on slide 10.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

indigi posted:

why in the world would you have to spend 100k a month for x months to get a secure messageboard platform

Well see what Lowtax has gotten for his money here.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

over on the east coast, having a continuous 120 mph would do well enough and that's a good way short of high speed rail, since the cities are so close together. like yeah boston to washington all the way through would be better at like a full 200 mph crusiing speed, but you have to make several major stops at intermediate cities on the way and right now it's looking like the main solution for stuff above nyc being slow is a new route that bypasses most of connecticut and rhode island

everywhere else cities start getting far enough apart that you quickly lose any time savings versus air travel, or may be just close enough to be practical, but there's nowhere near enough demand between them to justify a direct link between the cities on its own, and a longer distance route connecting one of them with other cities would need to bypass the middle city to have a reasonable route at high speeds.

like what's the point of having a bullet train between des moines and kansas city for the 5 people who need to get between them fast and often rather than building commuter rail in both to cover millions of people together, every day?

haha cool

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Werthog 95 posted:

guess his github and linkedin got hacked too

Same password.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TVarmy posted:

pardon my dumbness, but does that have racist connotations, or is he comparing bureaucrats to oranges so it's okay?

It's kind of an archaic term for bureaucrat so it's like saying "potentate" or "raja". Not racist, just an odd word choice.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sweevo posted:

replace the random cozpops with wozpops

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

basmati posted:

some choade is sitting in my bar talking about some Bitcoin Mensa thing he is king piss of poo poo mountain of. on a date. this chick doesn't seem too pleased.

Sounds like a real panty melter.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ruby idiot railed posted:

fapping in firefox

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

2spooky

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

regular ol' masochism and sadism i can understand, but there's no way that you end up beating off to something like "cock vore" or "forced clown transformation" (one hell of an f plus episode) without having been introduced to it by someone else. these weird internet fetishes are such ridiculous, arbitrary concepts - people don't just think that poo poo up on their own, some autist has to combine his random fixation with sex and put it on some avenue where it can be seen and accepted by other weirdos until it gets accelerated into craziness like making GBS threads dicknipples or whatever. there really wasn't an environment for that kind of poo poo until the internet (or at least bbs).

There were a lot of underground zines but niche sexuality was a pretty lonely landscape until the mid 1990s or so.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FCKGW posted:

@ButtCoin: "Up for sale is this beautiful hand crafted Bitcoin Dildo hand carved out of 100% AAA grade Cocobolo wood."

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=871618

Has anybody said "dick in buttcoin" yet?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

gentlement, i'm making GBS threads blood (self.Bitcoin)
soumis 6 minutes ago par f279
After I etched my safe aluminium qr wallet I drank the solution to make sure no one would be able to retrieve my key from the atoms and now

[–]maximumdickage 6 points an hour ago
get well soon 10 satoshis /u/changetip

Oh my god yes

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Robawesome posted:

We are the blessed few, because we use reddit

:laffo: :laffo: :laffo: :laffo: :laffo:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fuctifino posted:

it's a ten-minute throwaway email address. how are you going to reply to him?

you know guys, i think his offer of $1000 wasn't 100% genuine :(

No scammer tag, he's gotta be legit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

https://cdn.panteracapital.com/wp-content/uploads/Pantera-Bitcoin-Letter-December-2014.pdf
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20141202005799/en/ChangeTip-Raises-3.5M-Global-Social-Media-P2P#.VH3vQ8k-dO0
ChangeTip, the popular social media tipping platform, announced today that it has raised a $3.5 million Seed Round. Bitcoin investment firm Pantera Capital is leading the round,

I'm trying to come up with a good Dimebag Darrel joke here but I got nothing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Robawesome posted:

Bigger than Microsoft Powered by Bitcoin (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 3 minutes ago by bitcoin_king

Bitcoin is a revolution of financial freedom no doubt. Like Blaze Power Corporation it has survived the sabotage test but till now it did not have a benefactor, someone to stand behind and guarantee its success until now. Bitcoin Bank http://www.bitcoin-bank.financial is the answer. This is the worlds FIRST and true Bitcoin bank. You get the convenience of a high street and offshore bank with the security of fort Knox and the anonymity of the now defunct Swiss Banks and the best part is that it is all available with Bitcoin. You get a free yes free account and free debit card and it gets better. Like Bitcoin Free energy has had a tough birth thus the 2 have merged together to form an impossible to fail alliance to rival even Microsoft see http://www.blaze-power.eu Blaze Power has invented the worlds FIRST 100% free source of energy in the form of electricity meaning the end of pollution and no more electricity bills. How much is that worth? Exactly! Trillions a year in revenue alone and get this Blaze Power has shut out Wall Street and launched a brand new trading platform with Bitcoin Bank to sell stock options and shares exclusively through Bitcoin Bank and you can only buy Blaze Power shares with Bitcoin ONLY this means the demand for Bitcoin is going to sky rocket see also http://www.blaze.technology and see history in the making. Remember Microsoft and the gardner standing next to his brand new Ferrari after taking Bill Gates advice to buy Microsoft stock options instead of his paycheck. Early bird gets the worm. Now Bitcoin is truly "Green Backed" and will never fail because Free Green energy is the way of the future and can never fail thus Bitcoin will never fail. DO NOT miss out and if you love the planet and Bitcoin then spread the word and empower Bitcoin and yourselves visit http://www.bitcoin-bank.financial today

Seems legit

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FMguru posted:

youre drat right

shut yo mouth

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Proteus4994 posted:

afaik pump and dump isn't illegal, tho, right? didn't 50 cent do the exact same thing with some penny stock and not get into any trouble?

If you just buy low and hope to sell high that's OK. It's when you buy low, start promoting it as "the next big thing" and then cash out near the peak that the SEC wants to talk to you. It can't really be distinguished from legitimate enthusiasm until someone looks at when you cash out and what happens to the price afterwards.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TVarmy posted:

would this be under the sec's jurisdiction, though? i know they went after eric voorhees but that's probably because he straight up sold shares of an online casino and figured compliance was for sheeple who always asked the man for permission instead of disrupting. then he learned that if you break the law you can get in trouble, and disrupted himself to panama.

It's a lot easier to go after registered brokers and exchanges but they can put a spotlight on anyone. Years ago the SEC went after some high school kid who was loving around with penny stocks. They let him off with a warning and a pinky swear not to engage in market manipulation ever again.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

we know this message is coming as a surprise to you but listen very carefully my friend, it's in your interest not to make the fatal mistake of assuming this is a joke and ignoring this message at your peril, this is about your life and the life of your family we're loving talking about, ignore this warning at your own risk, you have been advised and warned. This message is directly addressed to you and to no other. There's no need introducing us, we live by the BULLET. We see you, you don't see us, you don't know us. So be careful. Straight to the point, we will shoot to death, you and your family, if you fail to pay a one-time monetary tribute to the Mob within the next 12 days. We don't loving joke. We gat every detail we need to inflict maximum damage so better not gently caress with us. The selection process for this was random and was not triggered by any event under your control, however, once our selection is made and our target chosen, it's made; there's no going back, and we don't loving joke. That's why we're making this effort to formally inform you before it gets loving late for you. We'll give you enough time to comply with the demand of the Bratva, or get killed. You've been tracked, trailed, monitored and noted. We've kept tabs on you and your family in recent days. Believe this or not: we gat every-loving-detail we need about you and your family, we have photos, we know where to get you, we know where you live. Before contacting our target, our job is thorough. Comply with the demand of the Mafia and you and your family will be safe and remain safe, and we will leave you and go our way peacefully. But fail to comply and you won't loving escape been murdered. We can gun you down anywhere anytime just like that, even today. Even in a crowded place a precision snipe from Men will loving take you down. We can kill you in a thousand ways my friend. Don't loving make us take your lives. Foolhardy of you it'll be to take this as a bluff, you'll be treading on deathly paths. Don't take a gamble with your life, and the life of your loved ones. This is the only email communication you will receive from the Mob. The only other communication you're gonna receive from us is a hail of bullets, if our demand is not met before deadline. So listen very carefully my friend and make the best use of this instruction before it's loving late; you're required to pay a one-time monetary tribute of 7 bitcoins (7 BTC) to the bitcoin wallet address below if you care to live. To make this easier for you, use the service of any one of these 3 trustworthy and verified online bitcoin vendors to purchase these coins: coinbase.com, localbitcoins.com, or trucoin.com. Any one of these verified vendors should be adequate for you to buy these coins. We have given you sufficient information to easily buy the required coins and save your life and your family even if you're a novice when it comes to bitcoin. Do not say you were not adequately instructed, when things begin to happen, on failing to fulfil our demand. We're giving you a whole 12 days to buy 7 of these coins and send them to the dedicated wallet address below if you care about your life and the life of your loved ones:
1BHsLvdTYhq54wvJVHtiCihXC1KWpcgWtq
You gat 12 days to pay this monetary tribute. If after 12 days from today the payment is not received, it'll be taken as an affront and an insult to the Bratva, and the consequence is DEATH, and there'll be no going back. It's left to you my friend to decide whether you wanna live or die. Our mode of strike is planned and ready. Once the deadline is crossed, it's our finger on the loving trigger. Know this: you and your family can never escape us, the Mob will always track you down, and when it does, you all are loving dead. It'll be wise of you my friend to quietly pay this one-time monetary tribute before deadline and have your life and safety than to have you and your family mercilessly gunned-down in cold blood by the Violent, you are warned. This is a private message, we're everywhere; tell anyone about this and you're dead. Don't loving put yourself against the Mafia. We gat our ears on ground. We're closer than you think. Every single move you make is strictly monitored. Any loving screw-up results in death. The clock is ticking, we're counting, you gat 12 days. Take this from me: WE WILL SHOOT TO DEATH, YOU AND YOURS, IF THE PAYMENT IS NOT RECEIVED WITHIN THE NEXT 12 DAYS; this ain't a threat my friend; it's a loving promise. Give the Mob it's little one-time due and remain alive and safe, and everybody goes home happy, it's not too much to ask for, you're advised for the very last time. Our demand is nothing compared to the value of your life and that of your loved ones. Don't lose your life and your family over what you can easily afford. Be wise. Pay-up and you will have nothing to worry about my friend; FAIL TO PAY AND GET FELLED BY A HAIL OF BULLETS. 12 days, OVER.
Mob.

don't sign your posts

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Quantum est ille canis in fenestra?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Buttcoin: As for the online banking password thing, reset it afterwards and you'll be fine.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Management posted:

an idiot with a GTR can go a long way on very little money if he lives in the middle of nowhere like Kansas

Is the GT-R the new mangosteen?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

whoa, what just happened here?

EDIT: Have a good Christmas, Heresiarch.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Chocobo posted:

dank has almost found the perfect sound that will:
-spontaneously create a million-man music festival
-cause him to levitate live before said million people
-single-handedly create lasting peace the whole world over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkv4UVzZc4k

He's going to find the brown note, isn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Soricidus posted:

virus in numeris

it's all just ones and zeroes anyway

• Locked thread