Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
I think this guy followed through

http://www.reddit.com/user/GingerSnack

He dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
in 8 days Bitcoin will be down on a year ago

hell yes

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

http://bitbet.us/bet/635/1btc-10-000-usd/

1 BTC >= $10,000 closes in 2 weeks

quote:

Price to be taken from MtGox or BitStamp as per bitcoincharts

there's still time for BitStamp to go under!

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Is this the closest bitcoiners have come to understanding what a free market is?

quote:

[–]dskloet 45 points 18 hours ago
In what way isn't there a free market? Isn't everybody free to consume or not consume (or produce) whatever media they want?

[–]kiwikku[S] -32 points 17 hours ago
No, not currently. The extant Games media is pushing a political agenda and insulting it's audience for the pushback it's recieving. It scores some objectively bad games higher just for having a "progressive" agenda.
See here: http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/10/14/bayonetta-2s-over-sexualization-complaint-a-perfect-example-of-whats-wrong-with-modern-reviews/

[–]dskloet 28 points 17 hours ago
I never read gamer media. How would anyone else be forced to read gamer media against their will?

[–]kiwikku[S] -29 points 17 hours ago
Nobody is. But you have to understand, there's been a vicious campaign of bullying and hate against Gamers going on for the last 3 months, and the media's caused it all. KiA would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

[–]dskloet 17 points 16 hours ago
Just ignore the media that you don't like?

[–]kiwikku[S] -18 points 15 hours ago
If only it were that easy... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJhD_pPNkU0
We can't ignore them, not when they're actively trying to discredit us.

[–]AlyoshaV 13 points 14 hours ago
How is this not free market? Just start your own site.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
so can Butterfly Labs not just go "these are for mining crypto not BTC specifically, people could have made money on any of these things at any date with any cryptocurrency"

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
The story that you are in contact with a foreign person of wealth who is in a difficult situation and needs financial assistance that will be returned several fold has been separating fools from their money for four centuries, so there's no need to change it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Prisoner

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

The Xbone is still a neverending laugh parade

The XBone thread is the worst thread on the forum and consoles are for babies anyway

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
[–]CoinRookie 3 points 8 hours ago*
I've bought alllll the "cheep coinz" - but they've all lost tremendous value... their equivalent fiat value is down about 55% over 13.5 months (avg. cost of about USD$640)

I stopped buying about 2 weeks before Christmas, and haven't bought again since, and I will only buy again (in bulk) when we plumb the double digits, as I personally have a use for bitcoin, and wouldn't mind buying up a significant amount if they were to hit $30 again. It's an unpopular opinion, but I'm very close to the mining industry, and cost to mine a bitcoin, all things being equal, will drop by 70-80% this year - so - I might get lucky with some sub-$100 coins in 7-8 months time.

For now, I just have to deal with all of the collateral damage of being involved in Bitcoin, from losing friends, to losing professional credibility, to the plethora of health problems arising from lack of sleep and inability to have an appetite.

Bitcoin did truly ruin my life in 2014 - but deep down, I know that it is one of the very few hopes for the survival of the human species, and even though I'm smoking huge amounts of hopium, I wish that it will one day succeed. I consider my involvement in Bitcoin as a charitable pursuit to try and fix the cancerous world financial system and the gross inequality we see in the world. Ironic, I know, as BTC is the most unequal system known to man at this point.

All I see are the benefits, but in reality, it has turned out to be quite the facade / scam run by the early adopters, preying on the emotions and hopes of people who want the world to change positively.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
[–]Blaat1 7 points 21 hours ago
I have sold in december all my litecoins for Bitcoin. But also written of 15,000 USD as a loss. Hopefully i get some back when BTC will recover.....

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
[–]cvdsandeLong-term Holder 2 points an hour ago*
this is real bad guys This does not look good gentlemen. i am convinced the hack is not new and this is the news which has been priced in during the weekend. i made exactly the wrong move before they went down an hour ago and got 100% out of fiat, hoping to withdraw all my btc, but it was too late.

Could this be the hacker's address?: https://blockchain.info/address/1L2JsXHPMYuAa9ugvHGLwkdstCPUDemNCf

[–]slowmoonBullish [score hidden] 25 minutes ago
Look at the transaction fees. 0.1 bitcoin? .02 bitcoin? WTF? Looks like someone trying to grab BTC from tons of addresses and make the transactions irreversible ASAP. It's not necessarily a thief. I guess it could also be Bitstamp rapidly transferring everything they can to a cold wallet address as part of their security breach protocol. But it could also be a thief.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
[–]slowmoonBullish [score hidden] 46 minutes ago*
18,864 BTC. Sheeit. That's over 5 million dollars. What kinda cash you think bitstamp has on hand? If everybody wants to withdraw their money, does Bitstamp have 5 million liquid sitting around to cover it + their operating expenses? It would be good policy for them to always keep enough cash on hand just in case their hot wallets got emptied.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
[–]rob2360 15 points 2 hours ago
Yeah - as a user of bitstamp I can see the sending addresses are definitely bitstamp's. e.g. 19jQz2ajiCN1hmavUkCrxKWnZwCfhQgJ9e was used to send me some coins in a withdrawal and is also one of the addresses used to send the first 3,100 coins. So it is defo bitstamp withdrawals (or maybe - hopefully - a sweep)

[–]sqrt7744 6 points an hour ago
Please be a sweep, the thought of a loving thief getting all that coin makes me want to throw up. No kudos, just a oval office.

[–]baron1703 4 points an hour ago
The transactions started in the early morning yesterday, long before problems were reported by users on reddit (yesterday evening), and long before stamp halted trading (today morning)

[–]viajero_loco[S] 8 points 4 hours ago*
gently caress, it's 14% of their whole stash! no way they are gonna be able to refund this!
https://blockchain.info/address/1JoktQJhCzuCQkt3GnQ8Xddcq4mUgNyXEa
note how this cold walled adress lines up with their suspending perfectly as well!
edit: maybe they can, if they cashed out some of there coins genereted by fees at the right time... we'll have to wait and see how this one playes out!

[–]baron1703 2 points an hour ago*
http://www.walletexplorer.com/wallet/6e20c5b8ebb819c7?from_address=1L2JsXHPMYuAa9ugvHGLwkdstCPUDemNCf
tldr: all incoming transactions are from bitstamp hotwallet addresses.
The transactions started 04.01.15 in the morning, problems reported by users in the evening. Next day morning stamp is down.

[–]btcdrak 1 point 12 minutes ago
Actually there were reports in the morning yesterday but redditor and moderators made sure those were downvoted or deleted into oblivion.

i'm cum

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2015/01/05/2079012/who-needs-caveat-emptor-when-youve-got-bitcoin/

quote:

Now, we don’t want to show too much schadenfreude following the learned responses we got to posts explaining the fundamental flaws of the scheme back in September, when Bitcoin prices were still tottering around the $400s. Buttcoin Reddit is doing a fine job of that already.

(*Btw – how nuts are the markets when the most objective and reasonable analysis of a new asset class pumped by the great and the good in the tech world comes by way of a parody sub-Reddit entitled Buttcoin?)

But what’s really interesting, we think, is the apparent failure of caveat emptor effects in the digital age. After all, it was only in February 2014 that Bitcoin’s primary exchange Mt. Gox filed for bankruptcy protection. You’d think the community would have learned a lesson about investing money in totally unproven, opaque companies operated by individuals with little to no financial management experience?

But no. Within a matter of days the community had — through the magic of “crowd wisdom” — decided that Bitstamp was a worthy replacement for all their wealth, despite the company having scant financial credentials or anything remotely resembling a track record.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Hahaha, Bitfinex relies on Bitstamp, this is like exchange dominoes:

quote:

[–]cardevitoraphicticia Bearish [score hidden] 47 minutes ago*
Bitfinex also has huge deposits with them, so I'm guessing they are SOL as well... :(

EDIT: Raphael from Finex posted six months ago that they were slowly retracting from this practice. Given the way the market has lost liquidity over the last 6 months, I speculate that they were never in a position to end this practice.

[–]Helvetian616 [score hidden] 20 minutes ago
The normally huge (and ineffective) bids on bitfinex are gone. The books look more like bitstamp all of a sudden.

[–]nobodybelievesyou [score hidden] 14 minutes ago
Was just talking about this.

The timing was really strange, but it makes me wonder if there was a reason they were being so cagey about exactly when they were going to decouple the finex orderbook from stamp a few months back. Stamp goes down, half of the bitfinex bid side evaporates.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2s61eo/cexio_taking_into_account_the_bitcoin_price_drop/

Cloud Mining company that represents 11% of the total hashing power is shutting down

there isn't one of these companies that isn't a scam or insolvent, laffo

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
[–]bobthesponge1 4 points 2 hours ago
industrialised miners run highly-leveraged businesses with volatile rewards. This puts them is a very risky position
Can mining re-decentralise?

[–]foolish_austrian 1 point 38 minutes ago
Yes, we just need to come up with household devices that require conversion of electricity to heat year round in every climate. Water heating is a $2T business worldwide, and is the perfect applications.
So I agree this is still speculation today, because we cannot start building water heaters while ASICs are depreciating so quickly, but the moment ASICs stop depreciating, there is a huge market in the residential water heaters.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
i'm the price at 230 now

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Largest Bitcoin Scam since Mt.Gox comes to end (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 5 hours ago by gizzgizzle
Yesterday night, largest Bitcoin Scam operation came to an end. Cryptodouble.com decided to run with tens of thousands of Bitcoin and altcoin "invested". https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=900132.msg10134310#new
Now all these scammed coins are being dumped for fiat, driving down pricing.
You will read about it soon in the so called "bitcoin news".

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
a several month old poll on where the bottom is

http://strawpoll.me/2593959/r

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
[–]BRAlN[S]
The illuminati don't want bitcoin Its part of the new world order plan to make truthers and prepares poor so we are easy to control (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 15 minutes ago by BRAlN

[–]herzmeister 2 points 5 minutes ago
The making don't sense reddit Its part of the new world order plan to make commenters and looks stupid so we are easy to control

[–]BRAlN[S] 1 point 2 minutes ago
sometimes i do think reddit is part of the new world order as new world order articles never make it to the front page.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
[–]Anti-Troll_Revision 12 points 6 hours ago*

quote:

Or it can go the same way as other coins with mining bubbles which is collapse. You have no idea and neither do I. But its happened before with other coins under similar circumstances so you shouldnt ignore the possibility.
code:
[INIT Troll Scanner ................................. [ OK ]]
[Analyzing History for Trolling Comments ............ [ OK ]]
[Return Troll History Score ..................... [ 96/100 ]]
[./reduceSociopath.sh ............................... [ OK ]]
[Analyzing Comment for True Meaning.................. [ OK ]]
[Extracting Subtext ................................. [ OK ]]
[Reconstructing Post ................................ [ OK ]]
[Displaying revised comment by "Rub3X"............... [ OK ]]
Or it can go the same way as other coins with mining bubbles which is collapse. You have no idea and neither do I. But its happened before with other coins under similar circumstances, but that's not what I'm really trying to say.
The truth is, I have an unhealthy obsession.
Being obsessed over anything is unhealthy. But my obsession isn't constructive. I spend the vast majority of my day talking about Bitcoin. It's in no way productive (although sometimes I delude myself into believing I'm shining truth in the faces of delusional Bitcoiners).
I'm destructive. I speak negatively for hours on end about one single subject. I work tirelessly as a contrarian in hopes of gaining any minimal amount of attention. I could have chosen sports, science, or politics. But I chose Bitcoin.
There's a poster of Christopher Nolan's Joker above my bed because ever since seeing that movie, I've believed that his random and chaotic nature is cool. No one can track him. No one can peg him as anything. He's chaos. I desperately want to be that thing.
But I'm not. I'm a shell of it. I'm a clone of an idea. My attempts to uncategorized myself stuff me into an easily labeled box.
So I sit, day in and day out, for what is easily an unhealthy amount of time, criticizing a single subject. I don't expand on my points. I don't give too much information otherwise others are prone to real debate. I want my mark on the world to hurt, and I do it to give myself meaning because I'm unable to make a mark in a meaningful way.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Hey there /r/buttcoin! I'm a bitcoiner, so I'm probably gonna get downvoted to hell, but I just wanted to say I subscribed to /r/buttcoin because I'm a fan of opposing viewpoints, especially when argued well. (self.Buttcoin)
submitted 11 hours ago by futilerebel

Is this sub mostly just for trolling /r/bitcoin, or is it for genuine discussion of bitcoin's flaws / possible solutions? Cause the second one would be awesome.

[–]first_past_the_post 39 points 10 hours ago
Lots of the fun is finding the most vile members and comments of /r/bitcoin. That's why I already have you tagged as "Bit Pedo" for this especially disturbing exchange. Although, in defense of the bitcoin community, even they found your thoughts disgusting.

[–]IntellectualEuphoria 7 points 4 hours ago
rekt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

quote:

I've noticed a lot of comments about Greece lately - people asking why the bank runs or capital controls would have any effect on Bitcoin, especially if it seems like not too many Greeks are even buying bitcoins (not that they really can at the moment).

My mind keeps on bringing me back to this scene from the movie A.I that I watched some 14 years ago. The artificial human boy, David, had just been rescued by an alien race roughly 2000 years after being separated from his mother who he loved and missed dearly. He had been in loyal pain and agony for many years, waiting, missing his mom. The powerful alien race was able to reconstruct his mother for just one day so that he could see and experience her for one last time. This time he treated her well and embraced every moment of the time he had with her.

I was a teenager when I watched this and I remember crying. It was one of the only movies that really moved me. The part about this experience that stands out the most to me today is I didn't cry because I felt bad for David. I mean sure, he was a good kid that loved his mom and I did feel for him. But what made me cry was the thought of me not appreciating my mom and embracing every moment I had with her. I knew that one day I would likely experience the same pain as David of losing my mom and being willing to do whatever I could to get her back.

That day I cried because David's experience reminded me of what may happen to me too one day, and you can bet your rear end it had an impact on how I treat my relationship with my mother to this day.

Let me leave you with this quote from Machiavelli's The Prince:

quote:

And when he is obliged to take the life of any one, to do so when there is a proper justification and manifest reason for it; but above all he must abstain from taking the property of others, for men forget more easily the death of their father than the loss of their patrimony.

I've no idea where he was going with this

• Locked thread