Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

0.8 originally made the maximum block size larger than 1 megabyte, which would be needed for any sort of high transaction rate going over 7 per second.

also that 7 per second transaction rate only works if everyone using bitcoins is sending them from 1 address to 1 address, no sending the remainder off to a change address, no combining multiple address bitcoin balances to make the needed amount. you have to have exact change+miner's fee in a single address and send it off for that to work. you can set up your exact change addresses in transactions outside of peak hours in preparation of busy times i guess but in the standard usage without setting up exact change addresses prior to use, it works out to be more like 3.3 transactions/second right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

PleasureKevin posted:

so if we had just like one person mining, what would happen to the transaction time?

isn't the difficulty so high that it would take literally forever to do a transaction?

the various asic miners for sale available for shipping NOW have efficiency ranges of hash/joule that vary, the most efficient at Chinese light industrial electricity rates of about 7 cents/kilowatt hour would be mining bitcoins at a cost of $107/bitcoin with electrical costs alone. At a typical American home electrical rate, you're paying about double that so $214/bitcoin in electrical costs. If you have to pay for cooling as well then that's going to increase the cost paid to mine the bitcoins as well. On top of that the miners are going to want to recoup the cost of purchasing the asics, and not everyone is working with the most efficient hardware, the least efficient asics shipping right now would have an electricity cost of about $225/bitcoin at Chinese light industrial electricity rates, $450/bitcoin US home rate. there are also past generation ones that no longer ship which are a whole lot less efficient too.

some people are probably running their asics at home at a loss out of a love of bitcoin, some out of a belief that using the miner as a space heater is worthwile. a lot of those people would probably keep using their miners at a loss, but my impression is that the majority of hashing power is now by the large scale warehouse operations.

as for the warehouse operations, maybe they are part of a money laundering scheme and can accept some small loss, but those warehouses are paying between $107 and $225 in asic electrical costs for every bitcoin they mine, with overheads that add additional costs for rent, additional costs for cooling, additional costs for salaries. If the price drops too much, they are going to have to turn off banks of asics. If there were a crash that occurred fast enough to go from all asics making profit on electrical costs plus overhead to no asics making profits on electrical costs plus overhead, then every warehouse operation would shut down at the same time and i don't think the home enthusiasts have enough of the mining power themselves anymore to ever get the frisbee off the roof.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Samsquamsch posted:

The Roger Ver news is loving hilarious. Every single goddamn comment thread on the /r/bitcoin story about it contains "But wasn't he just selling fireworks? Goddamn tyrants" in one form or another.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2rm7yj/roger_ver_denied_entry_to_the_united_states/

They're pretty much all answered with, "No, you idiot, he was storing 50 pounds of TNT in a populated apartment building."

weren't the people who sold him his supplies of explosives also arrested for selling illegally powerful explosives for even agricultural use explosives? not that storing 50+ pounds of explosive reports (upon arrest) would in any way not be a felony, nor the mailing at least 14 pounds of explosive reports through the mail in one package.

edit: looked it up, he had purchased 50 pounds, mailed off 14 pounds, the explosive he was selling was Pest Control Report 2000, which contained 1000mg of explosive in it. the manufacturer was found guilty of violating federal explosives laws.

fermun fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 7, 2015

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Sarah Jeong will be covering the Ross Ulbricht trial with Forbes, so it won't be covered by their libertarian pro-bitcoin journalist Kashmir Hill. Sarah Jeong does more tech news stuff, here are her past articles http://www.forbes.com/sites/sarahjeong/

Susie Cagle is going to be drawing courtroom pictures for the upcoming Ross Ulbricht trial, she's best known lately probably for this image:

Though she's done other stuff, America in the garbage about Ferguson etc. went pretty viral. She publishes most of her work on medium though https://medium.com/@susie_c

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
The first of the Forbes Silk Road articles is up, just a recap of things before the trial starts tomorrow.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sarahjeong/2015/01/12/the-dread-pirate-roberts-on-trial/

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Ripoff posted:

:stare:

more than a quarter of a loving million dollars and he didn't get in
he failed to show he has ties to another country that he would return to at the end of his visa period. he is a citizen of st. kitts who is living in a rented apartment in japan and runs an online business out of the us with all his family being in the us. he also has a felony conviction for sending 50 pounds of explosives (which he advertised as firework reports with 20 times the legal powder load) through the post office. immigration denied him because they didn't think he'd provided enough evidence to show that he would return to his country of residence, they didn't even get to the screening about how he's a felon.

silk road trial courtroom sketches by susie cagle as part of the forbes coverage (there are more and a bunch will be turned into full illustrations, these are just sketches taken during the trial)

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Sweevo posted:

using ross's computer from ross's house?

very misleading!!!!!!

ross only used his laptop that he managed silk road from in a coffee shop down the street from where he lived and at his local library branch.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Krinkle posted:

I googled margin call twice. I think I got it now, but who told him to sell his bitcoin, cementing his losses, and get the gently caress out? I thought bitcoin was "be your own bank"? Who can margin call someone with bitcoin?

the one bitcoin exchange that allowed trading on margin, bitfinex, required you secure your options with USD. he had to send bitfinex USD and if he ever lost more than that, they'd call it and take all his usd, they also took 5% off the bat (as opposed to their normal trade cut of 1-2%). he effectively bet against people doing short options who also had to secure their bet with USD at bitfinex (who bitfinex took 5% from off the bat), and then when he started losing too much he gave them more USD to secure his bet for longer but couldn't send any more this time.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
right now the most efficient bitcoin mining asic at the best light industrial electricity rates mines bitcoins at ~$140/bitcoin, and the most efficient one only launched ~3 weeks back, so anything at all that was from earlier than that is already in the range where it's losing money on electrical costs to run. If these low prices continue for even a day or two, every one of those warehouse operations is going to have to be turned off and their bitcoins liquidated to keep themselves afloat until they can turn back on.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
there was a typo that someone did on their stupid HOLD thing, and typed it as HODL, which got backronymned to "hold on for dear life" and became more used than hold, so the meme changed to all this stupid poo poo.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

typ typ

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Susie Cagle also copied down one of the chat logs, this is the chat log between DPR and the undercover agent made from the library just before his arrest.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

same but yospos

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sarahjeong/2015/01/14/the-dhs-agent-who-infiltrated-silk-road-to-take-down-its-kingpin/

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

kalstrams posted:

this sequence of posts is surreal :stare:

i think maybe you haven't seen it, so i'll go ahead and explain. the guy who ran silk road used the name dread pirate roberts as a reference. in the movie/book the princess bride, there is a pirate who goes by the name Dread Pirate Roberts, he's the greatest criminal in the world and even governments fear him, and no one knows anything about him. that turns out to be because it's a shifting identity where somone takes the mantle of being DPR for a while then when they get rich they pass the identity off to someone they can trust and retire. the silk road DPR was making a reference saying that he's a total unknown great criminal that governments fear.

the defense is saying he was the original DPR but like the movie one, he passed off his identity to someone else, they say mark karpeles, and then they say that mark karpeles invited him to return, he did for one day and was arrested.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

My PIN is 4826 posted:

the grammar in DPR's responses isn't quite perfect, maybe karpeles did write them.

where's Ulbricht from? I want to believe he was born in the US and therefore a native speaker, but his last name makes me think he's dutch or german.

ross ulbricht was born and raised in texas then moved to san francisco and lived in a friend's place, he lived in australia for a few months while allegedly being DPR then moved back to san francisco and rented a room under a fake name for a year

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
that old bingo wheel was for jury selection, they all get an assigned number sort of thing then picked from the bingo wheel.

also there won't be a sarah jeong/susie cagle silk road article tonight they said that there was too much happening today so they are going to do a long one for tomorrow. the trial is on recess until tuesday.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

courtroom sketch of the picture that the defense showed of mark karpeles

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

i think one of these might have been the picture the defense showed

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
silk road busted october 1st 2013

mtgox stopped allowing withdrawals end of january 2014

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
http://uk.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-crash-drug-dealers-2015-1
an article about bitcoin drug dealers being sad about losing their profits.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.bitnik.org/r/2015-01-15-statement/

the random darknet shopper has had all their purchases seized

quote:

On the morning of January 12, the day after the three-month exhibition was closed, the public prosecutor's office of St. Gallen seized and sealed our work. It seems, the purpose of the confiscation is to impede an endangerment of third parties through the drugs exhibited by destroying them. This is what we know at present. We believe that the confiscation is an unjustified intervention into freedom of art. We'd also like to thank Kunst Halle St. Gallen for their ongoing support and the wonderful collaboration. Furthermore, we are convinced, that it is an objective of art to shed light on the fringes of society and to pose fundamental contemporary questions.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
http://www.forbes.com/sites/valleyvoices/2015/01/16/it-took-me-two-clicks-to-trace-ross-ulbricht-to-the-silk-road/

ross ulbricht didn't tumble all of his bitcoins before sending them to his own accounts, so he has his bitcoins provably connected to payouts from silk road addresses to his personal addresses.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
ross ulbricht claims that he owns the wallet that was on his laptop, which he says was made from daytrading bitcoins. he does not claim the silk road bitcoins that were located on the silk road server.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Susie Cagle posted some more pictures of her sketch book, the Mark Karpeles one made it to a full watercolor painting but i don't think any others did.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
cubesats are 1.33kg/cube maximum mass, so a 3u gets to have 4kg maximum mass. they are pretty much always just launched with spare mass while setting up an ISS resupply mission or some other low earth orbit satellite. the iss orbits at 415km with an orbital decay of 2km/month, increasing rate of decay as it drops, and anything burns up in less than a week if it gets below 160km so you get 5 years until it burns up generally, unless it's important like the iss is which is reboosted every visit to keep it up there.

here's 3 1u cubesats launched from an iss resupply mission. the iss solar panels look rad.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

do someone just open a window and chuck 'em out or something?

if so that's awesome

it's basically that there's a spring-loaded box on the space station, the cubesats are loaded into the box, the box is locked into place in an airlock, the airlock cycles, a robotic arm outside grabs the box and points it away from the station, then hits go on various satellites when given command to.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

this is real, from apollo-soyuz international mission. it is said to be a prank that was actually full of borscht. some cosmonauts have said russians did get alcohol rations until the late 1990s when they had to stop for the international space station, but supposedly russians actually drank cognac in space, not vodka.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

infernal machines posted:

holy loving lol.

let me just keep a file of my secret criminal aliases here on my hard drive, along side my diary chronicling my criminal exploits.

maybe they're trying to have him judged not guilty by reason of mental incompetence

i like that he also accidentally spells it aliaces too. not just incompetent, but also bad at spelling.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
silk road trial back, new round of sketches drawn up

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
she said she realized she hadn't gotten any sketches of the prosecutor and she won't be there for the full trial so she's grabbing a bunch of everyone to make art from as needed as the trial goes on.

here are a few from thursday's session that i dont think got posted in here.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

prefect posted:

whoops. she's a good artist

is she related to daryl cagle the politoons guy?

his daughter

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

this was susie cagle's last day that she'll be in the court room sketching so she tried to get a bunch of sketches of everyone present today to use, total of about 40 pages of sketches done over the 4 days in court and sarah jeong will still be covering the story, but all art from now on will be done based on sketches already made so far.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

http://instagram.com/p/yGd1lixiV9/

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
http://twitter.com/susie_c/status/557774586109251585

if people are interested in it, susie cagle is considering selling both prints and original watercolors of the silk road trial art. get in early because laffs on bitcoin-related art can only go up uP UP

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

http://susie-c.tumblr.com/post/78813811969
:eyepop:

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

probably need someone better than me for this to look its best, but quick and dirty color swaps so that greenpos dorian satoshi and amberpos bitcoin symbols

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Beast of Bourbon posted:

holy gently caress

i live like .25 miles from the glen park library, i walk past it like everyday, i had no idea i was so close to this trial!

you're not quite as near the other one but pretty close by it too. silk road 2.0 leader defcon worked out of his apartment on florida between 21st and 22nd. sf is quickly getting enough techie drug lords to have a themed sight seeing tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Linguica posted:

I can't believe Ulbricht went to the trouble of making such a granular directory structure that he actually had home/frosty/documents/journal/2012/q1/january/week1

the guy thought that he was an important enough figure doing something of historical importance so he kept a journal of all his actions, he wanted it as an in-the-moment reference of his thoughts and actions as he set up the anarcho-capitalist agorist paradise.

he thought future children would read "dear diary, i just ordered 6 men killed today" and their hearts would be filled with love and understanding for the pain he must have felt ordering 6 men killed.

• Locked thread