Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

QuarkJets posted:

You choose a door at random. The gameshow host opens one of the other doors, revealing a butt. The door that you chose has either another butt or a butt. If you switch doors, what's the probability that you'll be goxxed?

it's more like

you choose a door at random, behind that door is a gox. you are goxxed. you choose another door. behind that door is a gox. you are goxxed. do you choose another door? yes, you are a savvy investor. how many doors could possibly have a gox anyway?

all of them. all of the doors.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Izumi Konata posted:

there is a real commodity being overlooked in this whole decryption process i believe is being concealed. what is the blockchain, what is being decrypted, and why is every explanation veiled in ignorance or insincerity? i have a hunch the whole concept has darker connotations. it reeks of game theory.

the blockchain is a list of lottery ticket winners and nothing is being decrypted, a million monkeys are banging on a million typewriters until they produce mlp fanfictions.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

reddit posted:

Also I think we need to incorporate the Reality Distortion Field strategy implemented by Steve Jobs and Apple, inadvertently or otherwise, to the masses. I am not a personal fan of this (sorry Apple), but the difference is that Bitcoin is not bound by a private entity like Apple is.
Andreas has become our de facto "evangelist", but how do we optimize this to the level of how Jobs managed to amass a number of followers?

emphasis not mine. comes from some random poster in a thread where someone suggests all merchants offer discounts (like 10%) for bitcoins forever to drive consumer adoption, because they're saving 12% on credit card processing fees. claims to not be an ideas guy, just a guy with ideas who is paying 12% credit card processing fees.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

prefect posted:

it's actually pretty good

i moved to another country and tombstone pizzas are the only thing i miss.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Improbable Lobster posted:

tip completely inappropriate posts everywhere

use it to buy ben lawsky reddit gold

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
the best thing is that bitcoin was pushed as a microtransaction savior early on, monitize the web, etc etc, and now the official stance is that bitcoin is not useful for microtransactions because of transaction no fees and minimum transaction size and dust prevention etc etc. bitcoin can't even live up to its own supposed best use case given 5 years or whatever.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
bitcoin is the most powerful disruptive technology on earth! it's more important than the internet, or the transistor, or fire! also it can be completely destroyed by 3-5 people posting about butts.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
"we can't use testnet because it would make testnet unusable for everyone else! we had to use the live bitcoin network because there hasn't been a way to setup your own private testnet since at least 2011!"

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

RubberJohnny posted:

so can Butterfly Labs not just go "these are for mining crypto not BTC specifically, people could have made money on any of these things at any date with any cryptocurrency"

almost no altcoins use the same algorithm as bitcoin because to do so nowadays is to get your coin stomped into the ground by one of the bitcoin devs (basically he'll point his pool at your coin and gently caress with it until it's useless); many altcoins use scrypt (which litecoin popularized) and you can't mine a scrypt coin with a bfl miner.

i think namecoin uses the same algorithm as bitcoin, and most of the mining that happens with namecoin is called "merged mining" which means it happens in parallel with bicoin, so you get paid in both as you mine.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

PleasureKevin posted:

why does the Bitcoin dev do that? seems counter to open source. like make stuff open source then actively kill it's forks with guerrilla warfare until people are afraid to use it.

also I thought it had to do with keeping things fair and massively inefficient.

his words:

luke-jr posted:

Eligius is a Bitcoin mining pool and I am, as always, committed to doing my best to contribute to and protect the Bitcoin ecosystem. Pyramid schemes built upon forks of the Bitcoin software ultimately discredit and harm Bitcoin's reputation. I hope CoiledCoin will be the last of such scams now that it is clear there are people (not just myself) willing to stand up to them. Namecoin alone demonstrates a legitimate, innovative use of Bitcoin technology, and while I don't personally agree with their ideals/goals, I see it as a good thing for Bitcoin and worth cooperating with.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Werthog 95 posted:

inaba is zerlan

:thejoke:

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

QuarkJets posted:

Do bitcoiners have anything to say about quantum computers likely turning public key cryptography into poo poo sometime this or next decade? I know that they think that their butts are going to last forever, but before long mankind is going to develop a capability that destroys the foundation upon which they've placed their hopes and dreams,and and even the most hardcore holdouts will be hosed then

It's like the end of any pyramid scheme but a million times more extreme, because even your worthless tulip bulbs get taken away

on the wiki, so it is already solved.

they'll just update to a new protocol, which will require the cooperation of everyone on earth and cause a hard fork, and likely freeze or roll back all transactions from the time of breaking to the time of the update. bitcoins!

edit: also yes if you don't reuse addresses, you should be safe, in theory, but in practice lol to both people not reusing addresses (there's like a million vanity address generators, some of which probbably don't even steal your coins!) and to the idea that bitcoin is ever safe.

if quantum computers are loving up financial transactions everywhere, bitcoin is the last place you want your money because you are never going to get your money back after things go to hell.

Crust First fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 23, 2014

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

CampingCarl posted:

UTXOs are just the outputs of a transaction in a block and those do have the value. The value of the outputs can only be a total of the inputs (plus any mined coins) so you don't need to look at earlier blocks. This is why only nodes and miners actually have to download the full blockchain. Satoshi even described a way to prune the blockchain by discarding the blocks where all the outputs have been used in later blocks because you don't need them. As far as I know Bitcoiners have decided not to use that because reasons.

you actually do need the whole blockchain, miner or not, if you want to know the real balance of an address. while transactions are just made of inputs and outputs, there is no "running total" kept for inputs that an address can access. right now there are a bunch of clients where you can trust a third party to give you a total for your address without having the whole blockchain, but that's because that third party has the blockchain instead.

there IS a pruning algorithm described by satoshi, but it's not been implemented and there are no plans to implement it aside from it being "on the wiki".

(also the miners need the full blockchain not because they want to know the full balance of an address, but because they want to access the blocks where an input was confirmed. they don't really need to know if an address has a single input or a thousand inputs, they just care if the input(s) you're spending is/are valid.)

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

CampingCarl posted:

I just went and checked the paper again. Perhaps "running total" was a poor choice of words because the total could be spread over more than one block, but you still only need those blocks where the address is involved. Say there is a transaction that spends all of A to B in a block, then later in a second block there is a transaction from B to C. For the wallet software to find the value of C it doesn't require the first block, only the second. If that first block contains only that one transaction you could delete it entirely.

It does make me curious exactly how many blocks are completely spent and just take up space.

the problem with pruning the blockchain by just discarding blocks is that you now have no way to verify some malicious node hasn't given you faulty blocks. as it currently stands, by keeping every block since the dawn of time, you can verify all interim blocks are "the real blockchain" by comparing them to the previous block. if you start stripping out "useless" blocks lol all of them right you have a blockchain full of holes, unlike a real chain which is, well, okay, it's like a blockrope, and

seriously the implementation of the blockchain is at best a horrible tech demo, just like everything else in bitcoin, and it's fixed by mentioning how it could be fixed on the wiki, just like everything else in bitcoin.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

What is 5?

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

multistability posted:

yospos, i have a question: if Second Life (LMAO!) is so stupid, then pls explain this:

"In an interview with Fast Company, Rosedale stated that 200,000 people use Second Life a little under 1 million hours a day. Of these users, 15 to 20 percent use Second Life for business. Companies like IBM, Cisco and Intel Corporations use the online world for meetings, interviews, guest speaker events and training for other employees. The people at IBM are embracing the virtual world they have created for their employees. Chuck Hamilton, the virtual learning leader at IBM’s Center for Advanced Learning, claims that Second Life is ideal for the company."
http://nvate.com/5381/second-life-meetings/

protip: u cant. lol

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Robawesome posted:

guys im having a MAJOR problem. my trezor is sending to a address I HAVE NOT AUTHORIZED (self.Bitcoin)

submitted just now by joeysupra

something very weird has happend. i added some bitcoins to my wallet on my trezor. and i sent out a dollar to test. it sends 1 dollar to the account i created. and it SENT 1 BITCOIN TO A NEW BITCOIN ADDRESS I HAVE NO CONTROL over? my bitcoin balance on trezor still shows the actual amount but on blockchain it shows $320 less. what is going on? I only authorized 1 payment to ONE adress, and its sending to TWO?!?!?!

ah yes, change addresses, the most intuitive part of bitcoin!

want to be pseudoanonymous with bitcoin? never send the change from an address back to the original address! instead, send it to a new random address and hide that info from the user, because it would just be confusing to keep changing the address they think they have.

what's that, have a backup, or exported your key, before you sent your money to the change address, and now you need to restore from that key or backup? your bitcoins are gone forever! i guess trezor might be deterministic so they aren't gone forever if you can recover you wallet somehow, but still

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

quote:

changetip 9 points 13 hours ago

The Bitcoin tip for 9 bits ($0.00) has been collected by AnalyzerX7.

bitcoin.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

i'm basically nobody, but i want to let you know i think you're one of the coolest people around here, and i wish you happy holidays and all the best in the new year.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

FCKGW posted:

i wish listen to buttcoin wasn't broken

here's a low effort mirror that works, maybe

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

quote:

Adding Bitcoin to a will? (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 3 hours ago by hitforhelp

After reading this thread over at ask reddit. http://redd.it/2rzru6 I was wondering how people intend to deal with their bitcoins in a will.
Obviously we all intend to keep coins secure by not revealing the password. However if you die how will anyone be able to access those coins and access them fairly to distribute them to the relevant parties written in your will.
Is there anyone out there who has thought about this seriously and have any practical solution?

quote:

KingOfRye 3 points an hour ago

If this is for your wife, I might put passphrases to BIP38 keys in the will in a safe deposit box. The passphrases could be disguised as last wishes so a judge won't blackmail her. Tell her ahead of time about them. She will have to understand that not giving her access to it is for her protection.
In the event that she dies with you, I would also create Shamir's Secret Sharing of keys that unlock a file stored in the safe with the instructions of what you and her know. Give those keys as a m of n to people you also name in your will for one dollar and the file stored on a disk or thumb drive stored in the safe. She would otherwise have accessed the safe before the will is read through a locksmith service and will see instructions on the file storage for her to destroy it immediately.
I don't know any other way to do this without trusting probate court, which I don't.

quote:

dskloet 2 points 2 hours ago

I have distributed my cold storage key in multiple shares (using Shamir's Secret Sharing) over family members and friends. I trust that no 3 of them will collude unless I'm dead or unable to do it myself.

quote:

wealthandfitness 1 point an hour ago

Smart contracts. "When I die, transfer my coins here"

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
if you never lose anything if you don't sell, then you must also never gain anything if you don't sell, and everyone knows true bitcoiners will never sell, so...

i guess the math checks out.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Verdafolio posted:

now that bitcoin is dead cat bouncing, everyone has started talking about "blockchain technology"

what does the blockchain do besides unmodifiable ledger and entries at the cost of huge amounts of wasted heat and hard drive space?

smart contracts and the internet of things and anything you can dream of, and more!

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

As a Millennial I posted:

screencapped because now their reddit account is gone too

according to http://whois.domaintools.com/coinfire.cf the domain was registered today. seems likely they let registration lapse, someone picked it up, and recovered access to their twitter and reddit acounts (which probably had coinfire.cf emails).

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

The Treasury Department states this bill requires the Treasury Department, in consultation with the Department of Revenue Administration and the Department of Administrative Services, to develop an implementation plan for the State to accept bitcoin as payment for taxes and fees beginning July 1, 2017.

but i thought bitcoin would be smashing the state any time now, will there even be a government in 2017?

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Linguica posted:

Dratel explained the Silk Road notes found in Ulbricht’s bedroom trashcan as having been dictated to him over the phone, perhaps by whoever was framing him.

did he explain it as neuro-linguistic programming overriding ulbricht's wetware, causing him to write those notes and throw them away with no memory of doing so? the perfect crime.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

restingwitchface posted:

I never understood this question

if i am reading this as "i haven't seen the glory of amberpos", there is a green and amber icon you can click in the upper right corner of the screen which changes the forum from a horrible green to a delightful amber.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

restingwitchface posted:

In any case, there's actually an issue with venue re: the hacking charge that I think is very interesting! But I don't think I'll write it up, because it's probably not really actually interesting to anyone but me.

i can promise most people here would be interested. we are damaged people.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
that guy who put BTC on a pole, after someone took it and posted about it on reddit:

quote:

kennyrowe -11 points an hour ago

BTC! If you want to be kind send me my original .045 back ;)
12gUjtRvNRHErbe2PHSg9Ad2DpzGDPK1MJ
Glad you enjoyed the game.

he was called a cheapass and downvoted to hell

quote:

kennyrowe -80 points 13 hours ago

fine - deleted, you guys are harsh

what an idiot, he should have just kept the private key! no chargebacks.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Boxturret posted:

someone probably thought it was a weird ad for guitar lessons

nah someone tracked it down from the pictures posted in the thread

quote:

PoleSistah 82 points 15 hours ago

Thank you kennyrowe, this was fun!

Crust First fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 8, 2015

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

http://www.coindesk.com/bter-bitcoin-stolen-cold-wallet-hack/ posted:

Digital currency exchange BTER announced that it has lost 7,170 bitcoins, or roughly $1.75 million at press time, in an apparent hack on its cold wallet system.

In a statement posted to the China-based exchange's website, the company said that it had shut down its platform in the wake of the attack and that withdrawals for user balances "will be arranged later".

[...]

BTER says it is offering a 720 BTC bounty "for chasing it back", although the company did not elaborate on the exact nature of the bounty. CoinDesk has reached out to BTER for comment on the hack but did not receive an immediate reply.

not enough epoxy in their ethernet ports obviously

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
stolen from /r/buttcoin:

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
the real reason people keep their bitcoins on exchanges is so when the reckoning comes they can sell seLL SELL without having to wait an hour for their bitcoins to transfer to the exchange

only true believers who would never sell anyway bother with the cold storage nonsense

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
there's a bitcoin site called brawker, where you trade your bitcoins to strangers so that they will purchase stuff for you with stolen credit cards and then your house gets raided or whatever, it's very popular among bitcoiners.

quote:

WillieSmothers 36 points 7 hours ago

I used Brawker to buy a gift card which I didn't spend immediately. The charge was reversed and the gift card invalidated. When I contacted Brawker, they informed me that I needed to spend the gift card immediately to avoid being scammed. Essentially they said that the charge back is the gift card vendor's probem so long as I don't hold the gift card any longer than necessary. Their business model is unethical and they should be avoided because scammers are all over that site with fake credit cards.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
the dice thing is just bitcoiners rolling their own diceware by directly rolling the hex values that turn into bitcoin keys. if you were doing a brainwallet your words would be hashed and then converted to a key, they're just rolling the hash directly, for whatever reason. it's dumb, they're dumb, bitcoin.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
i've never seen this before: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/From_address

quote:

Bitcoin addresses are used to receive payments, but not to send them: there is no concept of a "from" address in Bitcoin.
A common exchange on Bitcoin forums goes like this:
X: How do I see the address that a transaction came from?
or: Why does my wallet software not tell me where transactions came from?
Y: (You can’t,) because there is no ‘from’ address.
X: What the hell do you mean? My transaction came from somewhere!
This is an attempt to explain readably but fairly completely in one easily linkable place.

[snip a billion words]

quote:

Solutions
Perhaps we’re doomed, and Bitcoin will never see mass adoption because of traps like these that await the unwary. On the other hand, things can be done.
If you’re telling someone about Bitcoin you should avoid mentioning the concept, except to explain how, in this respect, Bitcoin doesn’t operate like other payment systems or sender/receiver systems they might know.
Tools like block explorers and wallets should either refrain from showing inferences altogether, or should show them only in an advanced mode — with the right name and a prominent list of reasons why they’re of academic interest only. Perhaps if folks make enough noise, they will.
Uptake of the payment protocol and other such measures that deliver refund addresses in the same communication as payment requests/payments should be encouraged. These hide such dirty temptations from the user.
Privacy-protecting wallets should be preferred, since those avoid address re-use anyway.

basically they go through all the facts about how you can't really be 100% sure that the coins you got came from somewhere they could actually be sent back to (lol like you'd ever send coins back to someone) but don't worry it isn't confusing or another nail in the coffin of bitcoin or anything, it's on the wiki!

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

i value these voicemails at $20 5

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

https://cryptoine.com/
Unfortunately, cryptoine was hacked.

The hacker found some race condition bug in our trading engine. Manipulation of orders gave him false balances.

Soon we reveal more details.

this means "we didn't lock anything when updating our database and if he did something like canceled orders fast enough he could cancel the same order 20 times and get refunded multiple times for the same order"

this is the sort of poo poo i used to do on poorly coded web games when i was a childe. babby's first exchange. except it's every exchange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

i did not expect to see this posted anywhere ever again. my old second life avatar is in this video. shameful.

• Locked thread