Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vOv
Feb 8, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

Do bitcoiners have anything to say about quantum computers likely turning public key cryptography into poo poo sometime this or next decade? I know that they think that their butts are going to last forever, but before long mankind is going to develop a capability that destroys the foundation upon which they've placed their hopes and dreams,and and even the most hardcore holdouts will be hosed then

It's like the end of any pyramid scheme but a million times more extreme, because even your worthless tulip bulbs get taken away

lol if you think that quantum computers are going to start factorizing large numbers 'this or next decade'

also iirc bitcoin is actually quantum-safe if you don't reuse addresses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

Factorization was actually the first quantum algorithm to be solved, so yeah, I think it's really feasible

it's not a question of implementing the algorithm it's a question of building a computer that's large enough to actually factor cryptography-scale numbers

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

quote:

The USMS will not transfer bitcoins to an obscene public address, a public address apparently in a country restricted by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), a public address apparently associated with terrorism, other criminal activities, or otherwise hostile to the United States.

there go my plans :(

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

The Management posted:

why does a blog need to be dynamic? just generate some html and put it on a server

comments and searching i guess

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

aren't there static site generators for this sort of thing? you give it a bunch of markdown files and it spits out a bunch of html files

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Mulatto Butts posted:

my favourite part is if someone steals your private key they can steal your car too

even better, if you lose your private key now you have no way to prove you own the car

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

theres a library in ferguson that's open and set up a bitpay thing. some people are donating $10 to it, some people are changetipping them pennies on twitter

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

wait what's the original about

i bet it's ponies

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

oh god i googled some phrases and it's so much worse than i thought

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

A Pinball Wizard posted:

tbf ken hess is an idiot

you don't say

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I find this an interesting assertion, as cults are one of my favorite subjects. I study them intensively.

One key feature of cults is that they cultivate an irrational belief in a particular ideology.

In contrast, the blockchain is based on irrefutable concrete mathematics and perfect logic.

Many of the supporters of bitcoin, like myself, are professional software engineers who understand both the mathematics and software underpinning blockchain technology in incredible detail.

We recognize that this is a true breakthrough technology which is as game changing as the invention of the internet itself.

All of this forms the basis of a concrete belief system in an innovative technology, this belief is anything but 'cult' like.

Perhaps you just don't understand what is really going on here.

I think you confuse rational enthusiasm with irrational fanaticism. I get that, to the uneducated, you might confuse the two but, I assure you, there is a cleat difference.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

i'm worry about Blockchain, AI, and the Singularity (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 57 minutes ago by utuxia [-6]

...when our money becomes self aware and attacks us.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

eschaton posted:

everyone knows statists prefer Helvetica

something something serifdom

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

> I bought another two bitcoins today: It felt good. I've never felt that way about transferring money to a savings account or buying shares of a stock. Why?

Because you are part of a Revolution. Also, not only are you buying Bitcoin, but you are buying freedom, independence, and sovereignty from the existing slave, scam system.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

if we're talking about sonic then I have to post this video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hQzDeEtbvME

turn down your speakers tho

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

i think we all like how

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

FCKGW posted:

aren't you not supposed to be going around blabbing what info you've given to the feds?

i'm like 99% sure that you explicitly need to be told 'you can't tell anybody about this' and most subpoenas don't have that clause

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

that's an urban myth afaik though wikipediaing it led me to this:

quote:

In 1936, Parker Brothers began licensing the game for sale outside of the United States. In 1941, the British Secret Intelligence Service had John Waddington Ltd., the licensed manufacturer of the game in the United Kingdom, create a special edition for World War II prisoners of war held by the Nazis.[4] Hidden inside these games were maps, compasses, real money, and other objects useful for escaping. They were distributed to prisoners by Secret Service-created fake charity groups.[5]

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

How can a particle be sure of what a nearby particle is doing? How can I know for sure that this is the position that I will inhabit, if it's very actions will determine and be determined by those of a million particles around it, *who are equally unsure of what state they are in*?

The answer is the blockchain.

This blockchain however is a little different than the one you and I use to record bitcoin transactions. Instead, this is a fourth dimensional blockchain (let's call it a spacechain) that slowly builds itself as it winds across a temporal space. It becomes a little more complicated when you incorporate relativity: different parts of the 'spacechain' are growing at different rates due to individuals travelling through time at different speeds, but the idea is the same.

When a particle is trying to decide what position to take, it assesses the condition of particle around it, and tries to solve for a solution that fits the current 'quantum hash' . I'll refer to a local quantum hash as the current formula which defines all mathematical possibilities for a particle. However, those possibilities change like the tides of an ocean as other particles change around it. It's only when other particles force a particular particle to choose a state that a 'solution' is found in the space chain. The space chain then grows according to the information that is added to it by these interactions.

All particles in the universe are simultaneously trying to solve for each other in a sort of frenzied, quantum game-theory way. Whenever there is a disagreement about which state a particular set of particles should take, just like the block chain, it is brute force which determines the outcome. It's interesting, and what we haven't realized yet, is that concepts such a 51% attack are also possible on the space chain, though impractical with today's technology.

It's also important that we keep in mind that though our consciousness lends us to believe that we are observers in this space chain, we are actually part of it, which handcuffs us in some ways but it is also quite extraordinary.

Essentially, when the block chain of bitcoin grows large enough, and with a few additional tweaks, a new type of artificial intelligence will emerge. We are the end result proof of that inevitability. When the space chain was let grow large enough and after enough interactions, the space chain began to observe itself and begin to consider how to best change itself.

If this occurred in the blockchain, we would be surely frightened. Imagine that the entire universe is a digital crypto currency for a higher intelligence, and suddenly it wants to reorganize itself according to... Itself.

A rogue chunk like this could quickly corrupt the rest of the bulk if left unchecked, just as we would fret if (in a world that uses bitcoin as a primary store of value) the block chain suddenly decided to reorganize itself from within.

The future is a strange and scary place.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

also apparently that guy that posted the story that totally 100% happened about his kid writing an essay on btc posted an update

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

apparently it was confirmed that the electrum dude got hacked

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

well yeah its dumb that he hasn't recovered his account (though if the hacker changed the e-mail address you'd have to go through twitter support and i've heard bad things about them)

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

jony ive aces posted:

A Fattened fully hyperbitcoinized rubbery rope bondage wrapped version of Satoshi Nakamoto. Full permanent bitcoin head, full permanent bitcoin body, two permanent bitcoin feet, a permanent bitcoin tail, two permanent litecoin and bitcoin ears, two permanent litecoin lips, a huge thick permanent litecoin, bitcoin and dogecoin tongue, a permanent litecoin nose, permanent bitcoin organs and bitcoin insides and the typical blood type of autism. fully wrapped up, tiedup, bound, all foreverially tiedup all over from full permanent bitcoin head to full permanent bitcoin feet and enjoying it. Does the same thing as the other train sperg who is just like him, only hyperbitcoinized differently

nooooo

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

i was wondering where i'd seen nakamotoinstitute.org before and then i remembered this bugfuck article

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

'people always do what will benefit them most' is the greatest belief because the more you show them evidence they more redefine 'benefit' until it becomes completely meaningless

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

whos bryan boyko

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

hey

they elected two candidates (out of eight)

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

there are two things that europeans hate more than anything else: racism and the roma

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

i'm not sure if this guy is a scammer or just super deluded

bonus reddit thread

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

killhamster posted:

i spent way too much time doing this

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

i think i found my new favorite bitcoin poster and by favorite i mean 'this dude is loving wacko'

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

iawtp

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

you recommended a few but I think you said quantum thief which I've been enjoying feels it seems similar but different to the culture books which I like

I think you mentioned ancillary justice too and I was going to start that next

gonadic io posted:

the Fractal Price universe is like the culture except that rather than having things run by very sensible and benevolent AIs, things are run by AIs that were once human and still fight over petty poo poo and are dicks

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Soricidus posted:

mostly we own ourselves

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

theflyingorc posted:

"Who has hacked you, Polyphemous?"

"Anonymous! Anonymous has hacked me!"

"If you don't know who hacked you, quiet down!"

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ayn rand hand job posted:

its reached ultrabuyalot

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

bucketmouse posted:

insert lots of emptyquotes here about rainbows and polyphemus and borges and this for whoever wanted good scifi

merry christmas nonbutthavers

quote:

But Flora is not like other bees.

this made me lol irl a little

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Exinos posted:

A botcoiners time is so worthless they will literally collect 1/100th of a cent.

i think it autoaccepts or something if you've collected a tip before?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

oh wait you didn't lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

americanpegasus is one of those people where, if this isn't all some bizarre act, i genuinely want him to stop posting and get help for his own sake

• Locked thread