Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
/r/Bitcoin seems to have descended further into self-parody.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2zrdxz/withdrawals_halted_as_stolen_evolution_coins_make/cplpftr

stanley_fresca 5 points 2 hours ago

The fact that the coins can be tracked and tainted is a fundamental fact of the bitcoin protocol. If you want a currency that can't be tracked as easily, consider using paper US dollars.

What a novel concept. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
Smart contracts seem like a hopeless ideal for people that believe software bugs can never happen.

BRB, updating OpenSSL.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

The Management posted:

it's the blockchain that becomes self aware, buttcoiners never do

ALL GLORY TO THE CRYPTOTOAD.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

I don't know what's more annoying. This or those people that leave fake dollar bills with an ad for a church on the back.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Tayter Swift posted:

if God wanted the waitress to have money she would already have it

I'm imagining a Westboro Baptist Church-style sign that says "GOD DIDN'T TIP" now.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

oh hey tip chat

Yep, just the tip. :smuggo:

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

The Management posted:

so is this guy arguing that AML is a good thing and that anonymous financial transactions should be banned?

I'm pretty sure bitcoins are still anonymous in the end. The Blockchain™ appears to only tell you which pocket the money is in and not who's wearing the pants. Every attempt I've seen to move past that ends up in wild speculation and how it was clearly Mark Karpeles the whole time.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 23, 2015

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

A Pinball Wizard posted:

brb sending this to ross ulbricht's lawyer, heel need it for the appeal

The best part is they found his sorry rear end by locating the Silk Road server itself through a bug in his poorly designed website. Nothing at all to do with ~following The Blockchain™~. :psypop:

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 23, 2015

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Chocobo posted:

its not a pump and dump its a revolution

If bitcoin is multi-level marketing, then Synero is multi-level stupidity.

CampingCarl posted:

Still it is pretty funny to see the goal posts move from "bitcoin is completely anonymous" all the way to "bitcoin is not anonymous at all" depending on what the latest bitcoin scandal was.

Agreed. It's kinda both since you can mine, hold, and trade bitcoins more or less anonymously but the moment you try and exchange them for real money you need 47 different ways to verify your identity and 16-factor authentication from companies with no real privacy policy or credibility. Kind of like trading Magic the Gathering cards.

Oh poo poo.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 24, 2015

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

jetz0r posted:

there's more people and stores willing to take magic cards instead of cash than ones willing to take bitcoin.

Fair point. None the less, there's more similarities than you'd think in the two markets MtGox had been involved in...

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 24, 2015

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

So wait, account balances were stored in the WordPress database so that if WordPress was compromised, the attacker could create fake BTC to buy and sell "real" cryptocurrency? :psyduck:

Regardless of how WordPress was compromised in the first place, it seems like that was an accident waiting to happen.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 24, 2015

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Sentient Data posted:

Dude you don't get it, the marketing guy NEEDED WordPress on the same mission critical server that their trading site was on. You know, the one without proper protections from wp bugs, the one open to the whole internet, the one that didn't have vpn restrictions to its admin stuff, and the one that I'd bet big money was just on some shared $2.99/mo virtual server

Hold on a second...

AllCrypt blog posted:

Q: Your security sucks!
A: I see you running an exchange successfully, I’ll take your advice. Wait, you don’t run an exchange? You’re unemployed? Thanks for the input.

Apparently you need to run an exchange in order to comprehend basic network security. Well poo poo, nevermind.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 24, 2015

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

jre posted:

What does ephemeral mean , reboot, Fuuuuuuuuuuuck

:laffo: forever

Seriously? :eyepop::eyepop:

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

FCKGW posted:

Yes, it was former exchange Bitomat.pl. 3rd largest exchange at the time behind Mt. Gox and Tradehill. 17k coins lost.

I agree, this will never not be funny.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
Found this post on reddit from nearly 4 years ago that's pretty good.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/j4t58/3rd_largest_bitcoin_exchange_has_lost_its/c2961ws

"The thing to remember is that bitcoin is still in its infancy. If bitcoin is around 5 years from now, I have no doubts that the kinks will be worked out. But until then, we're all early-adopters, with all the related risks."

Still waiting...

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Heh. Be careful what you wish for.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Sweevo posted:

i read that as "virtual rabbis" and thought second life had gotten even weirder

Is it actually possible for Second Life to get weirder?

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

TVarmy posted:

there's also /r/games_journalism, which I am not going to touch.

I'm pretty sure there's a thread in GBS for that...

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Well, at least the flair is accurate.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Nagato posted:

where we're going... we dont need roads to breathe

How Can Bitcoin Be Real If Money Isn't Real

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

I like how the title is about how it's all Evo's fault and then meticulously explains how it was his fault for doing dumb poo poo. :allears:

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

TVarmy posted:

bitcoin strives to be a good option for the unbanked by taking the form of a product that nickels and dimes those who can't or won't get a bank account. but with bitcoin.

Walmart MoneyCards, but with bitcoin.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
Wait, murder is now non-confrontational? I think this is something we nerds can finally rally around.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Muscle Tracer posted:

real, actual, not just bitcoiner but Serious Libertarian

Heh. Isn't the only difference their advocacy for getting scammed with real money rather than bitcoins?

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
Duly noted.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

theflyingexecutive posted:

tonal just irritates me so much

like I just don't understand someone thinking squiggle hex is some magical genius secret

How can you not love "Bitcoin-bong" being a legitimate unit of measurement?

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Tonal_Bitcoin#Specification

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

surebet posted:

the thing that snapped me out of my initial "alright bitcoin is weird but what if" daze was a serious discussion on bitcointalk on how land owners could store all of their individual laws on the ~blockchain~ so that they were publicly viewable So if you stepped on their land you automatically created a joinder that declared your consent to getting shot in the face if black

of course this was powered by an app that would never fail and be equipped with a sub meter precise gps and yes absolutely i want to live in a world where I have to review legalese every 50 steps to avoid being murdered because this is somehow better than big brother

Even if this wasn't a fundamentally flawed idea, couldn't you just use Google Docs or some poo poo?

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Hey, this might be weird, but I just heard of fitcoin the other day, and was wondering if you're in anyway associated with it. That'd be kind of cool if you were official and stuff; just figured I should ask, considering that it'd be pretty cool to see a reddit post with 0 post karma become a reality a year later.

That is some desperate advertising.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i have absolutely no recollection of making that post.

None of us ever do.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Weatherman posted:

whole lotta chodes with working shift keys up in this piece

Sorry, I'll check my shift key privilege.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
Just loving lol.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Buttcoin/comments/30hg49/hey_you_buttcoin_crew/

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Man, I don't think I've ever seen a combination more terrible than 60fps video and a person that can't hold the camera still. :barf:

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

64 CFM ought to be enough for anyone

Needs an upgrade.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

JamesieAB posted:

This guy's videos are great and this is one of my favourites. my other is the falling cat one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtWbpyjJqrU

Those are some insane reflexes. Apparently my cat knows more about physics than I do.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

what the long war equivalent of bitcoin?

Making money instead of losing it.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol they are photoshops (i hope)

also I just realised that the $25000 YiffCred card has red rockets on it :o: apologies.

They're probably fake, but it's apparently a reference to some lovely mobile app company buying FurAffinity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMVU

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
IETF proposal to embed Bitcoin addresses into DNS records

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wiley-paymentassoc-00

quote:

In the case of cryptocurrency, such as Bitcoin, transactions are not reversible; if Bitcoin is sent to the wrong address the funds are permanently lost.

quote:

The security of different payment mechanisms varies widely with respect to vulnerability to unauthorized transfers. In the case of a cryptocurrency like Bitcoin that vulnerability is very low (provided the payer uses their wallet properly).

It's so secure that you could lose money permanently by making a typo.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 29, 2015

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

:stare:

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

I have to wonder how much of what he says is bullshit just so that he can sound more important than he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

text editor posted:

We know from the court docs of the old case that Ross was made aware of agents making contact with karpeles, so it's assumed this is some of the information carl mark force iv and his buddy were shuttling between karpeles and dpr

Fair enough but drat, maybe the conspiracy theorists have a point. He really does have his sausage fingers in a lot of pies.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 31, 2015

• Locked thread