Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

please continue posting my secret bdsm fantasies

ok jian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Greyhawk posted:

"the firefight is won by the one that shoots faster and aims better"

"in case of ice or snow be prepared for cold temperatures"

"when sunset begins expect increasing darkness"

actual quotes from the German Army's Central Operations Manual

that's some yogi berra level advice right here

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mpyne 6 hours ago | link

Bitcoin is a scheme designed to create a deflationary store of value by wasting electrical energy, co-opted by a vast amount of people who really did look at it like "tulips" and who continue to operate today as if it's a pump-and-dump. You are certainly right to point out that there are a lot of Bitcoin developers and users who are not assholes and have good intentions, but Bitcoin is not the vehicle that's going to work for things like banking in undeveloped countries.
I'm honestly a bit surprised you brought that up, as even with the mining fees needed to pay off the Bitcoin network being subsidized by inflation of the money supply (which is apparently good when it's happening now in accordance with an algorithm that was certainly not determined by a centrali party, but won't be good in 20 years because ???), Bitcoin currently requires about $18 per transaction (https://blockchain.info/charts/cost-per-transaction). And the price is only that low because the value of Bitcoin in USD has been dropping steadily for months. If Bitcoin ever became as popular as its proponents hope then the per/tranx price will go up as well (until the entire network is burning through so much electrical power that more miners can't be brought online to compete in the Mine-a-Block lottery at the new, higher Bitcoin price).
Increasing the number of transactions will help, sure, but it's currently limited to ~7 per second, and although there are technical means of increasing that someday, the Bitcoin lead developer has indicated they probably wouldn't do that anyways (https://bitcoinfoundation.org/2014/10/blocksize-economics/) since then how will the poor miners make money?
And in a future where people actually have to bid their transaction fee high enough to be accepted by benevolent miners just to make it in the blockchain, how are the poor of Africa supposed to compete at all? I'm glad you're worried about them, but don't tie their fate to a network which is designed to be horribly inefficient just so people can say that no trusted third parties were ever utilized in a monetary transaction! Especially in this era of increasing centralization in Bitcoin itself; I don't see how those in Africa were their most-capable computing device is a mobile are supposed to compete with the mining pools and ASIC manufacturer/miners, all you'll have done is traded centralized protocols regulated by the public sector with centralized Bitcoin overseen by the profit-seeking private sector.
I'm not an expert on the wide field of crypto-currency but surely there must be something better out there.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Robawesome posted:

Hahaha I can't believe what I saw that.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
hell yeah RPN owns

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Linguica posted:

has anyone said "Dodgecoin"

I did but it was taken over by fiat

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

buttvember lookin good

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

i keep Jonnty banned in irc because he never chats and fucks up everybody's nick completion for me. sorry bru

that's treason jonny

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

shadok posted:

sometimes my wife sees me snickering at my tablet and asks me, "are you reading about the bitcoin people again?"

also she likes to see good cattes from the catte thread.

a goode wyfe

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I was wondering why there were so many new posts since last week

so many happenings to take in!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

buttcoin

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Susan's coming yo! http://kottke.org/15/01/the-sounds-of-the-wire

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

theflyingexecutive posted:

it's like having the world's most powerful and deadly space laser but using it to gently caress w/ an anthill

or make popcorn! :)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

restingwitchface posted:

Thanks for this, this was helpful.

with the command line "touch" command you can set file modified dates at any time

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

Also you should read Illuminatus!, RAW in general owns

confirmed

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ayn rand hand job posted:

put a RNG on it

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Poopy Palpy posted:

Those checks have an address on them and you will move before you get through the first checkbook.

last book of cheques I ordered had the address as optional

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Muscle Tracer posted:

in a move that ought to surprise no one, the pioneer of credit default swaps is getting into butts

trigger warning, contains the phrase "speed and efficiencies of the blockchain"

from bloomberg

aaaaa

quote:

“Blythe’s unique vision, leadership qualities and dynamism were the key ingredients that we looked for in a CEO to help re-invent the aging, costly and hack-prone legacy processes and infrastructure of settlement services,” Hirani said in a statement from Digital Asset.
re-invent like re-inventing the wheel, or do you mean disrupt?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

AlbieQuirky posted:

am I the only one who hates it when US people say "uni" to refer to US post-secondary educational institutions?

they just do it to sound british anyway

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol remember those two weeks when a loony was like $1.02 and every canadian fail lord bragged about it whenever they could?

it was above parity for a good while lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Koinify 2015

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Wednesday April 02, 2014:

dilsnype

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
isn't @free_ross his mom?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
They don't advertise for snitches in a newspaper. That was my profession. Ex-coder, ex-Bit Runner, ex-dealer.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
the bitcoin storefront at King & Spadina here in Toronto appears to be empty and a "for lease" sign is on the front bay window

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

narcotic-laden vagina dentata

ClamAV

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

today a fat man baby's personal dayplanner/diary meticulously detailing his meetings and conversations with key members of the government during his exploitation of canada's hilariously broken senate compensation programs was shown in court

I sighed wistfully; it's funny, but it's not DPR and silk road funny

Bitcoin has set the bar for incompetence and corruption so high it's hard for other things to even come close

I'd rather have Wynn Duffy in the senate than Mike Duffy

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Dr. Honked posted:

karples stole all the bitcoins. he stole them all.

and that's terrible

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

sorry, dawg, I been busy

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Ayn Randi posted:

Two bits on the eyes is customary, to changetip Charon for passage over the privately held river styx

charon has a transport monopoly. time to disrupt and decentralize it

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

rjmccall posted:

yospos, bitč

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
you can't swim with the sharks if you don't float()

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
not totally bitcoin-related, more of a side-chain of laffs:

With Eye on Fiscal Armageddon, Texas Set to 'Repatriate' Its Gold To New Texas Fort Knox

quote:

The law Abbott signed calls for the creation of an electronic payments system that will allow gold, silver, platinum, palladium, and rhodium depositors to write checks against their accounts, making the depository into a bank – one that will create a metal-backed money supply intended to challenge the paper currency issued by the Federal Reserve - or "Yankee dollars" as one of the law's top supporters calls them.

In what Capriglione – the depository bill’s sponsor – called “an easy to read summary of the specifics” of the law, a Tea Party site described the depository as a “game changer.” The author of the piece, a metals dealer named Franklin Sanders, wrote that “since at least 1991 I have firmly believed that whenever an electronic payments system could be established using silver & gold, it could supplant fiat currencies worldwide within two years at most, less time given a crisis. Now Texas steps forward to make it stick. And if Texas has the nerve to carry though, it will make Texas a center of world finance to rival New York and London better than Switzerland, because it contains 27,695,284 Texans and all but two of ‘em are armed & serious.” (Sanders favors the term “Yankee dollars” to describe paper currency.)

seriously just read the whole drat thing

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Heresiarch posted:

a sisyphean nightmare, forever trapped in an endless wall of sperg

how long can thread titles be?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Heresiarch posted:

there's a rule somewhere that any time you criticize somebody else's use of the language you will make a terrible typo or grammatical error

i think it's something to do with thermo

it's called muphry's law

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Boxturret posted:

please be floats :pray:

Segmentation Fault posted:

knock knock, register the stack and print
it's the non-stop POP POP of unsigned ints

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
In late 2013 Jorge took an active interest in the economics of cryptocurrencies. He became extremely skeptical about its underlying soundness and chances of success, and has been advising the Brazilian public against investment in bitcoin. [13]

• Locked thread