Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AlsoD posted:

i'm calling Poe's law on this one, no way is this person genuine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

trucutru posted:

[URO] A Real Long Term Currency: 1 Uro = 1 Metric Tonne Urea Fertilizer

The thread for URO is 225 pages long.

i thought the whole thing about cryptocurrency was that they're only backed by how many strawberries you dried out, not an actual physical commodity :confused:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TVarmy posted:

some of the supermarkets near me sell polish mass produced cookies that are p cheap and tasty. id take them over dried strawberries.

if they've got paczkis, get some :yum:

(approximate pronunciation: "poonch-key")

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

goddamnedtwisto posted:

everything about bitcoin is loving cargo cult

in fact didn't someone itt talking about the sec and fincen smackdowns say "they've built the runways and the tower and now they're getting strafed"? because that's the best loving simile i've read in a really long time

(if it wasn't someone here pretend i said it and send me all your 5s)

that sounds like a metaphor, not a simile :spergin:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Boxturret posted:

all this great stuff is happening and all the p/c thread is doing is going on about how great uber is

the paranormal/conspiracy forum has a thread for this stuff?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

theflyingorc posted:

it's a brand of crappy cook-at-home pizzas

it's actually pretty good

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

newreply.php posted:

i think the amount of dudes that think "well it's over this secret internet so i guess thats safe enough" may outweigh the ppl using PGP so a market that requires it would lose out on a lot of the best customers: total loving loser idiots

"You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it." --Scott McNealy, in 1999

i still want to punch him in the face, but he was pretty much correct

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

do you think they'll go after the people on reddit who were wondering if their orders would be fulfilled? or are they just going after the people who run the sites that make connections between buyers and sellers?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

jony ive aces posted:

yeah it's p. funny

quote:

[–]euchrid3 9 points 2 hours ago
You want to form secret alliances in your crusade for ethics and transparency? It seems like you don't know what those words mean.

lol

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

trucutru posted:

xkcd 1446: ???

With that infinite ROI magikarp will be able to pay everybody real soon. (And of loving course he is a fan of XKCD)

it looks like xkcd 1446 is the most recent comic. is he going to register a new domain every time there's an update?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Management posted:

this assumes that the price of bitcoins is based on real market dynamics instead of hype, scams, and idiots.

i'm pretty sure those factors are critically important for the real economic markets, too

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

actually here's the one you want

cash money bitches

vince mcmahon is so weird to me. my brain still says "wait, the guy who was doing play-by-play commentary actually owned it all?"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
the one about opera was tough for me to get into, because i have no understanding of or interest in opera :shrug:

but there were brilliant bits in it. they've all got some redeeming factors

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FCKGW posted:

mods ban this chucklefuck

i bet he's the guy that checks out every single website's april fools page and runs to be the first to the comments section to post "april fools!"

i hate april fools jokes :mad:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TVarmy posted:

also, what's the rationale for why freemen of the land think the government is corrupt and dishonest, yet also strictly bound to the literal phrasing of the constitution?

they are victims of scammers. the guys who sell the "how to be a freeman of the land" books don't use the legal techniques they advocate

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ayn rand hand job posted:

did you get mad at the parrot sketch during graham chapmans funeral too

they dumped chapman's ashes on stage "by accident" during some memorial show. i want to believe those were really his ashes in the jar

graham chapman trivia: he was a full-blown medical doctor. and he and his partner pretty much adopted some guy whose life was all hosed up, and i think he might have written a memoir about chapman (memory is fuzzy on this)

also, he was a huge drunk during the monty python tv years (approximately). he kicked the habit when they were doing movies, though

prefect fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 14, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Herman Merman posted:

buttcoiners repeating economic history in fast forward, again

:vince:

he must have specially-fitted pants to fit those enormous balls

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FCKGW posted:

[–]changetip 1 point 2 hours ago
The Bitcoin tip for 1 buttplug (52 bits/$0.02) has been collected by CheGites.

why would you have a name for exactly 52 units of currency?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
how many bits make up a dildo?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TVarmy posted:

so is it fair to say tim draper wouldn't have a good way to cash out even if he came to his senses?

he's already lost 33% to 50% of his investment depending on estimates and the price of the hour. and he's established himself as the current greatest fool by buying lots of coins at the highest price.

he's rich; none of the money he's spent is meaningful to him the way it might be to you or me

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

goddamn i love me some squidbillies

the guy who does the sheriff's voice should be a country singer; he's got an amazing voice

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

that guy's the elder squid -- the sheriff seems to be non-famous: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Ellerbee

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

In 2012, according to Free State Project president Gericke, a group from Connecticut set up a tent serving Polish food. To attract customers, the vendors would rev up a chain saw. The combination of the chain saw and some rowdy evenings bothered enough people in Agora Valley that a few other vendors went into town to print fliers urging Porcfest attendees to boycott their food.

That was fine with the restaurateurs, who offered a 50 percent discount to any customer who brought in one of the fliers. It was the perfect example of the free market at work.

Until the next year, when Porcupine Festival organizers let them know the chainsaw antics wouldn’t be welcomed back. There had been too many complaints.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DaTroof posted:

aka the "not canny valley"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

A Pinball Wizard posted:

im the jurassic park reference

no wait im the jack swagger catchphrase

i'm the princess leia paraphrase

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

duTrieux. posted:

rand paul argued on television that eric garner's death was a good example of out-of-control taxation in this country.

somebody (ny times? wapo?) had an article about how the right-wingers are opposed to the eric garner death because nanny state

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
this is the article with the graph showing bitcoins dropping faster than rubles

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/12/15/russias-economy-is-doomed-its-that-simple/?tid=pm_pop

linking it because i want an excuse to copy/paste this quote:

Add it all up, and the ruble has fallen something like 22 percent against the dollar the past month, with 11 percent of that coming on Monday alone. As you can see below, the Russian ruble has fallen even further than the Ukrainian hryvnia or Brent oil has this year. The only asset, and I use that word lightly, that's done worse than the ruble's 50 percent fall is Bitcoin, which is a fake currency that techno-utopians insist is the future we don't know we want.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

i just wish it had read "the future we know we don't want", but it's still good

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Verdafolio posted:

let me google labrys to see what it is, oh wait no it's anime

the text says greek and roman, but the picture says crime against humanity :confused:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
hocus pocus

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

unpacked robinhood posted:

what's the latin for wiki ?

there's got to be some lunatic out there who translates hawaiian to latin for fun

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
romanes eunt domus

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

newreply.php posted:

well known roman mythological figure jason lmao

how did the greeks pronounce "j"?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

newreply.php posted:

that is implied when talking about ancient greece

:haw:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

theflyingorc posted:

by the way the thread in gbs where the like 15 gamergate supporters all circlejerk each other is v weird

is that the hell thread? i looked in there for a little bit, but it was all animes being posted

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Linguica posted:

God I was trying to figure out what one of those insane bitcoin charts is supposed to mean and I found https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/bitcoin-market-gann-lens/ which "explains" it

I looked up William Gann and he literally practiced "financial astrology" so that should say it all pretty much

His wikipedia page reads like it was written by a low-grade schizophrenic too

He started trading in 1902 when he was 24.[6]
[6] He was left handed. Pattern, Price & Time: Using Gann ... - Google Book Search. books.google.co.uk. Retrieved 2009-03-15.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

goddamnedtwisto posted:

westminster council does exactly this

also this

in amsterdam they've got those public urinal things that rise up out of the floor at night like a vampire piss wurlitzer

sometimes they come up when they're not supposed to, with hilarious consequences - with the blockchain you would be able to bid when they came up so motorcyclists that didn't want to be killed could bid for them to stay down but people operating youtube channels could bid for them to come up

that is amazing and awesome (not the part where the guy got injured, of course)

DNova posted:

pierre ou est tu?

je suis dans la pissoir

ah, tres bien!

i think "es" is the proper conjugation to go with "tu". and i suspect they use a different word altogether, because they have different idioms :france:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DNova posted:

LAY OFF MAN!!!

sorry for that outburst I have not used french much in many years and i'm sad to be losing it

same :smith:

i subscribe to the french-language thread (from dnd, i think), but i never get around to actually trying to read it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

trucutru posted:

As long as you remember that the CASAScius means Call A Spade A Spade-cius you won't have any trouble remembering :eng101:

what kind of a name is that? :confused:

• Locked thread