Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Heresiarch posted:

internally apple pay is a pretty radical departure from existing payment systems and it's worth reading about, it's not like google wallet which is basically just a wrapper around the usual credit card systems

anyone who thinks "currentc" has a chance in hell hasn't actually looked at how it works. it was designed to save the retailers money, not for customer convenience, and it completely shows. absolutely nobody is going to want to use it

but but but i can get coupons for using it

coupons

valuable coupons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

jony ive aces posted:

:vince:

why does this person hate the free market (arbitrage is bad :qq:)

also i'm the complaints about regulation juxtaposed against demands to see buttfinex's berth certificate

because someone else is getting to the arbitrage before he is, duh

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Werthog 95 posted:

idk how someone in the year 2014 doesn't just assume that every single thing they do on the internet is being monitored

i don't either, but you would be astounded at the dumb poo poo people will put in their email

basically if you're ever working for a company that might ever get sued just make a habit of using the phone. not just if you're doing something bad, even if you are a perfect angel (though it wouldn't hurt to send emails backing up you're a perfect angel of course)

i know of people who have endured a decade of litigation because of one poorly worded email and know of someone who probably wriggled out of federal charges because they don't use email ever so if he did it there's no paper trail

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

laffo he cracked and confessed everything the instant they looked at him funny:

quote:

In court, federal prosecutor Kathryn Haun said that Benthall was likely to flee and should not be released. "He was found with over $100,000 in cash at home," Haun told the court. "He has a passport. We're not aware of whether that was secured. In addition to all of the detail, Mr. Benthall did admit to everything after receiving his Miranda rights—that he was the administrator of Silk Road 2.0. Our principle basis is flight risk at this point."

Benthall will be interviewed by federal investigators as part of "pretrial services" on Thursday and will likely be held in custody in Oakland. He is due to appear in court in San Francisco again on Friday.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dren posted:

do they even have to say how they got access to a server that is not in the united states

They asked local law enforcement to do it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

laffo

i'm guessing either these idiots hire anyone who wants to join or there's a lot of loving bugs in the tor website thing because that is quite the haul

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Management posted:

I'm guessing the fbi doesn't get much traction in the Russian Federation these days.

no but I doubt you want to be running any sort of criminal enterprise there without giving the appropriate people a cut

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

unpacked robinhood posted:

self driving cars are the dumbest loving theing and much like bitcoin introduce way more problems than the non issue it tries to solve

there are approximately 33,561 problems per year as of 2012: http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Management posted:

holy poo poo, better stay away from automobiles

i drive all the time, not saying we shouldn't drive or anything but there's obviously a lot of room for improvement there

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Actually, if you could get all the vehicles on the road to be self operating and coordinate with each other we could have much higher speeds on highways and more efficient flow during high traffic volumes. This does require a centrally managed system with set standards and monitoring though, so the opposite of what is happening with Google

in practice it's much easier to go current cars -> google cars -> centralized control of robot cars than to just skip the middle step entirely as you're not going to be able to just flip a switch, robot cars have to coexist with human cars

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

theres just about nowhere that high speed rail is useful though.

normal 80 - 120 mph rail works just fine for commuter and intercity rail. and when you start going really long distances a 200 mph train still means you're going significantly slower than a plane so what's even the point. oh wow you can now do chicago to nyc by rail in 5 hours great why didn't you just fly for 2 hours, taking 30 minute commuter rail trains out and in to the airports

because you:

1)can't get from any nyc airport to manhattan in 30m reliably (no idea about Chicago)
2)can't get off a plane instantly
3)can't get a last-minute plane ticket without paying through the nose
4)have to go through security significantly increasing how early you need to get to the airport to be sure to make your flight with a sufficient degree of precision

once you factor in all of the time-wasters with flying it stops being as competitive for shorter flights if there's a good train available and once they're around the same time a train is like infinitely more convenient (plus you can get up and wander around a train)

that said the best situation for high-speed rail is the boston <-> dc corridor and that is indeed more an issue of better tracks than top speed of the train, but that's part of what a high-speed train is: better track infrastructure

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

You can't do this with trains, either. Or at least that was the case when I lived in Europe. You might be okay in places where the trains are owned and operated by the government

amtrak if it's not Thanksgiving or Christmas I show up at the station and by the next train to boston/dc/nyc and never have a problem, and it's like $20 more at most than if it was prebought

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I have heard talk that Karples is actually earning money as a consultant to the Mt. Gox. estate, which would be incredibly hilarious if it was true.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Improbable Lobster posted:

there are a bunch of <verb> Lobster usernames but luckily mine is too long and unwieldy to be mistaken

improbable isn't a verb, way2grammar

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Management posted:

how is this number derived? I want to use it to mock a bunch of idiots talking about the greatness of blockchain technology

mining is paid for by transaction fees (comes from miners) and creating new currency out of thin air (in essence, comes from everyone on the network through inflation of the currency)

you have to factor in the block reward when you talk about how much a transaction costs and once you do, you have the total money per block. you divide that by the transactions in the block, and you have what each transaction cost to process

bitcoiners like to ignore the block reward part but without the block reward transaction processing does not happen

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

haveblue posted:

question: why does "true and correct" appear so many times in these court documents

does it have some special legal meaning beyond the obvious

It means you're saying it's a genuine copy that hasn't been altered or the like and that the court can treat as evidence. You could just say that, but 'true and correct' has been used so long that a court might think it was odd if you used more normal language, plus you know exactly how it will be interpreted by the court when you use that phrase.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sweevo posted:

A legal doublet is a standardized phrase used frequently in English legal language which consists of two or more words which are near synonyms. The origin of the doubling — and sometimes even tripling — often lies in the transition of legal language from Latin to French. Certain words were simply given in their Latin, French and/or English forms, often pairing an English word (or a more archaic Anglo-Saxon word) with a Latin or French synonym, so as to ensure understanding. Such phrases can often be pleonasms.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_doublet

this is incredibly neat, i always assumed it was just someone being repetitive to make sure that they covered all their bases

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Boxturret posted:

<3 karpels

as a reminder he is probably collecting a paycheck from the mtgox estate to work as a consultant

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

text editor posted:

Karpeles loaned himself and his companies tons of money out of mtgox funds

All values are JPY

Mark Karpeles owns

You missed the best part: Tibbaine Co. Ltd has taken the position that the loan "was not intended to be repaid" according to the Trustee's report which is the reason they're refusing to pay it back (also disputing the amount, but that's not as hilarious).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

fun fact: despite the fact tibainne co ltd. owes 6m to the estate the estate has still been paying tibainne for various services to the estate in actual money instead of writing off debt :xd:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

I've always wondered where the real flag on those was. Obviously 999 is still bad, but that just makes 998 the new point, so it must be like 952 or something

That's obviously pretty secret. I also assume that even if you don't trip the flag the first time, if you keep having transactions close to it the flag lowers. So one $29k transaction is fine, two maybe, ten has set off sirens.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I kinda imagine that unlike freeman on the land logic there isn't a single computer program algorithm that does it in some absolute certain way. I bet every set of transactions in a big range just go to some guy at a desk and he looks them over and uses his imperfect human mind to think what looks good or not.

well AMA laws have a $10k threshold (if it's over 10k, you have to disclose a lot of info about it) and banks must comply with them, they cannot just send every $8k and up transaction to A Guy

they've got to have comprehensive algorithms to look for "structuring", where you're doing transactions under 10k to avoid that reporting. So that has to trigger for a few things:

1) transactions that are just below $10k (e.g. $9,999.98) where sure it's not over 10k but come on we know you're trying to avoid this single payment being flagged and you took a slight discount to do it
2) a series of transactions that indicate that a single >10k transaction was split into many. these don't HAVE to be near $10k: if I deposit $2k 100 times in one day you better believe that's a single transaction I am trying to avoid scrutiny on

every bank is theoretically liable if someone evades their AMA controls so they should have put quite a bit of effort into these

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

more like dICK posted:

this is the biggest and most complicated part. the important thing to know is that every stupid trick that bitcoiners try to use to get around AML checks has been done a million times before by smarter people, and the banks know about it.

customer profiles are a big part of determining what is or isnt suspicious. a guy who's entire transaction history is buying anime figurines online and getting pay deposits from mcdonalds suddenly making large transactions is VERY SUSPICIOUS even if the new transactions don't meet the AML thresholds

my favorite thing about structuring is eliot spitzer, former governor of new york, got his start in politics as a prosecutor and prosecuted criminals caught for money laundering because they got flagged for structuring

how did he get caught paying for hookers? why, he kept all his hooker payments just under $10k with really obvious structuring payments so the bank flagged on his transactions and the fbi started investigating why a sitting governor was laundering money

then they figured out why, and told everyone

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

It's astounding how much Dumb VC money is out there. I mean I know money =/= intelligence but you'd think they'd have been scammed out of their funds long before they hit the '$100k Angel investor' phase.

I imagine that the existence of twitter makes a lot of VCs throw up their hands at the idea that just because the idea is stupid as all loving hell means it won't make money.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

blugu64 posted:

I hear what you're saying, but isn't twitter losing money every quarter?

it went public, meaning the VCs who invested in it had money trucks back up to their swimming pools

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Magrov posted:

the BFL docket has updated! :neckbeard:

someone in the bitcoin forums bought a PACER account and shared the docs: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=150803.msg9734353#msg9734353

it looks like bitcoiners couldn't figure out in that thread that the proposed order that bfl filed (docket no 188) is not actually an order the court entered, it's them saying what they really really really hope the court says

they have a bunch of posts bemoaning that bfl won until someone notices that's not an actual court order

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

suffix posted:

is it normal to submit a 20 page fanfic complete with snarky footnotes "from the judge"?

seems a bit tryhard to me, and it's not like the judge is going to rubberstamp their finding of facts anyway

i don't know why you'd do that except to trick people into thinking it was a real court record

that is not typical, no

you generally submit the order you want so the judge can give you exactly what you're looking for if you win, but you just do basically a bare-bones order that is basically "for the reasons stated at the hearing and in [your party]'s brief, [the exact order you want]

so they'd usually submit a like two-page order that denies the injunction and dissolves the receivership

if the court wants to write out an involved opinion where they call someone a cocksucker they'll want to write that themselves

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Proteus4994 posted:

lol you're actually right

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/degrees-programs/journalism

It's the extension school that gives journalism degrees, not actual "Harvard University in Cambridge, MA"

the extension school gives actual harvard degrees though, not harvard* degrees

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Proteus4994 posted:

like, the degree might come from actual Harvard but if it says "Harvard Extension" anywhere on it, it might as well be toilet paper

If it doesn't, though, then I'll give the dude the benefit of the doubt

e: and come to think of it, even the degree wording wouldn't necessarily matter because, at least in my experience, most jobs want to see a transcript which gives it away immediately

it doesn't, a harvard extension school diploma is indistinguishable from an attended harvard normally diploma, it's pretty well known in cambridge and boston how this works but not elsewhere so if you want to run this scam be sure to apply outside of boston

that said yes anyone who thinks you went to the real thing is going to be mighty peeved and not really interested to hear how this wasn't actually lying you have the literal diploma you put on your resume you just got it a different way than everyone assumed :sun:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

infernal machines posted:

so with bfl it's a case of a some true believer fremen-on-the-lam going no, gently caress you dad to the court/ftc/receiver?

brilliant

bfl won

http://ia802308.us.archive.org/32/items/gov.uscourts.mowd.117531/gov.uscourts.mowd.117531.201.0.pdf

court denied preliminary injunction, will wind down the temporary recievership, and while bfl has to file weekly status reports and the FTCs lawsuit can go forward, the status reports won't be public and nothing will happen in the lawsuit until the FTC wins (if it wins)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

how you cock up a slam-dunk like this :psyduck:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

that is not the result i was expecting, what's the reason given?

basically the ftc didn't show it would win, and that even if they had the ftc's primary case was that bfl lied about delivery dates but since they're not taking preorders anymore theres no need for a reciever and an injunction just to protect customers

the ftc hosed up bad, they didn't do a good job explaining that bfl was actively lying, not just thinking it could meet deadlines, and they never remembered to tell the court that 'third party profitability calculator' was owned by bfl and pre-set to be deceptive :cripes:

also they should have been stressing the history of bfl's execs using the company as a piggybank and looting assets that should go to customers and they seem to have utterly fallen down on that point because that's a solid reason for an injunction

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Boxturret posted:

seriously star citizen could turn out to be the most amazing game of all time and it still wouldn't excuse them charging over ten thousand american dollars for about a dozen ships, most of which only existed as a single piece of concept art and none of which you could fly at the time

i disagree

when you can make someone part with $10k that easily you have a moral obligation to scam it out of them for a video game spaceship before someone else scams them out of it for something else

after all that money's going into the wrong hands somehow you might as well make sure it's hands that will just spend it on hookers and blow

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

im not sure once they're finished spending money on the lawyers trying not to break the law on this dumb scheme if there will be anything left of that 5m

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Wouldn't that be satoshidice?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

indigi posted:

when do the reward payouts actually happen? do people who find blocks that are eventually orphaned get anything out of it?

They get nothing, according to the official blockchain they never solved anything

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

poty posted:

dont worry im sure they take a huge commission that even those currency exchange booths at airports would consider too much. theyll sell your butts on the exchange for 310 bucks and give you 280. its funny because those places also claim to charge no fees*

This is how they should do it but they don't seem to be. Even in that situation though they are still exposed to market risk.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

you mean to say that bitcoin's value is being destroyed by inflation :ohdear:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

surebet posted:

with fair warning that i've yet to put any coffee in me, with the current price it's more like 42%, and i'd be interested in digging up how many miners bfl sent out just to drag that optimal efficiency way, way the gently caress down

basically the thing to remember is that if you assume that the miner dumping is causing the decline, then the price is going to get hosed and stay hosed because it's a feedback loop

miners dump coins to cover electricity costs, they're dumping more coins than the market can absorb so prices go down

which causes miners to need to dump more coins to cover electricity costs because the old number doesn't cover electricity anymore

so their dumping increases

and so even more bitcoins start flooding the market, and prices go down even faster

at some point you might have enough miners leave to slow the cycle or "cheap bitcoins" prompts the USD entering the market to increase but the former means the network gets hosed and everyone who would do the latter bought in long ago :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

only on paper, he doesn't really lose anything until he sells his coin for usd

he lost the entire purchase price the instant the government cashed the check

• Locked thread