Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

the police have a huge pile of techniques they use to find and prosecute criminals that they've built up over the years. some off hose criminals are very smart.

bitcoiners have become so conditioned to think that "but blockchain" means they will be different and that the cops won't be able to find them

it turns out that maybe the bitcoiners aren't as smart as they think they are

who knew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I'm the 5 app updates

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Dren posted:

"fbi how did you manage to follow him and keep track of his activities while he ran an enormous underground drug marketplace?"

"he was constantly tweeting his location!"

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

the onionchain

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

it's a long rear end read but meads v. meads is a great court judgement on this freeman on the land poo poo.

it's by a Canadian judge who had enough and wrote a blueprint on how to handle these cases that all Canadian jurisdictions could use. the basis of law he used also applies to nearly everywhere that these people live and it has been used as guidance in some US cases iirc

it's a big ol "this poo poo is dumb. you're wasting everyone's time. you're not allowed to do it anymore. gently caress off" judgement and it owns

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

they'd have to have enough evidence to get a grand jury to indict him before they can extradite

this is all hearsay for now and it won't be enough to implicate karpeles. if there was a legit dhs investigation he might already have immunity from whatever they found anyways

this is a hail mary and like most hail marys this probably won't be enough.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

this is a brilliant attempt by ulbricht's defense though. might as well as go all in if you're going to bet big

karpeles is definitely the hero bitcoin deserves though.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

killhamster posted:

it's me, i'm the jerk who mashes the fav button as fast as i can

same and/or agreed

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

goldmine

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Greyhawk posted:

usually when a drive fails an emergency drive called a spare hot fix will take over for the failed drive and will auto-mirror the parts that were on the failed drive

at that point you want to replace the failed drive but there's not an absolute IMMEDIATE need for it, you can probably get by for a while, because you would still need another two drives to fail until you're looking at data loss

in short: thermos hosed up bad

decent disk arrays will constantly monitor the health of all the disks and will preemptively fail a disk if it starts showing signs of going bad. the. it will call home to the vendor to open a ticket and get a replacement drive sent out.

it's nice to get an email saying "a drive failed, don't worry we're sending a replacement over right away" and then have a tech show up a couple of hours later to replace the drive.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

graph posted:

openmanage ?

NetApp autosupport

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

time to goldmine this thread and make a new bitcoin one i guess.

also hi sarah. i really enjoyed your coverage of the trial.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

the computer hacking charges might also apply because he was accessing the SR servers despite saying he did not own them. since no one claimed them, no one can give him authorization to access them. therefore he was "hacking"

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

it's funny how much his "those servers aren't mine" defense ended up helping the prosecution

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Are bookies taking bets on the length of Ross's sentence?

probably not because the sentencing guidelines for the kingpin rule are very rigid

he's getting life without parole and will probably end up segregated to prevent someone from trying to kill him in prison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

theflyingexecutive posted:

holy poo poo that hanzo guy on twitter is the worst. like he would get a check in a restaurant and immediately jump up and scream "DID YOU KNOW FRACTIONAL BANKING IS A LIE?????"

lol nah

that would require him to go outside and interact with people

• Locked thread