Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«17 »
  • Locked thread
trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

Invoking fairy dust is not a crime.

surebet posted:

"i don't understand how kyc works"
"not a bank!"
"we'll do free ach transfers without kyc"
"not a bank!"
"we don't need insurance or security, because we don't touch your butts, being the centralized ach emitter isn't an issue because eww fiat"
"not a bank!"

So, basically, they are just an escrow that also has a system to connect buyers to sellers. How very innovative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

ElectricMucus posted:

The vote brigading of the new BitCon Book on amazon is in full swing.

quote:

In fact, as I was reading the book, I sometimes got the feeling that the author did most of his research by spending time at Something Awful or in Reddit's r/Buttcoin forum. Which is sad because while Bitcoin's community is mostly a cultish echo-chamber these various Bitcoin trolling forums also suffer from that exactly that same problem.

drat, I am not being paid enough to troll if some dude can take my research and not pay me loyalties.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

the moral of the story is that they all died

One survived to tell a greatly exaggerated tale. Andreas, probably,

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

Verdafolio posted:

So does that mean all the people that got Bitcoin and dogecoin tips now all need to submit to AML and KYC compliance regulations?

No, just the companies that let you move around butts and butt-derivatives around.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

triple sulk posted:

I forgot that that bowl was going to be a thing

Soon it I'll be the Fincen St. Petersburg Bowl.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

[URO] A Real Long Term Currency: 1 Uro = 1 Metric Tonne Urea Fertilizer

quote:

What is URO coin?

Uro is the first cryptocurrency that is backed by a physical commodity Urea (revolutionary), first company to provide this service is GES currently where 1 Tonne of Urea will be exchanged for 1 URO, soon other companies will join in the revolution, its essentially like a bond.

Why use URO coin when we could use bitcoins?

Urea's price is volatile and depends on many factors and so is bitcoin, you cannot peg two volatile thing against each other, Uro is essentially a future bond, that you would always get 1 tonne of Urea for, its like how the government bank started with gold backing the dollar.

Why would these companies give you $300 worth of Urea for $6?

The company is not going to sell the URO coin at a loss, they will simply hold it, until the market catches up the price of Urea, which will not take much btc, and will happen as soon as news of URO coin spreads to importers/exporters

What are the advantages to using URO coin?

Urea cannot be stored, so you only buy as much as you need and cannot buy and store, URO changes that by allowing farmers to buy URO for the future.
Price of Urea can be a speculative market this allows traders to speculate on the price
Plenty of fees can be saved instead of doing bank transfers
No need to trust third party with future orders, any company who agree to the term will always accept 1 Uro for 1 tonne of Urea

Dev is associated Asiacoin scam?

Dev promoted the revived Asiacoin which is not a scam, however it would not have been his fault had he promoted the original asiacoin, we are all only human and cannot predict the future.

The thread for URO is 225 pages long.

trucutru fucked around with this message at Oct 30, 2014 around 13:21

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

prefect posted:

i thought the whole thing about cryptocurrency was that they're only backed by how many strawberries you dried out, not an actual physical commodity

Look, you buy one URO for six dollars. And then, when all the chemical fertilizer companies realize URO exists, they will trade you one ton of urea for your coin, which then you can sell for around $300. It's a guaranteed investment opportunity.

quote:

What if you look at this from another perspective. The whole idea of URO as i understood is to create an easier way of transacting between the producers and the users, avoiding speculated prices, large bank fees etc. When taking into account that UREA cannot be stored and needs to be ordered as required, the average cost is bigger than if you could purchase in bulk and creates an even better ground for speculation.
The $ involved in UREA is in millions, so bank fees and speculation prices are costing both sides (the producer and the user) huge amounts of $, we are talking $M here.
Idea of UREA is to avoid these as much as possible.
Question, why would a company take an order for $3.75m with URO that is worth 77K right now?
Well if you flip the coin to another side here:
How much would be saved in terms of $ fees + Speculation in this transaction by both parties?

When the 1st delivery happens and the word is going to spread, more orders are bound to happen.
This will result in increase of demand of URO. As this happens price will increase, maybe not to 0.5, but it will be increasing.
Farmers will want to stock up on URO as the price rises, since they will be saving $ too.
As the market finds its equilibrium the price will start to climb to its real value.
Even if this takes a year to acomplish, this is a hell of a good investment for a large multimillion company.
So you will invest around $3.75m, which if played right, will return savings of a few hundred thousand $ on every large order.
Now calculate how many orders would a multimillion company do in a year, then calculate how much they will save.
An investment of such proportions that can increase in value multiple times within a year and continue growing at this rate for years to come is a hell of a good one in my opinion.
This will be a closed loop that will save everyone a lot of $ and kick out the bank fees and speculation. I think this is quite revolutionary to be honest.
The above are just my thoughts on why a company would invest such an amount of $.
But i still agree that a delivery needs to happen on the 1st order before the price will explode again.

quote:

But its not speculation if they deliver on their order, the price is bound to go up, so its not a risk, its certainty

trucutru fucked around with this message at Oct 30, 2014 around 13:58

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

BobHoward posted:

i just wanted to highlight this, it's such a perfect example of a con man crafting an appeal to greed which simultaneously self-limits its audience to ignorant dumbfucks

Are you suggesting that these people might be stupid?

quote:

Can someone tell me if URO will go back up? Lips sealed Im 3 BTC down atm and its not looking good

quote:

I still have faith, just hope its all true, if we get a confirmation of urea being delivered, we rise in price, hopefully GES can make some exceptions or something for their first order to deliver early, that will destroy all fud.

quote:

Buy you don't get it when something is backed by a commodity it will always be worth the commodity.

quote:

Lets wait till https://twitter.com/CryptoCourtney tweets about her order, they pooled together 12,500, if they confirm delivery, then it can't be a corrupt business, but they have been very quite for the past few days.

(Those come from just 2 pages of that thread)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

I gave a brief glimpse to the alt-coins subforum in bitcointalk and it is as amazing as one would expect. But I am sorry to say that somebody beat D&D's resident punching bag Eripsa to the punch and developed synereo REVEAL!.

quote:

What makes RVL valuable?
Reveal Coin is the only way that advertisers will be able to purchase ads on Reveal. This means that our entire advertising revenue will be tied to these coins, and advertisers will have to buy these coins from whomever holds them (i.e., Reveal and our users). Our hope is that RVL becomes more valuable over time, as the network grows and demand from advertisers increases.

http://rvl.rvl.is/

A centralized bitcoin 2.0 social-network! And the developers are so generous that they'll only premine 77% of all the coins. And in true cryptocoin fashion they don't say anything about the app/network and instead concentrate 100% on the currency behind it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

quote:

How do you usually choose a money to invest in ?

quote:

Any sensible investor takes into consideration many factors including, cheapness or expensiveness of current price, the developers reputation and quality of their proposal and product, potential of any coin, long term proposal or just pump and dump (I won't judge cause both can make someone money) I personally look at the chart and see by gut reaction if it's a rising chart or not, volume is also important for various reasons, getting trapped in a low vol coin that looks attractive but isn't is bad news.....These are just some of the factors I'm sure people think about.

quote:

First thing you have to do in this crypto world, is to isolate the genuine coins from the shitcoins. This is not an easy task as 99% of alts are either shitcoins or scamcoins. Then you look at the devs past record, you do more research on the coin itself, don't just focus on the flashy website and fancy graphics on the ann page. Do your own research or get the info from somebody who does know what is going on, or finally just keep your money in BTC and LTC.

quote:

Considering all of this, I should buy when I hear about coins with a small marketcap and when I know enough to affirm that the dev' is good and there are good news upcoming soon.
Then, I sell on news.

I heard few times : buy on predictions, sell on news. Do you often apply this, considering that it's not a scamcoin ?

quote:

Thanks for all your awnsers, this is going to help me.

But now, let's take an actual topic : cannabisdarkcoin (CND)...

"I won't judge cause both can make someone money"
-Libertarians.txt

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

Move over Bruce, there is a new sheriff in town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hInK4jv_qA

trucutru fucked around with this message at Nov 1, 2014 around 07:36

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

From the tip4commit faq:

quote:

How can I remove my project from tip4commit?

Sorry, there is no such feature yet. Initially we thought that project owners have nothing to do with our project. Now there is a question.

If somebody wants to reward independent contributors of random opensource project, does he or she needs a permission from project maintainers? Should project maintainers have the power over economic activities of other people?

Lol.

-I don't want people to tip me.
-Stop limiting the economic activities of other people!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

mpyne 6 hours ago | link

Bitcoin is a scheme designed to create a deflationary store of value by wasting electrical energy, co-opted by a vast amount of people who really did look at it like "tulips" and who continue to operate today as if it's a pump-and-dump. You are certainly right to point out that there are a lot of Bitcoin developers and users who are not assholes and have good intentions, but Bitcoin is not the vehicle that's going to work for things like banking in undeveloped countries.
I'm honestly a bit surprised you brought that up, as even with the mining fees needed to pay off the Bitcoin network being subsidized by inflation of the money supply (which is apparently good when it's happening now in accordance with an algorithm that was certainly not determined by a centrali party, but won't be good in 20 years because ???), Bitcoin currently requires about $18 per transaction (https://blockchain.info/charts/cost-per-transaction). And the price is only that low because the value of Bitcoin in USD has been dropping steadily for months. If Bitcoin ever became as popular as its proponents hope then the per/tranx price will go up as well (until the entire network is burning through so much electrical power that more miners can't be brought online to compete in the Mine-a-Block lottery at the new, higher Bitcoin price).
Increasing the number of transactions will help, sure, but it's currently limited to ~7 per second, and although there are technical means of increasing that someday, the Bitcoin lead developer has indicated they probably wouldn't do that anyways (https://bitcoinfoundation.org/2014/...size-economics/) since then how will the poor miners make money?
And in a future where people actually have to bid their transaction fee high enough to be accepted by benevolent miners just to make it in the blockchain, how are the poor of Africa supposed to compete at all? I'm glad you're worried about them, but don't tie their fate to a network which is designed to be horribly inefficient just so people can say that no trusted third parties were ever utilized in a monetary transaction! Especially in this era of increasing centralization in Bitcoin itself; I don't see how those in Africa were their most-capable computing device is a mobile are supposed to compete with the mining pools and ASIC manufacturer/miners, all you'll have done is traded centralized protocols regulated by the public sector with centralized Bitcoin overseen by the profit-seeking private sector.
I'm not an expert on the wide field of crypto-currency but surely there must be something better out there.

FUUUUUDDDDD! Stop spreading FUD!

who pays you?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

quote:

If Bitcoin is Worthless, Then So is Oil

By Admin Tonewsto - Sunday, November 2, 2014

Detractors never went away from the Bitcoin market. The ‘see-I-told-you-its-a-fake-investment’ attitude arises almost the moment Bitcoin charts display negative volatile behavior. And amusingly, such sentiments are arising even now, at this very moment, when Bitcoin is hinting to hit another low, twice within a month.

But rather than blaming a fresh cryptocurrency whose adoption is in the infant stage, one must also focus on the US Dollar strength over the last 6-12 months against other leading trading assets, such as oil. Certainly no one would call the great ‘Crude Oil Brent’ a fake investment, or a Ponzi scheme. The fingers are only reserved to point towards a decentralized commodity-cum-currency Bitcoin. Look at these 6-month charts to have an in-depth analysis of both Bitcoin and Crude Oil rats against the US Dollar.
We can see how the USD is getting pumped against the two trading assets. Indeed, the scaling of both the charts are different but the core point here is that other commodities are losing their shine periodically. Oil, due to its wider adoption and applications, is still strong if compared to Bitcoin, whose adoption has just started to fruit results. Those who are trying their hopes with Bitcoin, just because it was overpriced sometime back, need to understand that the chances of its happening again simply depends on the strength of the USD.

In the meantime, Bitcoin growth rate is turning out to be exponential in the last few years. Around the launch of first Bitcoin exchange Mt. Gox in July 2010, the total amount of moved Bitcoins were recorded to be around 1 million. Now the number has increased to around 7.5 million. How could one possibly think that Bitcoin will be a worthless currency in the future, just because it is stumbling a bit due to technical reasons?
I think oil traders will agree with me on this.

To contact the reporter of the story: Yashu Gola at yashu@forexminute.com
With an upbringing rooted into deep ethical values, Yashu Gola knows how to put honesty and dedication into his articles. This young and dynamic financial analyst has done his graduation in IT enginee…

Source:forexminute.com

Bitcoins prize is down, and so is the price of oil. Therefore, them both the same.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

The Washington Times, ladies and gentlemen.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...digital-curran/

quote:

By Jennifer Pompi - The Washington Times - Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Instead of counting your Benjamins, you might be counting your Murrays, if the new digital currency that borrows the face of comedic legend Bill Murray takes off.

Descended form Bitcoin and Litecoin, Murraycoin is a “peer-to-peer currency enabling worldwide instant payments” that uses the likeness of Mr. Murray, according to the website. Like Bitcoin, Murraycoin is “opensource,” meaning the design is public, it is not “owned” or managed by anyone, and all are welcome. Users must download software to use Murraycoin, similar to Bitcoin.

Murraycoin was launched in January, and while Mr. Murray has not specifically objected to the use of his name or likeness, he has not endorsed the digital currency either. Brock Holzer, one of the lead programmers behind Murraycoin, said they have spoken with the person who oversees Mr. Murray’s foundation, Murray Bros. Foundation, and the charity though it was possible the star might be willing to get involved in some way, reported The Post and Courier.

“My thinking is whatever they feel comfortable doing,” Mr. Holzer told The Post and Courier. “It’s an open source project. I don’t own the company. I don’t own the coin. His involvement would definitely drive the value up.”
Why Bill Murray? Mr. Holzer and his investors think Murraycoin could be a great way to raise money for charities — like the Murray Bros. Foundation — and raise awareness about digital currency, reported The Post and Courier. Mr. Murray’s name recognition could help raise that awareness.

“I think a lot of people are still hesitant to get on board with the Bitcoin thing and alternative currency,” Brian Schmidt, a Murraycoin investor told The Post and Courier. “A lot of people haven’t heard of it. But a lot of people like Bill Murray and have heard of Bill Murray.”

Mr. Murray’s lack of endorsement has hampered growth of Murraycoin— one Murraycoin is worth less than five cents — but Mr. Schmidt and Mr. Holzer are hopeful if the digital currency will eventually be accepted as a form of payment, according to The Post and Courier.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

I just got a bitcoin ad in youtube. i have become one of them

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

Well, yeah, but semen tanks are actually useful.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

You forgot the best one (I was going to post that same thread, ypu rear end in a top hat)

quote:

Bitcoin is Apple Pay for people without iPhones.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

http://cointelegraph.com/news/11284...-to-stochastics

Here is our 1-year Daily chart still referencing Fibonacci Retracements and a few Trend Lines broken back in July:

Conclusion

We have now turned Bearish across all time frames. Until proven otherwise any bounce is expected to just be new lower high until we can get back above US$420. What we thought was a nice positive move on amazing volume a month ago that took us from US$275 to US$420 was not enough to get the masses on board. A reasonable bounce to $340 is very possible but we are now looking for prices to reach low US$300’s and if that support goes, there is not much holding it up until we match 2014 lows in the US$265-275 zone.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

MGN001 posted:

And then it turns out the fridge ordered the wrong kind of milk, so you kick it out of the house. Then it goes "gently caress you, dad" and puts an order for an automatic drone hit.

Wasn't there a comic with replicator appliances that would dope themselves? That's the kind of future I'm expecting. Didn't tip your oven enough? watch out for fireballs.

fake-edit: I remembered, it was transmetropolitan.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

I'm the DDoS coin.

Want to send an email? Sorry, you don't have enough email coin.
Ran out of disk space, insert storage coin.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

Also, libertarians would love radioactive money, it is inherently deflationary.

Holy lol, I just noticed the "gold is useless enough". They are such hacks.

trucutru fucked around with this message at Nov 4, 2014 around 07:16

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

So, today's fellate Andreas thread is not that great but there are a few decent quotes.

Wikipedia page for Andreas Antonopoulos nominated for deletion. (en.wikipedia.org)

quote:

[–]andreasma 226 points 4 hours ago

I agree with Wikipedia. I objected to the original idea to write an article about me, as I don't think I am "notable" in any sense of the word. All the article does is give trolls a public place to play out their petty battles and vandalism. I'd rather it was deleted.

[–]shadearg 17 points an hour ago

You are like the Neil deGrasse Tyson of Bitcoin. People want to hear your explanation of how the technology works, how it's evolving, and to address their concerns and misconceptions. You will be a footnote in the early history of Bitcoin at the very least, and future generations will want to know about that guy. It's only a matter of time.

[–]bruce_fenton 68 points 3 hours ago

I'd most respectfully disagree - you are notable because you have a gift for speaking about this technology and a voice that reaches people like no other. You've written an important book and are a great teacher, your Canadian Senate testimony was outstanding. There are people far less notable on Wikipedia -but I completely respect your opinion of course.
etc, etc.

quote:

[–]ztsmart 42 points 3 hours ago

His personal opinion is completely irrelevant here. Whether an article should stand or not is absolutely independent of the opinion of the person that is the subject of the article.

[–]goocy 4 points 3 hours ago

The article's relevance comes from public interest. Andreas is part of the public. Hence, his opinion is at least infinitesimally relevant here.

quote:

x403 1 point 2 hours ago

Hey look, it's the reason I don't donate to Wikipedia. I love their site, and use it all the time, but the leadership is always on such a power trip, and the way they play politics with article deletion is despicable
Libertarian.txt

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

A preview of the wink twins oratorial prowess

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/wink...LdGsFEU84w.html

I really, really want to listen to their money2020 presentation.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

You know, if I were Andreas I would be a liiiitle creeped out about my fan base.

In the thread about the winkboys

quote:

You know I can't help but agree with this. These guys are no doubt "true proponents" of bitcoin and believers. They get the technology. I think the amount of mockery they get is almost unfair. They're working their asses off (it seems) to do their part in taking bitcoin mainstream. This is not some pump&dump or long-con or them jumping behind 50 new techs and seeing what sticks. They're firmly behind bitcoin.

Now - the fact that they have funny names, and were shown as rich kid buffoons in a movie, and don't have the oratory skills of Andreas is not a valid reason to heap horseshit onto their obvious hard work and efforts.

No they're not our typical image of a "gently caress the government! gently caress the IRS!" libertarians, nor are they crypo-dev-tech-whizkids.. but so what? Give these guys a break. Believe me, they're not conspiring to push a fake ETF in hopes of making a few bucks from /r/bitcoin. They're putting time, money, effort and resources into bitcoin. Hell - the proposed ETF is called COIN and not "WinkBit" or some poo poo. A little slack, please?

Yeah, the king of France? He may not be typical image of a libertarian, but he is in favor of bitcoin. Give him a break.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

I dunno, I'd really like to hear every goon's opinion on if/why it is preferable to traditional (FIAT) methods of transportation

plz have your opinions be no less than 300 words and filled with meandering anecdotes about your life

Today my colleague and myself had an amazing experience which I like to share here about the potential of Bitcoin in Africa. We went to Uganda on a business trip and asked the taxi driver if he had heard about Bitcoin.

To our amazement he knew everything about it. And not only that. He also accepted it as payment for our drive from the airport to the hotel.

When we started the journey we wanted to make the payment to make sure he was serious but our phone didnt connect to the data network.

Again he said no problem. You can connect to my hotspot for $5 during your trip. We connected to his hotspot. Made all the payments in bitcoin and had a great internet connection during our 1 hour ride.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

Thesoro posted:

lmao at all the silkroaders meekly asking if their drug dealers are going to fulfill orders placed on a site that's been seized by the loving FBI

i'm sure they'll get right on that jesus christ

They have to fulfill their contract!

Anyways, I can't believe that I have been laughing at butts for so many years and the well is still not dry.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

So reddit is still in the middle of a TIPPING frenzy but there are a couple of threads about the silk road issue... which quickly devolve into "how would I have done it" masturbation.

quote:

Definitely amateur hour. I've spent a lot of time daydreaming about what it would take to protect and counter a situation like this. It honestly seems like most of these guys put zero thought into "what if" or maybe they do and they get complacent over time.

quote:

I think the admins laptop also need a psychical self destruct mechanism if its moved unexpectedly. It could be done with a couple bags of fluid that turn caustic when mixed together. Its an anti-theft mechanism officer. You should have warned me you'd grab it! I'm so sorry

quote:

I had toyed with the idea of a system that encrypts the whole drive, except a small bootable partition which prompts the user for a password, sends that password securely over Tor to a remote machine which then responds with the decryption key for the drive.

If the key is not successfully retreived periodically, the remote machine destroys the key.

That way, if a third party seizes your machine, but can't locate the key server, it self-destructs in a way they can't prevent.

I've never been paranoid/bored/free enough to actually implement this, though.

quote:

I toured an FBI contractor's lab in SLC and they said that this happens. They had a safe room for disassembling desktops or whatever. They occassionally got booby-trapped boxes. Some traps were intended not just to destroy the data, but also to harm whoever was tampering with the case. Razor blades tainted with disease tied to small explosives, bags of fecal matter also rigged to blow, etc.

Could have been folklore, but I believe.

quote:

I always daydream about that stuff too. I even drew up a prototype for a server with electro magnets attached to the HDDs that would power if the server was moved or unplugged or door opened or a kill switch was depressed. That and running the server via wifi through a series of repeaters so the physical address supplying the internet didn't house they server.

My only experience with magnets and computers was finding a several pound horse shoe magnet at my uncles and looking for the closeset metal surface I could find which was his windows 3.1 desktop, it didn't end well. I guess things have changed. Thermite or a recip saw would cut them in half in a matter of seconds, something about thermite scares me.

quote:

I like the electromagnet idea! An old radio shack bulk tape eraser could probably flip some bits around nicely.

Seems complicated. How about a hidden encrypted drive which no one can prove exists? If the computer is idle for two minutes or the laptop is closed, you're logged out.

Anyways, the thread also has this:

quote:

I used to work with Blake at one of my previous companies. This is pretty surprising to those of us from work who knew him. Here's what I can say about him:

Frankly, this all seems out of character for Blake. While he did have a "hacker mentality" and tried to show off his dev skills here and there, he never came across as the type who would use his talents for illegal activities. That said, he definitely had the know-how to try it (I guess not successfully).

I always thought he was religious. He grew up with a family that took religion seriously. It's very apparent in his music (see next bullet).

He liked to make music (pianist). He'd be in the studio a lot and would always talk about the album he wanted to release. Here's his SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/blakeeb

He was homeschooled in Texas growing up and I met his parents once at a company event when they were in SF visiting. They are incredibly nice people who, from my understanding, care very much about him.

He was a talented developer. Solid rails skills and he would pick up new concepts quickly.

Given all of the above, Blake was a terrible team player at work. He didn't do well when he was asked to pair program with other devs and he wouldn't listen to the our requests to try and follow some standard procedures and do a better job at communicating.

He'd show up to work at random hours and he'd never communicate to us if he'd be coming in or not. His time management was incredibly poor. Part of this is due to his extra curricular activities, such as going to the studio to record music. All that said, there was no evidence at the time of his employment with us that he had participated in any illegal activities (also the time frame at this job definitely did not coincide with the alleged dates listed for Silk Road 2).

He left the company later on. He was simply too much of a "renegade" in his work style. It was sad to see him go (despite not being a great coworker, he was always a pleasant person) and he was actually surprised by it.

He's a small guy physically. If he does end up going to prison I really can't imagine him doing well there... but I suppose that all depends on what kind of prison this type of sentencing will get him.

talented developer, terrible team player, show up to work at random hours and he'd never communicate. So, basically, just your regular programmer.

To be honest, his music is much better than dank's.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

I wonder if various subreddits preemptively ban the changetip bot to keep the bitcoin spam away.

quote:

I was banned for tipping in /EarthPorn (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 hours ago by coincrazyy

you've been banned subreddit message via /r/EarthPorn/ sent 43 minutes ago you have been banned from posting to /r/EarthPorn: EarthPorn: Mother Nature in all of her succulent beauty..

But, apparently, they still don't ban the bot.

Anyways, there is a dude running around spamming 1 satoshi tips all over r/bitcoin and I honestly don't know if he's trolling or not.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

Magrov posted:

In spite of my loss I feel I have gained.

This is pretty much bitcoin's mantra.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

I'm writing a persuasive speech on Bitcoin, and I'd like to run some ideas past the community. (self.Bitcoin)

quote:

Hello /r/Bitcoin! I'm working on a persuasive speech for my Intro Speech class, and thought Bitcoin would be a good topic. My main goal is to spread the use of Bitcoin to my peers. We are using Monroe's Motivated Sequence. This is and intro class, and is only about 6 minutes long, so I don't need to get crazy technical. I want to run some ideas by the community to make sure I'm spreading adoption in the right way, and have all my facts straight; some ideas wouldn't hurt either Here are my ideas currently:

For attention, I'm going to give a couple example stories of how Bitcoin could benefit someone. I'm aiming for common nuances that affect everyday people, as most college kids in the US don't have major issues with their bank. Here are a couple I thought of:

You're driving down the highway far away from home, and run out of gas. So you go to the gas station, and put in your card, but it keeps getting rejected. You're stranded away from home, with no access to your money.

A store you frequent recently had customer credit card information stolen. The number of affected people is in the 10,000's, and there are more reports every day. You look in your bank account, and notice fraudulent charges.

You're out to eat with some friends, and decided to split the bill. When the bill comes, you check your wallet, and realize you have no cash. There's no ATM around, and you need to get your friend money to pay for food.

I might also try and get some statistics, but I'm not sure exactly what would hit home to this audience.

I'm a little stuck right now on relating this to the needs of the audience (age 18-25 college students). My audience analysis showed not many have experience identity theft, or frozen bank funds, so I'll need to be creative here. Maybe preventative measures. There is a musician (edm type stuff posted to soundcloud) in the class, and a farmer with his own hay business, so I might target them a little more than others.

Satisfaction - well the solution will obviously be Bitcoin. Taking the trust out of money transactions. With bitcoin, you are the sole owner of your money. You can send money anywhere, to anyone, any time of the day, and it costs almost nothing.

Visualization will be a world without banks. Everyone is free to spend their money how they want, when they want. No more waiting for Monday morning for bank transfers, no more frozen funds. Free and open commerce for everyone. Opposite to that, without bitcoin, all of our money is regulated, and stuck in the bank. There's centralization, so the banks control your money; you can only hope they will hold up their end and funds will be in your account tomorrow.

We need to use a visual aid, and have an action step with concrete steps someone can take to help. I plan on using the blockchain as a visual aid, and showing incoming transactions, as well as transferring money to an address to show how fast transactions work.
For the action step, I plan on printing enough paper wallets for everyone. I'll use a sealed envelope, print the public address on the outside, and have the private key on the inside (along with steps on how to collect the funds, and how to make a new wallet as they can't verify it's the only copy of the private address). Then anyone that wants to participate, I'll transfer 1000 bits or so (enough money for them to get the hang of sending/receiving) into the wallet and give it to them, and show the transaction on the blockchain. I doubt many people will take them, but I'm hoping for one or two.

Any help is appreciated. I know asking for help on this stuff might be looked down upon, but I want to make sure I'm giving good information, and helping to spread adoption in the right way. Students and younger people are great to appeal to IMO.

You're driving in the middle of nowhere, run out of gas, have no cash, your cards get rejected, a Colombian kid mugs you, there is no ATM but, luckily the gas station takes bitcoin!

quote:

A better example: Imagine you are traveling abroad and all your money is stolen. You call mum at home to send you more. She sends 500$. You are picking it up at Western union and receive 480$. If she would send you bitcoin, you get 499.90$.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

It’s all over: Bitcoin miner maker to auction remaining assets

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...maining-assets/

quote:

A federal bankruptcy judge has approved the auction of nearly all of HashFast’s remaining assets, putting the company out of business for good. According to court records, HashFast owes over $40 million to creditors primarily in the United States, but also to some customers in Europe, Russia, India, New Zealand, Australia, and Canada.

Man, BFL is hosed... wait HashFast? I guess they didn't have somebody like Inaba on board because this is the first time I've heard of them.

quote:

In May 2014, HashFast famously declared "we are not scammers." Days later, CEO Eduardo deCastro told Ars during an interview: "We are as poor as church mice."

Bitcoin!

trucutru fucked around with this message at Nov 9, 2014 around 00:20

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

^^^^ gently caress.

TVarmy posted:

what a big faux pas. you don't tip the bereaved, you tip the dead so they can tip the boatman after they've been goxxed off the mortal coil (the blockchain of mortal souls mined by the fates).

Everybody knows that to pay Charon you stick a rolled-up paper wallet up the nose of the dead person.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

Rats? -My grandma would say- let me call the exterminator.

She was a much better libertarian.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

New on r/bitcoin: pretend that a tip got you into bitcoin, collect 20 bucks (in fake money)

quote:

I got a $1 donation with Reddit and a link to this place... is this real money?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/com...a_link_to_this/

That dude is just spoonfeeding them what they want to hear and they are trampling over each other to teach him about bitcoin.

Basically, it's "woah, what just happened here?" but in reverse.

The dude is getting quite an education.

quote:

It's brilliantly designed Money. The characteristics that makes "stuff" become "Money" in human cultures are:

(1) It must be durable, which is why we don’t use wheat or corn or rice.

(2) It must be divisible, which is why we don’t use art work.

(3) It must be convenient, which is why we don’t use lead or copper.

(4) It must be consistent, which is why we don’t use real estate.

(5) It must possess value in itself, which is why we don’t use paper.

(6) It must be limited in the quantity that is available, which is why we don’t use aluminum or iron.

(7) It should have a long history of acceptance, which is why we don’t use molybdenum or rhodium.

Only GOLD and SILVER fit all seven characteristics. Bitcoin is designed to excell in all 7. The amazing thing is that Bitcoin has the scarcity of gold but without physical MASS, so we can transfer ownership of bitcoins via the internet across fiber optic cables, wifi, radio, etc.

Which is why we don't use paper for money.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

Heresiarch posted:

oddly enough the best explanation i've found about gg is the rationalwiki article since it doesn't feel the need to be "fair" or something

Ok, let me go read that explanation... err, sorry, I have things to do today.

... like read r/bitcoin!

Talking about games, flappy bird + butts, a perfect combination:

http://vimeo.com/109452429

that's not trying to spy on you, no sir.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

Yes, indeed, tobacco is indeed a better currency than bank notes.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

So, a day or so ago there was a guy pretending he didn't know poo poo about bitcoin in a reddit thread called "Is this real money?" or such, which I crossposted here.

And today we have:

quote:

Is this real money? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 26 minutes ago * by nahhhnnnyyy

PLEASE DON'T TIP ME: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/co...l_money/clymmjb - Sorry if I sound like Im begging

A person "tipped" me 1 dollar over Youtube and referred me here when I asked the question above. They also showed me a video on weusecoins.com

I read the sidebar and stuff but it says "Bitcoin is the currency of the internet". So, is it real money or just fake like an in-game currency?

What is a wallet? Well I know what a wallet is but what is a wallet in the context of bitcoin?

Is this a scam?

quote:

[–]dstanchfield 12 points 23 minutes ago

It is very real. Here is some more to help start your journey. 50000 bits

quote:

[–]nahhhnnnyyy[S] 5 points 22 minutes ago

What is that thing at the end? I clicked the link and it goes to another user

EDIT: I'm clicking collect right now to see what it is

EDIT, again: DID YOU JUST GIVE ME 18 DOLLARS OVER REDDIT?

quote:

[–]dstanchfield 5 points 13 minutes ago

Yup! Pretty amazing how that is even possible, huh. Welcome to the magical world of bitcoin.

Stroking the egos of these dumbasses is a good way to get some fake change. Now they only have to give all their personal or bank information to some shady enterprise and get their 20 bucks.

quote:

ParsnipCommander 1 point 24 minutes ago

Wow I have witnessed true selfless glory today, such an inspiration.

Have a big bear huge /u/changetip

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

Boxturret posted:

i asked in another thread and apparently it's some random thing based on utc and your user id i think

Wait, wait, you don't get Cosby goodness on a regular basis at Yospos? Ahaha, you losers obviously don't know about yostip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

Sometime ago...

quote:

OKCoin Tops World BTC/USD 24-Hour Trade Volumes For First Time

Because

http://www.coindesk.com/asian-excha...futures-trades/

quote:

Asian Exchanges Adopt Controversial Counting Method For Futures Trades

OKCoin, Tackett wrote, had noticed competitors 796.com and BitVC (a subsidiary of Huobi) were employing a counting method that regards a single bitcoin traded as two units: one bought and one sold.

In doing so, OKCoin's 24-hour high volume that week leaped instantly from 300,000 BTC to 600,000 BTC. The company did not retroactively alter historic trading data before that date.

• Locked thread
«17 »