Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

did anyone mine the 'theymos lost all the bitcointalk forums upgrade fund on just-dice' vein and it's neighbor the 'theymos is paying four developers his friend a front probably no one like 1.2 mil to write new forums scheduled to be out in 2019' vein yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

QuarkJets posted:

Factorization was actually the first quantum algorithm to be solved, so yeah, I think it's really feasible

nobody is even close to building the hardware that can run those algorithms (except the nsa probably and also maybe the chinese security apparatus)

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

anthonypants posted:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/12/bitcoin-boy-erik-finman.html there are so many great (read: bad, horrible, terrible, disgusting) things in this article please read all of them thank you

Arriving back at the O2 arena, Erik received his name tag, which read, as he’d requested: WHITE KANYE WEST.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

A rating system like in the decentralized free markets would pretty much solve that problem. If you are a women, just choose drivers with excellent rating and a long history of successful drives. These guys here explain it in more detail in their white paper: http://quicksilvercoin.co/

who wants to fund my new startup? it's threatening to claim goober drivers assaulted me in order to extort them as a service

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

text editor posted:

Dear Diary: Today I paid for the murder of 4 men

fun fact: the 'associates' were the dudes wife and two kids

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Powershift posted:

This is someone cutting their losses. probably the winklevi considering their announcment that they spent millions on bitcoins came around the time bitcoin was at the top of the $266 bubble.

the winklevii are morons but they probably get good financial advice given they were born into money. i wouldn't be suprised if they were the bearwhale and they're trying to slowly cash out given their other cash out plan (the ETF) seems to be stalled

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

As a Millennial I posted:

what the hell's going on with the dpr trial today? haven't heard poo poo

they're taking a mental health day

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

i'm 35 and me and my girlfriend watch youtubers play minecraft instead of watching real tv. docm, vintagebeef and etho are her favorites but i like generikb, bdouble0 and xisumavoid. sometimes we argue about it

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

quote:

This was worse than the worst outcome I thought was possible. 

this is better than the best summation of bitcoin i thought was possible

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

Maybe it is me not being a programmer but what is the reason for the seeming obsession with rewriting poo poo in new languages when it already works fine?

seems like it would be a recipe for introducing new and un-wiki-documented bugs.

sometimes the other guy named his variables all wrong or used the wrong brace style or sucks at twitter

really though i think it's because porting or reimplementing code is vastly simpler than writing code that does new interesting things. writing brand new things i often have full days where i write zero lines of useable code whereas doing ports or rewrites it's no big deal to bang out hundreds or thousands of lines

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

if they're not back in an hour or two it's probably bad news

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

restingwitchface posted:

The closing statement shook my firm belief in what I thought would be the outcome. It didn't make me think they'd acquit, it just made me less certain of it being a clean sweep. In any case, there's actually an issue with venue re: the hacking charge that I think is very interesting! But I don't think I'll write it up, because it's probably not really actually interesting to anyone but me.

you would be shocked at what we find interesting. one of our foundational myths is about a cell phone vibrating off the arm of a chair

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Nagato posted:

lol that part was great

people will remember this stuff in 50 years the way we remember Heinlein

as weird hypersexual fascist propaganda?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

i just found a robocoin machine in the wild. there's a middle aged woman sleeping at a table next to it

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Tipps posted:

The bitcoin ATM in Vancouver is/was running with CAVirtex, and the owner of the coffee shop it's in is a balls-deep bitcoiner who hosts weekly bitcoin meetups in there and everything.

I look forward to seeing how they will react to this. :allears:

there's a wavves in richmond with a bitcoin atm too but i don't think it's run by bitcoiniacs. does that mean there's two wavves owners in the lower mainland who are insane?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

afaict he's an american in kenya

it would make a lot more sense if he was a kenyan in america

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

jre posted:

:laffo: loving mongo db

they've got a murderer's row of technologies you couldn't pay me enough to work with going on there

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

where did Carl "Mark" Force IV get all his bitcoins? Bridges straight up stole his from the silk road (and probably MtGox) but did CMFIV just get his from extortion, "murder" for hire and selling insider info to DPR? Did Bridges cut him in on the theft from the mod account he controlled?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

big scary monsters posted:

inigo was one of the few silk road mods who wasn't an undercover agent i think, might have turned informant at some point though

he's the guy who hacked the silk road as an audition to be dpr's right hand man and also the guy who was looking into buying a helicopter tour operator in case he needed to rescue dpr from the feds. any day now

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Tipps posted:

every time i walk by there, there's always Bitcoiniacs meetings going on in the back room where like 80% of the attendees are young pretty Chinese girls. I don't know if they're paid to be there and look pretty so as to draw in new people or what (or maybe they are sales reps from mainland Chinese gold farms trying to raise VC) but it's very weird to see - considering the other attendees are -looking.

admitedly, i'm way too asperg and goony to actually go in there and play with the atm. someone might talk to me and i just wouldnt be able to handle that.

i think they work for bitcoiniacs. the waves on 3 road has a bitcoiniacs atm and there's always a couple young asian girls at the table closest to it ready to talk about bitcoin with anyone who gets close to the machine

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

this probably belongs in the tech bubble thread but i interviewed at the company that runs fetlife. they wanted a basically complete rewrite of a code base no one understood. they offered $55k canadian. a couple weeks after i turned them down they fired their lead developer and offered me his job (at $70k)

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

i just saw a dude use the bitcoin atm in the waves in richmond, bc for the first time ever. i probably spend 10+ hours a week in this place. he's wearing pinstripe pants

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

the jeff garza saga is way too complex. how on earth did he convince anyone to give him anything?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

21s business model is hilarious

like i guess they think giving the gift of bitcoin to the masses will stimulate an economy and drive up demand?

what will actually happen is 21 will have to sell bitcoins constantly to fund opex. their customers will likewise sell asap so they don't get hit by declining prices

someone is gonna make a killing on their exchange fees tho

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

was roger 'boom' ver xrp or xrp ii?

theflyingorc posted:

so wait, roger ver claims to be smart, but he invested in paycoin, the most obvious of all bitcoin scams?

wrong scam. xrp is ripple, paycoin is xpy

the talent deficit fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 6, 2015

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

im sure that there will be no consequences for Vorhees for his money laundering website

he's already living in exile because of his involvement with satoshidice

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

maybe I'm part of the problem, but tbh if someone said "let's create a prediction market/betting site for all these random startups" my thoughts would go to gambling laws, but not securities ones. I mean, I understand and agree once it's been explained, but I can also imagine myself having that blind spot.

i think the sec has jurisdiction historically because of bucket shops mostly. they were gambling but presented as brokerages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

yeah, i was sure i read something saying that'd he'd snuck back in and was hiding out, but maybe I've mixed it up with one of the other idiots.

i think he was living there before he was rejected. that was part of his rejection, they didn't believe he'd actually made residential ties in japan or st kitts and was re-entering the USA on false pretenses ("going to a trade show" when really he was going back home to san jose).

Pocket posted:

i imagine canadian border being a somewhat porous with the correct skills given the terrain but ol' roger doesn't have those and he isn't getting easy entry into canada to start with.

the correct skill is being able to walk. knowing roger he'd manage to gently caress up entering canada tho

• Locked thread