Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol a 200gh/s miner will save you $30 a month (maximum) in heating costs for the low low upfront investment of one thousand dollars

what dumbass in any place where it gets cold cold for more than a week or so is heating with electric anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dren posted:

silk road might be doomed to happen over and over again

all it takes is one idiot with enough ego, enough arrogance, and the technical skill to set up a webserver and put it on tor

part of that arrogance requires being such a true believer in the magical power of crypto that you don't realize that police can nail your rear end just by regular investigative techniques.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah I used Google and found some

post them such that we may throw pennies at you as tips.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I wonder if various subreddits preemptively ban the changetip bot to keep the bitcoin spam away.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

i think also if you have reddit gold you can set it up to alert you whenever someone mentions your username in a post. that's how the changetip bot knows where the posts invoking it are.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Soricidus posted:

this is the best proof that advertisers are extremely good at persuading people to act against their own best interests

And advertiser's first job is advertising their own services.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

You just know that developing for thermos would be hell. feature creep and completely arbitrary functionality integrated in nonsensical ways with no grasp of just how insane the ideas are. A stream of consciousness straight from am idea guy.

but for $300k a year...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FMguru posted:

its impressive that even at the very beginning of bitcoin the community was overrun by on-the-make pedophiles

the only reason bitcoin rose to prominence was the flood of pedos and online drug people desperately seeking a replacement for e-gold after it got shutdown by the Feds in 2009

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I am fairly sure that is already in the wiki

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

https://cdn.panteracapital.com/wp-content/uploads/Pantera-Bitcoin-Letter-December-2014.pdf
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20141202005799/en/ChangeTip-Raises-3.5M-Global-Social-Media-P2P#.VH3vQ8k-dO0
ChangeTip, the popular social media tipping platform, announced today that it has raised a $3.5 million Seed Round. Bitcoin investment firm Pantera Capital is leading the round, with participation from Bold Start Ventures, DCG, CryptoCurrency Partners, 500 Startups, and others. This latest round of funding will be allocated towards product enhancement, platform engineering development, and user acquisition.

twitter really needs to lock down their api and charge for commercial use. they won't of course because they are idiots but still they really should.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

what the gently caress is a cryptoanarchist?

or do I not want to know?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm having a hard time deciding which would be more amusing:

someone hacked bitstamp and drained 18k butts

or

bitstamp's software hosed up and sent 18k butts to an address they don't know the key to.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

surebet posted:

it doesn't matter how many cows die to make these burgers anyway, they're a renewable thus intrinsically worthless resource, and the co2 emission of said cows per successfully made burger is a worthless metric because there's no tangible link between the burger making people and the burger eating people, duh

also only a small number of the customers are the intended kids who are hungry and will eat the burger. the vast majority of the clientele are people with giant sacks of happy kiddie burger meals which they have bought for the "collectable" toys.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the technical flaws will kill it first, but they'll be doing buttcoin 2.0 or whatever to address those specific problems and then either the rampant deflationary cycles or the energy costs from doing unnecessary redundant hashing will kill that and then they'll fix one of those two and buttcoin 3.0 will be born and it will die from whatever other latent issues they chose to not address because the whole thing is designed and run by myopic nerds

basically the thing that will kill bitcoin is bitcoiners being involved.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

it makes me a bit sad that the "accidentally sent the butts to an address nobody has the key to" bitstamp possibility didn't pan out.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

The point of BB is to trick you into sympathizing with a bad person. Walt gets given a lot of chances to exit but bever does because he's a prideful, arrogant and spiteful motherfucker who ultimately wants the path he chooses, no matter how much it hurts the people around him. The down-in-his-luck everyman who has cancer presentation of Season 1 is a trick to make you complacent about the ever more hosed up behaviour he demonstrates.

or like a lot of series they just winged it on the first season and when things took off and the network ordered the next season they didn't have any overarching plot planned out or even know how long it would last. so in an effort to find some way to keep it interesting they just kept throwing poo poo at the story without any real long term consideration for foreshadowing or internal consistency. sometimes it works (BB), sometimes it gets away from them (Lost), and sometimes it just becomes incomprehensible as they scramble to answer everything (Battlestar Galactica).

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

theflyingorc posted:

Not that I'm condoning, but isn't that cartoon thing completely not true? Wasn't it a one time thing in Australia or something?

the only times i've heard about it it was a few "can you believe this guy is being prosecuted for this?" stories but every time i dug down into the cases it turned out the nerd rage article didn't bother to mention the 1200 other actual real life cp images/videos found. i have to imagine that stuff like the rule 34 website would have been shut down or blocked long ago if it were treated the same as cp.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FCKGW posted:

Yes, a Ford Explorer. His dream was to acquire one of the most unreliable cars of the mid-90s.

mid 90s domestic cars were impressively bad.

like bitcoin.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

whatever happened to the guy who was trying to sell 99.9% pure silver bars by melting down scrap silver jewelry (including sterling silver and even some nickel silver bits) and adding a handful of 99.99% silver shot?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

trucutru posted:

Because he didn't want to pay taxes.

So, when he wanted to visit the US, US immigration kindly reminded him to pay his taxes before they could process his visa... so he did! Then they kindly told him to gently caress off.

always is funny watching libertarians slam headfirst into the concept that just because the government may do something doesn't mean that they are required to do so. it conflicts with their idea of government agents being beep-boop mindless robots.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

buying a speculative and intensely volatile "asset" on margin is just so incredibly stupid.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

"Why will Bitcoin be different than Esperanto or the Dvorak keyboard (i.e. seemingly useful but never widely adopted)?"

going strangely unanswered

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

it is amusing that /r/bitcoin-ers get really grumpy about their "tips" being downvoted to hell and back or the bot being straight up banned in other subreddits when they told people not to discuss dogecoin in /r/bitcoin because they have their own dogecoin subreddit.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ha well he's truly hosed now.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

CapnAndy posted:

Did his defense team know about that journal? Every time they throw up a hail mary it's right there going HAHA NOPE.

but there are so loving many pages of the journals, logs, and other files that unless you have a massive (perhaps government backed) team it is quite easy to miss something in them.

like the lady said there is enough to make a little fort out of if you printed them all.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Powershift posted:

Even if they picked 10 of the 30,000 pages at random, they would get at least 3 admissions of a crime.

ah but he was asking why the defense keeps loving up. for the prosecution this is a turkey shoot.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

text editor posted:

what kind of deal could ross even have gotten once they saw the laptop's contents?

poo poo's a slam dunk

the plea deal would have been pretty one sided but I'm sure one was offered. the prosecutors would definitely rather take a guilty plea for 20 years than have to spend months and months of man hours taking the case through trial. that's time they could have spent working on other cases.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I wonder if they will lock bitpay out of their exchange api.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

indigi posted:

yeah I'm pretty sure you can blame a guy when the job requires the immoral behavior of an unrepentant scumbag

no. everyone deserves to be vigorously represented in court. even the most blatantly guilty have the right to council. the attorney can advise all they want but it is ultimately the client's decision how to proceed and the attorney must respect it (unless they feel it isn't being made by someone in a proper mental state).

it is very likely that this attorney told Ross something along the lines of "you are royally hosed if this goes to trial. i will try as best I'm able to find some way to instill reasonable doubt but it is one hell of a long shot." I have to imagine that the karples did it defense is the brainchild of Ross and the attorney was unable to talk him out of it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Phuzzy posted:

The thing is a bridge that uses the hot power of a UPS to either back-load a power strip or clip directly over and connect power to the plug on a wall outlet.

To be fair it's a very fancy male-to-male power cable rig but with better customer support and also hopefully less likely to electrocute you since it's clear you've got hot plugs swinging around once it's engaged.

it is a bit more fancy than that. the hotplug thing is acting like the backup circuitry of a ups and monitoring the voltage it sees on the output. as soon as the voltage drops for a prescribed amount of time (likely less than a cycle) it starts outputting to keep everything powered. the computer sees a small dropout of 1/120s or so but power supplies can handle that without trouble.

that same circuitry changes the phase of the power supplied to match the hotplug input. otherwise you could have very bad things happen when you plugged the plug into the ups (the users manual has all sorts of warning about not plugging the plug it back into the wall). if you tried to use a simple male to male plug you could easily end up with a 240v dead short if you accidentally had the ups plugged into a wall outlet on a different circuit breaker.

funny thing is that their fancy over the plug thing only works with the plug style we use in the us. other countries are smart enough to have plugs which don't expose the hot conductors until the plug has been pulled out far enough to disconnect them.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

bitcoin.vba

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Maybe it is me not being a programmer but what is the reason for the seeming obsession with rewriting poo poo in new languages when it already works fine?

seems like it would be a recipe for introducing new and un-wiki-documented bugs.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ursine Asylum posted:

maybe, maybe not, i really doubt there's a "coffeeshop tier" of internet for every mom and pop shop that has paid wifi

Yes there is. If you are commercial you'll be paying for "business" internet. The difference is usually priority support and prioritized routing over other traffic on their network so your business will still be able to pull the whopping 7/1 that you pay $130/month for even if the residents in the city are having congestion problems as they all try to watch let's plays on youtube at the same time.

Most high speed providers each the address as commercial or residential and won't install "residential" service at a commercial location.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Weatherman posted:

eh, new hampshire's bloated legislature is full of those free state mongoloids so it's not a happening as such

it got referred to a committee and most likely will die there

why do I know this poo poo, im not even american

parliamentary maneuvers like referring stuff to committee to die are pretty universal.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

As a Millennial I posted:

can you get a mistrial based on your lawyer sucking terribly

yes. ineffective assistance of council is reason for a mistrial.

but in this case it would be very tough to show that dpr's lawyer would be at fault for him getting his rear end handed to him and not the prosecution having my-criminal-diary.txt as evidence.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

anthonypants posted:

but how many of the responses are "wow that sucks u/changetip 50 bits"

only a couple of bitcoiners showed up and were downvoted to oblivion very quickly.

most of the advice is pretty standard "separate your finances. see if you can get him into therapy for his gambling addiction but consider divorce"

although someone did point out the transactions are irreversible so she could just give him a taste of his own medicine and sell all of the bitcoins.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

DNova posted:

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

always amusing when bitcoiners leave their hugbox and get smacked by the fact that people widely regard them as idiots.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Alan Smithee posted:

I once sat on a jury box and we used the same drat bathroom as the prosecutor/defense attorney. Talk about awkward pissing contest.

And then while alone in the parking garage I got to play don't-make-eye-contact with the defendant who clearly worked out and was on trial for breaking a dude's nose in a fight (not guilty fwiw)

poo poo's weird yo

if you had tried to speak with the attorneys they probably wouldn't have even acknowledged your existence beyond a curt nod. not because they are assholes but because the last thing they want to have happen is for someone to say "oh yeah I saw/heard the prosecutor chatting with a juror in the bathroom."

court is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

pgroce posted:

finally, something bitcoin can fix!

• Locked thread