Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

My Thanks to you all, bitcoin has changed my life (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 6 minutes ago by IndianaJill

Hi /r/bitcoin. There's no good way to introduce myself. I'm a 20 year-old woman, I’m between the cracks, I’m a slave, forced into whoring myself, a victim of what is usually called “human trafficing.” There's no way I can escape from this without harm coming to my family, I’m not here for pity. This is the life I'm stuck in, and I'm making the best of it, day by day. The last year, though has been much better than expected.

I began reading this reddit with interest in 2012, and in 2013 (first buy was at $43), began coordinating meets downtown with people selling local. (Nice guys, every one of them wanted to rescue me, really sweet (if any of you are reading this, thank you)) and I'd exchange a small portion of my night's cash for bitcoins.

I had one seller who began to meet me regularly, act like an ordinary John on until we got to the room, and then just educate me for the hour about bitcoin. These sessions are some of my happiest memories from the past 2 years. He even paid/tipped me for my time after teaching me! Some in cash, only a little in bitcoin: kept the management from growing suspicious. always still mostly taking home cash) I trusted him enough to hold my bitcoin for me, to keep any evidence of what I was doing off my phone. He was truly a good samaritan. In this way I managed to put about 10% of my earnings away every month. I don't have to tell you how smart and lucky I felt come December.

I sent 22 BTC home that month (around $750 exchange rate) to help pay off a portion of my parent's debt. If this was taken home as cash, almost 2/3 of it would have gone to management "expenses." Once I've finished covering their debt, I plan to save to purchase my freedom and be through with the business. This should be in about a year. I've recently begin to understand basic margin trading, and I suspect that, even with my extremely limited computer access, I could turn a profit on the bitcoin i already have by opening a 3:1 buy when I feel btc has dipped close to low.

I had some rare free time and II wanted to thank you, users of this subreddit, for helping educate me about bitcoin and, in turn, helping me to get my parent's life back on track as soon as possible. If I'm living a different life in a year, I'll have you all to thank. I bet this all sounds tragic, but it’s reality, and I'm doing much better than I ever imagined. I thought you would be happy to know how it has has positively affected my life & my parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

MLR this hallowe'en as spooky blockchain ghost

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

https://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMarkets/comments/2ky9l4/daily_discussion_saturday_november_01_2014/clpzfu8

[–]5817707 6 points 3 hours ago*

OKay here it is. I'm living in the streets now... not thanks to Bitcoin but thanks to myself and my hopefuly beliefs about Bitcoin finally taking us out of slavery from money manipulators thousands of miles away taking a % of every transaction worldwide. I've always said I don't care if my coin goes to 0 if I help to change the world by adopting it it is worth it.

I've never lived in the streets before. I could sell my bitcoins now at a loss and get a car or apartment for the short term and be okay. But I'm going homeless. Why? I believe more in changing the world than my greed for profit.

Not only am I not selling at a loss, I'm going to continue to be homeless in order to keep them. I'm going to do EVERYTHING in my power to ensure that Wells Fargo does not see a dime from me ever again any time I can help it. That means not spending my BTC until people accept and hold BTC (not trade it directly for fiat)...

So I'm in long term, I don't care if it goes to $1 I"m going to keep buying if I get winter work, going to put every last spare penny into it still. When I go back to my regular job in the Summer... going to keep buying.

The only thing that we need to do is remember that bitcoin can never go away anymore. it will always be worth "something". Sidechains are going to make it more useful.

And the dollar is by laws of mathematics going to inflate FAR faster than bitcoin. It doesn't look like it because when two trillion dollars are manufactuerd its a drop in the bucket but when 1000 bitcoins are sold its a huge percent. As BTC growth slows down though it will become more obvious that worldwide the BTC will retain more value than dollar day by day.

Holding long term is the only right way to go. We're close to 0 already so if it DOES go forever away then well I can't get mch worse off than I am now. I'm learning to live in the streets so I can hold this long term.

I can't explain it all right now but seriously stop worrying. Think of it as LONG TERM. You only lose if you sell at a loss so pretend you put that in a 5 year CD instead and don't look at it's value daily, look at it a few times a year.

(edit: if another coin looks way more promising than bitcoin then I'm also diversifying my crypto investments but right now I'm 80% BTC. Just FYI I really like the direction of MAID and others that will liberate content from adertisers, trackers, and governments)

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

pro

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Winklevoss preso at 20/20 bombs, no ETF launch in sight (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 minutes ago by WeGotCactus

I'm a permabull/hodler myself, and have been a little bit disappointed by the news coming in from Twitter about their presentation. Was hoping for an ETF launch announcement or something new, but it was just a pitch for Bitcoin, and a rather poor one at that which is being described as awkward and poorly tuned for the audience (7,500 payment experts).

Tweets
Miron Lulic ‏@MironLulic Feel pretty bad for the Winklevoss twins. Most of the room emptied by the end. #money2020

Erik Hess ‏@HoyaHess Wow. couldn't handle another minute of the Winklevoss presentation at the #Money2020 conference. #Fail

Eric Isham ‏@216Eric People are running for the exits. The Winklevoss twins are bombing huge! @money2020 #WTF?

Matt White ‏@FinextraMatt
Actually starting to feel sorry for the Winklevoss boys...#money2020

Scott Dueweke ‏@Scott_Dueweke
Winklevoss twins are crashing and burning with awkward and difficult presentation using the periodic table #money2020

Pics
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1j5CDICMAAkNEP.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1j7FVGCAAAiYz5.jpg

Next time they should send Andreas Antonopoulos.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Canadian Bitcoin Exchange CAVirtex Faces Class Action Lawsuit
http://bitcoinschannel.com/canadian-bitcoin-exchange-cavirtex-faces-class-action-lawsuit/

CAVirtex, Canada’s largest and oldest Bitcoin online exchange, is facing a potential class action lawsuit to the tune of $884,880 CAD. The alleged losses were incurred by the lawsuit-bringers after the company offered 10% of its shares for sale on the cryptocurrency-based asset exchange, Havelock Investments then stopped listing the stock by the end of 2013.

A total of 10,000 shares were sold on March 23, 2013 and continued to be traded until the end of 2013. At that time, CAVirtex announced that they would no longer be listing stock from Havelock and that they would offer to buy back their shares at an “adjusted exit price” of $30 CAD a share. At the time of the announcement, the stock was trading around $120 CAD a share.

Not only was the exit price unfair but the process for selling the shares was made complex, and many investors were left stock and as a result of this became permanent shareholders in CAVirtex. The class-action lawsuit against CAVirtex is based on the market cap at the time of the incident and takes into account the adjusted exit price offered. Those who feel they have been wronged by CAVirtex have until November 1st to submit a claim by contacting [email protected] with your name, phone number, number of shares you held, and any other relevant information. After November 1st, more details will be revealed; including, the name of the firm behind this.

This is the second time CaVirtex has been in the news this month. On October 6th, they disabled Bitcoin withdraws citing an increase in volume that lead their “hot wallet running dry.” The likelihood of CAVirtex’s actions being related to recent SEC actions increases as more news comes to light.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

CAVirtex operates a bunch of bitcoin ATM's btw

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

PayPal keynote happening now (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 hours ago * by nypricks

Hill Ferguson chief product officer

Bitcoin was mentioned very early.

NFC penetration with big shout outs to Google

Payments online are too cumbersome.

Consumer and identity convergence.

Pumping pay after delivery. (that'd mesh well with BTC...)

Now available in the US

Payments are sexy. No BTC announcement.

WINKLERS ARE UP

Lots of people broke for the door. They're visibly shook by that. Doing a history of money thing now. Going through the periodic table for what could be a viable money. It's awful right now.

They're trying to explain BTC strengths without saying Bitcoin.

This is torture. People are filing out. They're reading off slides verbatim. Now they're defining the Internet...

Explaining transfer of value via the Internet problem. Even this crowd has a basic BTC knowledge at this point.

Now jumping to pegged sidechains More people leaving. Very awkward and kind of falling apart on stage.

Jumped again to machine to machine transactions. No flow. Very fragmented.

I'd wager that about half of the room has left.

Now app coins enable artificial intelligence... What?
This is not what we need at a payments conference...

Futuristic speed coins that pay other cars to move out of the way. Even I'm confused. I was hoping to hear about the etf but we might as well be on Neptune at this point.

They're trying and I feel bad but this is rough

That's it! Wow what a bomb.

Hahaha I can't believe what I just saw.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Pretty sure the owner of that betting site Mirceau Popescpoo has a lot of money to lose there

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Here is why the hash rate jumped and took a dive in days. EST. $3,600,000 worth - GONE! (i.imgur.com)

submitted 3 hours ago by jordanwpg

quote:

[–]real_slow 3 points 38 minutes ago

http://www.thairath.co.th/content/456629

News article of the incident.

quote:

[–]real_slow 5 points 36 minutes ago

Spondoolies has confirmed that there was no insurance.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=521520.msg9451830#msg9451830

Robawesome fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 6, 2014

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

quote:

[–]real_slow 1 point 39 minutes ago

It's been open for 4 months, according to the news article.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

quote:

[–]effortninja 12 points 2 hours ago*

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=521520.8380

3 buildings burned, the photos are just from one

quote:

[–]mmeijeri 10 points 3 hours ago

Apparently all brand new Spondoolies SP30, or at least that's what it says on the Spondoolies thread on bitcointalk.

quote:

[–]vcorem 2 points an hour ago

August and September batches.

Before picture: http://storage.googleapis.com/spond_public/images/cowboyminer%20wall%20of%20SP30.jpg

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

no way this is the same fire though

click that news article

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Been a good week for the buttcoin thread

quote:

[–]tor4tor 0 points 18 minutes ago

goddammit, I made my first darknet purchase ever last week. I wonder if I'll still get my thing... or just get arrested :-(

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

please hurry up and fix my server also top secret government stuff so no looksies

Robawesome fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 7, 2014

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

lol

also holy poo poo "that one guy who bought a Tesla with Bitcoins" is the new idiot DPR3

Robawesome fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 7, 2014

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

wait so was DPR2 a different person or is it this Blake guy and he just pretended to be two people

DPR1 is Ulbricht
DPR2 was some guy who ran Silk Road 2 and then quit after BTCKing was arrested. Defcon was his right-hand guy
the "new" DPR2 is Defcon, or Brenthall, the guy the FBI arrested

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

It's happening. SR2 seized by DoJ. Are we safe? (self.SilkRoad)

submitted 8 hours ago by somechrisguy

This is horrible news. I am so thankful that I got my last couple of orders in yesterday... I really hope they come through as I will have no way of contacting the vendors. Are we safe? What does this mean for us?

quote:

[–]whothisguy 1 point an hour ago

Wow. This is the first time I haven't been screwed by my poor timing. I lost money on the first seizure, the hack, and ended up losing an order due to DDOS attacks when a vendor ripped me off.

quote:

[–]RelapzZ 1 point an hour ago

Sorry I'm new to Reddit but its the only site I know of that discusses silkroad. I placed in order yesterday with a vendor and want to know if there is a possible way to get in touch with him via tour? Isn't there a SR forum that is only accessible through Tor? The vendor I'm buying from has a page set up to discuss business matters in case SR ever went down. Am I allowed to say a vendors name out loud on this site because he is a pretty popular LSD dealer on SR so someone ought to know him and have access to the link where he said to message him in case SR ever went down.

quote:

[–]A-LittleAboveAverage 1 point 2 hours ago

Serious question, can the BTC addresses used to add funds so SR be traced right back to the account it came from? That would have all the personal info on it... helpp

[–]A-LittleAboveAverage 1 point 2 hours ago

Okay yeah I intentionally (and stupidly) didnt use another tumbling service just because SR had one, even though they said you should use another. But I only made 4 small purchases for my first time ever and then this happened. One of them was not shipped yet either. Anyway as long as they dont try to get the little guys, like myself I hope it will all be okay. This is definitely not the time in my life I want to get hosed for this kind of poo poo. Things were finally looking in the clear.

quote:

[–]Raindrops77 -1 points 3 hours ago

Whoever needs something, PM me!

quote:

[–]Doorhorse 1 point 6 hours ago

I just placed an order last night, any ideas on the probability of that order being fulfilled? What a bummer.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

FMguru posted:

what ive read about drug dealing and other illicit economy stuff is that its real hard to spend the money you make unless youve put the effort into set up a really good laundering system, so you end up spending all your cash on dumb flashy poo poo that costs less than $1000. i think its one of the reasons drug dealers have a reputation for dressing in sharp clothes and wearing a lot of jewelry and going to clubs comes from - there really isnt much else they can do with their money

and now you know where that guy in college who had one of every video game system and a continuous supply of all the latest games could afford all the stuff

as an ex-irl (and convicted) drug dealer i can tell you its not hard to spend lots of cash. i bought a few 10k+ cars and trucks in cash, insurance companies don't ask where you work or where the money comes from and neither do dealerships. laundering lots of money isnt very hard but most small-timer drug dealers dont make enough to launder and just end up buying expensive clothes. i paid for college with drug money.

Same Great Paste posted:

because cops don't confiscate them and so they can always hand an expensive ring to a friend to go pawn for bail.

this kinda makes sense but most drug dealers just keep a bunch of cash, in more than one location if you're not absolutely retarded, so if your house gets raided you at least have get-on-your-feet-and-pay-the-lawyer money

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

jfc

Robawesome fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 12, 2014

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

holylemon posted:

i spent like $1 on PACER to get these, you're welcome

bless you. those customer statements are gold

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Circle Sucks and Coinbase Rocks! (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 3 minutes ago by carptrout

Wow, after trying to sign up with Circle and getting the runaround - after a couple of weeks they tell me that they want a color copy of my photo ID so that I can prove that I'm not a fraud. gently caress Circle, I say to them prove to me that your not a fraud first! I've reported them to the BBB, my bank and local authorities.

Thank God for Coinbase, that's all I have to say, because they do what they say and are honest.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

holy gently caress this seansoutpost thing is so funny

"I don't want to register as a charity"

"I use my RV as a base of operations for my business, but registered and insured it in my own name to save money"

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

I was just banned from /r/personalfinance for tipping and learned a valuable lesson on tipping etiquette in the process. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 4 minutes ago by AntiCapt

I had a few thousand bits saved up from the tips I have received over the last 12 months and decided it was a good time to put them to use, so I cleaned out my wallet in the one thread.

My approach was all wrong, I found a thread complaining about bank fees and tipped every top level comment in it.

In reflection this was not the correct approach, it spammed the thread and was not a good look.

Moving forward I will be more tactful with my tips and today I have received a valuable lesson along with my first sub-reddit ban!

I have talked with the mods and apologized, they're not lifting the ban but have also clarified tipping is not outlawed in the sub but my misguided approach is.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Law Enforcement should pay out Bitcoin for anonymous tips which lead to arrests. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 8 minutes ago by bittopia

It seems it would be an easy way for someone to be compensated for dishing out dirt without being traced. Now... some say bitcoin can be traced, but if I create a paper wallet and the law enforcement sends money to that address for a tip off, it will not be traceable by a typical thug. However, if that thug had someone on "the inside" they probably could find out who ratted if compensation was cash based. Any thoughts? The police could then issue statements such as "Man beaten on 7th ave 3am outside of Jack's Brewhouse, any information leading to the attackers arrest receives 5 Bitcoin to your address of choice.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

the talent deficit posted:

did anyone mine the 'theymos lost all the bitcointalk forums upgrade fund on just-dice' vein and it's neighbor the 'theymos is paying four developers his friend a front probably no one like 1.2 mil to write new forums scheduled to be out in 2019' vein yet?

quote:

[–]theymos -32 points 1 day ago

Here are some that I found in my history:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/29m08r/if_you_donate_to_the_forum_ill_make_a_ton_of/cimc0ap
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/23o0hs/an_rbitcoin_moderator_seems_to_be_a_wellknown/cgz0vp6
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/23crla/rtechnology_removing_bitcoin_censorship_losses/cgw1xga
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/23crla/rtechnology_removing_bitcoin_censorship_losses/cgw07zg

The biggest issue I have is that there was a lot of money donated that just isn't doing anything at the moment and there doesn't seem to be a clear plan on when it will be used.

I'm currently paying Slickage $100,000 per month from the forum funds to work on new forum software. Here's much of the code they've written. I have seen absolutely no criticism of the work done so far, and Baron (a component of the new software, funded the forum) was recently featured on Hacker News.

[–]SirChasm 2 points 4 hours ago

Here's much of the code they've written

It's good that you linked to github, because it's the most transparent part of your operation here. Taking a look, it basically consists of wangbus, akinsey, taesup, and unenglishable contributing to it. Four people, each making 25K A MONTH for simple JavaScript work. That works out to a 300,000 annual developer salary for each of them. Yet 300K developers are so, so rare because you have to be exceptionally good to command that kind of pay.

[–]theymos 0 points 3 hours ago

Keep in mind that people who make "$100,000 a year" actually cost 1.5-2 times more than that due to health insurance, taxes, etc. Slickage also hires outside help sometimes (UI experts, etc.). I think that the rate is reasonable.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

trucutru posted:

It's that time of the month again

That guy actually updates and posts that daily in r/bitcoinmarkets. for some reason he decided to make a new topic of it today on r/bitcoin

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

heres some more bullshit from bitcoinmarkets

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

AlbieQuirky posted:

This is like Bitcoin TimeCube.

Why is there so much volume on the Chinese exchanges (particularly BTCChina) and so little volume everywhere else? The contrast is dramatic.

Chinese exchanges don't have fees or something

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

If you are the hacker who was using my computer the night before last and took approx 50 of my Bitcoins: nice work, seriously. Can you please return them? They were a combination of wedding gifts and years of saving. (info inside) (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 5 hours ago * by LostCoinsKickingSelf

I’ve been thinking about all the ways you could have found the necessary passwords to get into my computer and actually be using it overnight. None of them too easy. You put some pieces together in a pretty clever way and worked around my many accounts with 2fa. You maybe even had privileged access to something in order to get my credentials including multiple passwords. Or maybe I was just galactically stupid and it wasn’t that hard afterall. Anyway. Wow.. Seriously, Kudos.

Funny story: you would have had more time browsing my computer & email (I saw you searched my gmail for “bitcoin”) before I killed the connection if you woudn’t have accidentally un-paused the TV episode my wife had paused before we went to bed. We heard the noise of a show across the house and got up. You had already gotten my wallet backup file though, you were quick, but I suppose you would have found much more given time.

The funds were comprised of wedding gifts and a not-insignificant portion of my salary invested over the past year.. and some hobbyist mining. This one really hurts.. like I got punched in the gut and betrayed by a friend.

To be sure you have the right person: Here are the 2 tx’s where you emptied my wallet

https://blockchain.info/tx/b90e41c6740f3a9fb9419e446deaa30b3183b4ca854fadf8dd441daad135b42f

https://blockchain.info/tx/5ae9903150beb1928ab63eb7362507a4ae7334642cbaa904f6d8e1ba7c773770

Here’s a signature of the title of this reddit post from one address from that wallet: 12V4dq4Y3sMk1WUmQSuiCA5wK8RPWAwMw7

HM+X0sKK7dWc1p5nesQxU96YQcMdQnOwbY+uBs6i+WM7v0wH7NuaiKc/LdoVfFypvgqN7OwdVdg/qqGHFJGoUF8=

Here are the 2 addresses you sent the coins to. (not there anymore)

https://blockchain.info/address/1AeaZr5d52sz8Ztcq6NL6bjxinEPzf3hrt

https://blockchain.info/address/1Pu51bwzxtw75ETWdY1YCaCvxFqu3d1nA7

And, here’s where you can return funds to me (some or all are much appreciated):

18MecUVBiwLqqVgHqK44HNXe2CUvapuNyA

Thank you so much.. AND. Thank you for the life lessons. They are well learned.

Sincerely,

Well, you know who I am..

[–]abeabeabeabe 2 points 38 minutes ago

I also lost 150BTC in my blockchain.info wallet, months ago.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/23ybk8/just_came_back_from_hospital_for_appendix_rupture/

I hope one day the hacker(s) would feel guilty after bad karma got him and return some to me. My life got pretty gently caress from that incident.

quote:

Just came back from hospital for appendix rupture to find out my 150 BTC had left my address (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 6 months ago * by phonixabe

https://blockchain.info/en/tx/550c6dc930e46125ff6b494019aebd1d4b39085177d74d04641804c0a74acab1

Here's how it started. A few months ago, I imported an address from blockchain.info wallet to my bitcoin-qt wallet to get a few XCP that I burned on Counterparty protocol ( Yeah I know I should have imported it to another wallet but I was not thinking at the time)

I've never logged into the blockchain.info wallet again until today.

Then days passed by, I forgot about it and unluckily picked this address from the bitcoinqt wallet to receive a pretty good chunk of 151.2920195 BTC

The chunk sat there for almost 2 months before 150.0001 BTC had left without my knowing until now.

No clue why the hacker left 1.29 BTC.

Does this relate to the RNG exploit it in past ? Also my password is pretty weak, only 10ish characters, no 2fa whatsoever, as I never intended to store more than half a BTC on blockchain.info. But I never login on other machines and I'm using OSX.

Okay, if you know, or you are the one who drained my address and being not a totally black hat, please consider sending 120BTC back to 1EjgVQN2pokR1WfrfiGjqYaC8orjLWDrKd , I would greatly appreciate it.

"I feel like I'm about to throw up" signed with 16mLN1bvHArZGUxT5TgHjixR43sLJ6hUMR => "HGdFd4njWnzC7ZOjsoCBZobHtLuLKPTAjkv4KtRf2gnibNODe+3VAW7bLcTFx8ubOgdw4I9wrMvbXSetvgWdPCU="

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

"Why you shouldn't rely on middlemen" or "Why Bitcoin is awesome for business." (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 30 minutes ago * by coinsquare_kits

We accept payments through BitPay - which has been really great so far - nothing against them.

However we reached a transaction limit today because of a surge of sales on Black Friday. We tried to raise the limit but it can take a few days. Orders were bouncing and we couldn't process orders! What a disaster....

....or was it?

Because of Bitcoin, customers could bypass BitPay and send us funds directly. We were up and running in no time - and no cut going to any middlemen.

Bitcoin saved us today. We think it will save a lot of businesses in the future.

Thanks for reading everyone!

- Coinsquare Team

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

"Then they fight you": Bitcoin paralyzes them with fear, as it should. This is phase three, gentlemen. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted an hour ago by americanpegasus

The soup of emotions must be horrible. They see bitcoin, they see the adoption and the legitimacy of the math. They understand the promise and the advantages. And instead of doing the bold and logical thing, buying in, they spend their time hating and harping, even in this subreddit.

Bitcoin has moved past the ignore and laugh phases. No one is laughing at bitcoin anymore. And when the next run begins in 2015, be ready for the fight. You are going to see all manner of hatred thrown out. They will call it 'terrorist money'. They will call mercilessly remind people of how bitcoin has no inherent value. They will sling around words like 'bubble' and 'tulip'. They will hate.

Why? Because, these feeble brains cling to their old ways. Maybe they have traditional investments, maybe not. But whether emotionally or financially, they are invested in the current way of doing things. Bitcoin threatens not just their understanding of money, but their concept of self.

You don't threaten a person's concept of self without a fight.

And ultimately they are weak and bitter. Bitter for not having the magic foresight of buying in at 10 cents a coin (when they laughed at the 'true believers') and cowardly and weak because they refuse to risk even the one percent chance that bitcoin might fail at these incredibly advantageous price levels.

People don't like to admit they are wrong. They will do almost anything before they admit they are wrong.

And anyone who doesn't see that the next great paradigm shift in finance after banking, interest, stocks, bonds, and derivatives is bitcoin is just being stubborn. They've already been wrong about the past four years. And they will be even more wrong soon.

Bitcoin will be worth over $10,000 a coin. That will happen before 2020. Think about that. It's a psychological, societial, and mathematical certainty (barring the foundation somehow being broken.... Astronomically improbable).

I'm not a coward like the others. I was wrong. Laughing at the two previous crashes, I sat confident that bitcoin was a pyramid scheme. I was confident it would be swept away, or at least replaced by bitcoin 2.0.

Only now can I see the future with crystal clarity. The headstart in adoption and mass consciousness is too large to topple. The tipping point is achingly close. Bitcoin is about to become the new gold. It will be the new standard by which nations measure financial stability and security.

Having a solid ownership of the block chain is going to be prestigious and hotly contested.

Bitcoin is going to change the world, in our lifetimes.

And we can own it now. Before jobs pay salaries in it. Before mass consciousness and adoption.

We are the blessed few, because we use reddit and are tapped into the bleeding edge of technology to know about it now. People, the bleeding edge of humanity has NEVER been a comfortable place to be. People will call you crazy, deluded, and worse.

"Flying? What are you, an idiot? It's frankly unbiblical. "
"Man cannot go to space. It's impossible."
"The Internet is a silly toy for uber-nerds. "

I was wrong.
But now I'm not.
Bitcoin is the future, and I'm proud that today I became one of the 21,000,000. I own my first whole bitcoin.

I hope in the coming months to become one of a million by owning 21.

And ultimately own 0.001% of all bitcoin by collecting 210.

In the meantime, enjoy that you can buy hundreds of thousands of future dollars for just about $370. It's the greatest life hack that ever was.

Glad to be here with you all.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

So this is what I was doing last night in London... (i.imgur.com)

submitted 14 hours ago by AbbyBitcoin

[–]Aalewis__ 1 point 45 minutes ago

You dear m'lady radiate like a vibrant queen. I can tell a lady that appreciates a good guy when she sees one. Would you like to enjoy conversation with a gentlemen such as myself? I Respect women, intelligence, class, and of course bitcoins.

[–]Billistixx -1 points 3 hours ago

How many bitcoins for you to sit on my face?

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Longer term Bitcoin storage interaction/addition/subtraction questions. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted a minute ago by whodkne

So I was one of the many who had coins stolen early on. I left them in the Bitcoin client wallet and while encrypted I had some malware that gave them my wallet and must have keylogged my password, it was unique.

Since then I've tried to recoup some losses by putting more money in to BC and looking at longer term holding. Learning from my mistakes I used an off-line version (on a disconnected Linux laptop, fresh install of certified ISO, only connection was USB stick loading paper wallet generator). Once they were generated in to PDF I put them back on the key, printed them from my main PC and deleted them.

Those papers are stored in a few locations.

Now, I purchased some more coins from various sites and they are sitting those web wallets. Some are in "vault" storage but that doesn't make me feel very secure either way.

What are my challenges now with adding to my existing paper wallets? Are there any? I assume I can just type in the public key as the address to send from web wallets and there should be no possible security vulnerability with this?

I also assume that scanning the public key QR code on the wallet to check balances with my phone is fine (obviously completely hiding anything of the private key)?

If I want to pull BC out of cold storage, what do I need to know? Do I have to move it all at once (I hear things about change addresses)?

Aside from losing the private keys (papers) what else should I worry about?

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

I don't know how long this will be public but (from r/bitcoin)

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=305525112971532&set=vb.100005421365818&type=2&theater

some guy's video about how a bitcoin ATM took his bitcoin but didn't give him any cash

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

My band trying to use Bitcoin for mp3 downloads. Does it have to be this complicated? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 6 minutes ago by antiquesons

Hello, My acoustic folk anarcho-punk band...

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

nah thats the best part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

• Locked thread