Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

sorry, the ftc beat you to it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Buy in again now to lower your average buy in price.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
when they introduced apple pay they literally played a video of a person fumbling with an overstuffed wallet and clumsily struggling to find the right card

we were all waiting for it to end with the wallet falling on the floor and the person looking at the camera and saying THERE'S GOTTA BE A BETTER WAY

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Boxturret posted:

It's my birthday you know what that means!

*Every branch of law enforcement from every jurisdiction comes in for a giant party*

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think it was a disclosure thing... someone found a form on their site that allowed you to determine whether an email address had a currentc account

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
there are zero physical locations that accept currentc, it doesn't launch until next year

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

theflyingorc posted:

edit - for an extra laff, click on the link to the survey

it gave me an mit authentication page, what's the laff

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
http://thedailywtf.com/articles/Special-Delivery but with piss

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
bitcoin: building the foundation of global finance one 48-hour code jam at a time

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
what causes those single data points that are so far below the rest

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Robawesome posted:

Futuristic speed coins that pay other cars to move out of the way. Even I'm confused. I was hoping to hear about the etf but we might as well be on Neptune at this point.

dey are speed coins. make de car go faster

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

trucutru posted:

Libertarian.txt

that guy should just start a competing wikipedia

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

vOv posted:

ohhhhhhhhhhh

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DNova posted:

you can't degauss an intact hard drive in its enclosure anywhere near as easily as those idiots think

you can in one scene in cryptonomicon which is where these people got all their infosec knowledge

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

duTrieux. posted:

footage of two guys in trenchcoats meeting in an alley and handing off a 5-inch floppy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
only after watching that gif several times do I think to ask what the hell is crash wearing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TVarmy posted:

also, what's the rationale for why freemen of the land think the government is corrupt and dishonest, yet also strictly bound to the literal phrasing of the constitution?

mental illness

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
COMPUTER HARDWARE BITCOINS

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
announcing the first butt hunt

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
make the sign right now, make sure he sees you making it and putting it up

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the house of dickquack

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
question: why does "true and correct" appear so many times in these court documents

does it have some special legal meaning beyond the obvious

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bucketmouse posted:

stay safe antibitcoin ghost

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
you just know that writing up dry clinical descriptions of horrifying fetishes on wikipedia is itself someone's fetish

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

how many confirmations did they wait for

also would lol forever if that block got orphaned

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't know anything about finance or stats but I imagine transactions are rated on a likelihood of shenanigans scale and there are automatic thresholds set up, at the high end of which they qualify for attention from higher and higher ranking humans until someone makes the call that there are most definitely shenanigans

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
so now they completely dropped the fiction that you're paying to maintain a bitcoin balance and do conversions and now you're just paying them to insert themselves as a middleman in your dollar transactions and take their cut?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

THEN A MIRACLE OCCURS

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Alan Smithee posted:

Funny enough the guy I know who runs a game store probably makes more money selling Magic Cards and running tournaments than video games

perhaps they should try taking that business online, maybe starting some kind of exchange

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
ah yes the ancient and well-known legal principal of effectus butterflius

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
that's nothing, the entire bitcoin economy is a bull poop delivery service

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
he sort of has a point in that pure randomness is often not what you want for a game, you do want it to be biased in favor of fun if that turns out to be necessary

the destiny loot generator is 100% random and the thread is full of people moaning about going weeks or months without the one drop they need (and then putting another 100 hours into the game anyway). the new raid that comes out tomorrow will have a less random loot system

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
remember when everyone was absolutely sure that the puzzle quest AI cheated and peeked at future tiles

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TVarmy posted:

to be clear, this wasn't about bad network security so much as trusting someone else to write the code to generate a private key for you, and not having enough entropy. the same code could have been on an offline client on an air-gapped machine and the butts would have been stolen. the same thing happened with an android wallet and a browser javascript-based wallet generator using the built-in RNGs.

so what exactly happened? was it like that wallet generator page where they used a weak seed and someone was able to reproduce addresses already in use?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Elysiume posted:

I've seen plenty of posts were people were like "I used bitcoin and it was awful garbage"

plus there's probably an enormous number of people who have quit bitcoin by just silently disappearing and not posting a huge meltdown about their lost life savings

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sniep posted:

how are you supposed to pronounce

"the artist formerly known as prince"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

surebet posted:

off topic but it's been a while since i saw heresiarch so whoever is keeping contact with him please wish him a happy christmas from me

stay safe borges ghost

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
bearing in mind that a lot of borges' work is deadpan scholarly treatment of completely fictional subject matter (reviews of books that aren't real, analysis of nonexistent folktales, stories from the life of a fictionalized version of himself, etc) and a lot of the fun is the initial impression that you're reading some sort of journal article or memoir before weird things start to crop up

even the clearly fictional ones are peppered with references to things that are real but so esoteric you're never quite sure

haveblue fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 22, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

theflyingorc posted:

"Who has hacked you, Polyphemous?"

"Anonymous! Anonymous has hacked me!"

"If you don't know who hacked you, quiet down!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the subway has free bathrooms (they are few and far between and gross but they exist)

• Locked thread