Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Ode to Satoshi Nakamoto

quote:

submitted 3 hours ago by KillMeAndYouDie

Ode to Satoshi Nakamoto

In the year of the bailouts, 2008,
The bankers were printing more debt for the state

The dollar grew weaker, the big picture clear
As they fed the hangover more Keynesian beer

World leaders debated, directing the blame
But with no real solutions, just more of the same

Regulation, mark-to-market, housing costs for the poor
Or maybe just our pure desire for more

Who's to blame, is this caused by desire for wealth?
When perhaps the real problem is money itself!

The idea isn't new, maybe everything's tanking
'Cause society is built on fractional reserve banking

And so called "investment" and attempted control
May soon spiral fiat into a death roll

As elected officials looked dumber and dumber
Others started to put their faith into numbers...

On one cold winter day, a crypto-genius arrived
With some rock solid code, picked up by the hive

Audited and improved, then released to the wild
Bitcoin had been born, Satoshi's brain-child

One day bankers and fascists may look back with scorn
On the day when the genesis block was born

Like a clock set in motion, with springs that are wound
By the hackers who joined, mining blocks to be found

Securing transactions of those who believe
That middle-men shouldn't be there to receive

More than a small fee to perform a transaction
Or invade privacy of those taking the action

This idea is fantastic and easy to spread
Through incentives devised in the crypto-man's head

The ball started rolling, but Satoshi grew quiet
Soon thereafter began the first speculative riot

Had he lost faith, become scared, or retired?
Maybe he was a banker himself but got fired?

AI from the future or a corporate plot?
Or was "he" a "them", or had he been shot?

The answers to these, may never be known
So we'll make it a feast, so that you can be shown

How thankful we are for what you have built
As we sew our transactions on this open-source quilt

And we hope that you're lurking, with smile and a glow
As your world-changing software continues to grow

If you need some advice on this day, what to do?
Please dump some some of your coins, I have buy orders at $2
by Coretechs

(note - this is not OC, I have no idea who Coretechs is, this was taken from a friend I hope you enjoyed :) )

1 commentshare
all 1 commentsLoad all comments
sorted by: best

[–]DrMoneyMaker 0 points 2 hours ago

Not a cult.... I almost had to vomit... This better be satire...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

If that's a public address it's no use unless someone wants to send bitcoin to it. This would only make sense if it was a private key and someone could import it and send the bitcoins to their own address.

I thought Roger Ver had got himself a new robot until I noticed it didn't have wheels.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

apparently the private address is on the obverse and people sent additional money using the public key
so some guy searched the streets for a whole like $70 i think it was

edit: is obverse the right word? i know there's a single word for "back side" but i'm not sure if that's it

Ahh that makes more sense.

"reverse"?

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

Greyhawk posted:

Is it possible to start a decentralized Prostitution Site that governments cannot shut down or regulate? (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 53 minutes ago by TruValueCapital

Just curious b/c I know that a huge demand for this type of service.

Bitpimp/Pimpcoin? I dunno.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

Been done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7xJrCiZ0FQ&t=16s

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Mining Bitcoin with Excel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZBZPOEVyJA

He's just demoing the sha256 hashing algorithm used in bitcoin mining, my head hurts.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
I saw the best miners of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked in the heat of their rigs, dragging themselves through their burning basements at dawn looking for higher fees or a decreasing degree of difficulty...

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

blugu64 posted:

two pizzas

So a quarter million per slice, mmmmm.

Bitcoin!

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

Happy birthday from r/bitcoin

quote:

[–]Introshine 9 points 3 hours ago

This miner is so tasty, I'd like to fork it.

amirite.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Is this guy trying to scam me?

quote:

submitted 10 hours ago by Kmh0104

I'm looking on localbitcoin for a nearby dealer and I found someone in my city and asked if he could meet but he's out of town and won't be able to.

He said that I could take a picture of an AMEX gift card and send him a pic of the front and back so he could verify the value.

He has listings for many other large cities in the US as well.

My gut tells me that he will just take the card and not send the coins. Is he trying to scam me.

He has no previous trades on the site and his account is only a few hours old.

Good grief.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Opinion: How bitcoin technology could power driverless cars

quote:

In a speech at the August 2013 Turing Festival in Edinburgh, Hearn envisioned an economy composed of autonomous economic agents. He used the example of a driverless taxi, one guided only by sensors and GPS technology.

The one-car taxi service would be run by a smart software program plugged into an automated, electronic marketplace Hearn dubbed the Tradenet. There, prospective passengers could post ride requests and receive competing bids from multiple driverless cars. They would choose their preferred taxi based on fare, travel time, and model of car and could negotiate the route based on durations and fares that the service derived by bidding in a separate Tradenet “load space” market, where variations in traffic conditions would offer differing market-based toll-road prices for each route.

.... Or you could call a cab?

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

quote:

I've been sitting on a sci-fi poem epic I wrote that jumps to different time zones of the universe. I refuse to take anything but Bitcoin donations for it. Hope you enjoy. I called it the THE ELECTRIC RENAISSANCE:

There's 99 pages of it, no I didn't read it all: but spotted this lovely stanza.

quote:

Had sex in a teleportal last night.
Doggystyle in Shanghai.
Missionary in Bombay.
Fellatio in Italy.
Bridge in Frisco.
Did the stand and carry in Vegas.
Then we both came.
Back to Venus.
Clever fucks aren't we?

No cunnilingus?

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
SealsWithClubs chairman, Bryon Micon “I was led out in handcuffs in my underwear”

Site shutting down operations in the US, heading offshore for good.

quote:

After I was led out in handcuffs in my underwear, it was pretty clear that it was proper to leave sooner rather than later. I didn’t really want my two-year old daughter, who I love very much, to grow up in a police state where creativity is often met with guns and handcuffs and what-not and that’s just not the environment that I think is proper for my daughter to grow up in.

Won't somebody think of the children!

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Dream said $304

quote:

[–]bitfuzz 2 points 4 hours ago

Very conservative dream. My dream a couple of days ago said $1,000,000.

quote:

[–]teslika 4 points 2 hours ago

I had a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood and pay with Bitcoin

Good grief.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Warning: EpicScale "riskware" silently installed with latest uTorrent

It's a bitcoin miner...

quote:

Groundrunner

Posted Yesterday, 01:35 PM

When I updated uTorrent to version 3.4.2 build 28913 (32-bit) this morning it silently installed a piece of software called EpicScale. There was no information about this during installation and I did opt out of your other bundled software.

EpicScale is a bitcoin miner that also purports to use your "unused processing power to change the world". It's easily noticeable by the increased CPU load when the computer is idle.

The file date/time on the EpicScale files matches the time of the uTorrent update, which confirms uTorrent as the source.

Several other users are reporting the same thing here:

It's ok though

quote:

N4TE_B
A portion of the proceeds from this effort go to philanthropic initiatives. Please visit http://www.epicscale.com/ for more information.

JamesieAB fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 6, 2015

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
70 Year Old Rapper Bitcoin - Smoke For My Glaucoma

quote:

Bitcoin MD

Well Bitcoin, the test results came back and unfortunately it doesn't look too good.

Bitcoin

Oh poo poo!

quote:

Inform the immediate family, Immediately!

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Today marks the first time I pay for babysitting in BTC.

quote:

She has a shiny new Android cell phone, and what better way to put it to use than to install Mycelium from the play store?! :D

My big question is, should I keep her private key, as well, just because she's a newbie? I don't want her to lose the coin I'm going to send to it. I have no bad intentions whatsoever, and would NEVER take her money. I've just watched my girlfriend lose wallet passphrase after wallet passphrase, and would rather not see that happen.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Ross Ulbricht seeks a redo of the Silk Road trial

Complete with picture of a protester holding a creepy "not a cult" sign.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

Boxturret posted:

rreally?

oh if yuospos says so i guess it's true now im going to sell all my stuff for bitcoin

Remember to buy on the way down!

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Has anyone said Beenz yet?

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Here it is, the "BitSmart Bitcoin Hardware Wallet"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avTltQwS3gI

I've (literally) said this before - It's easy as pi!

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

MGN001 posted:

Hold on just a minute. Why did he put an ethernet cable in the ethernet port of the cold storage instead of epoxy?

Yup, so all you have to do is hack the hot pi and get access to the cold pi.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

Erenthal posted:

you can also donate bitcoins to the Carnicom Institute, that is conducting serious research into morgellons, as well into what they like to term "aerosol crimes".

Anyone else read that as "the carniecon institute"?

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

univbee posted:

Worked for Germany in the 20's

Oh wait, no, actually they were just burning the bricks of money because they were worthless and it was cheaper to burn them than buy firewood with it

Bitcoins only generate hate when made, though

Bitcoiners are amateurs compared to the KLF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3DQOLnSMNA&t=228s

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Apparently this happened a little while ago...

Robots are starting to break the law and nobody knows what to do about it

quote:

The Random Darknet Shopper, an automated online shopping bot with a budget of $100 a week in Bitcoin, is programmed to do a very specific task: go to one particular marketplace on the Deep Web and make one random purchase a week with the provided allowance. The purchases have all been compiled for an art show in Zurich, Switzerland titled The Darknet: From Memes to Onionland, which runs through January 11.

quote:

Update on 1/16: The Random Darknet Shopper just got seized by Swiss authorities, who at least waited until the art show was over before moving in. On the bot’s blog, organizers posted the following statement:

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Winklevoss twins believe bitcoin will ‘wipe out’ cash

quote:

Cameron Winklevoss chimed in, saying he wasn’t even carrying his wallet at the moment.

“I didn’t want to sit on it for an hour,” he said. “It would hurt my butt.”

“It would hurt my buttcoin.”

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

haveblue posted:

*tries to awkwardly jam gigantic wallet into pocket*

THERE'S GOTTA BE A BETTER WAY

Speaking of people jamming things where they shouldn't ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YersIyzsOpc&t=69s

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
why are so many btc mining companies re-nigging even on bought mining contracts?

wtf?

quote:

[–]FourthTimeLucky 1 point 44 minutes ago

"reneging" surely.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Papal Ebay Chargeback Protection on Selling Bitcoin

This is god for bitcoin!

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

AlbieQuirky posted:

are the butters becoming self-aware? is the singularity upon us?

As we type they are uploading themselves into their burning mining rigs via their raspberry pi's.

Praise be satoshi, This is gentlemen!

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Core Bitcoin Developer Recounts the Early Days with Satoshi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxk8Dx216zI

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
They're at it again.

Bitcoin for wedding present

quote:

submitted 8 hours ago by BPBryan

I'm going to a wedding in a month. I was invited by the bride (my best friends sister). She is a musician living in Nashville.

Here is my gift:

1: In a card, overview what bitcoin is, how it could help with music donations and a way to interact with fans.

2: For live shows create an buy her a wood wallet from: http://woodwallets.io/ or http://www.thewoody.co/products/wood-bitcoin-wallet-tags
This could be used by the groom since he will have a wallet to carry it in.
And use Bread wallet for iphone app.

3: Send her a QR code with bitcoin address and detail how to put on her website.
Any tips or insight would help!

quote:

[–]luffintlimme 7 points 8 hours ago

Do you have a few minutes? Have you heard the good news of Bitcoin? :-)

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Silk Road coder turned dealer turned informant gets five years

quote:

Sadler pleaded guilty to selling nearly a million dollars of narcotics on the now-shuttered Silk Road online bazaar and was given the jail term as well as four years' probation

After his arrest, Sadler worked with the authorities until the arrest a few months later of Ross Ulbricht, who has been charged and later found guilty of being in charge of the website under the pseudonym Dread Pirate Roberts.

quote:

"He blew through all that money using drugs and going to strip clubs," said his attorney Michael Filipovic, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer reports.

Sadler had been making a good living as a computer programmer for many years, pulling in an annual salary of $180,000, the court was told. But three years ago he began to use drugs heavily and turned to the Silk Road to fund his habits and became one of the top one per cent of dealers on the site.

$180k per year and stay out of jail or a million over three years and five years in jail? Tough call.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
A not too interesting article, HM TREASUY ON DIGITAL CURRENCIES

quote:

Another advantage that was mentioned is the 24/7 availability of the blockchain. Compare that to banks and you truly see how anachronistic the current financial system is.

Contains an old friend.

Very misleading!

I'm sure I've seen this before, I don't know about you but I can use online banking anytime.The only time I go to a bank is to pay in cheques/cash or take out cash from the machine outside, try that with localbitcoin if you want a free stabbing.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
I just realised it's worse than that, I live in a village and the only bank opens from 10 to 4 on Monday, thursday and friday. They're right!

Ok, they're still wrong.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
The Silk Road Back to Leviathan?

quote:

Thus, the Silk Road murder-for-hire episode shows what happens when the state interferes in the markets for drugs and law enforcement.

So it was the states fault all along?

quote:

Even here, there is a crucial difference: when the state decides to eliminate its enemies, it uses funds confiscated from innocent people to bankroll the killers. In contrast, DPR used his own money to pay the (purported) hit men.

So that's all right then?

quote:

It’s important not to frame the issue as DPR trying to kill a blackmailer. Many libertarians consider blackmail to be a peaceful and therefore legitimate activity. (See, for example, Walter Block’s chapter on blackmail in the seminal libertarian book Defending the Undefendable.) If Joe discovers that Dave is cheating on his wife, Joe might be a jerk if he demands money from Dave to keep quiet, but he’s not violating anyone’s rights if he does so.

Joe is such a jerk.

quote:

Finally, a crucial difference between DPR and the state is that DPR wanted to err on the side of not hurting an innocent person. Here is the specific excerpt from the message log:

quote:

Dread Pirate Roberts 4/5/2013 18:49: I’ve received the picture and deleted it. Thank you again for your swift action.
I would like to go after Andrew, though it is important to me to make sure he is who Blake said he is. I would rather miss the chance to take him out, than hit an innocent person. If he is our man, then he likely has substantial assets to be recovered. Perhaps we can hold him and question him?

And steal his money? Sorry "and steal his bitcoin"?

quote:

He made very bad decisions — which were also immoral according to my value code — but they were nothing compared to what leaders of modern states do every day.

Not quite as immoral as the state, so it's ok?

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

There's even mention of an "Alan Turing Institute", presumably to protect us from sentient ASICs stamping about like giant screaming space heaters.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Max Keiser and Russell Brand enter The Battle of the Signs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObdG0qqFw20

Oh good two of the most annoying people in one video. Can someone watch it and tell me what it's about?

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Barnacules Nerdgasm has a bitcoin mining operation in his shed. He's cut a hole in the shed and fitted a 120mm "cpu cooling fan" to it for really ineffectual ventilation. He also 3Dprinted a shroud to finally stop all that pesky rain getting in.

4.4 TH/s of free ASIC miners from his friend Marshall get's him $8.30 profit per day ($3029.5 per year) after paying for power (at 10 cents per KW ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_ylVOLvoiY

He's convinced a neighbour to host another miner in their shed because he's run out of circuits in his house.

That's the tale of Barnacules Nerdgasm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Susanne Tarkowski Tempelhof is Founder and CEO of Bitnation

quote:

"I was a military contractor, so I spent a lot of time in various war zones (Like Brad in WWZ?): a lot of the work I did was assessing governments"

"Sea steads, micro nations"

"Democracy is a terrible system"

"It's mob rule"

"Why should my rights be taken away from me just because I happen to be outnumbered "

"So we have an Id and reputation system (Scammer tags?)"

"And people also need to have multiple identities and also anonymous identities"

And then there's this...

quote:

“Why are you going to the U.S.?”

“Business. I own properties and a company there.”

“What properties?”

“A condo in [Washington], D.C., and a church in Pennsylvania.”

“A church in Pennsylvania?”

“Yes. I was drunk and bought it online. It was really cheap. We’ve all done crazy poo poo when we’re drunk, right?”

“Yes, that’s true, but I never bought a church online.”

“Aha. Each to their own vices.”

“Have you ever been arrested?”

“No.” (I opted not to tell him of my arrest warrant in Pennsylvania for not cutting the grass on the church property—which I got because I was hanging out with rebels in Libya during the revolution. Hence, I didn’t check my mail in DC for months, and the fines eventually turned into a warrant. But I never did get arrested.)

STDH.TXT?

quote:

Arrest warrants for not cutting the grass on my own property; a one million dollar law suit for smoking in my condo; and now, not being able to enter the country again because I overstayed my visa by one day.

• Locked thread