Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Today was my birthday.

It was a good day today.

Thank you Sarah for your great reporting. :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Ross's "Drug Addicts Only Sweepstakes" helped temper my sympathy for him. also the part where he let his mom sell their house to pay for Dratel

Oh no. :smith:

"We love you Ross"

- Mom Ulbright, 2015, now living in grandparents' spare bedroom.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

FCKGW posted:

I'm a ginger trying to grow my beard out and ow I'm regretting this decision

This is ok as long as you don't have the thing going on like that guy where your beard connects to your upwards-growing chesthair to combine into one.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

good thing I don't have actual work to do today

:eyepop:

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Sentient Data posted:

Stupid movie didn't cover the TRUE history displayed in Cryptonomicon! And god drat did that book suck. I was expecting fanfictiony stupid Mary Sue stuff with glimmers of interesting moments after reading Snow Crash, but that stupid book was about 8 times as long as it should have been and goes on and on about such petty bullshit. But it's got :allears:THE VAULT:allears: and its magical digital currency which even in the book was used illegally, so of course it's probably one of the butter bibles

I liked the setting of the pacific theater of ww2 since, growing up in Canada, you only ever learn about the European side. v:shobon:v

How to write like Neal Stephenson:

1) Press Random Article on Wikipedia
2) Write 4-5 chapters where a character repeats wikipedia page verbatim as part of the narrative
3) Write 2-3 wacky chapters about cap'n crunch, toilet paper pools, fictional video game languages' use of apostrophes, etc.
4) Write ending where the climax is 2 lines long and involves the villain dying unceremoniously
5) Masturbate furiously

unpacked robinhood posted:

fuuuuck all coiners

I get free electricity.... (self.Bitcoin)
soumis 13 minutes ago par Austinswill
Hey everyone... I get free electricity at night and I was thinking about the possibility of doing some more Bit-coin mining...
What I would be interested in is a rig that has a high has rate but efficiency doesn't matter. Maybe the two are mutually exclusive, IDK, that is what I am trying to find out.
I would love to find a high hash rate machine that nobody would run because it burns more $ in electricity than it generates in BTC.
any Ideas?

ie: I got a job doing the overnight shift at 7/11 and can plug in a miner in the back room during my shift. Pls advise.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Dude in Cryptonomicon wanted to use the Blockchain to make an eternal memorial to Holocaust victims and use it as a way to teach those dirty poors in third world countries how to stop ethnic cleansing themselves every now and again.

Basically, "[xxxx] but with Bitcoin".

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Rick Ross Ulbricht posted:

Real life experience paying with bitcoin (self.Bitcoin)

submitted an hour ago by omnipoint

Let me premise this by saying that I am a firm believer of bitcoin as a revolutionary technology. I whole-heatedly believe that bitcoin will gain traction in the future, but right now, it's a consumer's nightmare.
Today for lunch, I went to the Mexicali Burrito in Cambridge expecting to pay with bitcoin. I was pretty excited, because this store was the latest to accept bitcoin in the area. I made my order and had my coinbase app fired up, ready to scan a qr code. However, the cashier wasn't ready.
Okay... Not such a big deal. He spends a few seconds to pull out an iphone, and launches what looked like the bitpay app. A few more seconds pass and it still doesn't load.
The line behind me is getting busy and the next customer is ready to pay...but this app still hasn't loaded. In the end, I paid with credit to speed up the process. When I finished paying, the bitpay app still had not loaded.
I had a little chat with the clerk during this time and he said that they were planning to stop accepting bitcoin in the upcoming month.
As it is now, bitcoin needs a face lift. It needs better PR and it needs better consumer/merchant interfaces. I still think that bitcoin is awesome, but there is still much that needs to be improved.
tldr; tried to pay with bitcoin, merchant bitpay app never loaded

currency of the future

It's the cashier's fault for using an iphone. Apple has been nothing but hostile to bitcoin for years, and is now actively boycotting bitcoin in order to get people to use its knockoff Apple Pay service. Everyone knows that.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

To his credit, the guy eventually responded:

tldr: gently caress you, we know what we're doing and you don't. You're just a lovely troll.

He hasn't responded to Brayden's counter-response yet.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

remember when bitcoin people mocked and ridiculed the doge nascar as being a childish and stupid publicity stunt?

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
The bitcoin ATM in Vancouver is/was running with CAVirtex, and the owner of the coffee shop it's in is a balls-deep bitcoiner who hosts weekly bitcoin meetups in there and everything.

I look forward to seeing how they will react to this. :allears:

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Did you write this? If so I know you irl.

AlbieQuirky posted:

nobody can locate the group's head

:golfclap:

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Since I'm inept and can't find it anywhere, is there a site where Susie's available prints are listed?

I want one.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
70 bucks for a nexus 7 is an ok deal. They're pretty solid tablets.

Also you'd be owning a piece of history, knowing that it came to be from some redditors' life savings.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

posted to /r/bitcoin under the title "Why Bitcoin Will Be Bigger Than the Internet in Two Sentences"

Naturally, the UK will adopt bitcoin so that a handful of spergs in the USA and China have all the nation's wealth, and not just start up the Epound or whatever.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

The term "expert" certainly gets thrown around easily in the bitcoin community, doesn't it?

If you can found your own company/exchange, you must be an expert right?

[image_mtgox_plaintext_passwords_in_url.jpg]

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

text editor posted:

Kohl's is selling DOGE shirts now i guess?

bitcoin loses again

http://i.imgur.com/rptYgGk.jpg

I'm the trademarked Doge.

don't np. reddit links to SA, it makes it vaguely harder to make fun of people that way. :arghfist:

Tipps fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 3, 2015

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

shadok posted:

western suburbs of ottawa. specifically i grew up in bell's corners, which is sometimes cited as one of the most blighted strip-mall concrete crapholes in north america.

my dad is from eastern ottawa suburbs and actively boycotts any place that hires "the jamaicans" :hfive:

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
utorrent is just being robin hood, taking money from the rich fatcats and giving it to the poor charities in need.

If anything, you should be thanking them for installing cpu-burning, electric-bill growing malware on your computer without your consent. It's for the good of society.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

I haven't finished watching the new season of House of Cards yet, but it looks like it's gonna be good.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

My female wife is, of course, unable to understand the concept of money with her tiny ovary-filled brain. She will enjoy this event. :smug:

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Do all a yall have these George Costanza chode wallets or what? What the gently caress just get a thin wallet for 2-3 cards and a few bills and put it in your back pocket like normal people do in tyool 2015.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
What is "a Mastercard or Visa debit card issued by a US bank" for us non-Americans who instead have things like tap-to-pay and free instant e-transfers between national financial institutions?

Why are thid party credit card companies at all involved with client-bank debit cards?

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Skarp posted:

makes sense. i think in :canada: we have like 10 major banks and all card work everywhere, seems pretty normal.

We also have interac e-transfer that does everything bitcoin purports to do (instant, free, party-to-party money transfers via email or text message), only safer, faster, and much, much easier.

:canada:

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

The senate hearings on crypto in Canada are wrapping up too. I imagine similar recommendations will be proposed - though we are going into an election in a few months so I doubt they will get through Parliament before then.

In the meanwhile, someone should start a betting site for pool bets on when "the next Silk Road v.X.XX" gets busted/runs with the cash. Not me though, ideas guy etc.

I give this Agora place until the end of April.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
i'm the guy with 1.5mil to burn whose only other post on reddit is in a praisepost in an "idiots guide to nootropics" thread, which is apparently some weird homeopathic "cognitive enhancer" MLM poo poo.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

QuarkJets posted:

remember when a bunch of bitcoiners thought that the fall of mtgox would herald a new age of trustworthy exchanges since no one would repeat the same mistakes?

Okay, starting now.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

univbee posted:

i haven't been in loving ages but i think they changed to an all-digital system that works like a points card, i don't think they do the currency-resembling canadian tirebux anymore

The one in Vancouver, which is infamous for having cut pretty much all staff except a greeter/customer service person and the people in the auto department, spits out Canadian Tire money from its self checkouts. (They only have self-checkouts because they can't afford/won't hire actual cashiers)

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

quote:

Non-profit companies will participate as well, with Wikipedia, the USO and RED among those claiming tags.

Lol at wikipedia stonewalling bitcoin donations for forever, yet immediately jumping onto this as soon as its available. :allears:

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
P sure in 200 years we will be mostly extinct as a result of the global warming caused by exponentially-growing Chinese bitocin mining farms anyways, so we may all as well jump on the bitcoin bandwagon now while we still can.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

This image works better upside down, because then it looks like the bitcoins are going down past the u-bend and into the lovely-smelling septic tank that is the brain of bitcoiners.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Pooptouching begets pooptouching. :doh:

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
What the gently caress is a "Brainwallet" ? Is that sperg-speak for "an encryption passphrase I remember instead of engraving onto a block of wood" ?

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
reddit.png

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

first the "Beverley Hills" thing with Robert Durst, now this. :eyepop:

e:

:pusheen:

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

DNova posted:

how can this be real

all we need now is a way to lump in BFL and everything will come full circle into a web of scams.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

KoRMaK posted:

o god that would be amazing. Crooked cops thinking they are too ahead of the game to get busted. They think they know all the proecudres and stuff thats getting documented so they can just side step it.

but then they forget that they have a screenrecorder and are logged into their work computer

Pretty sure this is a case study example of Dunning-Krueger.

:smug: : heh yea we know all about crypto we're pulling all the strings, there's no way we'll get caught. <has entire criminal history screencapped by federal agents because dude is doing it on his work computer>

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
I like how, at the end of the day, Bitstamp is the good guy who put a stop to Carl Mark Force IV and alerted his DEA superiors as to what was going on.

Good on you, Bitstamp. :unsmith:

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Nothing says libertarian free market drug emporium like relying on common law fiduciary duties and standards of care to keep your drug lords in check. :qq:

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

reddit: "I'll put my money in this exchange, even though i know Josh will steal it, because that's part of the fun game. :kiddo: "

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
tldr: it's the TOS equivalent of those idiots who post "I DO NOT CONSENT TO FACEBOOK USING MY PICTURES" on their facebook profiles and cite the magna carta or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
So it's been like a month, has that bitcoin ETF sold any shares at all yet? Last time it came up, about two weeks after it started, it was still sitting at 0. :haw:

• Locked thread