Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

All ranged staves in this game have infinite range (except for Unlock which is 1-2). Also if you want to go Levin Sword on Steve you'll need to promote first, Levin Swords are C-rank and Myrmidon (and all tier 1 classes) doesn't have innate weapon XP so Steve will have E-Swords. Swordmasters do have C-Swords, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

It's official, Steve has decided she wants to be a Levin Sword Myrmidon/Swordmaster, and it is now time for her to embrace that destiny!:black101:

Seriously, 4 Mag at level 12 is loving pathetic, even considering she's a Cleric. Time to cut our losses and just go physical, especially since Steve's gonna start at E-Swords and that she'll need to start training her weapon level up as soon as possible.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 9, 2015

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Stephen9001 posted:

But so far this game, the RNG has loved Ryan, so surely it stands to reason that it will hate Sirius.

Ryan's Speed (AKA "The most important stat by a wide margin") would beg to differ. The RNG is just trolling. Sure, the kid's got some power now, but by the end he'll be getting doubled by Generals.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Pirates will walk on water, just to cleave at you.

sorry not sorry

Anyhow, is this your first fort ambush?

Glazius fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 10, 2015

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Fire emblem fatigue is a real thing and can kill your interest for extended periods of time. I still haven't finished Awakening due to this crippling disease. :smith:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Glazius posted:

Pirates will walk on water, just to cleave at you.

sorry not sorry

Anyhow, is this your first fort ambush?

It's happened in a couple chapters (P7, 3 off the top of my head.), but I was ready for it. I had figured some guys might spawn from the forts, so I was like "Okay, I'll leave Arran here to mop up the two pirates or whatever", but I forgot that Arran was nearing his breaking point of being a monster in the early game and he couldn't fight off that many with a silver sword, and I didn't expect 3 each turn for 2 turns.

I've played through this game a few times, but my memory is awful about this kind of thing, and I've actually never beaten it on Hard. So some of this is new to me, but I figured it's more fun if I make mistakes then just clarivoyantly running through the levels knowing every single spawn point.

Darth TNT posted:

Fire emblem fatigue is a real thing and can kill your interest for extended periods of time. I still haven't finished Awakening due to this crippling disease. :smith:

I have actually never beaten the final boss of Sacred Stones. I have gotten to the last stage like twice, but I don't think I've ever really played it because I just get burned out. Hopefully I'll be able to do that soon.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
I don't think a picture of the male avatar's shave cut was posted:

It's pretty unremarkable, but we do get to freak Jagen out instead of Marth.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
It's worth taking Yumina along for healing when you've changed Malicia to a Mage; her growths aren't fantastic in any one area but they're solid across the board, including a much higher Defense than most magic users, and that and her low level give her a chance to surprise you. Her Magic's always going to be a little low, though.

Marth's high Luck actually makes him very good with Devil Swords! ...late in the game, when you have about ten Silver Swords in storage anyway.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Miacis posted:

:stare:

Bahumat
Oct 11, 2012

Miacis posted:

...Saitama, is that you?

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

Bahumat posted:

...Saitama, is that you?

Oh poo poo, I think his level goes beyond 30.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ArcadePark posted:

Oh poo poo, I think his level goes beyond 30.

...All his stats just say "yes".

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Einander posted:

It's worth taking Yumina along for healing when you've changed Malicia to a Mage; her growths aren't fantastic in any one area but they're solid across the board, including a much higher Defense than most magic users, and that and her low level give her a chance to surprise you. Her Magic's always going to be a little low, though.

Marth's high Luck actually makes him very good with Devil Swords! ...late in the game, when you have about ten Silver Swords in storage anyway.

Devil weaps are effected by Luck? Really?

This LP continues to surprise me with things I did not know about these games. Thanks, I'll edit that into the update.

Bahumat posted:

...Saitama, is that you?

I didn't know what you were talking about so I Googled "Saitama" and:

"Crabrante later appears in a park and discovers the child with the cleft chin. Just as he is about to finish him off the boy is saved by Saitama, who is also present there. It is revealed that the reason Crabrante wants to kill the child is because he drew nipples on his body with a permanent marker "

:wtc:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

onepunchman is really good

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

LordHippoman posted:

I didn't know what you were talking about so I Googled "Saitama" and:

"Crabrante later appears in a park and discovers the child with the cleft chin. Just as he is about to finish him off the boy is saved by Saitama, who is also present there. It is revealed that the reason Crabrante wants to kill the child is because he drew nipples on his body with a permanent marker "

:wtc:

Saitama is the main character of his series, and his gimmick is that he has no limits to his power.

In Fire Emblem, he would have no limits on levels or stats, without even going into promotion.

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!
Also, his portrait would be a villager, or some other random schmuck.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

It's -really- fuckin' funny. He's kind of a loser in terms of personality, but he's the strongest person anywhere and gives zero fucks about being so.

Oh no, there's a super strong monster on the street! *BLAMMO.* "Bitch there's a TIME SALE on EGGS, get out of my way." He lives alone in a tiny apartment and there's become something of a steady train of famous heroes and villains coming and going from this no-name's shithole pad. He's low-ranked in the hero listings because he just doesn't care

It's amazing. :swoon:

Bahumat
Oct 11, 2012
Oh, he certainly cares about HIS ranking, just not anyone else's.

Mainly because for most of his early hero career he hadn't registered as a hero so all his big fights got accredited to another guy.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

This sounds great and I might have to break my self imposed "don't read mangas" rule to check it out.

Anyway, update is going to come in a few days. I'm very busy...with...work... *shoves Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate case under couch*

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 18, 2015

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Just a quick update since I know it's been a while...

Sorry, there might be a bit of a delay, I had to be at the hospital yesterday (No worries, I'm okay now, just a leg thing) and I'm trying to get everything in order. Sadly I can't just Jagen joke and ramble about Steve's Mag. stat to fix all my problems. But it would help!

But as a quick teaser:
-4 pretty boring supports!
-We unlock Drill Grounds!
-Steve finally class changes and is a Myrmidon with 12 strength.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Just a quick update since I know it's been a while...

Sorry, there might be a bit of a delay, I had to be at the hospital yesterday (No worries, I'm okay now, just a leg thing) and I'm trying to get everything in order. Sadly I can't just Jagen joke and ramble about Steve's Mag. stat to fix all my problems. But it would help!

But as a quick teaser:
-4 pretty boring supports!
-We unlock Drill Grounds!
-Steve finally class changes and is a Myrmidon with 12 strength.

That just means you're not trying hard enough. :colbert:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 16: Samurai Steve (Prep)

Oh hey, it's Chapter 5 time. Last time around everything went to poo poo as Caeda revealed to us that Hardin had betrayed us and taken over Altea while Marth was off dicking around halfway across the continent.

But before we can deal with that, Marth kinda has to go free the country he accidentally helped the villains conquer. Whoops.

TURBAN IS BACK

Narrator: Hardin was once not only a comrade-in-arms,
but a trusted confidant and irreplaceable friend.
"Yet... why attack Altea? What have I done wrong?"
Filled with frustration, Marth hurried his return to his homeland,
but the first barrier stood in his way:
Olbern Keep, headquarters of the Grustian Occupation Army led by the evil General Lang...
also known as the "Nest of Evil."

Little on the nose with the name there. But we don't quite get the Prep screen yet...

: Archanea will not be an easy opponent. They have one of the most powerful militaries on the continent.

Well they are named after the continent.

: We're ready to face anything, sir. Although... we still lack experience, I admit. We have to grow stronger...

: Indeed. Steve, are you aware of the "drill grounds" that operate across the continent?

: Drill grounds, sir?

Metal G-ehhhh, not worth it.

: It costs a bit of money, but if you go practice in one, you can get stronger. It might be a good idea to let our more inexperienced men have a go.

For those of you who were wondering where the arenas were in this one, well, here's one!

The Drill Grounds can be accessed now at any time from the prep screen.

This lovely fellow owns it.

Any character that uses a weapon can use them (So no clerics/curates)

And you can see the combat forecast here. Note that you have to pay to fight here, which makes them less profitable than previous games' arenas, which treated the entrance money as a wager. You don't get any money back here.

You can press B to preemptively stop the match, but it won't end until a turn of combat goes by, so no cheating if you miss or something.

Warren does not have any problems.

And he gets a level out of it. Drill Grounds levels are a little different than normal. They're more fixed, so you have less chances of getting RNG screwed, but less of getting really lucky level ups. According to some posts on Serenes, this is based on the units Base Stat Growths.

So, for example, if you add up all of Warren's base stat growths, you get 215%. That 200 guarantees 2 Stat Ups, and there's a 15% chance of getting a 3rd stat. But, since he's a Hunter, you can add 75% to that, so there's a 90% chance of 3 stats.

Note that a lot of this seems to be mostly educated guesswork, because I couldn't find it proven anywhere. This game doesn't have as much info out there as some of the others due to its JP only release.

Drill Grounds are a good way of leveling characters that are struggling a bit and have good growths, but they can drain your money really quick, so if you like to forge weapons or buy a lot of them, use them sparingly.

You can also chain fights together to increase your max number of fights won in a row. I'm not sure if this does anything, but eh.

I went ahead and gave Julian a bit of a boost. (His total is 370%, so that theory is looking pretty solid)

And now it's time for...well, I didn't want to do this. Mage Steve was fun. It was also horribly depressing. Steve, I'm sorry. But it's better this way. We can actually use you.

And with that Steve has already hit the cap for Speed. drat.

But I will not forget her roots.

loving growth rates. Here's the map.

We start in the bottom right corner There's a short way around this river that leads to the fort, and a long way with a village in it, so much like Chapter 3, at least Marth will have to go the long way. Directly north of us we see two familiar faces, though...

yesssSSSS

And...oh. Cowlick II, Son of Cowlick.

Also a SILVER BOW SNIPER SQUAD :derp: This is not as scary as it looks. For reasons.

And here's the boss on the SW island. He's got a loving Ballista :(

Lots of Base Conversations today.

Pega-chess Knights

: ...Check.

: Ohhh... I-I don't believe it. I give up...

: The way you move your pieces is lacking in composure. Also, if you had focused on setting up a strong defense, it wouldn't have crumbled so easily.

: I see...

: You need to be more composed when observing the whole situation. Reading your opponent's movements, and focusing your attacks on what pieces you've lured... These are the basics of tactics.

Really the basics of tactics for you guys are "STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM ARROWS", but that works.

: ...You're right. Perhaps I was too impatient...

: Is there something on your mind?

Maybe the horrible war going on and your sister being missing in action in an occupied country? I dunno, spitballing here.

: Err...

: It hurts but you can't do anything about it, so you act recklessly as if running from that pain... That's how I see it.

: I'm no match for you, Palla... How did you figure out that much?

: Well... I didn't really...

: Alright, I'll make an effort to observe things with more composure. Something might change if I do... Thank you, Sister.

I don't think they outright say it in game, but Catria has a thing for Marth. He is both engaged and far too dense to notice, so nothing comes of it.

Steve Sniffs Stuff

: Princess Caeda, you've been cooking?

: Yes. I do hope Marth enjoys what I've made.

: Oh, that is nice of you. Then, if you'll allow me... Ah! It's delicious! It tastes really good.

: I'm glad you like it. Do you think Marth will like it too?

: Without a shadow of a doubt. It's delicious, after all. Though you're the princess of Talys, you're awfully skilled at cooking...

: Well, I may be a princess, but my motherland Talys is just a small island nation surrounded by the sea. I played around outside a lot during my childhood days. I hear they often called me a tomboy.

: I see... I never would have guessed. Oh, by the way...

: Hmm?

: Some time ago, you were our opponent during our training, Princess. I could scarcely believe a princess would fight us... I still remember my amazement at the time.

drat, yeah, that was like Prologue 3.

: Oh yes. That time, everyone begged me to quit, but... I suppose I truly am a tomboy, after all?

Riveting.

The Death Of Steve

Steve, swords are heavy, you can't use them like-

: Guh... Did I... go too far...? I'm feeling... dizzy...

Well, that was Fire Emblem 12. Hope you liked it.

: Steve!? A-are you all right?

: Dame Palla... I-I'm okay. Sorry you had to see that..

: You look unsteady. This isn't like you... What were you doing?

Class changing.

: The truth is... I thought I wasn't... training hard enough. So I decided to train five times harder...

:downs:

: How sudden... Then it's no wonder you collapsed.

: I-it's okay. "When training is hard, train even harder." My grandfather taught me that.

Well, the guy was friends with Jagen.

: That'll do you no good. You're pushing yourself too hard...! Here, sit down. Let's take a break.

: No, I can still...

: Let's. Take. A. Break.

: ...Yes ma'am.

: Yes, that's more like it. You won't get strong if you force yourself to train too hard. You need to understand your limits. Here's some water. Please have some.

: T-thank you...

: I'll get more if you need it, just ask. But that's enough training for now. Do you hear me?

: Yes...

She's pretty good at that.

Jagen Rage

: If we consider the speed of this invasion, the Grustian expedition and the rebellion in Macedon were no doubt traps. Make no mistake of it, the Archanean army is now our enemy. We will be returning to Altea. After going through the stronghold of Lang's occupation army, that is... We cannot let Lang be, especially after he ensnared our kingdom and tormented the people of Grust.

I would ask why Jagen didn't tell Marth Hardin might be betraying him, but knowing Jagen he probably suspects everyone of betraying them.

Axe-ing Ogma a Question

: Sir Ogma, is something troubling you?

: Yes, I am indeed troubled. About a former subordinate of mine... A man named Barst.

: Sir Barst... was it? When you say subordinate, you mean from Talys?

Steve just jams a "Sir" in front of everyone's name. Except Luke. For reasons.

: Yes, he used to be a mercenary fighting for King Talys and Princess Caeda, just like me. After the previous war was over, it seems he had an idea and left for Archanea.

"He had an idea" is like the vaguest possible thing.

: Then he's with the enemy?

: No, it seems he did join the Archanean army, but left it because he tired of fighting. If you happen to meet Barst... I'll talk to him. Leave it to me.

HINT HINT

Julian's Jam

: If I'm not mistaken, my pal lives around here.

: Your pal?

: Yeah, a thief called Rickard. I've washed my hands of thievery, but I hear Rickard continues his thievin' ways. If you see him, leave him to me. I'll persuade him to quit that shady business.

I'd rather you didn't, thieves are pretty useful.

Wrapping things up with a How's Everyone.

Thought you were taking a break with Steve, Palla :colbert:

Raking in that Bath EXP

Uh, congrats?

Another lovely sword. Thoroughly "meh".

Starting to wish I had killed you.

And that's it for this time. Hope everyone enjoyed mounds of dull dialogue!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Clearly you need to use Matthis on this map. The game is telling you something.

MoadDib
Apr 4, 2009

Lotish posted:

Clearly you need to sacrifice Matthis on this map. The game is telling you something.

Much better.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Do I understand it right, can your units really die from the arena training between missions?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Steve you fucker you better never gain another point of mag for as long as you live.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Do I understand it right, can your units really die from the arena training between missions?

Ha ha yep.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Survey says, Yep.

(I didn't save this.)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The guy running the training ground is all super casual about it, too. "Welp, idiot killed himself. Watcha gonna do?"

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

LordHippoman posted:

You can also chain fights together to increase your max number of fights won in a row. I'm not sure if this does anything, but eh.
One advantage to chaining fights is that your opponents increase in level, which increases the experience you get. Notice how the first opponent is level 2 and the second is level 5.

quote:

I went ahead and gave Julian a bit of a boost. (His total is 370%, so that theory is looking pretty solid)
I usually give Julian ~7-8 levels this way (spread out over a few chapters) to get him up to fighting shape.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Time for more localization chat!

In the original script, Jagen's dialogue amounted to: "Did you know there are things called 'training grounds'?

Really, Jagen, you don't fuckin' say?

The two changes of course were to first change it to Drill Grounds because that takes up less space graphically, and secondly, to make the dialogue less...stupid. One of the ideas we threw around were to call them arenas in the dialogue, but that was canned because obviously, arenas give you money, and these don't. Wrt the level ups in the drill grounds, your post is accurate.

Catria having a thing for Marth is one of the big FE traditions--where a pegasus knight who isn't a princess falls in love with a lord, and Cordelia in FE: Awakening is an homage to the tragic half of that tradition where it goes nowehere.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, if Talys trained against trees that might explain why an actual military took them apart.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Glazius posted:

Well, if Talys trained against trees that might explain why an actual military took them apart.

Too injured from the trees, no doubt.

They're a wily foe. Just ask all the dwarves. Oh, wait. There aren't any dwarves in Fire Emblem, you say?

That's because they were murdered by trees.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

chiasaur11 posted:

They're a wily foe. Just ask all the dwarves. Oh, wait. There aren't any dwarves in Fire Emblem, you say?

It is possible to die fighting a tree in Fire Emblem, no poo poo. I've had a few times I've given Hector a Devil Axe for the raw damage output to take out a tree in 2 turns instead of 3, and it backfired and killed him (resulting in an immediate Game Over because he's a Lord).

(I've also successfully killed Kishuna with that same Devil Axe, so I can't just give a blanket statement of "Devil weapons aren't worth the risk" cause sometimes they totally are.)

E: See also: my avatar. I almost forgot I had that.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

http://www.fireemblemwiki.org/Dozla

Dozla always looked kinda dwarfy to me.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Arran is really bad at finding weapons isn't he?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

Arran is really bad at finding weapons isn't he?

I think he's just rummaging through whatever the Fire Emblem equivalent of dumpsters are. He's sick anyway, he's not worried about any of that silly sanitation stuff.

Edit: Update might be a while again this time, busy time of year for me, sorry about that. Screencaps are done but putting the update together might take a while, it's a long one.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 28, 2015

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 16: Samurai Steve (Battle)
(Note: Since the usual database I use for portraits is down right now, the new characters in this update won't have them for now. I'll edit this post when I get them, but this one has been delayed long enough.

Edit: 3/9/15: All portraits are in place now.)

Last time, Steve finally reclassed after an unsuccessful career in magic, and we prepared to march to Lang's fortress in Grust.

But first, as always, How's Everyone?

Sleet is a pretty useless joke Tome.

More of these never hurts.

Steve is all gold, you rear end.

Oh poo poo I already used my joke for this text ABORT ABORT

As soon as the chapter begins, we get to see an old friend.

Not Toras. Lang.

Jeorge is a familiar name. He was a possible boss in the Prologue, and a Sniper in Shadow Dragon.

Here's someone else we might be familiar with.

Well, he is a Ballistician...

(Jeorge): Orders from Lang, huh? I'm not fond of that man. His treatment of our people is simply intolerable. To work beneath him is an insult.

Sounds like nobody likes Lang.

Generic Soldier: But, Captain! You'll be accused of treason! Captain?! You can't be planning to defect to Altea...

This isn't a blink, Jeorge actually has a separate eyes closed sprite, which is cool.

: If I were to defect now, I'd drag the entire platoon down with me. So for that reason alone, I will absolutely not take any risks that might besmirch our name.

Soldier Generic: Captain...

: Anyway, inform everyone: Do not move from your stations. However, if the enemy approaches, you may engage them.

Bolding is mine, because THIS IS IMPORTANT.

Lineup is the usual crew plus Ogma. I kept Arran around for one last hurrah. :unsmith: You might notice Julian isn't here even though Rickard is on this map. Well, Rickard is one of very few FE characters who can be recruited in multiple chapters. If we don't get him here, we can in Chapter 6, and I'd like to show that off.

Generic Thief though, has no such luck.

So, there's a short way to the boss over this bridge, but the long way around houses a village, so we'll be sending Marth that way. However, I'm going to send a few people down that way.

On the second turn, Ogma can reach Barst. (Note that Barst and Rickard won't run at you and attack, Rickard in fact is making a beeline for the top left corner.)

: Another war has started. Once again, I fight under Prince Marth's banner. Barst, lend us your strength. We need you.

: I got nothing to do with fighting now... Well, that's what I would say if you were anyone else. Captain, I owe you. You've saved our sorry asses on more occasions than one. Captain Ogma. Just say the word. I'll do whatever you want!

Barst is a really solid axe unit. He's pretty much the typical fighter character, high strength and HP, low accuracy and resistance. Lots of people like to make him a Pirate.

Cord can also recruit him, if you've been using him. Not Bord though. Nobody likes Bord.

These three mages you can see right over the blue box that advanced on us aren't going to be too big a threat. Catria uses one to get a nice level!

And one of these. I don't know if I've shown these off, but Pure Waters are consumables that can be used to boost your Resistance. It becomes less effective over time, but they have three charges.

...hot drat. That is the best Arran level I have ever seen. Not that I've seen that many. But this is a good note to end on.

:toot:

This thief is running for the hills, just like Rickard, but we can kill him. And he has a Master Seal. Which we will need to promote. After him!

The Lady Sword does a fuckton of damage. This was a double hit, so that guy was doomed. It was also around here I realized I forgot to bring a healer. Whoops.

Oh, and up top here is the reason I said it was important to listen to Jeorge. This big group of enemies won't come after you if you don't step into their attack range. To clarify, that's the 2 squares (unless you're on Lunatic...in which case he moves).

It's tempting to approach him, since he has Parthia on him, the game's Legendary Bow, which is extremely powerful, and he has a bishop behind him with a Physic staff, who can heal all the other enemies.

And no, he is not recruitable. yet. I don't even know why I'm putting this in Spoilers because it's pretty obvious.

...must not kill Rickard...

Vulnerary spam is a crux of any "forgot the healers" strategy.

So, I'm splitting the party into two groups. These guys (Barst, Ogma, Draug, and Ryan, from now on known as DELTA SQUAD) are going to go across the bridge and hit up the Ballistas and Knights.

These Cavaliers have Silver weapons, which means they can even put the hurt on Luke. But he dodged this hit. :smuggo:

Here's that Bishop in Jeorge's crew being obnoxious.

And here's where my plans started to fall apart. See that thief by the bridge? That's Rickard. The other thief ran past him. Since I can't kill Rickard, I can't pass through, and he's about to escape. So long, Master Seal. :smith:

Marth takes out his frustrations on this horse, as he is known to do.

Here's a better view of rear end in a top hat Thief and Bodyblock Rickard.

And a disappointing Luke level. :(

It looks like Arran can sneak around, but nope. That upper part of the map is just window dressing.

Meanwhile Delta Squad begins their excursion to the bridge. Ready for another example of poor planning?

Suddenly Dracoknight! It had...uh..been a while between updates. But Catria lives.

Palla here makes up for my failure to check for potential flying foes with her Silver Lancing skills.

Thankfully I remembered after this and managed to find the other 2 Dracoknights and mark their ranges so I would be less horribly hosed.

DELTA SQUAD is now within the range of the horrifying Ballista, so I'm using the forts to make them as evasive and bulky as I can for the time being.

The Stonehoist here is pretty powerful, but has the drawback of awful accuracy. Granted, he's on a fort, but 25% is still an ugly number.

It is useless against one as agile and pantsless as Barst.

Luke, give the nice flying lady your juicebox.

Operation Arran Bait is a go.

Stonehoist has a pretty great looking effect.

Little sad this one wasn't a one-shot.

That works.

These Knights are yet another obnoxious enemy that do not follow the "rush the player as soon as they're in range" rule.

Initiate follow up operation Luke Bait.

Ryan and Draug start down the path to the Knight danger zone, far from the helpful forts and into the range of yet another Ballista.

Also, as soon as this turn ends...

I've actually never had this happen before. If you take too long to reach the top left village, this guy spawns in the bottom left. It's one thief. He's not really a threat.

This bastard can be, though. He's got an Arrowspate. It's about as strong as the Stonehoist...

Leading to this terrifying moment. That was thankfully a miss. The Arrowspate is much more accurate, and counts as a bow weapon, meaning it will obliterate Catria/Palla without a second thought.

Draug picks up this nice level on the way.

Warren and Luke team up to fell the last Dracoknight.

And a pretty good level for Warren. I don't know if I'm really feeling him, but he might be worth keeping around.

Oh, and this :toot:

And yet another blow is struck in the Battle On The Big Bridge. Did I get that reference right? I haven't played FF5 in ages.

Played Bravely Default though. Just beat it. It was okay.

Look, I'm sorry, I can't give meaningful commentary to "Ogma drinks Vulnerary". This chapter is a lot like 3, it's a bit too long without many enemies to fight or anything else too interesting.

A crit from Ryan does wonders for my mood though. Also holy poo poo, Ryan's defense is great. I think it's higher than Draug's. He's taking no damage from that Javelin.

Finally though, it is village time.

I have some uh, bad news.

Villager: What, you don't know? I see... Th-then... Do you still want this Hammerne staff? At least, if Lena's pupil Malicia were around, I'm sure she could use it... Well, whatever be the case, I've no use for a souvenir. Please, make good use of it.

Sorry, gramps. :smith:

Sadly, the Hammerne here has only 3 uses. It's also only for Malicia (or Lena if/when we find her), but it can be really useful in keeping an expensive forged weapon alive or one of the game's Legendary weapons nice and maxed out on durability.

Delta Squad, ADVANCE :black101:

This is all that remains of that poor thief. More EXP for the peg knights.

One disadvantage of the Ballista is that it cannot hit anything within two squares. That creates a convenient safe zone for Barst here to take a Vulnerary.

Ryan begins the slow task of chipping down the Stonehoist.

Still no Speed...that's worrying. Everything else is great though.

Slowly moving the rest of the team over here.

Just realized I missed screencapping the cavaliers west of the boss. Just trust me. They were there, and now they are after Barst.

See?

One of the Cavs didn't come though...

MORE BLOOD FOR LUKE

This is what I mean about this chapter. It has been 12 turns and nothing interesting has happened since getting Barst on turn 2.

Honestly not sure why the boss is shooting for Ryan here. Irony with hitting an archer with the Arrowspate?

Back at the fort, though, Draug's sweet moves mean the last shot of the Stonehoist is for naught.

Goodbye, Stonehoist. gently caress you very much.

With just this Cavalier (soon to be chopped up by Barst) and the Arrowspate left in play, I feel confident moving Marth towards the castle.

Hitting a stationary cart of arrows still gets Ogma a pretty solid level.

It looks like Marth barely survived his perilous journey, but I had the Vulnerary if I needed it. Honestly this boss is a joke now that we have someone in range. Since he regens health, you could just sit here and hit him over and over for EXP if you wanted, but at this point I was like 15 minutes away from driving out to get Chinese, so gently caress it.

Marth doesn't hold that sword right.

See what happens when you do that? You only get 3 stats.

And that's the end of Toras.

This is a promising start to your career, Barst.

This is the second Starshard, and it gives +1 to Strength and Magic.

But before the chapter ends, I picked up one of each Steel weapon from the nearby Armory, and 3 Vulnerarys from the shop.

So, not recruiting Rickard bites me in the rear end again here. One of the more nefarious secrets in this game is the existence of Secret Shops, which have special inventory. There's one on this space, but you cannot access them without the VIP card. Rickard has it. So I'll have to miss this one. All it sells is one Master Seal, though.

:toot:

: Yes, I know. Lang must be stopped here and now. Or else we forsake the people of Grust.

: Sire. I, too, do not intend to let him go. Say the word and with these very hands...

Steve's new sword has made her all bloodthirsty again.

: Steve, we must take extra caution when fighting inside the castle!

Kind of a weird way to end it, but next time we get to confront Lang on his home turf. It's probably a nice place.

OR A NEST OF EVIL!

Next time we prepare for a showdown with the biggest rear end in a top hat we've encountered so far and to loot his house in...

Update 17: Any Number Of Puns That Involve The Word "Lang"

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 9, 2015

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
And the moral of the story is: Never don't recruit everyone ASAP.

quote:

By the way, this here is Ryan.png.

So, Barst is far and away the best native axe-user in the entire game, except for a well-built MU. His growth rates are very similar to Ogma's, though with a heavier focus on strength, obviously. While Bord and Cord have rather glaring weaknesses in one way or another, Barst is more less the perfect Fighter.

By the way, you really should start using your flyers to range ahead of your group to pick off cowards like that Master Seal thief. First time I played this, I had to start all over after reaching, like, chapter seventeen, because I played too conservatively, missed the Scorpio orb when the thief ran off with it, and didn't notice for half the drat game. Don't make my mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Barst is so close to being really good. He's got passable bases and good growths but not having C axes really robs him of the opportunity to get 3 or 4 easy levels with a hammer on this and the next map to jump start his stats. His bases are just low enough that it takes quite a bit of work to use him on Lunatic.

• Locked thread