Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

The smart thing to do would probably be to use them when as soon as you have a use for them, but I'm guessing most players will put them in a pile with the permanent stat boosters and then guzzle it all down before the final boss :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Glazius posted:

Single-chapter buff items.

Those seem like things you'll continuously save for later.

The Defense and Res ones especially can be really handy if you absolutely know you need somebody to block a chokepoint in a chapter. The Def. one could actually end up pretty useful in this one, if you're going for Radd and Caesar.

Others can be pretty nice for low level character's you're leveling. I don't think they work in Drill Grounds, but it'd be interesting to check.

vilkacis posted:

The smart thing to do would probably be to use them when as soon as you have a use for them, but I'm guessing most players will put them in a pile with the permanent stat boosters and then guzzle it all down before the final boss :v:

This is likely what is going to happen though. You've all seen my planning skills in this LP.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LordHippoMan master of puns? posted:

punchinthefacebook
:gonk:

Man, Ryan wasn't happy with Steve trying to read his letters was he?

vilkacis posted:

I used to just give them to my favorite characters, it's only recently that I started saving them up for the final stretch of the game. :shrug:
Back when I was stupid and played fire emblem for the first time that went really well.
:v: "Here Sothe, have some strength enhancers. You'll hit harder. What are maximum stats? :downs: "

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Darth TNT posted:

:gonk:

Man, Ryan wasn't happy with Steve trying to read his letters was he?

Shows what he knows, Steve can't even read. That's why she's so bad at magic.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

I was thinking about removing that joke. Then I remembered extermi-frey-tor and I thought "Can't get any worse. And someone pointed that one out."

So that one was just for you, Darth TNT! :v:

Testekill posted:

Shows what he knows, Steve can't even read. That's why she's so bad at magic.

Even with the sweet Wrys cut Steve couldn't gain Magic. I think she just prefers to bludgeon people.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

I was thinking about removing that joke. Then I remembered extermi-frey-tor and I thought "Can't get any worse. And someone pointed that one out."

So that one was just for you, Darth TNT! :v:

Even with the sweet Wrys cut Steve couldn't gain Magic. I think she just prefers to bludgeon people.

Extrimi-Frey-tor was the worst pun I ever read. I can't even properly pronounce it in my mind. And now you've gone and put the blame on me for this one and probably the other one in this update as well, I'm sorry everyone. :suicide:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Darth TNT posted:

Extrimi-Frey-tor was the worst pun I ever read. I can't even properly pronounce it in my mind. And now you've gone and put the blame on me for this one and probably the other one in this update as well, I'm sorry everyone. :suicide:

As I look upon Darth TNT's bloody corpse I can only wonder one thing. Who will be the next blood sacrifice unto our divine lord of puns?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

As I look upon Darth TNT's bloody corpse I can only wonder one thing. Who will be the next blood sacrifice unto our divine lord of puns?

If I had my way it would be Matthis. But alas, I have sworn to recruit everyone, even the most useless, douchiest, possibly incestious, pompadouriest characters.

I'm trying to think of someone later I dislike more than Matthis but it honestly just stumps me. My memory is fuzzy of some of the later characters though, especially (very minor spoilers) The Sable Knights who join you in a pack of 3 right after the lava chapter just to say "Hey, all the BS FE characters are in this!

Oh, also, I figured this would be a good time to ask, does anybody have strong opinions about me reclassing Caeda? I was considering having her go Cavalier, so she can keep Wing Spear and still be pretty mobile. Her STR would blow, but she'd be a pretty good counterpart to Luke because Rody didn't turn out great. But if you'd rather me keep her Peg Knight or go Archer or something like that, let me know, I want to keep reclassing open, because so far my party is looking pretty standard, so one or two weird units won't be the end of the world. More fun that way.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Cavalier has a higher base strength and higher strength growth than Pegasus Knight so it's always a good idea to make Ceada one.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

LordHippoman posted:

If I had my way it would be Matthis. But alas, I have sworn to recruit everyone, even the most useless, douchiest, possibly incestious, pompadouriest characters.

I'm trying to think of someone later I dislike more than Matthis but it honestly just stumps me. My memory is fuzzy of some of the later characters though, especially (very minor spoilers) The Sable Knights who join you in a pack of 3 right after the lava chapter just to say "Hey, all the BS FE characters are in this!

Oh, also, I figured this would be a good time to ask, does anybody have strong opinions about me reclassing Caeda? I was considering having her go Cavalier, so she can keep Wing Spear and still be pretty mobile. Her STR would blow, but she'd be a pretty good counterpart to Luke because Rody didn't turn out great. But if you'd rather me keep her Peg Knight or go Archer or something like that, let me know, I want to keep reclassing open, because so far my party is looking pretty standard, so one or two weird units won't be the end of the world. More fun that way.

There is no reason whatsoever not to have a Pegasus Knight as a Cavalier any time they don't really need flying--higher STR, higher DEF, higher growths for both, they can train swords for Falcoknight, they get terrain bonuses, they don't explode when you shoot them, no wind weakness (though there's not much of the last, admittedly). Palla is basically the one exception, since her base SPD growth is rear end, but that just takes her from "will almost certainly max it" to "will very likely max it."

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

LordHippoman posted:

Funny story, this LP got me back into New Mystery and I decided to kick Matthis into gear and use him for once.
He just managed to avoid an attack, crit the guy attacking him on a 2% chance and get a perfect level :psyduck:
For those wondering, Matthis getting a perfect level is a 0,590625% chance as an archer (which he currently is)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Einander posted:

There is no reason whatsoever not to have a Pegasus Knight as a Cavalier any time they don't really need flying--higher STR, higher DEF, higher growths for both, they can train swords for Falcoknight, they get terrain bonuses, they don't explode when you shoot them, no wind weakness (though there's not much of the last, admittedly). Palla is basically the one exception, since her base SPD growth is rear end, but that just takes her from "will almost certainly max it" to "will very likely max it."

On the other hand, Palla basically doesn't need growth rates, her bases alone are amazing.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 18: The Hat (Battle)

So, uh, I have a confession to make. Two, really. I totally didn't show the fancy way to do this chapter. I got by, but a lot of it was just my units stats being in the right spots. Secondly, I remembered wrong, and this is not the chapter where we get The Hat. So make up your own title. Anyway, you know the drill for the start of these by now.

Seriously, who keeps leaving these around?

Well, you have to be a massive hypocrite about it first.

Oh, I used this on Barst because I thought it might be needed due to his low Def (It wasn't.)

I also gave Steve Libra to help her dodge poo poo.

Caeda also gets the Cancer shard and ascends to her new class of "Non-Winged Horse"

Wait, hold on a sec. Didn't Jagen say we saw these guys ahead of time? How the gently caress did they surround us? Goddammit, Jagen.

: I see. However, don't lower your guard. Our enemy is the Altean army... We know how strong they are.

: But Caesar, are you really fine with this? We did fight under Altea's banner in the previous war...

: We're mercenaries. We have no liege. I need gold, and will do anything for it. Even selling my soul to the devil.

Souls are probably still worth less than those large Bullions. 10,000, drat.

: Gold, huh... Indeed, when we get the reward from Emperor Hardin... I'm sure we could save her. Alright, let's do it, Caesar!

: Radd, there's no need for you to follow me. My sister is my business. The Altean army is strong. You'll die if you're careless.

: I'm doing this for my own interests, too. So I'll tag along with you, Caesar. As I always have, and always will.

: Very well. Then, let's go!

Meanwhile, on the top part of this tiny map and probably within earshot of everyone...

: Yeah, yeah. It's finally my turn now. Weeheehee. Together with those mercenaries, we'll give Marth a royal funeral.

Roro is back, and he's picked up the ability to make puns.

: It seems some of those mercenaries were Marth's allies in the previous war. I do wonder if they'll be of any use.

: So what? Doesn't matter. If they're useless, all I have to do is kill him myself.

: Bah, I don't like you getting the best part. Oh well, do whatever you want.

Well, last time you had a chance you ran away...

Okay, here we go. This chapter is kind of puzzle-y if you want to recruit Caesar and Radd. Talking to them doesn't do a thing. To recruit them, you just have to finish the map with them alive, like Horace in FE11. Because of that, I brought a bunch of units with high defense, like Sirius, Luke, and...Ryan, somehow. (No seriously, he has the highest Def.)

First things first, this knight needs to go down. After Rapier, all that was left of him was this Vulnerary.

Steve crits one of the fighters to death.

And here's one of the central mechanics here. You can unequip a unit's weapon to prevent them from making counterattacks. I was worried Radd would go for Luke, and Luke would kill him on the counter, so I de-equipped his weapon to prevent that.

Barst and Caeda finish off the other fighter.

As soon as the enemy turn starts, Roro tosses his Hand Axe at Steve. Sadly for our masked pal, he had a 13% chance to hit. You can guess how that went.

I moved Sirius to block the other bridge, but forgot to unequip his weapon. :v:

Somehow, by the grace of the Fire Emblem gods, this does not end up biting me in the rear end.

I'll take that.

Meanwhile, the fighters charge Marth, and give him a nice level up in Swords. Thanks, guys!

Unequipping this now in case this goes another turn, because, uh.

This was a close call.

A Caeda and Luke tag team finishes off the fighter here.

Barst goes south and unequips to block the remaining fighter (And Radd if he comes this way.)

Ryan moves to block the last bridge Radd can cross, but I don't have to unequip his weapon. Thanks, bows!

Instead of beating up on the defenseless Sirius, Caesar decides to run all the way down there and pop a Vulnerary.

No damage. :smuggo:

Time for the epic confrontation with Roro.

Steve Crit him. One shot. Hail our blinded lady of bad haircuts.

I'm not going to do that "People die if you kill them" picture. Look it up if you want that joke.

And Steve leve-

levels..

:stonk:

:stonklol:

i cleared the rest of the enemies.

:toot: I guess

: I surrender. Kill me or whatever.

Squall joke hahaha STEVE GAINED MAG

: Caesar, I'd like to hire you and Radd if possible. I want you to come with us. You and Radd fought by my side in the previous war. You're both my comrades.

I should note that Radd doesn't even speak throughout the rest of this scene. I think he's just too ashamed of doing zero damage to the bow wielding 17 year old child.

steve gained mag

: Prince, forgive me, but we're mercenaries. All we did in the previous war was fulfill our duties as hired swords.

: It might have been just a job for you two... But not to me. Both of you are my precious comrades. You were then, and still are now.

I get the feeling Marth is that kind of guy who sends Christmas cards to every cashier he meets.

: Prince... I appreciate your willingness to say such kind words to mercenaries like us. However, at the end of the day, we're hired swords. Therefore, we ask for gold. Prince, Archanea occupies your country. It's obvious you don't have the extra resources needed to pay us.

How high are their rates if two guys require an entire country's treasury to hire them? They aren't even very good.

: Well, you have a point...

: Gold shouldn't be an issue. Prince Marth will reclaim Altea, our homeland. Altea may be occupied by Archanea now, but we shall defeat them. And then, you'll have the gold you seek.

: Do you... honestly think you stand a chance? Against a powerful kingdom like Archanea?

: Of course. Besides, I'm sure you don't have a choice, at this point. Since you've failed your mission, Archanea won't pay you the gold you seek anymore. If you're a hired sword working for gold, following Prince Marth would serve your interests better. Am I wrong?

Steve, master of Economics.

and gaining mag loving what really now you do that NOW

: ...Indeed, your argument is sound. As we've failed, we have no other options. Prince Marth, Radd and I are now your hired swords. We shall accompany you for as long as you wish us to.

: Thank you, Caesar.

This is a good point to mention that Roro's name in the translation for Awakening is "Legion". That should start making sense now.

: Sigh, whatever. So, are you the real Roro? Or just another clone?

:
Who knows? I forgot. Weeheehee. The Alteans are strong. Next time, I'll bring all my brothers.

Yeah, we still haven't seen the last of him. But we have another returning character awaiting us in the next chapter. See if you can guess who it might be.

fuckin' hell

Next time, Update 19: Will the real Slim Swordsman please stand up? (And the real hat)

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
Wow.

I... I guess she really wants a Levin Sword.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Oh this isn't right at all.

Clearly we need to reclass Steve back to a mage so she can get the proper amount of strength. :v:

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.
Caesar and Radd are part of my biggest complaint with this game: it's tendency to pick "favourites", so to speak. Just check out Caesar and Ogma. In Shadow Dragon, they were mostly interchangeable, with Caesar turning out faster, and Ogma being sturdier (if I remember correctly). Yet in this game, they decided to make Ogma one of the strongest characters in the game to the point where his base speed is so high that even Caesar's better growth fails to overtake Ogma's.
I can still understand Caesar being worse than Ogma, because he is a replacement, and he is worse because "gently caress you for being bad at our game", but Navarre, who we get next chapter is the biggest offender in my opinion. He is just so much better than Samto and Radd, hell, he makes a case for being the best male unit in the game. Especially considering how IntSys pushes him on you, which the map of the next chapter should explain pretty clearly.
Especially Samto irks me, to me he looks a lot like that weak character that some writers create JUST to show how awesome their favourite character is, and that's not what I like in a Fire Emblem game. I mean, I don't want to be punished with bad stats just because I think Samto looks cool. I'd also mention Caesar and Radd, but at the very least they are still good characters, just overshadowed. This game has a ton of examples like this, but I feel like I've been bitching too much already.
I'm just spoiled by Awakening's "everybody is a god!"-attitude, I suppose.
I hope this wasn't too bitchy, but if it was, I'll happily edit it out.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i marathoned this LP, owns so far

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

LifeofaGuardian posted:

Caesar and Radd are part of my biggest complaint with this game: it's tendency to pick "favourites", so to speak. Just check out Caesar and Ogma. In Shadow Dragon, they were mostly interchangeable, with Caesar turning out faster, and Ogma being sturdier (if I remember correctly). Yet in this game, they decided to make Ogma one of the strongest characters in the game to the point where his base speed is so high that even Caesar's better growth fails to overtake Ogma's.
I can still understand Caesar being worse than Ogma, because he is a replacement, and he is worse because "gently caress you for being bad at our game", but Navarre, who we get next chapter is the biggest offender in my opinion. He is just so much better than Samto and Radd, hell, he makes a case for being the best male unit in the game. Especially considering how IntSys pushes him on you, which the map of the next chapter should explain pretty clearly.
Especially Samto irks me, to me he looks a lot like that weak character that some writers create JUST to show how awesome their favourite character is, and that's not what I like in a Fire Emblem game. I mean, I don't want to be punished with bad stats just because I think Samto looks cool. I'd also mention Caesar and Radd, but at the very least they are still good characters, just overshadowed. This game has a ton of examples like this, but I feel like I've been bitching too much already.
I'm just spoiled by Awakening's "everybody is a god!"-attitude, I suppose.
I hope this wasn't too bitchy, but if it was, I'll happily edit it out.

Yeah, this is something a lot of early FE games tend to do. It's gotten better as of the newer ones (Like you mentioned, everyone is good in Awakening), but some aspects of this game do still suffer from the original version being a SNES title. Although there's really no excuse for this chapter, since it was added in for the remake, and Radd/Caesar with it, so they could have been made better without messing with the original game too much.

Samto is sort of a joke character, I think. His whole punchline is "Haha, you thought you were getting Navarre? gently caress you", and he's sort of portrayed as this bumbling idiot mooching off of the reputation of someone who is actually well known. Though I agree, his stats could have been better to make you at least consider using him.

Navarre in particular is a weird case for me. He gets a ton of buildup, with the whole Samto thing and being predominantly featured in his own major chapter, as well as a bonus map that revolves around him and Ogma, but he's not really a plot relevant character. FE1 was made around the time that "badass stoic long haired swordsman" was still a really popular character type to use though, so I dunno, that might contribute to it. I definitely think he was a developer favorite, considering just how much his likeness and archetype tend to get used in future games. He was also one of the only old characters to get new art drawn for Shadow Dragon.

Honestly, from a few chapters from now, a lot of the recruits start to fall off in usefulness. And nah, I don't think you're bitching too much, I like this game, but I won't defend every little thing about it. It's not perfect.

Eonwe posted:

i marathoned this LP, owns so far

Thanks, I dig that elephant with the mug avatar. I could watch that thing all day.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

It also doesn't help that this game has a massive wall of recruits to choose from, so I guess to balance that out, IS decided that the bulk of your potential units aren't going to be THAT amazing, while some could be okay if you class changed them??

Admittedly I'm not an expert on Shadow Dragon or this game, I played both and even then I don't know if I made optimal plays. But in, say, Fire Emblem 7 or 9, each unit has A Point to them, while both of Marth's remade games gives you so many units and few of them have a lot of relevance. Though New Dragon at least gives you supports. Never would I think I would see a support about a fangirl really wanting to be with Marth. That's... Simply magical.

The point to my Words really is that I'd prefer it more for FE games to have a more balanced group of units, that you would consider over others. Like how there are different cavs in 7 and 9 who not only have different growths, but can surprise you if Lowen suddenly is a god.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

LightningKimba posted:

It also doesn't help that this game has a massive wall of recruits to choose from, so I guess to balance that out, IS decided that the bulk of your potential units aren't going to be THAT amazing, while some could be okay if you class changed them??

Admittedly I'm not an expert on Shadow Dragon or this game, I played both and even then I don't know if I made optimal plays. But in, say, Fire Emblem 7 or 9, each unit has A Point to them, while both of Marth's remade games gives you so many units and few of them have a lot of relevance. Though New Dragon at least gives you supports. Never would I think I would see a support about a fangirl really wanting to be with Marth. That's... Simply magical.

The point to my Words really is that I'd prefer it more for FE games to have a more balanced group of units, that you would consider over others. Like how there are different cavs in 7 and 9 who not only have different growths, but can surprise you if Lowen suddenly is a god.

Yeah, I prefer having few recruits that are all incredibly competent or at least all just as good (or just as bad. Looking at you SD) over games where you get a bunch of terrible or merely ok units and a few that are simply godlike, like this one. Even if you have to do some enormous grinding to get them going, I don't mind, as long as they have a great chance of becoming good. I mean, I'm the guy who managed to give Fiona 6 levels in the first stage she was available in. Yet characters like Matthis (mine got a perfect level and his stats are still garbage) just tick me off, the characters that have no purpose other than to give you some more cannon fodder, especially if they are cool looking characters like Samto or funny ones like Rickard. I mean, Matthis is pretty unlikable, so it's not that much of a problem, but still...

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

God drat it, Steve.

LordHippoman posted:

As soon as the enemy turn starts, Roro tosses his Hand Axe at Steve. Sadly for our masked pal, he had a 13% chance to hit. You can guess how that went.

He crit for 93 damage, you swore a lot and reset the game? :v:

Eh, I'd rather have the characters who get hyped by the plot be justified in that. Ogma and Nabavarara are considered the best in their field. It'd be pretty disappointing if they were interchangable with these no-name scrubs.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
When you get right down to it, every Fire Emblem prior to Awakening had a small list of "best" characters and everyone else was varying degrees of mediocre. The sole exception being FE4, just because the cast is so small, and even then, there were a few characters who just plain weren't as good as the others (lookin' at you, Arden).

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Awakening isn't really an exception. There are still plenty of characters that are significantly better than the rest of the cast.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

vilkacis posted:

Eh, I'd rather have the characters who get hyped by the plot be justified in that. Ogma and Nabavarara are considered the best in their field. It'd be pretty disappointing if they were interchangable with these no-name scrubs.

I suppose so, I wouldn't mind them being "better" than the others, I just mind that they are SO MUCH better that the game almost punishes you for not using them by giving the characters you like more bad stats. As I said, this is pretty minor in most cases, but I always thought Navarre sticks out just because of where in the level he starts: smack dab in the middle of a huge bunch of thieves, with bases high enough to kill the thieves with the dancer-that-just-so-happens-to-be-right-there's help, a killing edge and a thief with a droppable Iron Sword nearby to conserve said killing edge

WrightOfWay posted:

Awakening isn't really an exception. There are still plenty of characters that are significantly better than the rest of the cast.

Well, yes, but there are no characters that are explicitly "bad", like Matthis is for example, except maybe Frederick if you're not reclassing. Hell, even my Ricken doesn't give a poo poo about not being able to double, he has so much magic he one-shots most things anyway. For example, in Awakening you'll never have a character that looks like this
(I was serious about using him earlier :colbert:)

vvv funny thing, my Maribelle has always turned out godly, dodging everything and murdering the hell out of it in return. Never had a great Lissa though, I'll give you that one.

LifeofaGuardian fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 4, 2015

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I dunno, I'd say Lissa/Maribelle stand a fair chance of 'looking like that' because of their god-awful loving bases.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Maribelle never turned out bad for me, either she was extremely fragile, or both a Thunderslinger/healing monster.

She also starts off being on a horse. Mobility is good.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

LordHippoman posted:

Honestly, from a few chapters from now, a lot of the recruits start to fall off in usefulness. And nah, I don't think you're bitching too much, I like this game, but I won't defend every little thing about it. It's not perfect.
Really it boils down to all the mostly-interchangeable characters this game throws at you. By the time this chapter rolls around you've already got not just Ogma but a bunch of other good sword users like Marth, Luke, Rody, Cecille, Sirius, Julian, Frey, and three fliers who do great as temporary Cavaliers: Caeda, Palla, Catria. That's already 11 potential sword users who are almost guaranteed to be as good or better than Caesar and Radd. And here you've also got Myrmidon Steve, which just adds insult to injury.

Also, the dodge formula in this game means that speed-based characters (aka Merc/Myrmidons/Thieves) aren't as good here as they would be in other games. Caesar has really good bases for any of the GBA games, but he doesn't have the GBA games dodge formula.

Finally, presented without with one comment:

fade5 posted:

Okay now Steve has to be a Myrmidon.

Hell, Myrmidons ever have a 5% Magic growth, so maybe that'll be what it takes to finally get Steve some Magic.

LordHippoman posted:

If that works the LP might be over because I will spin into a cycle of madness that ends in me somehow unhinging my jaw and swallowing the laptop, which would ironically probably be one of the lesser tech issues that has popped up so far.

LordHippoman posted:

And Steve leve-

levels..

fuckin' hell
I await your (continued) descent into madness.:v:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, Steve finally gained magic.

Next thing you'll tell me Ryan is about to go on a binge of +1s to his speed.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Re: the whole character favorites thing, I imagine it was the developpers' way of pointing struggling players towards some "safe" units to use. With more or less subtlety depending on the game. Because let's be honest, pretty much all "bad" or outmatched Fire emblem characters are usable and still going to kick vast amounts of rear end in the endgame.

So I say, if you want to use Samto, just use him. And really, why wouldn't you use Samto?

(On that topic, it'd be pretty cool if we could get some base conversations sprinkled here and there for characters we don't see in battle. There are some pretty interesting/funny bits in there.)

Miacis fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 5, 2015

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Miacis posted:

(On that topic, it'd be pretty cool if we could get some base conversations sprinkled here and there for characters we don't see in battle. There are some pretty interesting/funny bits in there.)

Luke/Rody was a really fun dynamic to write!

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student
You know the thing that bothers me about Samto is that they could have done something like give him a ridiculous magic growth or a high strength and defense growth to make it him somewhat viable as someone you want to reclass, and kept his status as a joke character, instead of just making him literally worse than or equal Navarre in every single growth rate, at least.

Of note is the fact that Yubello was somewhat halfway decent in the original FE3, his power growth of 50% was ridiculously high for a mage in that game (Merric and Linda has 20% each and the next highest power growth of all the mages was Malliesia at 30%), but unfortunately the creators of FE12 decided to increased the magic growth of all the mages EXCEPT Yubello (If they wanted to scale how high it was properly with growth inflation it should be around 80% IMHO), also that one magic is the base power mages had in FE3, not lower, Yubello should have 3 magic if the designers imported the stats appropriately instead of copying and pasting without realizing the how that effected the characters, the fact the FE12 game designers had no idea how to balance base stats in FE12 (or didn't bother putting the effort to try) becomes INCREDIBLY blatant when we see more pre promoted units, even with the new characters they added, its obvious they compared there bases to the already existing pre promotes you get at the time, rather than the enemies you're fighting.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

fade5 posted:

I await your (continued) descent into madness.:v:

I briefly considered writing the rest of the update backwards, then I realized that would be annoying as hell both to read and write and not really that funny.

Miacis posted:

SC Bracer posted:

Luke/Rody was a really fun dynamic to write!

Thanks for pointing this out. This is actually my first time playing this game in English, so all these supports are mostly new to me too, aside from the ones I heard about while the fan translation was going on. So I really wanted to show a lot of them off, but I just couldn't in one playthrough. But the scripts are available on Serenes now, and if I just put a "Hey, I didn't actually get this one, don't get too confused" warning, I could probably add an extra one or two into the Prep updates, since those are the "This is mostly dialogue, skip it if you just want to see the main game" ones. Or separate quick updates might work as well. I'll experiment a bit.

If there are any in particular you'd like to see, let me know. It sounds like people definitely want to see Samto and Luke/Rody, and I want to show off Arran because of just how :smith: it is.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

LordHippoman posted:

I briefly considered writing the rest of the update backwards, then I realized that would be annoying as hell both to read and write and not really that funny.

Thanks for pointing this out. This is actually my first time playing this game in English, so all these supports are mostly new to me too, aside from the ones I heard about while the fan translation was going on. So I really wanted to show a lot of them off, but I just couldn't in one playthrough. But the scripts are available on Serenes now, and if I just put a "Hey, I didn't actually get this one, don't get too confused" warning, I could probably add an extra one or two into the Prep updates, since those are the "This is mostly dialogue, skip it if you just want to see the main game" ones. Or separate quick updates might work as well. I'll experiment a bit.

If there are any in particular you'd like to see, let me know. It sounds like people definitely want to see Samto and Luke/Rody, and I want to show off Arran because of just how :smith: it is.

If it would make life easier for you, I do have a save in my dropbox that has the entire event recap unlocked. Just make sure you back up your own save, so that you don't lose it, first. I also have the scripts but they're covered in textcodes and :effort:

e: going through it, it's been so long and there are moments where I'm just like dear god I loving sucked as a writer back then. Kind of amazing what a few years of college can do to your writing skills.

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 5, 2015

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

You can do supports the same way some other people did, just upload them whenever you don't have time for a full update. I know I want to see some supports from the billions of characters that nobody uses, because it's most of the time the only way to get to know some people.

weso12 posted:

You know the thing that bothers me about Samto is that they could have done something like give him a ridiculous magic growth or a high strength and defense growth to make it him somewhat viable as someone you want to reclass, and kept his status as a joke character, instead of just making him literally worse than or equal Navarre in every single growth rate, at least.

This is the kind of stuff I prefer as well. Make the joke characters have a bit of a niche they can fulfill, like Cord, who makes a surprisingly good Dark Mage. I really like Cord, though, so I may be biased.

Miacis posted:

Re: the whole character favorites thing, I imagine it was the developpers' way of pointing struggling players towards some "safe" units to use. With more or less subtlety depending on the game. Because let's be honest, pretty much all "bad" or outmatched Fire emblem characters are usable and still going to kick vast amounts of rear end in the endgame.

So I say, if you want to use Samto, just use him.

This is true, but my biggest problem is just that they are very unsubtle in this game, they kind of push their favorites to the point where I feel they are heading into Mary-Sue territory.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

SC Bracer posted:

If it would make life easier for you, I do have a save in my dropbox that has the entire event recap unlocked. Just make sure you back up your own save, so that you don't lose it, first. I also have the scripts but they're covered in textcodes and :effort:

Thanks, but I think I can just use the Serenes scripts. They seem to all be updated, and the only thing we're really missing out on is the background...which is the same every time.

LifeofaGuardian posted:

You can do supports the same way some other people did, just upload them whenever you don't have time for a full update. I know I want to see some supports from the billions of characters that nobody uses, because it's most of the time the only way to get to know some people.

I'll probably end up doing that soon. That's a good idea.

Oh, and I cleaned up the OP so it's not a horrible mess of incredibly long links anymore. The Support updates will probably be under their own heading in there.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Levin Sword here we come.

And I'm one of those people who likes Norne because she actually makes a pretty darn good General when I use her, and I like to have heavily armored ladies when I can.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Lotish posted:

Levin Sword here we come.

And I'm one of those people who likes Norne because she actually makes a pretty darn good General when I use her, and I like to have heavily armored ladies when I can.

This is kind of amusing when you consider that Norne and Draug are an item, according to supplementary materials.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

This is kind of amusing when you consider that Norne and Draug are an item, according to supplementary materials.

Even more amusing that Norne makes a great General while I think somebody said either in this thread or Tenacrane's that Draug makes a much better Hunter/Sniper

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

LifeofaGuardian posted:

Even more amusing that Norne makes a great General while I think somebody said either in this thread or Tenacrane's that Draug makes a much better Hunter/Sniper
That was me/general reclassing advice I got from Serenes:

fade5 posted:

Draug as a Hunter is a useful physical reclass since he's good as a Hunter and can also use the Bow EXP as a General.
As a reclassed Hunter, Draug has great bases coupled with great growths:
HP: 60%
Strength: 45%
Skill: 45%
Speed: 75%
Luck: 40%
Defense: 30%

I personally tried out Hunter Draug on a New Mystery playthrough and he was an absolute beast the whole time. After reclassing his only weak point is his no longer good defense, but since he's a Hunter he attacks from a distance anyway. Once he promotes he can either be an awesome Horseman/Sniper, or he can reclass back to a General with high Strength/high Defense/capped Speed and great weapons ranks in both Lances and Bows.

Either way, he kills EVERYTHING.:getin:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Bonus Supports 1: Samto, Luke/Rody, Norne

So, based on thread feedback, I decided to try this out. Since this game has such an enormous cast, we're probably never going to see much of most of them.

It's a shame, because one reason I like this game a lot better than Shadow Dragon is that every character has base conversations, and thus some sort of personality, which is more than what most of the characters in SD got. (Bord and Cord didn't have a single line.)

Thankfully, the fan translation team transcribed all the base conversations, so I can still post them. If there's anyone in particular you'd like to see the conversations for, feel free to mention it. For this first update, I'm going with the first conversations for Samto and Norne with Steve, and the first shared support between Luke and Rody.

Not-Varre (Samto 1)

: Don't move...

: Ah!

Oh no, I wonder who it could be.

: I don't care who... Tonight, my killing edge hungers for blood...

You see, this is what you're doing wrong, Samto, that's Karel's gimmick, not Na/va/ba/rre/arl's.

: Wha...

: But... I'll let you live... I'll turn no blade of mine against a woman... Especially not one as beautiful as you.

And now you're doing Sain, get your drat characters right. :colbert:

: B-beautiful? What the? Don't tell me...! Sir Samto!?

: Huh? How curious. You had me figured.

: I knew it!

: What you reckon? I looked exactly like him didn't I? It's pretty nifty for getting out of sticky situations as well, since everybody runs in fear once they catch a glimpse of me! I love it when the girls squeal too.

:stonk:

: That facade again...? I don't think Prince Marth will be happy to find you're just playing around.

: Oh, sorry 'bout that, but y'see... I'm not just playing around. I was serious when I said you're beautiful, Steve.

: Wha...!? P-please stop joking! If you'll excuse me!

: Oh, hey Steve. That look of embarrassment on her face was priceless. So she does have a cute side too!

I hope you're all happy with the choices you have made.

World's Shortest Support (Norne 1)

: Aaaah!

: Miss Norne! Are you alright?

: I'm sorry, Steve. I can be such a klutz sometimes... Oh dear, I dropped my luggage. I should go pick it up...

: Let me help you.

: T-thanks. Oh, Steve. Since we're comrades, could we drop the formalities? We're about the same age and it'd be nice if I could talk normally to new knights like you.

: Hm... all right. Yeah, I'd prefer it your way too. Is this okay, Norne?

: Yeah, that's the spirit. All right then, Steve! I'm countin' on you.

: Likewise.

Well. That was...uh...:geno:

I'll do the second one too.

Grandpa Lore (Norne 2)

: ...So, I met Prince Marth when he was escapin' from Altea. Bein' an archer, I decided it was my duty to fight for him.

I thought that wasn't canon :goonsay:

: So that's what happened. At that time, I was still studying day and night back in my village...

I like to think Steve was still totally unaware that for about two years her country was occupied by a country full of dragon-people.

: What village might that be, Steve?

: Sera. It's fairly small.

: Huh, Sera village? You mean the one just over the mountain from my own village?

: What, really?

: Hold on. Say Steve, did you... Did you ever carry firewood to our village when you were little?

Over a mountain?

: Carry firewood to other villages? Yes, I did it for my grandfather when I was a child. He would have me do it sometimes instead of my usual marching training.

Oh. That explains it.

:wal: "KILL ALL TREES, BANISH THEIR BODIES OVER THE MOUNTAIN, THEY'RE UNFIT FOR WAR."

: I see, it all makes sense now. So the strong little girl was you. You were rather famous back in our village. How nostalgic! To think that I'd meet you again here... When you were little, you had a pair of very determined eyes. I see. So it was you...

That one was a little more interesting.

Cold-Eye Rody (Luke/Rody 1)

: The "Quiet One"? No... "Stone-faced One"? Nah... Argh, it's so hard to choose.

Luke is trying to come up with a cool name to put "Gamer" after so he can make Youtube reviews.

: ...Luke. Do you think you could stop giving me bizarre nicknames? Also, stop staring at me like that.

: What, you don't like them? How about... "Cold-eyes"?

: That sounds like an insult to me... Am I really that cold?

: Fine, what good ideas have you got then?

: I need no nicknames. And besides, nicknames are supposed to come naturally, right?

: Come on, I know you actually want one; you can't fool me! So, I'll help you think of a fine nickname: one even a veteran knight of Altea would be proud of.

Jagen's nickname is "The Purple Pummeler"

: ...If that's the case, I'll think of a nickname for you as well.

: Alright! Remember to give me a cool one!

: Hmm... How about "Should Be More Serious!"?

: What...

: You don't like it? Then, how about "Oh Dear, He's Crazy..."?

: Alright, I get it already! You... really like to run your mouth off when you're in a mood.

: I do what I can, if it helps you to understand...

: Oh, those eyes! Your nickname has to be "Cold-eyes" now!

Now I'm sad I don't have a smug Rody picture like the Marth one.

: In that case, yours is "Do It Seriously!"...

:rimshot:

• Locked thread