Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Th translation team did a great job, there is a lot of text in this game and everything is translated in a perfectly readable way with clear :anime: Fire Emblem character charm dripping off the dialogue. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Yes, but there's so many ellipses. :psyduck: Navarre might be the only one with "..." as their only dialogue, but pretty much every character abuses those poor periods.

Frankly, it makes me read all their dialogue like Christopher Walken.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I think that in general there are less periods in the English script than in the Japanese. There are some non-Navarre conversations in there that used them more or less as punctuation as I was handed them post-translation, and I'm not sure if that's preserving the Japanese or a quirk with the guy in charge of base conversations.

There are definitely a shitload, and that would probably be one of the things I would go back and fix if given the chance.

I'm glad that overall people like the translation though!

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

SC Bracer posted:

I think that in general there are less periods in the English script than in the Japanese. There are some non-Navarre conversations in there that used them more or less as punctuation as I was handed them post-translation, and I'm not sure if that's preserving the Japanese or a quirk with the guy in charge of base conversations.

There are definitely a shitload, and that would probably be one of the things I would go back and fix if given the chance.

I'm glad that overall people like the translation though!

Well, I think it works for some characters, like you said, it's sorta Navarre's thing, I could see it on people like Jeorge, and it's pretty funny when Malicia trails off into her weird fantasies.

I really liked the writing in this game, actually. I'm not sure how much of that was you guys and how much was IntSys in the original text, but a lot of characters are a lot more interesting now, being taken from a game where like half the characters had zero to one personality traits.

I use Arran as the example a lot, but he works really well for me. He has a memorable backstory in his base conversations, whereas in Shadow Dragon he was a midgame character you had a 50% chance of getting who was pretty poo poo anyway in your field of already 10 million Paladin/Cavs.

Even Jagen has a great line when he's about to fight Lang.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh boy. So we've got to get a squishy mage in there to talk to somebody.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

Glazius posted:

At this point Wendell is honestly not all that squishy, and if his defense is too low for your taste, there's pretty much always a Paladin spot free that he can take to reach Elrean quickly while being a lot more tanky. At least you don't have to get Feena in there somewhere or something.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Glazius posted:

Like Life mentioned, I could class change him to Paladin if I wanted to make him a bit beefier, but I'm probably keeping him in bishop so he can use those staves.

And thankfully, a good chunk of the enemies here are Mages, and Wendell is one of our only units with a Res above like, 2. So he's actually fairly tanky compared to that!

Also, no update tomorrow because I'm going to be gone all day at a graduation party for a family friend, probably drunk in a backyard, but here's a sneak preview:

Elrean is loving stupid.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 20, 2015

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

LordHippoman posted:

Elrean is loving stupid.

This is true. Even when he joins you he remains stupid.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 22: Failure To Communicate (Battle)

Let's jump right into

goddammit Feena stop this

Anyway How's Everyone you know how this works.

That's going to be really good for this map and...not that many others. Mages aren't really at a majority in this game. More than in Shadow Dragon though.

:pervert:

:stonk:

Let's move on.

Drinkin' a Res Potion.

Oh, hey Merric, I didn't see you in the map preview.

: Wait, Elrean! Why do we have to fight? We were both Master Wendell's pupils: we're friends, are we not? Why do you despise me so?

Because he's a douche, Merric.

: I was Master Wendell's disciple before you, and I was the stronger one. Even so, Master Wendell gave you Excalibur. He should have given it to me! Clearly, I was the only one worthy to be his successor, yet he...

: But I have no intention of succeeding Master Wendell. I hold no ill feelings for Khadein, but once I finish studying I plan to go home.

This is one of your few hints to something sorta vague that's important towards the very end of the game.

: So, Elrean, please! Why don't you join us so we can take back Altea?

: Altea, you say?! Why should we help a country that rebelled against the empire and attempted to invade their fair nation? The mage corps of Khadein have sworn allegiance to Emperor Hardin. Oh, I see... I knew it was you... YOU dragged the Altean army here!

I'm glad someone who should be an expert in evil magic totally trusts a guy who looks like THIS now:

Elrean is loving stupid.

: No!! That's not how it is!

: Shut your mouth, traitor!! I won't listen to your lies any longer! Your Excalibur and my Thoron; we'll put them to the test!

So this map starts out with Merric in the middle of hosed-ville right next to the boss. He would be appropriately leveled up if you used him in the prologue.

Merric is pretty good, he gets exclusive early access to Excalibur, which is an auto crit against flying foes (Which we will be seeing a LOT of very soon), has solid growths (including a 40% in Mag but I don't trust that stat anymore), and although his bases aren't great, he can make up for it. He also has special utility lategame that would be a spoiler to mention now.

Just checking, if Elrean attacks first, Merric would stand a good chance at beating him in a duel, especially if you used that Pure Water. However, Elrean cheats. He has all those goons. Let's take care of that.

I move Merric to chip away at the Sniper, but he decides to just Crit and wreck him entirely.

Why was a Sniper holding this? That's like, me levels of inventory management.

Wendell then gets him the gently caress out of there.

Pirates can walk on water tiles! This means Barst would have one-rounded this guy if he hadn't missed the second axe.

Minerva just doesn't give a gently caress about any terrain.

These are pretty good on this map! I should note that the two mages slightly north offscreen have Shaver tomes, so moving fliers too close is a good way to lose a unit, though it is tempting to be rid of those Swarm guys ASAP.

Because of that, Feena gets her the gently caress out.

Caeda deals a little chip damage.

Splitting the team into two here to take each side.

The Swarm Bishop decides to use his Vulnerary to save him from his Barst inflicted wounds.

It was in vain.

Sirius, with his solid 6 Res, makes for the best lure on this side.

Remember that Barrier staff we stole from Lang's castle back in Chapter 6? That's 7 free Res, so Wendell is going to make use of it a lot here.

Feena is helpful in doing that.

Bait bait bait.

Here's the annoying thing about those Recovery Clerics, they decide that your chip damage doesn't mean poo poo.

This surprisingly brave and unfortunately dodgy mage tries picking a fight with Barst.

Zap. That's with 6 Res too, these guys can hurt.

[IMGhttp://lpix.org/2105715/dcapture_055_19062015_111023.png[/IMG]

As shown here. Thankfully, there aren't nearly as many enemies on this map to make up for Magic being so obnoxious to counter.

Wait, why did the Merc mo-OH GOD NO

Praise Barrier Staff.

Navarre does what he does best, kill a guy but be horribly crippled by a single counterattack.

And get a great level.

gently caress this guy.

And that guy.

Even more Res boosts from our friendly Barrier.

Not too bad for an old fella.

No more Mages. Only Steve.

Yessss. I was looking forward to this.

stop doing this game

Drinking a Pure Water to relieve Wendell a bit.

Killing Edge guys make me hella nervous. If you've played an FE game before, you know why.

Sadly, the Pure Water doesn't defend against this.

Minerva is hiding in a corner while Recover Cleric full heals that Killing Edge guy who was bugging Ogma.

Nosferatu really helps keep Malicia afloat.

Sirius weakens the Killing Edge guy with and I decide gently caress it.

Devil Sword time.

Behold, the first documented Devil Sword Crit on an enemy and not yourself. Not even any save states in that one.

Godspeed, Ogma.

Look at that sweet +7 Res boost (the other 2 is from Virgo). Pure Water is situational, but it's a good situational.

Barst is back to running full bore into enemy territory, like a Pirate should.

Merric's Excalibur is a heavy hitter.

Nice. Why didn't I use you in the prologue?

Oh right, we had a mage already. :negative:

Please help me feel better, Malicia.

That does not help.

One hit kill. Ogma's Blade is rad, Luke is rad.

Bait successful :getin:

Time to take a swig of that Elixir we've had for like 10 chapters now.

One last foe to pull over here.

Huh, that's not bad damage.

Barst can do better. :smuggo: Crit for 78.

He probably could have used that before he was a fine paste.

Navarre still good at damage, bad at HP, sky still blue.

Minerva's pretty drat tanky.

Ogma less so, but he gets the job done.

Sirius and Navarre team up and take down the last enemy on the map.

Oh, except this dickhead. Like you probably all guessed or knew already, Elrean's recruitable.

Wendell could take care of business.

If Elrean wasn't so loving STUPID. THAT'S WENDELL.

Also what your idol and teacher looks like, what the gently caress Elrean.

Anyway, Elrean does have an alternate battle quote:

: I won't lose to someone like Merric. Anyone who sides with him is my enemy. Thunder, strike them down! Thoron!!

I thought this might happen, so I disarmed Wendell before hand in case of a stray crit.

C'mere, idiot.

: Master Wendell...

: You still don't understand my decision, do you? Indeed, as a mage, your power surpasses mine. But you lack compassion. That is why I did not grant you Excalibur.

: ... Compassion...?

Elrean is basically the rival from Pokemon Silver. When I was a kid I named him "???" because that's what his name shows up as first, and I thought you were just supposed to type that in when they ask you. :v:

: I had decided that you were to be my successor when the time came. To think you would harbor a grudge towards me... Does that not make you the same as Gharnef?

: The same as Gharnef...? Teacher! What are you saying?

Oh no, parallels to the backstory!

: Elrean, listen to me... Gharnef, along with Pontifex Miloah, were Lord Gotoh's best pupils. But Lord Gotoh saw Gharnef's weakness, and so he left Khadein and the Aura tome to Pontifex Miloah. Gharnef, overcome by jealousy, stole the Darksphere from Lord Gotoh, and created the Imhullu tome. As a result... His heart was trapped within the Darksphere for all eternity. Wrath and envy led him to ruin. Do you understand now, Elrean...?

The Darksphere? Haven't we seen that...oh... :ohdear:

: ...Teacher... ...Teacher! I'm so sorry. I... I was wrong. Please... find it in your heart to forgive me!

: Elrean, you will use that power of yours for the good of the people. Understand?

And after that handy verbal smackdown, we unlock Elrean.

Elrean is meh. He's got a C in Tomes, which is decent, and he can deal damage pretty well, but his growths aren't as good as Merric's, he doesn't have Staves like Etzel, and he's honestly just sort of too little too late. Not unusable by any means, but not really practical. He does get Support bonuses from Etzel for some reason.

Here's Thoron, in case you wanted to see it. You might have used this a lot in Smash 4.

Okay, now here's the deal. All that's left is Clerics who do no damage. Also chests. 4 chests. Marth can open them all. If this was a run where I cared about turn counts, Julian or Rickard could help, but for now? Marth is gonna go do laps for like 20 turns. Keep in mind he can only move one square in the water unless he's coming up on land. I'll just give you the highlights.

One of the best Staves in the game. Heal from anywhere.

10k gold.

This...uh...this sucks. You have Julian and door keys for a reason.

Oooh. I haven't played with this much, but it looks like it's global? That could be super handy against a few bosses...but probably cripples your mages for that turn as well. Gonna have to do some more research on this thing.

Oh god, turn 32.

:toot:

This next scene shows up only if you don't kill any of the clerics. Oddly enough, there is a line where Marth says "Hey, don't kill them" in the game's files, but it was cut from the final release, which makes this kind of weird and obtuse in a game where you usually just kill everything Red unless it has a portrait.

: Excellent, good work, Steve.

: As thanks, they have decided to offer us this.

:eyepop:

Maximum efficiency shopping, baby. This is the only Silver Card in the game, make sure you grab it here!

: Lord Gotoh! Yes, I can. You are speaking to me through magic, are you not? Lord Gotoh, I must ask: what has happened to cause Hardin to suddenly change so much?

(Sorry, I couldn't get him all ghostified): Hmm... The Darksphere is the culprit... Hardin's soul is trapped within the Darksphere...

Guess there's room for two in there.

: The Darksphere? What on earth is that?

We just saw it! I guess Hardin wasn't just waving it around, though.

: The Darksphere is that which complements the Lightsphere; in battle,

That's why we couldn't hurt him.

: But the Darksphere also amplifies wrath and envy, and can turn its owner into a demon. Hardin must have obtained the Darksphere from somewhere... And now his heart has been lost to it.

: But why? He should have been happy after his union with his beloved Princess Nyna, so why the envy?

: Prince... Humans are never simple creatures... In any case, the only object that can overcome Hardin's Darksphere is the Lightsphere. If you want to do something about him, then you had best come and get it from me.

Gotoh can teleport, by the way, he did it in the last chapter of Shadow Dragon. He's just lazy. :colbert: He also got held hostage in Macedon by Michalis somehow.

: Huh? Really, Lord Gotoh? If we have the Lightsphere then we can save Hardin?

: Well... If his heart is not completely consumed, then perhaps.

: Lord Gotoh! Please, lend the Lightsphere to me.

: If you come in person to the Ice Dragon Shrine where I reside, then you shall have it. But that will be no easy task. So, Marth. Do you have the courage to walk the path that Anri walked?

World is kinda on the line here Gotoh...now is not the time for the TESTS OF FAITH or whatever.

: Yes, I do! I will go!! Please, allow me to go!

And right onto another scene. Keep 'em coming.

: If I were to sum up your recent style of fighting, I would say...

Oh god more variable dialogue.

: Most impressive! To the end. All of your comrades support each other, and you fight as one, so as to not lose each other. With Prince Marth as our core... and your support, we shall not falter.

Still no casualties, going well so far!

: It is an honor, Sir Jagen.

And...another scene change.

wait who are you

: Sorry, who are you?

What she said.

: I'm Maris. A mercenary, and not a cheap one. I'd like to ask you something: is yer prince okay with paying gold? Oh, of course, it's okay if I have to wait until this war's over.

Oh god it's a Farina thing. Hopefully I saved up.

Pffft. Steel Swords are more than you.

: Huh? If it's only that much, then Prince Marth would gladly pay...

Steve: Royal Pope/Knight/Treasurer

: Phew! The rumors are true. He's completely different from all our employers up till now. Right, Pops?

Oh, there's the viking! Where was he in chapter 4?

: I'm Dice. On behalf of the both of us, it's great to be in your service.

And, uh, with that new to the remake scene, we get Maris and her dad, Dice, as playable units. Note that it doesn't actually take any gold, they are free.

ONE MORE SCENE, this one only if you finished in under a certain amount of turns depending on difficulty (I didn't) OR keep at least 3 Clerics alive.

Smug Marth tires of these endless cutscenes.

: It concerns the assassins' movements... Lord Horace, who thought to ally with us, is in peril.

Horace might be unfamiliar if you didn't do the sidequests in Shadow Dragon, as he only appeared there.

: Lord Horace...! Steve, Lord Horace is an Archanean knight in Princess Nyna's service. He was our ally.

: We cannot abandon Lord Horace. Jagen, Steve, let's hurry!

Oh no! Which of our treacherous Rogue's Gallery could have done this!

Oh yeah. Alright, fine, let's finish this douche off.

Maybe! See, you might be wondering what the hell is up with this lady

Well, there's a BS FE chapter that (sorta) explains that! That means it's THREAD VOTE time.

If you'd like to go on and fight Roro next, go ahead and say that. If you'd rather I do a BS FE chapter and get some backstory on Maris and Dice, say that. Whichever one I don't choose I'll do right afterwards.

Later, everyone. Elrean is an idiot.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 23, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, let's see the BS chapter.

I can never remember why it's called "BS."

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Elrean is basically the rival from Pokemon Silver. When I was a kid I named him "???" because that's what his name shows up as first, and I thought you were just supposed to type that in when they ask you. :v:

I did the exact same thing. :v:

BS chapter sounds cool. Crazy purple hair lady looks cool. Viking Dad is cool. Let's do cool things.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Lotish posted:

It stands for Broadcast Station. Something about only being able to play during certain times of the day. I don't know the exact details, really...

Speaking of which, BS chapter

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

I think she's just saying Marth never does his own laundry. :iceburn:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Excalibur is not exclusive to Merric. It's a B Rank tome that is Male only. Merric just treats it as an E Rank tome, similar to Linde with Aura. Etzel and Wendell can use it right now too. It also is effective against fliers (3X weapon might) rather than an autocrit (3X overall damage).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Lotish posted:

It was the name of the system the maps were released on. It was this weird Japan only thing where it worked with the super nintendo and you got video games literally sent in and run on a broadcast. I've only seen the Zelda and FE ones, but the trend seems to be a competition for a high score among everyone that played them.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

Well he is the prince.

WrightOfWay posted:

It also is effective against fliers (3X weapon might) rather than an autocrit (3X overall damage).

Which means it can also crit for literally all the numbers. :getin:

FoolyCharged posted:

It was the name of the system the maps were released on.

No, I'm sorry, it's because all the maps are bullshit.

Speaking of, do the BS map first, Roro isn't going anywhere.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
BS sounds cool, sure! And this game loooves saddling you with mediocre units of similar types at the same time, for some reason. First it was sword-users, now it's spellcasters, later something else.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
The "BS" does, in fact, stand for "Broadcast Satellite" :eng101:. It was part of the Satellaview system for the Super Famicom, which was a cartridge that was also, basically, a radio receiver. It came with a sort of "game" by default that acted as an interactive menu system, making the Super Famicom, very technically, the first console to have a home menu. This "game" also included other features that were updated via broadcast, including messages from Nintendo and St. GIGA (the radio station Nintendo partnered with for the service) related to contests, advertisements for the various performers' off-radio appearances, and news about upcoming titles.

The games (and digital magazines, in some cases) themselves were broadcast on a set schedule to the paid subscribers, and included normal game content and a special variant known as SoundLink. BS Fire Emblem was one of those SoundLink games, as each map was fully-voiced, much like a radio drama, and the maps were released episodically during its run. This is why the maps had a hard time limit originally, because the voice acting was being broadcast live and streaming. Also, apparently, SoundLink games could not normally be played freely due to this. However, other BS games could be downloaded and played whenever. There were also SoundLink magazines, which were basically just radio shows.

There was also game content you could download using the same memory paks that the games were stored on, then stick into certain games with built-in memory pak slots to unlock additional content. This included RPG Maker 2 and, yes, this was apparently a real game, Shigesato Itoi's No. 1 Bass Fishing. Guess they can't all be Earthbound. Additionally, the BS Fire Emblem chapters included in this game marks the first time Nintendo has released any of its Satellaview content since the service ended in 2000. All the voice acting, has, as far as anyone knows, been lost, sadly.
:goonsay:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

Excalibur is not exclusive to Merric. It's a B Rank tome that is Male only. Merric just treats it as an E Rank tome, similar to Linde with Aura. Etzel and Wendell can use it right now too. It also is effective against fliers (3X weapon might) rather than an autocrit (3X overall damage).

I tried to say "exclusive early access", because I didn't really know how to phrase it, but looking at it that's confusingly worded, you're right.

Insurrectionist posted:

BS sounds cool, sure! And this game loooves saddling you with mediocre units of similar types at the same time, for some reason. First it was sword-users, now it's spellcasters, later something else.

We are not done with the horses.

EclecticTastes posted:

That was the joke I had while I was taking the pictures, but then I saw that pause face and I just had to make the other joke.

EclecticTastes posted:

The "BS" does, in fact, stand for "Broadcast Satellite" :eng101:.

I did not know most of this, thanks for posting it!

On that note, the voice actor for Dice in the original releases of those chapters died last year :smith:

Goodbye, beautiful Viking.

vilkacis posted:

No, I'm sorry, it's because all the maps are bullshit.

true story I've never done this one before and when I gave it a test run I got poor Rickard one shot on the first turn.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
:ohdear: I fear that Marth may be used to seeing dead people talking to him. Why else would he need to confirm that Gotoh is talking to him with magic.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

As shown here. Thankfully, there aren't nearly as many enemies on this map to make up for Magic being so obnoxious to counter.

Wait, why did the Merc mo-OH GOD NO

You've got duplicate images here.
Elrean is actually not all bad. He's one of the few characters in this game who isn't completely overshadowed and actually has his own niche, that niche being that while Merric is faster and has more skill (and luck I suppose), Elrean has more defense and HP.
I reclassed him into curate and I'm using him as my main staffbot Sage right now, with Cecille being my offensive Sage (3 defense and 0% growth? How would you like to hold all the Nosferatu tomes?).
Really the biggest problem about Elrean is that he's competing with Merric for a spot, and Merric is basically mandatory later.
That and he's a goddamn idiot.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lotish posted:

Call it BackStory.

Solumin posted:

I did the exact same thing. :v:

Thirded. I was never one for naming people in RPGs so I didn't even realize I was supposed to change his name. Left Gary's name as is in Pokemon Yellow too.

Also, go do the BackStory mission first. Stronger units for the next fight isn't anything to turn down, after all.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Also, go do the BackStory mission first. Stronger units for the next fight isn't anything to turn down, after all.

The BS missions don't effect the main story in any way, sadly, so any levels I get for Dice/Maris there don't carry over.

LifeofaGuardian posted:

You've got duplicate images here.

Whoops, I'll fix that up.

Darth TNT posted:

:ohdear: I fear that Marth may be used to seeing dead people talking to him. Why else would he need to confirm that Gotoh is talking to him with magic.

You know, we never do see Marth's GhostDad or GhostMom. Then again Shadow Dragon pretty clearly showed Marth does not give a gently caress about his mom, to the point that the guy who killed her bragged about it to his face and he had no reaction.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
BS Mission first.

This chapter is one that really highlights just how terrible everyone's resistances are in this game, combined with the lack of dodging ability. Even with Resistance buffing, the Mages will tear you to shreds if you're not careful with your positioning.

quote:

Sirius, with his solid 6 Res, makes for the best lure on this side.
This quote physically hurts me for how true it is. 6 Resistance is considered "solid" in this game.
The Shaver guys are terrifying, and when luring Elrean you just better hope he doesn't crit and undo all of your hard work.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I'm glad we have Wendell's hat now. Dude is like fantasy Cosgrove.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Glazius posted:

Yeah, I'm glad we have Wendell's hat now. Dude is like fantasy Cosgrove.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Added to the OP.

Anyway, I'm working on finishing the BS FE chapter, but this one is actually pretty drat complicated/hard.

Here's a highlight though:

: Rickard, show me your tongue.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

Here's a highlight though:

: Rickard, show me your tongue.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 26, 2015

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

:golfclap:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Now, to be fair, she's blind, she probably thinks it's Marth's autobiography or something...still added to the OP.

"I Saved The Continent And My Sister Still Thinks I'm A Loser: The Prince Marth Story"

Also, on a stream of FE14 character creation, I noticed a certain hairstyle...

It appears Half-Steves will be an option. It's one eye, it's about 50% of the way there.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

She makes up for having partial sight by way of a complete lack of fucks to give. Seriously, look at that. She is so done with this heroism poo poo.

E: someone that knows their way around gifs should add that hairstyle to :what:

Raitzeno fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 26, 2015

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Managed to beat that BS map for the first time :toot:

So it's all screencapped and I'll upload and do the update soon, for now though, at Pullahoko's charity stream last night, otherbuttons drew me this pretty sweet sketch of Original Hatless Steve.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 23: Bonus Chapter (Thieves)
Hey, this is the first update after Fire Emblem: Fates came out in Japan! Hope people lucky enough to read Japanese/have a Japanese 3DS are enjoying that (and hopefully not marrying your anime sisters).

So, last time we met these people.

Viking Dad

Eyepatch Swordswoman

And we had no idea who they were or why we should care. Well, this bonus chapter will...uh...sorta answer it? No? Doing it anyway.

For reference's sake, all these bonus chapters take place before Shadow Dragon, so about 3 years before this game begins.

We're skipping Dragoon because that's going to involve characters we won't meet for a while (i know i did Fall before we had met literally any of those guys but shhhh)

This is a rad title.

Back in the library.

Narrator: A man and a woman stepped foot in the palace town. The man's name was Rickard, and the woman was Lena.

: ...Rickard, must you continue your thieving ways?

This is Lena, Julian's girlfriend. She's probably the nicest person in Archanea, but she's not...the brightest.

:v:

: We put our lives on the line stealin' not for our own pockets, but so we can shower the poor with gold!

: B-but...

: Hmm, I guess a palace of this size will be absolutely teemin' with guards. It ain't gonna be easy sneakin' in. Well, Lena. I'll go and scout for a bodyguard, so you just wait here for a moment. I'll be riiiight back!

: Oh, please don't be long!

Why does this one guy keep popping up? Oh and :ohdear:

: P-please leave me alone, I'm waiting for someone.

ThatGenericBanditICan'tFindAPortraitFor: C'mon, even a littl' moment would do.

: N-no! Let go of me!

Only one hero can bring justice now...

... Man!

TGBICFAPF: Who's there? This ain't got nothin' to do with ya!

: I see...then I have no choice.

TGBICFAPF: H-h-hey... You kiddin', right? W-wait, d-don't tell me you're... Navarre...! S-somebody, save meee!

His heroic catchphrase is uttered, and dramatic wind begins to blow (no seriously there's a wind cue here)

: So you are Navarre, sir? My name is... Lena. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

: ...It's dangerous here. Be careful.

: Ah, err... I wonder if you would agree to be our bodyguard?

: Bodyguard?

: Yes. We, er, have our reasons, so we've been looking for somebody capable to be our bodyguard.

: ...I'm expensive.

: I-if it's gold you want, then Rickard should be able to... Oh no, I mean... How expensive? I don't have much gold on hand... However, we need more help if we are to save the people in the village...

: ...Fine, tell me the details.

: Ah! Thank you, Navarre!

Meanwhile, let's see what heroes Rickard can scrounge up. Maybe Ogma, or Minerva, or

Dammit I already made this joke

: Heeey! You alright? It's just a light wound, pull yourself together!

: W-water...

: You want water? Here ya go!

I should have called this update "Slurrrrrrrp"

: Ugh, you're kinda dirty. Hey, you alright?

: Huff... Thanks. Me name is Castor. You are?

: I'm Rickard. You're not gonna live long if you stay in a place like this. What happened to ya?

: I desperately needed gold for me mother and young siblings back home. When I heard there'd be people willin' to hire me in this city, I came here without thinkin' to eat or drink...

: Hmm, I gotcha. Oh, in that case, why doncha join us? We'll have gold if everythin' goes well.

: Really? Then, let me come along!

: Rickard! Are you there, Rickard!

: Eh? Lena! Len...... What the? Err, who's that guy with you?

: Rickard, this is Navarre. He rescued me from a tricky situation.

: Whoa, he's mighty scary! Oh right, Lena. I found somebody willin' to join us.

: I am Castor, a hunter. Rickard saved me life.

: Saved your life? C'mon, you're exaggeratin'!

You just gave him some water to SLUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRPPP

: Teehee. Rickard, it seems I have misunderstood you. I was unaware of how thieves operate, so I thought they were all bad people. But you're different, aren't you? You desperately seek gold, but only so you can save people. Am I right?

Lena is...uh...kinda dumb.

: W-well, sorta! Y-yeah, it's somethin' like that. Hahaha...

: I-I need gold for me ill mother...

: You guys... better not be lying...

:allears: I like this scene.

: Ah-ahahahahaha... A-anyway, we have enough people now. I reckon it's time we set up a plan!

: Oh my gosh, Rickard. How did you come by this?

: Huh? Oh, er, I got this... From a traveler. Yeah, a traveler.

: Eeeeeeeek! No, no, I remembered wrong. Errr... I found it lyin' around as I passed by a nearby room, so I, er, borrowed it for a bit.

: Rickard! Taking things without permission is a terrible thing to do. No wonder people mistake you for a bandit. I'll go apologize for you later, so don't do it again. Am I clear?

...really Lena?

: Yeah, I won't do it again. Promise.

: Rickard, tell us the plan already.

: Huh? Oh yeah, sure. Lessee... First, there's a rampart HERE. We'll cross it and open the door. Then, once we're HERE, Navarre will take the lead. Meanwhile, Castor and I will stay close behind. We'll take care of any guys who escape from you, Navarre.

: Though I hardly think there's anyone who'd survive my blade...

:smuggo:

: Eeek! No, no, gotta focus. Either way, I'll show 'em my moves as soon as we encounter the treasure.

: ...Don't forget I'll be watching. Always.

: C-c'mon, Navarre! Whadya think I'm gonna do? Run off with all the treasure?

:allears:

: Sigh... Even though I'm workin' sooo hard to save people in need... My own comrades don't even trust me... Oh, woe is me... Sniff, sniff, waaah!

: Oh, Rickard! Don't cry... Navarre, you went too far this time. Rickard is but a fragile child whose feelings are easily hurt...

: Uwaaaah! Lenaaaaa!

: It's okay, Rickard. I believe in you.

: Hmmmmm... I see... So that's how you get people to trust you... Very clever...

why is navarre so good in this chapter

: Eeeep! Alright, I got it. Then, uh, back to the plan! Lena, you stay behind us, alright?

: I'm coming along too?

PLEASE DO.

: Well, if you don't, who's gonna heal us when we get all battered an' bruised? Besides, Navarre here said he wouldn't come with us unless you were comin'.

: I don't remember saying that...

: You don't need to say anythin'! I can tell these things! Navarre, you're the type that has a soft spot for a pretty face and the right features.

: You... You sure like spouting nonsense.

: Huh? Castor, whatcha you doing? Have you been taking notes of our conversation?

: What? Oh no, this is, err... Reference. Yes, it's for reference.

: ...Don't tell me, you're planning a con act, with Rickard as the base.

: No way! I'm so cute and cheerful that everybody forgives me if I just smile! But I don't think copyin' my style would suit a serious guy like you, Castor!

HOW ARE YOU SO BAD AT THIS

: Ahaha. 'Tis nothing, my dear Lena. Anyway I'm gonna catch some shut-eye. Good night y'all!

: ...How irresponsible. Sister, I'm going to rest as well.

: Alright. Good night, Navarre.

: It seems even Navarre--the Scarlet Swordsman--completely fell for Rickard's smooth talk.

: Do you really think so? To me, it just seems like he's bullying poor Rickard...

: Haha, you're too good of a person. Anyway, I'll rest for a bit, too. How about you?

I like how Castor's accent goes away when he's not doing the con act.

: I'll stay here a little longer.

: I see... But, don't blame yourself too much.

: ... Is saving people really so difficult...? Am I just a step away from committing a sin? Oh, gods! Please protect our weak souls...

The next day...

Chests!

Lots of chests!

: I could never tire of the thief's life! The palace is just as I expected! If I don't focus on crackin' open them treasure chests, why, it'll be morning before I notice it!

And with that the map starts. We get Lena, Navarre, Rickard, and Castor. Everyone has one iron weapon of their type, except Lena, who has a Heal, Rescue, and Warp stave. This chapter is really technical if you want to keep everyone alive and get as much treasure as you can, so I had to try it a lot and look for some strategies online. The first enemy we want to kill is, ironically, the boss.

I start by warping Navarre

To this chest. He can't open it, but it doesn't matter.

Rickard and Castor meatshield for Lena, but on the first turn...

These two are slightly to the left of that big crowd of thieves. I got crop-happy, my bad. Whatever you do, don't send Rickard near them, Malice oneshots him and you fail the map (same with Lena, they're required to survive)

: Do we really need to work so hard for these disgusting thugs?

: Well ya see, we got no gold on hand. Not even enough to buy bread. If we wanna eat, sometimes we gotta do jobs we don't like.

Maris is AWFUL at salary negotiations.

: drat straight. If only somebody would pay us 500, I'd work for them in a heartbeat...

Dice is not much better.

: Sigh... Being hungry makes me angry. I don't care who, just come here. I'll make my sword rust with your blood.

This is actually a hint. If you don't have 500 gold, you can't even talk to Maris.

That gold is hidden in some of the many chests populating the map. This enemy thief is going to go for some of it, though.

Here's why I warped Navarre there, he'll pull Vaam here over.

Nabarl is more than a match for him.

This is more of an issue. Rickard and Castor can't take too many hits, so I probably should have pulled them back into that chokepoint hallway...but I manage.

Vaam goes down on Turn 2, the quickest of any boss so far.

This is nice.

This is nicer. This is the key to beating this whole map.

I had Castor and Rickard pick away at the thieves as Lena healed them. It was dull, I'll spare you the shots.

Ooh, this I want. It'll give any non-thief 5 free opens of a chest or door.

Vaam's henchmen aren't much of a threat to Navarre...sadly he can't double them, though.

Hanging on by a thread!

Eh.

Thieves are cleared out now.

I want to get Navarre off this chest to bait one of the thieves into opening it for me.

Perfect.

The other thief feeds Navarre's STR some more.

Mine now.

But there are more chests...

Mag is always good...not that any of these levels will matter after this map, because it's a BS chapter and thus has no connection to the main campaign.

The surviving thief from Navarre's rampage gets cut down by Rickard.

This looks dumb. But trust me, I have a plan.

Nice staff. Speaking of nice staff...

Rescue!

And again!

Now that I have the Armorslayer, I want Navarre over here, which is why I pulled him back.

He doubled, but missed the second hit :(

This guy wasn't as lucky.

And the knight falls on the next turn.

Have I mentioned thieves are worth a shitton of XP? They are.

This is going to boost Castor's firepower substantially.

I spent a turn distributing these items to their proper users.

Then Warped Navarre with the Master Key back to the top portion of the map.

Man, Lena's not getting very good levels. Guess it took her a while to get as good as she is in SD.

Ooh, here's a nice prize. If your Navarre doesn't have the STR to oneshot those knights with Armorslayer yet, I'd use this on him to conserve Armorslayer uses.

Mine has just enough, even without the unnecessary crit.

Time to clean up.

And some more...

Lena's Thief staff brings us to 600.

Navarre's in position to lure this knight.

And NOW I can warp Rickard to Maris.

: What the hell, don't frolic around kid. This ain't no childrens' playground.

: I'm not a kid. I'm a thief. Say, why doncha join us?

: Wait, what?

: Since I'm a thief, I can open treasure chests like I eat breakfast. There ain't anybody who can earn gold faster than me. Impressed?

That line is so...Rickardy.

: Hey kid. Are you telling me the truth?

: I told you, I'm not a kid. Well, if you don't trust me, I guess I'll look for someone else.

: Hmm, you're pretty interesting. Alright, I'll believe you. However, you'll pay in blood if you betray me. Got it?

: Alright. Then, we're set. How about I give you 500 gold in advance and a contingent fee later?

: 500 gold? Heh, sounds fine to me. Alright, I'll join you then.

We have Maris now, that Lady Sword access would be great if all the remaining enemies weren't knights weak to the Armorslayer, so uh...Navarre kinda makes her irrelevant. Sadly reflective of the main game.

Anyway, let's get Dad. As you can see, he's pretty Tanky, and he has range with that Hand Axe...but his only other option is the Devil Axe, which is always a gamble.

: I see, sounds interesting. Alright, gotcha. I'll come along, too.

: Yes, I figured you would, Pops.

(and yes, you can make Maris murder her dad if you want, you horrible bastard)

: drat straight. That's mah daughter for ya. Life's a gamble: it's always sink or swim... Betting on the unknown is more interesting than a sure win.

get it his name is dice

I'm gonna level with you, this is pretty much all over now. Now it's just mostly Armorslaying and opening chests.

See? But I do want to show off the others a little, so, uh, let's do this.

A cunning trap.

Ooh, best pull with the Thief Staff yet. This is going to help...

HE TOOK THE BAIT

There, we used Dice. It was all worth it.

This is a pretty lazy use of Physic, but eh. Now I'm just going to march everyone to the top corner. Mostly Navarre though.

Another Thief Staff for the road.

Now we're getting close.

Last Thief Staff pull nets us 200 more gold, useless for all but points now.

Here's how the rest of this map is going to go. These Knights are in a staggered formation, so I can keep edging Navarre one square forward, killing one he lures, and having Lena Physic him back up. I didn't screen shot all that, because it's boring as hell, but I got the level ups and treasures and such.

Now, I did notice there was one chest I probably wouldn't be able to get, because if I kept up this plan, Navarre would have killed all the enemies and ended the map first.

I want it all. So I sent Rickard out...grabbed the 200 Gold...

And Rescue is so good you guys.

This is less so.

The final treasure is here, and...

:toot:

That took me way too long to figure out. Mostly just the beginning bits, but it's a fairly complex map.

Oh, this guy again

(Camus' Theme, The Proud Commander, gets used for a few other characters in SD too (Michalis), but I usually associate it with him)

: What? They are fearless men for sure, if they've come to assault the palace's treasury. Very well. Capture all of them!

Well, poo poo.

: Uwah! L-let go of me! Nooo, stoooooop! L-Lena!

: Oh...!

: ...Who-who are you!?

: Are you the thieves who intruded here? Hmm... and a cleric too? Sister, what is the meaning of this? Why are you aiding these pack of thieves?

Note that only Rickard seems to have been captured and nobody else talks in this conversation, so I guess Navarre, Castor, Dice, and Maris just found a back door? (Probably because they CAN die in this mission)

: So you are General Camus. Indeed, we came here to steal treasure. However, we're only doing this for the people of Archanea. Don't you know... how much suffering the Dolhrian army is causing to the people of this sacred land of Archanea...? Ever since the Dolhrian army invaded, Archanea has changed for the worst. Many have had their houses razed, lands stolen, and are now suffering from hunger even.

Lena with the morality :iceburn:

: Sister, 'tis true that Archanea's misery brings pain to my heart. However, I am a soldier. So long as my motherland Grust obeys Dolhr, I, too, must follow the empire's orders.

: General! Then, are you nothing but Dolhr's pawn?

: I suppose... regrettably, that's the only way one could describe me.

Oh, hey, another character we haven't seen since the last bonus chapter.

: Think about it! You defied Emperor Medeus's orders, allowing me to keep my honor and freedom as a princess. I am certain that, deep inside, you despise Dolhr as much as we do...

And yet he still wasn't recruitable in SD.

: ...Perhaps you're right. However, just what do you expect I do...!?

: You could turn a blind eye once again and let these people walk free. Sister, I'll let you keep the treasure you've obtained. Please distribute it among the poor and needy.

: You're... Princess Nyna? Oh, thank you so much! With this gold, we'll finally be able to begin rescuing the poor.

: Camus, I beg of you. Take these people to somewhere safe.

: Haha, if it's an order from you, Princess, then what choice do I have?

Camus isn't great at the whole "occupation" thing.

: How lucky of us! Well, seeya!

: Thank you very much, General Camus. Please extend my thanks to Princess Nyna. I shall never forget this favor.

: Lena, let's hurry, hurry! C'mon, I'm leaving you behind!

: Please, stay well!

: ...

Maybe! Or maybe he'll just get impaled by a Rapier wielding prince. Or both!

There's my final score. I think i could have gotten Speed higher if I hadn't dawdled so much luring guys, and Exp more if I had let some of the lower level units get killing blows on the knights/thieves instead of having Navarre decimate them, but I'm happy enough with this.

Anyway, after that surprisingly long interlude (Forgot how much chatting there was in this one), we'll return to the main story and face off with Roro next time. See you then for

Update 24: Rampaging Randomized Roros Rumpus

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So you don't gain anything useful doing these side missions? For the main run that is... seems kinda :effort:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

frajaq posted:

So you don't gain anything useful doing these side missions? For the main run that is... seems kinda :effort:

Nope, you don't get a thing except some points that you can compare with all your friends that play Japanese-only DS games, so maybe like, one!

I think it's because they're all remakes of these really old broadcasted games (EclecticTastes has a really good post on it up above) that hardly anyone remembered anyway, so they just sorta remade them and popped them in the game as an extra. If you don't like the puzzly nature of them, it's probably best not to bother with them. I never played them on my first few runs of this game, this is my first time beating this one in particular.

There were 3 free DLC maps as well, that are new content made especially for New Mystery, but I'd have to do some emulator fiddling to get those on here so I'm going to wait to do them (if I do them) until I beat the story in case I gently caress something up catastrophically. Already had to restart once, don't want to do it again.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Why are you blushing, Steve, was it something you s... moving on.

I really like this chapter, it has all sorts of fun with the characters. Involving Rickard without also having a vastly superior thief around is also a good idea.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Camus is kind of really bad at the whole occupation commander thing whenever Nyna gets involved. It's also funny because his second love-interest in gaiden is just a greener palette swap of Nyna's sprit.

The BSFE stuff is really nice because we get a little backstory on a lot of characters who otherwise had the personality of cardboard in FE11.

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 28, 2015

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

vilkacis posted:

Why are you blushing, Steve, was it something you s... moving on.

You know, I've made a million jokes about Steve's blindness because of her hair...but how is anyone hearing her with the mask on all the time? Steve is the poster child for sensory impairment.

SC Bracer posted:

The BSFE stuff is really nice because we get a little backstory on a lot of characters who otherwise had the personality of cardboard in FE11.

That's the draw of them for me. I'm not a huge fan of the more puzzly maps, but I like the dialogue for the characters.

Anyway I'm playing Awakening right now and I was like "haha Chrom you have 1 Res at level 7 that blows", then I remembered this whole game happened. I'm sorry if that seems like a non-sequitur but I just had to remember how much the early FE games hate Res as a stat.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Fun fact: It was that map, specifically, that clued me in to the fact that Castor is completely full of poo poo. I thought he actually needed money for his sick mother! In any case, it's really cool that every single character exclusive to the BS maps was added to the main game, along with everyone who failed to return for Book 2 (or even Book 1, in the case of Wrys and a few others), and the new Shadow Dragon characters, it kind of makes this version a great big reunion special for the extended canon of FE1/3. Y'know, aside from Lorenz, Gotoh, Hardin, and someone I'm not gonna say so even if you're one of those dopes who always clicks spoilers even if you don't know what's gonna happen, it won't be spoiled since it was kind of a curveball for me and you guys deserve that surprise in an otherwise fairly straightforward plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Hey, this is the first update after Fire Emblem: Fates came out in Japan! Hope people lucky enough to read Japanese/have a Japanese 3DS are enjoying that (and hopefully not marrying your anime sisters).

Wait, what? Is this a return to the "glory days" of FE4?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

• Locked thread