Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

RareAcumen posted:

edit:Is there a way to know if a post is going to push things onto a new page beforehand?

Count. 40 posts per page. (Ah, ah, ah.)

E: I should have done so, myself. God dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Xane seems really glad to have people he can troll again.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Raitzeno posted:

Count. 40 posts per page. (Ah, ah, ah.)

E: I should have done so, myself. God dammit.

Oh, the bitter Irony!

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Update 30: Homecoming King (Prep)

Things we can say goodbye to for this next bit of Fire Emblem 12:

Dragons
Extreme temperatures
Xane Expositing

Things we will see

Lots of Mounted Units
Old Friends
a sweetass beard

So let's get started.

Narrator: finally began the battle to liberate their homeland. However, General Eibel, commander of the Archanean army, ordered the Gra knights to attack, in order to buy time. In the meantime, he prepared his own devious tactics with the aim of crushing the Altean army in one fell swoop.

With their dear homeland before them, Marth and the others start yet another battle.

"Recapture Anri, our capital! We shall now reclaim our homeland!"
Prince Marth's voice resounded through the serene skies of Altea.
One of the objectives of their long and difficult journey was already within reach.

We rejoin our heroes with cool new headgear.

: Thank you, Steve... Huh? Wh-what happened to your hair...?

Someday this is going to kill Marth.

: Sir Xane did it for me. He said that a legendary power would enter me if I wear this tiara. And this hairstyle complements it. Anything to become stronger...

: ...L-legendary power? Oh, Xane's handiwork, I see. He can certainly be a handful...

:v

Time to start things on a high note. We got a Master Seal last map.

Nice. We have a good Paladin! (sorry sirius, someday :( )

To commemorate our return to Altea, I decided to fulfill one of the oldest thread requests.

vilkacis posted:

-goddammit.

Name one Turban instead. Hardin may have forsaken it, but it's still with us in spirit.

It will be used wisely. (probably not)

So here's our map. Played Shadow Dragon? Remember that Chapter 15? Pretty much the same thing.

And already there are these goddamn ballista.

The enemy group immediately south of us is no joke, with lots of Paladins and Horsemen for the purpose of ruining our fliers' days.

This looks like 2 villages, but it's really just one. You'll see why later. For now...right or left?

The boss here is pretty beefy, with 45 HP and 19 Defence, but it's nothing one of our mages or a Hammer wielding Barst can't chew through.

He has a General with him, and a Paladin.

Hope you still aren't sick of Swarm Bishops.

Wait, what? What is my favorite cavalier from Shadow Dragon doing...being a Red Unit?

Abel why? :(

This guy is a real fucker because Fortify can heal every enemy on the map at once.

but not my heart why abel why

Anyway, How's Everyone?

STILL PRETTY SPIFFY

Fantastic. Now it's talking time. I missed the title of this one but it's "Marth and Caeda 3". For clear reasons.

The support called Marth and Caeda 3

Is, uh, Caeda okay? Did Malicia poison her? Is this some Game of Thrones poo poo?

: Huh? Why did you laugh? Was it something I said?

: No, not really. It's just... you always ask me that. You're always worrying about everyone else.

: I-is that so?

: That's why we follow you, Marth. It's because of your kindess that I...

: Huh...?

Marth is incapable of getting the hint.

: Say, Marth. Once this war is over, will we..?

: Yes. We must devote all of our energies into the reconstruction.

Marth is every oblivious sitcom dad on the anniversary episode. Soon he and Jagen will go on a wacky adventure to the nearest Hallmark.

: Oh yes...That's right.

: And then, we'll be wed.

: Oh, Marth...!

: I'm looking forward to seeing you in a wedding dress, Caeda.

Not until Awakening.

: And what, sir, will I do if it becomes me less than this armor?

: Hahaha, that's impossible. You'll be beautiful regardless.

: Really?

: Mmm.

: Thank you, Marth. I hope I'll be a bride worthy of you.

: I too... I'll make you the happiest woman in the world, Caeda.

: ...Marth...

This is a weird wedding ring.

Steve and Merric 2 is what this one is called

: Steve?

: Excuse me, am I interrupting you?

: No, nothing of the sort. When I close my eyes like this, and feel the wind on my body... My heart becomes free and I can focus.

: That reminds me, they call you the Wind Mage, don't they, Sir Merric?

: Yes. I suppose I acquired that name because of my mastery of Excalibur.

: I see. The wind magic, Excalibur... Excalibur suits you well, Sir Merric.

: I guess... But, would you be surprised if I said I didn't choose Excalibur, but rather Excalibur chose me?

: Excalibur chose you?

: That's right. Our teacher, Master Wendell, once gave Excalibur to me and Thoron to Elrean. I didn't receive Excalibur because I was better than Elrean. But, rather, it was because of the magic's personality.

Nah, I think it's because Elrean is a dickhead and also not as good as you.

: Magic has personality?

: While very rare, some spellbooks have a "will" of their own and the magic itself chooses its owner. Excalibur is one such spellbook. I guess Excalibur liked my personality since it chose me.

: Magic choosing its user...? Now I've seen everything.

Because magic certainly didn't choose you! :haw:

:(

: Haha. So, as you can see, I only became the Wind Mage by chance. If things had gone a little differently, then perhaps Elrean would be the one being called the Wind Mage.

: I see... However, I must say, wind magic really suits you, Sir Merric. Excalibur was probably smitten by your calm disposition. Truly, no wind magic could resist your charms, Sir Merric.

Steve, master of flirting.

: Oh, that's kind of you. Thanks.

Phantom Pain is really good and I'm running out of things to say about Jagen, good thing we only have like 12 more of these conversations

: At the Ice Dragon Shrine, Prince Marth obtained the Lightsphere from Lord Gotoh. With it, we can now challenge Hardin and his Darksphere. And now is the time for us to reclaim our homeland.

Alright thanks Jagen.

Betr-Able

: Indeed, sire... Sadly, that's the inescapable truth.

: Sire, Sir Jagen, what's going on?

: Steve. I should tell you about Abel, too. Before your arrival, Abel was a knight of Altea and Cain's trusted partner. Afterwards, he retired to live together with Est in Altea, but now...

: As you know, our enemy is the Archanean army that has occupied Altea... And Abel is among their ranks.

: What? In other words, he's now our enemy?

Yes, that is exactly what they both said, Steve.

: It would seem so. But who'd have guessed... It's simply unfathomable.

: Sir Jagen. I am not acquaintanced with Sir Abel, but... I don't think someone who used to be a knight in Prince Marth's service would betray Altea without reason. There must be something going on.

: Yes, indeed... Otherwise, there is no way Abel would betray the prince.

: I think the same. Jagen, Steve, I'll try to talk to him. If I go, I'm sure Abel will tell me his reasons.

Well, if Marth is going to wander into enemy territory to chat up Abel, we should probably make him less...awful. Drill Grounds!

I just wanted to note that, when Marth hits a certain level, he'll start facing promoted enemies in the arena, even though he doesn't promote himself.

Also yes, you can get a Game Over in Drill Grounds with Marth/Steve.

But let's pretend that didn't happen.

To round off the update, I'm chock full of stat boosters, let's pass some out.

Marth, please start doubling.

Caeda, please stop being a wet Kleenex.

Luke. Uh, take this.

I swapped Minerva out for Jeorge due to the sheer amount of bows on this map, and gave him a Luck Bond because hell if I ever use them anyway.

I just want this to stop being a flat zero.

And this is the second one of these I have used on Merric, and he is still a point behind Malicia in Mag. Come on, man :(

Next time a pretty drat long map and a whole lot of dead Archaneans.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Villages, eh?

Right about now.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
No Steve, flirting with Merric will not get you magic level ups. :(

When are you going to use a tiara screenshot for Steve? I want to see magical girl Steve talk.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.
The left village. Because it's harder to get to and thus it must be more useful!
(I took my time a bit too much with this map and failed to save the left village :saddowns:)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So we can only chose one village? And don't even get told what we get from them?

Go to the left village.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Torrannor posted:

So we can only chose one village? And don't even get told what we get from them?

Go to the left village.

Well, I mean, you could cheat and look it up if you want, but yeah, if you're playing this blind, it's pretty much a 50/50 shot. In Shadow Dragon it was a choice between two characters.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

theshim posted:

Villages, eh?

Right about now.

Sounds about right

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Slaan posted:

Sounds about right

only if you want to get Left behind

Noelor
Oct 5, 2009

LordHippoman posted:

In Shadow Dragon it was a choice between two characters.

Are the two characters even the same class? (I'm guessing no)

Oh, and left.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Noelor posted:

Oh, and left.

One was Arran, the other was a Hero. They were both pretty bad.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I say we make a hard right turn.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Might makes right.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

LifeofaGuardian posted:

The left village. Because it's harder to get to and thus it must be more useful!
(I took my time a bit too much with this map and failed to save the left village :saddowns:)
I agree with this reasoning, left it is.

Also, bring Julian and start training him up already.:colbert:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

fade5 posted:

I agree with this reasoning, left it is.

Also, bring Julian and start training him up already.:colbert:

I considered that a lot.

Julian is really too low right now to do much except for Drill Grounds. Ballista and Swarm Bishops keep him pinned down and away from the weaker enemies he could actually damaged. I think I've missed the boat on him, sadly. If I could turn back time on this LP I probably would have used him over Draug.

He is required for the Last Chapter/Best Ending, though, but don't worry, I have a plan for that, Rescue Staves can help with cheesing that bit a lot.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

Noelor posted:

Oh, and left.

Nope. One of them was Arran, and the other was a hero that we'll see later.
edit: I am blind and didn't notice someone else already answered the question :doh:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Pegasus knights, for being doom harbingers, are awfully demure in cutscenes.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

LordHippoman posted:

I considered that a lot.

Julian is really too low right now to do much except for Drill Grounds. Ballista and Swarm Bishops keep him pinned down and away from the weaker enemies he could actually damaged. I think I've missed the boat on him, sadly. If I could turn back time on this LP I probably would have used him over Draug.

He is required for the Last Chapter/Best Ending, though, but don't worry, I have a plan for that, Rescue Staves can help with cheesing that bit a lot.
Give him a couple forged effective weapons and he'll be fine. Uuuuuuuse hiiiiiimmmmmm

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Glazius posted:

Pegasus knights, for being doom harbingers, are awfully demure in cutscenes.

Yeah they...they do that for the first several games. Peg Knights have this issue of either being hyperactive or super shy in almost all instances. There's a few exceptions (Tanith in FE9/10, Vanessa/Her Sister Everyone Forgets Because She's Pretty Bad in FE8, the Peg Knight in Fates), but it's sort of a thing just like "Here's a fighter, he's a big dumb idiot, here's a dark mage, he's a dick, here's a Lord, he's Prince of Wherever and he's just a really nice guy."

theshim posted:

Give him a couple forged effective weapons and he'll be fine. Uuuuuuuse hiiiiiimmmmmm

If people really want to see Julian I'll try for him, sure. I have an Arms Scroll and some Armorslayers I can forge with, and he is legitimately pretty handy on this and the next chapter. He's a good character, I just kinda hosed up and left him behind because I tried to use too many people.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

LordHippoman posted:

If people really want to see Julian I'll try for him, sure. I have an Arms Scroll and some Armorslayers I can forge with, and he is legitimately pretty handy on this and the next chapter. He's a good character, I just kinda hosed up and left him behind because I tried to use too many people.
Do this. Also, you've got money right now, you could should get him a couple levels in the drill grounds as well so that he's strong enough to do stuff.

Julian's growths will take care of the rest, once he gets going he's fine.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Yeah they...they do that for the first several games. Peg Knights have this issue of either being hyperactive or super shy in almost all instances. There's a few exceptions (Tanith in FE9/10, Vanessa/Her Sister Everyone Forgets Because She's Pretty Bad in FE8, the Peg Knight in Fates), but it's sort of a thing just like "Here's a fighter, he's a big dumb idiot, here's a dark mage, he's a dick, here's a Lord, he's Prince of Wherever and he's just a really nice guy."

I object to that! Canas is a perfectly pleasant person.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Stephen9001 posted:

I object to that! Canas is a perfectly pleasant person.

Dark Mages do seem to jump back and forth between being super-creepy (like Hex Maniacs in Pokemon) to really chill dudes and/or kind, refined gentlemen who just happen to have hit upon the souls of the damned as an efficient power source / self-defense mechanism.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

DID SOMEONE SAY SWEETASS BEARD I GOT HERE AS SOON AS I COULD

:neckbeard: Turban!

LordHippoman posted:

Because magic certainly didn't choose you! :haw:

:(

Steve spent a whole day trying to shoot fire out of a copy of Twilight. Magic hated her ever since.

I vote for whichever village has the least votes, unless the date is a prime number, in which case the opposite.

What?

Oh fine, just pick one you like.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

vilkacis posted:

Steve spent a whole day trying to shoot fire out of a copy of Twilight. Magic hated her ever since.

Clearly the correct choice is to shoot fire INTO a copy of Twilight.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
...I just realized you already did a forge for this chapter with that Steel Lance, so no forged Armorslayer.

Take Julian anyway.:colbert:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You can forge as many weapons as you want per chapter in this game as long as you have the gold. It's not PoR.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

You can forge as many weapons as you want per chapter in this game as long as you have the gold. It's not PoR.

fade is right, actually, it's just one forge per chapter in this one. Another time. I'll still use him here, I just might have to do like an emergency Drill Grounds. Or better yet, this map does have an Arena...and I could probably just use that and actually make some money for the forged Armorslayer. Two birds, one thief.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 9, 2015

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

fade is right, actually, it's just one forge per chapter in this one. Another time. I'll still use him here, I just might have to do like an emergency Drill Grounds. Or better yet, this map does have an Arena...and I could probably just use that and actually make some money for the forged Armorslayer. Two birds, one thief.

Ah yes, Arena abuse, a trademark of all Fire Emblem Lp's that have any self respect (where Arena abuse is possible anyway).

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Stephen9001 posted:

Ah yes, Arena abuse, a trademark of all Fire Emblem Lp's that have any self respect (where Arena abuse is possible anyway).

Don't start thinking this LP has any self respect. :v:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

LordHippoman posted:

It just makes the LP more authentic, really. Who doesn't abuse the mechanics in Fire Emblem?

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Well then, if you're arena abusing, you might as well go all the way if you know what I mean.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

It just makes the LP more authentic, really. Who doesn't abuse the mechanics in Fire Emblem?

LifeofaGuardian posted:

Well then, if you're arena abusing, you might as well go all the way if you know what I mean.

Well, yeah, I could just be like "OH LOOK HE'S LEVEL 30 NOW AND I HAVE INFINITE GOLDS" but I don't want to trivialize like, the whole game. I think I'll put a soft cap on any Arena abuse at like, the highest leveled other character, or around 20 for Marth/Julian.

Trust me, this is a wise decision chosen by my patented "How I Make Choices About The FE12 LP" system, pictured here:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Well, yeah, I could just be like "OH LOOK HE'S LEVEL 30 NOW AND I HAVE INFINITE GOLDS" but I don't want to trivialize like, the whole game. I think I'll put a soft cap on any Arena abuse at like, the highest leveled other character, or around 20 for Marth/Julian.

Trust me, this is a wise decision chosen by my patented "How I Make Choices About The FE12 LP" system, pictured here:

It's comforting to me to know that you are connected enough to have an advisor.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

No seriously, I want to see you abuse it like that. I often find it oddly satisfying to see games get broken over peoples knees (this is how I can play Awakening by grinding a bunch and laughing at my newfound invincibility afterwards). As such, I would have no objections to turning this into the "let's all become murder gods!" show, though I understand that would be bad for showing how difficult the game can normally be. Oh, not going to forgive you for not buying stones for Tiki and thus not really being able to use her though. I am very disappointed I won't get to see her murder a bunch of poo poo.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Support Update 8: Dragon Special Edition (Bantu 2, Tiki 1, Xane 1)

Chapter 15 is a lot more painful than I remember it being. So that might take a while. On the other hand, support updates don't take that long. Let's at least have some content and I might finish the LP by the time civilization collapses.

Speaking of things that go on forever, Dragons. They're a pretty big deal in the Shadow Dragon/New Mystery duology, and in several other FE games as well. In fact, we have 3 of them in our party right now! That's about the right amount for a support update. Let's start chatting with old man Bantu, introduce ourselves to the Divine Dragon, Tiki, and get owned by Xane yet again, as is Steve's lot in life.

Stone Searching (Bantu 2)

: Oh dear...

: Is something the matter, Sir Bantu?

: Oh, hello Dame Steve. Did you, um, see... a stone around this size?

Bantu, are you going to get upset with me for not buying the Dragonstones too? I'm sorry. I need that gold to feed my horrible Drill Grounds addiction.

: A stone...? I'm sorry, I don't recall seeing one like that...

: I see, I see... What a predicament.

: Was the stone important to you?

: Indeed, my girl. Do you remember tasting the pickled vegetables a moment ago? I need that stone in order to pickle them...

Wait, why do you need a stone to do that? I'm not a chef, but isn't pickling vegetables pretty much just submerging them in salt water? Do we have any thread pickling experts?

: Oh, I see. That is a predicament indeed...!

: As you age, you start forgetting a lot of things... A long time ago... Tiki told me she wanted to see what vegetables looked like before being pickled.

: I see, that sounds like something a child would say.

: It brought me great joy seeing Tiki hold an interest in the outside world... So I broke my word and took her outside.

: I... would have done the same.

: However, I lost my dragonstone when we were near Pyrathi. It was terrible...

: Eh? You lost your dragonstone?!

He did that this time too, Steve.

: I'm afraid so, my girl... Which reminds me, Prince Marth found it for me, back then. I'm truly grateful for his help. ...Dame Steve. I'm sorry to bother you, but if you happen to find my stone, could you bring it back to me?

: Why, of course. I do want to taste your pickled vegetables again after all, Sir Bantu.

Time to find the less important stone!

Munch. (Tiki 1)

: Huh? What's that?

: Oh, this? This is a fried apple. You remove the apple's core, add butter and sugar and fry it. We used to fry and eat old apples like this quite often, back in my village.

This update is entirely food based.

: Is it tasty?

: Of course. Do you want a bite?

: Yeah, I do.

: Alright, then here you go. It's hot so be careful.

: Thanks... It is hot...

: You'll need to blow on it so you won't burn your tongue. Here, like this.

: Okay, got it. Huff, huff. Munch, munch...

: Heehee, yes, just like that. But, even though she's just a little girl now... She becomes a mighty dragon during battle... The dragonkin sure is mysterious...

Steve you are monologuing with her right there.

: Munch?

: No, nothing. Do you want more?

: Munch!

Illusions of the Dark Pontifex (Xane 1)

: Sir Xane! Sir Xaaaane! Oh, c'mon, the war council is about to start. Just where has Sir Xane gone...?

: Oh, c'mon, the war council is about to start. Just where has Sir Xane gone...?

: Huh...? Y-you're...?

: Y-you too?

: I am Steve...

: I am Steve...

: I-it can't be... drat... Then, this must be an illusion created by the Dark Pontifex...! I won't lose to an illusion... Prepare yourself!

: Hey, wait wait!

: Don't hurt me, it's me, it's me! Couldn't you tell it was a joke!?

: S-sir Xane!

: Hey, you and princey take everythin' far too seriously. So I thought I'd try lightenin' the mood. But it looks like my joke backfired. I thought you were going to kill me...

How many people has Steve nearly killed in Supports now?

: F-forgive me. But Sir Xane, you should cut the bad jokes.

: Well well, I didn't mean any harm y'know. I just wanted to put my special ability to good use...

: Check me out. I look exactly like you, don't I?

: Well, you might be right, but...

: Hm? Aw, shucks. I thought I looked the same, but I guess I was a little off.

: Huh? Where?

: Well, I look more feminine and my body is sexier. The real thing looks kinda manly and burly, I guess...

: ...Sir Xane... Could you please repeat what you just said?

: W-wait, l-let me explain...! Don't kill me or torture me or gimme a fate worse than death...! I-I was kiddin', see? Just kiddin'. Hahaha! See ya later!

: Sir Xane, come back here!

Constantly in a loop of getting owned by Xane.

(I knew keeping those old portraits on hand would be nice one day)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Xane is a shadow.

The true self.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Xane plays a dangerous game. One of these days, someone is going disappear him.

I'm astounded that Steve managed to cook something without making it taste like steel and/or death. ...Or maybe Tiki just doesn't know the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

LordHippoman posted:

Phantom Pain is really good and I'm running out of things to say about Jagen, good thing we only have like 12 more of these conversations

Lies! How could you possibly run out of things to say about such a legendary soldier?!

• Locked thread