Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Kajeesus posted:

Do all characters have a color scheme that carries into any class? One of my biggest disappointments in Awakening was that reclassing any character just put their head on a generic blue/black class model.

The only things about the models that are unique to characters are their hair colors (baldness for Wrys/Dolph/etc). The Pink Armor is just because it's a female general, if I were to make any male character General, they would have the standard allied blue A lot of people complain about the art style for this reason, and it's not really unfounded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

vilkacis posted:

Have to approve of

though.

(Pretend my finger's a knife.)

I mean, unless he just wants them to spit on Abel. Spit's pretty gross, not gonna lie.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Update 31: Homebound On The As-Tram (Battle)

Time to take back the castle, because we probably should have gotten around to that earlier, but eh, we had villages to save (with a 50% success rate).

Well, let’s get this map started with Marth decrying the cruelty of thievery.

*JULIAN SWEATS INTENSELY*

: What if they’ve stolen the Geosphere?

Well that would suck and potentially gently caress over an entire run of this game, Marth!

: Sire, we've sighted a suspicious-looking thief making his way north. We should capture him before it's too late.

: Sire, if necessary, I shall recover it. Your orders, my lord!

No, you don’t have nearly the movement for that.

Oh hey, it’s Macellan. Not that other guy.

: Macellan! Did you come here with Dolph?

: Correct. Dolph and I are going to be your reinforcements. Archanea has nothing left for me. For the justice that I believe in, allow me to fight by your side again, Prince Marth.

Okay. Cool.

Macellan isn’t too bad. He’s got a fair amount of room to grow, 19 levels, and his only real iffy stats (aside from Res and Mag) are Speed and Skill, and those aren’t super necessary on a General. Starting with a B in both Lances and Bows is cool too.

Next?

What is going on with Willow’s mustache?

Now that we know their strategy, I will be able to defeat these enemies by playing directly into it. Truly I am a master of Fire Emblem.

First off, gently caress this man.

Trying to split the team about evenly along these two paths, but making sure Jeorge and Julian are with the Left group.

The thieves will make a mad dash for the treasure room, so there’s a bit of a rush required.

Especially with this guy.

And that’s a sigh of relief. Only one more potential missable for the best ending. In battle, the Geosphere is...okay? I’ve never really used it, but I suppose it could be could if you stick it on someone who spends a ton of time on the front lines.

So here’s the first challenge in this mission, Astram is making his last stand here, and, while he’s downright pathetic compared to last time we saw him (and we were much weaker), Mercurius is still a threat even in the least capable hands. If only we had someone who could match the almighty power of a legendary sword.

Yeah, Catria holding a Laundry Pole ought to do okay.

The other team advances as well, and the attacks begin.

Oh, over the wall? Dick move.

Merric agrees.

:getin:

Hey, no, pay attention to that woman with the laundry pole, not the prince!

LAUNDRY CRIT

Good effort.

Okay, I’ll get serious for a second here.

Which, handily, creates enough room for Jeorge to sneak through to Astram.

: Well, if it isn't the turncoat, Jeorge. What form of death would you prefer?

Astram you have one weapon, there are few options.

: H-hold your sword, Astram. Even if you fight here, you've no chance of winning.

: You would have me surrender...? Never! Though I may be the last man standing, I shall fight on. I am a soldier of Archanea!

: Why do you fight? For whom? Emperor Hardin?

: I think not! Not for him. For Princess Nyna... For Archanea!!

I like that apparently literally everyone seems to have realized that Hardin was cartoonishly evil before Marth.

: Then tell me, was it Princess Nyna who ordered you to arms? Do you honestly believe that Princess Nyna would wish for a war like this?

: She...! I have not seen the princess in some time. She has been ill of late. Hardin is the ruler of Archanea and my liege. I've no choice but to obey. If I do not, then I betray Archanea. And I betray Princess Nyna.

: Astram, Princess Nyna entrusted Marth with the Fire Emblem. Do you understand what that entails?

: C-come again?! What are you trying to tell me, Jeorge? Are you suggesting that Princess Nyna asked Prince Marth for help?

: Is there any other reason? Come with us, Astram. See the truth with your own eyes. If you die here, how would Midia feel? Live, Astram, for her. Live, and face the truth of what has come to pass.

: Hmm... I suppose it is unavoidable. But, Jeorge-- Should I learn that this war is a product of Marth's ambition, as Emperor Hardin claims...

And with a restatement of...uh, the closest thing this guy has to a catchphrase, Astram finally joins our side. Was he worth the wait?

No. Not really. Those are pretty mediocre stats for a Level 5 Hero, and his growths are nothing special. He will literally never gain a point of Res in his default class (Not that that’s uncommon), but his mediocre bases and mediocre growths make for a mediocre unit, despite the comparative hype the game drummed up for this guy.

Mercurius is a good prize though.

Now to clean up the heroes here...I kinda wonder if these are supposed to be the remnants of the Hero and Sniper squads that were with Astram and Jeorge in the older chapters?

If so this is a pretty traumatic experience for them, I guess.

Sorry about this.

Malicia keeps out Mage-ing our natural mage.

Lots of weapon drops on this map. Handy for Barst.

These thieves can hit surprisingly hard with Silver weapons.

So, sadly, I don’t kill this guy this turn, but the return of THE HUMAN BOX makes him incapable of hitting anyone but Catria.

Oh, yeah, Luke can go up and around now.

Hey! I need that for Caeda!

I love general catria.

I really wish Sirius was better at speed. This was a double.

Pretty good at getting revenge hits in, though.

LAUNDRY CRIT

Oh, yeah, and since a chest has been opened, this happens.

The gates are open!

This is the reinforcement trigger.

These are both things I want.

Catria wades out to face the oncoming hordes, Laundry Pole in hand. Fearless.

And thus we have most of the stolen items back.

Merric got this patching up Sirius.

And now we have all the thieves took back in our capable (?) hands.

Meanwhile...Catria faces the 1000 Heartless (i can’t believe I made that joke gently caress me)

But a Hammer? No good!

Get outta here.

Taking them to the cleaners.

And now, the rest of the chests.

Also, I realized that Jeorge was in a lovely spot, and I wanted to Rescue him, but apparently that’s not in the Convoy? So… I had to blow one of these.

That purple sparkle rain is me, being disappointed in my actions.

Luckily someone has already squished the enemy phase for us. :haw:

This Laundry Pole is stained in the blood of THOUSANDS

IT ABSORBS THE FLAMES OF HELL

IT SOMETIMES ABSORBS THE FLAMES OF HELL

IT ABSORBS THE FLAMES OF HELL ⅓ OF THE TIME

Killer weapons will never not make me nervous.

Still hate these.

Also, yeah, another Fortify guy was hiding in the throne room. Because of course he was.

Catria needs to back up now...but she did survive that, which was impressive enough for me in its own right.

Time to send in some backup with our other heavy hitter, and a Pure Water for those pesky wizards.

Come at me.

Julian continues raiding Marth’s house.

Barst is probably going to start hitting some caps soon.

I really like the poses both these guys are in.

No, this is how you get a crit, silly.

Just this last batch left.

Sorry, not much to say on these parts, just cleanup. Although this is a pretty good level on Sirius.

That’s the last of ‘em.

And the last of the treasures is an Elysian Whip. So two Falcoknights max now!

Merric is healing people for poo poo levels, as has become all too common lately.

So, now that we’re in position, the Throne Room can be a little tricky.

The Sniper and General are fairly dangerous, but the real threat is two of those drat Swarm bishops, also Willow, who has a new Tome we haven’t seen before, Meteor, a better version of Swarm. Because gently caress you is why.

Barst and Luke Pure Water up before I try anything.

I wanted a better shot of Meteor but, I think that gets the point across.

Meanwhile poo poo BUGS AGAIN

Everyone hates Marth today.

In comparison, this guy deals poo poo for damage.

And a Hand Axe deals with him before things can go wrong. The real issue with this part is if Willow and the Bishops all focus on one unit. If they split their attentions, you should be fine.

Oh, and a Physic Stave gets used.

Barst dispatches the General anyway.

Steve and Marth clear the Swarm guys, and now there’s only one damaging enemy left.

But not for long.

Both of those things are good things.

Sirius is killing off those Bishops for free XP.

Also this. This is going to be one of those items that should come in handy, but I will probably be too nervous to use it until like, the last map, because I’m an idiot.

Anyway, :toot:

: At long last, Altea is ours once more.

: We've all the reason to be happy. But is there news of Elice...?

Oh good, this guy.

Thanks for not telling us that beforehand, you’re a real pal, Gotoh.

: Lord Gotoh...Do you speak truly?!

: I have found out that Gharnef commanded his priests to search for clerics of noble birth. It is most likely that Lena and your sister were spirited away by Gharnef.

I forget if Lena ever says out loud she’s of “Noble Birth”, but she apparently is.

: It can't be! What does he intend to do with them!?

Healer Army.

: That, I do not know. But something foul is on the cards. There can be no doubt of Gharnef's involvement in this series of unfortunate events.

: Lord Gotoh! Where is Gharnef now?

: I believe Princess Nyna is his next target. He is probably... at Archanea's palace.

: I understand. Then I too shall go to Archanea. I still have to free Hardin from the Darksphere's influence. I will defeat the Dark Pontifex Gharnef, and rescue my sister--no, I'll save all of them!

Marth, your naive protagonist is showing.

This next scene (And the Gaiden Chapter) only appear if you finished that last map in under 21 turns (On Hard) or your My Unit is Level 5 or higher, promoted. We got both.

: This place holds a lot of memories for you, doesn't it? Your long days of training... Not to mention you met Katarina here...

Steve does not appreciate these flashbacks.

: ...Ah! Sire…… Please be careful.

: Steve?

: I sense the same enemy presence... as that time. They may already be close...

The legendary power! It really did awaken!

: Sire! We're under attack! It's the assassins!

Little late on that one, Jagen.

: Begin preparations for a counterattack immediately!

We aren’t done liberating Altea yet. One more challenge is in Steve’s way, and it’s probably the one she least wants to see.

Well, if she could see. This would be it.

Next Time:

Update 32: Katarina

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I honestly thought what you were going to do was warp Catria into the treasure room and have her break all the thieves over her knee as they try to get in.

It's one of the more obvious ways to completely gently caress with the map's expectations and I love it.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

inthesto posted:

I honestly thought what you were going to do was warp Catria into the treasure room and have her break all the thieves over her knee as they try to get in.

It's one of the more obvious ways to completely gently caress with the map's expectations and I love it.

I actually haven't considered that in this game. I know it works well in the FE11 version of this map, so I probably should have.

I did come up with a 1 turn win with "Julian opens the door, Malicia Warps Marth to Willow, Marth kills Willow, Feena dances for Malicia, Malicia Again Staffs Marth, Seize, Victory"

But that skips a ton of EXP, the Geosphere, Astram, and a fuckload of treasure, so it would really just be the comedy option.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

inthesto posted:

Having the boss give his "We have them now!" speech only to open the door and find your entire army waiting to charge was really my favorite part about this map when I played it.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.
Astram's hype is more understandable when you remember that in the original game, every stat capped at 20, so Astram was rather strong and his growths were good enough for him to cap a few things.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Falchion, Mercurius, Parthia and Laundry Pole. The holy quartet.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

LifeofaGuardian posted:

Astram's hype is more understandable when you remember that in the original game, every stat capped at 20, so Astram was rather strong and his growths were good enough for him to cap a few things.

Well, it's especially unusual because pretty much the entire cast had their bases and growths changed in the remakes to better fit the modern standards of Fire Emblem (especially in Shadow Dragon). Astram only had his bases changed, and they were lowered.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

Well, it's especially unusual because pretty much the entire cast had their bases and growths changed in the remakes to better fit the modern standards of Fire Emblem (especially in Shadow Dragon). Astram only had his bases changed, and they were lowered.

Yubello's growths and bases are the exact same despite the huge buffs all the other mages got compared to FE3, don't forget.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Katatrina has to be recruitable again, there's no way she isn't with stats so poor.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

RareAcumen posted:

Katatrina has to be recruitable again, there's no way she isn't with stats so poor.

You have no idea. You poor innocent soul that has never played this map. I have no idea why they brought it's gimmick back in awakening.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

LifeofaGuardian posted:

EclecticTastes posted:

Last Celebration posted:

Yubello's growths and bases are the exact same despite the huge buffs all the other mages got compared to FE3, don't forget.

Wow, I never knew any of this. This explains so much about why Yubello is such a garbage pile. I have no idea why they wouldn't fix that, but with the sheer number of characters in this game I could see it just being an oversight.

Darth TNT posted:

Falchion, Mercurius, Parthia and Laundry Pole. The holy quartet.

Ironically for a game that loves lance users so much, the hardest legendary weapon to get is the Lance, because we've only seen it once...and it's on Hardin. It's also really good though.

Laundry Pole can fill in though.

FoolyCharged posted:

You have no idea. You poor innocent soul that has never played this map. I have no idea why they brought it's gimmick back in awakening.

Well (Awakening Spoilers) Gangrel is cool and fun even though he's not great statwise, at least. This has...less of a reward.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Do you have to talk to her and then kill her like Shinon?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Do you have to talk to her and then kill her like Shinon?

Shinon was way easier to deal with, if less intuitive at first. It's a short map and the answers the next update, so I'll leave it at that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Well (Awakening Spoilers) Gangrel is cool and fun even though he's not great statwise, at least. This has...less of a reward.

Yeah, Gangrel has some great banter in the DLC, and manages to combine what was fun about him as a villain with genuine remorse. It's an interesting balancing act. Awakening has a lot of very good supports mixed in with the pies.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

LordHippoman posted:

Wow, I never knew any of this. This explains so much about why Yubello is such a garbage pile. I have no idea why they wouldn't fix that, but with the sheer number of characters in this game I could see it just being an oversight.

Ironically, Yubello was one of the best mages in the original thanks to his 50% Power growth (this was when Strength and Magic weren't split yet), so getting 19 points of magic in 39 levels was rather easy for him.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

On the other hand he couldn't use Nosferatu or Excalibur so despite having a 30% growth lead on Merric and Linde, he's still worse.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 32: Katarina (Prep)

A very short update today to lead up to the big confrontation. There's not much prep stuff to do for this map.

: Master Gharnef is rightfully livid...

: ...Lady Eremiah...

: And yet, Eine. All you can do is stand there, doing nothing. Are you not ashamed of being alive? To die for my sake-- is that not the natural recourse?

I've probably already mentioned this, but I really like Eremiah as a villain, because she's actually legitimately really creepy. Most Fire Emblem villains are evil kings or crazy dragons. Eremiah is just a murder cult nun who just says horrible, awful poo poo.

Like that.

: Tell me, who was it that saved you? Who should you thank for allowing your wretched existence to continue?

: It's all thanks... to you, Lady Eremiah.

: Kill them.

: But... Lady Eremiah...! I... sniff...

: Silence, worthless puppet. You cannot defy my orders. That's what I've "taught" you since you were little. The words I engraved upon your then-young soul will remain there, forever.

: ...Sniff... sniff...

Such a good villain. Anyway...

Only 7 units allowed on this map. Marth and Steve are required. This is, I believe, the only map in the main game (Not prologue) where you are forced to deploy a unit other than Marth.

Still...Swordmaster isn't the best class for this map, and as someone pointed out, Steve has maxed Speed and is probably better off working on her other stats elsewhere.

Abel, I know you've fallen on hard times buddy, maybe you should turn to the ambiguous concept of Fire Emblem God (Naga? Gotoh?) for help.

Horse-Steve is back.

:(

This will actually be helpful.

That would have been helpful last map.

Not much to talk about today, but since Rody got some affection with Steve in How's Everyone last time, we've unlocked his first base conversation.

Our Hero, Steve

: What's going on? What are you doing here?

: Ah! Uh, no-nothing...

: What's that paper you're holding?

Look, sometimes you need a little help with these things.

: ...It's a rough map of the area. I thought it would be a smart idea to take a look around.

: ...And then you got lost. That reminds me, you got lost once during our apprentice days, didn't you?

I would like to imagine that, since this map is so small, Steve getting lost means she wandered directly into the enemy forces, then thought one of those swordmasters was Marth or something. Look, she's got a pretty good disguise already.

(Thanks, Camel Pimp)

: I did. I caused trouble for you guys back then...

: Don't you have any sense of direction? Come on, let's head back. Sir Jagen is looking for you.

: Say, Rody. If you look at my map, where exactly are we right now?

: ...

Our hero, folks.

Chapter 16x: Reunion (with Jagen)

: But, being attacked by assassins in Altea... It reminds me of your knighthood ceremony. You and that assassin, Katarina, spent your days training in the same 7th Platoon... However, this is no time for sentimentality. Steve, you are to protect Prince Marth, just like you did that day.

This map is pretty simple. I barely have to scroll the screen to show you all of it. You can go around the sides of the mountains, but this is a cramped space.

I do find it kind of a nice touch that most of Katarina's soldiers are Berserkers and Snipers. Brings back some memories of a few old friends.

These two Berserkers in the back have Tomahawks. That can be a little troublesome.

Finally, the boss is Katarina herself. Honestly, especially compared to the threat she was in Prologue 8, she is a total pushover. She moves, that's about her greatest advantage.

Naturally she's weak to make the recruitment here even more frustrating.

Next time, the Katarina rematch.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Kill her! Set her free from this mortal torment!

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Bring Feena. Trust me, it makes this map much nicer.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

I would like you to show what happens when you kill her. It's a pretty nice scene. But recruit her and put her to use!

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I actually already screencapped this one. I didn't use Feena because...a certain other character managed to prove why she's been on the team so long. Not Catria for once.

And I got both the Katarina dead and Katarina alive endings.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 32: Katarina (Battle)

So...this map. This map is a gimmick map, there's not much more to it. The enemies can be fairly annoying, but there aren't many of them, and you're stuck in a confined space. The gimmick part comes with if you want to get the better outcome here, so I'll show that later. For now though, let's check on Everyone. (2 people)

Well, neither of those were helpful, but you can't expect a winner in every How's Everyone. Anyway...

: Katarina, if you have reasons, I would like to hear them. I'm sure we can settle this, without resorting to fighting.

: ...I'm sorry. I... I have no choice but to do this.

And we begin.

One interesting thing about this map is that the enemy won't attack until you pass that center point and/or attack them. You always make the first move here.

This is a pretty good first move. This is the key to the whole map for me on this run.

Not many prizes on this map, just this Pure Water and a Vulnerary.

So, I formed everyone up in the middle, with Marth in the back as he's the squishiest, and Ogma there because it's not a good idea to leave somebody open on the corners there, Snipers are here.

What, Malicia? Don't worry. She'll be okay.

Someone with high Defense should be placed at this little chokepoint. Catria can do the job.

Immediately Katarina rushes Marth.

He can survive though, which is all I need him to do.

So, Malicia?

She can use Nosferatu REALLY well.

And get good levels.

And...still use Nosferatu.

And just keep using Nosferatu.

Finally someone goes for not-Malicia after all 3 remaining Zerkers suicided into her.

Buddy. Bad idea.

Also she doubles Swordmasters.

I can't even be upset about this.

Malicia is pretty good.

And, uh, this is what the map looks like after turn 1. I got lucky there.

Might as well patch up Marth a bit while Malicia's not killing things.

Luke and Ogma finish off the Sniper, leaving Katarina alone on the enemy side.

Let's chat.

: Steve. I... had a dream. It was short... but it was a very happy dream. Steve, you and I... Both of us became Royal Guards... We saved many people, received many thanks... And then, the two of us... Steve... I... I'm sorry...

That is the first time that has not worked.

A turn after you trigger the fighting, these guys show up. This is a nasty surprise if you didn't plan for it.

Thankfully Sirius died in a practice run of this so I could learn from my mistakes and just drop the immovable Catria wall!

Marth actually dodged this one.

Malicia's already done work this map, but I couldn't resist this.

Magic. Goooood.

So, uh...try again?

: Please fight me. If you don't, I'll kill you...

Two talks in a row, nothing. For once, it looks like we have to do this the hard way.

Sorry, Katarina. :smith:

I wanted to get this all in screenshots because this is probably the best boss death in the game.

Not much left for us now.

Uh...:toot:?

Goodbye. Next time,

Update 33: En Gra-de!

Okay yeah, that wasn't fooling anyone, here's the real ending.

Don't kill Katarina.

Ogma and Luke finish off the last Berserker this time.

Katarina actually changed targets this time.

It's a video game, so naturally, somewhere, the rule of 3's has got to apply. It's here this time.

: Steve... Why? Why do you refuse to fight...? You must know that you'll die if you don't kill me... And yet, why do you hesitate...?

: Because you're my friend.

Puppets Don't Cry

: ...

: You can't have forgotten: Our days training as knights... The times we fought together with Luke, Rody, Ryan and Cecille... "Together, we'd be an unstoppable team"... That's what you told me.

: That was... That was all... a lie. Everything I did was to deceive you... It was all just a ruse... The truth is... I don't care about you...

: If that's the case...

: ...I'm...not...

: Katarina. You don't belong there. You want to fight alongside me, for Prince Marth. I'm certain of it.

: It's... too late for that. I've committed too many unforgivable sins...

: Then, you'll just have to start atoning for them. It won't be easy. Many people from both Altea and your organization will turn you a cold shoulder... But, I can promise you this. No matter what happens...

: Steve...

: Return to us, Katarina.

: ...Sob... sob... ...Steve... Steve... Steve...!

:toot:

: Please, hand me punishment... worthy of my crimes. Please execute me...

: Raise your head, Katarina. I have no intention of taking your life.

: But... why? I don't deserve to live. Please let me atone with my death...

: That's no atonement. You're just running from your sins.

: Oh...!

: If you truly regret what you've done, then live. I want you to atone with your life, not your death.

: Atone with my life...? But, how? What should I do...? How could I even begin to atone?

: I cannot give you that answer. Until now, you've only followed orders, never thinking for yourself. But that's going to change now. You will think for yourself, and find your own answer. That is my punishment to you.

: Prince Marth...

And with that, we're done. I do kinda like that scene. I think it would hit a little more if A. Katarina was a more interesting character or B. We didn't already have like 20 people in our army who have tried to kill us without being tortured/brainwashed from childhood into it. But hey, for a sequel to a game with pretty much no personalities? It's good.

Next time, remember Gra exists? It kinda does.

Update 33: En Gra-de!

So let's go over Katarina real quick because we got her. She's one of the hardest characters to actually recruit, so of course she's...not very good. The fact that a lot of the difficulty in recruiting her is dancing around trying not to accidentally kill her because she attacked your hand axe Barst or whatever is a pretty big clue on that.

For a level 7 Sage, those stats are really subpar. That's half of Malicia's Magic, and she's level...12? Her Magic growth is also only 40%, which hurts her. That said, the rest of her growths are pretty decent (75% Speed is some good stuff!), but there's just not enough time/levels left to elevate her above "okay" even with a lot of grinding. If you've been using any of the other mages the game has been throwing at you (Merric, Elrean, Etzel, etc.) or reclassing to make your own (Malicia, I hear Cecille is good), Katarina is, sadly, redundant.

I will take another Nosferatu though.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 30, 2015

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Katarina is probably one of my favorite Fire Emblem characters just because of that screenshot of her crying and Puppets Don't Cry.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

So I ran some numbers. Here's Katarina when we first saw her stats.

Now if you subtract these and her promotion bonuses(26 0 9 8 8 0 3 3 starting with hp and top to bottom) from when we encounter her again here:

We can now see how many stats she gained in the 17 levels she got since we last saw her:
2 0 1 6 6 6 5 2
Not too impressive.. wait a minute.
2 0 1! 6 6 6 5 2

She really does idolize Steve!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
You could even make the argument that she promoted immediately at 10, but even so... :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Immediately Catria rushes Marth.

Katarina.

So, just kill everyone except her is the recruitment path huh? I was expecting more bullshit.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

RareAcumen posted:

Katarina.

So, just kill everyone except her is the recruitment path huh? I was expecting more bullshit.

You have to talk to her with the MU three times, while she stays aggressive. (Honestly, its more likely that she suicides on one of your beefy asskickers than that she kills one of your units to force a restart, but.)

theshim
May 1, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Katarina.

Nah. You need to have Steve talk to her three times to recruit her. It is possible to do this in one turn with Feena and an Again staff, but usually you end up having to survive the onslaught without actually killing Katarina, so it's a little tricky.

FE12 had some pretty great side chapters, honestly. They were fun little self-contained challenges.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Katarina.

More like kill everyone except her and then try to stop her from suicide by Altea for 3 turns.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, I noticed the part where she stayed aggressive. I was just expecting it to be far worse than the AI constantly trying to break itself on you.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I like how Steve in the flashback has her current look instead of the look we actually started the game with. :allears:

Please tell me we're going introduce Eremiah to the business end of ONE MAG at some point.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It's not a bad chapter regardless of what you do, but I really wish she would be a good character so you'd actually have some reason to put her in your party if you do recruit her...

'Course, she'd be an even bigger pain to recruit, but that just makes it more rewarding.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, I noticed the part where she stayed aggressive. I was just expecting it to be far worse than the AI constantly trying to break itself on you.
Well, one strategy is to place Steve unarmed in the middle of everything, draw the attention of everyone and pick off the generics with the rest of the crew. Of course, this strategy is heavily dependent on the RNG not dropping a surprise dropkick to the nads in the form of bullshit crits and other methods of surprise (such as Hippoman losing Sirius to the surprise reinforcements).

Thankfully, Hippoman had the RNG smile on him by letting Malicia go completely apeshit on the enemies with Nosferatu. Of course, this means the other shoe is going to drop hard for Hippoman very soon because that's how Fire Emblem RNGTM rolls.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

vilkacis posted:

It's not a bad chapter regardless of what you do, but I really wish she would be a good character so you'd actually have some reason to put her in your party if you do recruit her...

She has a reason and a purpose. She must follow in Steve's footsteps, class change to swordmaster, and then use the holy blade ONE MAG to smite lady eremiah.

Then we can dump her worthless butt on the bench.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Nosfertanking is and has always been crazy overpowered, despite attempts to limit it. And I told you a long time ago about Queen Shitwrecker Malicia :getin:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

LifeofaGuardian posted:

Katarina is probably one of my favorite Fire Emblem characters just because of that screenshot of her crying and Puppets Don't Cry.

Puppets Don't Cry is really good and I'm kinda sad they didn't bring it back for Katarina's cameo in Awakening...even though it wouldn't have fit her there at all.

FoolyCharged posted:

2 0 1 6 6 6 5 2
Not too impressive.. wait a minute.
2 0 1! 6 6 6 5 2

She really does idolize Steve!

This post made me laugh way too hard. I love how well this points out FE12 loving to try and gently caress you over. "Oh, well, when you first fight her, she's ridiculous. When you can recruit her? She'll probably accidentally commit suicide on you. AND THERE'S A VILLAGE BEHIND YOU, HOPE YOU SCROLLED DOWN!"

Thankfully a lot of those sneaky dick moves are easy to counter if you've played the map through before. I'm still not defending Chapter 12's "just spawn a million loving dragons" thing though.

RareAcumen posted:

Katarina.

Well, it totally was Catria, she was going for the betrayal so she could get a cool scene like Katarina, but she got cold feet.

And yeah, as people pointed out, it's just "Talk to her 3 times with MU". I should have made that a bit more clear in the update. This game has very few bullshit recruitments. There's one much, much later, and the next chapter has 2 that can be a little "what" if you aren't reading the text and listening to Jagen yell "DON'T DO THE THING, PRINCE MARTH".

If you want Bullshit, I hear FE5 has a ton of them, but I've never played it myself. FE10 has one though, that requires you to get a specific A support in FE9, transfer that save data to FE10 on the Wii, trigger a specific conversation in the late game that can easily be pretty suicidal to get because it involves ramming yourself against the game's most powerful foe, then running away, and reaching the very last chapter, at which point the character will join you for the final battle. And it all has to be on at least a second playthrough. It's dumb.

W.T. Fits posted:

I like how Steve in the flashback has her current look instead of the look we actually started the game with. :allears:

Please tell me we're going introduce Eremiah to the business end of ONE MAG at some point.

I really was tempted to make jokes about Steve's apparent time warping abilities (oh, that's the legendary power.), but I didn't want to ruin that scene.

And don't worry...

FoolyCharged posted:

She has a reason and a purpose. She must follow in Steve's footsteps, class change to swordmaster, and then use the holy blade ONE MAG to smite lady eremiah.

Then we can dump her worthless butt on the bench.

I have PLANS for Eremiah. (Probably either ONE MAG or a joke weapon)

vilkacis posted:

'Course, she'd be an even bigger pain to recruit, but that just makes it more rewarding.

Yeah, I'm honestly not sure why Katarina is so lackluster after all the buildup. I know I said the same thing about Astram, and people let me know why, but with Katarina there was no precedent from the SNES version, she's new, and she seems to just be bad to make her a little harder to recruit.

AradoBalanga posted:

Well, one strategy is to place Steve unarmed in the middle of everything, draw the attention of everyone and pick off the generics with the rest of the crew. Of course, this strategy is heavily dependent on the RNG not dropping a surprise dropkick to the nads in the form of bullshit crits and other methods of surprise (such as Hippoman losing Sirius to the surprise reinforcements).

Thankfully, Hippoman had the RNG smile on him by letting Malicia go completely apeshit on the enemies with Nosferatu. Of course, this means the other shoe is going to drop hard for Hippoman very soon because that's how Fire Emblem RNGTM rolls.

Oh, the next map has Dracoknight reinforcements streaming in from every side, I'm sure I'm going to get ruined at least once, there's a lot going on in that one.

And, regarding the Nosferatu strategy, here's why I think that works.

The enemies in FE12 generally will attack whoever they can do the most damage to. Katarina is Magic, all the lackeys are physical. So someone with low defense and high Res is ignored by Katarina and pulls the goons in, like Malicia. Nosferatu ensures she survives.

Then you just need to make sure everyone can handle a hit from Katarina, who does a max of 21 damage, minus Res. Also make sure nobody has a Hand Axe or Javelin equipped in range of her.

The last real "gently caress you" is those two surprise Berserkers, who are actually a lot stronger than the other ones. They only have 1 range weapons though, so you can just put someone beefy in the chokepoint (If you haven't leveled a good general, Macellan works, you got him last map for free!).

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
f-steve and katarina are the gayest non-couple and it's great. like the subtext is thick enough to cut with a knife.

also as recruitment gimmicks go at least this one is interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Katarina is basically your last chance for a competent mage if Malicia didn't hit her speed procs/you aren't using Linde or Merric. Etzel is just too slow on higher difficulties. Katarina's magic is low but if you are using her as your mage she is guaranteed the 3 spirit dusts plus she has plenty of opportunity to gain easy and safe experience with C staves.

• Locked thread