Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

What if Marth was a little more motivated when it came to war? Thanks to the blink animation we can find out.

: Slackers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

: You know what they did, Steve?

: Empty levels. The universe wanted them to die.

: I'm sure you will understand when the time comes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That's one reason I like Shadow Dragon. Because you're encouraged to kill people off on a regular basis, you can imagine Marth becoming shockingly callous.

My favorite thing to do was play safely and normally until a Gaiden chapter was due and then take all the people who'd been sitting on the bench into the field and rush the enemy. It made for some hilariously gruesome gameplay. I loved it.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

vilkacis posted:

Oh good, I'm glad training is proceeding as planned and that there's nothing suspicious going on in the background whatsoever.

I was almost tempted to cut some stuff out because come on game. But no, this is the pure strain FE12 experience (Minus some ellipses I pressed A on too fast and general competence of the player.)

Lotish posted:

Cecille is a tricky character in my experience. Her best chance to have generally good stats before promotion is to stick with Cavalier to maximize her strength and defense growths (45% and 30% respectively) but those are only 5% better than swapping to Peg Knight at the earliest opportunity and treating her like a discount Whitewing. I've actually had success raising her as a mage (50% growth in magic; better than Merric's!) and then reclassing her to sword master once Levin Swords enter the game.

I was never good at reclass juggling, but that's interesting. Although this game is full of good Pegasus Knights and we have a Mage MU, so we should be okay (if Steve ever loving gains Mag again)

The Blinking Marth Face posted:

Tempted to just start mixing this into updates to replace the regular Marth portrait.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Cecille has good mage stats, and since the other early female magic characters join at fairly low levels, there's really no harm in just benching her until reclass shows up and seeing how she turns out... But the fact that she has a literal 0 Defense and 0% Defense growth rate as a Mage has always turned me off. Sure, that's not much better than the 2/5% of the first female mage to join, but a 0% Defense growth rate just makes a tiny part of me start screaming. I prefer to hold off for a while for the one that gets 3/15% once reclassed to Mage.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

LordHippoman posted:

Tempted to just start mixing this into updates to replace the regular Marth portrait.

He had one that looked delightfully smug, in the flashback talk with Hardin. Sadly it was both sepia toned and in shadow (due to Hardin speaking).

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

LordHippoman posted:

Yes.

Yessssssss.

Heh. I almost want to use Cecille after that, but unfortunately she's...bad. Or at least she always has been for me. I'm sure someone's had a great Cecille that they'll slap me with after I post this.

Lotish posted:

Her best chance to have generally good stats before promotion is to stick with Cavalier to maximize her strength and defense growths (45% and 30% respectively) but those are only 5% better than swapping to Peg Knight at the earliest opportunity and treating her like a discount Whitewing. I've actually had success raising her as a mage (50% growth in magic; better than Merric's!) and then reclassing her to sword master once Levin Swords enter the game.
I've done both of these actually (because come on, how could you not use Cecille after that introduction:allears:) and Cecille turned out good both times. For going physical, I switched between Cavalier/Peg Knight based on the map (post-promotion you can even make her a General for defense). Going magic is also cool like Lotish suggested, Cecille can even use Nosferatu to offset some of her squishiness.

Cecille would be completely loving awesome in FE6/7/8/Awakening since Speed/dodging is king in those games and Defense is less important, but this is FE 12 so you always have to be aware of her somewhat low Defense.

LordHippoman posted:

I was never good at reclass juggling, but that's interesting. Although this game is full of good Pegasus Knights and we have a Mage MU, so we should be okay (if Steve ever loving gains Mag again)
More flying units is always good. You can never have enough flying units in this game.:colbert:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 3, 2014

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

fade5 posted:

Cecille would be completely loving awesome in FE6/7/8/Awakening since Speed/dodging is king in those games and Defense is less important, but this is FE 12 so you always have to be aware of her somewhat low Defense.

We have this with one of our cavaliers, June, in Awful Emblem. She's easily one of the best characters in the game right now with a 45% Skill, 50% speed growth. She tears through the game and probably needs a nerf of some type. Speed is a powerful stat in 6/7/8.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

NullBlack posted:

He had one that looked delightfully smug, in the flashback talk with Hardin. Sadly it was both sepia toned and in shadow (due to Hardin speaking).

:smuggo:

That is pretty good, and I'm sad I didn't notice it.

Anyway I'm going to start working on Prologue 7 soon, but I bought Bravely Default yesterday so it might take a little longer than usual. It's still just a prologue chapter, though, and since I'm splitting Battle Prep and actual battles it shouldn't be too many screencaps.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

LordHippoman posted:

Do It.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

I can barely manage to lift my sword over my head, but I still know that I'm just better than you.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Part 7: Graduation Day (Battle)

Welcome back. Last time we had a heart-to-heart with a couple of our companions, Cecille decked Luke in the nose, and Frey babbled.

Also the entire scene was sabotaged by the blink animation.

Now, we face our final test as junior knights, in a map that took me way too many tries while not screencapping, and then worked on my first attempt when I actually started doing screencaps.

(Warning: This map contains copious use of "Draug stands on chokepoint". If you are allergic to Draug Standing On Chokepoint, please do not view this part of "Let's Play Fire Emblem 12")

As soon as the map starts Cain bounds across the field to talk to us. How nice.

This is the last Cain "suspense" segment, everyone. Breathe it in.

Then he ran back across the map, presumably giggling all the way.

This map puts us up against more enemies than we've ever faced, and we have pretty tight quarters to start with. Those archers severely limit even the mobile Caeda's zone of safety. My goals for this map are:

1. Clear it.
2. Get Luke some XP.

So this is how I set things up. Luke and Draug are blocking access to our part of the map, forcing the enemies to slam into them. Ryan and Steve can provide covering fire from a safe position, Wrys can heal when Vulnerarys just aren't enough, and Caeda...uh...sits there.

As soon as Enemy Phase begins, Cain warns us about Obesity, the Silent Killer.

Just as planned...

:effort:

This is how things look as our turn resumes. The archer that hit Draug is behind the blue box, if you couldn't see him.

Knights have enough armor to make most of our physical attacks pretty weak, but we have another option.

That's nice.

Wrys patches up Luke here, so he can weather the next attacks. (Also note Steve's position)

Get used to this shot. It happens a lot.

Not bad. A few rare stats for Luke, and most of his key ones, except Strength.

That archer diverts his attention from Draug to Steve, doing considerably more damage, but also eating a faceful of Elfire for his trouble.

Wrys can handle Steve's wounds,, and Ryan finishes off the archer that caused them.

The thing to note here is that I'm switching Luke to an Iron Sword so he doesn't kill the Knight. If he did, he would be open to attack from one of those Myrmidons, which could be bad. I also pop a vulnerary to keep him at top shape.

Ready for poo poo to get messy?

I'm dumb and missed the screengrab, but as soon as Cain says this, another Cavalier, an Archer, and a Peg Knight pop out of the forts.

This is bad. If I had left, say, Steve or Caeda in the wrong spot, they would be murdered. And on Hard and above, reinforcements can act the turn they appear.

The cavalier is a non-issue, because of the roadblock Luke and Draug have, but that archer has range over the north river, and the peg knight can fly down and hit us from behind the chokepoint.

Business as usual here, though. The archer takes a shot at Ryan.

This was a little worrying. I'm lucky Steve didn't get doubled.

On our fourth turn, things are looking notably more cluttered. Oh, and that northern cavalier is Cain. He rides down with his reinforcements to gently caress with us.

Unfortunately, the Peg. Knight's lust for Steveblood has put her directly in Ryan's crosshairs.

Now that I don't have to worry about a counterattack, I let Luke finish the Knight and Wrys heal him up.

Are those like the only things Wrys has growths in? He can't even use the speed, except to not get doubled.

I'm ending our turn here. Can you spot the potential problem in this screenshot?

Ouch. The archer moved into the open space and went for Wrys. That's not a huge deal, but it means I have to blow a turn killing him.

Ryan phases the poor guy out of existence. (He was blinking)

2 stats? Little disappointing for Ryan, but I like Strength enough that I'm not too bothered.

Get outta there, Wrys. You've done enough.

Now it's the Myrmidon's turn to step into the Draug/Luke Danger Zone.

Phased out of existence by Ryan again.

Then I realized with the lack of ranged threats, aside from that archer on the west side of the map doing...nothing, it was okay for Wrys to stand here. Also Caeda has not moved a muscle during this map.

You know how this goes by now.

Oh hey, I actually got him while he was still corporeal.

He dropped this. I dropped it right afterwards because...eh.

Now for the big guns.

Cain shows his face, and

Goes for Draug? Who has better defensive stats? Uh, okay.

Oh, that's why. He can double him.

You are a beautiful man, Wrys.

Caeda gets off her rear end and does something. I move Ryan out of the way because I want to show Cain something.

:fuckoff:

Mag! Glorious Mag!

Oh, and he had this for some reason.

I move Luke up to plug the hole left by Cain, and do some damage to the other Cavalier.

He is rewarded with all 3 stats I really care about. :toot:

So now...oh, come on. What has this guy been doing?

That'll teach him to hide in the corner all map...like I did.

:toot:

This, of course, can change depending on how well you did in the Prologue.

:ohdear:

:)

You should just play this for the rest of the update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw-_Ew5bVxs

Game, stop making me want to use this character :argh:

:wal:: *Beyond the grave sobbing* And get a haircut, hippie!

And so, we fade out to...uh...this.

: Ah, Steve. What are you doing up so late at night?

: Steve, have I ever told you about the town I was born in?

That's a whole country, Steve.

Wuh oh.

:eng101: A location from FE11, Knorda is a "market" in the English versions of the game. But that's actually some minor censorship. Full title is "Knorda Slave Market". :ohdear:

: In Knorda, I was treated like an animal, beaten for fun. Whenever I couldn't stand the pain, I'd just close my eyes and think of nothing, taking refuge within my heart's confines...

: She showed me the meaning of life. I felt that I would do anything for her. Steve, do you have someone like that in your life?

: Not long now, is it...? It won't be long until we become Altean knights. When that happens... ......... Good night, Steve.

And now for something completely different/silly.

How is it daytime again? :confused:

The miracle of vision is within our grasp.

Uh. So, I get the feeling nobody will want this. Blind bangs Steve is kinda iconic of her at this point. But I saved here, so if there's huge demand for Cecille's haircut, I can do it. Just let me know. If you'd rather keep Steve's trademark mop, mention that too.

For now I said no.

Well, next time is the last prologue chapter and the graduation ceremony. So I'm sure it'll be a peaceful day, nothing will go horribly wrong, and...

Oh, I'll just show it.

:gonk:

Next time on Fire Emblem 12...

Shocking twists!
Violence!
More talking!

All of this and more in the Season Finale of Fire Emblem 12, Part 8: The Art Of Foreshadowing.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 8, 2015

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

As soon as Enemy Phase begins, Cain warns us about Obesity, the Silent Killer.

Aw, come on. Draug is just big boned.

quote:

Are those like the only things Wrys has growths in? He can't even use the speed, except to not get doubled.

He gets tomes on promotion, right? :science:

Steve's eyes must remain covered. The fate of worlds depends on it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that this game lets you collect hairstyles for your custom unit. It's kind of adorable.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Why not at least show off a picture of what steve would look like, or even do the next chapter with the new hairstyle and then revert it back? I believe the game has the option to do so.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Why not at least show off a picture of what steve would look like, or even do the next chapter with the new hairstyle and then revert it back? I believe the game has the option to do so.

I agree that at least seeing what Steve would look like with the new style would be nice, even if we don't switch to it permanently.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
You get bonus dialogue for every hairstyle from Marth, who is just kind of like wtf over them so there is that at least.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Look, don't say I didn't warn you.

the eyes

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
With eyes as dull as that, she might actually be blind.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I did not know this about Knorda's full name.

Also I think the blind, dead eyes actually make Steve look creepier.

:zombie: Am I a genki-girl yet?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Do you intend to give Steve a major role in fighting the next boss? I always thought that was appropriate.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

megane posted:

Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see.

The Tragedy of Stevipus Rex.

MightyPretenders posted:

Do you intend to give Steve a major role in fighting the next boss? I always thought that was appropriate.

Spoilery Answer: Yes, because Katarina has a pretty high attack power with that tome, and nobody but Steve, Caeda, and Merric (Who I've not touched since Prologue 5) are decent in Res right now. Maybe Wrys, but he can't fight back. Caeda would probably be the best choice, but Steve is almost for sure going to do some of the heavy lifting against Katarina.

No-Spoilers Answer: Uh huh.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Part 8: The Art Of Foreshadowing (Prep)

Let's just jump right into this one. Last time we fought Cain. We won.

: It's thanks to Steve The Timid that we've come this far. Aren't you all glad that I conceded commandership to her?!

Not the words I would use.

: But he does have a point. We made it this far because you were here, Steve...

Steve's shyness is built from a lifetime of hiding in her own bangs.

Setting Jagen on fire, punching Luke, ...uh...

: It's time, everyone. We should head to the ceremony room. Our induction will be held there.

Following Cain's obesity lecture last chapter, this part of Fire Emblem 12 will focus on the dangers of hazing. Luke is going to drown in a keg.

:eng101: Anri was an ancient king of Altea who killed Medeus. The first time. Then Marth did the second time. We'll hear more about him.

:argh: BLINK ANIMATION :argh:

Katarina, like many of you, is probably just waiting for the interesting bit.

Oh hey, Soldier! I see you're rocking the "Marth Hair Blue" armor now.

Rush Week at Kappa Delta Jagen usually ends in at least one pledge impaled on his shoulder spikes.

:monocle:

You are the worst generic soldier in Fire Emblem. And that's saying a lot.

There's a fade out here.

Well I'm sure Rody's totally right here.

...Oh. Well. I'll shut up for this next bit.

Cecille's a little...slow on the uptake.

:ohdear:

And with that bombshell, we hit the final prologue chapter. This one features the most units so far, both on our side and the enemy's, and a pretty dangerous boss to match. It's a fitting finale.

Oh hey, we finally have the main character. Well, of the first game and the original. Marth is solid all around, but is stymied by the fact that he can't promote to a new class at level 20, like nearly everyone else. Still, he's pretty good, gets access to a few exclusive weapons (one you can see here, the Rapier, which does triple damage to mounted units and armor knights/generals), and you literally have to deploy him. So he'll be seeing a lot of use.

I also decided to bring Cain in for the final prologue chapter. He's much like he was in Shadow Dragon, a cavalier with decent stats all around, but a focus on high skill and speed. His buddy Abel isn't here, but he'll still work well on his own.

The throne room is packed with enemies, Barbarians, Hunters, Mages, Thieves, and Katarina herself, who is probably the strongest boss yet. That 19 Atk with a ranged magic weapon is deadly in a stage of the game where most people have 0-2 Resistance. She even hits people like Steve or Caeda for around 13.

That blue circle is a save point. Moving a unit onto it allows you to make a "checkpoint" of sorts.

Anyway, Base Convo time.

Best Friends Forever (Except the one who's trying to murder us)

It takes Marth days to scrub the blood out of the throne room after most knighthood ceremonies. Jagen gets a little intense.

You know, that poses a good question, isn't there a back door to the throne room?

Hmm...

: Steve...

Better.

Cecille you were in one battle and you passed out weapons.

Also all those other people who have just kinda been hanging around with us. Like Wrys.

Cecille Has Trouble With The Plot Twist

Oh Katarina. Let us count the ways.

-Showing up to be a knight with no combat training.
-Mysterious access to high quality weaponry.
-Randomly crying in the woods for no reason.
-Up late at night skulking around the castle.
-Always acting like it's the last time you'll see someone.

...Admittedly I still didn't see it coming the first time. Then again it was in Japanese.

And now the stage is set for the last prologue chapter. Will Steve and friends (minus one friend) succeed against the assassins?

Well, probably. But still, read the next part, okay? It makes me happy. :blush:

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 8, 2015

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I refuse to believe you're not doing this accidentally :v:

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
Personally I prefer the bandanna, the fringe just looks kinda... doofy...

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

BlackPersona posted:

I refuse to believe you're not doing this accidentally :v:

You are correct, those were random. I actually went back and rewatched the scene on Youtube to make sure that wasn't just her default expression for that part.

Really this entire LP is at the whim of the blink animation, because it's funnier than I am, at least. That's why Steve's eyes have to be covered, so she can never fall victim to its curse. Speaking of that:

xelada posted:

Personally I prefer the bandanna, the fringe just looks kinda... doofy...

Sorry, but you were the only one to speak up in support of the bandanna, and I already screencapped and saved :(. People love the blind Steve.

Fear not though, there will be more chances to see Steve with different hairstyles later. I'll make sure to use at least one of them. Hats too!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The problem with the bangs is that that joke's going to wear out pretty quickly.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

The problem with the bangs is that that joke's going to wear out pretty quickly.

I'm surprised people don't think it's worn out already.

Don't worry though, I will at least do a change in a few chapters, when we get the Pope Hat from Wendell. I can't remember if girls get the option to shave their head like Wrys in 3x, but if they do, that might be an avenue worth going down.

I'm going to try and at least show a screenshot of all the hairstyles. Since they're removable after one chapter anyway, I could always just use them as they come and keep whichever ones people seem to like best around. That'll probably be something worth asking the thread about when I get there.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 6, 2014

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dang. I liked the bandanna look. Ah, well. C'est la guerre.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

All characters get the same options, but iirc male ones look better in most of them. A female avatar just gets a buzzcut from Wrys while a male one is actually bald, and they get a nicer HAT too. Even with the hairband, we just got Cecile's hair while a male avatar would get something that's not a carbon copy. (Well, it's basically Ike's hair, but he's not in this game.)

Anyway, for future ones, the last thread had a good thing going with using the new options for one map and then holding a vote to keep them or not. Wouldn't mind seeing the same here.

xelada posted:

the fringe just looks kinda... doofy...

That's the point. :colbert:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Part 8: The Art Of Foreshadowing (Battle)

Last time, Katarina betrayed us and let a pack of assassins into the castle. Now, we finish off the prologue with the biggest battle yet, and the showdown starts with...Roro.

I suppose this confirms Roro was behind the events of Prologue 5, but I doubt he really needed to do it. Marth trusted Katarina just fine. He's not really the skeptical type.

So, there are a ton of enemies on this map. I'm marking these Hunters in particular to make a Caeda No Fly Zone.

Ryan and Luke double team the Thief on the left here.

Steve and Draug go right.

I'm moving Cain here to block the hunter from hitting Steve. This is a dumb idea. But you'll see that in a minute.

And I want Marth in range too.

These Barbarians have Silver Axes. That's a rank B weapon, and outside of special cases, the strongest a weapon can get.

Alright, this is the part that almost got bad. That Barbarian would have taken off nearly half Cain's health, but he missed, thanfully.

Cain doesn't miss.

Hey, whenever Luke gained Def or HP in the last few updates? Thanks.

And some chip damage on Cain and Draug. I guess Cain wouldn't have died if the Barbarian hit him, but better safe than sorry.

4 enemies left in the northern part of the map, and 8 units to kill them with. One is Wrys, so more like 7.

Holy poo poo, Ryan. I am sorry for all the times I made fun of you, you're pulling MVP in this run.

Some more Wrys healing here.

A Wrys level without Speed and Res?

Cleaning up the three enemies on the right side here.

And Luke disappoints me :(

Just the hunter left, and Marth softens him up.

Uh, Steve? Why are you stopping to read?

Oh. Critical. Yeah, those animations are dull as hell in the DS games. For comparison, in the GBA ones, Mages would draw a magic glyph in the air and shoot spells through it. Steve just kinda...leafs through the pages.

Overkill, but eh. Enemy Phase starts, and two more thieves flood in.

That was the only one that could reach us.

Marth and Steve run cleanup.

Wrys is blocked off by that drat blue box, but trust me, he's there. Ryan doesn't have magical self repair. Behold the power...

OF WRYS!

:effort:

Cain ends the parade of embarrassment by smacking this thief to death.

And Luke, also ashamed of Wrys, just Vulnerary's himself.

Smooth moves, Marth.

Those enemies who were towards the bottom of the room at the start are in range now, and they begin their assault.

So, these are the enemies left on the map for now, along with Katarina and her two thief bodyguards at the bottom. Two more thieves are going to spawn in, but for now (Lost a run right before this to that happening), it's just these guys we have to worry about.

So, I make a mistake here. This range is for the thieves next to Katarina, but they won't move until she does. I...might have forgotten that.

I love when Ryan kills a guy and I screenshot it as he blinks, because it's just this empty hallway.

Marth is able to reduce this Barb to critical health, and avoid the counterattack. Good start to his career.

Luke doesn't dodge as well, but it's not all bad.

Yay. This will help in the coming...actual game.

Draug's decent attack power is really helpful here.

Another rather lackluster level from Steve. But hey, at least she's not in the teens for HP anymore.

But that was the last use of Steve's original Fire Tome. Goodbye, old friend.

Holding out here for the last few reinforcements.

Who I finally remember to screencap :downs:

Unfortunately for them, their attacks do little but give Draug a level up.

The mighty prince will not be outdone by his personality-less bodyguards!

But Draug...

Will not be outdone that easily.

And with that heal, Wrys is totally useless now. I mean, I had an extra heal staff. But I forgot it.

FIRE EMBLEM!

Well, not totally useless. Cain can still steal his Vulnerary.

And now, a Vulnerary montage.

This has been a Vulnerary montage.

So, this is the most annoying part of the whole map.

If I send in Caeda to soak up Katarina's first hit, one of her thieves does enough damage to kill her afterwards. I can't pull Katarina without pulling the thieves. So, I have to find the one character with enough HP to withstand Katarina's attack and a thief follow up. Thankfully, Cain serves that purpose.

And yes, I tried to use Wrys, but the thieves made it impossible. Sorry.

Although, oddly enough, the Thief doesn't even bother attacking Cain. He goes for Draug instead.

The thief also throws in with a sweet jump.

Now for the cleanup.

drat. Cain does not disappoint.

Luke finally gets revenge for the infamous "personality" :iceburn: of Prologue 6.

But the only one who can end this

Is STEVE THE TIMID!

Dude, if you had helped, this map would have been near impossible. You have only yourself to blame.

:toot:

Luckily, outside of the ending there, that map wasn't so bad.

: I am prepared to receive any kind of punishment.

: Steve, Katarina looked at you with such kind eyes...

Marth has never seen the blink animation.

: To think you would be concerned for the very assassin who made an attempt on your life...

I know Jagen is supposed to come off as the grumpy old man who doesn't understand the power of friendship here, but I kinda agree with him. She did just try to murder ALL OF US.

Look, if I have to fight loving Dr. Peace again, the LP is over.

: We must prepare a guard who will defend you, sire, with his or her life...

: When the time comes, I want you to guard me. And, if possible... I want you to help her.

And, on that note, I'm going to cut here. Next time, we say goodbye to our companions, and learn what's next in store for Steve and her remaining non-murderer friends.

Also, a look into what would have happened had I answered a few questions differently.

See you guys for Part 9: Prologue Wrap-up.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

...and that is why Cain comes with a new heal staff.

This battle is kinda :psyduck: the first time around. Silver weapons? In the prologue? Oh god not the face.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

You know, it just occurred to me that I kind of wish Katarina's job was based on whatever class the MU had, to make them rivals and mirrors of each other. Like make her a peg knight with a javelin if you're a mage, or a myrmidon if you pick fighter. It would have been kind of neat.

You played this a lot more aggressively than I normally do. I prefer to bait the reinforcements before I face the silver weapon guys, just to be on the safe side.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

vilkacis posted:

...and that is why Cain comes with a new heal staff.

This battle is kinda :psyduck: the first time around. Silver weapons? In the prologue? Oh god not the face.

Yeah, I lost the Heal Staff in the inventory shuffle. It's probably on Cecille or something.

Lotish posted:

You know, it just occurred to me that I kind of wish Katarina's job was based on whatever class the MU had, to make them rivals and mirrors of each other. Like make her a peg knight with a javelin if you're a mage, or a myrmidon if you pick fighter. It would have been kind of neat.

You played this a lot more aggressively than I normally do. I prefer to bait the reinforcements before I face the silver weapon guys, just to be on the safe side.

I think that would have been a better way to handle this part. I guess mage makes the most sense, because it's easiest to conceal from a "I'm totally incapable of fighting" perspective, but it works out.

And I never really thought of baiting the reinforcements. I usually just do this on this chapter, but usually I have a more bulky MU, so I had to tank more with Cain/Draug. That would probably be a bit easier to handle.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

LordHippoman posted:

Yeah, I lost the Heal Staff in the inventory shuffle. It's probably on Cecille or something.
What about the one in Steve's inventory, just under the Elfire tome?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You should start a counter for how many times people talk about seeing things to Steve.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

What about the one in Steve's inventory, just under the Elfire tome?

oh no.

oh no I'm incompetent.

When you're sorting like 80 pictures of this chapter they sort of blend together and melt your mind I guess.

Honestly no idea how I didn't see that.

BlitzBlast posted:

You should start a counter for how many times people talk about seeing things to Steve.

Tempting, but I think the general sentiment is that the "blind" gag is getting old. However, I have no qualms with running a joke into the ground, as you can tell if you've read any previous parts of this LP.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

It'll be like Avatar; Steve can be Toph, and everyone else can be Sokka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Marth would go down in history as one of the greatest kings of all time, beloved by his people, feared by his enemies, and a hope for the future his knights would swear to protect.

But to Steve, he was either an idiot who didn't realize she was blind or just an rear end.

• Locked thread