Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Update 33: En Gra-de! (Prep)

So, Gra kinda sucks. This is a fact of the Fire Emblem universe. All they did was betray Altea in the intro to Shadow Dragon and try to kill Marth in the Prologue. Still, they exist, and since they exist to be assholes, we're going to have to make a quick detour to deal with them again.

So let's just take care of that before we go deal with Hardin.

Narrator: However, the Kingdom of Gra, ally to Archanea, stood in their path. Gra allied with Dolhr in the previous war; King Jiol fell in battle, and the kingdom was lost.

Gra was annexed to Altea at one point, but, by Emperor Hardin's order, it was returned to Archanea. Hardin found King Jiol's daughter, Princess Sheema, and allowed her to take the throne, providing support to Gra. Sheema received fanatical support from her people.
To them, Sheema was their only hope. The youths volunteered to become soldiers one after the other.

And then, happily moved out to exact revenge on Altea, their bitter enemy. However, their dreams were shattered...Before the fast approaching Altean elites, the Gra soldiers lost the will to fight
and started fleeing for their lives.

It's kind of funny that the game has the enemies suddenly acknowledge "Oh god, the player's army is just an unstoppable torrent of death after 17+ chapters at this point."

: The late king Jiol--our enemy in the last war--was a general himself.

: I see. An army with strong defenses...

: In the past, yes. I hear that Gra's army now consists of new recruits. Hardly worthy enemies. Speaking of strong defenses, Steve...

Steve will never get Jagen's true respect.

This will be extra rude when we actually see the enemies.

Well, before we do anything, he's been waiting 3 chapters for this now.

Glad to have you back, Navbvba.

Also I'm sick of watching Sirius get doubled by everything.

Just wanted to show off that Luke has capped Strength. Malicia has also capped Speed, and I believe Barst has capped Skill. We're getting to the point where a lot of our units are going to be doing that.

Here's my basic load for this one. There are some locked doors, so Julian will come in handy. I could probably manage it without him because the enemies drop keys, but we'll see how it goes.

Also a village here is going to need defending, so Catria is going to need to be back to her highest movement potential.

Anyway, How's Everyone?

Ah yes, Wizard Gambling.

Again, not much to talk about. We've gotten pretty much all of Steve's conversations with our usual crew, so this screen is going to be pretty sparse more frequently.

We'll Always Have Jagen

: We will head to the palace, the hub of Archanea, to defeat Gharnef, who kidnapped Princess Elice, and to liberate Emperor Hardin from the Darksphere's control. According to Lord Gotoh, Gharnef is gathering high class clerics, Princess Elice among them... His objectives are unknown, but we must free them quickly.

Okay, that sounds good, then what is

: However, to reach the palace, we have to pass through the Kingdom of Gra, now Archanea's pawn...

Oh, yeah, these guys.

These Guys!

: But it seems Gra's soldiers have no will to fight, and are simply being coerced by Archanea's men.

: Then, if we defeat the Archanean soldiers, we might not need to battle those from Gra... I want to avoid pointless sacrifices as much as possible. Steve, convey that to everyone.

This is important.

: Yes, understood.

Now for the map itself.

This is the top right corner and if it looks familiar, again, you're probably remembering Shadow Dragon. Thankfully I think the original version of this map had Ballista, and this one doesn't, so that's...much better.

Top left corner has a village. There's a thief who will run for this, so it's a good idea to send someone to defend it, as it can be really tight if you just rush it with Marth. That's what Catria's for.

The boss is in the lower left here, but covered by a locked door.

I have no idea what the purpose of this building is. Just that it's annoying because this dick will snipe whoever's trying to walk along the northern wall.

Another locked area. There's treasure in here.

This thief is kind of a pain in the rear end to get to, and he might get away. It's not a huge deal though, we have a fresh Nosferatu already from Katarina.

(Still want him though)

This second thief pretty much just exists to destroy the village. A Heal Staff isn't really anything special.

So, you might have already noticed a bit of a dichotomy between the enemies on this level.

Here's your average Archanea guy. Promoted, silver weapons, a threat.

These are the Gra soldiers. They are literally as weak as possible. This man has zero luck.

You cannot kill any of the Gra enemies if you want to recruit two characters on this map. This might bring back some horrible Katarina flashbacks, but don't worry, these guys don't attack. They'll just sit there, like the priests from Elrean's map, but even more useless. Basically, they're walls. Just walk around them.

We'll deal with Sheema and Gra next time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

It's kind of funny that the game has the enemies suddenly acknowledge "Oh god, the player's army is just an unstoppable torrent of death after 17+ chapters at this point."

That kind of thing doesn't happen enough. Far too often they just go like, "sure the heroes slaughtered an entire army to get here, but surely the three of us will defeat them" swiftly followed by "splat".

quote:

This man has zero luck.

Gameplay/story coherence. :eng101:

Also Castor's training is the best training. You are such a little poo poo, Castor.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

vilkacis posted:

That kind of thing doesn't happen enough. Far too often they just go like, "sure the heroes slaughtered an entire army to get here, but surely the three of us will defeat them" swiftly followed by "splat".
Flashbacks to Yggdra Union here...

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I hope that Steve will never be good enough for Jeigan's standards.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Testekill posted:

I hope that Steve will never be good enough for Jeigan's standards.

:corsair:" Steve, thank you for saving the world but you still suck. You're a failure as a mage and are a not Nababble."

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 4, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

:corsair:" Steve, thank you for saving the world but you still suck. You're a failure as a mage and are a not Nababble."

"Steve, we need a myrmidon to hold this position so"

"I can handle this sir Jagen"

"I need you to fetch Radd & Samto"

"Do you need a note to give them? Because I can write a note"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh lord it's just hit me what role Steve plays in this army. She comes in as a normal guard, has no special stat advantages, Jagen's trying to find something for her to do, and everybody persists in messing with her hairstyle and fashion choices.

You guys, Steve is the company mascot. Who is still on the front lines because like fun this army can spare anybody to be out of combat.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

Glazius posted:

Oh lord it's just hit me what role Steve plays in this army. She comes in as a normal guard, has no special stat advantages, Jagen's trying to find something for her to do, and everybody persists in messing with her hairstyle and fashion choices.

You guys, Steve is the company mascot. Who is still on the front lines because like fun this army can spare anybody to be out of combat.

This is now part of my head-canon.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Update 33: En Gra-de! (Battle)

Welcome back to the worst pun of an update title, and Gra is happening. Let’s finish this lameass one-map nation and get back to kicking down Hardin’s door. I’m sure nothing could distract us after this anyway. Nothing.

Don’t have too much else to say about How’s Everyone, now that we’re in the last stretch of the game. Time for the game.

Oh, there’s another 50/50% chance of being a familiar face! It’s Samson. In chapter 15 of Shadow Dragon, those two villages that had a Dracoshield and Energy Drop had Samson and Arran instead. Neither of them were good.

: I see... The end draws near. Samson, I ought to apologize for burdening you. However I must see my kingdom through till the very end. You may go.

: That's quite enough, I think, Princess. King Jiol took your mother away from you: you should despise him. Now, you're just lettin' Hardin make a fool of you.

: I probably am a fool. I did as he asked, because he told me the people of Gra wished for their motherland's restoration. But Hardin only intended to use us. Now that we've outlived our use, he's tossed us aside like rubbish. All the same, I won't move! My men are not disposable!

: How sad... You'll have new recruits hold back the elite Altean army alone? Fine. If you say you'll remain here, then I'll fight for you until the end, too. Well, this should be fun, at least.

Everyone here has a death wish I guess.
: Samson... Why would you do this? Don't you mercenaries only live for gold? I have no more to give you...

: Well, I don't quite get it, either. But... there are times when a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. That's all I can say... For now. Besides, I want to see how that kid fights. If he's a true hero, perhaps your decision will change.

That would be a good idea.

So on turn 1 you can reach this village. Good news, free character.

Bad news, Tomas. He was in Shadow Dragon and that bonus map we did ages ago. I’ll forgive you for not remembering him because he might be the least memorable character ever.

: Prince Marth, I've been waiting for you. I'm Tomas, an Archanean soldier--or was. I've since retired from the army. The Archaneans here just want to sacrifice the defenceless Gra soldiers. This act of brutality by my former homeland... I cannot tolerate. Please, Prince Marth. Let me fight with you in some way.

I love that Marth doesn’t even say anything.

Anyway here’s Tomas. He’s uh...not great. I don’t even know how you make it to Sniper with 10 Skill. (Jeorge had 10 Skill in Shadow Dragon but you got him in Chapter 9) His Growths are pretty good, (Around a 70% in Strength and Skill, if I’m remembering right?) but this is sort of a case of “Good luck using them”. If you’ve been using Gordin, Jeorge, or Norne, they’re probably outdoing him at this point anyway.

Speaking of villages, this one stands a chance of getting destroyed if you don’t do something about it. Catria is certainly something.

The first Sniper outside here gets Steve’d.

No one can wield an axe like Barst. No one. At least when he doesn’t miss the second throw.

Thankfully Luke is on cleanup patrol.

I just noticed Luke’s getting close to hitting 50 HP? Nice.

This would come in handy if I forgot Julian.

Basically just trickling everyone south at this point.

A bit of a beating, but Luke survives. More than can be said for the Warriors.

This was the fate of all three Dracoknights. I think one of them had a Hammer.

About the expected result.

This is at about the furthest south point of the map, and this thief is just...taunting me. I could reach him if I just had Luke or Steve dash for him immediately, but that would put them in danger and trigger the reinforcements.

Catria downs a generic brand “Energy Drink”, restoring 20 HP but probably disintegrating a couple organs.

Healing Magic is much safer. (please do not use Let’s Play Fire Emblem 12 as your real life health care advice)

These enemies are fairly weak for their levels, which means a lot of easy levels. And good ones! All but Mag and Res is nearly perfect.

I want the thief. I want him.

This Sniper is not going to make that as easy as I’d like.

If you take a peek at that hit rate you can see the number 1 weakness of Warriors. In a game with an extremely forgiving hit rate, this guy REALLY blows.

Moving Steve over to deal with the Sniper in that northwest building. You’ve probably noticed by now that those Gra soldiers won’t attack us, even if they won’t get countered (like archers).

This makes them a billion times easier to deal with than Katarina.

Sirius and Luke down the Sniper. I’ve given up on that thief because my attention span is horrible while I play this game.

Speaking of Thieves, there was one here. There is only Catria now.

...I really like Nosferatu.

Marth, can you get something for Malicia?

SURPRISE, MOTHERFUCKER

You might call that a waste of a Warp use. I call it free Nosferatu. :colbert:

This map is pretty much all Snipers and Warriors. Those both have pretty exploitable weaknesses!

Pretty solid level on Steve there.

Have I mentioned Warriors can’t hit for poo poo?

Neither can Snipers if Navvvvvvvvvvvvvv leans casually.

What? Single digit health?

Julian’s time to shine!

wait why does Julian have higher defense than Ogma. Like ½ the health, but...wow.

Hypothesis: Jumping very high makes you hit men harder and also what appears to be a lens flare or urine covers the camera.

Hypothesis confirmed, and that’s about all the enemies dealt with...so why does it say there are still 7 Archaneans left? They’re hiding.

So, uh, the reinforcements are supposed to trigger when you run down here, but apparently Warping someone all the way to the edge of the map just skips it. I’m gonna go back and see if I can wake them up.

Here we go.

There, my actions are justified!

This too, would be scary, but apparently Dracoknights also can’t hit for poo poo. Axes still have that issue if you aren’t Barst.

And that’s all the reinforcements.

So here’s what Marth’s been doing this whole time.

Generic Villager: But didn't you Alteans come here to exact revenge on us?

: No, we've no intention to fight Gra. Gra and Altea were like siblings once.

:stonk:

That’s the weirdest sex euphemism I’ve ever heard.

It’s sort of dangerous to have Julian open this door, so I’m just going to use a key on Luke. Also Merric’s here now. This map has a lot of downtime where you’re just scooting guys around, so I didn’t bother screenshotting all of that. I don’t hate you.

Oh, hey, here’s...an open chest? I guess the Nosferatu was in there. Also a Warrior and a Sniper, a shocking twist for this map.

Speaking of Door Keys, I was looking for one but uh...we just still have this. We will never use this.

A little charred, but it works.

Now to move Julian in for the other chest in here. Not this one. I may not have been fully awake while I took these screens.

Thanks to the amazing power of the ethereal convoy, I can grab that Key Merric sent there from across the map, saving me crucial turns on this, the world’s highest turn count run.

Opening that door is a little more frightening though. That’s...uh...that’s a lot of guys.

Also it spawns reinforcements when you open it. Because gently caress you.

Low hit rates save me again.

And...again.

And now Nabab is on a roll. (and has more defense than Ogma what the gently caress Ogma)

Aw. Well, it had a good run.

Meanwhile this parade of men tries to murder Marth.

Catria can pick one of them off.

Kind of a lame treasure for one you have to go so out of your way to get, but...eh.

I know I’ve been bitching about Ogma’s defense all update, but I’m sure he can hold this point.

Again. I may not have been fully awake.

Oh, good. All is right with the world again.

Hypothesis confirmed again on repeat test.

Well, I’ll just have to dig in the pile of these we have lying around later.

So uh, Sheema’s here, but it is impossible to reach her with Marth on one turn outside her range without Feena/Again Staff usage. We’ll have to soak a hit from Samson.

It shouldn’t be that big a deal.

See? Everyone was okay.

Actually hey, thanks Samson.

Smug Marth get the gently caress out of here you’re ruining it again. (holy poo poo Sheema’s expression is so good for this)

: Let us be clear: I do not hold animosity towards the Kingdom of Gra. Our kingdoms were once one. It grieved me to watch us go our separate ways in the last war. Princess Sheema, I would like to try once more. I do not wish to fight with Gra.

Considering they literally stabbed his dad in the back and nearly murdered Cain too, Marth is really forgiving.

: Prince Marth... It surprised me to learn that you hadn't laid a finger on my fleeing soldiers. You may just be the second coming of King Anri. I believe you. If it's not too much to ask... Please, accept the people of Gra... as you would those of Altea. I entrust all of my country... to you, Prince Marth.

Sweet, we got a Vassal State. Now we can achieve a Space Race victory. Naturally you can’t get this conversation if you kill one of the Gra soldiers, Sheema won’t even speak to you.

Sheema is a general with 32 HP and 8 Speed. I’m trying to look for a good stat here, and I guess the 17 Defense is okay? Her growths are good, but like so many other characters, it’s hard to get her to use them. She was apparently pretty solid in the original FE3, especially because mounted units were severely nerfed on indoor maps, but that’s not the case anymore, so...uh...8 speed. The game just gave you Macellan and Dolph anyway.

Pretty much the only interesting things about Sheema are that she has an A rank in Lances so she can use the legendary lance when we get it, and that if I google “fe12 sheema” there is apparently actually fan art of this character, which is more than I can say for most of the cast of Fire Emblem 12.

She can, at least, talk to Samson.

: Well, Sheema. I guess my job here is done.

: Samson... You're leaving...?

: I don't think you'll be needin' me. After all, the prince will protect you from here on.

: Don't go! Please, don't go...!

: W-what? Why are you makin' me stay? This ain't like you. ...Well, whatever. If you still need me, then I'm not goin' anywhere. Wherever you go, I'll protect you. Is that the deal?

I uh...guess this is romantic?

: Yes…

Here’s Samson he is also bad. If you desperately need a hero, I mean...I guess? But you could just reclass someone and you never NEED a specific class. At least Astram had Mercurius. Don’t worry though, he gets support bonuses from...Arran.

Wait, Tomas, what are you doing?

TOMAS NO!

Yeah, if you kill a Gra soldier even after recruiting Sheema and Samson, they will defect to enemy units. This apparently didn’t happen in FE3, so it was recommended you have Sheema slaughter all her own citizens to take advantage of her growths.

But let’s just go back to the real timeline where none of that happened and we still have Sheema and Samson.

:toot:

THISMAP.PNG

: All we are accomplishing is buying Hardin more time.

: My thoughts exactly. If we continue like this, more blood will be spilt for naught. Steve, do you have any sort of plan?

Since when was Steve our tactician? We have Katarina now, wasn’t she an actual tactician, sorta? I mean, she was BSing, but she still graduated knight training. Will the game ever acknowledge Katarina again? yes, once or twice

: According to our information, the enemy's primary force is concentrated along the highway. I wonder if we can avoid that route, by passing through the mountains?

“Let’s go look for things to put on my head up there.”

: Hmph, we'd have to cross Adria Pass... But the steep mountains make it dangerous for an army of our size.

We’ve already had our fair share of vertigo narration.

: That's true, and I fear the enemy may have prepared an ambush as well. Our bravery could be our undoing. But it is the fastest possible route. If we could just break through there, we'd be in walking distance of the palace.

: I am prepared for the danger. We managed to conquer the same perilous road that Anri walked. Compared to that... Jagen, Steve. We can overcome this challenge. Order the advance!

Alright, now onto Hardin!

huh

: Hmm...and you are?

People keep doing this.

: My name is Frost. I am a priest of Macedon. When Macedon was taken over by those warmonging rebels... You came and saved our country. Thanks to you, my family's now safe. I have come to return the favor.

: I see. But hasn't it been some time since Prince Marth freed Macedon...?

Chapter 3.

We crossed an ocean. We walked through a volcano. We teleported once. Holy poo poo Frost owns. (i know it probably means he only followed for a while but shh don’t ruin my second favorite old man priest in this game)

: But then I heard that Marth had freed Altea as well, and I finally managed to catch up with you here, in Gra. I am old now, but I can still fight. Please, allow me to to join you.

Uh, so, we have Frost now. Frost brings with him a THREAD VOTE.

Just like Dice/Maris, he originated in a BS FE chapter. So, the question is, would you rather I do that one now? Or should I wait a few maps to do it? Either way it’ll be pretty relevant to what we do next. Next time...one of those things. Thanks for reading.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 11, 2015

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hippoman posted:

I don’t hate you.
Same.

"now let's play a little game with your subjects."

Do it now.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Do it now!

W.T. Fits posted:

I like how Steve in the flashback has her current look instead of the look we actually started the game with. :allears:

Please tell me we're going introduce Eremiah to the business end of ONE MAG at some point.

I have mixed feelings about Eremiah because of how her story wraps up, but a meeting is coming.

I have a soft spot for Sheema, so I hope you can use her.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Hypothesis: Jumping very high makes you hit men harder and also what appears to be a lens flare or urine covers the camera.
Jarate!

LordHippoman posted:

Uh, so, we have Frost now. Frost brings with him a THREAD VOTE.

Just like Dice/Maris, he originated in a BS FE chapter. So, the question is, would you rather I do that one now? Or should I wait a few maps to do it? Either way it’ll be pretty relevant to what we do next. Next time...one of those things. Thanks for reading.

Do it now!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Do the bullshit, you know you want to.

It's good that the characters react to your actions if you start murdering NPCs. It always gets so silly when they don't bother putting in checks like that... kind of exactly like that original FE3 recommendation.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.
Do it now!

Also, I'd like to agree with Lotish. I've always been a fan of the underdog characters in Fire Emblem, so I'd like to see you use one of them. Preferably Sheema, though I'd like to see Thomas get some use for once as well.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Well, seems like everyone wants to get the BS chapter out of the way, so I'll get working on that. I've never beaten this one, so that'll be interesting. Doesn't look as technical as Thieves though.

Also, I will attempt to use Sheema at least for one map, but that 8 speed makes her get stomped by every last enemy there, and we are running low on Drill Grounds cash since I poured it into Julian. I think I can get her at least a little action in chapter 18 though. I don't think we have any Speedwings either, because I gave that last one to Sirius. Honestly, I'll probably just have her take Caeda's deployment slot because she's really fallen behind now, and we've seen all her supports and such anyway. I like Sheema too, so I'll at least show some of her supports in a bonus update.

Don't want to bring her to 19 though because haha gently caress that chapter and everything about it, if it's the one I'm remembering. I am probably going to Catria the gently caress out of everything there and never look back.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

LordHippoman posted:

Well, seems like everyone wants to get the BS chapter out of the way, so I'll get working on that. I've never beaten this one, so that'll be interesting. Doesn't look as technical as Thieves though.

Not to spoil anything, but of the four BS chapters, I'd say the one you're about to do is the closest to a "conventional" Fire Emblem chapter in gameplay terms, the others being more like the Fire Emblem equivalent of chess puzzles. Though, like all the BS chapters, it has a BS gimmick. :downsrim:

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014
This is the point in most Fire Emblems where the new recruits start tapering off, but IntSys made a commitment to give you every unit from 1, 3, and 11, and by God that's what they're going to do. They're starting to resent it, though, if Sheema's stats are any indication.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
...I remember when I recruited Katarina, I looked up her growths, saw how low her magic would stay... and went gently caress that.
I'm using her.
So I pumped three Spirit Dusts and a Speedwing in her, and raised her to be my main mage. Her and Kris went through the you-know-what chapter alone, because it felt appropriate. And later, she killed Gharnef with Starlight because that felt appropriate too.
Puppets Don't Cry is amazing, and I wasn't going to let it go to waste.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You should just do these sidequests as soon as we unlock them unless you're supposed to go back, it's not like we're ever going to vote against them. If the enemies were radically weaker, I'd love to see a challenge run where you mix in some of the weaker characters too and try and get them some kills too.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

RareAcumen posted:

You should just do these sidequests as soon as we unlock them unless you're supposed to go back, it's not like we're ever going to vote against them. If the enemies were radically weaker, I'd love to see a challenge run where you mix in some of the weaker characters too and try and get them some kills too.

The BS missions are standalone releases from an old Super Nintendo radio broadcast thing in Japan. Regardless of when they get done all of the units provided have the same stats and equipment. The decision is entirely if we want to see the little independent side story now or later;

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

Not to spoil anything, but of the four BS chapters, I'd say the one you're about to do is the closest to a "conventional" Fire Emblem chapter in gameplay terms, the others being more like the Fire Emblem equivalent of chess puzzles. Though, like all the BS chapters, it has a BS gimmick. :downsrim:

Yeah, I gave it a shot, and I mean, this does look like a Fire Emblem map. It's not a "Barricade Yourself In A Room and Hold Out" thing like Palace, a "GET :10bux:" map like Thieves, or a gently caress you i hope you like 10 billion mounted units Camus map like the one we haven't seen yet.

MonstrousMouse posted:

This is the point in most Fire Emblems where the new recruits start tapering off, but IntSys made a commitment to give you every unit from 1, 3, and 11, and by God that's what they're going to do. They're starting to resent it, though, if Sheema's stats are any indication.

You've seen nothing yet. Coming up we will meet a man who can be recruited to our side, but his stats are worse than the generic enemies that come with him!

Doobeedoo posted:

...I remember when I recruited Katarina, I looked up her growths, saw how low her magic would stay... and went gently caress that.
I'm using her.
So I pumped three Spirit Dusts and a Speedwing in her, and raised her to be my main mage. Her and Kris went through the you-know-what chapter alone, because it felt appropriate. And later, she killed Gharnef with Starlight because that felt appropriate too.

Yeah, with a little magic bolstering, Katarina is fairly salvageable. She's by far not the worst character the game is going to throw at us in these last few chapters.

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, like FoolyCharged mentioned, they have nothing to do with the main story, they're just accessed from an Extras section on the main menu. We actually won't even get to play as some of the characters from the BS missions in game. I unlocked all four of those when I beat the prologue, I've just been trying to scatter them out a bit so it's not just a big chunk of "Before the actual plot, here's all these random side stories from before the prequel." Think of them as "challenge maps" instead of like, straight up sidequests.

You might be thinking of the Gaiden chapters (The ones labelled "Number X"). Those are the ones you unlock in story, and those do effect our current characters and use our current party. I do those ASAP, because you can't put them off. I actually don't even think you can decline doing them in this game, if you fulfill the requirements for their unlocks. They aren't very hard to get, and I've been making sure to get all of them. We have one left now after Katarina's.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Doobeedoo posted:

I'm using her.

Katarina was my sword-mage when I first recruited her. If I remember right, she should be able to do 18 damage with Levin swords out of the box. She's not going to get better at that and she's not very strong, but at least with a Swordmaster's speed and those swords she can do some damage.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
For some reason, in a game with a ton of visual blandness, I actually like Sheema's design. Iunno. v:shobon:v

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

LordHippoman posted:

Also, I will attempt to use Sheema at least for one map, but that 8 speed makes her get stomped by every last enemy there, and we are running low on Drill Grounds cash since I poured it into Julian. I think I can get her at least a little action in chapter 18 though. I don't think we have any Speedwings either, because I gave that last one to Sirius. Honestly, I'll probably just have her take Caeda's deployment slot because she's really fallen behind now, and we've seen all her supports and such anyway. I like Sheema too, so I'll at least show some of her supports in a bonus update.

This probably goes without saying, but give her the Starsphere. It's what I did when I brought her along to 19 and it helps more than it seems. She was the least of my problems there.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm glad they patched in her post-recruit reaction to betrayal. Even though that might come back to bite you, it's still better than her gleefully cutting down her own citizens for XP.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Support Update 9: Dolph 1, Macellan 1, Katarina 1

Oh, hi. So, uh, these BS Chapters take me a while to do because I fumble those maps like crazy, so I figured I'd fill some time with a support update including some exciting characters! Like...Dolph. And Macellan. And uh, Katarina, she actually might have something interesting to say.

Fatman (Dolph 1)

: Man, this is good! I could eat this all day. Today's food is incredible!

: Eh? Sir Dolph...? Didn't you finish eating a while ago?

: Hm, you're, if I'm not mistaken...

: My name is Steve.

: Oh, just as I thought! I saw you. You did a really good job!

: Why, thank you. I can't say my performance in battle was that great, but...

I mean she's pretty good. Everyone undersells Steve. Even Steve.

: What are you talking about! I'm talking about the food.

Apparently, in addition to everything else, Steve is the army chef too, because Marth absolutely refuses to employ more than 15 people to work at once. Manpower is a serious issue.

: Eh? The food?

: Indeed. The speed, quantity, order of the dishes... There was nothing I could criticize!

: I-I see. I suppose it's because, when it came to food, my grandfather taught me strictly. ...However. Even so, isn't this quantity excessive?

: What are you talking about!? A knight must fight, as a shield to his people. For that purpose, what's more important than building your body!? Can you answer that? Dame Steve...?

: I understand what you want to say. But still, you're clearly...

: What?

: Eating too much. I can see... flabs of skin in the gaps of your armor...

Wouldn't that pinch? :stonk:

: Guh...!

RudeMan (Macellan 1)

: Excuse me!

: Wah, don't startle me like that...! May I ask you to be quieter in the kitchen?

We find Steve in mid-cook.

: Sorry! But, there's a urgent matter...

: Ah! Don't tell me... an enemy ambush!?

No, Jagen would let you know that was happening and advise you to do gently caress all about it.

: Who made today's soup?

: Hm? That would be me, but...

: Oh, so it was YOU! I am Macellan!! Can I ask your name?

: I am Steve. I tried to season it properly... Did you enjoy it?

: No, quite the opposite! It was really horrible!!

: Eh?

:ramsay:

: The ingredients were good! But the seasoning wasn't! It ruined everything!

: Ooooh...

: That's all! Excuse me!!

: ...That was kind of frustrating...

Steve will never get any respect from anyone.

KatMan (Katarina 1)

: Hello Steve. Are you training today, as well?

: Yes. It's important to do it everyday, after all.

: ...

: Hmm? What's wrong?

: Oh, it's nothing... I was just watching you, Steve.

Uhh...

: Well, I know that, but... Don't you want to ask me something?

: Ah, well, er... Steve, is there anything you'd want me to do for you?

This is getting inappropriate, who's the HR officer for this army? Is it Jagen? gently caress.

: Something I'd want you to do?

: Yes. After all, it's all thanks to you, Steve, that I can stand here like this... So, I want to repay you. I'll do anything for you, Steve.

: A-anything?

"give me your Mag"

: Y-yes... ...I'd do... anything...

: ...I-I see. Then, could you train with me?

: Huh...? Is that all?

: Yes, training becomes more intense when you practice with others.

: All right. Then, I'll do it with you.

Well...I actually think Dolph and Macellan were more interesting. Huh. That was unexpected. Anyway, hope you enjoyed that support update of fat men, food critics, and super awkward conversations.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 15, 2015

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

: ...That was kind of frustrating...

:haw:

That was... actually a lot better than I expected from the generic baldymen.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

"give me your Mag"

help i'm dying

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

vilkacis posted:

It's like Arran, the characters you expect to be boring/generic as all gently caress are actually pretty interesting.

But unlike Arran you have to go out of your way to get Dolph's/Macellan's conversations, there's not really a chance of stumbling on them accidentally.

biosterous posted:

help i'm dying
Katarina's not even that great of a Sage, and yet she has more Magic than Steve will ever have.

The universe continues to taunt Steve.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

fade5 posted:

Katarina's not even that great of a Sage, and yet she has more Magic than Steve will ever have.

The universe continues to taunt Steve.

Even the worst mage is better than Steve.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

This is getting inappropriate, who's the HR officer for this army? Is it Jagen? gently caress.

I think it's Marth pulling triple duty with being King and Naive.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

vilkacis posted:

At this rate Tomas is going to have loving War and Peace in his support or something.

Testekill posted:

Even the worst mage is better than Steve.

Yubello still exists. It's okay, I forgot too.

Darth TNT posted:

I think it's Marth pulling triple duty with being King and Naive.

Marth's third job is pulling goofy faces at the camera during the dialogue scenes.

Also my god gently caress BS chapter 2, this is terrible. I am so stuck. The only playthroughs I've seen on Youtube with successful clears with everyone alive require an enemy to miss like an 80-90%.

If you have any hot tips for Crimson Dragoon you want to drop in the thread, I would highly appreciate it. I might be missing something obvious.

EDIT: Welp nevermind beat it, just had to dodge a 58% dick Ridersbane.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 16, 2015

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

LordHippoman posted:

Yubello still exists. It's okay, I forgot too.

Yubello is still a better mage than steve, not by much, but better

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 34: Bonus Chapter: Dragoon

: Sir Jagen, a strange old man just decided to join our army.

: How many of those do we have now?

: Counting you, sir, three. Not to be rude, but my grandfather always told me-

: Shut up. I know that fellow...that’s Father Frost! Sit down, Chris my boy!

: Steve. Girl.

: I keep forgetting that. Let me tell you a story...

So here we go, BS Chapter 2. This one gave me some trouble, mostly just because of one dick move towards 3/4ths point.

Palace’s score isn’t recorded because of the laptop explosion of 2014, but there is only one left after this!

: A verdant kingdom, sharing the deepest bonds with the Holy Kingdom of Archanea since its foundation. However, as a result of the aggressive attack of the Macedonian dracoknights led by Princess Minerva, Aurelis had already ceded most of its territory to the Dolhrian empire. As Princess Minerva returned to her post in Aurelis with her subordinates, a certain village caught her eye…

This bandit has existed across time and space, just to be a creep and then get wrecked by protagonists making dramatic entrances. Truly the most important character. He’s not getting a portrait.

Thatfuckinguy: Heh heh heh...Jus’ come o’er ‘ere already.

Some Other Villager: Please, I beg o’ you, leave her be! She’s me girlfriend!

Thatfuckinguy: Shut yer trap!

SOV: Nngaaah!

: Sir Jagen, is this part of the story...entirely necessary?

: Wait, what's going on here? What are those men doing?

ThisOtherGuy: Ehh? You ain't on their side? In that case, I beg o' you! Please drive those foul demons away. They kidnap women, loot everythin', and act like this town's theirs... We just can't keep livin' like this. So, please, you have to help us!

: To think the Macedonian army houses such shameless scoundrels... I demand an explanation.

Nobody can use the word “cahoots” without sounding ridiculous.

: And they've been committing atrocities using the Macedonian army's name...

: Either way, we cannot just let them be.

: Wow, the Dark Emperor had a much better hat back then.

Thatfuckinguy: W-what the hell is wrong with you!? Stay outta our way if you value yer life!

: Your vile deeds... cannot be overlooked.

Thatfuckinguy: T-these guys... drat you... We'll remember this!

: I have no name worthy of note.

It’s in the text box, buddy.

: Bah... I see. Well, fair enough. The actions of those men offended me, too, but I see you were faster to the hunt.

: By any chance, are you... Dame Minerva of Macedon?

: Indeed I am. But how did you know?

: I heard the Macedonian army had a beautiful woman, clad in scarlet armor. Rumors say she's a gifted soldier, nicknamed the Crimson Dragoon.

: Heh... Those rumors are grossly exaggerated.

: Either way, I presume those men weren't official Macedonian soldiers? Are they deserters?

: As much as it shames me, that seems to be the case.

: I see. Then, I believe I have a firm grasp of the situation.

: Where do you intend to go, now?

: What in heavens!? There's a large group of them? I don't believe it...! That can't be…

Budget constraints prevented Wolf and Roshea from actually appearing in this cutscene.

: Commander, what are our orders?

: Palla... I'll follow them, together with Catria and Est. You are to go ahead to the castle and bring reinforcements.

: Yes, understood. The castle isn't far from here.

You see Minerva’s expression there? She knows. Palla will not be coming back this chapter.

: Catria, Est. Take care of the commander.

: Yes, sister.

: Leave it to us!

: Catria, Est, let’s follow them at once.

: Understood!

: What? You still spouting that rubbish? That's fine by me. If you can't obey my orders, then I'll have your head on a plate.

I love this line. “THAT’S A LOT OF PLATES”

: D-drat... Just what... am I supposed to do...?

Advice of the drat year.

: Dame Minerva, leave the archers to us. We shall make mincemeat of them. You fly on ahead.

: Very well. I'll leave that in your hands. Then, let's go.

Alright, the map has begun and immediately Minerva needs to go west. She’s going to be very useful in this chapter.

Here’s Wolf, a Horseman who comes in sorta handy, but isn’t the best unit here by far. I’m having him hit up the Village to grab an item because his movement and range means he can catch up if he falls behind a bit.

Not much in the way of treasure here.

So here’s a quick flyover of this map. We start in the top right corner.

These guys are menacing us from the start, and will rush you from turn 1.

There’s a second village here that, if not reached by turn 2, will be destroyed by the Thief. Minerva is up to the task.

The Boss and a few other guys are across this river. This is a Rout map, so all enemies have to die, no cheating and rushing this guy with Minerva and praying for a crit.

More enemies in the middle south portion.

And Frost in the center of the map, with a Physic. Great. You can recruit him very quickly with Minerva, but don’t. If he’s Blue, the enemies that charge you will want to charge him too, and as a squishy 4 Defense Bishop, that’s bad news.

Hardin here is extremely powerful and likely to be the MVP on any run of this map. He’s got two silver weapons in hand, and I’m using him to lure the enemies in.

Here’s Est. Est is useless. At least she has a Ridersbane I can steal.

Catria is not the unstoppable force she is in our main story run, but she’s okay here. Not good. But okay.

Roshea is entirely unremarkable in pretty much every way. Behold, the world’s most generic Cavalier.

: Did you say a dracoknight? Who would want to come to a backwater place like this...? But they don't seem that dangerous. Don't worry about them. Should they approach this fortress, I'll make short work of them.

One of the fighters breaks off to hit Minerva, killing himself for 6 damage on the Dracoknight.

Meanwhile, Hardin can double this guy. He doesn’t last long. He can’t double Cavaliers, though, so they’ll take a little extra...

Oh, well, never mind.

When turn 2 starts, I have Minerva kill the Thief, who is one step from the Village. You really have no time to lose on this one.

This is our predicament on Turn 2. There are 3 bow wielding units here. If any of them live, they’ll one shot Catria or Est. Roshea can kill one of them alone.

The Horseman is a bit bulkier, so I’m having Est use her turn to give Hardin the Ridersbane. She’s not doing anything otherwise.

There we go!

I want that Defense as high as possible for something coming up.

Wolf can come down from the village and get this guy really low…

Catria shows off with an unnecessary crit and we’re free of archers for now.

Well, I mean, at least Est can dodge.

Turn 3 and I can finally visit this Village.

This could be handy!

Giving Hardin the Experience here, because he’s going to be doing almost all the work.

Now that the northeast part of the map is clear, the next objective is to cross the river. This bridge is the only way for our mounted allies. As I make my way there, though...

Red Guy: Sir, the enemy is fast approachin' this fortress.

: drat... What a bunch of annoying rats. Alright, send the reinforcements. Call back everyone who left for the other villages!

Fuccckkkkkkk.

Red Guy: Yes sir!

And two fighters and two cavaliers pop out of the castle. Wonderful.

Also they rush you.

Also they come again next turn.

: Sir Jagen, this story is extremely repetitive. Did you forget to turn the pages again?

: Who’s the one who can read here?

While I wait for the reinforcements to approach the bridge, there are some conversations we can trigger!

: And keep an eye out for enemies as you proceed.

: Yes ma’am, I’ll do my best!

: Their conversations were dull and often pointed out the obvious. It was my greatest inspiration. Hardin possesses the Darksphere...

: Dame Minerva, are you unhurt?

: Yes, you needn't worry about my well-being. What about you, sir?

: No issues here, either. However, the enemies are many, so we mustn't lower our guards.

: To think so many shameless scoundrels would claim to be part of the noble Macedonian army... The misdeeds of Macedon are my responsibility. Do not interfere.

: With all due respect, Dame Minerva, a battle cannot be won alone. As we share the same contempt towards the enemy, it would benefit both of us to join forces against them.

: ...Very well. However, don't overwork yourself.

: Your worry is superfluous. I am at home, here. Well, let us go!

: ..after crossing Anri’s Way, we met Lord Gotoh…

This isn’t a repeat screenshot, this is wave 3 of these guys. Don’t worry, it’s the last one.

: Catria! The enemy general is mine. I shall leave the other soldiers to you. However, don't underestimate them. Be sure to finish each of them in one blow.

: Understood, commander.

: Your defense is terrible, Steve, Hardin possesses the Darksphere!

: (I should probably go…)

Minerva takes the Energy Drop, because...well, I don’t think Hardin really needs it.

On turn 8, we’re finally ready. Bring on the reinforcements! Hardin is using the bridge as a chokepoint. Wish him luck.

TANKING BEGIN.

I used the Ridersbane here because the only ones in range this turn were cavaliers.

Wolf passes the Vulnerary to Hardin. That thing is actually pretty drat useful in this map.

And so, the many reinforcements smash themselves against Hardin’s weapons and give him some nice levels.

This is about the most dangerous it’ll get for Hardin.

Like that.

Alright, I can Vulnerary Hardin back to 12 HP this turn, but if both those guys hit him, he’s still dead.

Wolf is taking up tank duties. He’s way worse at it though.

Oh, and Frost is going to be continually healing these guys.

Okay, time to get Wolf the gently caress outta there. 4 Fighters.

If I kill one of them, they won’t have enough damage for Minerva.

There was a miss anyway, but I’ll take the insurance.

That’s all the reinforcements. So...now I should get Frost, right? No.

I made this mistake on my first try. Recruiting him now will lead some of the enemies from the next group we engage to rush him down and slaughter the poor Bishop. Give it a little more time…

So, for these next guys, Hardin will want the Javelin. The Vulnerary is gone now. So, here’s what sucks about this group. 2 of these guys are archers, which means Minerva can’t tank them. One of the Knights has a ridersbane. All we have are mounted units and fliers. gently caress. Gonna need some luck here.

Javelin pulls the archer, and the chase is on!

Yeah, they all rush you at once. (Frost healed up that archer too.)

Hardin retreats back to the bridge chokepoint.

The archer goes down on counterattacks from Hardin’s Javelin, but he’s getting low...and we have no healing abilities.

And right about now Minerva needs to sneak her way up to Frost.

Hello, this is the dodge that saved the run. Bless this dodge.

Wolf does some good damage to the Ridersbane guy, who surprisingly Frost didn’t bother healing. Glad I’m not the only one who hates him.

I go with the Ridersbane here because it’s enough to finish this guy off, but not overkill that would make too many of the Knights hit Hardin before I can heal him.

He survives, but he has little health, and there’s not much time left! Tension! Drama!

Oh, never mind, Minerva’s at Frost now.

: Oh, this dracoknight is...

: Why are you aiding those vile excuses for people?

: Princess Minerva... Forgive me... The truth is, Ruben threatened me. If I didn't do what he wanted, he said he would do away with my family and I…

: I see... Father Frost, you may rest at ease. We shall destroy the bandits. We won't let them lay a single finger on you or your family. I swear upon my honor.

: Oh, Princess Minerva... I'm glad I could count on you. Please, protect my family…

Now that we have Frost, I can finally heal Hardin.

TIME FOR VENGEANCE.

Wow. Too little, too late, game.

I’m okay with this.

Now you’re just taunting me.

Alright, so the last group of enemies is in the upper left, which I’m looping around to deal with. Frost and those Vulnerarys are going to get a workout to get everyone back to full HP.

Several turns later, here we go.

I’m using Wolf to pull over the Sniper. Thankfully, the Knights don’t come with him. This guy does a ton of damage.

Minerva’s proving her usefulness here.

Time for the ol’ Jave-Hardin trick.

One down.

Two down.

Hardin’s gotten a ton of levels this time around.

Just Ruben left.

Ruben’s dialogue is so good. Why is he such a bit character?

: You're... Ruben. I didn't think I'd find you here, not after you were banished from the army for your acts of brutality against civilians. ...So you lead the deserters. Surrender. If you don't, I shall strike you down as an enemy of Macedon!

: Heh...! I don't take orders from you anymore. For some reason, the folks at Macedon worship you royals as if you were gods. Yet, the crown prince fancies himself a patricide, the older sister is a charmless buffoon... and the younger sister is a brat whose only talent is getting kidnapped. Who on earth could put up with the stupid military, when even the country's like that too? Wouldn't you agree, Minerva the Buffoon!

You know...he’s...not wrong. Michalis is a douche, Maria is useless, and Minerva isn’t the brightest bulb in the box.

THERE IT IS, THERE’S THE “DASTARD”, I’VE BEEN WAITING ALL GAME.

:Heh! Not if I kill you first!

Minerva doesn’t finish him off, so I’ve got to use Wolf here to get him low. I believe it’s time.

THE EYES OF CATRIA ARE UPON THEE.

: Gyaahhhhh!

So that’s how she learned to do that.

Oh, these guys are still alive? I forgot they were here.

There we go.

Oh hi Palla, nice to see you.

: Palla. Don't worry about us, we're fine. What of the reinforcements?

: They are almost here already.

I imagine this in the most deadpan sarcastic voice possible.

Blue Guy: Princess Minerva, please leave the rest to us!

Blue Guy: But, Princess, there's something important... Isn't that knight Hardin of Aurelis?

No, that’s Sirius.

: What do you mean?

Blue Guy: Why, he's the spitting image of the infamous Coyote, leader of the rebel army. Should we capture and interrogate him...?

: ...Nonsense. There is no way that man is Hardin.

Blue Guy: But as I said, he’s the spitting…

: I said he isn’t. Now leave us!

Blue Guy: P-pardon me, ma’am!

: Hahaha! I look forward to seeing you again in the battlefield! Now, if you'll excuse me.

: Coyote… Hardin.

: Commander, did you say something?

: No, nothing. Let’s go.

: Understood.

: Filled with awe and respect, the people called her the "Crimson Dragoon."

Time score is pretty meh, but I was just glad to be done with this one, to be honest.

: And that’s the story of that guy you just met, Steve.

: Sir Jagen, he was barely in it. He didn’t really do anything but heal Hardin, really.

: …

: Actually, if he hadn’t done that, maybe Hardin would have died, and then he wouldn’t be Emperor, and then we wouldn’t all be in this horrible situation. Sir Jagen, what was the point of this story?

: Finally, we have conquered Anri’s Way. Hardin possesses the Darksphere.

: I’m going to go hang out with Wrys.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Munchin' manaketes :supaburn:

Ruben has a lot of personality for such a brief appearance. Petitioning to have him replace Hardin. Also to make Hardin go back to his cool hat and also being a blue unit yes I have ulterior motives as well what of it

Good show with Boring Ol' Jeigan's Story Hour, too.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Just a bit of a strategy note, with the Energy Drop and a couple well-placed killsteals, Est can become a fully-contributing member of the team, and that seems to have been the intended move. It's not a game changer, but it can speed things up to have another unit around to kill stuff.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

Just a bit of a strategy note, with the Energy Drop and a couple well-placed killsteals, Est can become a fully-contributing member of the team, and that seems to have been the intended move. It's not a game changer, but it can speed things up to have another unit around to kill stuff.

Huh. I never thought of that. Minerva probably doesn't really need it, and that would help speed the map up a bit. Thanks.

vilkacis posted:

Munchin' manaketes :supaburn:

Ruben has a lot of personality for such a brief appearance. Petitioning to have him replace Hardin. Also to make Hardin go back to his cool hat and also being a blue unit yes I have ulterior motives as well what of it

Good show with Boring Ol' Jeigan's Story Hour, too.

Thanks! I kinda wanted something to do with this update because there's a lot of talking and none of it is super interesting. My solution was more talking because I'm the worst.

And yeah, I feel like just about every FE game has at least one boss who everyone wishes was in it more because they have some memorable lines or something. Like 7 has BATTA THE BEAST and that one Black Fang guy you fight on Hector's route who was like a crazy baron type who invited all his subjects to a dinner party and murdered them? I thought that was interesting. 9 has the "Shoulda brought more priests! Or some babies." guy, 10 had the paranoid guy in the volcano who would freak out about the VILE BEASTS, and so on.

I feel like they noticed that in Awakening, and that's why Cervantes gets to come back for a second fight after his initial chapter, even though he really has no plot relevance, just some really good lines.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

And yeah, I feel like just about every FE game has at least one boss who everyone wishes was in it more because they have some memorable lines or something. Like 7 has BATTA THE BEAST and that one Black Fang guy you fight on Hector's route who was like a crazy baron type who invited all his subjects to a dinner party and murdered them? I thought that was interesting. 9 has the "Shoulda brought more priests! Or some babies." guy, 10 had the paranoid guy in the volcano who would freak out about the VILE BEASTS, and so on.

I feel like they noticed that in Awakening, and that's why Cervantes gets to come back for a second fight after his initial chapter, even though he really has no plot relevance, just some really good lines.

Don't forget Glass from FE7. The gods fear his name!

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 35: Garbage Like The Wolf (Prep)

(IMPORTANT LP BULLETIN: This update was prepared before the last one. I apologize for any terrible jokes caused by the stress of watching Hardin getting Ridersbaned in the chest over and over. One of said jokes is the title. Sorry.)

Welcome back. Last time in the main plot, we defeated the Archanean forces in Gra and convinced Princess Sheema to surrender and join our army. Now we’re headed for Archanea to take the fight to Hardin himself. In a couple chapters. Still a little more buildup for that. In the meantime...

This wasn’t me screenshotting at a bad time, the first text box just stops here. What the gently caress is wrong with Roshea’s forehead?

(The Narrator is being portrayed by Wrys for this update) : decided to cross the central mountain range, thought to be impassable by a large army. Should they go through the Adria Pass, they would reach the palace directly.

"Hurry, we cannot let the enemy notice us! We must charge straight through!"

Praying for success, Marth and the others walked through the narrow mountain pass. However, despite their prayers, they were attacked by an unexpected enemy in the pass. The northern Kingdom of Aurelis's elite force, which had moved south to aid Archanea...The "Wolfguard."

: Yes, sire.

: Despite all the odds, we've surpassed Anri's Way and taken back Altea... The battles we've faced up to now... have been nothing short of difficult. And in those battles...

: Sire…

Again, we’re on track for completing the game without losing a unit! Getting close to the end now, not too many people left to recruit. (And all but one of them exclusive to the remake!) But, as has become tradition with these, let’s see the alternate universe “lots of deaths” :smith: Marth.

: ...The feeling of pain overwhelms me. When I think of the severely wounded, and the many who have fallen... Perhaps if I had been stronger like Anri, then everyone would still be alive... From now... From now on, I will definitely...

Marth still blames himself for everything. Guy just can’t catch a break from himself. It’s kinda strange for a Fire Emblem protagonist, it never seems to slow them down. I do like it though, it gives him more character than his old “I’m the good guy and that’s about it” persona.

Onto the usual prep work.

We’re allowed a full 12 units this time around. Usual crew minus Julian, since there are no chests to open and although this map is full of Generals, he is still not skilled enough to use that Forged Armorslayer. Instead I brought in Sheema by request. I’ll see what I can do.

How’s Everyone?

Really starting to regret ditching Draug. How’s Everyone loves that guy.

Conversations this time around include two standard ones and Julian’s second support.

Strong Enough To Protect

“You think if I pulled this scarf up high enough I could cover my face like you used to?”

: I wonder if you could teach me how to fight?

I’ve been trying to do that for like 4 maps, Julian!

: How to fight? But Sir Julian, you're a thief... Rather than battle, you'd do better staying in the rear, opening chests and doors…

: Yes, you're right. But, I want to become stronger. Strong enough to protect Lena.

: Sir Julian…

: Ever since Lena disappeared, I've looked frantically for her everywhere... I even asked people who chanced to see her. According to them, when Lena was taken by the heretic bishops... she had a sad look on her face.

I dunno, every time I get kidnapped by crazy bishops I’m pretty cheery about it.

: What does that mean?

: They didn't put her to sleep. Or use some spell to control her. That time, I wasn't far from her. Had Lena screamed, I'd have noticed for sure. But, she didn't. That's because she knew I'd be no match for them even if I rushed out to help. Were I a much stronger man, Lena wouldn't have been kidnapped. Knowing that, I just can't forgive myself…

Or they could have had a sword to her neck, or magic spellbooks ready, or...you know, I think you’re being a little hard on yourself, Julian. :(

The Battle Of Recap Pass

: We must defeat Gharnef and rescue Princess Elice and the other kidnapped clerics. And we ought to do something about Hardin, who's now being controlled by the Darksphere.

I will never get tired of how nonchalant Jagen is about this kind of stuff. “Oh, yeah, the evil emperor, we ought to do something about that.” Jagen has seen some poo poo.

wolf pun goes here

: They're the Aurelian Knights... A powerful army nicknamed the Wolfguard.

: The Wolfguard…

: Yes. In the previous war... the Wolfguard fought as Hardin's subordinates. They were reliable allies back then, but since Hardin is now our enemy, so is the Wolfguard. They have sworn loyalty to Hardin, and would die for him. Steve, their loyalty is comparable to yours.

: …!

Not on Steve’s watch. Nobody is as bullheadedly devoted to a cause as she is. And she will cut a motherfucker for claiming otherwise.

: Take good care once they arrive on the battlefield, Steve.

That won’t be as necessary as it sounds.

This map is structured in a weird way.

To our left is a Village guarded by two Paladins. This is one of the most important villages in the game. Not only will it make this chapter much easier, it has the last potentially missable required item for the Good Ending. Marth can reach it in 2 turns, one with Feena or the Again Staff, but I prefer 2, for reason’s you’ll see in the battle.

To the right, a clusterfuck of a Generals, two Ballista (Hoistflammes, pretty high damage, but no special abilities), and no less than 3 Fortify bishops. If you want to kill a unit on this map, you’d better get it done on your turn.

The boss isn’t anything special. He doesn’t even have a name. This guy won’t be a problem.

To the north are the Wolfguard. Four of them are named. They are all mounted. And yes, they will keep spawning unless we do something.

Sedgar and Wolf are in the back. These guys (Wolf is a man, I know the portrait is pretty ambiguous) were pretty notable in Shadow Dragon for having amazing potential if reclassed to a Hero (Sedgar) and a General (Wolf), and were considered pretty gamebreaking on lower difficulties, especially Wolf. They’re back to their native Horseman class here and are...much less threatening.

Here is Vyland. Vyland is apparently like a meme in Japan? He shared a portrait with Matthis in the original game. Vyland loving sucks.

Last we have the even less intimidating Roshea. Four new characters! What bullshit hoops will we have to jump through to recruit them?

none in this chapter

Maybe we’ll find out next time.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

[img]The Battle Of Recap Pass[/img]

Not sure what this is about.

• Locked thread