Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

LordHippoman posted:

Oh, I just wanted Parthia in particular. She can still use the others as general, and next time I can get my hands on an Arms Scroll, I might keep her General.

Vyland is that one guy nobody likes. Roshea only gets to come along because he's probably Wolf's little brother or something, they both have purple hair. So does Maris, but she left early because of how godawful her family is.

Also, uh, fair warning. I just got done screencapping Chapter 19. It might take a while to get ready because it's loving enormous. Somewhere close to 200 screens. I was thinking of splitting it down the middle, but then we'd have "Update 36 Prep, Update 36 Battle 1, Update 36 Battle 2" and it would just get silly. I'll try to cut some of the more redundant stuff (Oh look, Barst killed another guy.), but it's just a really long map. I forgot how many times this one in particular tries to gently caress you over, and it has the hardest recruitment in the game. In short, there were a ton of failed attempts and strategies and screenshots. In graphic form:

gently caress chapter 19.
Eh, I'd say go ahead and do "Update 36 Prep, Update 36 Battle 1, Update 36 Battle 2". More screenshots makes the action easier to follow, and makes things flow better.

More updates are fine.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Well, the number of updates looks like it's going to be up in the air anyway because that map was cursed.

Immediately after completing it my laptop went haywire and now it's kind of a struggle to keep it stable long enough to upload anything before it vomits error codes at me. So this post is coming from another computer, and not the one with the 183 screenshot update sitting on it, and the savefiles for the game. So it's off to tech support I go, and that could be a while.

Hopefully everything is recoverable (it should be, it just looks like a display issue?) because my last backup is sitting on like, chapter 14! But the LP has risen from death before, and by trusting in the power of a blue haired idiot and his grandpa friend, Fire Emblem 12 has taught me that we can pull through.

EDIT: I didn't want to bump the thread to just post this, but I wanted to give an update on the tech issue thing. I've figured out what the issue with the laptop is, and I can fix it. I invited a friend of mine who's in Tech Support to take a look at it, and he's going to help me fix it up sometime this or next week, whenever he can get over here.

Til then, we're on a bit of an extended hiatus. My original plan was to have this done by the time Fates comes out in the US, but...that might not happen. Sorry about that.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 6, 2015

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
It's Gharnef! He's eating your hard drive! :ohdear:

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

Darth TNT posted:

It's Gharnef! He's eating your hard drive! :ohdear:

Gharnef really is behind all evil in the Fire Emblem universe!

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Support Update: Halloween Special! (Matthis 2, Abel 1, Etzel 1)

Welcome to a very spooky update. Although I cannot access my game file, my screenshots, or anything else, I can still do a support update. Because I refuse to let this important Fire Emblem Holiday go by unused.

Because it's Halloween, we'll be confronting 3 spooky spirit supports! First off, we have the phantom of being The Worst Character, Matthis. Then, the spirit of "I was so much better in the prequel", Abel. Last of all, the crippling ghost of loneliness in "I'm the only person in my class", Etzel.

Let the horrors begin.

i instantly regret my decision (Matthis 2)

: Steve, I'd like to ask you something. I wonder if you could help me get stronger?

: You want to become stronger?

: Me just standing here worrying isn't going to help anyone and I haven't the foggiest idea where Lena even is... But, once I DO learn where she is, as her big brother, it's my duty to save her! That's why I want to become strong.

This would be touching if he wasn't so creepy.

: I see. That's a smart idea.

: Think about it. What if another man saved Lena? If that happened, she would probably start falling for him, right?

: Uh-huh...

: So, if some creep tricked her and then dumped her... Never! As her big brother, I can't let that tragedy befall her!

: S-sir Matthis!

: As her big brother, I must become stronger so I can protect her from all the creeps lurking out there! I'll become the strongest man alive, for Lena's sake!

: Uh, all right. I'll do my best to help you, if I can.

(No I won't. Do not listen to Steve. She is a demon of lies and trickery.)

: Good, I'm counting on you. ...But, I'd prefer it if it didn't involve too much physical exercise. I don't want to get hurt, see...

Altea's Worst Merchant (Abel 1)

: You're... Steve, right? Why the befuddled look on your face?

: Oh, Sir Abel! The truth is I'm trying to light a fire, but to no avail. I was considering going to the storehouse to collect another flintstone, but...

She could...class change to Sage and use a fire tome. Heh. Heh. Heh. hehhhhhhhh. :(

: Ah, I have a flintstone if you need one. Here, take it.

: Oh, thanks.

: Use this tinderbox as well, if you think it'll be useful. I have some pieces of wood, too...

: Y-you're awfully well prepared, Sir Abel.

: I used to run a small shop in Altea, you see. I dealt with these kind of items there.

: So that's why. In that case, should I be paying you...?

: Nah, no need. Just tell me whenever you want them.

: I appreciate the favor, but... Is it really okay? Won't it be problematic for a merchant if you give away things for free?

So, this reminds me a lot of the day I bought my first Fire Emblem. I was coming home with Radiant Dawn, and I went to pick up a cake for a party I was going to. It was a local shop owned by these two really old women. I paid for the cake, and she took my money, gave me the cake, then gave me the money back and said "Thank you" and started to walk away. I had to remind her that you don't actually just give the customer the money back.

The store went out of business the next month, presumably because I was the first person to tell her this.

: Yeah, if you put it that way... Est often got mad at me for it, saying the shop would go bankrupt because I'm too nice...

:spooky: A SPINECHILLING DULL STORY FROM ME :spooky:

Bord (n' Cord) Of The Rings (Etzel 1)

: ...

: Sir Etzel, it's time for the meeting.

: Hm? Oh, got it. Sorry, I'll get going right away.

: That ring... Is it dear to you?

: Yeah... Can you tell?

: Uh-huh. I noticed you staring at it every now and then. Was it a gift from somebody close to you?

Steve's only job is to spy on all our other units.

: Kind of... This is a memento of my late wife.

: ...I see. I'm sorry.

: No, it's all right. My wife dreamed of a peaceful world, and I'm fighting to make her dream a reality. ...But, I suppose I think of her too much.

And that's the end of our special HALLOWEEN EDITION of Bonus Supports. Hopefully I'll be back to the main game soon enough.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 36: Definitely The Final Map Of The Game (Battle 1 of 2)

This loving map.

This loving map has to be split into two parts to contain the sheer amount of bullshit hoops you must jump through if you want a 100% recruit rate. Honestly, if you know the tricks it’s going to pull out on you, you can make this a bit easier on yourself, but I decided I wanted to go in mostly blind again and relive the sheer assholery that Chapter 19 loves. Let’s get started, this has been a long time coming anyway.

Pretty standard team. No Julian, I know, I know, but I didn’t want to risk another game over via reinforcment/ballista owning.

At least Radd is still in a good mood.

Athena you can’t use that.

Not even Buff Wendell can save us.

Let’s go.

: It seems that Hardin has assembled his entire army for the battle.
She’s not kidding, this is the most populated map in the game enemy wise. We’ve got a lot of guys to cut through on our way to Hardin.

: Even so, the people have lost their faith in Emperor Hardin. They welcome us as liberators. It is certainly very reassuring. This is our final battle. It may drag on but all the same, I would ask that you take utmost care.

: Steve, the enemy is the Archanean imperial army. The continent's strongest and most renowned military force. It's strange, but I'm not afraid. Steve, if you're here, then everything will be okay. Everyone, let's go!

Hey whoa what happened? Wasn’t I back towards the back left corner? Well, yeah, but the thing is that on your first two or so turns, nothing happens. You’re just sidling along trying not to get Ballista’d. I skipped it because we have enough screenshots as is.

You may have already noticed the first bullshit thing in this map. Those two thieves are on their way to a village. You have just enough time, with a flier, to stop them. But there are 4 Warriors down there, one with a Silver Bow, just to gently caress your fliers over. Hope you got Iote’s Shield!

Trying to go around the other way will lure all the guys north of here, by the way. Oh, and there’s one more trick, but you’ll see it later.

Back in normal town, Barst is going to lure in some Paladins.

Marth needs the Starsphere because I want him to have the highest stats possible. We are approaching the prime bullshit.

Okay, Malicia is going to Warp Marth to that village. I could kill that Thief with Catria, yeah, but...you’ll see. Sorry I’m kind of rushing through this, but this was like, attempt 5.

You want Marth here ASAP.

: I received King Aurelis's pardon and have been waiting for you. I am truly sorry for the battle of the pass. I realize that an apology means little, so I will now fight under your banner. But... the other Wolfguard members have all sided with the Archanean army. I wonder if I could persuade them. Vyland, at the least... Vyland might listen to what I have to say.

Roshea here is kicking off the Fire Emblem equivalent of a Zelda Trading Quest. You need him to kick off the chain of recruitments in this map. This is a change from the original version of the game, where Roshea was the only recruitable unit here.

Also, if Roshea died in Battle Of The Pass, a generic villager is here instead.

Roshea is goddamn terrible. You’re probably guessing the theme. His growths aren’t bad (70% in Luck is cool), but he’s pretty much unusable without a ton of Arena/Drill Grounds abuse, and Rody is basically a much better version of this dork. You got him in Prologue 3.

Immediately Merric must Rescue Roshea, both because I want him with the main group for reasons you’ll see soon, but also because any of these Warriors will KILL HIM IN A SINGLE ROUND. Roshea is so bad.

Catria offs one of the thieves, and puts herself in position to fight the Warriors.

Also, I put Minerva here to attract a little attention. She’s out of Bow Guy range, but she’ll attract one of these guys away from Marth/Catria, because otherwise they’re going to feel the full impact of all those Warriors at once. And Marth can’t survive that without a lucky dodge. Trial and error speaking here.

Reinforcements! These guys trigger as soon as you kill the thief or reach the village, which gives you almost no time to prepare for…

: The king forbade us from interfering... But I will do anything to protect Coyote! I'll defy his edict if I have to!

Vyland’s here now! As you may have suspected, you need Roshea to talk to him. But he will charge you IMMEDIATELY, so hurry and get Roshea over before this idiot kills himself. Aside from the rescue staff, the only way I could see that being possible would be to block off that corridor with units that don’t have weapons equipped and stall, but then you’ll be eating Vyland/Ballista damage.

Do you see why I hate this one yet?

Speaking of Ballista damage, Merric is thankfully a good dodger here.

Not a kill, but I didn’t need it to be, just to distract the dude.

oh did i mention fortify guys because fortify guys.

this map.

Now come the Warriors, and as you can see, not even Sky Goddess Catria can survive too many hits from them.

She does kill pretty well though.

This guy shoots for Marth though, just to be an rear end.

Paladin man here rushes Nabvo.

Doesn’t end well for him.

You didn’t think this through, did you?

Oh, dammit, my hubris.

Oh, and when the village is cleared, the remaining thief will turn around and rush you. I know this because this forced a restart on like, Attempt 4.

That was satisfying.

Here comes Vyland and pals.

So, here’s Vyland. As you can see, he is also poo poo.

Time to clean up the remainder of these Paladins while we wait.

The other, non-Vyland Paladins are disposable, and you want them down, because they will kill Vyland, because, as aforementioned, he blows. Malicia should handle it pretty easily.

Now I’m rescuing Marth the hell out of there.

That gets Merric a good level, at least.

Minerva also clears out.

Catria retreats to the border of the map, grabs a Javelin and chugs an Energy Drink. This is going to be a battle of endurance now.

You can have this back, Sheema.

Ah gently caress I forgot about those.

This was just bad luck.

Wow, 82 accuracy on a Tomahawk against Catria in a forest? That is a...surprisingly accurate Warrior.

And with nearly no health left, Catria has all but one Warrior down.

This looks bad. But I have Nosferatu. It’s not an issue.

Now only one generic Paladin and Vyland remain.

Roshea, get this over with.

: Aha! Have you decided to join the Altean army like me?

: Roshea, I came to bring you back. Why have you turned to the Alteans? We are Coyote's subordinates. Open your eyes! You're being deceived!

: You're wrong, Vyland. The time I spent with the Alteans was short, but I know one thing for sure. It's not as Coyote says. They're not evil people.

: Roshea…

: Vyland, please. I don't want to fight all of you. Especially you, Vyland...

: ............ Well, Roshea... You were always the kindest out of us in the Wolfguard.. You've always been able to tell which were the good guys, and which were the bad. I can't fight you, Roshea. If you, our brother-in-arms, are this sure, then I believe you. I am your ally from now on.

: Vyland…!

And after that incredibly convoluted sequence of Warps, Rescues, and enemy pulls, we get Vyland.

surprise he blows. If Roshea is Horrible Rody, Vyland is Horrible Luke. Better Strength/Defense, Worse Skill/Speed, still nearly impossible to use without abusing Arena/Drill Grounds, and not worth the effort.

As a demonstration, he gets doubled by his own loving generic goons.

Marth and Minerva clear that up, and now we can move on to the next section of the map.

Catria can now get the gently caress outta there.

That Warrior is going to get introduced to Barst.

I wanted to save this for emergencies. I consider this map an emergency.

Malica pops this to heal everyone up. We’ve stalled long enough.

Luke gets ready to pull in the next group.

Ow. Sheema’s HP not doing her any favors.

I love these animations.

Well that’s a little better. Barst has already pretty much capped everything he’s usually going to get, so I’m not expecting much more.

Bow Man’s revenge.

OH poo poo A CRIT...for 12 damage.

Thankfully Luke can double these guys.

Oh neat, Res.

Oh, there’s Sedgar. I’ll recruit him with Vyland and...gently caress.

Waste of a rescue stave? Maybe. But again, THIS MAP.

same.

Get over here, idiot.

: What's the meaning of this, Vyland? Don't tell me you've defected!?

: Listen, Sedgar. I--I don't know. What am I supposed to do? I loved Coyote like a brother. All I wanted was to fight for him. But... But he has changed for the worse. It's as though he's someone else now...

: ……

Double Ellipsis. poo poo is getting real.

: I wanted to serve him, always. That's why I've been turning a blind eye. I shut myself, trying to remember the Coyote who loved us so long ago. It really hurt to face the truth. That Coyote's not who he used to be... I just don't know anymore. Hey, Sedgar... What the hell am I supposed to do?

I do love that last line.

: Vyland... I too... I feel the same way. I know he's gone insane, but I looked the other way and blocked my senses. One day, he'll go back to being our Coyote... That's what I kept telling myself.

: Roshea has gone over to the Alteans. I cannot fight him. Sedgar, you should come too. I don't know what's right anymore. But I don't want to fight you, either.

: Yes... Even though Coyote's madness was clear to me, I did nothing. I have to make this right.

We’ll look at Sedgar in a sec but first FUCKKKK THIS BALLISTA.

Oh Sedgar. Dear old Sedgar. What have they done to you? Sedgar is, quite possibly, even worse than the other Wolfguard. His growths are alright, but with only 10 levels to use them and those atrocious base stats, he’s just horrible. I may have said Abel was the most gutted unit between games, but you could make a very strong case for Sedgar.

Steve finishes off the last Sedgar lackey.

Sheema, let’s get you to that arena.

Oh, apparently moving Luke to hit the Ballista has pulled the rest of these guys. Time for a tactical retreat.

EVERYBODY HIDE IN THE TOWN. Except Barst. I’m not worried about Barst.

Pictured: Reasons I am not worried about Barst.

Still more of ‘em, though.

Dammit Ogma :(

Some of our All Stars start burning down the remaining Paladins.

Res!

That’s the end of them for now.

Meanwhile, Merric and Sheema have some work to do…

What? Navabble, wait your turn!

Lots of stuff to buy here, just your standard weapons/staffs though. I didn’t pick anything up, we’re doing fine on supplies.

The rest of the team is getting ready for the next group.

That’s one pesky Sage down.

Make it two!

Now all that’s left is...this mess. And there’s a recruitable unit in there too.

We’ll save that for next time. Next time, this map pulls out it’s meanest trick, we fight through a drat hail of Ballista fire, we try to prevent Wolf from killing himself before I can recruit him, and we learn the terrible secret of Emperor Hardin.

It’ll take me a little while (and I also want to avoid the dreaded triple post), but we’ll be back soon with more...this.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Catria's chance to get hit on that forest was so high because flying units don't actually benefit from terrain.
Also, I remembered the wolfguard being bad, but not highest stat of 15 at level 8 promoted bad.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Hippoman is back! :allears:

SSuch a shame about Sedgar and Wolf.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

Also, I remembered the wolfguard being bad, but not highest stat of 15 at level 8 promoted bad.
Same here. I was not expecting "so embarrassingly poo poo that generics look better than them". And they're supposed to be some of Hardin's elite commanders, no less.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Definitely The Final Map Of The Game (Battle 2 of 2)

Alright, time for the final gauntlet. This part is extremely finicky if you don’t know just what you’re doing.

Due to the late promotion time, our favorite Scarlet Swordsman is a bit behind the other promoted units among our regular crew, so I’m letting him do some Arena grinding.

Meanwhile up top, ouch.

Malicia is going to be doing this a lot. Note that I’m keeping Sedgar with us, we’ll need him.

Barst and Ogma on these forts should make for a solid defensive barrier.

Would you cut that out!

Oops, Ogma can’t use ranged weapons.

But she can.

Barst advances on the Ballista. What happens has been censored for your delicate viewing eyes.

This was not though.

Now Ogma can take this guy down.

And it’s time for Rescue again to get Barst the hell outta there. Why?

REINFORCEMENTS FROM EVERY FORT IS WHY (They trigger as soon as someone enters this big ring area)

Stand firm, Ogma!

So this doesn’t look...great. But someone has to be able to hold all these guys off.

Not him.

The teenager mage should be able to survive this! Alternatively, I suppose a General with good Res could work, or you could pull back and let them come to you, though it’s tricky on Hard and above, given how many are mounted.

Some of the enemies are uncooperative, though. Poor Catria.

Imagine this happening on loop. Forever. That’s this turn.

More Magic. More. The cap is 30 for Sages, and I want to hit it.

This is all that remains after Maliciageddon 2015.

Now for some medical duty. The red area is Wolf’s attack area.

Send in the lure Catria.

SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER HERE’S ALL THOSE REINFORCEMENTS, AGAIN

Still, most of them go for Malicia, because she has 6 Defense. They don’t know about Nosferatu.

They never will.

Still some coming though…

Your duty is complete, Catria, get the hell out.

Everybody back up so Wolf doesn’t kill himself.

(He missed)

Sedgar, go!

: Sedgar! What are you doing?! So you've chosen to betray Coyote?!

: No, it's not like that! This is for Coyote's own good! Something's wrong with Coyote. Even you must know that!

: That changes nothing! I will die at Coyote's side! I swore as much! Though all of you might betray us. Though I might be alone. I will not abandon him!

: Even though you disobey his heart?

: What do you mean!?

No, I’m with Wolf, what was that cheesy line, Sedgar?

: Wolf, do you remember what Coyote said to you, the day you became commander of the Wolfguard?

: …….!

A man of few words, and much punctuation.

: "If I should wander from the path of the righteous, please... lead me back onto it." That's what he said.

: I should never have forgotten. The words of Coyote himself... But, to tell me that time has come... That we must... That we must defeat Coyote...

: We have to remind Coyote of the day we swore allegiance to him. No matter how painful it may be... That is our only recourse. I never wanted to believe it would come to this...

: Enough, Sedgar! For goodness sake... It would have been better had I died at Adria Pass... I am the commander of the Wolfguard... The life that Coyote gave me... I will not waste it. Even if that should lead to Coyote's death...

Evidently I forgot to grab a shot of recruited Wolf’s stats, but they’re the same as they were a few screens ago. He is also completely terrible. Decent growths, but no room to use them and bases only slightly better than Sedgar’s. The whole Wolfguard is pretty much here for completionism’s sake, and they’re important for getting a bonus chapter.

Now for the generics.

Meanwhile back at the Arena…

About what you’d expect from a Swordmaster level.

Okay. Last call before we charge in on those ballista.

This one rear end in a top hat is still around.

Catria prepares for a sneak attack.

Everybody’s getting shot by Ballista today.

That takes care of that one.

One left!

Might as well let Barst start on wearing down these Boss guards.

I was a little worried about this.

Also this. Thankfully there was no surprise Ballista owning.

Finally done with these.

Good weakening, Catria. R.I.P. Javelin.

Now it’s only Nerring.

So here’s an arena that almost went horribly wrong. He missed the next shot.

Oh yeah, these Bishops are still around. Sorry guys, Sirius needs EXP.

Dammit, I knew I’d mess up one of these crops.

That’s encouraging, though. Not bad.

Anyway, Nerring.

Fairly imposing boss, lots of defensive stats, but nothing you haven’t seen before.

Also Marth crits!

Keep that HP up.

Arena Healing gets Merric another good level.

Sirius cuts Nerring close to death…

And the Prince finishes him.

Okay Marth, I know you aren’t even close to your caps. That’s just a sad level.

Grabbed Minerva an Arena level too. Nice one.

And finally, that’s the end.

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

It’s Boah! You might remember him from that one bonus chapter! Or the prequel!

: Ngh... this is terrible... House Archanea must truly be cursed. As you know, two years ago...

Get ready for some PLOT.

: Hardin and Princess Nyna were wed. In order to restore Archanea to glory, a king was needed. There were but two suitable individuals: King Aurelis's younger brother, Duke Hardin, and you, Prince Marth of Altea... Princess Nyna begged me to wait just a while longer, but once I insisted of its absolute urgency... She said that it could not be you, for Princess Caeda would grieve. In the end, Hardin was our only choice...

So, in like, the first few pages of the thread, someone joked about how this entire game is sorta Boah’s fault? Here’s the rationale for that.

: Let me get this straight. I understand that Archanea could not be without a king. But Princess Nyna, she already...

: You speak of Sir Camus of Grust? The people must never know... 'Twould be heresy.

Also Camus is...dead? MIA? Shadow Dragon has him as an optional fight to get the Gradivus, but since Hardin got it back, I assumed that fight did happen. Either way, yeah, Nyna had a bit of a crush on him.

: The decision cost us dearly, but what choice did we have? It was for our country. On the bright side, Hardin was happy. In fact, the thought that he was to be Princess Nyna's husband pleased him greater than his ascension to the throne.

: I know of his feelings. I know that he would have given his life for Princess Nyna.

“She would never face him in the hallway.”

: It pained him greatly... He shut himself into his room, drinking away his sorrows, and saw no one. Spotting an opportune moment, as Hardin wallowed in heartbreak, Gharnef appeared. The despairing emperor's heart was gripped by the Darksphere in an instant. He completely changed as a person from then. I've made a terrible mistake, out of my concern for this kingdom. Please forgive me, Prince Marth...

: So that's how it is. ...And what of Princess Nyna? How is she now?

: Hardin handed Princess Nyna to Gharnef.

Wondering why all our old Cleric friends have disappeared? Sounds like Ol’ Gharnef wasn’t exactly happy with the resolution of the last game.

: Prince Marth, my end is nigh. I shall give you my tome and staff. Please save Princess Nyna. Even if Archanea's destruction cannot be undone... Make sure that she is safe…

And so, Boah joins poor Lorenz in the list of characters from the prequel who couldn’t be playable again for reasons of “dead”. :smith:

At least he left us his stuff.

And that’s the end of the chapter.

Next time we fight Hardin.

No, like, for real this time.

Update 37: Going Hardin The Paint

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 14, 2015

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

LordHippoman posted:

: Prince Marth, my end is nigh. I shall give you my tome and staff. Please save Princess Nyna. Even if Archanea's destruction cannot be undone... Make sure that she is safe…

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The sad thing about Hardin is that you fight him like 3 chapters too late. Compare him to Barst right now.

On the other hand, the game being honest about what Boa is would have been to the player is quite refreshing.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Well that's probably my favorite accidental portrait swap yet. Fixed now though.

FoolyCharged posted:

The sad thing about Hardin is that you fight him like 3 chapters too late. Compare him to Barst right now.

On the other hand, the game being honest about what Boa is would have been to the player is quite refreshing.

Yeah, that's an issue that befalls a lot of late game FE bosses. By the time you fight them, they're heads and shoulders above the generics, sure, but you've got some godly units on your side too. At least his Res is good so he can't just be crushed by Magic, but hammers are still very much a thing. I'll have more to say about Hardin when we actually take him on.

AradoBalanga posted:

Same here. I was not expecting "so embarrassingly poo poo that generics look better than them". And they're supposed to be some of Hardin's elite commanders, no less.

Darth TNT posted:

Hippoman is back! :allears:

SSuch a shame about Sedgar and Wolf.

FoolyCharged posted:

Catria's chance to get hit on that forest was so high because flying units don't actually benefit from terrain.

I had forgotten that about fliers. Still, I was impressed by the 82, considering those guys have the worst Skill most of the time.

And yeah, the Wolfguard are...so bad. It's weird. They were added for the remake (aside from Roshea), but they were in the original as enemies. I'm guessing they didn't want to raise their stats to make the map harder, but they're actually pretty hard to recruit (loving Vyland) and there's sort of little payoff for it with them as units, aside from the bonus thing they unlock (I say, being as vague as possible even after I already mentioned it in the update).

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Considering how hard they worked at making sure you could recruit everyone, I'm surprised they didn't include some really secret way to keep Boah or Lorenz from dying. Though, I feel like they'd be pretty complex secrets, and recruitment hasn't been really complex in any Fire Emblem since Radiant Dawn. Frankly, I kind of liked the crazier secrets in RD, like recruiting Lehran and getting the bonus scenes with Soren. Then again, I play a lot of Super Robot Wars, so I'm no stranger to excessively convoluted secrets in my SRPGs.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.
The moment when you say "gently caress this" and start using Fortifies yourself is one of the most cathartic moments in this game for me. In the next map, I gave Elrean Fortify and since then all he had to do was spam it like he was an npc. I can only imagine what the enemies were thinking of me then.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Yyyyyeah, that map. :suicide:

Really though, the big problem is the Dorkguard. Having to juggle three useless characters through almost the entire thing just to recruit the fourth at the end doesn't make an already obnoxious map any less painful. Personally, I would suggest anyone playing along at home to kill them for their EXP. Hey, it's probably going to be more useful than the characters...

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

vilkacis posted:

Yyyyyeah, that map. :suicide:

Really though, the big problem is the Dorkguard. Having to juggle three useless characters through almost the entire thing just to recruit the fourth at the end doesn't make an already obnoxious map any less painful. Personally, I would suggest anyone playing along at home to kill them for their EXP. Hey, it's probably going to be more useful than the characters...

The only thing worth it about the Wolfguard is that they make unlocking the next bonus chapter easier. That said, you might not even get that, depending on things that will get explained next update.

Oh, just to let people know, I've updated the OP with a Cast List. Forgot who the gently caress Leiden was? Want to recall the good memories of recruiting Bord? It's all there now! (I had some time while my screenshots were in broken laptop hell)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I honestly forgot there were so many characters in this game. I guess it's kind of like Pokemon: You're gonna catch 'em all, but in all honestly you're only going to use the same handful of fighters that you like.

Does every FE game have an ensemble cast of pretty men with rainbow hair? (I realize part of it is to give you options if you lost/failed to recruit a character of a particular type.)

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Solumin posted:

I honestly forgot there were so many characters in this game. I guess it's kind of like Pokemon: You're gonna catch 'em all, but in all honestly you're only going to use the same handful of fighters that you like.

Does every FE game have an ensemble cast of pretty men with rainbow hair? (I realize part of it is to give you options if you lost/failed to recruit a character of a particular type.)

Yes, but to...varying degrees?

Like, most of them don't have a cast as big as this one. In fact, none of them do, unless Fates changes it and I'm unaware (Or you count the SpotPass cameo characters in Awakening), this has the biggest cast. And this and FE11 have a special feature where if you're just doing horribly and you have too few units, the game will start giving you Generic Units you can deploy instead.

I think the only game that comes close to this many characters than this is FE10, Radiant Dawn.

I honestly couldn't tell you what game has the least amount of characters. I think it's probably...4? I haven't played that one through all the way though. That game also has a gimmick that DRASTICALLY cuts the cast though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

I honestly couldn't tell you what game has the least amount of characters. I think it's probably...4? I haven't played that one through all the way though. That game also has a gimmick that DRASTICALLY cuts the cast though.
That would be FE8, which has about...36ish(?) characters, and that's also including the bonus characters you get after clearing the main game. All of the other games have at least 40 playable characters, with Radiant Dawn and New Mystery definitely jockeying for the title of most amount of playable characters.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I've read Fedule's LPs of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn*, and I feel those games did a better job of making all the characters important. There were so many characters because the story was so long and involved, and a lot of them had solid characterizations, even if they weren't directly involved with the plot.

But it's also been a few years since I read those so I could be forgetting how many characters there actually were and how important they all were. Plus the MU in this game takes a really plot-centric role that might have been filled by multiple NPCs otherwise.

*I am not a huge fan of playing strategy/tactics games, though I love watching people beat them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

LordHippoman posted:

Yes, but to...varying degrees?

Like, most of them don't have a cast as big as this one. In fact, none of them do, unless Fates changes it and I'm unaware (Or you count the SpotPass cameo characters in Awakening), this has the biggest cast. And this and FE11 have a special feature where if you're just doing horribly and you have too few units, the game will start giving you Generic Units you can deploy instead.

Fire Emblem Revelation (The third path where you can recruit everyone) has about 66 characters total, not including amiibos like the Awakening cast, Marth, and Ike who are "special" amiibo characters.

Solumin posted:

I've read Fedule's LPs of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn*, and I feel those games did a better job of making all the characters important.

Not really. Fire Emblem has a core cast and remaining 80% are regulated in support conversations. You might be confusing that with actual story stuff.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Tae posted:

Not really. Fire Emblem has a core cast and remaining 80% are regulated in support conversations. You might be confusing that with actual story stuff.

Yeah, probably.

...this is a bad time to start reading old FE LPs but christ am I tempted.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

Path of Radiance at least tended to spread the love a little more. Malakov wasn't important, but if you recruited him at all, you knew what his deal was and how he interacted with Marcia. The base conversations helped, but overall I'd say it did the most of any Fire Emblem I've played of dividing attention around the cast.

There's obvious leads and more minor characters, of course, but the division between "Lead Character, Pay Attention" and "We figured you needed a fighter, so... here?" was a little less obvious.

This game is the exact opposite, of course.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 37: Going Hardin The Paint (Prep)

Can you feel the endgame coming? Let’s break into this palace and take down the Dark Emperor.

Yeah, what I said.

That’s a pretty good picture, but I still can’t get over how the artist just refuses to draw open eyes. Thankfully most of the characters in this game have the anime hair to avoid it entirely, but still.

Narrator: The palace: a golden capital proud of its six hundred years of history. However, under the attack of Altea's allied forces, it fell in a mere day.

Okay, it certainly didn’t feel like it, I felt like I’d been playing Chapter 19 for 10 years.

Narrator: The Archaneans welcomed them as liberators, supporting them without sparing efforts. All of them had bitter words about Hardin and his bodyguards, who were inside the castle. The people now called Hardin the Dark Emperor. A title symbolic of the people's hatred for he who had killed so many.
"I didn't wish to fight, given the choice, but now that it's come to this..."

Marth raises Anri's flag up high, issuing his final order.

"Go, heroes of Altea! This is the final battle.
All forces, charge into the palace!!"

“Jagen I literally just said that.”

: Do not forget that Hardin is shielded by the Darksphere.

Did you get that? If you didn’t, don’t worry, he’ll remind you.

: Ensure, at all costs, that it's given to the person who will fight Hardin.

Alright, Dark Emperor. A tough map, but not nearly as tedious/bad as the last one. It pretty much shows you its bullshit parts up front (Swarm Bishops, mostly)

The Lightsphere has to be held by the unit who attacks Hardin, or he will nullify all damage. Barst with the Hammer is probably our best bet of defeating him, but I might play around with it a bit. You can pass it between people, of course. Also, the Lightsphere is the only Orb you’re absolutely required to get, so it’s impossible to hit this chapter without it, in case you were worried about that.

Handed a Stat Booster out to Sheema, she could certainly use it.

This has been sitting around forever and Minerva’s skill is kinda low, plus she uses Axes, so it’s hers.

How’s Everyone?

I had no idea what that was. (It can be Used to give you bonus Res, like a Pure Water..)

One more stat booster. Steve’s Defense still hasn’t gotten good, despite her spending some time in Paladin.

Quite a bit to talk about today.

A Little Horse to Heart

: But the war isn't over yet. Please lend me your strength for a little while longer.’’

: Taking care of your wyvern, Commander? If you're just talking to it, then I could do it in your place.

Don’t let Steve do it, she’ll scare it by talking about how her grandpa used to eat wyverns alive or whatever.

: No, this is something I must do myself. We can't fight properly during battle if there isn't trust between rider and wyvern, after all. It's just like pegasus training.

: I see... But you're well-informed, if you know about pegasus training.

: That's because I used to be a pegasus rider, myself.

: Is that true? I honestly had no idea. .........

: What's wrong?

: ...Commander, why did you switch from a pegasus to a wyvern?

That’s just how you guys promote in this game unless you use that whip.

: Are you curious?

: Yes... Forgive me. Have I asked too much?

: I don't mind. It isn't such a private matter. To put it simply... I had to, to become stronger. Macedon isn't a large kingdom. And there's only one reason it's recognized by other kingdoms as an independent nation: Because of its legion of dracoknights. So, to symbolize Macedon's might, those of House Macedon must ride wyverns... And that's why I released my pegasus into the forest and took a Wyvern Whip.

: So that’s what happened…

: I wonder if the pegasus I befriended is still in Macedon's forests... Once this war is over and peace returns, I'd like to go see how he's faring. ...It's almost time for the war council already. I'm going ahead, Catria.

I’m sure the War Council is an exciting affair where, every time, Jagen reminds everyone what a war council is, why they’re at the War Council, and that Hardin possesses the Darksphere.

: Commander is truly a gentle, peace-loving soul... I wonder if the white wings of a pegasus would truly be best suited for her…

Nah, that red armor and hair, she’s totally Wyvern themed.

Unmasked

: Dame Steve.

: You are... maintaining your weapons, correct?

: That's right. My weapon once broke during a mission... Since then, I've been ever vigilant.

: What? So even someone as skilled as you made a simple error like that once...? Was it some kind of special mission?

: Yes. I had to escort someone... or rather, help her escape into exile.

Huh, that sounds like it would make a good bonus chapter. Hmm.

: So you had to defend and escape... That sounds rather difficult.

: Yes. The main problem was that there were simply too many enemies. If my mighty lance were to break, it'd be all over.

: I see...that’s true.

: Well, that’s one reason… But there’s another reason I need to take care of my weapon.

: Hm? And what would that be?

Whoops.

: Oh, y-you mean... I'm really, really sorry about that…

: Haha, how rude of me.

: ...Wait! There's someone here...!

Oh no! And we can only fit two portraits on screen!

: Wha--Oh no…

: Look out!

FIGHTSOUNDS.WAV

: . It seems the enemy managed to escape... I'm sorry. If you hadn't helped me, I'd be…

: We’ll be even, then.

: I understand.

But...but the player didn’t see anything! What a ripoff!

(If you haven’t figured out who Sirius is yet, it’ll become crystal clear by the end, no worries. You’ve probably already pieced it together though. He’s not the best at disguises.)

A Climactic Jagen

: Emperor Hardin is likely waiting in his throne. Now is the time for us to settle this. Right now, there are many who wish for Prince Marth to defeat Hardin and liberate Archanea. But the prince seems bent on rescuing Hardin from the clutches of the Darksphere. And we still have to defeat Gharnef and rescue the princess and the other clerics. Many people are waiting for us. Steve, I expect great things from you!

Holy poo poo, the Jagen respect is here. We really are coming up on the end.

Use the goddamn lightsphere, player

: Only with the Lightsphere can we hope to prevail against Hardin. So you must be absolutely sure that whoever challenges him carries the Lightsphere.

: Understood, Sir Jagen.

Do you get it yet? Here’s the map.

It’s another throwback to Shadow Dragon. Like Chapter 19, this one came fairly early in SD, and was much easier. Now we’ve got a lot to handle. We start in the center, and have to move in a C shape to reach Emperor Hardin.

This entrance hall is empty except for a Thief we’ll want to take out ASAP.

The cell in the top left corner was where you could save Boah, Midia, Tomas, Dolph, and Macellan in SD, but now it’s just full of Swarm Bishops and sadness. Also a chest.

Have I mentioned Swarm Bishops yet? This one is guarding a hall full of treasure.

The lower left only has one enemy, but it’s a loving doozy. Hardin’s got himself an Earth Dragon. A single Earth Dragon was the final boss of Shadow Dragon. This one isn’t as powerful as Medeus in that game, but he moves, and 43 attack, ranged, is absolutely nothing to sneeze at. This guy can be a bigger issue than Hardin.

A little south of Hardin we have Fortify Man, because they’re pretty much standard issue for these last few maps.

The southeast corner is a ~mystery zone~. Who knows what could be hiding here until the door is opened? The answer is probably “more enemies”. In fact, yes, yes it is.

The man himself is guarded by a retinue of ranged units that will make it hard to get to him, and a few Generals for good measure.

Hardin is the hardest boss we’ve fought yet, fitting for the big climactic encounter. 62 HP is higher than any of our units will ever get, it caps at 60 for any playable unit type. He has 80 on the highest difficulty, but that’s the least of your problems on Lunatic anyway. Gradivus gives him range and power, with a whopping 45 attack, and 24 speed makes him very hard to double. Thankfully, he has Zero Luck, so you won’t have to worry much about crits. (They probably just didn’t want to make a fancy crit animation for him, if he has one I couldn’t find it.) Also, since the Lightsphere negates Terrain Bonuses, that 2 Def and 20 Avoid from the Throne doesn’t help him. He will still heal though, and with those drat Fortify guys around...it’s in your best interest to burn him down quickly.

Here’s a better shot of the Room full of Treasure. If you want, you can go through here and just...negate the Earth Dragon entirely, but you’ll be missing out on lots of EXP and be in a more cramped space to fight Hardin. Don’t worry about the locked doors, that Master Key comes in handy. Julian could work too, but his survivability in this chapter is kinda bad with all the Swarm Bishops, so if you do use him, be very careful.

Next time, retaking Archanea.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

LordHippoman posted:

(If you haven’t figured out who Sirius is yet, it’ll become crystal clear by the end, no worries. You’ve probably already pieced it together though. He’s not the best at disguises.)

Well, it's obvious who Sirius is, he's clearly veteran voice actor Shuichi Ikeda!

Also, it might be vaguely interesting for you guys to know that Nabarl and Ogma got namedropped in a largely unrelated game. The crossover SRPG, Project X Zone 2, just dropped in Japan, and includes an early scene (like, prologue chapters) with Tiki (in her FE:Awakening incarnation), and she compares a couple guys from Tales of Vesperia to our two favorite sword enthusiasts due to the two of them having a sort of Swordmaster-Hero dichotomy going on between their fighting styles. I thought it was pretty cool. Also the line is voiced, so you can finally hear how you pronounce "Nabarl".

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Now would be a fitting time for Steve to shed his mask as well and reclaim his birthright as the son of Medeus!

EclecticTastes posted:

Well, it's obvious who Sirius is, he's clearly veteran voice actor Shuichi Ikeda!

Also, it might be vaguely interesting for you guys to know that Nabarl and Ogma got namedropped in a largely unrelated game. The crossover SRPG, Project X Zone 2, just dropped in Japan, and includes an early scene (like, prologue chapters) with Tiki (in her FE:Awakening incarnation), and she compares a couple guys from Tales of Vesperia to our two favorite sword enthusiasts due to the two of them having a sort of Swordmaster-Hero dichotomy going on between their fighting styles. I thought it was pretty cool. Also the line is voiced, so you can finally hear how you pronounce "Nabarl".
But how is it spelled?!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Now would be a fitting time for Steve to shed his mask as well and reclaim his birthright as the son of Medeus!

But how is it spelled?!

ナバール

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Hardin does in fact have a crit animation, and if I recall correctly it looks similar to Ephraim's crit in FE8.
Also, Luck only helps preventing crit, it has nothing to do with the critical formula itself.
Also also, guess who completely forgot about the Lightsphere until the chapter was completely cleared out and then had to go inventory shuffling to get it out of the convoy.:ughh:

Edit: I have way too much time on my hands.

LifeofaGuardian fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Nov 15, 2015

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

If you haven’t figured out who Sirius is yet, it’ll become crystal clear by the end

I sadly got spoiled by checking out the OST before playing the game. His theme song gives it away, just like that. :(

LifeofaGuardian posted:

You've done good, kid. You've done good.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

The crossover SRPG, Project X Zone 2, just dropped in Japan, and includes an early scene (like, prologue chapters) with Tiki (in her FE:Awakening incarnation), and she compares a couple guys from Tales of Vesperia to our two favorite sword enthusiasts due to the two of them having a sort of Swordmaster-Hero dichotomy going on between their fighting styles. I thought it was pretty cool. Also the line is voiced, so you can finally hear how you pronounce "Nabarl".

Oh, thanks. As an unashamed Tales-Game-Liker, that's really cool for me, because Yuri was a really good character, and NaThatGuy uh...well, he exists. I wouldn't have found that because I really wasn't into Project X-Zone, I tried it out, but didn't see the appeal. Thanks for letting me know that, it's cool that Nintendo is like, acknowledging the old FE games exist.

LifeofaGuardian posted:

Hardin does in fact have a crit animation, and if I recall correctly it looks similar to Ephraim's crit in FE8.
Also, Luck only helps preventing crit, it has nothing to do with the critical formula itself.
Also also, guess who completely forgot about the Lightsphere until the chapter was completely cleared out and then had to go inventory shuffling to get it out of the convoy.:ughh:

Oh. I always forget what Luck does. Thanks. I couldn't find Hardin's crit like, anywhere though. I could see it basically being Ephraim's though. (He twirls his lance around, then stabs it forward.)

Also that is a level of FE12 mastery I will never achieve. You have attained PRIME WRYS. Holy poo poo 25 Res. My god.

vilkacis posted:

I sadly got spoiled by checking out the OST before playing the game. His theme song gives it away, just like that. :(

If we keep going down this route someone's gonna make the "and his name is JOHN CENA" joke and we're gonna have to shut the thread down. But I'm willing to take that risk.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

If we keep going down this route someone's gonna make the "and his name is JOHN CENA" joke and we're gonna have to shut the thread down. But I'm willing to take that risk.

Well, his name is actually Leon Magnus boom that's both a Char and a Tales reference all in one.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

LordHippoman posted:

Oh, thanks. As an unashamed Tales-Game-Liker, that's really cool for me, because Yuri was a really good character, and NaThatGuy uh...well, he exists. I wouldn't have found that because I really wasn't into Project X-Zone, I tried it out, but didn't see the appeal. Thanks for letting me know that, it's cool that Nintendo is like, acknowledging the old FE games exist.

Nintendo's always acknowledged. Why else do you think Marth gets in a billion spin-offs? Wrys of all people gets a cut-in codename STEAM.

As for Project Cross zone, it's a badly designed game in a convoluted super canon story path that makes Kingdom Hearts logical.

edit: like, super bad

Tae fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 16, 2015

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Tae posted:

Nintendo's always acknowledged. Why else do you think Marth gets in a billion spin-offs? Wrys of all people gets a cut-in codename STEAM.

As for Project Cross zone, it's a badly designed game in a convoluted super canon story path that makes Kingdom Hearts logical.

Let's not get sidetracked talking about your wrong opinions about Project X Zone. I only brought it up because a couple dudes from this game got mentioned and I was pleasantly surprised.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Tae posted:

Oh, I meant cameos besides Marth/Awakening Guys. They get a lot of attention, sure, but like, Ogma? That's pretty rare (Although he basically does appear, in spirit, in all the games). That Wrys cut in is great though, I think I posted it after like, Chapter 7? It's in the thread somewhere. Marth's special super move is just like "Break the boundaries of space/time, summon this old guy I knew once."

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Have you seen FExSMT? They said that they're specifically only pulling FE characters from Awakening and Marth's games. Then there's Palla, Catria, and Est getting the last three DLC spots in Awakening when we still had three actual Lords who never got one.

They actually push the Akaneia cast harder than any game's besides Awakening.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Scrap Dragon posted:

Have you seen FExSMT? They said that they're specifically only pulling FE characters from Awakening and Marth's games. Then there's Palla, Catria, and Est getting the last three DLC spots in Awakening when we still had three actual Lords who never got one.

They actually push the Akaneia cast harder than any game's besides Awakening.

They've generally also not forgotten Ike and the Tellius games.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Scrap Dragon posted:

Then there's Palla, Catria, and Est getting the last three DLC spots in Awakening when we still had three actual Lords who never got one.

Let's be real here, Leaf doesn't deserve any cameos. Yeah the other 'forgotten' lords are okay and all, but Leaf loving sucks and deserves to be buried in the archives forever.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Raitzeno posted:

Let's be real here, Leaf doesn't deserve any cameos. Yeah the other 'forgotten' lords are okay and all, but Leaf loving sucks and deserves to be buried in the archives forever.

Leaf actually did get one of Awakening's DLC spots :ssh:

The three who didn't were Eliwood, Hector, and Sigurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Well, that blows. Eliwood is similar enough to Roy that nobody cares, but Hector was fantastic (Axe Lord, hell yeah) and, well... how the gently caress did Leaf beat out Sigurd? :confused:

• Locked thread