Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Raitzeno posted:

Well, that blows. Eliwood is similar enough to Roy that nobody cares, but Hector was fantastic (Axe Lord, hell yeah) and, well... how the gently caress did Leaf beat out Sigurd? :confused:

My guess is everyone remembers using him in Genealogy of the Holy War, where he managed to stand out as especially broken in a game where pretty much every character in the second half was a god of death unto themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Solumin posted:

Yeah, probably.

...this is a bad time to start reading old FE LPs but christ am I tempted.
There is no such thing.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

theshim posted:

There is no such thing.

You're right. Grades can wait.

Your avatar is from Fedule's Path of Radiance LP, right? That was a good one, I should read it again.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Solumin posted:

You're right. Grades can wait.

Your avatar is from Fedule's Path of Radiance LP, right? That was a good one, I should read it again.
My avatar is far, far older than that, but yeah, that's when I grabbed it. :v:

Also rereading FE5 was amazing. I don't think I'll ever appreciate anything as much as hostile neutral troops.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I bet Barst and Marty would be bros.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

theshim posted:

My avatar is far, far older than that, but yeah, that's when I grabbed it. :v:

Also rereading FE5 was amazing. I don't think I'll ever appreciate anything as much as hostile neutral troops.

Heal Staves missing is still the rudest poo poo Fire Emblem has ever pulled, and I'm counting Shadow Dragon's "commit mass suicide to get the bonus chapters!", Radiant Dawn making you play as the Dork Brigade against the vastly better other playable characters, this game's Vyland/Sedgar/Wolf recruitment, and apparently Fates literally shoving your Jagen off a bridge in like chapter 7.

Scrap Dragon posted:

Leaf actually did get one of Awakening's DLC spots :ssh:

The three who didn't were Eliwood, Hector, and Sigurd.

Still upset that the SpotPass Hector is General Hector and not far cooler "Dunk Everyone With An Axe" Hector. FE7 Hector was pretty much Barst if he was a Lord, and I'm fine with this.

Edit: Just finished up Chapter 20, this one is definitely a 2 parter too. This map is also really long, and there's a lot of dialogue, especially at the end.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 17, 2015

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Heal Staves missing is still the rudest poo poo Fire Emblem has ever pulled, and I'm counting Shadow Dragon's "commit mass suicide to get the bonus chapters!", Radiant Dawn making you play as the Dork Brigade against the vastly better other playable characters, this game's Vyland/Sedgar/Wolf recruitment, and apparently Fates literally shoving your Jagen off a bridge in like chapter 7.

Still upset that the SpotPass Hector is General Hector and not far cooler "Dunk Everyone With An Axe" Hector. FE7 Hector was pretty much Barst if he was a Lord, and I'm fine with this.

Edit: Just finished up Chapter 20, this one is definitely a 2 parter too. This map is also really long, and there's a lot of dialogue, especially at the end.

I will defend the dorkDawn brigade till the day I die! :black101:

Man, your comment got me to read up more on Fates (and decide I should finish my Awakening playthrough) but Fates looks stupidly complicated with the different versions and storylines. It's really turning me off.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Update 37: Going Hardin The Paint (Battle 1 of 2)

Now we’re inside Archanea Palace, and we’re still in for a rough chapter. It’s not quite as obnoxious as Chapter 19, but this one is still pretty long, and there are a few spots where you can get pretty screwed if you don’t control reinforcements well. Almost everyone on this map hits really hard, so I kinda wish I had gone with General Catria again. Eh, win some, lose some.

Time for How’s Everyone to start us off, because some things never change.

holy poo poo what a good portrait

I have no idea who that is.

Here’s the crew for this one. Sirius out, Julian in. Otherwise normal. I hopped into the Drill Grounds to spend some cash we got in the Arena last time around.

Pretty solid stuff. Let’s start the map.

Oh hey it’s that other character from the last game. I think I’ve said some variation of this in every update so far?

: Surely you jest!! Can't you see you're destroying Archanea? You've gone mad! What have you done with Lady Nyna?! Return our queen at once!!

: Nyna? That woman betrayed me. All I wanted to do was destroy Grust. That woman had the audacity to give the emblem to that boy... And so I punished her. I will kill all who oppose me. That includes you, Midia!!

please note that somehow wolf heard this guy talk and said “yeah there’s nothing wrong with Hardin”. What I mean to say is that Wolf is loving stupid and I hate him and his dumb guard.

: Do with my life as you will. But, Hardin... How many people do you think you've killed out of petty jealousy? Enough. Open your eyes!

“Oh poo poo never mind close them again.”

: Petty jealousy, you say...? Heh heh... Say what you will.

The Darksphere has turned him into a true JRPG villain.

: What worth is left in it? Perhaps it would be better if it were all destroyed. Well, Midia, watch carefully. The boy who pretends to be a prince... Watch as I snuff out his life!!

So, Midia spawns in on this map between those two Generals we saw next to Hardin in the last update. She can’t get out and she’s unarmed, so she’s pretty much fu-

Oh never mind.

Dammit Malicia.

So here’s Midia. Once you cross a certain point in this map Hardin’s goons will become hostile to her, like Est in Chapter 15. Unlike with Est, I don’t think you can save her without the Rescue staff.

Midia is...bad. She’s not Wolfguard bad, but she’s another prepromote Paladin the game just kinda tosses at you. She gets at least one chapter of forced use though, and she doesn’t get doubled by the generics, so she’s better than Vyland.

(yes the rest of the lp will be me being really salty about the Wolfguard)

Pretty much no reason to not just storm this entrance hall immediately.

I loaded Midia up with stuff, since she was next to Marth, so she might as well get some use.

Ogma here is going to demonstrate the Pure Sword for us.

This Thief runs away immediately. I like that he’s an Archanean unit, so canonically, this is one of Hardin’s men, who has been positioned just to run around in this entrance hall while those two burly dudes watch him. Truly he is the darkest of emperors.

Sorry, thief. It’s better this way.

With that level, hell yeah it is.

So before going any further, I marked the ranges of the two Swarm Bishops here. I should note that these Heroes don’t move, they’re pretty dedicated to that hallway.

Just kinda sidling along the range here…

Barst’s low Resistance makes him a desirable Swarm target.

Sheema’s starting to hit for respectable numbers with Parthia. One of these days, she will be worth it. Eventually.

Oh hey the Swordslayer gets some screentime.

gently caress Snipers.

I took two screenshots so you can appreciate how much I hate snipers. This was in no way me getting delirious from the sheer amount of FE12 I have injected over the past year.

Finally, B Rank. Steve can use Silvers now.

Mercurius dunks this man very quickly.

Julian has to awkwardly dawdle back there because I am terrified of Swarm.

See?

I have my reasons!

This guy hits hard for a General.

Casual dodge.

Barst has capped pretty much everything he’s likely to, I know, but this still makes me a little sad.

This though, this I’m fine with.

Now that all those guys are disposed of, I should probably keep Minerva from horrible bug-death.

Luke harasses this man with Javelins through a wall.

There’s a safe spot I can tuck Steve away in here.

Seems the healing turned out a little unnecessary.

I still appreciate it though, because gently caress these bugs.

Get used to Fortify, because this map is about 50% Fortify.

Magic, still one of Barst’s few credible enemies.

This Sniper tried to go for Malicia. It was a poor decision.

No more magic in this mage corner!

ESPECIALLY NOT BUG MAGIC.

Are there mages in here?

Out of my way!

Finally, the Swarm Bishops are down. Two of them.

The Casual Lean makes you immune to lightning as well, little known fact.

The Wizard Slaughter is going nicely. This is a Fortify guy, but I’ve never seen him cast it. The other one always does. This is good, because:

Free fresh Fortify staff. Malicia is gonna enjoy this.

Need to patch Steve up a bit.

Oh hey, as soon as you step out of that room? Reinforcements. Meet the Paladin Patrol. Get used to them.

The sole remaining Sage futilely attempts to defy Barst.

The Sniper fares a little better against Sheema.

mo’ like fartify

And they start moving. I’m sure that’s not a surprise.

Deploy the emergency chokepoint!

Parthia might be overkill here. But my stance on Snipers has been made clear, so this was definitely not a mistake.

I can appreciate all those green numbers.

Everyone else kinda meanders around this room for the next few turns.

Except Barst, of course. He will never meander when he could be crittin’ fools. A turn after the reinforcements trigger, Hardin decides to scream across the map.

: Altea's so-called Prince of Light has certainly fallen to the gutters.

: Please, you have to snap out of it!

: Heh heh heh... Marth, sweet and naive as ever.

Get ready for a villain rant, which I have captured all in screenshots for your viewing pleasure.

(I had missed Smug Marth.)

For what it’s worth, “IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ORB!” is a pretty great line.

: Hardin... Is that really how it was...? I had no idea that... that you hated me so...

: Hmph... That's why you're still just a boy. Marth!

And Hardin opens the gates to the southwest section of the map. He’d also have his guys kill Midia here, but welp.

In Shadow Dragon this area had a miniboss in it. What’s here this time?

oh good these guys.

More Paladins. Two of them seem to have entered the map backwards. Thousands of Archanean Tax Dollars were spent on this stunt.

Also a diverse group of reinforcements, a Hero, Sniper, Warrior, and Sage, show up.

They, along with the General, also rush us.

And yes, of course one of them is a Swarm Bishop. We will never be done with Swarm.

Okay, maybe we shouldn’t be hanging out here.

FULL RETREAT.

Meanwhile, Julian has finally reached the loot.

A third pack of powerful paladins. It’s the last one. (there are no P words that mean final.)

The Paladins are starting to get pretty drat close now. Ogma’s gotta back off. It’s worth noting that, in every pack of Paladins, two have Silver Lances, two have Spears, so they can get you from a range.

Barst is indifferent about that, for now. Not even he can take too much of this.

Well, at least we’re close to the HP cap.

Steve’s also got to back up. It’s about now that I realize that I’m not going to be able to play passively against all 12 Paladins.

Time for FULL AGGRO.

Eh. Not the worst.

Swapping a Javelin out to Catria.

I can respect that.

A blank shot to show just how thoroughly owned this poor man is.

Endgame Level Ups!

FULL AGGRO is not without its costs in HP. Malicia prepares for the worst.

Alright, here we go.

A second group of the four reinforcements to the south pops in.

This guy takes advantage of me giving away Luke’s Javelin.

This guy suicides into Barst, I’ll call that a freebie.

This guy knows enough to keep his distance, though.

Alright, cutting it a little close here.

Thankfully the spearman is out of range of Barst, so Catria gets a crit in and finishes him before he can be a problem.

With some Lifesphere healing, Barst is up and ready to crit again.

...Getting there…

It’s a bit hard to see in this shot, but this was a crit.

One more down, and we’re almost finished with Paladin Power Hour. This is going to be a good place to break, because we’re about halfway done, and I want to keep this update at a decent size.

Next time, the “exciting” “conclusion”.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
This is a cool map. With all the poo poo flying everywhere, reinforcements from all sides, a random Earth Dragon and a villain monologue, it has the sweet fragrance of endgame.

LordHippoman posted:

Mar-Mar is Marth. Tar-Tar is Steve, your avatar. :3:

In Japanese, Tiki went all oniichan on Marth and MU, which Shadow Dragon translated as Mar-Mar for Marth. Since you can't really have the text generate a Ste-Ste or a Chr-Chr for the avatar, that's what the translation team went for here.
Still more creative than what they did in Awakening where Tiki calls Robin Mar-Mar. :geno:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ORB, MOM!

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

I will defend the dorkDawn brigade till the day I die! :black101:

Man, your comment got me to read up more on Fates (and decide I should finish my Awakening playthrough) but Fates looks stupidly complicated with the different versions and storylines. It's really turning me off.

Its not all that complicated really when it comes to the versions and story lines. Basically you can buy Birthright if you want the fairly standard fire emblem story(Defend your homeland)with an Awakening like play style with ways to get infinite gold and exp from free battles. Get conquest for a somewhat less standard fire emblem storyline(Rebellion as far as I gather while ATTACKING your homeland.) that plays like the previous fire emblems where you have a rigid mission structure, gold is limited and there are more varied mission objectives then kill everyone and capture point. If you get either of them you can buy the other at a reduced price like DLC*20 bucks I believe* and then there is a THIRD storyline that is only dlc and supposedly involves trying to find a middle path where you don't have to kill off one side or the other.

The more complicated thing is its version of reclassing which I'm still not sure I fully understand after reading it on a wiki. Even so I am looking forward to it though I figure Birthright is more my speed then Conquest which some people have said is more like Shadow Dragon and Blade of Light.....and I notably HATED Shadow Dragon when I played it. I'm certain this game would be better(There is no way after awakening and the shadow dragon remake they are making another game with ENTIRELY generic animations) and am liable to end up getting conquest eventually but just hearing people say that shoves me away from it somewhat.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

:allears: "Really? That's it?"

Chaeden posted:

Its not all that complicated really when it comes to the versions and story lines. Basically you can buy Birthright if you want the fairly standard fire emblem story(Defend your homeland)with an Awakening like play style with ways to get infinite gold and exp from free battles. Get conquest for a somewhat less standard fire emblem storyline(Rebellion as far as I gather while ATTACKING your homeland.) that plays like the previous fire emblems where you have a rigid mission structure, gold is limited and there are more varied mission objectives then kill everyone and capture point. If you get either of them you can buy the other at a reduced price like DLC*20 bucks I believe* and then there is a THIRD storyline that is only dlc and supposedly involves trying to find a middle path where you don't have to kill off one side or the other.

The more complicated thing is its version of reclassing which I'm still not sure I fully understand after reading it on a wiki. Even so I am looking forward to it though I figure Birthright is more my speed then Conquest which some people have said is more like Shadow Dragon and Blade of Light.....and I notably HATED Shadow Dragon when I played it. I'm certain this game would be better(There is no way after awakening and the shadow dragon remake they are making another game with ENTIRELY generic animations) and am liable to end up getting conquest eventually but just hearing people say that shoves me away from it somewhat.
It seems to me both games have things I want. :smith: This is pretty annoying to me. Sure I can buy the other, but that's just extra money I have to spend not to mention the third path.
I like the more varied missions, and while I like money I don't mind being scrounging like I had to do in SD and RD. :colbert: I'm also rather fond of the whole Japanese classes thing like ninjas and puppeteers. But for me that's in the wrong game.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
Well from what I can tell the game will be about 40 bucks. Then you get about 50% off the other when downloading it for 60. And Revelations the third story I wouldn't put it past them making it the same price as story 2 for a total of 80. This isn't going into special packages that might be released or the idea of just buying it digitally in the first place which I have no idea what the price will be if you do so. (I found somewhere someone saying that the digital version lets you make your choice in the story instead of it being pre-selected then downloads the rest of that story? Sounds odd and I can't be sure of the source so take it with a large pinch of salt.) But yes the flavor of the Hoshido one seems great with them replacing the standard weapons with equivalents and the MANY more unique classes they seem to have in their story. (Not to mention a return of Ballistas. And more specifically player controlled Balisticians. Now you too can be the rear end in a top hat who shoots people from across the map and you don't have weapon durability so you can do so FOREVER. But its dlc so they are putting a price on catharsis.....also male only for some reason despite pegasus knights being any gender now) Honestly really there are A LOT of changes. Ranging from cool to very very odd.

I will say it sounds like the one your looking for is the dlc story though that's supposed to be a middle ground between the two by having slightly more varied mission types, access to all of the unit types I believe..... But I believe it does allow the infinite grinding as well. So you COULD presumably get by with just conquest and revelations? But yeah this game is probably going to hurt some pocket books.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

She means she had a dream about Marth bathing in tartar sauce.

Dreams are funny that way.

quote:

please note that somehow wolf heard this guy talk and said “yeah there’s nothing wrong with Hardin”. What I mean to say is that Wolf is loving stupid and I hate him and his dumb guard.

Seems completely rational to me!

I... think it's possible to get to Midia before she gets killed, but it's been a while since I played, might be misremembering.

Miacis posted:

In Japanese, Tiki went all oniichan on Marth and MU

In my mind, I just tack on a :black101: at the end of that and it becomes so much better.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
We had a short debate over the merits of Mu-mu, Ava-Ava, brother, and then settled on Tar-Tar because it was really hard coming up with a good way to localize this based on a piece of variable text.

And to be fair to the awakening team the whole point of the conversation was tiki confusing the avatar for marf.

Writing the Hardin monologue was actually pretty fun because it's supposed to read as bombastic but also banal because his reasoning is really stupid haha. Hopefully that came across ok.

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 17, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hey LordHippoman I'm glad you added in info about where everyone got recruited but do you think you could change it or at least add info about what part means when?

I have no idea where chapter 11 is supposed to correspond to in parts, as it is now.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Miacis posted:

This is a cool map. With all the poo poo flying everywhere, reinforcements from all sides, a random Earth Dragon and a villain monologue, it has the sweet fragrance of endgame.

Mar-Mar is Marth. Tar-Tar is Steve, your avatar. :3:

Ohhhhh. Okay, yeah, that makes sense. Also yeah, this is a map that manages to be pretty tough and still not like, super frustrating. It's good.

alcharagia posted:

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ORB, MOM!

There's something about the word "Orb" that makes me laugh every time it comes up in this game. See Chapter 18 where the King goes "Oh gee Marth sorry I tried to kill you, here, take this peace offering, my red orb."

vilkacis posted:

Seems completely rational to me!

You know, Hardin does have way more of a :godwin: look without the turban.

SC Bracer posted:

We had a short debate over the merits of Mu-mu, Ava-Ava, brother, and then settled on Tar-Tar because it was really hard coming up with a good way to localize this based on a piece of variable text.

And to be fair to the awakening team the whole point of the conversation was tiki confusing the avatar for marf.

Writing the Hardin monologue was actually pretty fun because it's supposed to read as bombastic but also banal because his reasoning is really stupid haha. Hopefully that came across ok.

The Hardin monologue is really good because he's using all the Villain Keywords and being super threatening, but his whole thing is "man I'm really jealous of this 20 year old kid getting to hold the orb-holder, and my wife doesn't like me, gently caress this". I really enjoy it.

RareAcumen posted:

Hey LordHippoman I'm glad you added in info about where everyone got recruited but do you think you could change it or at least add info about what part means when?

I have no idea where chapter 11 is supposed to correspond to in parts, as it is now.

Yeah, I'll take care of that before I post this second half of the update. That got a little out of whack with all the prologues and BS chapters and Gaiden chapters...

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 37: Going Hardin The Paint (Battle Part 2 of 2)

Alright, finishing this off with style: immediate screenshots of healing.

Time to take a little from Hardin’s own bag of tricks.

Meanwhile, Ogma and Steve scoot over to the southern exit of this room to get ready for the incoming reinforcements.

One group left.

Much better, Luke!

I’m letting them come to me now. FULL AGGRO kinda ran out of steam when I realized that about half our crew can’t take more than 2 hits.

Cutting it close…

Okay, now I move the rest in to finish them off. Minerva and Sheema team up on this one.

And Midia and Marth deal with the final Paladin. That was the hardest part of the map.

Coulda used some Strength.

Alright, time for the rest of these guys.

Ready for round 2?

I’m not, I need to Fortify!

Okay, now I am.

So is Ogma, holy poo poo. This Hero gets here before everyone else. It doesn’t serve him well.

goddammit ogma

I will break this Mend Staff if I have to use it on Hardin himself.

Ranged weapons? What a dick.

Refer to previous statement.

The Warrior decides to go for Merric instead. Poor choice.

Finally, a good level here.

Now Julian can begin the thievery. Good way to kick this off.

Yes. The good levels are returning!

This Sage is remarkable composed for Mercurius being inches from his face.

Whoa, did Steve IMPALE that man? Goddamn, Steve.

Don’t look so pleased with yourself.

You know, the urine colored crit filter looks better in motion, I promise. Not much better, but...better.

YES, HE DID IT. That was, what, 4 straight levels of only HP?

One more of these. I got a full free Staff, I reserve the right to immediately waste it and then regret it later.

Oh, by the way, Fortify doesn’t heal the wielder. Merric’s got to handle that.

And that’s the end of the reinforcements.

Well…aside from that one Sage. But he’s in the Dragon Attack zone, so I’m not going to bother with him yet.

Merric’s Mending Spree comes to an end.

But not without its benefits!

We will remember you, brave staff.

No, I said brave STAFF. (In case I haven’t already said it, Brave weapons hit twice as often as normal. So, if you’d double, you’d get 4 hits instead.)

I didn’t mean to use the Wyrmslayer here, but I mean, it works.

Okay, Dragon time. Barst, can you handle pulling that guy over?

Huh. He’s not as...dangerous as I remembered.

Fortify Man!

Even Sheema gets a shot in on the big lug.

But Minerva (and her much smaller dragon/wyvern/whatever) get the last hit.

Minerva’s having some trouble keeping up, but this is pretty good.

If you still need to promote someone you’re using in Chapter 20, I’m not sure why you’re using them. This is at least like, 1250 free gold.

Starting to edge our way into the last part of the map here.

Time to deal with all these ranged Hardin bodyguards.

So I wanted to point out that this guy is a little special. That tome he has, Glower, is special. If you’ve played other FE games, you might be familiar with this as Luna. Its gimmick is that it ignores all Resistance.

Malicia one-shots him anyway though so, hey, good job Glower. Also this guy isn’t Archanean, he’s a “Heretic”. I’m guessing that just means he’s one of Gharnef’s followers.

Catria just jams herself in a doorway and chugs an Energy Drink, the tanking strategy of champions.

More bugs.

Well, thanks for coming to me.

Catria will not even allow this Hero to be on the screen.

I screenshot every Fortify because I’m a horrible person.

Barst continues his senseless destruction of all these minions.

I do love the way Aura looks.

Cutting our way through the rest of these guys.

The last guy just tries to feed himself to Barst.

Well, at least it wasn’t an empty level.

Last one.

Minerva finally puts an end to Fortify Guy.

But not SWARM GUY.

Now that the minions are gone, Julian can loot the chests closest to Hardin. An Again staff is always welcome.

I don’t want to use Barst here, because he’s already almost at the level cap.

Steve can handle it, though.

This should be handy.

I gave Julian a break and let Marth grab this one.

So, I’ve got Merric using the Defence staff here. It’s time for the final showdown.

I know I said Barst was our best chance here, but, you know, as much as I love Barst, he doesn’t really make for a climactic hero. Sometimes you have to go with the theatrical option. So, Prince Marth…

GET THE gently caress OUTTA THE WAY, IT’S ORB LORD STEVE.

Dark Emperor Hardin

Befitting of a final boss, Hardin gets his own music.

So, first thing I learned here, Hardin doesn’t count as an armored unit, despite him basically just being a souped up General. Steve takes a pretty hard hit here.

She does decide to Crit though.

Mid-Boss level up.

The Lifesphere helps keep Steve patched up.

But after hitting Hardin again, I need to have Malicia lend a hand.

Hardin can heal himself, thanks to the throne, but Steve can outlast him.

And with one last crit, the Dark Emperor goes down.

Fade out to white here.

Oh, hey, you’re looking nice and un-mind controlled!

Unfortunately, though

It’s too late for Hardin :smith:

Uh, hopefully you’ll accept Steve?

Goodbye, Hardin.

wait one sec

Now, goodbye, Hardin :(

Gradivus is the best Lance in the game, no surprise there. Also probably the best Regalia, because it has range.

steve you probably shouldn’t touch that.

Although it is...pretty handy.

Wait what’s the bottom screen doing

Oh yeah, we were carrying that around.

Nice!

Oh, now all the orbs are gone. Sorry. Imagine the entire contents of Steve’s inventory just flying out of her hands and across the palace, into Marth’s shield.

:toot:

HOLD UP

So, this is possibly the end of Fire Emblem 12. Hardin is one of two possible final bosses. The bad ending is pretty much the same as the good ending, but with a few minor changes at the end to reflect that you didn’t stop the true threat, so I’m saving that for when we get it. To get the good ending, you have to have the Binding Shield complete, which means all five Orbs. To review:

Starsphere: Gift from Gotoh if you collected all 12 Starshards.
Lightsphere: Gift from Gotoh, unmissable.
Geosphere: On a Thief in Chapter 16.
Lifesphere: Visit the Village in Chapter 18.
Darksphere: Defeat Hardin, unmissable.

If you have collected all of these, you’ll get the shield, and you’re on track for the good ending. Here we go.

: Yes, and with this, finally...

: Sire! Look over there! Your sister and the others...

Wow, that was easier than I expected.

: Elice! And Princess Nyna...! Lena, Maria; you're all safe!

: Ngh!

Isn’t this a little too handy?

The Binding Shield thinks so.

Hey, those aren’t Bishops!

That tricky rear end in a top hat! Pretending to be your sister.

: That man was the Dark Pontifex Gharnef! His servants were impersonating the princesses.

: What was he playing at? He mentioned something about the Shadow Dragon's return... So as we suspected, my sister and the other clerics must be in Gharnef's hands...

Yeah, if you don’t get the Binding Shield, Marth just goes with it and totally believes that’s Nyna, Elice and company. Meaning that, yes, he presumably lives with a dark priest impersonating his sister for the rest of his life. That’s some dedication to your dark dragon god.

: Forgive my interruption, sire, but Lord Gotoh has arrived.

: Lord Gotoh? Take me straight to him!

Actually, he’s just going to come to you. Probably feels bad about chapters 11-14.

: Thanks to your efforts, the lost Binding Shield is finally complete.

: Incredible! It felt as though the shield itself pulled in all the orbs... So this is the fabled Binding Shield. But what now, Lord Gotoh? From Gharnef's actions, it would seem he has the noble clerics imprisoned. I worry for their safety.

: Hmm... I understand how you feel... However, we have a far greater task to accomplish--we must seal away the earth dragons. Soon they will awaken from their slumber.

Well, that’s not good. Hardin already had one of them here.

: Go, Marth. Entomb the awakened dragons once more!

So yeah, we’ve still got poo poo to deal with. There are 4-5 more chapters of game! This is one of the longer FE’s. I imagine the whole twist with Hardin not being the true final boss was harder to see coming in the original, because you don’t get those scenes with Eremiah plotting and such, because she didn’t exist. So all you heard about the Clerics/Gharnef came from Boah at the end of Chapter 19. Speaking of that, if you completed this map in 28 Turns (on Hard, it’s different on each difficulty) OR have recruited and kept alive three out of Roshea, Vyland, Sedgar, Wolf, and Midia, the scene goes on here and you unlock the final Gaiden chapter.

: As you may have guessed, they were dispatched by Hardin and Gharnef. The head of the organization is a woman named Eremiah.

: Eremiah... And where is she now?

: Here, in Archanea. Apparently, she runs an orphanage in the mountains.

: An orphanage?

: Yes, so it would seem. However, it's an orphanage in name only. She confines the children to a basement devoid of light, and teaches them all manner of wicked things....

Well, that’s pretty hosed up.

: I understand, Steve. I, too, cannot allow a situation like this to carry on.

: Katarina? Were you listening the whole time?

Again, we can only fit 2 portraits.

: There's a hidden passage to where Lady Eremiah is... I'll show you the way.

: ……

Suspicious? That’s not like you, Marth.

: Please, allow me to go. I'll be fine. I don't believe for a moment that this will atone for everything I've done... But while I live I want to help in any way that I can.

And so ends Chapter 20, and we’re into the final parts of FE12. Before we go and stop Gharnef though, it’s time for a little detour into a survival horror level.

Next time:
Update 38: Lady Eremiah

Oh, and here’s the Binding Shield. It does, at least, keep the Starsphere bonus, but all our other orbs are gone, and it’s locked to Marth.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Fun fact about the shield: Marth just instabanishes the Earth Dragon with it if you kill Hardin over the wall/with a warped unit and get the shield early, since this is a seize chapter, after all.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I think the game actually can continue to 20x even if you get the Bad Ending, funny enough.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

theshim posted:

Fun fact about the shield: Marth just instabanishes the Earth Dragon with it if you kill Hardin over the wall/with a warped unit and get the shield early, since this is a seize chapter, after all.

I was wondering if that worked.

alcharagia posted:

I think the game actually can continue to 20x even if you get the Bad Ending, funny enough.

Huh. Are you sure? All the sites I can find list having the Binding Shield as a requirement for getting 20x.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Open your eyes Gotoh! It's not mysterious if you're there in the flesh. :argh:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Didn't kill Hardin with Turban, voting 1 :colbert:

Pretty sad that they didn't even bother to make a new portrait for him in the end, just recolouring the eyes... Could have done with a less scowly one once he's sane. Bah.

Also, binding shield is kinda crap. They could have given it something extra for having all those balls in it. Hell, it's the closest Marth gets to a promotion bonus.

LordHippoman posted:

So I wanted to point out that this guy is a little special. That tome he has, Glower, is special. If you’ve played other FE games, you might be familiar with this as Luna. Its gimmick is that it ignores all Resistance.

So basically it just hits as hard as every other tome in FE12 :v:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

vilkacis posted:

So basically it just hits as hard as every other tome in FE12 :v:

It nullifies Ward's resistance bonuses? I dunno, I guess they weren't thinking about it. Luna makes sense because you can get a few copies and it's pretty nasty to deal with thanks to the crit bonus, but Glower is enemy only and two classes have more than 3 base Resistance promoted. And one of those needs a special promotion item.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 38: Lady Eremiah (Prep)

And we’re back. Hardin is dead, and Archanea is no longer at war. Sadly there’s a crazy cult running around trying to resurrect the final boss from the last game. So our work is far from done. First off, let’s finish the game’s final gaiden chapter and put a stop to those obnoxious assassins. Lets raid us an orphanage.

: It's pitch black. Visiblity's practically non-existent... We'll be in trouble if we have to fight.

: The organization's children were raised in darkness... They have no heart or will of their own. They only move their limbs when ordered, like puppets...

This part of the game is actually pretty drat dark. Eremiah has basically been torturing and brainwashing children down here, and those are the enemies we’ve been fighting in the bonus chapters, it’s not pleasant.

: Katarina…

: I'm... not like them anymore. Steve... I want to be of use to you. That feeling is mine and mine alone. Not just some order! But my own truest desire... My treasure. Let's go, Steve.

If Katarina is dead, Steve instead somehow knows where the secret entrance is, and Marth gets a few lines instead.

Here we go. This is going to be a quick update because there’s not even really a point in looking at the map. This is FE12’s second and final Fog Of War map. Thankfully, they do show you where Eremiah is (That top left corner).

Planned team here. No Barst or Catria because they’re close to the level cap and I want to let some other people catch up. This is a quick one. It’s fitting to take Katarina here...but this is a bad map to be a squishy character on. She does have some special dialogue, but I’ll be transcribing it anyway.

Also Steve’s inventory is empty because we lost all the orbs.

Glad I caught that.

(This is really bad, I show it later)

Here’s Cecille’s Sword, it’s pretty terrible for this late in the game. Decent if you’ve just class swapped someone to a Sword class and their rank is awful, but for now? Ditch it.

We still haven’t seen my favorite named item and I’m going to be so sad if we never get it.

Sheema Resigns

: If anybody gets wind of this, I'll...!

: Ah, Lady Sheema!

: Gah, Dame Steve! What are you doing here!?

: Huh!? What... am I doing here? This is the lounge.

I love that our first priority upon infiltrating the torture orphanage is to ESTABLISH THE LOUNGE.
: A-ah, right.

: Oh, that reminds me. Lady Sheema. I believe you dropped this. It's such a cute doll.

: ......AHH!!! Why, why is it with you...?!

: You dropped it when we talked earlier.

: Ohh... My greatest blunder…

No, that was...the entirety of Chapter 17.

: Huh You’re...exxagerating.

: You must be disappointed, no? That the princess of a kingdom would possess such a hobby…

: Well, I'm a little surprised perhaps, but not disappointed…

: ...This is a memento of my late mother. Since I'm faint of heart, I secretly carry this inside my armor... It's highly unbecoming of a princess.

: I see.

: Yes... if the people were to know this, I'd never be able to show my face as the princess of Gra again.

And she was never seen again.

: What, wait! Lady Sheema!?

We’ve already covered Steve’s Cooking Adventure in a bonus support update, I won’t show the whole thing again.

wrys

: Oh, Sir Wrys.

: Thank you kindly for saving me from that predicament the other day.

wrys that was like a year ago

: Don't mention it, I'm the one always getting myself wounded... I'm sorry for the trouble.

: It's no trouble at all. Your daily growth always enthralls me, Dame Steve.

: T-thank you. You're making me a little embarrassed…

: Hoho, looking at you brings back memories of the children at the monastery in Altea.

: There's a monastery in Altea...?

Well, I mean, there are a ton of Bishops, gotta put them somewhere.

: Yes, I built a small monastery after the last war. There are many delightful children there.

Wrys is pretty much reverse-Eremiah.

: Oh my gosh! That's wonderful…

: The children there grow stronger with every passing day, living in harmony with nature. Just like you, Dame Steve.

: That’s very kind of you.

: Yes, even your naughty sides are akin…

WRYS KNOWS YOUR SINS, STEVE

: Eh? Pardon, Sir Wrys?

: Oh, do excuse me.

All will be judged by his blinding forehead.

Jagen in an Orphanage

: They are Hardin's and Gharnef's underlings. These assassins have targeted Prince Marth time and time again, so we cannot let them be. I'm sure you know this without me telling, but... We'll settle our score with these assassins here and now.

Thanks for the pep talk.

Selling the Bullion from last map and all our remaining Master Seals made me quite a bit of money. I immediately blew some of it on our struggling characters.

Sheema’s speed issue is starting to get alleviated a bit.

Sadly, Sirius will never outdo Luke or Steve. That’s a solid level, though.

Next time, the fog of war returns, and the puppetmistress becomes the...uh...puppeted? I guess? Something along those lines.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Sheema is looking pretty decent now, shame that she's now pretty fragile thanks to class swapping.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
You should bring Wrys to the next battle, they can use his head as a reflector and light up the area. It's also fitting for him to visit a mirrored monastery.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

Wrys is pretty much reverse-Eremiah.

I think the proper term is anti-Eremiah.

Speaking of, do not let them interact.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

vilkacis posted:

I think the proper term is anti-Eremiah.

Speaking of, do not let them interact.

Wrys's Wyrsness outWryses Eremiah's Eremiahness

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Fair point, please disregard my previous post.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

"I am Wrys, a hero. I might have time for healing...if I'm not giving my enemies a proper burial."

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

"I am Wrys, a hero. I might have time for healing...if I'm not giving my enemies a proper burial."

Okay does anyone know the story behind this? Because I saw this a few weeks ago, and it's an official thing from the Fire Emblem Card Game in Japan, but I could not figure out...why. Was someone at Nintendo really just like "I want to draw a cool zombie Wrys with an axe" and they were like "YEAH MAN DO IT."? Because that is amazing.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Okay does anyone know the story behind this? Because I saw this a few weeks ago, and it's an official thing from the Fire Emblem Card Game in Japan, but I could not figure out...why. Was someone at Nintendo really just like "I want to draw a cool zombie Wrys with an axe" and they were like "YEAH MAN DO IT."? Because that is amazing.
I believe that's supposed to be Wrys (as a Hero) holding a Devil Axe, the infamous weapon that can backfire and kill you if the RNG feels like it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

LordHippoman posted:

Wrys has the power.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 38: Lady Eremiah (Battle)

I hope you’re all ready for some low visibility! Like the other Gaiden chapters, this one is gimmicky. The gimmick is narrow corridors and fog of war, in combination with long ranged units. Despite that amount of annoying poo poo firing at you, this map is pretty quick and fairly easy, especially compared to the last two chapters, and it’s mostly just plot stuff. There are a few nice treasures to pick up though.

We should check up on Everyone before we do anything, though.

Keep this in mind for a little bit.

Let’s take on Eremiah.

She doesn’t say this line if you kill Katarina, naturally.

: But, I bet you didn't know this: There are many puppets here far superior to you, my dear. Come, my sweet little children. The bad men have come. Darkness is our friend. What our enemies cannot see, we can. Let them experience... the feeling of pure terror.

And so it begins. If you don’t remember the gimmicks to fog of war in this game from Kleine’s map, here’s a refresher:

-Your sight range is 2 squares
-Thieves do not get additional view range.
-If you run into an enemy on your path, you stop dead in your tracks.

Moving Luke there revealed these two Berserkers.

Oh, and here’s what I wanted to point out earlier, since Ogma has capped speed, he doesn’t get the bonus from How’s Everyone.

Anyway, one Assassin down.

These Berserkers aren’t really a threat. There are other enemies that fill that role.

Just slowly making our way forward.

What? Where is that?

The gently caress?

Where are these guys?

Alright, so this is the gimmick. The Longbow. This map has several snipers running around with Longbows. Longbows can attack from 3 squares away, which means you cannot counter attack them. They’ll hide behind the walls and take potshots at you, so the trick is trying to keep away from the walls. The problem with these enemies is that this map is so narrow, it’s sometimes impossible to avoid them. Do not bring fliers without Iote’s.

Luke scouts ahead.

Or not.

Out of the way, please.

Steve’s progress is also stymied.

Want to try and keep everyone fairly high HP here, because it’s dangerous with all the hidden Snipers.

I didn’t show all the Longbow attacks, because this is pretty much what they all look like.

Here’s one of those assholes!

I almost forgot to bring the Armorslayer to this map. That would have been a pain.

Another sniper chose to reveal himself. It was a poor decision.

dammit merric

And Marth finishes another Sniper off. Don’t worry...there are more.

This is the only Longbow you can get in the game, IIRC. I’m sure there are a few spots where this could be handy.

As usual, Malica is on medical watch.

Some more scouting.

Oh poo poo, where’s Eremiah? Wasn’t she supposed to be in the top left?

oh no

: It seems I have no choice but to show them how it's properly done.

Here’s the other gimmick. Eremiah uses long range tomes on you.

Steve is an expert at dodging Meteors, though.

Ouch.

Another Zerker from the darkness.

Really solid level for Steve here.

Malicia almost at the level cap.

Luke ran by the wall and revealed this last guy.

Ogma’s using the Pure Sword again, in case Eremiah sets her sights on him.

Or Marth. Marth is a bit more dangerous.

Ah poo poo. Generals out of nowhere.

loving. Longbows.

holy poo poo that was so close. Behold the lucky dodge for this map. Wouldn’t have needed it if Ogma hadn’t crit the first general to death and opened the space for the second...but eh.

Okay, time to get the hell out of here.

Keeping everyone topped off.

Another copy of Merric’s signature spell. This is nice, because we blew most of Excalibur on those drat wyverns.

I do not miss the wyverns. I am glad they are gone.

And dead.

Forever. No more of them. none.

One more of these guys.

Oh hey, she hit with that.

This tricky bastard snuck out from behind Marth. Good thing I healed Malicia up.

rear end in a top hat.

Now then…

Here she is. Not much to look at statwise, but she’s a schemer, not a direct fighter. She does have a Thoron if you get too close, but I don’t plan on letting her use it.

Oh, here’s her special dialogue for Katarina:

: Lady Eremiah...

: Oh my, if it isn't the broken puppet. I wonder... should I call you ungrateful trash or traitorous trash? But I must say, it's very brave of you to show your face in front of me again, Eine.

: Meeting you again... crushes my heart. I'd rather die, frankly... But, if I can be of use to Steve, then I will not run away!

: A junk puppet talking like a human being? The only word you're ever allowed to say is "yes". I'll make sure that mouth of yours starts working properly right away.

She’s still a jerk. Surprise.

Anyway, there’s only one proper way to finish off the evil wizard.

ONE MAG

Yeah, she’s a bit of a pushover.

...goddammit steve. Fitting for the holy blade, ONE MAG’s last hurrah, though. It has one use left, so it can be preserved for museums.

Still not done yet though...there’s one chest left!

More of these guys.

No match for the Nav.

I’ll take that level. Almost 30 Speed, hot drat.

Marth finished him off for another great level.

These guys are just kinda annoying now.

A General blocks the way, so I brought Luke in because neither of these guys have ranged weapons.

Also another Longbow man.

Fancy flips gently caress fletchers.

And the Rapier deals with the last General.

So I wanted to point out that I don’t think you can kill the last enemy on this map without some trickery. There’s a longbow guy in this area, if you could lure him next to the wall, outside of a corner, you could probably pick him off? Not really worth it though, he doesn’t have anything. We’ve taken out enough brainwashed children.

The last reward is another Aura. Malicia is pretty set for endgame.

:toot:

: The assassins shall target you no longer.

: I see. Thank you.

: According to the villagers nearby…

Time for Jagen to exposit over the villain’s corpse.

: So she was yet another victim of the war? That does not erase her sins, but... 'tis truly a tragedy.

: However, at the very least there won't be more victims like Katarina.

: Indeed. That's my only comfort. Let us go, Steve! There are still things we must do.

: Yes, sire.

hey are you ready to feel real bad

time for that.

: ...So you failed in the end... ...Eremiah.

: Forgive... me... For not... fulfilling your order.

: Oh, you don't need to apologize. The ritual to revive the Shadow Dragon shall soon begin. You and your underlings were useful enough, for capturing the clerics.

Oh boy here we go.

: What? A spell... on me...?

: Once upon a time, you felt grief. The corpses of the orphans killed in the war haunted your very existence. You wondered what you could have done so that they might have survived...

: I... never wanted... to let those children die...

: And then, I told you. You had to make the children stronger. Twisted, yes, but they became stronger so they wouldn't die, just as you wanted. Well? Have you remembered now?

: That's right, I... I made those children...

: Heh heh... Hypocrites like you and Marth disgust me. Despairing over the orphans' deaths, you fell all too easily under my spell. And then you gathered children, subjecting them to hellish training, just as I told you to.

: This world will soon be enveloped in the darkest despair…

So, to recap:

Eremiah was an orphanage owner who took care of children. During some of the events of the last war, her orphanage burned down and all the children died. While she was grieving, Gharnef used his mind control power to break her weakened mind and turn her into his servant. He convinced her she could save the children if she made them strong by torturing them and brainwashing them. She gathered a bunch of kids and did that, turning them into assassins, like Roro, Kleine, and Katarina. Now, as she’s dying from injuries inflicted by Marth and co., Gharnef shows up and reminds her of all this. She dies, realizing what she’s done, and screaming.

Brought to you by Nintendo!

Next time, something personally painful.

Update 39: Return of the Wyverns

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 24, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Well that got pretty dark right there.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.
Having recently finished this game, I wanted to share my Matthis, who turned out... surprisingly good. I think he had the fifth most kills on my team in the end, and being a sniper, most of those came on the player phase.

To diminish the stink, I'll also share Sheema because :allears:

Does Puppets Don't Cry play during that final cutscene with Eremiah? I don't remember, and it seems rather fitting.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Also Steve was just loving spiting you with that level

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
At least it's very effective in showing you that Gharneff is not good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013