Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

Let no EXP go unwasted!

I do not think this means what you think it means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

biosterous posted:

I do not think this means what you think it means.

Derp. Sorry, I was tired at the time. Corrected. :downs:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Merry Christmas, thread!

Smug Marth Claus and Steve the Red Nosed Mage wish you happy holidays.

Starbridge64
Jun 5, 2013
Oh that's lovely, I wish you the same as well Lord Hippo!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wait.

Marth is desecrating graves just to save a few G on Christmas gifts?

Wow. Can't say I expected it of him. Now, Rody...

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

chiasaur11 posted:

Wait.

Marth is desecrating graves just to save a few G on Christmas gifts?

Wow. Can't say I expected it of him. Now, Rody...

Plot Marth vs. Ruthless opportunist rear end in a top hat player Marth.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Update 13: Old And Senile (Prep)

It's time for another adventure with Marth and the gang. Today, actually helping our old friend instead of being distracted by a nearby fort.

3 people. 0 eyeballs.

Narrator: A century ago, the dragonkin rulers sent many slaves to these wild forests, to excavate ruins and build a country. Many slaves were forced to work to their limits, barely fed, and then slaughtered. A young man stood up against such tragic conditions. Iote was his name. He and his companions fled to the forests and fought, astride wyverns, to free the slaves. After Dolhr's demise, the slaves established their own country in these now abundant lands.
And the hero Iote was chosen as their first king. And so was born the Kingdom of Macedon, later feared as the domain of dracoknights.
However, the mighty Macedon was stripped of Prince Michalis, said to be the second coming of Iote, and is now on the brink of losing Princess Minerva, the so-called "Crimson Dragoon."

Here's some backstory that actually explains one of the series' recurring items, Iote's Shield. Michalis had it in the last game.

Steve? The gently caress are...

That seems counterproductive.

: A strong offense and a tough defense are obviously important, but... You cannot afford to neglect your skill. Without the skill to deliver it, it matters not how mighty your attack is if it does not reach the enemy. Speaking of which...

Another one of those sections that varies depending on MU's stats. I really like these.

Eh, mages. Not the best.

: Yes, Sir Jagen!

Well, let's get to the ol' prep screen. First things first, we got Linde last time...

Little underwhelming at first. (4 mag.) But she has good growths, and can use the female only Tomes, Aura and Nosferatu. Speaking of Aura...

It's drat good. And Linde can use it early. But we have Steve...so eh.

Here's my setup for this map. I'd like to bring Gordin too, since this map is chock full of Dracoknights, but I already have two bow users, so it should be ok.

Give that stick to Mallesia, Marth! You can't use the healing stick.

Time to check How's Everyone. I got 5 scenes this time, for whatever reason.

Marth's deforestation effort is going well.

:unsmith:

Stop giving me things for Cecille :(

Ooh. It's a weaker version of the Brave Lance, it hits twice as many times. It's not bad, so I might toss it on someone.

Time for some base conversations.

Drama.

"I mean, the kid's a huge fuckup. Don't tell him, but jeez."

Jagen understatements: "Rude." "Drama."

gently caress Mathis

This is good advice, there are thieves on this map who can ruin villages.

It's Fire Emblem, that's gotta be a hell of a big orphanage.

"There was also a bandit named "Hymen". Cain kept giggling."

He really talked like this.

"He sucks."

"It makes me feel like kicking a puppy."

HINT HINT

Next time, the map begins, and we're introduced to two obnoxious mechanics!

Ballistae!

Starshards!

Join us next time for Marth being ruined by a bridge.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Please tell me you're not going to do what I think you're going to do. It's actually fairly easy to recruit Matthis as long as you DON'T LOWER THE GODDAMN BRIDGE. And really, the only Starshard that's a real pain in the rear end is fuckin' Scorpio.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'd just like to point out that Cord chopping trees for the hell of it was much more effective than Luke's super secret training(tm). It's strangely amusing to me since it fits with the characterization they gave Luke with the prequel chapters.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

And so begins the worst map in the game. Wouldn't be a fraction as bad if you could rescue units like in the GBA games.

One thing I like to do for this map is put Cecilia on a pegasus so she can help Catria on missions.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Ah this map is where they prove that they're willing to keep the 'legacy' of their past horrible ideas.

Seriously, this map is just horrifically designed on so many counts.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

FoolyCharged posted:

I'd just like to point out that Cord chopping trees for the hell of it was much more effective than Luke's super secret training(tm). It's strangely amusing to me since it fits with the characterization they gave Luke with the prequel chapters.

Poor Luke. I suppose at least the game won't kick him so much now that we're out of the prologue.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Glazius posted:

Poor Luke. I suppose at least the game won't kick him so much now that we're out of the prologue.

Yeah it'll just largely forget he exists FIre Emblem style... which is actually worse.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

Please tell me you're not going to do what I think you're going to do. It's actually fairly easy to recruit Matthis as long as you DON'T LOWER THE GODDAMN BRIDGE. And really, the only Starshard that's a real pain in the rear end is fuckin' Scorpio.

I'm not going to do the thing, no worries.

But yeah this map is long and dumb and it's a good thing the Gaiden requirements are simple.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

LordHippoman posted:

I'm not going to do the thing, no worries.

But yeah this map is long and dumb and it's a good thing the Gaiden requirements are simple.

And in fairness, we're about to meet a surprisingly good character who was so bluntly foreshadowed I kinda feel silly not using his name.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

LP curse strikes again. My laptop is in the shop for repairs...again. So there might be a slight delay. But hey, this time I'm just getting a virus removed, so they shouldn't have to wipe the hard drive, and just in case, I copied the ROM and all the save states to online storage. Not gonna risk it again.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

[Mini-Update] Weapon Stats- A.K.A.: Definitely Not A Bump

So, I realized I never really explained these in any real detail, so I figured I'd do an update about Weapons.

FE12 features 6 types of weapons, not counting Staves. Swords, Lances, Axes, Tomes, Bows, and a rarely used 6th that we haven't encountered yet Dragonstones.

All weapon types but Staves and the 6th can be forged to increase 3 basic stats, Might, which decides the damage dealt by the weapon, Hit, which decides the weapon's chance to hit, and Crit, which is added to the chance that the weapon will score a critical hit.

Unforgeable Stats include Range, which decides from how many tiles away the weapon can be used, and Uses, which is how many times the weapon can be used.

Weight is not a factor in this game, nor in the game after it (Awakening).

One of the most famous features of the FE combat system is the Weapon Triangle. It's a Rock-Paper-Scissors system that determines bonus stats in weapon matchups. Swords beat Axes, Axes beat Lances, Lances beat Swords. Bows, Tomes, and the 6th Weapon are unaffected. The winning weapon in the matchup receives a boost to Might (Swords), Hit Rate (Axes), or a little of both (Lances), scaling with the Rank of the Weapon. Speaking of that...

Weapon Ranks range from E to A. There are no S ranks in FE12. Generally, it goes this way (For most weapons, Tomes are really varied):

E: Iron
D: Steel
C: Various Utility Weapons (Hammers, etc.)
B: Silver, Brave
A: Legendary

Your Weapon Rank rises as you use that weapon type. The difference between weapons is pretty drastic. The Frying Pan, for example, has a Might of 1, where the Hauteclere (Legendary Axe) has a whopping 20 Might added to the wielder's strength.

Lastly, we have Exclusive Weapons. Certain characters have exclusive weapons only they can use, but these are pretty far and few between. Off the top of my head, Marth and Caeda have them, and Linde and Merric have weapons they can use early. You've seen Linde's, Aura, and Merric's is Excalibur. There are also a few weapons that can only be used by certain genders, like the Lady Sword, Aura, or Excalibur.

That's about all there is with weapons for now. Thanks for reading through this, if you aren't asleep.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 14, 2015

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Actually, the way weapon rank interacts with the weapon triangle is that each weapon type gains a scaling bonus at ranks C-A (swords gain power, axes gain accuracy, and lances gain both, such that all three have equal net stats at A Rank). This bonus is negated when facing a weapon with triangle advantage, but not when facing a triangle-neutral weapon.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

Actually, the way weapon rank interacts with the weapon triangle is that each weapon type gains a scaling bonus at ranks C-A (swords gain power, axes gain accuracy, and lances gain both, such that all three have equal net stats at A Rank). This bonus is negated when facing a weapon with triangle advantage, but not when facing a triangle-neutral weapon.

The weapon triangle bonus and penalty scales with rank, too. An E or D rank sword user against an axe user will negate opposing rank bonuses, gain 5 hit and reduce opponents accuracy by 5. A C or B increases that to +10/-10 and A rank adds +1/-1 damage on top of that.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

Whoops, I worded that pretty badly. I'll revise it later.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I am in fact, not dead. My laptop just ceased to function again. There may have been an incident with a cat and an open bottle of Sprite that some would consider "hilarious", were it not their laptop that required two weeks of repair, in which case it was just "kinda funny".

Anyway I'm reinstalling poo poo and I'll update again soon, maybe changing the pace of this LP from "glacial" to "Snail". Thanks.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I just hope it was your cat and not some random ninja cat invading your home.

Looking forward to the update. Didn't Blastinus somewhat recently LP this game as well?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Nah, Tenacrane did both FE11 and 12, but he didn't archive either of them because reasons?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Torrannor posted:

I just hope it was your cat and not some random ninja cat invading your home.

Looking forward to the update. Didn't Blastinus somewhat recently LP this game as well?

It was my cat. She's over on the chair next to me. Looking smug.

And Tenacrane did LP this and the prequel, like Artix said, but I figure with a game like Fire Emblem, there's a pretty varied amount of ways you can play it, so I don't mind being late to the party or whatever.

I realized while I was taking the screens for Chapter 3 earlier that there are a lot of ways to do FE anyway, from meticulously detailed to sort of "Basic Strategy, here we go", and I think it depends on the chapter as well, because holy poo poo, is Chapter 3 boring with some super unclear parts to boot. I did not remember it being this bad.

(Then again I've never played FE12 above Normal difficulty before :shh:)

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
The thing about LPing a SRPG is that it makes all of the short, boring levels a lot more obvious to everyone, because you don't blow through them and then forget they exist, and you can't exactly go "aaaand Chapter 3 is boring, so here's Chapter 4!"

(Unless you pretend you did Chapter 3 before your computer issues but, tragically, only backed up your game save and you inexplicably only have one, so here's an MS paint of chapter 3!)

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Einander posted:

The thing about LPing a SRPG is that it makes all of the short, boring levels a lot more obvious to everyone, because you don't blow through them and then forget they exist, and you can't exactly go "aaaand Chapter 3 is boring, so here's Chapter 4!"

(Unless you pretend you did Chapter 3 before your computer issues but, tragically, only backed up your game save and you inexplicably only have one, so here's an MS paint of chapter 3!)

Funny you should mention that.

Chapter 3 (Battle): Old And Senile

Real update is coming soon once I get some time when I'm not getting settled in for classes, but this ought to provide the basics.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Well actually several people care that Matthis is there, he makes their lives harder.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Keldulas posted:

Well actually several people care that Matthis is there, he makes their lives harder.

It's seriously not that hard to recruit Matthis. Just pull the other scrubs near him up with some convenient bait (Bord, Cord, or a horseman is ideal), then pull Matthis using someone with full health and stats that aren't sufficient to one-round the guy (to IS's credit, this is actually most of your team in most cases), and then have Julian recruit and move the injured dorks out of ballista range just to be safe. The ballista has basically no chance of screwing you over, it doesn't do that much damage, and that's assuming it manages to hit for once. Hard Mode and up, might be a bit of a challenge, but if you're playing on Normal, Matthis is no more tricky than Jeorge.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 13 (Battle): Old And Senile

Welcome back. Last time, Marth and pals ventured to Macedon to save Minerva and defeat the villainous General Rucke and his rebel army. Then my laptop hosed up again and it was a pain in the rear end. Anyway, here's the actual battle.

But first, How's Everyone is fully reloaded due to the break. Let's see what we get.

This might come in handy later.

This is nice, but pretty worthless for Malicia. So I'll give it to someone else. The elixir restores all of a unit's health, like a superpowered Vulnerary.

Want this. Want this a lot.

We all wonder about Steve.

Despite the...creepy subtext, this just means that we're closer to getting our first Base Conversation with Warren.

Ryan isn't the only character who can use Ryan's Bow, but I want to put it on him.

And I'm giving Draug the elixir, since he's usually tanking hits. Honestly this would probably be better on somebody with more HP and less Defense, but eh.

As soon as the map starts, we see this scene.

: We're going to join their ranks to help save Princess Minerva. Please take Lena and escape to safety, quickly!

As you might have guessed, this is Catria's sister, Palla.

And here's Julian, in the flesh. He doesn't seem to keep his...odd speech pattern.

: What? Lena as well... Princess Maria is missing too, why is it only clerics?

Wrys seemed fine last time we saw him. Score one for CURATES.

: Anyway, I'm staying in the village to see if I can't find any information. Sorry, Palla. Give my best to Prince Marth.

And the aforementioned village is right over here. Hint hint.

As soon as the map starts I am marking this guy's position. This is a Ballistician. gently caress these guys. That arrowspate has pretty low accuracy and damage, but makes up for it by counting as a bow weapon, giving it autocrits against fliers, and being impossible to reach right now due to the giant river in the middle of the map.

Problem number 2 is these bastards. Behold, 6 Dracoknights, just waiting. These highly manuverable, flying, promoted enemies get a sadistic sense of joy out of flying into your units to head directly for Malicia or Steve or someone else made of tissue paper. Luckily we won't have to contend with them for a while. Also luckily, we have a bow wielding vunderkind named Ryan.

This map also gives us Palla, who is on the northeast part of the map near the village Julian entered in the intro. Lots of enemies spawn up here. Luckily, Palla kicks rear end. She is considered by a lot of people to be the best unit in the game, combining ridiculous mobility, speed, and natural B rank in lances without horribly awful growths like Arran. She, in fact, almost outclasses him immediately. I'll have her deal with some of the enemies up here. She will not have much trouble.

Pictured: Potential destroyer of Julian's village. Actual food for Palla's bloodrage.

Meanwhile, our main forces are stuck in the bottom right corner of the map. Reason #3 this map is horrible is that we'll need to go all the way around in a spiral to reach the boss. Of course, there's another option...but it's not a good idea, and I'll go over why later.

I'm going to be slowly advancing everybody around the spiral of eternal boredom. Marth is sitting in Arrowspate range because I'm honestly not super worried about him.

It misses :smuggo:

I switched Palla to the Iron Lance to conserve uses on the Silver one. She still has no trouble.

To ease some of the dullness of this map, I had Arran chat up the houses he ran by.

This is interesting advice, because the armory is...

There. Right next to all the rebel forces. And this dork. We'll get to that.

Enemies will start spawning from these forts. Just cavaliers, nothing too serious, so Palla will be fine with proper fort and vulnerary use.

If she can...move in the right direction.

Here's the first village of the map, and a potential solution to some of our problems...

Random Woman: Normally it's separated by the river, but if you use this key here, you can cross the bridge. Just, once you cross the drawbridge, the enemies on the other side will come and attack you at once. If you want to advance safely, you might be better off taking the long detour that goes right around the mountain. Here, take the key. No matter which path you take, do take care of yourself, m'kay?

So, here's the deal with this map. We can use this key to open that drawbridge and run straight for the boss and castle, but that would cause all those Dracoknights to descend upon us. Plus, that skips 2 villages with recruitable characters in them, and makes it much more difficult to recruit Matthis, since we don't even have the character who can do it yet. So while this might be the best choice in a speedrun of the game or something like that, I'm going to ignore it existing entirely.

I move Palla to the fort and pop a Vulnerary to keep her alive against the continually spawning Cavalier horde.

At the end of Turn 3, another Dracoknight shows up. But he's heading straight for...the boss?

:aaa:

He lives!

There aren't many alternate portraits in this game, but Michalis' smug look here is one of them.

oh and blah blah merely a setback meme joke there I did it

: Hand Minerva over to me, Rucke. I no longer have plans for this country. Do with it as you please. However, I won't rest until I've disposed of "him" with my own hands.

: Do you want me to shove this spear down your throat? I said bring her to me.

Jesus, Rucke. You're kind of a lovely rebel leader.

: It's been a while, Minerva. That ungainly appearance doesn't suit you. Losing Maria; your subordinates abandoning you... Is this the ideal country you dreamed of?

Here's another rare altered portrait. Minerva's beaten up look here only shows for this scene, so it's a pretty nice touch. Well, detail wise. The implications are pretty horrifying. :ohdear:

Michalis and his sister fly off, and we go back to...this. I'll be honest, I'm not showing much of what the main team is doing, because it is, quite literally, slowly moving clockwise. No enemies. Just walking. But hey, there are some houses for Arran to visit!

Huh. That's...interesting. I'm sure that will never matter.

I have nothing else to say about this, really.

Yep...they're...still coming.

Yup

Ooh, I switched to the Silver Lance! Vote the thread 5!

Pretty awful level by Palla standards, but those are both good stats.

HOLY poo poo A CRIT, GOLDMINE

There's something interesting here at least. (for a given value of interesting)

Bord! He already has more lines than in the entirety of the previous game.

: We Talysian mercenaries wanted to join you's army, so we came all the way here. Princess Caeda's our lady, and the guy who's gonna be her man is important to us too. Prince Marth, I'll protect you with my life.

Bord is pretty unremarkable. Not bad, but not great. That starting level isn't doing him any favors, and a speed growth of 30% means he'll be eating lots of doubles. His 100% HP growth, however, means he'll be able to take them. Not a bad unit, but not great. I'll use him if people have Bord Fever...for whatever reason.

BACK TO THIS

So here I have Luke ready to pull the dracoknights. Finally, action!

...they didn't take it.

How about...

Nope.

ATTACK ME

gently caress. Well, apparently, these enemies don't try to rush you. I'd have to send a flier up after them. Most people reclass Arran for this chapter to do this, but I...forgot. Welp!

Back to the clockwise walking. And a house. Take it away, Arran.

More hints to a future character, and a bunch of clockwise walking I didn't bother posting. So here's-

:supaburn: OH gently caress HERE THEY COME

Thankfully, Luke does not give a drat.

Meh.

LET 'ER RIP

Slightly less metal a level up, but not awful.

Cleaning up the Dracoknights is a pretty simple affair once they're all pulled to a good location...away from our poor squishy healer/mage.

Not too bad. Luck growth from Warren? Nice.

The last village of the chapter has a predictable recruit.

: Julian? I'd heard that you'd gone to Macedon with Lena, but to think we'd cross paths here... How is Lena? Of course, she's with you, right?

I hope so, she's a drat good cleric.

: Well, er, how should I say this... Lena suddenly up and vanished... I... I don't know what to do.

: Wait, Julian, tell me what happened, in detail.

: Lena's been missing since last night. The villagers speak of some sort of strange priest prowling around lately. It seems that somehow, Lena was taken by this man.

...wrys i swear to god if you're trying to build a cleric army or some poo poo.

: A priest...? Julian, as it turns out, Princess Maria has gone missing as well. I have a terrible feeling about this. Anyway, staying here won't solve anything. Come with us. I'm worried for Lena too. We'll all help to look for her.

: Prince Marth... Thank you. Nothing would please me more.

Julian is a pretty unique character. He has low strength, and isn't very durable, but his speed and evasion helps him quite a bit. He's not really meant for combat, though. Julian has the ability to open locked doors and chests. He's a good utility character. He cannot be promoted, though, and only goes up to level 30. There's one other thief in the game, but he's not much different.

Healing up Warren a bit.

The pulling begins.

That cleans up the Dracoknights I can pull from here, now for something more...obnoxious.

Here's Matthis. We need to recruit him. Because I am OCD about recruiting everyone. He is sitting in the midst of 3 other cavaliers, a ballista, and some Dracoknights off to the east. And I have to recruit him with Julian. Joy of joys.

Oh, and the cavaliers don't come for us when we come in range. There's a certain threshold you need to pass to pull them. It is both arbitrary and obnoxious. I'm healing up Arran to help pull people.

drat, Malicia! That's almost a perfect level! And Strength is never going to be relevant for you so...drat, that's a perfect level.

And we're starting...now.

Dodge.

Dodged again.

And here comes the cavalry. Literally.

Draug again takes just about zero damage.

:argh: MATTHIS :argh: shows up with a Javelin to toss at Julian.

For....four damage. Holy poo poo, Matthis. Really?

Time for the counter attack.

Oh, hey Steve. Glad to see you doing something again.

Draug pops out of the way to let Marth through, and I pop Julian out of the way as well.

It did not take long for the Rapier to deal with that guy.

Malicia tops off Julian so he doesn't get shredded by the Ballista. I also had Arran finish off one of the cavaliers. I missed the screencap.

Luke deals with the last noname cavalier, leaving only...

:argh: MATTHIS :argh:

And that's the best level one could expect from...Matthis exp.

Steve makes room, and I can get the recruitment over with.

: No way, I won't hand my cute lil' sister to a thieving rat like you.

Not only does Matthis suck, he's quite possibly...uh...incestuous.

: You can relax... Lena and I would never work out. But even if it's just a little, I wanted to help her in any way I could.

: Ooh, you finally realized where you stand. Attaboy, Julian!

Hey, guess how this works out.

: Er, that's not the kind of thing I want to be hearing from you... Well, whatever. If you're worried about Lena, then come with me.

: Oh, alright, thanks. You see, they forced me to join the rebel army, but you know I hate fighting. Alright, lil' brother. Let's join forces and look for our cute lil' Lena!

Oh...good.

Matthis is bad. Horrible base stats aside from defense, pretty decent growths, but in a sea of great mounted units, Matthis is the Caspian. A sea nobody talks or cares about.

Finally, I can be done with that drat catapult making me paranoid as hell.

I will take that level any day.

Oh, I accidentally put Marth in Javelin range.

Not a huge deal.

Steve hasn't seen a good fight in quite a while. Let's fix that.

Sweet dodges!

Firey murder!

:ohdear:

Holy poo poo Malicia, AGAIN? Missing Def this time but...drat.

And so ends Rucke.

With lovely last words and a...disturbingly veiny head.

All I see is no Mag. R.I.P. Steve's hopes and dreams.

Rucke had this on him. I will be explaining this later, but suffice to say it is important.

:toot: :toot:

: What could have happened? She was supposed to be held inside the castle...

And everyone's favorite douche shows up for the ending of the chapter. I have been looking forward to this. This whole lovely chapter. It was worth it for what is coming up.

: We'll take care of Macedon from here. Now, let us discuss your next mission.

: General Lang, what in the world do you want this time?

: Well, you see... My castle was attacked and the Grustian prince and princess were kidnapped. The perpetrator fled to Macedon, it seems. Prince Marth, you are to capture him and return the children to me!

Oh, hey. That actually wasn't us. Also, perpetrator? It was one guy?

: You're asking me to send those children to their doom!

: You're in no position to defy me. Now, off to work you go, my prince.

Lang, ladies and gentlemen.

Steve reminisces on her corpse counting days as she prepares for murder.

: What did you say?! Know your place, Altean soldier! Marth, it seems that your countrymen are devoid of manners!

: But it is as Steve says! I will follow your orders no longer.

(Music changes to this track here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpKrpTjdWPY&list=PL09DA3267151ABB1F&index=31)

: Sire...!

: What! Do you mean to defy my orders?! I see... I see. As I suspected, it was YOUR doing. The person who kidnapped Grust's prince and princess was the mercenary, Ogma. On your orders, no less!

Oh, Ogma. That makes the one person theory much more valid.

: I didn't know of this. But if I had the choice, I would have done exactly as you suggested. Back at Grust, even though they were meant to be our enemies, I should have helped those children.

: You! You clearly speak words of treason! Perhaps I should report this to the Emperor!

: Do as you will. But you're not the only person who intends to visit the palace. I will speak to Emperor Hardin and Princess Nyna and inform them of your crimes. Forgive me, Jagen. But I cannot stand for this any longer.

It is time.

: I understand. You have endured well until now. Lang, my liege might forgive your frequent rudeness to him, but I will not.

Jagen time.

:black101: STEP UP TO THE PLATE, MOTHERFUCKER

: Once the Emperor gets wind of this, I'll crush your puny little Altea!

Lang runs for the hills. :haw:

Jagen smiled! :gonk:

: Bwahaha... I'm not about to let youngsters like Steve hog all the glory just yet. Still, I'll admit it was somewhat foolish to contest with Lang, even if he did push my lord at every turn.

You could take him. :colbert:

: Sire, Sir Jagen. What is our next plan of action?

: According to Lang, Ogma is on his way to Macedon. He probably intends to visit the village where Lord Wendell resides.

Pope time.

: Lord Wendell?

: Lord Wendell is a pontifex of Khadein; he fought as our ally in the last war. I hear he's living in Macedon now. It also happens that the children that Ogma saved were raised by Lord Wendell. So I'm sure it would be the perfect time to pay him a visit.

: Yes, understood!

: But, I worry about Lang...I pray that nothing bad shall happen...

Normally, this is where the screen fades out and Chapter 4 begins. However, if you're playing the remake, and you either completed Chapter 3 in 28 turns (on hard mode) or had 1 or less allies die in the prologue...

: Ah! I assume, since you're mentioning it, that you've found a new lead?

: We're not certain, but we've received information that might lead us to them. A few days ago, I heard of a suspicious group heading towards Macedon's northern mountains.

: The northern mountains? What could they be after up there?

: Rumors say they are pursuing our former allies in the War of Shadows... And I don't believe they're after a friendly chat with them either.

: I see. Then we cannot ignore this lead, especially if lives are at stake. Jagen, Steve, we shall pursue the enemy.

: Agreed, let us prepare to march, with haste!

You unlock a special side chapter! These are totally optional, but help continue the plot threads started in the prologue with Katarina and her assassins.

So, next time, an old friend, an old enemy, and mountains in..

Update 14: The Bald And The Beautiful: Wrysvengeance

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

EclecticTastes posted:

It's seriously not that hard to recruit Matthis. Just pull the other scrubs near him up with some convenient bait (Bord, Cord, or a horseman is ideal), then pull Matthis using someone with full health and stats that aren't sufficient to one-round the guy (to IS's credit, this is actually most of your team in most cases), and then have Julian recruit and move the injured dorks out of ballista range just to be safe. The ballista has basically no chance of screwing you over, it doesn't do that much damage, and that's assuming it manages to hit for once. Hard Mode and up, might be a bit of a challenge, but if you're playing on Normal, Matthis is no more tricky than Jeorge.

It's not that it's tricky to recruit Matthis, it's that if they want to do it, they have to do the stupid exterior spiral around the edge. If you're saying 'gently caress Matthis', you can just go punch through the center over the bridge and murder him. Having to do at least 10 extra turns of pointless movement can indeed be seen as more effort. Hell I'd done a lunatic run where I've actually went through the center and just trapped Matthis in a corner with archers while I ran past. However, that's still more annoying than just killing him or being able to recruit him without having to run around the perimeter like an idiot.

TLDR: It's not hard to recruit Matthis, it's tedious and not doing so cuts the map's duration in like half.

Edit: On the actual update, you didn't actually manage to provoke those dracoknights at all? Pity, that's a bunch of lost exp. I remember doing so without plain and simply running up and stabbing them, but I don't quite remember the method. Might be a quirk of playing on a higher difficulty or something. Granted, the way those dracoknights act is completely contrary to good game design because the player can't predict when they'd attack and due to being promoted flying units they completely outdistance anything you can reasonably do at this point.

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 18, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Aw yes, Queen Shitwrecker Malicia is in the house :getin:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I am disappointed we did not get Jagen vs. Lang. It would have been very satisfying as a last hurrah for the archetype originator.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

LordHippoman posted:

Julian is a pretty unique character. He has low strength, and isn't very durable, but his speed and evasion helps him quite a bit. He's not really meant for combat, though. Julian has the ability to open locked doors and chests. He's a good utility character. He cannot be promoted, though, and only goes up to level 30. There's one other thief in the game, but he's not much different.
Well that's news to me, I always treat Julian like a somewhat squishy frontliner. He's not exceptional in combat, but I find he can hold his own pretty good, and that's all he really needs to do anyway. I usually give him an Arms Scroll to get him out of Iron Sword hell, because starting at E-rank Swords sucks.

quote:

drat, Malicia! That's almost a perfect level! And Strength is never going to be relevant for you so...drat, that's a perfect level.

Holy poo poo Malicia, AGAIN? Missing Def this time but...drat.
Malicia is telling you she wants to be a frontliner. Listen to what she is saying, and reclass her into a mage so that she may embrace her destiny!:black101:

quote:

Lang runs for the hills. :haw:
Hey Lang, get the gently caress out of those blue duds. You're an enemy now.:colbert:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 19, 2015

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Herein I have explained the operation of the sun.
I believe those Dracoknights on the mountain aggro when you use the Armory as suggested by the man in the house you visited. Otherwise I think you might be able to bait them if you're on the central island? I haven't played this chapter in a while so I don't quite remember.

Personally, I have Marth go around the long way while the main army stays back and pulls the Dracoknights over the water. It's pretty easy to take them on one at a time and you can feed Exp to your units as needed. The main force can then use the drawbridge to kill the cavaliers/ballista when Marth picks up Julian. Matthis loves his Javelin so it shouldn't be too hard to avoid killing him if you really care about recruiting him. He does basically no damage.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

The RNG tends to love Malicia, you'd never realize her Skill growth is so low if the numbers weren't right there in the game data. I can't recommend making her a Mage full-time, her biggest strength is that she can benefit from the resistance growth of a Cleric while having a magic growth on-par with the other top Mages in the game, plus that sixty percent speed growth is a godsend. I'd recommend switching her over to Mage at level 10 (except for maps where her exclusive staves are necessary). Also, Julian isn't quite a frontliner, but given his utility as a Thief and overall beastly growths, he makes a great skirmisher. Treat him like you would a Myrmidon/Swordmaster, and he'll do right by you.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Staticpulse posted:

I believe those Dracoknights on the mountain aggro when you use the Armory as suggested by the man in the house you visited. Otherwise I think you might be able to bait them if you're on the central island? I haven't played this chapter in a while so I don't quite remember.

Personally, I have Marth go around the long way while the main army stays back and pulls the Dracoknights over the water. It's pretty easy to take them on one at a time and you can feed Exp to your units as needed. The main force can then use the drawbridge to kill the cavaliers/ballista when Marth picks up Julian. Matthis loves his Javelin so it shouldn't be too hard to avoid killing him if you really care about recruiting him. He does basically no damage.

I went back and replayed the last bit, and you're right, visiting the armory causes those 4 Dracos to aggro onto you. I couldn't find any other way to pull them, aside from having Palla literally fly into their faces.

Also the more Malesia seems to be gaining great stats and Steve seems to be gaining others, I am sorely tempted to reclass Malesia and make her our main mage. Still have hope for Steve though. That Mag just needs to fix itself. I dunno, I could hold a poll in a chapter or two or something regarding that issue.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 19, 2015

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Fun bit about that armory that can help out on harder settings:
The simple act of visiting it period triggers the activation of the cavaliers and dracoknights. You don't need to buy anything, or more to the point keep the action. You can just have a cavalier or similar high movement unit run in, start shopping, cancel out of the shop and move back across the bridge causing the enemies to be funneled down that long bridge one by one. At least I remember it working that way, it's been a while since I've played this one.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

I went back and replayed the last bit, and you're right, visiting the armory causes those 4 Dracos to aggro onto you. I couldn't find any other way to pull them, aside from having Palla literally fly into their faces.

Also the more Malesia seems to be gaining great stats and Steve seems to be gaining others, I am sorely tempted to reclass Malesia and make her our main mage. Still have hope for Steve though. That Mag just needs to fix itself. I dunno, I could hold a poll in a chapter or two or something regarding that issue.

Frankly, MU just isn't really all that capable of being a magic character. A lot of MU's base stats are already predetermined, and are heavily skewed towards one of the on-foot combat classes (Swordmaster, Hero, Warrior, Berserker, or Sniper). Okay strength, good skill and speed, but no innate magic or resistance growth and poor defense means that trying to be a mounted or magic unit just won't work (and obviously General is out of the question). Making MU a Mage, especially in a game with Merric and Malicia (also I guess Linde to an extent) is just a bad idea. I recommend reclassing to Myrmidon immediately, thankfully the answers that boost Magic at chargen also boost Strength, so Steve won't have lost much in the interim.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Julian's Growths are very similar to Marth's growths. He has at least a 70% growth in everything but skill (60%) defense (40%) and magic/resistance (0%). He'll easily become a frontline unit if you let him gain a few levels. As posted earlier though, you just have to get him out of the E-rank weapon range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Julian's Growths are very similar to Marth's growths. He has at least a 70% growth in everything but skill (60%) defense (40%) and magic/resistance (0%). He'll easily become a frontline unit if you let him gain a few levels. As posted earlier though, you just have to get him out of the E-rank weapon range.

His caps kind of hamstring his frontline potential, especially in higher difficulties. His strength caps at a paltry twenty, and a skill cap of twenty-five means he won't ever be the kind of crit machine you can make real Swordmasters or the like into. Plus, without a Seraph Robe, his HP will always be way too low, much like most of the Pegasus Knights. Also he doesn't get promotion bonuses (he doesn't promote) and his level cap is 30, so that also limits his potential.

• Locked thread