Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

WrightOfWay posted:

Barst is so close to being really good. He's got passable bases and good growths but not having C axes really robs him of the opportunity to get 3 or 4 easy levels with a hammer on this and the next map to jump start his stats. His bases are just low enough that it takes quite a bit of work to use him on Lunatic.

I've heard that. I've never done a Lunatic playthrough myself, though.

Isn't everyone after Chapter 10 or so more or less statistically useless on that mode? I remember hearing that Ellerean is pretty much the last barely viable character you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

It always seemed to me in these games that unless the character was 1. a non-promoted class and 2. recruited before a specific chapter, then it was pointless to really use them as you would have to feed them too many kills to level them and make them a viable member of your team, and even then you have to hope the rng gods give you good levels.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang. That's some quality level for a first-timer.

And... Steve has capped speed. That makes sense.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Glazius posted:

Dang. That's some quality level for a first-timer.

And... Steve has capped speed. That makes sense.
Books were like Steve's weights. Without them he's fast than the eye can see.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

LordHippoman posted:

Isn't everyone after Chapter 10 or so more or less statistically useless on that mode? I remember hearing that Ellerean is pretty much the last barely viable character you get.

With judicious use of the Training Grounds, Minerva can still be viable, not that you have any choice in the matter if you want a perfect run. Additionally many late-joining characters show up with insane growth rates, so a few feeder levels can bring them up to "okay", but you should hope to never be in that situation.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

LordHippoman posted:

There are a few units that are at least useable with some work like Darros, Jake and Katarina and Xane and Nagi are good with zero effeort but for the most part units past 10 are more useful for the weapons they bring with them than the units themselves.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Those two cavs and the horseman that show up together and have one line of dialogue between them or something come to mind as particularly useless.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Darth TNT posted:

Books were like Steve's weights. Without them he's fast than the eye can see.

She.

I never get tired of seeing people get tripped up by that name. :allears:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

She.

I never get tired of seeing people get tripped up by that name. :allears:

I'm getting tired of being the only one who constantly trips up, this is like the fourth time.:downs:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Darth TNT posted:

I'm getting tired of being the only one who constantly trips up, this is like the fourth time.:downs:

I have to go back and check updates for it sometimes. I'll also admit to occasionally leaving a "Chris" in there from transcribing dialogue using Serenes' script, since that's the default name. I usually do a Find/Replace with "Chris" and "Steve" just in case, but the "he" sometimes sneaks in.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 17: Any Number Of Puns Involving The Word Lang

Alright, time to actually deal with Lang. This has been a long time coming, so the game doesn't want to gently caress around.

There's not even any dialogue before the chapter starts.

This map is a little different than any of the previous ones.

This building is full of locked items. Chests and doors. They can be unlocked by their corresponding keys, or with Julian/Rickard. Speaking of Rickard, he's the thief in that screenshot. Here's one nice thing about waiting to recruit Rickard, he's not taking up a deploy slot in the map with tons of locks.

Oh, see this guy? gently caress this guy. This is a Swarm Bishop. He's basically the magic equivalent of a balista.

Let's move onto How's Everyone.

(This is a good blink)

Fascinating. More words, incoming.

Steve makes the most sumptuous pastries (Malicia 2)

: He was just toying with me...

: Oh yes... I've heard the story. You told Sir Jagen you were going to marry Prince Marth and asked to meet him privately. It's no surprise you made Sir Jagen furious...

Furious Jagen would be a pretty good screen name.

: But, Prince Marth looked at me with such sparkling eyes. And even Granny was fooled, too... Ohh... Prince Marth played with my pure, innocent heart...

I haven't gotten to use this in way too long:

: What? No, that's not true. Stop making such outrageous claims. I can't let you spread strange rumors about my liege.

: But, it was my first love... Sniff, sniff.

: Don't cry... All right, come on. I'll buy you a pastry, so please stop crying.

Where are you going to find one in Lang's evil castle?

: Don't treat me like a kid. I'm a grownup! ...The pastry has to be sweet, got it?

: You do want it, don't you?

: I like sweet pie, like Granny used to make...

: All right. I'll do what I can. So cheer up, okay?

: Thanks Steve. You're on my side, aren't you?

: Huh?

: You're right. What matters now is how Prince Marth and I feel about each other! I won't give up just because that old sack of bones won't allow it. Thank you, Steve. I'll do my best!

: Oh dear, how do I fix this mess now?

Admittedly, that was a pretty good support.

His name is Guard backwards (Draug 1).

: Steve, how are things?

: Very well, sir.

: You don't need to be so formal with me. You're not an apprentice anymore. Here, we are both comrades protecting Prince Marth together.

Draug is pretty boring. So much so I didn't even have a portrait uploaded for him, despite him appearing first in...Prologue 6?

: Yes, thank you very much. But you're such a humble man, Sir Draug. Despite your strength and valor, you don't brag at all.

: Oh, I'm not that strong...

: No, Sir Draug, you are a hero. I wasn't wise to the details before, because I came from the countryside. But now that I'm traveling the lands and hearing stories about the previous war, I'm continually impressed. They speak of Sir Draug the hero, who repelled all of his foes with his impenetrable defense...

: Well, rumors are often exaggerated...

: Sir Draug, I'll do my best every day to get close to your level.

: Well, enthusiasm is good. Work hard, Steve.

Furious Jagen

: Therein lies Lang, oppressor of the people, the one who led General Lorenz to death, and kidnapper of the Grustian children... It's time for us to punish him for his sins. And then we shall return to Altea, and reclaim our homeland from Archanea.

:911:

The Sepia Swordsman

: About Prince Marth? Or about our next battle?

Steve's Marth obsession has reached the point where she seems to think she knows more about him than his fiancee. Or she just can't tell that's Caeda. No vision and all.

:ohdear:

Navarre (Nabarl if you live in one of those fancy Europe places) is a myrmidon from the first game. He was sort of the prototypical swordsmaster, fragile but with high critical rates and really good speed. If you're familiar with Guy, Joshua, Zihark, Lon'qu, etc., you know Navarre, really.

: Navarre... I've heard that name before. He's a remarkable swordsman, right?

: Yes. But Navarre was our ally in the last war, so I'm sure he'll understand if I talk to him.

Dick joke.

: S-So that's how you persuaded him?

: Hmm? Yes, why? Steve, if you happen to meet Navarre, let me talk to him... please.

I am...not sure why Steve is so bothered by that?

Preliminary lineup for this chapter.

So, I just realized we got Caeda at the end of Chapter 4, but I totally forgot to show her until right now. Here she is. Like I said way back in the third update, Caeda's not the goddess of death she was in Shadow Dragon, but that doesn't mean she's not good. The Wing Spear, her exclusive weapon, works just like Marth's Rapier, supereffective on horses and armored units.

I decided to do a little Drill Grounds grinding for two of our newest characters.

And, that's about all the lead up for this chapter. Next time, Nest of Evil.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
With Steven being female, does that mean Nabarl will ignore her if she is close?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Darth TNT posted:

With Steven being female, does that mean Nabarl will ignore her if she is close?

It'd be nice if this were the case, but Navarre is a giant hypocrite and will cut down even the daintiest lady. Case in point, his introduction in FE1/11 was him chasing down Lena for a group of bandits.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

SC Bracer posted:

It'd be nice if this were the case, but Navarre is a giant hypocrite and will cut down even the daintiest lady. Case in point, his introduction in FE1/11 was him chasing down Lena for a group of bandits.

was it a rousing game of sword-tag

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

Just assume that everyone in FE is criminally stupid and murderous until you recruit them. In the first game Mathis would stab his sister to death while whining about how he missed his sister. I was really surprised Barst and Rickard didn't do it in this one.

I can actually only think of two cases where units will not attack specific characters, both in FE10 (Big spoilers for Radiant Dawn) Dheginsea won't attack Kurthnaga, Oliver will recruit...himself if you get Rafiel close to him.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
There's also the infamous FE6 chapter where Klein's AI can have him shoot his underlings, his sister, or just not move at all, scuppering any plans you might have made.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

SC Bracer posted:

There's also the infamous FE6 chapter where Klein's AI can have him shoot his underlings, his sister, or just not move at all, scuppering any plans you might have made.

Last time I did that chapter he, for some reason, only shot at my clerics, including his sister.

Klein loving hates priests.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

LordHippoman posted:

Just assume that everyone in FE is criminally stupid and murderous until you recruit them. In the first game Mathis would stab his sister to death while whining about how he missed his sister. I was really surprised Barst and Rickard didn't do it in this one.

I can actually only think of two cases where units will not attack specific characters, both in FE10 (Big spoilers for Radiant Dawn) Dheginsea won't attack Kurthnaga, Oliver will recruit...himself if you get Rafiel close to him.

You're forgetting Zihark in Path of Radiance, he'll ignore your Laguz, the same units required to recruit him, making him the easiest variant of Navarre to recruit prior to Lon'qu being a plotline recruitment (though purists would claim that not having to recruit him from the enemy side disqualifies Lon-qu from Navarre clone status, though those same purists would insist on "Nabarl").

Additionally, familial or other especially close bonds will generally keep characters from fighting one another in Radiant Dawn (this only really happens during Chapter 3). The only specific example I can think of is Meg and Brom in Chapter 3-Final, where neither of them will attack the other under any circumstance, should they run into each other, but I'm sure there are at least a couple others.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I would argue recruitment counts as attacking from the player POV

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

You're forgetting Zihark in Path of Radiance, he'll ignore your Laguz, the same units required to recruit him, making him the easiest variant of Navarre to recruit prior to Lon'qu being a plotline recruitment (though purists would claim that not having to recruit him from the enemy side disqualifies Lon-qu from Navarre clone status, though those same purists would insist on "Nabarl").

Additionally, familial or other especially close bonds will generally keep characters from fighting one another in Radiant Dawn (this only really happens during Chapter 3). The only specific example I can think of is Meg and Brom in Chapter 3-Final, where neither of them will attack the other under any circumstance, should they run into each other, but I'm sure there are at least a couple others.

I also remember Zihark and Ilyana not attacking each other in the chapter they're on opposing sides. Don't quite remember if it requires that they had a support in PoR.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it happens with lots of characters on either side of the DB split. there's a big list here:

http://serenesforest.net/radiant-dawn/characters/non-attacking-units/

it's not just an AI thing too, you literally don't get the option if you're the player trying to do it, as i recall

the gist is that zihark and jill staying with the DB brigade was a hard sell

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

My first FE game was Radiant Dawn, so I always expect a lot from the other "better" FE's.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
In Blazing Blade, Lloyd won't attack Nino in Cog of Destiny (thought Linus will, if he's the boss). I think this is the only enemy to be scripted this way in the GBA series.

EDIT: Also that bearded guy in FE6, Douglas? He won't attack your Bard/Dancer.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Kajeesus posted:

In Blazing Blade, Lloyd won't attack Nino in Cog of Destiny (thought Linus will, if he's the boss). I think this is the only enemy to be scripted this way in the GBA series.

EDIT: Also that bearded guy in FE6, Douglas? He won't attack your Bard/Dancer.
Douglas won't attack Lalum ONLY if she manages to talk to him first. Otherwise, Lalum will be attacked by her own father with no hesitation. I believe Elphin is the same deal as well.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

In Nabarrle's defence though, have you seen the size of these map sprites?

It's probably safest not to make any assumptions before you see a mug or something. :v:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

vilkacis posted:

In Nabarrle's defence

Crap, now I have to start brainstorming nicknames for him.

Barlvarrenar
Navarles Barlkly
Varrebarl

i'm gonna call samto not-varre and nobody can stop me

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

LordHippoman posted:

: S-So that's how you persuaded him?

: Hmm? Yes, why? Steve, if you happen to meet Navarre, let me talk to him... please.

I am...not sure why Steve is so bothered by that?

Caeda just goes up to the deadly swordsman in their enemy's ranks and is like "JOIN OUR TEAM OR STAB ME NOW". Pretty sure Steve's justified in being surprised by that lack of self-preservation

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

booksnake posted:

Caeda just goes up to the deadly swordsman in their enemy's ranks and is like "JOIN OUR TEAM OR STAB ME NOW". Pretty sure Steve's justified in being surprised by that lack of self-preservation

She goes up to everyone and does that.

I even saw her try it on an empty suit of armor.

Bahumat
Oct 11, 2012
She tries it as a phantom in Awakening's DLC.

It fails SPECTACULARLY when she uses speaks to certain other characters in the franchise.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

Navarles Barlkly

If you can't merc with the best, then... go irk the rest? I dunno, I'm a b-baller, not a poet.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 11, 2015

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

vilkacis posted:

If you can't merc with the best, then... go irk the rest? I dunno, I'm a b-baller, not a poet.

You forgot the most important part.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

vilkacis posted:

Putting these in the OP. This thread was now entirely worth it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So bonus points for on-site thief, minus points for artillery clerics?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

vilkacis posted:

I'm voting this thread a five right now!

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Glazius posted:

So bonus points for on-site thief, minus points for artillery clerics?

Pretty much. It's also worth mentioning that if Rickard takes something from the chest and I recruit him afterwards, he'll still have it, it doesn't magically disappear or anything.

And luckily, Swarm, while annoying as hell, isn't nearly as bad as the Berserk Staves from some earlier entries in the series. Turning your own units against you in a game with permadeath was a good way to force a reset or lose a character because suddenly that warrior your bishop was healing wants to cleave him in two.

Also might not be able to update this week because all of a sudden my real life came back and reminded me I have incoming midterms.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 13, 2015

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

If you can't merc with the best, then you'd best shirk the quest.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

vilkacis posted:

You are a beautiful, beautiful man.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Porpoise. :colbert:

(Thanks.)

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Hi, I'm still swamped with midterms, so the next update isn't here yet, but in the meantime, I just wanted to share some of the majesty of the old portraits for FE1.

This is the portrait for Bord and Cord. They actually shared one.

Draug is rocking the "<_<" look.

Catria is very peeved at something off to the right.

Oh. It must be that...baby? Can you guess who this is? It's Arran, unrecognizable without his righteous cowlick

And I'll end this in as fitting a manner as I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Oh. It must be that...baby? Can you guess who this is? It's Arran, unrecognizable without his righteous cowlick
Amazingly he still has the same cross eyed squint.

• Locked thread