Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Oh my, those screenshots: :haw:

That he does.

quote:

As I shuffle the cards over to Beck, here's his stat screen. He's not great, with lovely bases like Jake, but not great growths like him. I'd pass on this guy, you just got Robert anyway.

Aw. Beck is a cool dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

EclecticTastes posted:

The game just heard us riffing about nineties music and made the text as hard to read as Nirvana and Pearl Jam's lyrics are to understand, to keep the theme.

Despite all efforts by my own incompetence, the thread is indeed Still Alive.

Last Celebration posted:

Pretty much all the New Mystery prepemotes after Minerva are king of bad, honestly. And even her bases could use some work considering what a level 20/4 Catria/Palla look like.

It's pretty hard for even the best units to compete with Catria/Palla. That said, yeah, Minerva is starting to show that she's a lot weaker than Catria, despite them being around the same level now.

theshim posted:

Don't think we didn't see that point of Magic you got, Steve :argh:

Oh, don't worry, I noticed. I was quietly mourning.

vilkacis posted:

Oh my, those screenshots: :haw:

Aw. Beck is a cool dude.

I think my favorite was this one:

:pwn: : help

And I really like Beck too, especially in the first game, I just mean his stats kinda suck. Personality wise he's a lot more fun than Robert.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wait, I thought the Fire Emblem was for keeping Tiki from going insane like all other dragons with dragonstones?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Torrannor posted:

Wait, I thought the Fire Emblem was for keeping Tiki from going insane like all other dragons with dragonstones?

It's dragons that don't have the stones that go insane. If you have the stone, you keep your mind, the ones who don't have them go feral like the enemies we've been fighting in these last few chapters. Since Tiki has a stone, she's fine.

Gotoh and Xane also have stones, although they don't ever use them, so they're okay too. Medeus had a stone, but he wasn't crazy, just an rear end in a top hat.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

theshim posted:

Don't think we didn't see that point of Magic you got, Steve :argh:

LordHippoman posted:

Oh, don't worry, I noticed. I was quietly mourning.
So what I'm getting is that you should have made Steve a Sword-user from the start and then reclassed her into a Sage.:v:

Oh, on that note:

LordHippoman posted:

Also reclassed Mallesia to Sage, as suggested.
This is why reclassing is cool. Malicia's starting with a C in tomes and B+ in staves (and now already maxed out at A).

Also Catria has as much resistance as Malicia had as a Bishop, as if Catria wasn't broken enough.
:stare:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

fade5 posted:

Also Catria has as much resistance as Malicia had as a Bishop, as if Catria wasn't broken enough.
:stare:

Seriously, Catria and to a lesser extent Palla are pretty much Orlandu from Final Fantasy Tactics, only you get them all game and the game pretty much expects you to use them constantly. I think the only way to screw them up might be to reclass them as clerics or something.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

Lotish posted:

Seriously, Catria and to a lesser extent Palla are pretty much Orlandu from Final Fantasy Tactics, only you get them all game and the game pretty much expects you to use them constantly. I think the only way to screw them up might be to reclass them as clerics or something.

Or not use them because they are overrated :colbert:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 28: Snowstorm Sniper (Prep)

Fire Emblem 12 is back with a bonus chapter. We'll hand over those precious Starshards to Gotoh soon, but before any of that, we have another assassin ambush to take care of.

: Steve, I think I can see somebody ahead. Is that...

: Ah! Sire, please stay behind me. I feel the presence of enemies. Several are currently targeting us.

Add Spider Sense to Steve's list of powers.

: What!? But, we can't see anything like this. How should we fight back?

: We've no choice but to directly engage the enemy. It will probably be a dangerous battle, unlike any we've faced previously.

: Indeed. We should select those who'll fight with prudence.

He's being very serious. This is another map with very limited deployment slots, so we'll need some suped up allies to make it out alive.

:black101: Zerker Time. Berserkers are locked to axes, but they're masters of crits and powerful hits. More of what you're used to from Barst.

Ogma is now a Hero! As you might remember from good old Astram (When are we going to run into him again?), Heroes wield Swords and Axes, and are generally just rather well rounded units. Let's hope Ogma does well here.

Now the thing about this map is that...uh...well, there's one enemy.

Where are...

All the...

Well, gently caress. It's a fog of war map.

Here's how Fog of War works in FE12. Units have a sight range of 2 squares around them. No torches, no bigger ranges on thieves, two and two alone. Running into an enemy makes you stop moving and ends your turn.

There are 11 enemies out there. No less than 3 of them are Arrowspate Ballistas, so this is a bad place to send your fliers. One of the very few in this game. Don't worry, they'll make up for it.

So, How's Everyone?

Maris ate so many Ice Dragons.

There's a reason Merric kicks your rear end.

Only one conversation today, it's good ol' Jagen.

: As Prince Marth said, if our allies are fighting, we cannot leave them to their fates. The battlefield is a blizzard. You won't be able to see far, so be careful.

Next time, another gimmick chapter, much like Roro's. Much less infuriating though.

Well, a little bit less. Easier to cheat at.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Huge loving shield out of nowhere!

... Though it does make some sense since the seals are shield-shaped. Barst's armour is a little harder to swallow.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 28: Snowstorm Sniper (Battle)

Welcome to the Fog Of War map. This is a quick one, only 11 enemies on a small map, but it's easy to get caught out here. If you don't know the map, that is. If you do, it's just a matter of weeding the enemies out one by one.

Also, since I forgot to mention it in Chapter 13, getting to this chapter either requires you to kill off the two thieves before they escape in Chapter 13 or finish it in under 24 turns.

Anyway, How's Everyone?

Buff Wendell is sadly not a hidden character.

That makes like, no sense.

Matthis don't ruin Steve with your horrible self.

Oh, and I noticed Luke's speed isn't as good as a lot of our other units on this map, so he gets one of these.

Well, into the breach! Time for lots of snow.

Oh, geez, haven't seen you in forever. 16 chapters, actually.

: Ah! I see. So you wanted to help me... Thank you, Athena. It's fine now; I'll handle the rest. We'll defeat the enemy!

"Thanks for jogging all the way across the continent, through a desert, a volcano, and a mountain to tell me I'd be in danger exactly right now, Athena! Bye!"

(She couldn't have, she's way out of range)

: Tsk! Oh well. As long as this blizzard carries on... This battle is mine. You can't see anything, can you? But we can. Now it's time for you to die, blind and blissfully ignorant.

And you very well might if you aren't careful here.

Oh god, Athena. Athena was absolutely broken in the prologue. Unfortunately, she has not gained a single level or point of stats since then. Broken 16 chapters ago translates to "ehhhh" now. Her access to Silver Swords right off the bat is nice, but coming in this late at level 10 and without great growth rates is sort of a death sentence. The game threw Navavba and Maris at you, and they're better.

I did use her to reveal the location of this Barbarian though! Our magic users burn him down along with the first Ballista. There are 3 Arrowspates here, and one Pachyderm, the big daddy of Ballistas. It's off in the bottom right corner though.

merric please start getting Magic, I'm worried about you.

Moving Marth into the northern forest reveals the second Ballista. By the way, there are a few rules for Fog of War that are pretty important.

1. Running into an enemy in Fog of War immediately ends your turn.
2. The fog is lifted when you pick "Wait", not right after you move, so Marth could not have hurt this guy on his turn.

Steve could though. And is that a Barbarian I spy?

That Speed Potion does its job well.

And now they move.

Potential ouch here. If two of these Ballista were to hit Malicia, she'd be dead. Luckily there is only one left in range, and she dodged anyway. Honestly, this is the easiest way to lose a character on this map.

Oh whoops I accidentally unequipped Barst. This Barb still misses though, so he is a double loser.

Steve is just striking poses for the fun of it as she murders the failure Barb.

Nice.

There you are, rear end in a top hat.

Might as well get Marth some EXP.

Luke is a bit more reliable. Now that all the relevant ballista are dealt with, it's time to find the real prize here.

It's in the chest. (Note that you also can't open chests with the Thief Staff through fog of war)

A surprise Myrmidon! I didn't remember this guy (He only appears on Hard and above). Thankfully, Barst is beefy as hell, and...I still forgot to reequip him.

Marth, you can have this one.

All aboard the bridge train! Luke goes south to regroup with the others.

The Pachyderm is firing at us from...somewhere.

Thank you for having a ton of health, Barst.

This was a bad decision on this Myrm's part.

Yes...

Yesssssss.

Michalis' old trinket from Shadow Dragon is ours for the taking now. A flying unit holding this doesn't take triple damage from bows/Excalibur/Shaver now.

Catria is now even more of an Empress of Death.

Steve finishes off the last Barbarian, and now there's not much left.

Luke goes into the forest to heal and...

oh hi there. You moved? She's supposed to be further east, but I guess triggering those enemies that came after Barst and Steve also set her to move. Sadly, it was not her best idea.

Kleine Battle Theme (Same as Roro's)

She never even got to fire a shot.

Only one thing left to do now.

Gah, rear end in a top hat.

I must have missed the screencap, he's in the very bottom right corner. Show's over, though.

Eh.

:toot:

: We have accomplished our objective. There is no need to remain here. Let us continue to the Ice Dragon Shrine.

: Indeed. The sooner we meet Lord Gotoh, the better. Let's go.

WELCOME TO THE EMOTION ZONE

(Don't read the comments, full of spoilers)

Oof. Being burned alive looks like it...slightly scuffs you with dirt.

: I'm... alone... once again...

: Kleine...

: E-Eine...! Why... are you here...? Don't tell me... You came here to laugh at pathetic old me?

: Come on, hold on to me. Let's return to the hideout, together.

: Wha...?

: You can't walk around wounded like this. And you'll freeze to death if you don't find shelter soon.

: Why...? Why would you... go so far to help me...! I've always treated... you like dirt and yet you...

: Because you're my little sister.

: ...Pfft. You know I'm not your sister. We're both orphans, remember...? We've always been alone...

: But, we were raised together by Lady Eremiah... I don't mind if you hate me. But, I don't want to lose you... If I were to lose this one bond... I'd be alone in the dark, again... And the same goes for you.

:unsmith:

: ...Eine...

: Please, hold onto me.

: B-bah... This will be the first and last time I'm gonna obey you, you hear me...?

: We will begin the next phase of our plan. Your wish is our command, Master Gharnef...

:ohdear:

You just can't keep a good Sorcerer down.

: Lady Eremiah...!

: Kleine failed, didn't she?

: Y-yes... She's severely wounded... We need to have her treated!

Sadly, you all know what's coming.

Eremiah is not a great mom.

: B-but, Lady Eremiah!

: She's of no use to me wounded like this. Just leave her and she'll die by herself.

: Kleine...

: Go away. I don't want... you to see me like this.

: ...Very well.

: Bah! You have to be annoying, till the end...

: ...Kleine...

Well. Not much to say after that. Only Katarina and Eremiah are left of the named assassins now, and it seems like Gharnef is calling the shots, because nobody died in Shadow Dragon I guess. Next time, finally, Gotoh.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.
Puppets Don't Cry is probably my favorite song in the Fire Emblem franchise. I'm a sucker for sad video game music.
Also, Athena is honestly pretty decent, even compared to Navarre, and her growths are much better than Maris, though Maris does come earlier.
Her biggest problem are her low bases and joining level, but if you can bring her up to speed she'll be pretty drat good.

My Athena is now a Falcoknight and she's pretty drat good.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

LordHippoman posted:

That makes like, no sense.

He's saying that it doesn't matter that he feels well, even if he felt like poo poo, he's still gotta go out there if he's chosen for deployment.

Also, this chapter epitomizes an attitude I found prevalent in the various gaiden chapters of this game, and many other segments of other games in the series, that they don't really expect the bad guys to actually win, they're just gonna kill one of your mans because they know you're gonna reset if they do. Fire Emblem is a lot easier in general if you allow people to just stay dead. Seriously, this chapter's enemies are too few and too weak to really pose a threat to your odds of victory, but you just know they're gonna magically find someone vulnerable and all strike at once. Unless, of course, you already know what's coming and how to respond.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

LifeofaGuardian posted:

Puppets Don't Cry is probably my favorite song in the Fire Emblem franchise. I'm a sucker for sad video game music.
Also, Athena is honestly pretty decent, even compared to Navarre, and her growths are much better than Maris, though Maris does come earlier.
Her biggest problem are her low bases and joining level, but if you can bring her up to speed she'll be pretty drat good.

My Athena is now a Falcoknight and she's pretty drat good.

Puppets Don't Cry is so good and I forgot it was in this part, I thought I'd have to wait a few more chapters to post it.

And I had always heard Athena was terrible, although I've never really tried her much myself. I guess I was having flashbacks to FE7 Wallace. There's just so many units in this game it's hard to fit everyone you want in. I'd like to use Sirius and Feena more, for example.

EclecticTastes posted:

He's saying that it doesn't matter that he feels well, even if he felt like poo poo, he's still gotta go out there if he's chosen for deployment.

Also, this chapter epitomizes an attitude I found prevalent in the various gaiden chapters of this game, and many other segments of other games in the series, that they don't really expect the bad guys to actually win, they're just gonna kill one of your mans because they know you're gonna reset if they do. Fire Emblem is a lot easier in general if you allow people to just stay dead. Seriously, this chapter's enemies are too few and too weak to really pose a threat to your odds of victory, but you just know they're gonna magically find someone vulnerable and all strike at once. Unless, of course, you already know what's coming and how to respond.

Yeah, the thing about this map is that it's very easy to lose a squishy healer (It took me two tries, first one had Malicia get gunned down by Ballista, and Klein is really only a threat if she pops out of Fog of War. When she's in your vision and your range, you saw how easily she went down, and I purposely used weaker weapons so I wouldn't waste durability on her, unlike with Roro where I was pulling out all the possible big guns. If you have like, 2 people in range of her, Klein is probably only going to get one attack off, which you can probably handle unless you're a flier, so just don't bring them for this one.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

And I had always heard Athena was terrible, although I've never really tried her much myself. I guess I was having flashbacks to FE7 Wallace. There's just so many units in this game it's hard to fit everyone you want in. I'd like to use Sirius and Feena more, for example.

Athena's biggest problem is that she comes in at level 10 when most of your guys are promoting, with rather low bases. It's much like a rather infamous character we'll get later on, except a bit less extreme.
She needs a lot of effort to be used, and there is no guarantee that she'll turn out well. That's probably why people say she's terrible. I'm sure there'll be an argument about it later when said infamous character joins us.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose if you're going to go for a gimmick, it's a lot easier to plan out a possible single death by ambush than it is to, say, bury people in a ton of dudes and watch them try to dig themselves out.

Also this does kind of interlock with the thing we've been doing where we kill all the assassin commanders. Hard to sustain personnel in the face of that. Eremiah seems like she's headed for barking orders to an empty room.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

LifeofaGuardian posted:

Athena's biggest problem is that she comes in at level 10 when most of your guys are promoting, with rather low bases. It's much like a rather infamous character we'll get later on, except a bit less extreme.
She needs a lot of effort to be used, and there is no guarantee that she'll turn out well. That's probably why people say she's terrible. I'm sure there'll be an argument about it later when said infamous character joins us.

In a game with the sheer number of dudes that 12 has, it's a lot harder to motivate yourself to use the late bloomers the game gives you because you're almost guaranteed to have someone just as good right now, and the late bloomer doesn't even get the distinction of being the best of their class because everyone can class change.

That said, Athena would be a lot more usable with an Odysseus character in the roster.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I wish there was a mode that, like, doubled the deployment slots and enemies on the map. Maybe not for the Gaidens, because most of them are pretty puzzle like in their design, but when you have a roster of over 70 guys, you have to start giving yourself challenges or special conditions to justify using even half of them, like "everyone gets deployed the map after their recruitment" or "anyone that shows up in How's Everyone goes out, even if they're level 1 and it's the last map."

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

Lotish posted:

I wish there was a mode that, like, doubled the deployment slots and enemies on the map. Maybe not for the Gaidens, because most of them are pretty puzzle like in their design, but when you have a roster of over 70 guys, you have to start giving yourself challenges or special conditions to justify using even half of them, like "everyone gets deployed the map after their recruitment" or "anyone that shows up in How's Everyone goes out, even if they're level 1 and it's the last map."

In Awakening and Sacred Stones (Games that let you fight free battles) I always deploy whoever is lowest level, and I end up using every character that way. I think it's fun even when the character turns out like garbage, because at least everybody had a fair chance, and I get to see more supports that way. This isn't really viable in games without free battles, though.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

In a game with the sheer number of dudes that 12 has, it's a lot harder to motivate yourself to use the late bloomers the game gives you because you're almost guaranteed to have someone just as good right now, and the late bloomer doesn't even get the distinction of being the best of their class because everyone can class change.

That said, Athena would be a lot more usable with an Odysseus character in the roster.

Right, I forgot about that. Yeah, I chose to use Athena because I really like her and Maris turned out awfully. Plus, I've always been a fan of the lesser used characters. Hell, even my Matthis has managed to make himself useful as a Sniper, though that's more because Snipers are an amazing class.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Lotish posted:

This is a pretty rad idea and I'd love to see it as like a fan mod or something. You might have to increase the size of a few of the maps though, or every tile would be a chokepoint clusterfuck.

LifeofaGuardian posted:

Right, I forgot about that. Yeah, I chose to use Athena because I really like her and Maris turned out awfully. Plus, I've always been a fan of the lesser used characters. Hell, even my Matthis has managed to make himself useful as a Sniper, though that's more because Snipers are an amazing class.

Athena has some of the best lines in her Supports, thankfully we already got her first just for doing that one map (you might also need her in the prologue? Not sure how that works exactly.), so you'll get to see it next update.

Sneak Preview for next time:

My attempt to make Armory Man the protagonist by bumming my artifact of unstoppable power on him.

I almost wish I had saved the First Person Steve Update gimmick for this one because there are some quality supports.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

LordHippoman posted:

Athena has some of the best lines in her Supports, thankfully we already got her first just for doing that one map (you might also need her in the prologue? Not sure how that works exactly.), so you'll get to see it next update.

But her lack of support with Minerva is criminal. :colbert:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 29: Seize The Starsphere (Prep)

Marth's quest to Gotoh's shrine is complete. We've overcome deserts, volcanoes, blizzards, and, most recently, a psychotic sniper and her snowstorm induced blinding powers.

Unfortunately that rear end in a top hat Gotoh forgot to mention that his shrine is full of horrible dark mages and dragons. So let's get to that.

Is it a New Mystery? Of the Emblem?

Narrator: Tiki was the daughter of the Divine Dragon King, Naga,
and was sleeping in the temple because the king so willed. The Divine Dragon King's fear of Tiki's power was that of a loving parent. Were Tiki to awaken, her dreadful hidden power would eventually destroy the world... So thought the king.

However, Bantu, the king's servant, changed his mind after centuries of watching Tiki, waking her from her slumber and whisking her away. That's why Tiki's memories are just the ten years she lived as a human...

"Poor Tiki..."
Marth was too bewildered to think.

So Bantu just woke up the potentially world destroying dragon princess? I'm sure that won't have any negative reprecussions! No, really, I don't think it does. Naga is apparently kind of stupid.

Lots to do now, so let's hop to it.

Our fliers can return to the field now that Klein and her arrow themed tyranny have been defeated. Luke, Nabababaababababa, and Caeda are close to promotion, but I have no seals. I'll get the remainder of the ones I need soon, but for now I'm going to try to get them to 20 and then let other units do the bulk of the work.

I gave Catria Iote's Shield for now, might swap it around in later maps.

I hopped into the Armory and sold a lot of the old crappy Iron Weapons and ones we didn't need to get a decent purse for the Drill Grounds and an upcoming Secret Shop...that I don't usually buy anything from, but I'd like to show it, at least.

It's worth noting that the special items you get in How's Everyone sell for 0 gold, so no cheesing the money system by doing that.

Also check out Minerva's sweet eyebrow game.

This keeps happening.

I realized I haven't been using Sirius and his stats kinda blow. As many of you who have played this know, later in the game, this can be really bad! And I already have one character who will be needed dead weight in that particular part! So I want to start swapping him out for Minerva or some other unit with a good level lead for a while. First of all though, he needs to get non-awful stats. So, Drill Grounds.

Oh boy, it is chat time.

Indecent Steve and the Vorcounsel

: It's almost time for the war council. We'd like you to attend as well.

Today the war council will be held on Gotoh's lawn.

: Vat is a vorcounsel? Is it round and sveet?

: N-no, that's not it. A war council isn't something you eat... You see, a war council is a discussion with everyone, held before the next battle.

: In that case, ve understand. Ve are in your debt. Ve are from foreign country, ve came riding the sea. The vords here, ve find difficult.

I like to imagine that when Athena says she came riding the sea, she means like, a rowboat she just shoved into the ocean. I'm just going to assume that's canon.

: I see. Well, it can't be helped if you don't understand... I know, I could teach you all sorts of things, if you wish?

: All sorts of things? You mean indecent things?

Steve, stop this.

: N-no, that's not it. Where on earth did you get that idea...? Anyway, if there's any word you don't understand, feel free to ask me anytime.

: Ve are grateful. And glad because you are not indecent.

: Sure. Oh and "sure" means...

: I-I'm sorry.

:allears:
Athena owns. I'm definitely doing the rest of these in the support updates. And because that was so good, the cosmic balance of the universe demands...

fuckin no goddammit matthis why

Oh, screw off.

: Hm? Do you need help, Sir Matthis?

: I'm worried. I'm so worried, I can't stand still...

: Worried about what?

: Oh, thanks for listening. You see, I'm can't stop thinking about what's happening to Lena.

: Sister Lena... She disappeared with the others, didn't she...?

: Lena is my little sister. My cute lil' sister has been kidnapped. Our enemies are planning something wicked for them. There's no doubt about that. When I think about what they're doing to Lena, I just can't help worrying... Ahh, I can't stand it!

You are pretty creepy, Matthis.

: I understand, Sir Matthis. But you should try to calm down...

: There's no way I can calm down! She's as pure as the holiest maiden! And she's really cute, too. And she's been kidnapped... Do you have any idea what she must be going through? Of course you don't! As her big brother, I can't let anything happen to her!

You are extremely creepy.

: Wait, Sir Matthis! ...Just where are you going?

: ...To find Lena. Except I got no clue where she is. ...But, I'm not about to stand here and just do nothing, mark my words...!

: Not again...

And then he walked three feet and fell over, the end.

Future of the World

: However, we cannot afford to lose. For everyone's sake...

: Yes, I understand. Sire, let us end this war, alive, no matter what. For the future of Altea... and for the future of this world.

(well if either of them die it's a game over, so this has to happen.)

: The future, huh...? Five years or ten years afterwards... What kind of future awaits us, I wonder?

: I believe you'll ascend as king of Altea, and govern the world. By then, you'll probably have children too... I am certain your children will be both kind and brave.

: Thank you for your kind future. And what will you be doing, then?

: When that time comes... I believe I'll still be serving you by your side. And, if I happen to have children of my own... I am sure my children will fight for the future of Altea, as well.

Steve has already drafted her kids. Worst Mom.

: My children and your children... It would be lovely if they could get along.

: Truly.

: For that future, too... We must be victorious. Let's do our best, Steve.

: Sire!

Now that Steve is best buddies with the main character, we get one of these. I am going to piss it away almost IMMEDIATELY.

It's A Cold And It's A Broken Jagen

: Lord Gotoh should be waiting for Prince Marth here. But, the revelation about the Binding Shield, which, with its five orbs, seals the earth dragons in its bind, and that the seal would fragment should any of the orbs break... I wonder if that's what Lord Wendell meant when he said the world would fall into ruin if any of the orbs were lost?

Yes that was the plot thank you Jagen.

Love Bites

: Steve, the Ice Dragon Shrine stands before our eyes. For his beloved Artemis, Anri--Altea's forefather--obtained the divine sword Falchion here. He then proceeded to defeat Medeus and, acclaimed by the people of Altea, become their first king. However... though Anri and Artemis loved each other, they could not marry...

: Why?

: The nobles of Archanea didn't want Anri, a commoner, to become their king. More than that, they strongly encouraged the princess to wed Duke Cartas, who led the liberation army. Princess Artemis had no way of refusing. "The bearer of the Fire Emblem must give their life to the royal family." That is a saying passed down unchangingly in House Archanea. And so, without telling a word to Anri, the princess accepted her engagement to Duke Cartas.

: No way... Then, King Anri...

: King Anri never married. So, the kingdom of Altea was then succeeded by his younger brother, King Marcelus--Prince Marth's great-grandfather.

: What a tragedy...

: That was Artemis's Curse. The sorrowful curse associated with the Fire Emblem...

Yeah, pretty hosed up. Too bad absolutely nobody told Marth about that! Seriously, the only time this gets mentioned in Shadow Dragon is after you beat the game, and only if Caeda is dead. Kind of an important bit to leave out, Nyna!

To help Sirius not be terrible this map, which is full of EXP, I gave him a Speed Potion and a Strength Bond.

So, looking at the map, immediately to the left of our starting position is this guy. That Warp Staff is singlehandedly the most potentially gamebreaking thing in FE12. We want it.

The main map is composed into sort of a trident shape, with three prongs coming off of the main entrance hall of the shrine. It is full of Dark Mages, Dragons, and these rare aggressive thieves. They are not to be underestimated, Levin Swords with 4 Mag are pretty laughable, but Silvers combined with good speed can quickly shred us. They have lots of glorious treasure though, so let's take a peek at that.

Always restores a unit to full health.

I'm not sure what happened to the "ne". Triple Damage to mounted units.

cash money

You've already seen a million of these.

Triple damage to mounted units.

Of course, getting all that isn't going to be easy...we've got all this to deal with.

Next time, let's wrap up this plot arc.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, that blizzard castle map looks really cool.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

Were Tiki to awaken, her dreadful hidden power would eventually destroy the world... So thought the king.

I've found this is only a slight exaggeration.

Pretty sure I never encountered the Ridersba in my playthroughs. Maybe it just does 2.4x damage instead? :v:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Glazius posted:

Okay, that blizzard castle map looks really cool.

Yeah, this is one of the best visually designed areas, I think.

vilkacis posted:

Pretty sure I never encountered the Ridersba in my playthroughs. Maybe it just does 2.4x damage instead? :v:

You know, I was curious to see if I could reproduce that screenshot, so I went back and just jostled the cursor over that thief, to another thief, and back to him, and it seems like, for whatever reason, about half the time it takes a moment for the "ne" to load. I haven't seen that happen on any other item name in the game.

It is a mystery.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

LordHippoman posted:

Yeah, this is one of the best visually designed areas, I think.

You know, I was curious to see if I could reproduce that screenshot, so I went back and just jostled the cursor over that thief, to another thief, and back to him, and it seems like, for whatever reason, about half the time it takes a moment for the "ne" to load. I haven't seen that happen on any other item name in the game.

It is a mystery.

Fire Emblem 12: Mystery of the Ridersba

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

Fire Emblem 12: Mystery of the Ridersba

Hey now, this is the remake. "New" Mystery of the Ridersba

Also working on the update but the first like, 3 turns of this chapter are pretty rough and I want to get a non-terrible run of them.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

BONUS UPDATE: Barst Is Too :black101: for this Sinful Earth

Sometimes in FE, one of your units does something great. And you really like it. But it keeps happening and eventually you do not like it anymore. This is one of those times.

Barst crits the first of 3 Dragons. I set him, Catria, and Luke to block their advance.

Here's Dragon #2

Crit.

Crit.

Reinforcements from the rear, Dragon #4 avenges his siblings!

nope crit

Luke is not as cool as Barst.

Barst dodges the flames.

oh and unnecessary crit

Literally the last enemy capable of hitting him.

Womp womp womp. Restart.

For perspective, that was 5 dead units in one enemy phase, all suiciding onto Barst, wielding only a basic Hand Axe, getting 5 crits. That was 1/4th of the enemy roster for this map.

Sometimes someone can just be too good at their job.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
This one map is a great argument in favor of using Sirius heavily, the fact that his base Resistance is anything makes him ideal for this chapter, because nobody gets Resistance by leveling up.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

EclecticTastes posted:

This one map is a great argument in favor of using Sirius heavily, the fact that his base Resistance is anything makes him ideal for this chapter, because nobody gets Resistance by leveling up.

I think Catria got some resistance in a level up recently!

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 29: Seize The Starsphere (Battle)

It's time to go visit Gotoh in his house full of crazy feral dragons, thieves, and evil wizards, because he is pretty much terrible at his job. First though, let's check up on our pals.

Why do I keep getting these?

Pretty standard stuff. Now then.

And so our destination is pretty clear. There's no throne in sight so...might as well just go for the green square.

We have a new-ish friend for this map. Xane's been with us since Chapter 11, but this is the first time he'll fight with us. Shadow Dragon players already know his gimmick, but if you haven't played that game, you're probably gawking at how awful he is. No weapon ranks, garbage stats, and he's not a Manakete, so no Dragonstones. Well, he has a trick.

And suddenly two Steves!

Xane is an extremely unique unit in the series who, IIRC was never used again. He's a Freelancer, which means he can mimic anyone on our team and gain their class, stats, etc., by moving next to them and choosing "imitate".

There are some drawbacks, though. Xane can only stay transformed for 5 turns, and transforming does end his turn. In addition, his HP doesn't change upon transforming, unless it exceed's that unit's max HP (this will probably never happen naturally). His level-ups also only effect his untransformed state, which makes them pretty useless. He's a pretty versatile character, but I'm not a huge fan.

Immediately gently caress this Thief.

Oh man. This is a prize. The Warp Staff has 7 uses and is hilariously great. With this, one of our staff users can teleport a unit to literally any square on the map. Think Rescue in reverse. This is a staple of low turn runs.

I want Sirius to fight the Ice Dragon instead of Catria, because he needs the levels.

Xane having less HP than Steve means I need to heal him with Malicia to get him up to her max.

Yikes. He really does need some better defenses. Still some of the best Res on our team though.

Next turn, Sirius gets the first dragon kill of the map.

Yes. I will take that.

Time to lure in the Dragons. Note that that's Xane, not Steve. Sadly, fighting the dragons here is going to leave the units on the sides open to attacks over the wall by the Dark Mages, but we'll live.

Xane/Steve has the worst defenses of the lot, so this is about the worst we'll get from the dragons.

Ogma dodges his foe, and the one that went for Barst is already a pile of dust on the ground.

He had a friend, though. Barst doesn't care.

Barst never cares.

Kind of humid today. Huh.

The other dragons and Dark Mages in the center hall will not stand for this nonchalant display of Barst power, and rush us. The thieves come too, surprisingly, considering their usual strategy of "run and hide".

Alright Xane, that's enough playing Steve for now.

Catria crits and removes one of the mages lining the walls.

This Dragon learns that you cannot hide from the Barst.

Defying all rules of video games, Elfire does not do any extra damage to the Ice Dragons. It did in the original game, apparently, as well as Bantu's Firestone, but that's been cut in the remake.

I'll admit to having never played FE3 and just seeing that in a "trivia" thing while I was reading up on this map.

Anyway here's another Mag-less level for Merric. I cannot escape this curse.

And thus the mage population was thinned.

Perhaps putting our lowest level character in front was not my best idea.

Our mages are superior.

...goddammit Malicia what did I just say

This dodge is a good dodge.

So was this. Killing Edge guys will never not make me nervous.

Gah gently caress, Levin Sword guy! Another miracle dodge, but I suspect this is the game trying to gently caress with me for calling these guys non-threatening in the prep update.

Yeah, Caeda, run, this is a bad place for you.

Dragon down, but look at all those thieves coming in. This is another one of those maps that just throws a million guys at you at the beginning and lets up towards the end.

Rare footage of Merric actually using that staff rank.

Killing Edge, meet Killer Axe.

I know I could spend this on a thing in this chapter. I'm not going to because I never really use those. If you don't know what I mean, you will later.

What you are seeing here is the very last second of this thief's existence.

I'm pretty sure that was called something else but okay, if you say so.

This is for almost forcing a restart, rear end in a top hat.

I predict many Paladins dead at Barst's hands with this.

Not too bad.

horse butt, pro screenshot timer

One more for the pile.

These thieves are too fast for NavadtheBadDad to double.

Marth gets to help!

Yes game, I'm sorry I've been ignoring Marth. I'll Drill Grounds him or something.

Malicia will love this.

Geez, gently caress Levin Swords today.

The good old Luke/Nav tag team is enough to get rid of it, though.

Pretty nice.

Even nicer.

The Javelins finish the Dark Mages, and the first and most difficult part of the chapter is done.

Xane is back to being Xane as I have Merric and Malicia heal up the team.

And now, the Royal Honor Guard. Something seems a little off here though...

Stepping on the tile Gotoh marked with Marth causes the ice to melt away...

And...Merric?

Oh, no, it's Gotoh, they just have the same sprite.

: To reward your courage, I entrust you with the Lightsphere. This will nullify the Darksphere's power. Defeating Hardin will no longer be an impossible task. And what of the star shards?

Hey, so, those Shards we've been gathering since Chapter 3 are important now. You need every single one. If you got them all, you are on track for the good ending. Make sure you get them all or you'll miss out on a lot!

This was relieving to see even though I had already counted 12.

: Goodness gracious. With these, I can restore the Starsphere. Wait one moment... Marth. This is the Starsphere. I entrust this to you also.

So our Starshards are gone forever now :(

: Huh? Lord Gotoh, why would you give me something so precious?

: Only you can restore the Binding Shield... The shield has chosen you.

You probably already guessed this next plot bit.

Marth has not.

: You mean...! This Fire Emblem is the Binding Shield... Lord Gotoh, does that mean... If I were to place all five orbs into this, the Binding Shield will be restored?

: You are indeed correct... But 600 years have passed since it broke... The earth dragons sealed under Macedon will soon awaken. There are several hundreds--no, several thousands.

Well that sounds like more of Minerva's problem to me.

: I will entrust Tiki to you as well. You will find her in the room to the right. With her, you can defeat those dragons. But I must warn you. If you do not complete the Binding Shield, even Tiki will be destroyed.

: What?! But why!?

: Because she is still a child. Without the shield, she too will degenerate.. In time, she will turn into a beast and attack humanity. I took pity on her and sent her to sleep. But if the Binding Shield is restored, we will no longer have to worry. The shield will protect Tiki. Marth, I leave Tiki in your hands. Please free her from her destruction.

So, I'll admit that I don't really get this. Xane said earlier that dragons who sealed their forms inside the Dragonstones were safe from going crazy, and that's why he and Gotoh are okay, as well as Bantu. So why is Tiki losing it? Is it just because she's still technically a child and they're more vulnerable? I'm not quite clear on this part.

Oh, and if you DIDN'T get the Starsphere and thus cannot complete the Fire Emblem...

: I see. You couldn't collect them all... I suppose it couldn't be helped... Nevertheless, I will take what shards you have. Tiki is sleeping in the room to the right, but since the shield has not been restored, I cannot let you meet her. She has yet to mature into an adult. Without the Binding Shield, her degeneration is but inevitable. In time, she will turn into a beast and attack humanity. I'm afraid Tiki cannot ever be allowed to awaken again. 'Tis for her own good... Marth, if you have taken the treasures, then head to the room to the left. I shall await you there...

Not only does he steal the Shards you did manage to get, he just leaves Tiki locked away. Gotoh is a very lazy demigod.

You get an extended item fanfare for this one, and you deserve it. The Starsphere is a really good item, even aside from its plot requirement.

The Lightsphere is much more situational, but also plot required, since we cannot nullify Hardin's Darksphere without it.

The room on the left thaws too, revealing the throne and treasures.

And on the right, Tiki. You can totally skip recruiting her here if you want, or straight up kill her, but you'd be a huge jerk. Don't be a huge jerk.

Unfortunately, our good deeds have not gone unpunished, as 5 reinforcements spawn at the entrance.

Imagine those three are here instead, I may have hosed that up :shh:

Another flood of dragons. Hope you weren't sick of these guys yet. Thankfully we'll get a break from them soon.

Lame level, but at least Strength is capped!

Now he's just showing off.

This was a bit close for comfort.

Oh, and now the other units in the left and right wings charge us. I suppose you could make this easier on yourself by dealing with them one on one before activating Gotoh, but I figure I owe myself something after how much I cheesed Chapter 12.

And that's all she wrote for the reinforcements.

I'm taking on the right side first.

Here's an example of a Xane level up.

More Tomes!

Sirius is starting to pull it together. He could use some more speed and luck though.

He should take lessons from Caeda here.

The other side is the exact same, so I won't bore you all with the screenshots.

This happened though.

And with that, we've pretty much won the map. Just a few errands to take care of.

Like this.

marth she is not inside your eyelids wake up you rear end in a top hat

: ...Mar... Mar-Mar... Oh, Mar-Mar!! You came! You came to see Tiki!!

: That's right, Tiki. It's been a while. Have you been well?

: Uhh... not really. Lord Gotoh said that I had to sleep again. But... I don't wanna. I slept all by myself for a really long time. I had so many scary dreams, over and over. I dreamt I ended up like the poor fire dragons and ice dragons... That I was a terrifying monster. I'd attack humans and kill them. "No...", "Stop..." they'd shout, and then I'd wake up. All alone, in this pitch black room... I cried so much.

Yeah, Tiki's life is pretty terrible so far.

: And each time, Ban-Ban comforted me. Then, one day he took me out, and brought me to a human village. The village life was so fun! Everyone treated me so nice... I was really happy. I don't wanna sleep anymore... Next time I close my eyes, I feel as though I'll never open them again. I don't want that. I want to live with everyone. I don't want to sleep.

: Tiki, it's alright now. I'll protect you. So don't cry anymore...

: Really...? I don't have to see those terrible dreams anymore?!

: Oh, of course! Once the Binding Shield is restored, you can come live with us. Tiki, trust me, and come with me!

: Yeah! Yaaay!! Thank you, Mar-Mar!

And so Marth adopted a child.

Tiki is an interesting unit. She's a Manakete, like Bantu, but she has access to the Divinestone. That is TRIPLE DAMAGE TO ALL DRAGONS. That is pretty drat useful in any map they're involved in.

Against human units though, the only real things Tiki has going for her are her transformed 20 Defense and 21 Resistance. Unfortunately, that gets offset hard by her meager 18 HP. Using TIki basically means using the Divinestone, and that has a maximum of 30 uses. You can give Tiki more stones, though. Bantu's Firestone will work on her. Again, though, limited availability, and not nearly as good transformed spots, leaving that 18 HP open to be decimated.

There's a secret shop on this map here:

That is completely inaccessible unless you use the Warp Staff. It sells Fire, Ice, Flying, and Magic Dragonstones. The first 3 turn Tiki into a Fire Dragon, Ice Dragon, and Wyvern, while the last makes her a Mage Dragon, something we haven't encountered yet.

None of their stats are as good as the Divinestone, though, and I'd rather save that money and the Warp Staff use.

Anyway, where were we?

Oh yeah, that middle chamber where Gotoh was has this in it.

This is okay I guess?

This is really good.

Infinite Range Feena. Only 3 uses though. Save this for endgame, trust me.

Also very good in a game where Resistance is so rare.

: Though it was to protect her, I was far too cruel to her. I suspect she must really hate me... You should go, Marth. I will send you to Altea with my powers.

Gotoh if you could teleport why did we walk here in the first place you dickhead.

: Lord Gotoh, why don't you come with us?

: Hmm... At the moment I've one thing I must still investigate.

Gasp! I mean, the player knew that already if you got the Kleine chapter but..GASP.

Just like Michalis, and you saw how that went.

: Yes, you killed his body. But his soul was held prisoner by the Darksphere, and within it, his hatred only grew. Afterwards, his former disciples--the heretic bishops--resurrected him. And they seem to be planning something foul.

: I see. Very well, Lord Gotoh. We shall split ways here.

: Indeed. If I find something, then I too will visit Altea afterwards. I'm counting on you, Marth. Everything rests on your shoulders. You must save both our races from the path of destruction.

And we fade out to find Steve, contemplating.

Prepare your wacky theme music.

: Hey, Steve. You said you're Marth's Royal Guard, right?

: Yes. My mission is to protect Prince Marth.

: I see. But if you really plan on protectin' him, then you need the strength to match your conviction. Hey, do you wanna know a way to get stronger?

: Huh? Do you know how to?

: 'Course, just hold on a second.

/: Tiki's still a kid, but the real reason she can fight is because of her hairstyle and tiara.

oh no

: Wait, what?! Are you serious?!

/: Yeah, if you wear your hair like this, then you'll be that much stronger. So all you gotta do is wear this tiara, and wear your hair like Tiki. If you do that, then a legendary power will flow through you! ...Well, maybe.

Farewell, popedom. We ascend to the seat of DRAGON QUEEN.

: Sure, why not?

/: Alrighty then. I'll be sure to do this properly.

: Thank you, Sir Xane!

: Is something the matter, Sir Xane?

/: Ah, no, it's nothin'. Well, see you around. I'm looking forward to your new look!

Steve cannot resist the urge to put everything on her head.

Next time:

And more importantly:

Later.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 1, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Ha! I was right about the Fire Emblem being needed to keep Tiki from going insane!

That Tiara hairstyle looks great, we should keep it.

LordHippoman posted:

Anyway here's another Mag-less level for Merric. I cannot escape this curse.

There's no leveling screen! :cry:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
One of the easier ways to clean out this map is to take your three best physical units (probably MU, Ogma, and Barst), turn them into generals, and give them bows. The ice dragons will scratch the polish, and the mages will wipe themselves out in two turns.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That is a really fine hat but I'm really digging this new hairstyle more.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That hairstyle is too powerful not to use

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
All hail the tiara!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

Sirius is starting to pull it together. He could use some more speed and luck though.

Luck? Sirius doesn't need luck.

quote:

None of their stats are as good as the Divinestone, though, and I'd rather save that money and the Warp Staff use.

You are dead to me :colbert:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Given Hippoman's desire for more divine stone use I think it's worth noting that the old school version of the star sphere gave you the ability to use weapons without losing durability.

Also, the shards and orb provided bonus stat growths as opposed to static boosts, so there's that too.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Ha! I was right about the Fire Emblem being needed to keep Tiki from going insane!

There's no leveling screen! :cry:

I totally forgot that plot point, my bad. And fixed, just a double screenshot error. Thanks for catching it.

inthesto posted:

One of the easier ways to clean out this map is to take your three best physical units (probably MU, Ogma, and Barst), turn them into generals, and give them bows. The ice dragons will scratch the polish, and the mages will wipe themselves out in two turns.

That is far more creative than anything I have done so far. Good idea.

vilkacis posted:

You are dead to me :colbert:

it definitely has nothing to do with me...hypothetically... putting the VIP card on minerva and then swapping her for sirius at the last second, and only realizing at the end of the map, what kind of awful lp man would make that mistake :stonklol:

FoolyCharged posted:

Given Hippoman's desire for more divine stone use I think it's worth noting that the old school version of the star sphere gave you the ability to use weapons without losing durability.

Also, the shards and orb provided bonus stat growths as opposed to static boosts, so there's that too.

Man, why are all these cool things removed? This is such a great remake otherwise.

Guy Fawkes posted:

All hail the tiara!

TheKingofSprings posted:

That hairstyle is too powerful not to use

RareAcumen posted:

That is a really fine hat but I'm really digging this new hairstyle more.

So I'm gonna go ahead and start screenshotting 15 with the tiara because it seems to be pretty unanimously loved. Bonus points for keeping the mask, I guess. (Also I may be stretching for a new page because drat this one has like 4 updates on it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

So I'm gonna go ahead and start screenshotting 15 with the tiara because it seems to be pretty unanimously loved. Bonus points for keeping the mask, I guess. (Also I may be stretching for a new page because drat this one has like 4 updates on it.)

Yes, by all means, bring on the tiara. It keeps the mask and is excellent all around.

edit:Is there a way to know if a post is going to push things onto a new page beforehand?

• Locked thread