Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

vilkacis posted:

Wait, really? I WANT A REMATCH.

Luke...that's not how you cheat in a bow rank, silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Gonna take screencaps of Prologue 6 later tonight, hopefully, if I don't have to be getting up and answering the door every 20 seconds to pass out candy. I'd dress up as Steve but I don't think I can pull off the hair. Or the mask. Or the gender.
Just put out a bowl, with a simple note:

"If you take too much, my crazy grandpa Jagen will appear from the grave and drive you crazy with boring lectures."

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

vilkacis posted:

This battle is kinda :psyduck: the first time around. Silver weapons? In the prologue? Oh god not the face.
I like to look at the surprise silver weapons here as the game's way of letting the player know that "Hey, we're about to take off the kid gloves and then proceed to beat your face in with them. Repeatedly. Enjoy!"

But yeah, it's definitely a moment of "OH GOD WHY? :gonk:" to people not expecting them.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Let's do one of the BS maps first.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SC Bracer posted:

Ehh you can really tell this was one of the earlier things that got translated. Lots of weird, awkward things everywhere.

That aside, we had an actual debate about if we were going to keep General Goober. I think we might have actually changed the spelling to make it more dignified?
I think that when his parents named him Goober/Gouber, all dignity went flying out the window at breakneck speed.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Not even an hard drive meltdown can deflect the RNG's spite.

Welcome back.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

I'll reclass in Awakening to get class skills, but then I switch them back to their default classes, with the obvious exceptions of Donnel (Berserker!)
I assume you mean Warrior, since Donny only has access to the Fighter line (which promotes to either Hero or Warrior), and not the Barbarian line (which is where you get Berserker from in Awakening).

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Also echoing the leave Ryan as an archer sentiment for now.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I am disappointed we did not get Jagen vs. Lang. It would have been very satisfying as a last hurrah for the archetype originator.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Raitzeno posted:

Sacrifice Steve's hair to the RNG. If her Mag doesn't increase next level, switch it back.
I support this option.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Clearly that is the legendary paladin Cinco Panis.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Kajeesus posted:

In Blazing Blade, Lloyd won't attack Nino in Cog of Destiny (thought Linus will, if he's the boss). I think this is the only enemy to be scripted this way in the GBA series.

EDIT: Also that bearded guy in FE6, Douglas? He won't attack your Bard/Dancer.
Douglas won't attack Lalum ONLY if she manages to talk to him first. Otherwise, Lalum will be attacked by her own father with no hesitation. I believe Elphin is the same deal as well.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

fade5 posted:

I honestly don't know what the point of Rickard even is; he's straight-up inferior to Julian, and there are very few maps where you need two thieves (especially since Marth can act as a semi-thief with the Fire Emblem). He's even recruited by Julian, so why not just... use Julian.

Especially when Julian is actually semi-good at dodging poo poo.
Fire Emblem has a long tradition of giving players more than one unit from a class. Admittedly, they sometimes go insane with how much they give you (every cavalier and their promoted versions, take a goddamn bow), but often they give one or two more in case the first one gets RNG-screwed or dies.

Admittedly, Julian and Rickard have the problem of being in Marth's games, where they can't promote. But, Julian usually turns out decent to good while Rickard...is only good for completion stats, a free sword, and the VIP Card. And for unlocking the next gaiden chapter. And that rare time where you need Julian to be in one place and there are other loot locations he can't get to so Rickard gets a swing at action. As for why Marth isn't turned into a backup thief, well mostly I believe the reason is that using Marth as thief means having to drag him to a chest room, then back over to the throne to seize. Which can screw you out of gaiden chapters because you took too long or some similar delay.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

Actually, no Gaiden Chapter requires you to complete maps in a given number of turns. You can take as long as you want. Granted, you may not want to, but as long as you're not racing enemy thieves (actually, even if you are, seeing as you can just send a Cavalier to kill them), you pretty much never need Rickard.
I take it back then.

Still, Rickard is a less than stellar unit, and Julian is pretty much the go-to thief unless you do something stupid and get Julian killed.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

This is FE12 you can never have too many people on horses. :shepface:
Why stop there? Have the spare horses (and leftover pegasi) ride their own horse into battle!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, Steve finally gained magic.

Next thing you'll tell me Ryan is about to go on a binge of +1s to his speed.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The pope hat stays on Steve.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

vilkacis posted:

"Honey, I got you a knight! You said you wanted a knight, right?"

It will never not be hilarious.
Considering how many people Caeda does this to and succeeds, it will never stop being hilarious.

Also, it's time for everyone's favorite type of map, the desert map! :suicide:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

This one isn't as bad as usual! It's not FE6 levels of "i loving hate this".
I highly doubt anything will top FE6's desert map in terms of sheer aggravation.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Noelor posted:

I'm on board with giving Marth the Boots for visiting villages with, unless he gets a horse when he levels up, in which case:
Yeah, about that...Marth doesn't promote. What you see at the start of the game is what you have to work with for the entire game.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Man, Beck looks bummed out. Probably because in the jump to the remake, he lost his favorite ballista, the Victory Deluxe.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I say we make a hard right turn.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, I noticed the part where she stayed aggressive. I was just expecting it to be far worse than the AI constantly trying to break itself on you.
Well, one strategy is to place Steve unarmed in the middle of everything, draw the attention of everyone and pick off the generics with the rest of the crew. Of course, this strategy is heavily dependent on the RNG not dropping a surprise dropkick to the nads in the form of bullshit crits and other methods of surprise (such as Hippoman losing Sirius to the surprise reinforcements).

Thankfully, Hippoman had the RNG smile on him by letting Malicia go completely apeshit on the enemies with Nosferatu. Of course, this means the other shoe is going to drop hard for Hippoman very soon because that's how Fire Emblem RNGTM rolls.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

theshim posted:

Two points of Res? What is this trickery :stare:
Not to mention a General got three straight levels with speed included in them. That's drat impressive.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

Sheema has a 60% Speed growth. Like most late game units she has really good growths but her bases are too bad to really take advantage of them.
True, but hitting speed for 3 consecutive levels is still fairly notable. Granted, the 2 points of resistance are equally impressive, especially in these games where resistance is a luxury.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

Also, I remembered the wolfguard being bad, but not highest stat of 15 at level 8 promoted bad.
Same here. I was not expecting "so embarrassingly poo poo that generics look better than them". And they're supposed to be some of Hardin's elite commanders, no less.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

I honestly couldn't tell you what game has the least amount of characters. I think it's probably...4? I haven't played that one through all the way though. That game also has a gimmick that DRASTICALLY cuts the cast though.
That would be FE8, which has about...36ish(?) characters, and that's also including the bonus characters you get after clearing the main game. All of the other games have at least 40 playable characters, with Radiant Dawn and New Mystery definitely jockeying for the title of most amount of playable characters.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Okay does anyone know the story behind this? Because I saw this a few weeks ago, and it's an official thing from the Fire Emblem Card Game in Japan, but I could not figure out...why. Was someone at Nintendo really just like "I want to draw a cool zombie Wrys with an axe" and they were like "YEAH MAN DO IT."? Because that is amazing.
I believe that's supposed to be Wrys (as a Hero) holding a Devil Axe, the infamous weapon that can backfire and kill you if the RNG feels like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The only way that ending could have been better would have been if Steve hit 10 magic. But yes, the RNG decided to give you one last farewell, and boy did it not hold back. :allears:

• Locked thread