Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Smythe posted:

plane on a conveyer belt is my favorite goon thing. i also like helicopter on a turntable

once a dude told me a trick and you get a jar and you wet the rim and you fart in it and then put it somewhere flat and the rim makes a seal and later on someone comes along, wonders what it is and lifts it up and bang they get a stinky one right in the throat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Smythe posted:

plane on a conveyer belt is my favorite goon thing. i also like helicopter on a turntable

this sounds like an amusement park ride

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

echinopsis posted:

once a dude told me a trick and you get a jar and you wet the rim and you fart in it and then put it somewhere flat and the rim makes a seal and later on someone comes along, wonders what it is and lifts it up and bang they get a stinky one right in the throat

ROFL

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

The host reveals a dickbutt behind one of the doors that you didn't choose. He then asks if you would like to switch. You look over, and he is now a dickbutt. "yes i will switch" you say, gayly, but behind your new door is just yospos

i get it now

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

echinopsis posted:

reminds me of that prank where you hide a turd under someone's pillow

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

lol, wow, classic jokester. i heard about a prank where you roofie somebody and disembowel them while they're alseep. lmfao

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

have you heard of the prank where you make good posts

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

echinopsis posted:

i feel like i should like the doors, mescaline and all, but i just dont. how could someone on so many awesome drugs write that kind of music

drugs do not turn you into a super musician :ssh:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Widdiful posted:

have you heard of the prank where you make good posts

nope, it doesnt sound like anything i'd be into, sorry

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

idk someone bought it for me

it looks familiar but i'm confused about where it came from

hot canadian chick i think

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
iirc the monty hall problem was first stated by a woman and she got a lot of poo poo (even from university professors) for saying switching is better

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

buttcoin :xd:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Symbolic Butt posted:

iirc the monty hall problem was first stated by a woman and she got a lot of poo poo (even from university professors) for saying switching is better

#GamerGate confirmed

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

spankmeister posted:

#GamerGate confirmed

#GoatGate

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qntm posted:

drugs do not turn you into a super musician :ssh:

no but they should show you what is bad about poo poo music, hopefully showing you the wrong path should push you towards a good one

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
One fine Sunday you wake up in a cell and just as you're getting your bearings your captor starts talking to you. He tells you he's had enough of your posting, and he's going to execute you one morning before the next Sunday, and whatever day he picks will be a complete surprise. As he leaves you start thinking. If he doesn't execute you by Friday then you'll know it's coming on Saturday. So it can't be Saturday. But by the same logic, if it's not Thursday then you'll know it's Friday! So in fact he can't execute you at all according to the rules he laid down. You spend the next couple of days smug in the knowledge that he can't do anything to you and on Tuesday morning he comes in and shoots you in the face. Surprise, motherfucker.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
define "surprise" and we can have this discussion

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

qntm posted:

define "surprise" and we can have this discussion

surprise (n.): motherfucker

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Boom

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Fib posted:

One fine Sunday you wake up in a cell and just as you're getting your bearings your captor starts talking to you. He tells you he's had enough of your posting, and he's going to execute you one morning before the next Sunday, and whatever day he picks will be a complete surprise. As he leaves you start thinking. If he doesn't execute you by Friday then you'll know it's coming on Saturday. So it can't be Saturday. But by the same logic, if it's not Thursday then you'll know it's Friday! So in fact he can't execute you at all according to the rules he laid down. You spend the next couple of days smug in the knowledge that he can't do anything to you and on Tuesday morning he comes in and shoots you in the face. Surprise, motherfucker.

as a bachelor of economics i must say this is the finest explanation of the prisoner's dilemma i have ever seen

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

maniacdevnull posted:

as a bachelor of economics i must say
lol

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

bachelor of farts :razz:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sham bam bamina! posted:

there is literally nothign to get, you have a 2/3 chance of getting a bad door wiht your first try and a guaranteed good door if you switch from a bad one, so that's 2/3 chance of a good door when you swicth

its not that the correct explanation is confusing to ppl, it's that a very similar scenario has 1:1 odds

* if you pick a door, then monty opens a goat door that you didn't pick, the odds are 2:1 for switching

* if monty opens a goat door, then you pick from a door monty didn't pick, the odds are 1:1

if ur not trained in the art of math sperg then there's a good chance you won't even recognize these two setups as being distinct problems, so you automatically come up with the wrong answer and get confused when someone gives a different answer to "the same problem"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

its not that the correct explanation is confusing to ppl, it's that a very similar scenario has 1:1 odds

* if you pick a door, then monty opens a goat door that you didn't pick, the odds are 2:1 for switching

* if monty opens a goat door, then you pick from a door monty didn't pick, the odds are 1:1

well if u havent picked a door yet it's impossible to switch doors at all you nimrod!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

nope I'm too dumb

this is insane to me because I remember it being intuitive once, I even wrote a python script to run the scenario like a thousand times and got the correct result but I cannot tell you why

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

well if u havent picked a door yet it's impossible to switch doors at all you nimrod!

your avatar is v. confusing because i constantly think your someone else

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Mido posted:

nope I'm too dumb

this is insane to me because I remember it being intuitive once, I even wrote a python script to run the scenario like a thousand times and got the correct result but I cannot tell you why

imagine there are 100 doors. you pick one, and then he closes the other 98. now your odds are like, 98:1 in favor of switching (or something i suck at ratios)

intuitive now?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

spankmeister posted:

your avatar is v. confusing because i constantly think your someone else

lol yeah it confuses me too

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

why is this so hard

your first choice no longer exists once you have the new information

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

why is this so hard

Why is this concept so hard? *said by an alien with a super huge cranium who has evolved psychic powers and insane intellect*

Spock: *raises an eyebrow*

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

duTrieux. posted:

why is this so hard

okay now i don't get it

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
the way that makes sense to me is that, when you're asked if you want to switch, you're actually being asked "do you think you were wrong the first time" and if you choose to switch you're betting against your first guess being right. that is to say, by switching you are saying "i was probably wrong the first time" which is true, since your first guess is one-in-three. :shobon:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
tell me we aren't literally doing this

do I need to draw a diagram

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

case 1: you pick one of the 3 doors. then monty opens a goat door you didn't pick. monty asks you: stay or switch to the other closed door?
case 2: monty opens a goat door. then you pick one of the 2 doors monty didn't open. monty asks you: stay or switch to the other closed door?

in both cases in the end you have a goat door opened and a choice between two remaining possible prize doors.

in case 1 switching is the 2:1 favorite
in case 2 switching makes no difference

people get confused b/c when case 1 is described they implicitly think of case 2, not realizing that they are subtly different.

here's why: both cases start with a setup that has no bias towards any particular door (none of the doors are picked out as more likely than any other to be picked for a prize, or for you or monty to open, etc). often when a prob/stat problem is set up that way and you're comparing probabilities between two doors at the end, you can make a symmetry argument to immediately conclude that the probabilities should be equal. usually these arguments are not made explicit in basic courses, just with informal arguments that sound obvious. this is why if you're used to these arguments you're primed to get MH wrong.

both cases above seem like they should work with this kind of symmetry intuition. the reason it fails in case 1 is that in order to immediately conclude that "stay door" and "switch door" have equal probability of having the prize, you need everything in the setup to be symmetric, but your initial choice of a door ruins the symmetry of the prob distribution for monty's door choice: if you happen to choose the prize door, he has two doors to randomly choose from, but if you choose a goat door, he only has a single door he can open. it's all still symmetric w/r/t labels like "door 1", "door 2", "door 3" but it isn't symmetric w/r/t labels like "stay door", "switch door", "opened door".

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

yes, OR you could say that Monty destabilizes the system by introducing information into it. He knows where the goats are and he HAS to pick a door with a goat, and he can't open your door. So you pick either a door with a goat or the prize at 1/3 odds of picking the prize, then Monty opens a goat door, leaving the last door with 2/3 odds for having the prize.

if Monty didn't know where the goats are there'd be a chance of him picking the prize just as easy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Boxturret posted:

okay now i don't get it

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

oh god dammit I was completely misunderstanding the scenario

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

by remaining with your original choice you are still locked into the original 1:3 odds of getting it right, by switching you refresh your odds and it becomes 2:3 now that we've learned a door we didn't pick was a goat

if you run this simulation with a good rng you will get these results, I've done it before and I was just forgetting things

it's confusing if you don't focus on exactly what rules of the scenario are

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Monty hall is an exercise in how probability stuff is really annoying to explain in words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
if you have three butts and one of them doesnt have a fart in it and you pick the middle but and then the butt on the left farts, should you change your pick to the butt on the right?

• Locked thread