Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

I really like my PS4 a lot but the PS4 thread is full of whiny babies. They argued about Destiny and Borderlands for like six pages and then:

That being said the PS4 has the LIVE channel which has people doing this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Casnorf posted:

Destiny is literally Garfield. You know, fat comic strip cat, hates Mondays...Garfield.

I read an article once about Jim Davis, and how he set out to create good, marketable character, and in the process make himself fairly wealthy. He made a product so bland, so inoffensive, and so devoid of interest that nobody could possibly generate strong feelings about it, then marketed it so heavily as to make it ubiquitous. It's a real, if somewhat cynical, recipe for success.

The things Destiny does, it does well enough to get by. The things it doesn't try to do are redirected to a website where nobody will ever pay any attention. It's marketed so heavily that I'm seeing ads for it during the MLB playoffs and on LMN. It's intended to be synonymous with gaming, the way Mario is and Madden and Call of Duty try to be. That's where the half-billion went.

That doesn't mean it's bad, just bland and cynical. I think the occasional Garfield strip is amusing, too. For a few minutes.

I've only played the public beta when that was a thing, but from what I've played and seen of Destiny, this is by far the best description I've seen of it yet.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Charles Martel posted:

I've only played the public beta when that was a thing, but from what I've played and seen of Destiny, this is by far the best description I've seen of it yet.

What would the equivalent of Garfield Minus Garfield be for Destiny?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

chumbler posted:

What would the equivalent of Garfield Minus Garfield be for Destiny?

Borderlands 2.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I don't particularly like or dislike the PS4, but I have no clue why it's selling so much. When one of Sony's top dogs said exactly the same thing a couple of months ago, that they have no clue why it's selling so much, you know something is not quite right. The price is rather high and without good exclusives, backwards compatibility, or free multiplayer, I would assume only earlier adopters -- the sort of people who camp to get the latest gadget -- would buy the console at this time. But that isn't the case, so why are people buying it? Why aren't they waiting for a better price or exclusives (as BC and free multiplayer won't ever be a thing again)?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

I don't particularly like or dislike the PS4, but I have no clue why it's selling so much. When one of Sony's top dogs said exactly the same thing a couple of months ago, that they have no clue why it's selling so much, you know something is not quite right. The price is rather high and without good exclusives, backwards compatibility, or free multiplayer, I would assume only earlier adopters would buy the console. But that isn't the case, so why are people buying it?

people who buy xbox ones are richer, classier people over all and have money left over to buy a ps4

ethanol fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 31, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

I don't particularly like or dislike the PS4, but I have no clue why it's selling so much. When one of Sony's top dogs said exactly the same thing a couple of months ago, that they have no clue why it's selling so much, you know something is not quite right. The price is rather high and without good exclusives, backwards compatibility, or free multiplayer, I would assume only earlier adopters -- the sort of people who camp to get the latest gadget -- would buy the console at this time. But that isn't the case, so why are people buying it? Why aren't they waiting for a better price or exclusives (as BC and free multiplayer won't ever be a thing again)?
disgaea 5

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Endorph posted:

disgaea 5

Where is it? Also, everyone knows a year later NIS will release a much improved version on the Nu3DS or Vita.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Sony also does a great job mismanaging developers it owns and promoting projects it pays for much like Drive Club. Why was DC released when it was not ready? Also Warhawk and its lack of promotion and how quickly its team was shuttered due to disinterest from Sony. Finally there is Last Guardian is what made by janitors now?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Most of the games are animes or indie faux-retro poo poo that you can get on a pc if you didn't get sick of that type of poo poo 30 years ago.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

sniper elite 3 is pretty fun. i realize that it's also out for other systems but i bought it for ps4. after i beat it i'll probably sell the thing to a pawn shop

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
$500? lol, that's like one GPU, you can't play games without the rest of the system

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

I have no idea about this stuff, nor do I particularly care about the PS4, but I'm guessing that it's a combination of hype from E3 and everyone just assuming that the PS4 will be good and have good games soon without needing any sort of evidence. the xbox one got a bunch of bad publicity right away so people looking for a next gen console go straight for the PS4 without even thinking if it's worth it at the time.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

mabels big day posted:

I have no idea about this stuff, nor do I particularly care about the PS4, but I'm guessing that it's a combination of hype from E3 and everyone just assuming that the PS4 will be good and have good games soon without needing any sort of evidence. the xbox one got a bunch of bad publicity right away so people looking for a next gen console go straight for the PS4 without even thinking if it's worth it at the time.

this is exactly why I bought one at launch. it's literally a netflix machine for me. like 99.9% has been netflix and amazon prime video usage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Saoshyant posted:

It's honestly a good question, since the worldwide shipped numbers is slightly more than the Wii at the same stage of its life. One factor is Microsoft going through the biggest PR fuckup since New Coke, another factor is that it's got the rep for having the best version of multiplats, resulting in attracting the FIFA, Madden and CoD crowds, and a third is that the marketing is decent compared to the competition. So, while it makes sense that the PS4 should be selling well, it doesn't make sense for it to be pulling Wii numbers. I suppose it's got the advantage that Sony can keep up with demand while Nintendo couldn't, but it doesn't really explain why people are buying it now and not waiting for discounts/bundles.

• Locked thread