Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

That was actually kinda entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

EvanSchenck posted:

Not to take anything away from the continuing tragic decline of Scott Jorgenson but this card has been pretty fun so far

i can't remember who i disagreed with about 2014 being worse than 2012, but cards like this are the reason 2014 has been better. sure, there's been less marquee fights, but cards have consistently owned that had no business owning

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Is Kotani the Japanese guy who came to the UFC with a killer record but then just kind of shuffled around with his hands at his hips while a guy punched him freely in the face? Was that Norman Parke vs Naoyuki Kotani? I remember a Japanese fighter doing that and it being hilarious, but I can't remember which one.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Okami lost a lot of weight

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

drat it Stann, Kotani looked the weaker of the two not the stronger, he was just crafty with a trip.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

EvanSchenck posted:

Is Kotani the Japanese guy who came to the UFC with a killer record but then just kind of shuffled around with his hands at his hips while a guy punched him freely in the face? Was that Norman Parke vs Naoyuki Kotani? I remember a Japanese fighter doing that and it being hilarious, but I can't remember which one.

I'm pretty sure that's correct.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I want to see a Japanese guy win for once. Japan loves fighting sports so much.

Bumpy Johnson
Oct 9, 2012

EvanSchenck posted:

Tony Ferguson vs. Katsunori Kikuno

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

argondamn posted:

I want to see a Japanese guy win for once.

Not today most likely.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Bumpy Johnson posted:

Tony Ferguson vs. Katsunori Kikuno

that's right, thanks

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Despite what that commercial says, I think Cain would easily beat Ronda in a fight.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

argondamn posted:

I want to see a Japanese guy win for once. Japan loves fighting sports so much.

I wish they did better fighting in North America. They fight with a different style, brings something to the sport.

Pride never die, basically, despite being quite dead.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

EvanSchenck posted:

That's pretty much every Japanese UFC fighter outside of Okami.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yup. :geno:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Kotani was completely listless by that point, I'm glad he got finished.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Count Roland posted:

I wish they did better fighting in North America. They fight with a different style, brings something to the sport.

Pride never die, basically, despite being quite dead.

He didn't fight in North America tonight.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Food Court Druid posted:

That's pretty much every Japanese UFC fighter outside of Okami.

I wonder how Japan's famed racism copes with the fact that in general they suck at MMA and Koreans are awesome.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tezcatlipoca posted:

He didn't fight in North America tonight.

I don't really care how the Japanese do in South America because most fights do not take place there.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Count Roland posted:

I don't really care how the Japanese do in South America because most fights do not take place there.

This one did and he lost.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Dangersim posted:

Despite what that commercial says, I think Cain would easily beat Ronda in a fight.

There's a fun video on youtube of Ronda training some judo stuff with Mousasi. As always don't read the comments (which are mostly guys arguing that women are categorically lesser than men because Ronda couldn't throw a judo black belt who had 60+ pounds on her), but it's kind of funny to see her get super-pissed at him for sandbagging her.

edit-
obviously being somebody who isn't a moron I would have linked to the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9xjs2fWJEs

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 26, 2014

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Vitor gesturing that his dick is actually 12in long.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

EvanSchenck posted:

I wonder how Japan's famed racism copes with the fact that in general they suck at MMA and Koreans are awesome.

I was trying to think of japanese fighters who I had at least seen win outside of Japan and looked up Sexyama on wikipedia:

quote:

A fourth-generation Japanese of Korean descent, he acquired Japanese nationality in 2001.

I'm trying to wrap my head around it.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Is it also hard to wrap your head around the idea of Cain Velasquez, Mexican but... American???

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
neil magny incoming

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Also the last good Japanese fighter to win was tanaka Kanehara who beat Bruce Leroy

E: got my Japans mixed up

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Lloyd Boner posted:

Is it also hard to wrap your head around the idea of Cain Velasquez, Mexican but... American???

Being born in Japan and being fourth generation and not having nationality until 2001 was the odd thing to me. I admit I don't know much about the guy outside of seeing a few of his fights, so maybe he lived in Korea all that time, I don't know.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:unsmith:

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Lloyd Boner posted:

Also the last good Japanese fighter to win was tanaka Kanehara who beat Bruce Leroy

E: got my Japans mixed up

Horiguchi has done pretty well.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

mizugaki is also on a great str.... oh.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Lloyd Boner posted:

He might be wrapping his head around the concept of being a fourth-generation resident of Japan but not having citizenship until you went through a legal process.
ghetto edit: as I thought

There are a handful of legit Japanese fighters. Okami is obvious. Sakuraba fought almost entirely in Japan AFAIK but he was the real deal. I would also say Gomi is/was pretty good but by the time he was fighting in the UFC he was past his prime and the sport had passed him by. Mizugaki seems legit as well, to the extent of being a middle-of-the-pack bantamweight, not amazing.

e: oh yeah I forgot Horiguchi. also Mizuki Inoue

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

argondamn posted:

Being born in Japan and being fourth generation and not having nationality until 2001 was the odd thing to me. I admit I don't know much about the guy outside of seeing a few of his fights, so maybe he lived in Korea all that time, I don't know.

Oh my bad. Yeah not sure how nationality stuff works in Japan. I was born in Germany but wasn't a citizen there because my parents weren't so maybe it works the same way in Japan.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
That's some top-quality cut manning there

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Horiguchi has done pretty well.

Totally forgot about him. But yeah, Horiguchi rules.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Lloyd Boner posted:

Totally forgot about him. But yeah, Horiguchi rules.

I keep bringing him up so people won't forget that he owns.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Magny's mentor is Nate Marquardt? I'd better see a piledriver or a dick kick.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

I believe in Magny

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Magny's mentor is Nate Marquardt? I'd better see a piledriver or a dick kick.

I want Renzo to come in and kick him in the face.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Who taught Patolino to weave? He's fallen in love with leaning back, chin in the air

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

that's a magny round. one round for magny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BUTT MAN
Mar 28, 2010

no homo?
MAGNY 2014

• Locked thread