Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm glad someone's finally taking another stab (heh) at this game after the first attempt like 6 years ago. You've got a nice no-gimmick and informative style for this, so I'll be watching and probably playing along at home. It's been a while since I did a proper replay of the game.

Also that bat kill really shocked me the first time I saw it, and I wasn't really one to shock all that easily at simulated violence. The game itself was also, as others have said, tense as gently caress. You feel awful for what you have to do to make progress, you have to hide in gross places from terrible people who want to kill you, and then slowly stalk and kill them. It sounds really unpleasant but the stealth gameplay is pretty tight and it's actually, dare I say it, fun. Also the atmosphere really can't be beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

It's like the Fed Ex arrow thing, except in this case it was entirely in someone's head and unintentional :v:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I wonder why more Hoods didn't think of the idea of actually hiding and ambushing Cash instead of just standing there or patrolling around waiting for Cash to ambush them.

I mean I assume they're none too bright but they have to be aware of the situation, and you'd think they'd come up with a better way to kill a guy than sticking their necks out and letting the guy cut them.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Seyser Koze posted:

Though you do have to wonder how Starkweather persuaded the first ("KILL THIS SICK gently caress") guy to stand still facing in one direction.

Probably something as simple as telling him that Cash was coming from the other direction :v:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

I love this game. It really seems like a precursor to Arkham Asylum where the enemies start out organized and all big and bad, then just start falling to pieces (har har) as you pick them off.

Yeah you really almost feel bad for killing the final guy before the next checkpoint, because there's really no need to at that point.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Glad to see the LP's back, and yeah the zoo map is generally the most bullshit of the entire game. You have a ton of loud ground spots that can give you away (unless you absolutely crawl across them at a snail's pace), and wide open spaces where guys tend to wander by to see you doing executions. It's also harder to run away since the rule is that if they see you go into a shadow they'll not be fooled, and with the big open areas there are times when you literally have to run almost back to the beginning of the map if you get spotted.

The rest of the zoo after this level offers a little more cover at least, but it's still bullshit.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

malkav11 posted:

Man, you use guns way more than I can recall doing this early in the game. In fact, it felt like a real shift when guns got foregrounded with a subsequent gang (the next one? Can't remember.). ...that was also about the point where I stopped playing and never came back to the game.

Yeah there's an early-on gang where guns kind of become "a thing", maybe just to get you used to the idea. But you can use guns pretty freely on any chapter where they appear as long as you're smart about it, like only using guns on the last guy/two guys or taking a one-hit-kill pot shot and then running to the shadows.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Glazius posted:

Man, I wonder how many bribes are getting paid out to keep this all quiet. I guess they're using largely dilapidated and unused areas, but somebody's got to suspect something.

It's funny that there are huge sections of the city where people have just strung up bodies all over the place, right out in the open. I guess part of our suspension of disbelief is that we're led to assume that if any cop were to investigate they'd disappear under mysterious circumstances.

Although, Cash seems to be doing a good job of single-handedly wiping out entire gangs. I don't know that any cop short of John McClane would've been able to do as well.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Mr Tastee posted:

Hey now, Bully takes place in the GTA universe, so we already know that all the kids get sent to boarding school.

Some sick part of me wanted to believe that James Earl Cash was actually Jimmy Hopkins grown up, and Bully was a prequel to Manhunt. Jimmy... James... and all the Rockstar games "take place in the same universe" so there you go.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Man, the Innocentz, what a weird gang. I have absolutely no idea what their unifying "theme" is supposed to be apart from being creepy and having gross quasi-pedophile guys in baby masks.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

TomViolence posted:

Ooft, a sickle straight to the grundle. It's hard to think of anything worse. I'm just kind of glad the graphics are quite dated and overlaid with the 99th-generation VHS copy effect.

It's funny that in Manhunt 2 the method they used to censor a lot of the kills was a VHS filter effect that made it so snowy and dark that it was nearly impossible to see what was happening.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Maybe my favorite level, that. The Smileys unnerved me more than any other gang.

Yeah the whole Smileyz sequence is my highlight of the game, particularly Fug. Fug is the greatest :D

hexedangel posted:

One interesting dynamic that I like about this game (that I don't think you've shown us yet) is that if you fail a scene while carrying around a severed head, when you reload, the head is in a plastic bag.

Yeah that's weird, I don't know if there's something to read into that or if it's just a memory limitation. Probably the latter, the game likely just has no way of "recalling" which hunter's head you had on you when you died.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 18, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You know, I just thought of something that I wish they added to the Smileyz AI. It's sort of disappointing that the Smileyz pretty much follow the same rules as the other hunters, as in they methodically search areas where you make a noise but not many other places. I think the Smileyz should've had an AI routine where they hear noises or see things where there aren't any there. Like you're about to execute one and then he just flips out and runs screaming over to a random shadow as if he spotted you, or if one just randomly starts searching around even if you didn't do anything.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The Wardogs thing is a fine idea, but I think somebody pointed out that they're meant to be like "LARPers" or those guys who are just really into paintball on the weekends. They're survivalists with no real military training, I think Starkweather even makes a comment to the effect that they've never seen a real war.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Samovar posted:

How close to the end of the game are you? Seems like it has been going on for some time, but the story doesn't really provide a context for a middle/end part.

It's probably about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through now. As was mentioned before, there's two gangs after the Smileys and both are about as long as the other gangs.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

KennyMan666 posted:

I don't get why Starkweather thought that a few Smileys would be enough to kill Cash when he's made it out of worse situations.

Yeah, I mean he killed more Smileys going into that room than he had to face down in the room itself. It just seemed a little limp as far as executions go, if Starkweather really wanted him dead he probably should've sent in a huge squad of those private soldier guys with nightvision goggles and cut the power.

Or, you know, just have someone gank Cash from behind, tie him up, drag him off and shoot him point blank.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I just think that encounter could've used better design. Like maybe have the player have no quiet way to kill enemies at that point, and give them all something that's like instant-kill (chainsaws?). So the trick would be luring an enemy away from the others, firing off a shot to kill them, then taking their weapon and doing the old ring-around-the-pillars trick to run away from the others. Then when you're hidden, lure an enemy, kill with chainsaw, repeat.

That's just one idea, it seems silly given the game's mechanics that they made such an anti-climactic encounter that was supposed to be the death of you. But then maybe that was the point.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Seyser Koze posted:

Once the game switched over to cops instead of gang members, I briefly tried to get by just by distracting them and running past without killing them. I got about halfway through the level before I gave up.

I might have had the briefest of hesitation at brutally killing cops execution style, but I'd gone so far down the hole by that point that I didn't really try for the non-lethal approach. But since Starkweather wasn't heavy-breathing in my ear any more I didn't really feel the need to go for yellow or red executions. For that matter, you could maybe argue that the tonfa's first-level executions might not actually kill some of your targets so that's also an option.

But yeah, once you get to the halfway point you're railroaded into gunfights with shotguns so you have to start killing by then, one way or another.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I know you're going for high bodycounts/level ratings but if I recall from my own playthrough(s) you can pretty easily just evade those SWAT guys in the subway tunnel. That's the big sticking point, and it's no big deal to just grab the save VHS and then keep at it until you slip past into the next area.

Also this thread's making me nostalgic for game rentals. Manhunt is one of those games that I loved playing but never owned because I just took advantage of week-long rentals to beat and re-beat them. I got through a big chunk of Manhunt on Hardcore mode and unlocked most of the secret stages just from a few rentals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Manhunt does seem like a game for those who like hurting other people... hmm...

Postal 2, clearly!

• Locked thread