Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MrGunner posted:

Okay I wasn't sure about the weapons and how they worked. I remember medic having a crit thing that changed the overcharge to make the person crit 100% and stuff but it's been years since I've played so I wasn't sure if there was a ton of new crazier stuff since then.
There's a bunch of new weapons, but you can just catch up quickly on the TF wiki. A lot of them are just different models with the same stats as the stock weapons.

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Scout#Weapons
https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Soldier#Weapons
https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Pyro#Weapons
https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Demoman#Weapons
https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Heavy#Weapons
https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Engineer#Weapons
https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Medic#Weapons
https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Sniper#Weapons
https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Spy#Weapons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

MrGunner posted:

Sorry for upsetting you by asking questions about a game that I want to play again. I pretty much exclusively play Dotes and CSGO now so I've come to embrace the hats. I was mostly wondering if since hats are more than just simple cosmetic items in TF2 if they were necessary to play at this point. Saying that they don't do anything is pretty ridiculous since they obviously all change the way you play the game.

lmao

Crain posted:

Anyone know a good Halloween server? I'd like to get me some spells and poo poo without having to dig through pubs. Also is anyone planning on doing a Good server for this years event like previous ones?

Want to know this too, all the servers I played on last year went bust. Playing on Valve servers shouldn't be too bad but I've always had more fun on custom servers during holiday events.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 26, 2014

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
My god, this game would be so much better without crits. Why the gently caress weren't they removed years ago? I know this is a day 1 whine, but holy poo poo, they benefit certain classes so much more than others. Soldier, heavy, pyro and demo especially. It's completely anti-fun, whether you get them or get shot by them.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Random crits are the great equalizer.

Always taunt after you kill someone with a random crit.

Wait, scratch that. Always taunt after you kill someone.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

Random crits are the great equalizer.

Always taunt after you kill someone with a random crit.

If you're feeling particularly ballsy, Equalizer taunt after every kill.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Abyssal Squid posted:

If you're feeling particularly ballsy, Equalizer taunt after every kill.

Conga after every kill. Instead of killing yourself immediately, you become useless for several minutes at a time, and you'll probably take half of your team with you.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I was playing on a Valve server a while ago and some pubstar soldier and his medic buddy were stomping all over my team, dominating practically everyone with the medic glued to his rear end. I was in a fight with someone else and shot a crit rocket towards him which missed. Just then the pubstar came around a corner and took the rocket to his face. Then I taunted.

He spent the next five minutes or so raging about how unfair random crits are and how I didn't deserve to taunt after that kill and trying to votekick me. :v:

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

I was playing on a Valve server a while ago and some pubstar soldier and his medic buddy were stomping all over my team, dominating practically everyone with the medic glued to his rear end. I was in a fight with someone else and shot a crit rocket towards him which missed. Just then the pubstar came around a corner and took the rocket to his face. Then I taunted.

He spent the next five minutes or so raging about how unfair random crits are and how I didn't deserve to taunt after that kill and trying to votekick me. :v:

That's when you say "outplayed lol f2p" and taunt some more.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Jusupov posted:

That's when you say "outplayed lol f2p" and taunt some more.

"You should go an see a Proctologist, that's a serious case of butthurt you've got there skippy"

For some reason calling pubstars 'skippy' drives them over the edge.

Pickle dicker
May 25, 2014

by XyloJW

ColHannibal posted:

It has not started yet.

I didn't specify which Halloween event :colbert:

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I just say 'sit' whenever I kill the best player on the enemy team. It makes them really mad.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Didn't crit rockets and stickies used to be even scarier? Like back in those dark ages when people still played Dust Bowl? I have this vague memory that they toned down the splash on them or something.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Didn't crit rockets and stickies used to be even scarier? Like back in those dark ages when people still played Dust Bowl? I have this vague memory that they toned down the splash on them or something.

A crit sticky would literally clear a whole server. Even your own team. In fact it was such a massive explosion it would damage peoples hard drives.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

MrGunner posted:

Okay I wasn't sure about the weapons and how they worked. I remember medic having a crit thing that changed the overcharge to make the person crit 100% and stuff but it's been years since I've played so I wasn't sure if there was a ton of new crazier stuff since then.

Hi I just finished making a site that might be useful to you - https://www.missing.tf - you'll notice right at the top (after you enter in your SteamID) there's a section for non-reskinned weapons. If you click through on a certain weapon, it'll take you to backpack.tf. On that items page on backpack.tf, if you hover over the item icon again, you can click the Wiki link underneath it to read about how it functions. Lots of new weapons since when you last played!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

My god, this game would be so much better without crits. Why the gently caress weren't they removed years ago? I know this is a day 1 whine, but holy poo poo, they benefit certain classes so much more than others. Soldier, heavy, pyro and demo especially. It's completely anti-fun, whether you get them or get shot by them.
Personally I am always for servers with random crits, the shittiness from when I get laser'd to death by a random crit heavy from across the map or whatever is outweighed by the inherent joy in barfing a single loch n' load pill onto a control point and getting like 5 kills for no reason

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I should get some sort of achievement for getting a gunslinger engy to call ME annoying and ragequit on Helltower. (I was an airblasty pyro sending everyone in the chasm)

EDIT: I feel like crits in this game are in for the same reason randomly tripping in Smash Bros Brawl was implemented, so to move the game away from the hardcore serious CoD crowd and into more casual friendly waters.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Why isn't there a cosmetic item that forces you to taunt after every kill yet?

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
So my friend cannot play Mann Up MVM. Every single time, he will "crash" early on Wave 2. The game will just minimize on him and refuse to come back, but he still gets audio and is unable to move or anything.

It is very annoying and he's verified his files. Has anybody heard of anything dumb like this

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Why isn't there a cosmetic item that forces you to taunt after every kill yet?

There is.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
To be entirely clear, it's a problem with TF2 in general - It just makes Mann Up an impossibility because for some reason a pubbie can join the newly-vacated slot in the time it takes me to close the game and start it again. Doesn't joining a Mann Up game in progress sort of invalidate the whole point of the challenge, anyways?

Anyways, I actually can control my character still after the game has entered this minimized limbo, I can click and hear my gun fire and still walk around. But whenever I play TF2 it's just a countdown until the screen goes black, the audio will hitch and loop for about 10 or 15 seconds, then the game minimizes and refuses to come back. I don't even play this stupid game anymore why does it run worse than it did back when I gave a poo poo??

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Man, I am just not able to get gift drops on lakeside_event. I get them on hell_tower, but I want spells dammit.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Gifts are on a timer ain't they? Just play lakeside all day and you're bound to get a few.

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.

Geight posted:

To be entirely clear, it's a problem with TF2 in general - It just makes Mann Up an impossibility because for some reason a pubbie can join the newly-vacated slot in the time it takes me to close the game and start it again. Doesn't joining a Mann Up game in progress sort of invalidate the whole point of the challenge, anyways?

Anyways, I actually can control my character still after the game has entered this minimized limbo, I can click and hear my gun fire and still walk around. But whenever I play TF2 it's just a countdown until the screen goes black, the audio will hitch and loop for about 10 or 15 seconds, then the game minimizes and refuses to come back. I don't even play this stupid game anymore why does it run worse than it did back when I gave a poo poo??

Are you running in fullscreen or windowed mode? Have you tried swapping to the opposite?

If changing to windowed mode fixes your problem, but you prefer running fullscreen, put -sw -w #### -h #### -noborder into your TF2 launch options in Steam, with the #s replaced by your resolution's width and height. It effectively makes the game look like it's running fullscreen but it's actually in a window with the standard window border removed.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I was running windowed with -noborder without any of those other launch options for a long time, and recently I changed to fullscreen in an attempt to fix the issue. I'll try switching things around to see what happens!

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Gifts are apparently on a 3 hour timer. Just hop in a lakeside_event server every 3 hours, collect your gift, then leave.

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

Geight posted:

I was running windowed with -noborder without any of those other launch options for a long time, and recently I changed to fullscreen in an attempt to fix the issue. I'll try switching things around to see what happens!

If that doesn't work for you and you have an Nvidia graphics card, try opening the Nvidia control panel, going to manage 3D settings and turning threaded optimisation to off. That's fixed it for some people, or so I've heard.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
A new thread? :geno:

Here's to a couple more years of bitching about heavys and koth mini sentries.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Zero! posted:

If that doesn't work for you and you have an Nvidia graphics card, try opening the Nvidia control panel, going to manage 3D settings and turning threaded optimisation to off. That's fixed it for some people, or so I've heard.

Cheers, I gave that a shot and I guess I'll find out if it helps!

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I just say 'sit' whenever I kill the best player on the enemy team. It makes them really mad.

:iceburn:

Knyteguy posted:

A new thread? :geno:

Here's to a couple more years of bitching about heavys and koth mini sentries.

Quit tempting the forever-loop of the same ol' complaints. Let's complain about something new - I for one, think we could go a hearty round of whining about, say, the snipers smg. Yeah, that'd be refreshing.

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Quit tempting the forever-loop of the same ol' complaints. Let's complain about something new - I for one, think we could go a hearty round of whining about, say, the snipers smg. Yeah, that'd be refreshing.

I've legitimately had people get angry at me for being a "loving smg sniper" for daring to finish them off at close range with a weapon other than my primary. Not my fault if I'm able to track you as you run at me in a straight line. :clint:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it is actually a little goofy how bad it is

isn't it literally weaker than the pistol at most ranges

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Wait sniper has a secondary other than Jarate/Festive Jarate/Self-Aware Beauty Mark?

edit: give Sniper a weapon that does the Shrapnel thing from DOTA's Sniper.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Zero! posted:

I've legitimately had people get angry at me for being a "loving smg sniper" for daring to finish them off at close range with a weapon other than my primary. Not my fault if I'm able to track you as you run at me in a straight line. :clint:

Truth be told, as soon as I read what I had wrote - I realised I have BARELY used the SMG. I think I might kit up and go Australia S.A.S this halloween to gun some folks down...

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
It's basically the Heavy's Shotgun at this point, useful sometimes but overshadowed by an always useful (and more iconic) option

vvv Crits are great when I get to explode people at random. They suck when people explode me at random. I also despise the Baby Blaster and go Soldier especially to deal with the dreaded groundscouts. Luckily pub Scouts haven't realized that the jumping penalty is super tiny and they still will not jump ever.

Frankly fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 26, 2014

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Tamayachi posted:

EDIT: I feel like crits in this game are in for the same reason randomly tripping in Smash Bros Brawl was implemented, so to move the game away from the hardcore serious CoD crowd and into more casual friendly waters.

There was never any danger of tf2 turning into some po-faced ultra competitive shooter, and I always hate that argument that crits help make the game more casual, if you're doing well you get more crits so it always weighs towards better players. If a bunch of guys go out with the intent to pubstomp crits will be in their favor as the icing on a pretty lovely cake that's ruining other peoples fun.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

You know what? You're right, I need to complain about new exciting things, forget mini-sentries, heavies, huntsmen whatever I realized a while ago that what I really hate fighting against is the baby face's blaster, especially as demoman or another scout.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 26, 2014

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

TF2 question: why does Star sounds like Diabeetus ??

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If you factor in reloading the SMG and pistol are pretty much the same if all the bullets hit. So yeah the SMG is basically worse.

It makes sense though, the sniper isn't meant to be good if he's isolated at close range.

khwarezm posted:

You know what? You're right, I need to complain about new exciting things, forget mini-sentries, heavies, huntsmen whatever I realized a while ago that what I really hate fighting against is the baby face's blaster, especially as demoman or another scout.
I love the BFB, but then again I love anything that makes sticky spammers miserable so

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Personally I would like to take this moment to complain about snipers period. Suddenly dropping dead to a hitscan gun from a dude on the other side of the map is not fun. Seeing dudes on my team play sniper and 90% of the time be absolutely useless is not fun. Sitting around as sniper trying to shoot heads is dumb and feels dumb.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The SMG is pretty useful to follow up after a huntsman bodyshot on low-health classes, at least if you're as bad as me at clicking heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

khwarezm posted:

The babyface blaster fits snugly in my own personal category of 'This weapon is a joke to not be taken seriously - UNTIL IT EXISTS IN THE HANDS OF A COMPETENT PLAYER.'

I see one coming, and I smirk and usually paste the sucker, but now and then.... Yuck. You find someone who has honed their skills to a fine point. :argh:

• Locked thread