Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Silver Striker posted:

I can't even tell what the gently caress you're trying to say anymore.

some of the sidequests are pretty good and some have characters talent trees tied to them, others are boring and make you farm for rare drops or try and work with the game's lovely half baked radiant AI system to find people who only have their quests active for a few hours day, most of the former are locked behind the latter. xenoblade 2 would be a better game if it dropped these bad and unnecessary elements and i'd have more fun being able to play the whole game rather than ignoring good sections of it because they're so badly designed. hope that clears things up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

the wii one is a demo compared to how much content there is in 3U and theres probably another 6 months or so before we get 4U (:negative:) so i say go for it. especially if its 20 dollars

Well unfortunately no drat store seems to carry it anymore to pricematch so I had to order it and probably won't get it till tomorrow. I'm pumped. This better be good bobnumerotres or I'm coming for you, brother.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I ordered a refurbished one from Nintendo this morning. I'm pumped as hell.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

Well unfortunately no drat store seems to carry it anymore to pricematch so I had to order it and probably won't get it till tomorrow. I'm pumped. This better be good bobnumerotres or I'm coming for you, brother.

i can rush you through the start of the game with my g rank gear if you want :banjo:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

i can rush you through the start of the game with my g rank gear if you want :banjo:

I appreciate the offer. While I may not accept your charity I will gladly Hunt with you. Is there a friends list or equivalent? The only online I've done with Wii U is Mario Kart with randoms.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

A Steampunk Gent posted:

some of the sidequests are pretty good and some have characters talent trees tied to them, others are boring and make you farm for rare drops or try and work with the game's lovely half baked radiant AI system to find people who only have their quests active for a few hours day, most of the former are locked behind the latter. xenoblade 2 would be a better game if it dropped these bad and unnecessary elements and i'd have more fun being able to play the whole game rather than ignoring good sections of it because they're so badly designed. hope that clears things up!

Yes this what I was trying to get at.

I don't mind occasional fetch quests, but some of them are beyond the point of reasonableness. Collect 10 items, only that the items show up in one spot of the map at dawn, and even then there's only a 10% chance they'll spawn. Do that thousands of times and hope it finally shows up!

Hey, don't worry you can trade for it. Oh wait, your area affinity isn't level 5 yet? Better do some more quests!

Saying the "sidequests are optional so don't do them if you don't want to" is a bullshit argument. I play games to have fun and be challenged. Collecting things with a random chance of dropping is neither fun nor challenging.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

seiferguy posted:

Yes this what I was trying to get at.

I don't mind occasional fetch quests, but some of them are beyond the point of reasonableness. Collect 10 items, only that the items show up in one spot of the map at dawn, and even then there's only a 10% chance they'll spawn. Do that thousands of times and hope it finally shows up!

Hey, don't worry you can trade for it. Oh wait, your area affinity isn't level 5 yet? Better do some more quests!

Saying the "sidequests are optional so don't do them if you don't want to" is a bullshit argument. I play games to have fun and be challenged. Collecting things with a random chance of dropping is neither fun nor challenging.

Then don't do the quests. This is a simple solution.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

I appreciate the offer. While I may not accept your charity I will gladly Hunt with you. Is there a friends list or equivalent? The only online I've done with Wii U is Mario Kart with randoms.

when you boot up the game you can talk to an NPC to connect to online servers, and theres an ingame friendlist. i wonder how many imps would be down for some MH

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Silver Striker posted:

Yes then I lose out on the skill trees and good equipment. That's a lovely solution.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I am still hoping for a Crunchyroll App; until then I must use my PS3.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I am looking forward to 2015 regardless.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Silver Striker posted:

hi, i like xenoblade a lot too, but just because you can ignore the fetch quests and still reach the credits doesn't mean it isn't bad design.

it would be one thing if the only purpose of the quests was for bonus exp, like the ones in dragon's dogma, but there are actual cool rewards like skill trees and weapons that require you to do almost all of these quests. they are unnecessary padding for those rewards. the only quests that should raise area affinity are the cool ones like the nopon drug ring imo

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I did over 300 sidequests in Xenoblade on a single playthrough just to get the achievement. 300 was the highest but I wound up having to do more in order to unlock everyone's skill trees and to have 5 star affinity for all the areas.

the collect ones can be a real pain in the rear end and the only way to fill out the collectapedia is to have 5 star affinity for some areas in order to get the items on the secret page. The Love Potion is a pain in the rear end because you need to kill one of the high level secret bosses to get the only item worth enough to trade for it. However you also need the skills from Riki in order to reduce the dollar amount needed in order to make it tradeable in the first place. You also need 5 star affinity for Colony 6

Also you need a second love potion so you gotta be max level in order to kill one the boss guys twice. Yeah some people can cheese it but it's very situational and you gotta be lucky with all the attacks lining up properly in the first place.

Quest tracking is real lovely in Xenoblade because having stuff available at specific hours with no notification made poo poo a ton of guess work. Also never clearly marking the quest target or objectives on the world map and just having it show up when you were close enough on the minimap.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 1, 2014

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Or ... *record scratch*

You could just not do any of that. :smug:

*slips on sunglasses*

*slides over hood of car*

*peels the gently caress out*

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

codenameFANGIO posted:

Or ... *record scratch*

You could just not do any of that. :smug:

*slips on sunglasses*

*slides over hood of car*

*peels the gently caress out*

Yeah you could not do any of that, but bad game design is when you're playing the game and having to ignore a large part of the game when it's considered not that fun.

Mind you without doing quests it's a pain in the rear end to grind affinity to unlock the heart to heart events. And without affinity from quests you can't unlock the party tree abilities in a timely fashion.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yeah you could not do any of that, but bad game design is when you're playing the game and having to ignore a large part of the game when it's considered not that fun.

Mind you without doing quests it's a pain in the rear end to grind affinity to unlock the heart to heart events.

:geno:

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Pull out soldier! Do not engage the Taint Reaper! It's hopeless!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The irony of videogames is that you best enjoy them when you learn to ignore anything that's not fun because 100% completion is stupid, but by the time you realize this you're grown up and don't have time for videogames.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
taintr eaped again

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

The irony of videogames is that you best enjoy them when you learn to ignore anything that's not fun because 100% completion is stupid, but by the time you realize this you're grown up and don't have time for videogames.

also just have more videogames to play these days

im not a little kid waiting for christmas till i get my next game so im trying to suck the life out of DKC2 until then, i have a major backlog im going to ignore to replay diablo 2 like a loving well-adjusted adult

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Hey I'm your friend's older brother who you thought was really cool when you were a kid. Buy a freakin Wii U, idiot.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Hey I'm your friend's older brother who you thought was really cool when you were a kid. Buy a freakin Wii U, idiot.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Mercury Crusader posted:

taintr eaped again

Good lord. I'm not even safe in my own threads. What a hosed up world we live in.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Silver Striker posted:

Good lord. I'm not even safe in my own threads. What a hosed up world we live in.

Protect your taint. Buy a Wii U.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i love imp zone but constantly guarding my taint is a chore

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

If you're in the UK, shopto has a load of discounted games. I got New SMB U and Wii Party for about £12.70 each, and Sonic Lost World for £15.

It's weird since you still see the original DS NSMB for £30, and that's been out for a decade. The only discount it's gotten is from inflation.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

also just have more videogames to play these days

im not a little kid waiting for christmas till i get my next game so im trying to suck the life out of DKC2 until then, i have a major backlog im going to ignore to replay diablo 2 like a loving well-adjusted adult

You have quite a treasure there in that 14 year old arpg.

Dec 26, 2012

Dexters Secret posted:

Pull out soldier! Do not engage the Taint Reaper! It's hopeless!

why would you bother engaging him when he's very much right in this case

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
mad lols at people criticizing jrpgs for busywork sidequests

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I ordered a refurbished one from Nintendo this morning. I'm pumped as hell.

i hope my thread raised awareness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
My copy of Bayonetta 2 arrived today, but my Wii U still has like a week to get here and now I wish I'd just driven to a store instead of ordering it.

• Locked thread