Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Mike_V posted:

I still like the show well enough, but it feels different in not a great way. Did they lose writers in the shift from Fox to TBS?

It feels the same as it did before it left to me. If anything there was a drop in quality a couple seasons ago. Basically I think each episode has 20% fewer jokes in it now. Still though I think it's a good show and they're doing a good job keeping it fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yup, see my previous post...

Does nobody watch this show anymore? We haven't even hit 5 pages yet.

It happens to every show that moves to TBS. Cougar Town used to have threads.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SunshineDanceParty posted:

It happens to every show that moves to TBS. Cougar Town used to have threads.

I also don't think it helped at all that there was a nearly 3 month interim between episodes.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I still look forward to new episodes of American Dad but it's not like there's usually too much to say about each episode either.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Andrew_1985 posted:

I really liked the episode. It's rare to see Francine/Steve fight, so it was pretty amusing. Morning Mimmosa was also great. The Stan subplot didn't realy work for me though.

How can you not love the scene of him paddling through the grocery store in a cart with a broom while narrating his experience as the last man on earth?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I loved the Morning Mimosas section, although it kinda fell a bit flat at the end when it all just descended into chaos. Were Roger and Hayley doing anything this week? I can't remember.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

I loved the Morning Mimosas section, although it kinda fell a bit flat at the end when it all just descended into chaos. Were Roger and Hayley doing anything this week? I can't remember.

Not really.

This season's B plots have all been terrible aside from the one where Roger learns the guitar (which might have been last season and also the A plot)

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
What's being less censored now?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The B plot of Roger owning that roller rink was pretty great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

What's being less censored now?

The most noticeable difference is that they can say "poo poo" without being bleeped. Other than that I'm not sure how much more leeway they could get with the plots seeing as when it was on Fox they did a ton of stuff.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's just the profanity I think.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think the entire concept of this episode was making fun of that Today Show segment where Kathy Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb talk and drink wine for an hour.

Wait, that's a real thing that happens on national television.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Real issues with the flow are associated to the jammed in before credits stinger. You either make it not count (and then you lose 2 minutes of the plot) or you basically have to pause everything for the credit roll and post credit commercials. Its a terrible decision on TBS's part and I wish they hadn't mandated it.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yup, see my previous post...

Does nobody watch this show anymore? We haven't even hit 5 pages yet.

Dunno if this is just my experience but I keep forgetting it's on Mondays. I end up catching it when it hits Adult Swim.

Also, thanks to Ted Turner's array of networks, American Dad is on EIGHT times per weekday: four on TBS in the afternoon, two on Adult Swim, and two on Peachtree (ch.17 Atlanta) at midnight. It's crazy.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Tune in next week for an edgier episode of American Dad!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

muscles like this? posted:

The most noticeable difference is that they can say "poo poo" without being bleeped. Other than that I'm not sure how much more leeway they could get with the plots seeing as when it was on Fox they did a ton of stuff.

That's hardly 50%. Unless there were literally only two things they couldn't do on Fox and profanity was one of them

Mike_V posted:

Tune in next week for an edgier episode of American Dad!

Yeah, I'll believe that when they do an episode that tops the Family Guy episode about Quagmire's sister getting domestic abused.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I just think it's funny that they play it every week, as if each episode is going to get progressively more edgy.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Finally got around to watching this episode, and I have to say I'm really disappointed. There were a few haha moments, the Snake Bite bit was hilarious, but that ending. The Stan B plot didn't help move things or pace or distract from the A plot, and the whole thing felt generally poor. I've enjoyed every other episode this season, but this one just felt different. Like there is a formula to American Dad, someone outlined it perfectly in the previous thread, where it starts off fairly banal and then builds to completely absurd by the end, while mixing both plots fairly well. This episode felt like it didn't hit any of the right beats for that formula.

The quality in general just .. fell off, and I'm not sure where it was going. The Haley is an invalid bits seemed designed to poke the "you need mommy" stuff right in the eye, only to have that thought get ignored like Toshi walking away from his phone. Like seriously, where the gently caress did Toshi go, and why?

Also the fact that they had Avery have only one and a half lines in the episode is downright criminal. Almost disrespectful. He didn't even have a joke, a punch line, anything. It was like TBS was saying "Hey, Stewart! You work for US now, Bitch! We don't have anything for you to do, but you work for us now!"

I thought they had a season or two of un-aired episodes from previous seasons that they could build with?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, I'll believe that when they do an episode that tops the Family Guy episode about Quagmire's sister getting domestic abused.

Part of the reason this is a better show and why I like it better is because even at its meanest American Dad never seemed to actively hate its characters with the vitriol that Family Guy does.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you

I have to disagree with a lot of your points. Things did get pretty ridiculous at the end with a small audience army of crazy drunk women out to kill Steve for not cooking chicken. It didn't reach a fantasy point but it was still pretty nuts. Maybe it would have helped if we hadn't already seen the audience go loco at the beginning. I thought the Stan B plot was fine. It was short, although I think they put just enough in without it dragging out. I loved the little connection at the end with Greg and Terry. It was definitely more low key then usual but still very funny.

I thought Toshi putting the phone down and walking away was hilarious! Exactly the kind of thing he would do.

The Haley part was kind of annoying, especially when she had to do a baby voice. Francine breaking the syrup bottle open and dumping the whole thing on her pancakes was great though, and so was Haley's expression during that part.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

My Q-Face posted:

Also the fact that they had Avery have only one and a half lines in the episode is downright criminal. Almost disrespectful. He didn't even have a joke, a punch line, anything. It was like TBS was saying "Hey, Stewart! You work for US now, Bitch! We don't have anything for you to do, but you work for us now!"

This is insane. Sometimes characters don't show up in episodes, and that's okay. Is every episode without Principal Lewis disrespectful to Kevin Michael Richardson?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, what if they just couldn't get Patrick Stewart in for many lines due scheduling reasons or something?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Last Chance posted:

Yeah, what if they just couldn't get Patrick Stewart in for many lines due scheduling reasons or something?

It was my understanding that they get people like Stewart to record their lines for several episodes well in advance.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I hate Steve episodes, so this has not been a good month for me.

Steve is like the Meg of American Dad.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

It was my understanding that they get people like Stewart to record their lines for several episodes well in advance.

I don't know maybe something else then, what do you want from me? My point is that it's unlikely that TBS was hostile to Stewart in some way like that guy described in his fantasy meeting between the two

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

Irish Joe posted:

except not at all :confused:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Last Chance posted:

I don't know maybe something else then, what do you want from me? My point is that it's unlikely that TBS was hostile to Stewart in some way like that guy described in his fantasy meeting between the two

Um, okay?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Irish Joe posted:

...says someone who has probably not seen In Country Club or 1600 Candles or that episode where Steve writes a best-selling book about Roger & becomes a huge douche. :colbert:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Yeah, or any episode with Wheels & the Legman or With Friends Like Steve's (unmedicated Barry is an evil mastermind voiced by Craig Ferguson) or Boyz 12 or Bar Mitzvah Hustle or Escape from Pearl Bailey (awesome The Warriors homage) or Bully for Steve (STELIO KONTOS) or Why Can't We Be Friends? where Steve and Snot air guitar to Joe Satriani or... I could keep going.

The point is look how wrong Irish Joe is.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Yeah, even if you don't like him you can't possibly argue Steve episodes strike out as much as Meg episodes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I will never stop loving every single "Mommy, no!"

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I think Steve suffers the most from the frozen in time aspect of the show, how many times now has he reconnected with Stan or learned to be a man or almost lost his virginity.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

socialsecurity posted:

I think Steve suffers the most from the frozen in time aspect of the show, how many times now has he reconnected with Stan or learned to be a man or almost lost his virginity.

And I think he's turned 14 three times.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You know, Roger is right, Hayley is also married.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Come to think of it every time I check Belize is always in a different location than where I pictured it in my head

EDIT: Of course the wife is Roger.

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 10, 2015

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Oh... that's great.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

DarklyDreaming posted:

EDIT: Of course the wife is Roger.

Eventually, everybody will be Roger.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Clearly I have a type :v:

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Mister Kingdom posted:

Eventually, everybody will be Roger.

There's a strong possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
That should happen to every Nissan Cube.