Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

...so I guess this is how I'm finding out they're doing a Catch-22 series with Clooney as Scheisskopf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Brawnfire posted:

Me too, but I worry about it getting throttled to death by weird airtimes

I kinda feel like most of this show's viewership isn't watching live anymore. Everyone I know watches it mainly on Hulu, which isn't affected one way or the other.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BexGu posted:

What are you talking about? Barry screwed over Principle Louse after he made fun of him so he got shot in the arm. And then he pushed his finger in the bullet hole!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuYsZKobxUk

the entire joke of that is that it's insanely out of character for Barry

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

twistedmentat posted:

There is no way to tell which family member that butt plug belongs to.

Roger is the most obvious answer, I feel like

also does this pretty much confirm we're gonna get more Rogu? because Rogu is loving hilarious

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Party Plane Jones posted:

What is their hard on for involving Tuttle this season? I swear he’s been in at least half the episodes

He's basically the peripheral character who can fit into the most plots. He's got an obvious connection to Stan, he's neighbors with the family, and when he sneaks into a non-Stan plot, his involvement works as a joke in and of itself since none of the other Smiths really know him very well.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also at this point I feel like Tuttle showing up in the most random-rear end places is just a running gag.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

limp_cheese posted:

I don't want to laugh at how pathetic he is but god drat, every time I think he's hit rock bottom I realize there is not bottom for him.

I honestly feel like that's kind of an informed attribute, though. Like, everyone treats Klaus like he's a pile of poo poo in fish form, but... he doesn't really actually do much, and when he does get a rare opportunity to do something he's not really any worse than the rest of the cast. It kind of just feels like the universe hates him for no reason.

I've gathered that that's :thejoke:, even, so I'm kind of surprised to see this.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 24, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

drrockso20 posted:

I've said it before but honestly that's the part I hate the most about the show, what I would give for an animated sitcom that actually maintained a consistent and tight continuity, especially if it had minimum "Status Quo Is God" endings to it's episodes

I feel like AD's actually in a really good place with this; they don't maintain a strict continuity that might box them into a corner, but they're willing to bring up previous episodes and have things change whenever it'd be funnier to do so.

e: Like, if they'd maintained strict continuity, they couldn't have done the hot tub episode, for example.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
for some reason adult-sized people acting like infants horrifies the gently caress out of me on some primal level, so this is sounding like it's gonna be kind of a disturbing one

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TheFattestPat posted:

It's like a comic book, no one ever truly dies.

Didn't Sky Crooner die?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like if anything they've been kind of underusing Rogu. I've been expecting a full-on Rogu episode but it's just been quick little jokes so far.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah you don’t get to be the straight man AND a street-wise koala assassin with a heart of gold.

I feel like that's kind of the joke of Reginald, though. His personality (which enables the straight-man bits) is totally at odds with the person he is in every other way.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like there's a lot of people that haven't internalized that Disney is a very loving weird and dirty corporation.

Like, I wouldn't be surprised if the FG Disney jokes result in MacFarlane getting some kind of major blowback now, up to and including "all of his shows mysteriously get cancelled and 'Fox' suddenly doesn't want to work with him on anything."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bust Rodd posted:

Where are you guys getting this petty and vindictive corporate persona from? When has Disney ever tanked anything that could have made them a shitload of money besides the James Gunn thing?

Go read DisneyWar and come back, they're a loving nasty company.

If FG is actually still bringing in cash, it's probably safe-ish, but... that's also kind of an assumption, and if it's not they're going to terminate with extreme prejudice.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Here's a great example of Disney just being weird, petty dicks for literally no reason:

(content warning: it's about a dead kid and there's some pics of him in the hospital at the end)

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9441452/disney-spider-man-dad-headstone-ollie-jones/

They would literally gently caress over the parents of a deceased toddler in order to preserve their brand image, MacFarlane is boned

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

First episode that really feels the lack of Patrick Stewart.

Wait, Bullock's gone?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like AD makes enough from syndication and streaming that they won't mess with it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

angerbeet posted:

Episodes will as always be released on a schedule we were given by an insane monk who lives in a wine barrel in the studio basement.

Honestly, would any other schedule be as fitting?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
American Fung is loving hilarious

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hazo posted:

Untrue. Stan has become significantly less chud-y since the show began. It's actually pretty jarring to watch early episodes with Seth's original concept for Stan.

nah, Stan's still a gigantic chud, it's just funnier now because they've figured out how to write that in a way that feels genuinely absurd even in hellworld

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

limp_cheese posted:

I'm pretty sure there is still a rule against showing people smoking weed on TV. Unless you're talking about like HBO eveeytime someone takes a hit of weed they always cut away. The vaping thing might be new enough they still are unsure about whether they will be fined for showing it.

They've directly shown Hayley and Jeff smoking weed, I'm pretty sure.

e: Realistically, I think it's more a pacing thing. You don't linger on a character smoking weed because it's kind of a time-consuming action, it's boring to watch, and it's hard to directly make a joke out of; it works as a background action while another character is doing stuff, or if the active joke is "this character is going through their boring routine," but otherwise cutting away is just straight-up the best option. Also, smoke is a bitch to animate.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So I'm catching up on this season, and... does anyone else feel like Roger was kind of handled weirdly in the Weeknd episode?

Like, he's doing a bit in it, but he doesn't commit to it nearly as hard as usual; like, he's adopted the mannerisms and dress of one of his personas, but is still identifying as, and is being treated as, Roger. It felt like a weird halfway point they don't typically do with him; he's usually either just his flamboyant alien self, or he's going all-the-way on a bit, with the other family members at least humoring him.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mordja posted:

Francine has got to be the greatest animated sitcom wife. She's just so weird.

i feel like Marge Simpson is kind of the well from which all weird animated sitcom wives spring from, so she automatically takes that

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

drrockso20 posted:

and Archer fell apart during that cocaine season and never recovered

honestly, I was one of the "RAARGH ARCHER IS DEAD TO ME" people, but I went back and watched some of the newer stuff and... show's still totally fine.

like, Vice and Dreamland are bad seasons, but they're more speedbumps than shark-jumping moments at the end of the day; after Vice comes 6 and 7 which are both great, and after Dreamland comes Danger Island and the space season, which are both hilarious. the new season will probably, also, be fine.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PostNouveau posted:

Did the creator come back for it or did he the show leave as planned?

It's hard to imagine the show without the singular voice of the guy who wrote it all, but at the same time, maybe a fresh perspective will help it.

afaik Adam Reed's still on it, but this is the last season.

e: huh, no, he stepped down from being full-time showrunner after 1999 and didn't write all the episodes of that season. Given 1999 was a great season, I think that's a good sign that the new blood gets it. I think the show's ending after 11 regardless, but I'm no longer entirely sure.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 29, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

limp_cheese posted:

This episode Sky Crooner was really sounding like Dr. Rockso the Rock and Roll Clown.

Same VA, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

drrockso20 posted:

since they couldn't put him in another body

...I've actually always been curious about this, because they've used the idea for jokes multiple times, but it always seems to be with the assumption that they have to maintain status quo and make him a fish again by the end. Like, to the point where characters are basically making meta jokes about how he's not allowed to be anything other than a fish.

It would make a little sense if they're locked into it because the show's reran out-of-order and they're not supposed to do Continuity Things, but... they've had long-term continuity before, with stuff like Jeff getting abducted by aliens and the Christmas episodes, so that's clearly not why. Given they clearly have a lot of trouble making him work as a goldfish, you'd think they'd have turned him into a gorilla or a koala or something by now.