Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Finally got around to watching this episode, and I have to say I'm really disappointed. There were a few haha moments, the Snake Bite bit was hilarious, but that ending. The Stan B plot didn't help move things or pace or distract from the A plot, and the whole thing felt generally poor. I've enjoyed every other episode this season, but this one just felt different. Like there is a formula to American Dad, someone outlined it perfectly in the previous thread, where it starts off fairly banal and then builds to completely absurd by the end, while mixing both plots fairly well. This episode felt like it didn't hit any of the right beats for that formula.

The quality in general just .. fell off, and I'm not sure where it was going. The Haley is an invalid bits seemed designed to poke the "you need mommy" stuff right in the eye, only to have that thought get ignored like Toshi walking away from his phone. Like seriously, where the gently caress did Toshi go, and why?

Also the fact that they had Avery have only one and a half lines in the episode is downright criminal. Almost disrespectful. He didn't even have a joke, a punch line, anything. It was like TBS was saying "Hey, Stewart! You work for US now, Bitch! We don't have anything for you to do, but you work for us now!"

I thought they had a season or two of un-aired episodes from previous seasons that they could build with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

YeahTubaMike posted:

This is insane. Sometimes characters don't show up in episodes, and that's okay. Is every episode without Principal Lewis disrespectful to Kevin Michael Richardson?

He did show up. And he had half a line and not even a joke or a punchline. There was an Avery Bullock joke in there (A chair without an erection), but it wasn't Stewart making it. It's not disrespectful to an actor if he's not in the episode at all, it's kind of lovely to have him in for what equates to nothing. And it's not a matter of scheduling, they schedule voice actors for blocks so they can do multiple readings, so it's not like he popped down to the studio but he could only read one line that day. The only other reason to pull something like that was to assure us as the audience that yes, Patrick Stewart is still on board with American Dad on TBS.

Anyway, this week was a much better episode. I hate to say because it was more formulaic, so maybe just because it's a Roger/Klaus/Hayley episode? It built up so well from slight to over the top.

The B plot was thin but it did had some great lines.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

muscles like this? posted:

Hope someone eventually points out that that is not how awards work.

It is if it's a raffle or door prize.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

The Nastier Nate posted:

Family Guy dark.

FTFY.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

The Nastier Nate posted:

This was a great payoff to the hamster plot, but otherwise a so-so episode. I think Morning Mimosa is my favorite so far of the TBS season.

But Manhattan Magical Murder Mystery Tour was this season, and that one was so much better than Morning Mimosa.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

You Are A Elf posted:

Then again, I also think Blood Crieth Unto Heaven was just unnecessarily dumb and boring while the Internet raves about it. Oh, goody, a straightforward homage (parody?) to August: Osage County presented at a local community theater level. How exciting :geno:

Blood Crieth Unto Heaven was good because it was bookended by "Patrick Stewart, Actor", and because homage or parody of August: Osage county, it was wrapped around and delivered on pre-existing AD stories.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

FML indeed!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

That was terrible. It was a very very padded half-story directed by somebody who thinks AD is an action version of Family Guy. It really felt like they only had enough material for ten minutes and felt like they had to force the A and B plots together. It also felt like the writers only had a superficial idea of how Roger works. The only really funny part of that gag was the reveal of his twin brother, but even that ended up being low energy.

I thought the show had enough pre-written material for at least another full season?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

drrockso20 posted:

A lot of these episodes were apparently based on old unused scripts and ideas from earlier seasons(explains pretty much everything about American Fung), which might be why they got rid of Jeff for a while, as most of them would have been from before he became a main character

But Jeff was a secondary character in the first season, when Hailey dumped him for Bullock.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Yeah, this was pure American Dad.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Which episode is it where Stan gets drunk and goes into the attic to talk to Roger and Roger is like "I knew this day would come."? I've seen it once, years ago, and some goon used to have that moment as his avatar, but a Google search is fruitless and it doesn't show up in any compilations on YouTube.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Oh good, I'm just his secretary.

That was the best part of an otherwise unsatisfying episode.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

I fell asleep before it came on, do they replay the new episodes on CN later in the week?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

After years of enjoying this show, I was watching AD with my GF and she pointed out to me that Curtis Armstrong, "Booger" from "Revenge of the Nerds", plays Snot, which I knew. Then suddenly I put two and two together. :vince:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

drrockso20 posted:

That's an exception to the rules, and even that one gets things wrong

:spergin: really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Jubs posted:

Steve beat his dad in a football game, but in this episode, he doesn't know what a football looks like.

Not to mention all the "now you're a man" coming of age stories they lampshaded with Stan forgetting them when Steve said "what about that time I x, and also x".