Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'll probably move in and out on attachments. Also I was going to talk about them next update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Giant eyebrows for everyone. How is this even up for debate?

Also, everyone must have a different item perched on their head.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

How's the brightness/saturation look?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Better, although it still seems a bit desaturated.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

wdarkk posted:

I'll probably move in and out on attachments. Also I was going to talk about them next update.

You better keep Aviators on Some Guy and never ever take them off :colbert:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Better, although it still seems a bit desaturated.

Whoops I was adjusting Sharpness instead of Saturation :downs:

OneDeadman posted:

You better keep Aviators on Some Guy and never ever take them off :colbert:

I'm pretty sure I can actually do that without messing anything up. They look that good on him.

EDIT:

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 27, 2014

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
That might be too dark still, here's an image editing trick though: knock an image back to grayscale to see if its working. Humans see value before we see color, so if it works in grayscale it will be fine no matter what. This is probably as far as you'd want to push it.

Anyways, Xillia. This was actually my first Tales game and it's my favorite! Even after going back to play vesperia and graces I like this one and the sequel the best.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Not seeing a lot of difference in that shot compared to the previous. See if you can get the blue-ish parts of his coat closer to my shot.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Color correction is a big deal so I'm probably not going to go much further than that.

EDIT: Man, compression smashed his face there.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Jude being a doctor at 15 is still hilarious

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

ZenVulgarity posted:

He's actually just a student practitioner, but I suppose magic makes things much easier than the real world.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenVulgarity posted:

He's not. He's a student.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

AfroSquirrel posted:

Also, everyone must have a different item perched on their head.

I forget, can you get the Sophie plush from Graces in this game?

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Endorph posted:

Honestly, I like this game a lot more than Vesperia, even in an objective way. It's basically impossible to go back to Vesperia's slow as gently caress combat after Graces, and while this isn't as fast as Graces, it definitely isn't sluggish either. And plot-wise it blows Graces out of the water, not that that's hard to do.

This game starts out stronger than Graces and then turns to boring garbage in an alarmingly short amount of time, and while the combat's fun I'm biased because the special system I won't spoil for the LP basically ruins co-op completely, I'll just elaborate later.

Oh and don't forget the constant BAZONGAS talk. Ugh, that poo poo gets old fast.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Endorph posted:

He's not. He's a student.

Even being a student doctor person is hilarious.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenVulgarity posted:

Eh, it's random fantasy vaguely medieval esque, 15 for a medical student is believable in those circumstances.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Without spoiling anything they actually go into this and justify it, which is one of the few good things I'll say for this game's plot.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

bathroomrage posted:

This game starts out stronger than Graces and then turns to boring garbage in an alarmingly short amount of time, and while the combat's fun I'm biased because the special system I won't spoil for the LP basically ruins co-op completely, I'll just elaborate later.

Oh and don't forget the constant BAZONGAS talk. Ugh, that poo poo gets old fast.

That happens twice in skits.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

Honestly, I like this game a lot more than Vesperia, even in an objective way. It's basically impossible to go back to Vesperia's slow as gently caress combat after Graces, and while this isn't as fast as Graces, it definitely isn't sluggish either. And plot-wise it blows Graces out of the water, not that that's hard to do.

:agreed:

it's hard to notice without going back to Vesperia, but holy moly is the battle system faster in this. it's by far the most fun of the 3d games that use TP, it's pretty hard to go back to the earlier ones after this

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I like Jude a lot more than I liked Asbel. Jude has some interesting moments later on, while Asbel's my go-to guy for 'Generic RPG Protagonist'. Plus, the fact that Jude's an RPG protagonist who's a medic who also punches things to death is a lot more interesting than any number of sword-weilding kids.

He's not as boring as Asbel, I just mean that the series really wasn't hurting for young protagonists having coming of age stories like this, so Jude being yet another one just turned me off immediately. We already have an interesting main character with Milla too, so having so much focus on Jude didn't appeal to me.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Momomo posted:

He's not as boring as Asbel, I just mean that the series really wasn't hurting for young protagonists having coming of age stories like this, so Jude being yet another one just turned me off immediately. We already have an interesting main character with Milla too, so having so much focus on Jude didn't appeal to me.

This is why you play as Milla and pick up the stuff that happens on Jude's side only from skits. This also means you have the bare minimum of fights where you can't be Milla, who is the best.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

bathroomrage posted:

and while the combat's fun I'm biased because the special system I won't spoil for the LP basically ruins co-op completely, I'll just elaborate later.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about, and it single-handedly made Xillia my least favorite Tales game (since I play those with my brother). We actually didn't finish it, and we managed to survive Graces. :(

Didn't like the plot either, but maybe that'll change, watching it at a safe distance. That'll be your new challenge, wdarkk, prove us wrong. :colbert: And for what it's worth I do agree Milla is one of the best Tales leads. Her being better than Yuri is fightin' words, but she's definitely top 3.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Almost everything about Jude can be summed up in "What if Doogie Howser knew kung fu?"

Edit: Geez, that was 1989. Uh, s'up 30+ year-old goons?

Wayne fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 28, 2014

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Wayne posted:

Almost everything about Jude can be summed up in "What if Doogie Howser knew kung fu?"

I'm sold! Thread bookmarked, bring on the updates. :allears:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Feinne posted:

This is why you play as Milla and pick up the stuff that happens on Jude's side only from skits. This also means you have the bare minimum of fights where you can't be Milla, who is the best.

This is what I did, thought brings some head scratching implications later on if you never touch Jude's story, but that's for another day.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
I'm going into this LP blind, with utterly no idea what goes on in this, and I gotta say, I *am* pretty interested in a shortstack, male protagonist for a Tales game who isn't just another swordsman, but a fisticuffs medic.

...Although, I gotta be honest, I wish the gently caress he had a different design. Is this, what, the third game in a row where the hero wears a showy surcoat and basically dresses in a single or par of colors (not counting trim?) Yuri, Asbel, and Jude all look like they go to the same outfitter, and only one eschews the same barber...

I mean, I'm not demanding that the hero starts looking like Gourry Gabriev again, but they could do better than this, I feel.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Always been interested in this games since I been liking the last few Tales games like the ones that been LPed, they seem more fun than the ones we been getting from FF as of late.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Well the last generation of consoles hasn't been kind to Final Fantasy, to put it lightly.
Shame my brother took the PS3 to college, or I would totally play along. Time to live vicariously through this LP I suppose.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Wayne posted:

Yeah, I know what you're talking about, and it single-handedly made Xillia my least favorite Tales game (since I play those with my brother). We actually didn't finish it, and we managed to survive Graces. :(

Didn't like the plot either, but maybe that'll change, watching it at a safe distance. That'll be your new challenge, wdarkk, prove us wrong. :colbert: And for what it's worth I do agree Milla is one of the best Tales leads. Her being better than Yuri is fightin' words, but she's definitely top 3.

Edward_Tohr, a mutual friend and I couldn't finish it either. :( Between the way things just slow right to a loving crawl(literally) and stay there for hours and the constant bazonga talk(whoever said it only happens twice and only in skits is a liar), it just killed us and we haven't played a co-op Tales game since.

Milla is pretty great, though, she's basically Lightning only done well.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

The only issue I have with Xillia is the lack of Indignation.

A friend was watching me play through Xillia, and got her interested in the Tales series, so we're currently playing through Symphonia (Lost count how many times I've beaten ToS). The combat is so freaking slow to me now. Strange thing is, I remember it feeling lightning fast playing as Lloyd or Sheena, but compared to Xillia's combat, it's a snail's pace.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
I agree with the sentiments of Some Guy being pretty cool. The Old Man is too, for reasons.

Also, will any of the DLC stuffs be involved at all?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

akkristor posted:

A friend was watching me play through Xillia, and got her interested in the Tales series, so we're currently playing through Symphonia (Lost count how many times I've beaten ToS). The combat is so freaking slow to me now. Strange thing is, I remember it feeling lightning fast playing as Lloyd or Sheena, but compared to Xillia's combat, it's a snail's pace.

I went back to Symphonia after Graces and a few hours with this and the thing that killed me was the inability to move in three dimensions. You never realise how much you rely on it until you're unable to do it anymore. The entire time, I just kept thinking how I could've avoided all that damage if I'd been able to sidestep or flank the enemy.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

TKMobile posted:

I'm going into this LP blind, with utterly no idea what goes on in this, and I gotta say, I *am* pretty interested in a shortstack, male protagonist for a Tales game who isn't just another swordsman, but a fisticuffs medic.

...Although, I gotta be honest, I wish the gently caress he had a different design. Is this, what, the third game in a row where the hero wears a showy surcoat and basically dresses in a single or par of colors (not counting trim?) Yuri, Asbel, and Jude all look like they go to the same outfitter, and only one eschews the same barber...

I mean, I'm not demanding that the hero starts looking like Gourry Gabriev again, but they could do better than this, I feel.

Kosuke Fujishima (the guy who designed Jude) really likes overcoats. They're in a lot of his stuff and designs.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Yes, yes, Belldandy herself has a variant and all the Sakura Taisen characters wear them. It's really time to move on...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh wow, a Tales of Xillia LP already. Great! Can't wait till we get out of Fennmont and it gets brighter though.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
So I suspect nature abhors LPs of this game, because my efforts to record the first bit have been thwarted all night by various bullshit things forcing me to scrap recordings.

I don't surrender to terrorism, though, so time to give it another go.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wdarkk posted:

It's not that. Don't even try to figure out the physics of spirit climes.

As to the darkness, I thought it was just Fennmont being Fennmont but I can mess with the settings next time I record.

It's been a while since I played, but if I recall right the Spirit Climes can best be summed up as "regular weather with weird hotspots". Most places they talk about having regular seasons, but there's a few odd places like Fennmont that certain spirits are just naturally drawn to and screw with it in some way as a result (in Fennmont's case, constant night).

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Kosuke Fujishima (the guy who designed Jude) really likes overcoats. They're in a lot of his stuff and designs.

To be fair, it's technically not a mindless "I wear this, just because" outfit for Jude like some JRPG protagonists either. He took it off to do hospital work and it's probably just useful because it's chilly in town due to the clime.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 30, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I was really impressed by this game when I first started playing. I bought this and Graces F together in a $60 bundle and found Graces absolutely insufferable after 12 hours. I was despairing and loaded this up and basically thought this game was tits in like, the first half hour.

I need to go back to playing it, actually. I think I deleted it to make room for Okami HD on my PS3 memory.

...Okami HD is really good though.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Feinne posted:

So I suspect nature abhors LPs of this game, because my efforts to record the first bit have been thwarted all night by various bullshit things forcing me to scrap recordings.

I don't surrender to terrorism, though, so time to give it another go.

If you didn't have those same problems when recording your LP's of Qoga and Neptunia, then Nature must be one demented bitch.

(Also, will you eventually get the Viddler-only videos from your previous LP's uploaded to youtube)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 30, 2014

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

akkristor posted:

:agreed:
I understand why Milla doesn't have it, but you'd think they'd give it to one of the other offensive casters. Old Man in particular is perfect for an ye olde "This ends now" incantation. A Tales game without Indignation feels wrong somehow.

As for combat roles, I feel every character is a fusion between two archetypes. Jude is kung-fu guy crossed with healer, while Milla is a swordswoman / offensive caster. They way they fulfill their roles feels like an actual fusion too: Jude's healing feels like kung-fu healing (I have problems finding the words to describe it) while Milla always has the option to say screw hardcasting this magical arte I'll simply use my sword to deliver it.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

If you didn't have those same problems when recording your LP's of Qoga and Neptunia, then Nature must be one demented bitch.

It's a clear demonstration that there's no just god, no doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Omobono posted:

Jude's healing feels like kung-fu healing (I have problems finding the words to describe it)

If I remember correctly, it's an allusion to "ki/chi healing" (martial arts magic, basically)-- Farah from Eternia and Regal from Symphonia were both martial artists with healing abilities that I think all referenced ki/chi.

• Locked thread